PDA

View Full Version : Life I cannot believe I just lost my dog.

Direckshun
12-06-2013, 10:40 AM
It makes absolutely no sense.

She was perfectly fine two days ago. As she's always been.

Greeted me at the door, tugged on her rope, leashed her up and took her on a huge walk at a local park.

Read some, her curled up at my feet. Watched some TV. Just like any other Wednesday.

She sits perched at my window, watching (and barking at) people that go by. I have an ottoman that I put a blanket on specifically for her, so she can sit there and put her head down, and look out the window.

She was only a Shetland Sheepdog (a "sheltie"), but she was incredibly athletic. Just this past weekend I took her to Busiek here in the Ozarks and she was on my heel the entire time.

In the past 6.5 years I've known her, I've taken her canoing, I've taken her to class, I've taken her pretty much everywhere. If you know me and my family, you almost certainly knew Gracie.

We had our entire line of communication streamlined. We knew each other's moves like figure skaters. With just a whistle, snap of the finger, or monosyllabic command, I could tell her exactly what to do and when. She was so low-maintenance and so well trained it wasn't even funny.

I never worried about her with other dogs, or children (she hated babies, who yanked her fur). I took her to Thanksgiving dinner with an extended family of about 15 people, four of them kids, in a small, crowded house. I'd lose her for a few hours in the crowd, but she'd emerge always towards the end of the night when it was time to go home and feed her.

Yesterday, we wake up and she's walking around, but won't eat, won't drink, won't jump or bark or interact other than sleeping at my feet.

I figure she just ate some bad shit, and it's working its way through her system. S'had happened before.

By the time 8pm rolled along, she was limp. Wasn't hardly moving at all. We take her to the vet, totally perplexed -- WTF. She was fine ONE DAY AGO. What is upsetting her?

A goddamn tumor in her liver, that's what. At least so they think. Something's ruptured. Her stomach is packed full of blood.

I can shell out $2,000 for "exploratory surgery" -- literally where they open her up and simply try to figure out WTF it is and how removeable it might be. But I've had many dogs before. The cancer will always come back.

We had no idea. She never gave any hints. Then yesterday, she flatlines.

And we put her down.

I still have all her shit. I just bought this big bag of dog food. Basket of toys. Her ottoman sits by the window, totally vacated. Seems totally pointless to have all this shit around now. What am I going to do now, go for walks? Go to the park? What the fuck for? She was my inspiration and my motivation. Now she's gone.

She was 6. Only 6. She was supposed to give me a whole 'nother lifetime.

And in one day, that was ripped away from her.

I cannot even process how I feel.

She was only six.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=140&pictureid=1417

siberian khatru
12-06-2013, 10:42 AM
I know how it feels. Very, very sorry for your loss.

Lonewolf Ed
12-06-2013, 10:47 AM
She was a fine dog. The very worst thing about dogs is how short a time they are with us. I offer my sincere condolences.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Damn man.....that's rough. Sorry for your loss.

Silock
12-06-2013, 10:50 AM
:(

Ace Gunner
12-06-2013, 10:51 AM
damn. my sis had a sheltie, great dog. go get another one.

BossChief
12-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Sorry, buddy. I know how that feels and it sucks.

Grim
12-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Terribly sorry for your loss. She sounded like a great dog!

notorious
Sorry, buddy.

Easy 6
Sorry to hear it, i always recommend a new puppy in these situations, nothing like a puppy to put a lil cheer back in things.

Radar Chief
12-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Condolences for your loss.
Been there, it sucks.

KC_Lee
So sorry for your loss.

Mr_Tomahawk
Damn Dude.

Sorry for your loss.

Go to the pound or pet store and hug someone who needs a friend.

BlackHelicopters
Very sorry for your loss.

petegz28
12-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Sorry for your loss, Direckshun.

MahiMike
12-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Aw man, sorry to hear that. Dogs rule.

Buehler445
12-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Sorry for your loss man.

Chief dog is 4 in a couple months. That's not that far behind. I have however, informed him that he must live at least as long as I do.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Sorry for your loss man.

Chief dog is 4 in a couple months. That's not that far behind. I have however, informed him that he must live at least as long as I do.

We've got a Lab/Beagle mix that is 6-7 years old. My wife has had her since she was a puppy. Actually gave a homeless guy a pack of cigarettes for her. I'm not looking forward to that dog passing. Not only because I love her....but because my wife is going to lose it.

Bwana
12-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Sorry to read about this. I have been on a good run of bad luck with dogs over the last year myself and it always sucks to have to put one down.

DMAC
12-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Oh... damn.

Sorry my friend.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Wow. This is the 2nd one recently, no? I'm so sorry, bro. Jesus. Mine is 8 and I will break down and lose it if she leaves me anytime in the next 4 years. I expect to have her at least until she's 12. At least. You just never know though. We'll get together and toast a beer to her honor. If you need anything, just let me know. :(

Beef Supreme
12-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Yeah, it's pretty devastating. Lost my best friend in October. He was only 7.

The best thing I did was get a puppy. It doesn't replace them, but it helps fill the dog sized hole in your heart. And it's a lot of work ... keeps you busy, and gives you a reason to go on walks and to the park.

Radar Chief
12-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Sorry to hear it, i always recommend a new puppy in these situations, nothing like a puppy to put a lil cheer back in things.

After putting down Phoebe the Jeep dog I didn’t want another dog at all but after about 6 months Mrs. Radar shoved a dog we adopted from a shelter off on me. At first I was a bit pissed because all I saw when I looked at Rhetta the Jeep dog was having to put her down in 10 years. So it took a bit but when that goofy little malnourished twig we brought home worked her way into my heart I realized that I can’t dwell on how she will end, just enjoy her while she’s here. Now that I get it, I won’t be that long without a dog again. Dogs rule.

hometeam
12-06-2013, 11:08 AM
I went through the same thing with a 3 year old dog recently. Fine at 4pm, nearly dead by 8pm. 600 bucks later and it looks like he's perking up and he is going to be fine. He makes it overnight with the vet but didn't last the next day.

Dogs are the best kind of people. I feel for ya bro.

gblowfish
12-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Really sorry for you. I lost my good friend Rocky the Cat about six weeks ago. I miss him very much and think about him a lot.

Eleazar
12-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Sorry man. That's a tough one.

noa
12-06-2013, 11:10 AM
That's awful. Same exact thing happened to my boss's dog (completely undetected liver tumor). So sudden you can barely process it. Sounds like you had a great run with your dog, and it's a shame it ended so soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dayze
12-06-2013, 11:12 AM
shit man. I'm sorry. Dogs are the best. I heard something once that hopefully with help me when my dogs 'check-out'

"as bad as you feel now, you would never trade a moment of all the good times and love she gave to you in an order to ease your pain now".

RIP Dog.

HemiEd
12-06-2013, 11:12 AM
So sorry to hear this, as dogs are the best. If only we could be so good.

frankotank
12-06-2013, 11:13 AM
so sorry man. I've been there and it's a bitch.
and you know what....I will be there again.... my current big bubba won't be around forever. he's gonna go too, just like my last big bubba. so I'll have to deal with it again, but it's worth it.

the love she gave you was worth the pain you feel now. you wouldn't trade it for anything.

frankotank
12-06-2013, 11:14 AM
shit man. I'm sorry. Dogs are the best. I heard something once that hopefully with help me when my dogs 'check-out'

"as bad as you feel now, you would never trade a moment of all the good times and love she gave to you in an order to ease your pain now".

RIP Dog.

my dad told me this almost verbatim when my Tank died. I said I'd never have another dog cause it hurts too damn much. and that was his response.
great words of advice.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-06-2013, 11:16 AM
I went through the same thing with a 3 year old dog recently. Fine at 4pm, nearly dead by 8pm. 600 bucks later and it looks like he's perking up and he is going to be fine. He makes it overnight with the vet but didn't last the next day.

Dogs are the best kind of people. I feel for ya bro.

I have never once taken my dog to the vet. Not once in 8 years. I got her vaccinated and fixed at some mobile clinic when she was young. Let her have a batch of puppies first. Why I don't know, but it worked out. She had a skin condition when she was 3 and the vet wanted $600 to do some "exploratory" work to try and find out how much it would cost from there. Yeah, no. Did some homework and found the solution. She just couldn't eat wheat based products. Have to buy special food for her that costs a fuck ton of money, but it's cheaper than all the human food I was feeding her.

This is pretty much why. I'm not going to pay hundreds just to have it not work, or lose her the next day anyways. I've been lucky with her. She's 8. Clearly I take good care of her as far as her diet and whatnot go. I clean her teeth myself. I trim her nails, and do what she needs done. As much as I love her, I'm not shelling out thousands of dollars, or even hundreds if it's not something that's going to fix her.

I'm sorry for your loss. Some would say I'm a shitty dog owner after reading this, but she's healthy, happy, and I don't really know what I'd do if it came down to life or death. In that instance, and I hope it never comes, I'd probably shell out the money. It's just money. I can go make more of that. The time I have with her is limited, and I'll remember her for the rest of my life. She is my first dog. And since I have chosen to not have children, she is the closest thing I have. I even let my wife buy stupid jackets, sweaters, and God forbid it, boots for her. She means a lot more to me than just some average pet for a lot of people, and I don't care what anyone thinks of that.

Sandy Vagina
12-06-2013, 11:19 AM
And we put her down.

I cannot even process how I feel.

She was only six.

Very sorry for your loss. I know all too well how it feels to make that decision and have to suddenly say g'bye to a loved one that falls prematurely ill. Just try to focus on the time you did have, and know that you gave her those years of comfort and love she needed. The feelings of loss and pain will diminish in time, I promise.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/rip.gif

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 11:21 AM
I have never once taken my dog to the vet. Not once in 8 years. I got her vaccinated and fixed at some mobile clinic when she was young. Let her have a batch of puppies first. Why I don't know, but it worked out. She had a skin condition when she was 3 and the vet wanted $600 to do some "exploratory" work to try and find out how much it would cost from there. Yeah, no. Did some homework and found the solution. She just couldn't eat wheat based products. Have to buy special food for her that costs a fuck ton of money, but it's cheaper than all the human food I was feeding her.

This is pretty much why. I'm not going to pay hundreds just to have it not work, or lose her the next day anyways. I've been lucky with her. She's 8. Clearly I take good care of her as far as her diet and whatnot go. I clean her teeth myself. I trim her nails, and do what she needs done. As much as I love her, I'm not shelling out thousands of dollars, or even hundreds if it's not something that's going to fix her.

I'm sorry for your loss. Some would say I'm a shitty dog owner after reading this, but she's healthy, happy, and I don't really know what I'd do if it came down to life or death. In that instance, and I hope it never comes, I'd probably shell out the money. It's just money. I can go make more of that. The time I have with her is limited, and I'll remember her for the rest of my life. She is my first dog. And since I have chosen to not have children, she is the closest thing I have. I even let my wife buy stupid jackets, sweaters, and God forbid it, boots for her. She means a lot more to me than just some average pet for a lot of people, and I don't care what anyone thinks of that.

I paid $3000 in vet bills for one of my dogs....and he still died 3 days later.

hometeam
12-06-2013, 11:26 AM
I have never once taken my dog to the vet. Not once in 8 years. I got her vaccinated and fixed at some mobile clinic when she was young. Let her have a batch of puppies first. Why I don't know, but it worked out. She had a skin condition when she was 3 and the vet wanted $600 to do some "exploratory" work to try and find out how much it would cost from there. Yeah, no. Did some homework and found the solution. She just couldn't eat wheat based products. Have to buy special food for her that costs a **** ton of money, but it's cheaper than all the human food I was feeding her.

I don't mind going to the vet for shots, but that's the first time I have needed emergency service.

I knew there was a chance that he wouldn't make it but he was my best friend and I had to try :( It was a local country vet so he charged less than most, and wasn't out to rack me up a huge bill. Still, I lost both my money and my friend.

Just sucks ass all around.

KCFaninSEA
12-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Sorry to hear that Bro! It sure sucks when we lose em.

KC Dan
12-06-2013, 11:46 AM
My condolences. :deevee:

Mr. Flopnuts
12-06-2013, 11:48 AM
I paid $3000 in vet bills for one of my dogs....and he still died 3 days later.

Which fucking sucks. All the way around. Happily paid the money, and it couldn't save him.

I don't mind going to the vet for shots, but that's the first time I have needed emergency service.

I knew there was a chance that he wouldn't make it but he was my best friend and I had to try :( It was a local country vet so he charged less than most, and wasn't out to rack me up a huge bill. Still, I lost both my money and my friend.

Just sucks ass all around.

I'm the bad guy with that post, not you. I commend you for it. And frankly, if it really came up I'd have a hard time looking my little girl in the eyes and saying "I'll miss you, you're just not worth the money". Believe me, if it came down to it, I probably write that check 10 times out of 10. I'm really sorry you lost your friend.

R8RFAN
12-06-2013, 11:49 AM
I am very sorry for your loss... But do you have to put GD in a post about losing your best friend?

bevischief
12-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Damn man.....that's rough. Sorry for your loss.

This.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Which fucking sucks. All the way around. Happily paid the money, and it couldn't save him.

I'm the bad guy with that post, not you. I commend you for it. And frankly, if it really came up I'd have a hard time looking my little girl in the eyes and saying "I'll miss you, you're just worth the money". Believe me, if it came down to it, I probably write that check 10 times out of 10. I'm really sorry you lost your friend.

Yeah....mine was more of a "shit went down over the 4th of July weekend" and I had to take him to an emergency vet. I'd do it again if I had the money....it's just fucking paper.

Marcellus
12-06-2013, 11:51 AM
That sucks man.

Simply Red
12-06-2013, 11:52 AM
oh man, sorry bud.

Direckshun
12-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Wow. This is the 2nd one recently, no? I'm so sorry, bro. Jesus. Mine is 8 and I will break down and lose it if she leaves me anytime in the next 4 years. I expect to have her at least until she's 12. At least. You just never know though. We'll get together and toast a beer to her honor. If you need anything, just let me know. :(

2nd one in three weeks.

This was "her" dog. Toby (the late, great boxer) was mine.

He passed away -- but we had two seasons to anticipate it. He had visible tumors, we just waited until it affected his quality of life.

Then we put him down. We had 6 months to say goodbye.

This one was a flash. Gracie was perfectly fine one day, terminally ill the next. No prep time. None.

Direckshun
12-06-2013, 11:54 AM
I do want to thank everybody for their kind words. It has helped tremendously.

Dave Lane
12-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Dude that is awful. At least it wasn't prolonged for her. You don't deserve something like that (no one does) you are one of the good guys.

Just remember the good times and give another doggie that kind of love when you are ready.

Fritz88
12-06-2013, 11:55 AM
That's tough. All the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snapplez
Stay strong dude

ClevelandBronco
There are plenty of people I haven't gotten six and a half years of good feelings from. I'm sorry you're dealing with it, man.

REDHOTGTO
so sorry for the loss man, i have had that type of dog (border collie,very similar)
very very smart dogs, wish there was something more to say.......

Mr. Flopnuts
12-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Yeah....mine was more of a "shit went down over the 4th of July weekend" and I had to take him to an emergency vet. I'd do it again if I had the money....it's just fucking paper.

Yeah. That's pretty much it. Paper. I can't see myself picking paper over my dog. She's getting to the age where those things are more and more possible. I just hope it doesn't ever happen, even though I know it's something I can't control.

TheUte
12-06-2013, 11:58 AM
I'm so sorry. Losing a dog is so hard. It's just not fair you get them for such a short time.

It will get better with time.

Agreed, with the people who say to get another Best Friend when time is right, it does help a lot.

I went through this a couple of years ago with both my puppies.

I feel for you, so sorry.

ct
12-06-2013, 11:59 AM
sorry man, our dog is family too, so I know it hurts. you did the right thing, if that is still bothering you...

Mr. Flopnuts
12-06-2013, 11:59 AM
2nd one in three weeks.

This was "her" dog. Toby (the late, great boxer) was mine.

He passed away -- but we had two seasons to anticipate it. He had visible tumors, we just waited until it affected his quality of life.

Then we put him down. We had 6 months to say goodbye.

This one was a flash. Gracie was perfectly fine one day, terminally ill the next. No prep time. None.

That's just horrible. Are you guys down to no dogs? How long do you think you'll wait before getting another one? I've had this conversation with my wife and I told her that we wouldn't wait long. While Kaila can't handle living with another dog, I don't think I can handle having no dog at this point. I'm hooked on the 4 legged little critters.

TheUte
12-06-2013, 12:02 PM
That's just horrible. Are you guys down to no dogs? How long do you think you'll wait before getting another one? I've had this conversation with my wife and I told her that we wouldn't wait long. While Kaila can't handle living with another dog, I don't think I can handle having no dog at this point. I'm hooked on the 4 legged little critters.

My wife and I decided we would go with out Dogs for a while after we lost our 2 a couple of years ago.

We lasted less than a month, just can't stand not hearing the jingle,jingle of dog tags in our house.

bevischief
12-06-2013, 12:03 PM

I have been looking for a new dog since October when we put my dog down and haven't found the right one yet.

Marcellus
12-06-2013, 12:05 PM
My last dog (Chief) died about 3 years ago and I am just now getting another dog next week. I am pretty excited.

I didn't want another dog for a long time, its like replacing a family member.

Direckshun
12-06-2013, 12:06 PM

We're down to 0 dogs.

Went from two dogs, both aged about the same, to 0.

I woke up right on the dot this morning to go feed them, too. They're built into my physiology at this point.

I don't know. She wants to get another dog here in a couple months. She's already contacting breeders.

I've told her to stop talking to me about it. She keeps asking me for preferences and for choices.

I don't have any preferences or choices, right now. My dogs are gone. With Toby I could bounce back and talk puppies.

With how yesterday went down, I can't even think about it. I'm just going to limp through my Friday, be competent enough to survive it, and take a weekend to sulk. Maybe some Christmas decorations will help.

Or a beer with Flop. You never know.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-06-2013, 12:10 PM
We're down to 0 dogs.

Went from two dogs, both aged about the same, to 0.

I woke up right on the dot this morning to go feed them, too. They're built into my physiology at this point.

I don't know. She wants to get another dog here in a couple months. She's already contacting breeders.

I've told her to stop talking to me about it. She keeps asking me for preferences and for choices.

I don't have any preferences or choices, right now. My dogs are gone. With Toby I could bounce back and talk puppies.

With how yesterday went down, I can't even think about it. I'm just going to limp through my Friday, be competent enough to survive it, and take a weekend to sulk. Maybe some Christmas decorations will help.

Or a beer with Flop. You never know.

We need to get together. We can Toby, and Gracie, Chiefs football, whatever you want. I'm locked down with this snow right now. RWD, and a bunch of hills are no bueno. But we'll find a way to make it happen, my friend. Whenever the time is right, I'm not far away. Be well, my friend. I'm really sorry this all happened. Especially the way it did. :(

I love ya.

Bugeater
12-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Oh damn...we had a Sheltie when I was kid, he passed pretty suddenly as well, but he was 10 at the time. They are great dogs, very smart and friendly. Sorry for the loss man. :(

Simply Red
12-06-2013, 12:26 PM
I guess it'll be around 2014 before we have another music session.

Dang man, that too sucks.

But hope you have a nice holiday season, Direckshun.

Simply Red
12-06-2013, 12:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tZJTECe.jpg

cosmo20002
12-06-2013, 12:33 PM
It makes absolutely no sense.

She was perfectly fine two days ago. As she's always been.

Sorry, man. Dogs are awesome. So hard to say goodbye, plus the shock of her being fine just a couple days ago--that's rough.

Titty Meat
12-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Man what a cute dog. I am so sorry Direck. Losing a pet sucks.

Donger
12-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Did it commit suicide after your Obamacare pitch post Thanksgiving dinner?

j/k Sorry for your loss.

Mr. Laz
12-06-2013, 12:45 PM

Mr. Laz
12-06-2013, 12:46 PM
xxxxxxxxxx xxxx Obamacare pitch post Thanksgiving dinner?jk sorry for your loss.
You are such a POS

BIG_DADDY
12-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Love dogs, sorry for your loss

Donger
12-06-2013, 12:48 PM
You are such a POS

Thanks for your input.

spanky 52
12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm so sorry Direckshun.

Mr. Plow
12-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Terrible man. So very sorry to hear.

COchief
12-06-2013, 01:03 PM
So sorry to hear Direckshun, I grew up with shelties and now have two mini-aussies. I am only a few years in and already dread the day that I have to say goodbye. Once you have owned a fantastic herding breed it is hard to go anywhere else. Try to focus on the good times and I would recommend maybe stashing all the dog stuff until you are ready to get a new one. For me, it would be too hard to look at all that on a daily basis for a while. I also feel for all the people recommending "get a puppy" tomorrow, it seems disrespectful to me to do it that soon (weird I know).

Best wishes in getting through what is an extremely difficult time.

MileHighFish
12-06-2013, 01:14 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. As a dog person myself, I respect your decision to give your buddy "peace". It's not a easy decision and you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Condolences from Bronco nation.

Hoover
12-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Sorry for your loss.

I had a buddy just lose his dog in a similar way, fine one day, then sick as hell. She had an enlarged heart and only made it another week with meds.

We have a 13 year old German Shepard, we rescued her at around age 3 we think. She is the greatest dog I've known. We have had some health scares, but in the last 2 years she's been doing awesome. I still know that she's pretty old for a GSD, but she doesn't act like it. One vet said she could make it to 18, but that would be rare IMO. Still at the end of the day I take time to lay down with her rub her belly and tell her what a great dog she is. I fear the day that we lose her. Again, sorry for your loss.

Here are my two dogs.

Chief Roundup
12-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Did it commit suicide after your Obamacare pitch post Thanksgiving dinner?
j/k Sorry for your loss.

Damn dude WTF. That is out of line.

Al Czervik
12-06-2013, 01:24 PM
So sorry for your loss...
What a beautiful girl....
RIP Gracie

T&P's for you DS

shakesthecat
12-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Sorry to hear it, Direckshun. Been there and it really sucks.

Donger
12-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Damn dude WTF. That is out of line.

I was hoping that a quick moment of obvious levity would give Direckshun a small smile. If I was wrong, so be it.

Mr. Plow
12-06-2013, 01:32 PM

Yeesh man.

Halfcan
12-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Sorry for your loss-that really sucks. Still miss my dog after 7 years.

Barret
12-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Sorry for your loss.

The exact same thing happened to my dog of 7 years. He was a Malamute mix and the same symptoms started happening. The way you can tell is when the jaw and mouth line start getting yellow or Jaundiced. I guess that was happening from the Liver shutting down.

I had to make the decision about "Bubba" (he was big, white and from Texas so thought the name was appropriate) It was going to cost too much and the Vet didn't really know what was wrong so if they did something it might not work and prolong Bubba's pain.

They brought him into me one last time. He had a stint in his leg so they could administer drugs and other things. His mouth was all yellow so I knew that something was still wrong but he still came up to me wanting his normal pets from his human. I broke down after that since I knew what had to be done for him so the pain would go away. It still ****ing sucks even typing this cause he was the best dog and had a cool personality.

After they did the autopsy they found a grapefruit sized tumor in the liver.

Losing anyone that has shown love to you hurts and I know exactly what you are going through.

Dallas Chief
12-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Pointless post because I think he has me on ignore, but man that sucks. We had a Sheltie growing up that got run over, best dog ever :(

Sorry for your loss. I know how tough losing a "member" of the family can be.

vailpass
12-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Sorry man...

Tombstone RJ
12-06-2013, 02:02 PM
It makes absolutely no sense....
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=140&pictureid=1417

Bummer, I'm sorry to hear that. There's nothing quite like a great dog, really an incredible companion and a true blessing to have. Sorry for your loss.

Hammock Parties
12-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Graystoke
12-06-2013, 02:10 PM
What a drag. So sorry to hear this.
I remember when I lost my dog all I could do is pace and cry.
Be strong.

patteeu
12-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Sorry to hear it, Direckshun. That sucks.

Pitt Gorilla
12-06-2013, 02:19 PM
That's horrible. Sorry for your loss.

RealSNR
12-06-2013, 02:27 PM
I never like reading these threads because they always remind me of the heart-crushing times when I've lost pets. I remember the black cloud that seems to hang over the household for days and days after they're gone, and how it feels like I can never experience joy the same way again without that lovable companion at my side.

But I still do, because I think it's a good reminder of the enormous positive impact a great pet can have in your life.

That's a tragic loss, Direckshun. From the picture she was a beautiful dog, and it's apparent that she was in a loving home. I think you should grieve the way you need to, but also remind yourself that you made her one happy dog. That's all anybody can ask for out of a relationship with their pets.

vailpass
12-06-2013, 02:32 PM
You are such a POS

STFU

DC.chief
12-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Sorry for your loss direckshun. Losing a pet/best friend can be devastating.

You'll heal in time though and then I'd suggest getting another at that point.

My pup keeps me sane. The highlight of my day is coming home from work and being greeted from her as if she hasn't seen me in years.

Stay strong brother.

Omaha
12-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Sorry, dude.

QuikSsurfer
12-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Man I'm so sorry to hear this... We have owned and bred quite a few shelties over the years -- absolutely love them.

Direckshun
12-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks again, everybody, for the thoughts.

They've been very helpful.

Groves
12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
A world full of pain.

Sorry, man. That stinks that she's gone.

dirk digler
12-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Very sorry to hear about this Direckshun. I know it hurts now but always keep in mind all the good times you had with her.

ChiefGator
12-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Really tough.. I lost a pet suddenly a couple years ago... took me a long time to get over it. Just remember she had a charmed life, and you brought each other so much joy.

Still tough though...

Rain Man
12-06-2013, 04:47 PM
My condolences. Losing a pet is a terrible thing, but not nearly as powerful as they joy they bring.

cabletech94
12-06-2013, 06:51 PM
sorry 'shun. i just buried my cat last week. i'd had him for at least 15 years. hell, he was my kid before i had a kid.
just remember the good times that you had with your pal. you gave him a great life my friend. remember that.

stevieray
12-06-2013, 07:21 PM
My condolences. Losing a pet is a terrible thing, but not nearly as powerful as they joy they bring.

^^^^^^^

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-06-2013, 07:24 PM
That's awful. Unfortunately, it's somewhat common. My in-laws had a Golden that had a splenic mass that ruptured. They found her in the yard covered in snow. My uncle had a Basset with a tumor in the same location. Rather than wait for the time bomb to go off, they put her down, as she was 13.

Cancer is the fucking worst.

Take solace in the fact that you made the humane decision for your companion.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-06-2013, 07:27 PM
D,

There is a wall hanging at my vet's office that says the following:

It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.

luv
12-06-2013, 07:31 PM
So sorry for your loss.

Dayze
12-06-2013, 07:37 PM
D,

There is a wall hanging at my vet's office that says the following:

It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.

:clap:

DomCasual
12-06-2013, 08:08 PM
That's awful. You just can't believe how heavy your heart feels, when you lose a dog - especially one you're as close to as it sounds like you were. Hang in there, buddy!

Bump
12-06-2013, 08:14 PM
very sorry for your loss, Direckshun. Losing a dog is never easy.

tooge
12-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Dogs are the best. I've lost two over the past 4 years. It sucks. Sorry for your loss man.

Direckshun
12-06-2013, 09:54 PM

That's astonishing. God, that's great.

Thanks again, everybody. Can't say that enough. I hope you sense my sincerity.

angelo
12-06-2013, 09:58 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss.
Gracie was a beautiful girl

My thoughts are with you

Ang

KevB
12-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Very sad news, sorry to hear it. I still have my old black lab Magic in my avy, can't see a reason to change it.

Great pic btw, looks like she has a big smile on her face.

rhinson1380
12-06-2013, 10:04 PM
So sorry to hear this.

I had a very similar situation. We had a Bichon Frise who was also 6. She had been diagnosed with lymphangiectasia a couple months prior but were told that with a change in diet, she would be fine for a few years most likely. One day we came home from work and noticed she was a little distant and wasn't wanting to eat. I called the vet and he said he had seen a couple dogs with similar symptoms and that we would be fine to bring her in the next morning.

An hour and a half or so later, she came over next to my wife (she was my wife's baby.... Like her first child) and laid down with her. She sat up and looked around then just went completely limp. We took her to the emergency vet (as the normal vet was closed by this time) and she was basically just limp as they took her back. They started fluids and stuff and kept her over night. The next morning we took her two buildings over to our normal vet where they basically guessed some sort of liver failure, maybe due to the lymphangiectasia, maybe some sort of cancer. They weren't sure. She wouldn't respond to anything and her eyes looked glossed over and a fuzzy white at the same time. There was nothing that could be done for her as she appeared to have had a stroke when she went limp. The hardest decision we have had to make was then, but felt it was right for her. It didn't help at all when she yelped as the medicine was given to her one last time.

So, so sorry for your loss. This is never an easy thing to go through. Will say a prayer for you and yours.

jimw51
12-06-2013, 10:05 PM
I know how you feel I lost my pug very suddenly he was my best friend

CrazyPhuD
12-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Sorry to hear it man. Some of them burn twice as bright as others, just half as long. :(

As to when to get another, it's always got to be the right time for you. But I'll say this, we have to live our lives with what we have today, not afraid of what we might lose tomorrow. No one knows how much time anyone has that's why each moment is precious.

But I'll say this about dogs, no matter how much pain they might be in, not one of them wants to see you said because of them. They are unconditional. :)

houstonwhodat
12-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Aw man I'm sorry for your loss.

I have a Bichon Frise and she is all the world to me.

Psyko Tek
12-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Sorry for the loss of your friend

losing a good dog. really sucks
take a little time
before you get the next one
but do get a next one\

Dayze
12-06-2013, 11:13 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss.
Gracie was a beautiful girl

My thoughts are with you

Ang

Troof

tmh
12-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Sorry for your loss. My Dakota died on my birthday this year. Same situation. Fine the night before next morning i could tell something was wrong. Took him to vet, he couldn't do anything for him. I put him down. And a big chuck of my heart went with him.

Wife wanted another of the same breed. She was born the day after Dakota died.

Get another dog.

Cannibal
12-07-2013, 03:49 AM
She looked like a happy dog! Sorry for your loss.

Sassy Squatch
12-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Have had the same cat since I was 8 years old. He's 13 now. Can't even imagine how horrible it will be when he goes on. Best lap cat ever.

bevischief
12-07-2013, 05:36 AM
Murphy fought till the end he fought cancer for a few months I did everything besides chemo to fight it, 2nd time facing cancer in my dogs. Just glad to have a after hour vet ER to work with our local vet. My wife dog is still looking for him. He was around 7yrs.

Steve
12-07-2013, 07:29 AM
That sucks,sorry to hear.

mlyonsd
12-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Sorry man. The very worst part of owning a pet is knowing you're going to have to go thru the loss. Give it some time and get another one.

Rausch
12-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Sorry for you loss man.

We just got our fist dog (as man n' wife) and it's amazing how quickly they become family.

And I agree that it's better to save an animal suffering than to keep it around because of the loss we know we'll feel letting go...

Carlota69
12-07-2013, 08:09 AM
I am so very sorry. That sucks so bad. I can't even imagine....

Goldmember
12-08-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. My gf's dog died within two weeks of cancer. Went downhill very fast. 8 year old Golden Retriever

Mrs. Loopner
12-08-2013, 04:57 PM
So sorry for your loss.

Earthling
12-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog. I lost mine a few months ago so I know its hard to accept, especially out of the blue like yours went. Lots of good memories...