PDA

View Full Version : Football Kubiak Fired

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-06-2013, 11:10 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just heard from a Texans member who told me Coach Kubiak has informed coaches he has been let go</p>&mdash; Jay Glazer (@JayGlazer) <a href="https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/statuses/409006632631156736">December 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mr. Flopnuts
12-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Heh, shocker. Well, bye! You can come coach the QB's here if you're looking for something short term.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 11:11 AM
About fucking time.

Codered
12-06-2013, 11:12 AM
My guess he will find his way back to Denver's coaching staff next year. Maybe OC?

Reerun_KC
Bring him in for a look, we need QC and QB coach help...

gblowfish
Must be trying to keep their health insurance premiums from going up....

siberian khatru
He deserves it, but I'm surprised they did it so soon after his health issue.

BlackHelicopters
12-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Losing to the jags gets you fired.

ptlyon
Can he play safety?

Ace Gunner
good move by the texans

Reerun_KC
12-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Can help us with the moronic play calling in the RED ZONE????

Ace Gunner
12-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Losing to the jags gets you fired.

did not watch -- was he on the sidelines last night?

Buehler445
12-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Can help us with the moronic play calling in the RED ZONE????

:spock:

Have you looked at the Texans Red Zone efficiency?

MahiMike
12-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Funny. I told folks at the bar last night that he'd get fired after this season. Guess the season is already over in TX.

Next up - Schaub.

Eleazar
12-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Losing 11 games in a row gets you fired.

Fixed

mschiefs1984
12-06-2013, 11:18 AM
I think everyone knew that this was going to happen. It was just if it would happen now or the end of the season.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 11:19 AM

I don't think he watches football.....at all.

The Franchise
Losing 11 in a row gets you fired.

FYP

Buehler445
Funny. I told folks at the bar last night that he'd get fired after this season. Guess the season is already over in TX.

Next up - Everybody else.

Fixed.

wazu
12-06-2013, 11:21 AM
I think everyone knew that this was going to happen. It was just if it would happen now or the end of the season.

Might as well do it now, put the team in the hands of the most incompetent assistant you can find, and lock down the #1 pick.

Reerun_KC
12-06-2013, 11:22 AM
I don't think he watches football.....at all.

:harumph:

There is a different between watching and understand football, which is where you seriously struggle.

alpha_omega
12-06-2013, 11:22 AM
No surprise here.

It wasn't just losing to the Jags...they had a TON of penalties last night.

Reerun_KC
12-06-2013, 11:24 AM

Not even he could screw up 1st and goal from the 1 yard line with Charles in the backfield...

:shake:

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 11:25 AM
:harumph:

There is a different between watching and understand football, which is where you seriously struggle.

You clearly do neither of those two things.

Reerun_KC
12-06-2013, 11:26 AM
You clearly do neither of those two things.

Sure thing Mr Bill Walsh...

BossChief
12-06-2013, 11:30 AM
We need help coaching qbs?

Hahahahaha.

Reid
Pederson
Chilly

Shit, having Alex Smith at QB is like having another QB coach.

dirk digler
12-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Yep. Seems kind of shitty IMO.

mschiefs1984
12-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Might as well do it now, put the team in the hands of the most incompetent assistant you can find, and lock down the #1 pick.

I think Kubiak was doing a nice job getting that number 1 pick lol

Easy 6
12-06-2013, 11:43 AM
A very well deserved canning, too much talent on that team to be that bad.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 11:43 AM
No surprise here.

It wasn't just losing to the Jags...they had a TON of penalties last night.

177 yards. Jesus...

Hoover
12-06-2013, 11:44 AM
I thought that stroke would have bought him the rest of the year.

Maybe that's only the case with the Chiefs.

Red Dawg
12-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Not surpised. Suppose to compete for the big dance and end up with the top pick in the draft. Two loses to Jax? Ouch.

bevischief
12-06-2013, 11:51 AM
First one down...

RealSNR
12-06-2013, 11:57 AM

You, sir, are a huge dumbass.

TEX
12-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Kubes is a very good person. He did a lot for the Texans. I have mixed emotions because he gave it his all and is from Houston. However, it has taken a toll on him emotionally and physically and it might be time for him to move on. He might be one of those Norv-Turner -types that is better suited as an OC rather than a HC.

On a personal note, I've known him since HS. We played against each other when he was a QB for Mt. Carmel and I was a DB at Houston Strake Jesuit. He was one hell of a QB back then. He was a much better QB than I was a DB THAT's for sure - LOL! Seriously, he could really play and we all figured that one day he would be playing on Sundays.

I wish him the best!

TEX
12-06-2013, 12:16 PM

Not really THAT much talent anymore, though I agree that it is better than 2-11 talent. They used to have a TON. Now its elsewhere. They have big holes throughout the roster. If you don't guess right, and Rick Smith hasn't for a few seasons now, you can go down hill fast in the NFL.

Fat Elvis
12-06-2013, 12:21 PM
The Texans, playing Dead for Ted.

MahiMike
12-06-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm gonna laugh when they pick Bridgewater and win with him vs. Jags.

Reerun_KC
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
You, sir, are a huge dumbass.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/grundtal-mirror__26202_PE093307_S4.jpg

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
So Texans have the first pick. I guess they need to trade two second round pick to the Bears for Josh McKown. Then draft Jake Matthews #1 to fill their RT spot. Him and Duane Brown would be great together.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-06-2013, 12:38 PM
So Texans have the first pick. I guess they need to trade two second round pick to the Bears for Josh McKown. Then draft Jake Matthews #1 to fill their RT spot. Him and Duane Brown would be great together.

TRADE DOWN!!

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2013, 12:42 PM
TRADE DOWN!!

Rams have two first round picks. They will want Jake Matthews for sure. Trade down then you can have Taylor Lewan and Cyrus Kouandjio. Even better.

ThaVirus
12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Maybe now they'll put forth a valiant effort against the Broncos and pull out the upset.

'T'would be nice.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I am surprised, I was surprised.

RealSNR
12-06-2013, 12:51 PM

Branden Albert Duane Brown commits too many penalties. He may as well be the worst LT in the league!

The Texans would be far better off trying to make up the trade losses for McCown by trading Brown for a 3rd rounder. Put the rookie in at LT. UPGRADE!

OrtonsPiercedTaint
12-06-2013, 12:51 PM
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/grundtal-mirror__26202_PE093307_S4.jpg

If you don't see your reflection
is that good or bad :fangs:

BullJunkandIron
12-06-2013, 12:54 PM

Would that be Wad Fudups?

gblowfish
12-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Well one thing is for sure. They don't put up with losing for long in Texas.

RealSNR
12-06-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm not the one suggesting that the Chiefs need help at QB coach.

They don't. If anything, they need help at the actual QB position.

And Quality Control? Did you just say the Chiefs should hire Gary Kubiak as Quality Control?

Good Christ. If the dude doesn't take a break from one job to the next, he's at the WORST going to be an offensive coordinator somewhere. He might even get another head coaching job what with the high number of vacancies ever year.

Gary Kubiak. Quality Control. Holy fuck.

AndChiefs
12-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Branden Albert Duane Brown commits too many penalties. He may as well be the worst LT in the league!

The Texans would be far better off trying to make up the trade losses for McCown by trading Brown for a 3rd rounder. Put the rookie in at LT. UPGRADE!

Nah, just move him to LG so we can pay him less.

CoMoChief
12-06-2013, 01:04 PM

Next up - Schaub.

Yup. Pretty clear Keenum is gonna be the guy going forward i guess unless for some reason the new staff doesnt like him.

rockachalk
12-06-2013, 01:17 PM
kinda crazy that a coach gets fired after a 13-3 record the prior season. I haven't seen a team beat themselves as much as Houston has this year. They should have beaten the seahawks along with several other teams this year.

I think it was a stupid move to fire him. They have all sorts of talent on the team, and its largely thanks to him.

Titty Meat
12-06-2013, 01:21 PM

Do you think they will tag Johnson? I wouldn't. He drops too many balls and is a "me" player.

RunKC
12-06-2013, 01:32 PM
The Texans are pretty much the 2012 Chiefs. Very good talent but horrible QB and HC bringing them down.

It's going to be a very enticing for a HC to get that job. Teddy Bridgewater and a Good HC can get them back to the playoffs fast

Fat Elvis
12-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Yup. Pretty clear Keenum is gonna be the guy going forward i guess unless for some reason the new staff doesnt like him.

You're a moran. They are drafting Bridgewater.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 01:56 PM

lolwut?

Keenum will NOT be their QB going forward next year. They'll draft a QB at #1.

TEX
12-06-2013, 01:56 PM
kinda crazy that a coach gets fired after a 13-3 record the prior season. I haven't seen a team beat themselves as much as Houston has this year. They should have beaten the seahawks along with several other teams this year.

I think it was a stupid move to fire him. They have all sorts of talent on the team, and its largely thanks to him.

Well I understand your point about Kubes and feel a very real player in their fall from grace has been Rick Smith their G.M. More on that in a moment. Not to nit-pick but the Texans finished 12-4 last year and I understand your point, however I don't really agree with it. The only team they "should" have beaten was ironically the best team in football, the Seahawks. They lead from start to finish and had the ball for what should have been a game-ending two-minute drive until the now famous, or infamous, Schaub PICK 6. Game OVER - Texans LOSE. All the other games they deserved to lose and could EASILY have lost the only two games they won because both went into O.T. (Chargers & Titans)

Now they "could" have beaten the Ravens, Chiefs, Colts, Patriots & Jags (twice) because they were either close games and /or the Texans had the lead at various points.

Seriously, you are what your record says you are and the Texans didn't get to 2-11 by accident. Not when you lose 11 in a row. There is talent there, but it's not as good as people think and not near as much as what was there a couple of years ago. Rick Smith & Co. MISSED BIG on just about every move and with their evaluation of developmental players the past few years. To add insult ti injury the players who were awarded BIG contracts did not perform and /or got injured. Bottom line is they missed on most everything and are in cap hell. G.M. Rick Smith should NOT get a free pass.

TEX
12-06-2013, 02:10 PM
lolwut?

Keenum will NOT be their QB going forward next year. They'll draft a QB at #1.

I would not bet on them taking a QB at 1.1. They most certainly will draft one, but maybe not with the first pick. They did that already with David Carr and are a bit leery now. Plus there isn't a "can't miss" QB prospect in this draft. They have holes everywhere and will likely pick the best player of need available. Watt paired with Clowney on the D-line could be lethal.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 02:11 PM
I would not bet on them taking a QB at 1.1. They most certainly will draft one, but maybe not with the first pick. They did that already with David Carr and are a bit leery now. Plus there isn't a "can't miss" QB prospect in this draft. They have holes everywhere and will likely pick the best player of need available. Watt paired with Clowney on the D-line could be lethal.

THERE IT IS FOLKS!!!! The first mention of there not being a "can't miss" QB.

Snapplez
12-06-2013, 02:11 PM
I would not bet on them taking a QB at 1.1. They most certainly will draft one, but maybe not with the first pick. They did that already with David Carr and are a bit leery now.

Please don't apply this chickenshit philosophy to franchises other than ours.

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2013, 02:12 PM
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/college/img23974855.jpg

TEX
12-06-2013, 02:16 PM
The Texans are pretty much the 2012 Chiefs. Very good talent but horrible QB and HC bringing them down.

It's going to be a very enticing for a HC to get that job. Teddy Bridgewater and a Good HC can get them back to the playoffs fast

Not picking on you at all but you are an excellent candidate to dispel the myth that the Texans have "very good" talent.

Name it...Then pick a good team and do the same and I bet the Texans come up with less. They'll fare well at some spots, but they have a TON of holes. I agree they have better than 2-11 talent, but it's not what you think it is.

TEX
12-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Please don't apply this chickenshit philosophy to franchises other than ours.

LOL! I hear ya BUT It's the absolute truth. They have been talking about it since it was clear they were going to suck. I'd be very surprised if they took a QB at 1.1. Maybe 2.1, but Clowney & Watt might be too tempting to pass up. Remember, they drafted Mario Williams and not Reggie Bush or Vince Young and they were correct in doing so.

The radio guys have been talking about the 2002 draft when the Texas took David Carr at # 1 instead of Julius Peppers who went 2nd overall.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 02:21 PM
LOL! I hear ya BUT It's the absolute truth. They have been talking about it since it was clear they were going to suck. I'd be very surprised if they took a QB at 1.1. Maybe 2.1, but Clowney & Watt might be too tempting to pass up. They drafted Mario Williams and not Reggie Bush or Vince Young and they were correct in doing so.

Yeah...they should totally take Clowney. Not only does he take entire games off....but you'd neutralize his freakish ability by putting him in the 3-4.

tk13
12-06-2013, 02:23 PM
I think they'll go QB but it's got to be tempting to draft Clowney and put him with J.J. Watt. You could build a devastating defense.

Buehler445
12-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Not picking on you at all but you are an excellent candidate to dispel the myth that the Texans have "very good" talent.

Name it...Then pick a good team and do the same and I bet the Texans come up with less. They'll fare well at some spots, but they have a TON of holes. I agree they have better than 2-11 talent, but it's not what you think it is.

And Johnson is what, 32? Foster might be entering the end of his effectiveness.

Their stars are getting pretty long in the tooth for a rebuild.

tk13
12-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Yeah...they should totally take Clowney. Not only does he take entire games off....but you'd neutralize his freakish ability by putting him in the 3-4.

Tambi Hali will never make it in a 3-4.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 02:26 PM

Ummm....did we ask Hali to play DE in the 3-4?

TEX
12-06-2013, 02:26 PM
THERE IT IS FOLKS!!!! The first mention of there not being a "can't miss" QB.

You dispute it? Remember, the Texans already MISSED at 1.1 with David Carr.

TEX
12-06-2013, 02:27 PM

ROFL Exactly.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 02:27 PM
You dispute it? Remember, the Texans already MISSED at 1.1 with David Carr.

11 fucking years ago. Is there an unwritten rule that says if you miss on a QB...you have to wait 20 years to try again?

TEX
12-06-2013, 02:29 PM
And Johnson is what, 32? Foster might be entering the end of his effectiveness.

Their stars are getting pretty long in the tooth for a rebuild.

BINGO! Not to mention they are cap strapped.

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2013, 02:29 PM
11 ****ing years ago. Is there an unwritten rule that says if you miss on a QB...you have to wait 20 years to try again?

Ravens are idiots for taking Flacco when Boller was a bust.

Sorter
12-06-2013, 02:31 PM

If they hire Lovie, they could have a line of Clowney, Smith/Mitchell, Watt, and Mercilus.

RealSNR
12-06-2013, 02:32 PM

Tamba Hali did it through determination and hard work. He's never been the most athletically gifted guy.

If Clowney is prone to taking plays off, does he have the right attitude necessary to make it as an OLB in the 3-4? Yes, he's got the athletic ability, but is that risk worth it at 1.1?

TEX
12-06-2013, 02:33 PM
11 ****ing years ago. Is there an unwritten rule that says if you miss on a QB...you have to wait 20 years to try again?

SAME OWNER - good memory. He experienced first hand on how a franchise could be set back by drafting a QB at 1.1 and missing. Of course now it's not as fatal with the rookie cap in place, but it still will set a team back in terms of development and opportunity cost. I'm telling you what the pulse is and what has been said so far. I'm not arguing with you. I live in Houston. That does not make me an expert, but I'm surrounded by a great deal of information / speculation regarding this subject.

RealSNR
12-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Ravens are idiots for taking Flacco when Boller was a bust.

And the Colts took Peyton Manning 7 years after they drafted Jeff George.

Don't they realize a large part of why they were picking at 1.1 several years later was because they whiffed so hard on a QB at the top?

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2013, 02:35 PM
And the Colts took Peyton Manning 7 years after they drafted Jeff George.

Don't they realize a large part of why they were picking at 1.1 several years later was because they whiffed so hard on a QB at the top?

Chargers were idiots for taking Eli/Rivers after Leaf busted.

Eleazar
12-06-2013, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't have an issue hiring Kubiak if we were in need of a coach this offseason. 11 straight is 11 straight, but until Schaub turned into a pumpkin they were a contending team.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 02:37 PM
SAME OWNER - good memory. He experienced first hand on how a franchise could be set back by drafting a QB at 1.1 and missing. Of course now it's not as fatal with the rookie cap in place, but it still will set a team back in terms of development and opportunity cost. I'm telling you what the pulse is and what has been said so far. I'm not arguing with you. I live in Houston. That does not make me an expert, but I'm surrounded by a great deal of information / speculation regarding this subject.

David Carr failed because that same owner refused to put a fucking offensive line in front of him.

Marcellus
12-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Chargers were idiots for taking Eli/Rivers after Leaf busted.

Drew Brees 1

Philwip Wivers 0

RealSNR
I still think Charlie Batch could have been a good QB for Detroit if he didn't get the absolute tar beaten out of him in one season

ChiefsCountry
David Carr failed because that same owner refused to put a ****ing offensive line in front of him.

David Carr failed because David Carr sucked.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 02:39 PM
David Carr failed because David Carr sucked.

It didn't help that he had no protection either.

Marcellus
12-06-2013, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't have an issue hiring Kubiak if we were in need of a coach this offseason. 11 straight is 11 straight, but until Schaub turned into a pumpkin they were a contending team.

I don't remember a QB who dropped off as fast as he did this year.

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2013, 02:40 PM

Even if he had protection David Carr still would have sucked. He never had confiedence in the pocket.

TEX
12-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Tamba Hali did it through determination and hard work. He's never been the most athletically gifted guy.

If Clowney is prone to taking plays off, does he have the right attitude necessary to make it as an OLB in the 3-4? Yes, he's got the athletic ability, but is that risk worth it at 1.1?

That's a VERY good point. The "experts" have said that if the Texans were to draft the most talented player in a position of need, it would be Clowney. Can't argue with that. Is that the right move? Who knows? My only point is that the organization is VERY leery of any QB at 1.1 in this draft. If G.M. Rick Smith stays, no way he will go QB at 1.1. He might trade down and get one if he finds a willing partner, or take one at 2.1 but not 1.1. If a new regime is in town, who knows? The Owner will have to be talked into it because he's gone on record as saying how much it set the franchise back last time the went QB 1.1.

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Bob McNair taking a page from the Lamar Hunt owner book. Must be something in the water down in Texas.

RealSNR
12-06-2013, 02:43 PM
The Texans could possibly see a resurgence even greater than what the Chiefs pulled off back to the top of the NFL next year.

They could lose out. That'd make them a 2-14 team. They've got just as much talent on defense as the Chiefs do, especially with guys like Cushing coming back from injury next year.

The talent on offense is also there. I have no clue what they need to do to make all these pieces come together, but the right coach could come in and make them into a 12, 13, and even 14 win team next year.

All depends on what they do with the QB, I suppose. As long as it isn't Schaub.

TEX
12-06-2013, 02:45 PM

You're correct. Remember, he was supposed to have had Tony Bosselli at LT, but that never panned out. Carr was shell shocked by any pass rush and had a very awkward delivery that he never shook. Caused very inaccurate throws. His biggest problem was he could not read defenses so he might have sucked regardless, but maybe not as quickly as he did had he had a decent OL.

RealSNR
12-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Who are the great MAC conference offensive tackles entering the 2014 draft? There's your solution right there, Bob

dirk digler
12-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Sounds like Lovie Smith could be one of their main targets. I don't get why owners like shitty retread head coaches.

While firing head coach Gary Kubiak today, Texans owner Bob McNair made it clear he was looking for experience.

And one guy with successful head coaching experience is sitting nearby.
McNair indicated that former Bears coach Lovie Smith was a possibility for the vacancy, and the timing gives him an advantage.

Smith has been sitting idle since being fired by the Bears, after compiling an 81-63 record in nine years as the Bears’ head coach. That should make him a hot commodity this offseason, in places beyond his native Texas.

That would trigger immediate speculation about the future of quarterback Jay Cutler, who could become a free agent this offseason.

But Smith’s candidacy would stand on its own merits, after a consistently successful run with the Bears.

RealSNR
12-06-2013, 02:48 PM
You're correct. Remember, he was supposed to have had Tony Besselli at LT, but that never panned out. Carr was shell shocked and had a very awkward delivery that he never shook. Caused very inaccurate throws. His biggest problem was he could not read defenses so he might have sucked regardless, but maybe not as quickly as he did.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Texans took Derek Carr at 2.1?

I've only seen one Fresno State game this year, so I don't know much about the brother of David. The fact that the offense uses clapping pre-snap makes me think that Derek will have just as tough of a time reading defenses and adjusting to complicated offenses in the pros as David did.

Buehler445
12-06-2013, 02:49 PM
I don't remember a QB who dropped off as fast as he did this year.

I think it is in his head after the 3 pick-6's in a row.

RealSNR
12-06-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm not a big Lovie hater, but it's usually not a good idea to mix a coach like him with a young QB. An all-world offensive coaching staff might not even be enough to make it work.

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Love Smith, Jay Cutler and draft Jake Matthews. That's Chiefs style right there.

Disclaimer I would take Cutler over Alex Fucking Smith any day of the week.

jspchief
12-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Kubiak is overrated as a HC imo.

His teams have underachieved on a regular basis.

Buehler445
12-06-2013, 02:54 PM

Plus he's a knee diving Donk at his core.

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Jags would then get Bridgewater, with Colts having Luck. Yeah the Texans would be dumb fucks even more.

dirk digler
12-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Love Smith, Jay Cutler and draft Jake Matthews. That's Chiefs style right there.

Disclaimer I would take Cutler over Alex Fucking Smith any day of the week.

Yep pretty much.

I don't know if I would take Cutler over Alex if Alex keeps playing like he has been. He seems like he is always hurt and is a diva.

TEX
12-06-2013, 03:01 PM
The Texans could possibly see a resurgence even greater than what the Chiefs pulled off back to the top of the NFL next year.

They could lose out. That'd make them a 2-14 team. They've got just as much talent on defense as the Chiefs do, especially with guys like Cushing coming back from injury next year.

The talent on offense is also there. I have no clue what they need to do to make all these pieces come together, but the right coach could come in and make them into a 12, 13, and even 14 win team next year.

All depends on what they do with the QB, I suppose. As long as it isn't Schaub.

Well a good QB can mask a lot of deficiencies and the Texans have plenty. The defense is not as talented as it once was. They will lose Smith on the DL this season. Cushing is the only solid LB. Their Secondary has played terrible all year and Joseph has definitely lost something. They were ranked # 3 in yards but 28 in points allowed and near the bottom in Red Zone scoring so the ranking is definitely skewed.

On offense their OL is flat out terrible on the right side. It has not been the same since they let Briesell and Winston depart. Tate is gone next year, who knows how effective Foster will be? He's been going down hill since his mega carry season two years ago. They have good WR's but Johnson is getting up there and they have one proven TE in Owen Daniels and a project in Graham.

RealSNR
12-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Jags would then get Bridgewater, with Colts having Luck. Yeah the Texans would be dumb fucks even more.

In my opinion THAT would set the franchise farther back than drafting a QB at 1.1 and whiffing.

They've got a half-reasonable contingency plan in Keenum if it doesn't work out. It's not like the QB is going to be the only hope on the team for several seasons, and if he doesn't work the team is still left with nothing.

TEX
12-06-2013, 03:03 PM

You might be right. He might be best as an OC.

RunKC
12-06-2013, 03:04 PM

Duane Brown, Andre Johnson, Brian Cushing (well he is injured but I think he'll be back), Jonathan Joseph, JJ Watt, Ben Tate, Antonio Smith, Owen Daniels, Whitney Mercilus, Wade Smith.

They also got a very good rookie WR in DeAndre Hopkins. Really like his game.

Note-I think Arian Foster will be gone next year.

The foundation is there. Add a Teddy Bridgewater and solid HC and they are in the WC race next year like us. Definitely a lot to work with there.

TEX
12-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Texans took Derek Carr at 2.1?

I've only seen one Fresno State game this year, so I don't know much about the brother of David. The fact that the offense uses clapping pre-snap makes me think that Derek will have just as tough of a time reading defenses and adjusting to complicated offenses in the pros as David did.

:clap: ROFL OMG! That has been discussed recently as well around these parts.

The Franchise
12-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Appearing on*NFL Insiders*Friday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen floated current Redskins coach Mike Shanahan as a possible candidate for the Texans' head-coaching vacancy.

TEX
12-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Duane Brown, Andre Johnson, Brian Cushing (well he is injured but I think he'll be back), Jonathan Joseph, JJ Watt, Ben Tate, Antonio Smith, Owen Daniels, Whitney Mercilus, Wade Smith.

They also got a very good rookie WR in DeAndre Hopkins. Really like his game.

Note-I think Arian Foster will be gone next year.

The foundation is there. Add a Teddy Bridgewater and solid HC and they are in the WC race next year like us. Definitely a lot to work with there.

Tate and Antonio Smith are gone next year unless both want to take a pay cut. The Texans are strapped. Joseph has lost a step, Mercilus is not the every down player he was supposed to be.

I'm with you on Foster / he or Tate goes. They might be "stuck" with Foster because of his contract. I also really like Hopkins.

Sorter
12-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Appearing on*NFL Insiders*Friday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen floated current Redskins coach Mike Shanahan as a possible candidate for the Texans' head-coaching vacancy.

I thought they might have some interest in Kyle in an attempt to maintain some offensive continuity but Mike?

Who are the Redskins going to hire?

Garcia Bronco
12-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Duane Brown is having a bad year....but he's a solid left tackle.

dirk digler
12-06-2013, 03:20 PM

I am curious what is Shanahan's record without Elway?

Garcia Bronco
12-06-2013, 03:37 PM

About 500

Garcia Bronco
12-06-2013, 03:47 PM
About 30 games under 500

He's also 48-60 since Kubes left him

houstonwhodat
12-06-2013, 04:28 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

houstonwhodat
12-06-2013, 04:29 PM

Fuck I hope not.

Different face same result.

Chief Roundup
12-06-2013, 04:51 PM

Probably very similar to Belichick without Brady, Dungy/Mora without Manning. Not good enough.

Buehler445
12-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Fuck I hope not.

Different face same result.

Yeah, I would think they would want to dissent from the Shanarat/Donk tree.

Deberg_1990
12-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I think they had been looking for a reason to fire him for awhile. They nearly did it 2 yards ago. It took him 6 years to make the playoffs. He's pretty mediocre.

Easy 6
12-06-2013, 05:09 PM

That's no joke, they take their high school ball more serious than many colleges do.

htismaqe
12-06-2013, 05:13 PM

He got benched for the guy that got benched. Keenum is going back to the clipboard where he belongs...

htismaqe
12-06-2013, 05:14 PM

ROFL

taterhog
12-06-2013, 05:17 PM

this reminds me of another team....now who was it?

Mile High Mania
12-06-2013, 05:22 PM

88-89 Raiders, he was 8-12

95-98 Denver, he was 47-17 (with Elway)

99-02 Denver, he was 34-30 (with Griese)

03-06 Denver, he was 42-22 (with Plummer)

07-08 Denver, he was 15-17 (with Cutler)

10-13 Washington, he is 24-36 .... 13-15 with RGIII

Eleazar
12-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Yup. Pretty clear Keenum is gonna be the guy going forward

Uh... nope.

TribalElder
12-06-2013, 05:52 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just heard from a Texans member who told me Coach Kubiak has informed coaches he has been let go</p>&mdash; Jay Glazer (@JayGlazer) <a href="https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/statuses/409006632631156736">December 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-VN2KRxTdjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TEX
12-06-2013, 06:43 PM
He got benched for the guy that got benched. Keenum is going back to the clipboard where he belongs...

Can't just view it that way. For some reason, Kubes didn't want Case to run the 5-wide set and hurry-up offense. He did the same thing against the Raiders. Really makes no sense because that's what Case mostly ran in college. Just one more thing that nobody really got about Gary these last few weeks...

htismaqe
12-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Can't just view it that way. For some reason, Kubes didn't want Case to run the 5-wide set and hurry-up offense. He did the same thing against the Raiders. Really makes no sense because that's what Case mostly ran in college. Just one more thing that nobody really got about Gary these last few weeks...

Case isn't really an NFL QB. You can't run 5-wide hurry-up on every down. The guy doesn't read defenses very well at all.

Iconic
12-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Case isn't really an NFL QB. You can't run 5-wide hurry-up on every down. The guy doesn't read defenses very well at all.

He went undrafted and spent his entire year on the practice squad. I'd cut him some slack. I think if the Texans don't **** this up they can groom Keenum into a franchise guy.

htismaqe
12-06-2013, 07:54 PM
He went undrafted and spent his entire year on the practice squad. I'd cut him some slack. I think if the Texans don't **** this up they can groom Keenum into a franchise guy.

Do all teams' fans continuously pin their hopes on UDFA's?

Dude, the guy has like a .0000001% chance of ever being a full-time starter, let alone being a franchise guy.

Deberg_1990
12-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Perhaps.....but that Should not stop them from drafting Bridgewater or whoever the top QB is gonna be. That's just stupid.

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2013, 07:55 PM

Dude, the guy has like a .0000001% chance of ever being a full-time starter, let alone being a franchise guy.

Chiefs Way is taking over the NFL. Trade for a backup QB or UDFA. Draft franchise right tackles.

RealSNR
12-06-2013, 08:00 PM

Fuck Manuel, Geno, Barkley, Glennon. Don't want'em.

Tyler Bray and Alex Tanney. Now THEEEEEEEEERE are your QBs!

htismaqe
12-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Fuck Manuel, Geno, Barkley, Glennon. Don't want'em.

Tyler Bray and Alex Tanney. Now THEEEEEEEEERE are your QBs!

To be fair, I wanted Geno or Barkley.

I didn't want Manuel or Glennon (still don't really like Glennon).

So everybody can be wrong from time to time.

However, the percentages don't lie. The deeper you go in the draft, the less chance a QB has to succeed. And I'm not talking about championships. I'm just talking about seeing the field as a full-time starter…

Deberg_1990
12-06-2013, 08:10 PM
However, the percentages don't lie. The deeper you go in the draft, the less chance a QB has to succeed. And I'm not talking about championships. I'm just talking about seeing the field as a full-time starter…

Fans always love to point out the exceptions to the rule. But, but...Montana, Brady, Kurt Warner!

Nobody ever mentions the hundreds of QBs drafted in lower rounds who failed or were pretty much anonymous.

Iconic
12-06-2013, 08:23 PM

I don’t think that's true in the slightest. I'm not saying Keenum is the second coming of Joe Montana or anything, but it seems probable that he could lead the Texans to the playoffs given the proper coaching. Keenum reminds me of Dan Fouts or Daryle Lamonica. He's not particularly precise on short throws, but he can throw it long with decent accuracy. He will certainly stretch the field compared to what Schaub offers, perhaps opening up the running game more for Adrian Foster and Tate. Either way I think it's pretty brash of you to assume there's a .01% chance of him being starting QB considering he's in a situation that happens to .01% of QB's.

htismaqe
12-06-2013, 08:41 PM
I don’t think that's true in the slightest. I'm not saying Keenum is the second coming of Joe Montana or anything, but it seems probable that he could lead the Texans to the playoffs given the proper coaching. Keenum reminds me of Dan Fouts or Daryle Lamonica. He's not particularly precise on short throws, but he can throw it long with decent accuracy. He will certainly stretch the field compared to what Schaub offers, perhaps opening up the running game more for Adrian Foster and Tate. Either way I think it's pretty brash of you to assume there's a .01% chance of him being starting QB considering he's in a situation that happens to .01% of QB's.

"Look I'm not saying he's the 2nd coming of one of the greatest to play the game but he does compare favorably to two of the greatest to ever play the game."

RealSNR
12-06-2013, 08:49 PM
How many rookie QBs go through NFL training camps per year? 20? 25? It's a lot. And half of those are undrafted QBs.

You think about the number of starting undrafted QBs in the NFL the past 10 years and compare it to all the undrafteds in that time, and it starts to sink in just how foolish it is to depend or bank on any of them to lead your team for many years.

htismaqe
12-06-2013, 08:52 PM
How many rookie QBs go through NFL training camps per year? 20? 25? It's a lot. And half of those are undrafted QBs.

You think about the number of starting undrafted QBs in the NFL the past 10 years and compare it to all the undrafteds in that time, and it starts to sink in just how foolish it is to depend or bank on any of them to lead your team for many years.

Yep. I don't have anything against Keenum.

But the percentages absolutely do.

Iconic
12-06-2013, 08:58 PM
"Look I'm not saying he's the 2nd coming of one of the greatest to play the game but he does compare favorably to two of the greatest to ever play the game."

Context shows I was obviously comparing his strengths to theirs. Not entire careers.

htismaqe
12-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Context shows I was obviously comparing his strengths to theirs. Not entire careers.

Sorry man. He's a long shot if by no other virtue than where he was drafted.

Iconic
12-06-2013, 09:21 PM
One day I'll start a keep ****ing doubting Case Keenum thread... one day.

htismaqe
12-06-2013, 09:25 PM
One day I'll start a keep ****ing doubting Case Keenum thread... one day.

:D

BigCatDaddy
12-06-2013, 10:33 PM

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/truestfans.gif

Sannyasi
12-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Keenum sucks. Texans are stupid if they don't look to upgrade the QB position in the draft this offseason.

Simply Red
12-06-2013, 11:46 PM

yes.

The Bad Guy
12-07-2013, 12:56 AM
Who says the Texans have to stay with a 3-4?

They don't even have the players to run a 3-4 anymore.

Sorter
12-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Who says the Texans have to stay with a 3-4?

They don't even have the players to run a 3-4 anymore.

That roster isn't in terrible shape for Lovie's 4-3.