PDA

View Full Version : Life Hypothetical: The best and worst season for a disaster.

Rain Man
12-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Imagine that a major catastrophe hits the nation. It kills 33 percent of the population (evenly dispersed), destroys the homes of another 33 percent, and destroys the utility, transportation, and communications grid.

What's the best season of year for it to happen? What's the worst time?

Rasputin
12-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Spring time would be best. That way got time to restructure before winter.

Fall or mid winter would be worst time.

Rasputin
12-08-2013, 12:10 AM
No disaster would be best for any season.

Shogun
12-08-2013, 12:11 AM
I voted spring, because you still have bearable weather out to rebuild for 8 or 9 months

Bugeater
12-08-2013, 12:11 AM
For me it would fall, because I can heat my home without grid energy. They better have the electricity back up by the following summer though.

Rasputin
12-08-2013, 12:12 AM
If Denver and Oakland were 33% of the population that gets destroyed I could live with that any season. Maybe Rain Man would be lucky enough to be on vacation if one would occur?

Rasputin
12-08-2013, 12:14 AM
What would Gaz option be?

TimeForWasp
12-08-2013, 01:24 AM
An avalanche in mid summer would be refreshing.

BIG K
12-08-2013, 01:33 AM
Imagine that a major catastrophe hits the nation. It kills 33 percent of the population (evenly dispersed), destroys the homes of another 33 percent, and destroys the utility, transportation, and communications grid.

I may be in the minority here but, I am pretty good with all of LA being wiped out...Unless this happens when I am in welding school next year in LA, then maybe Seattle...

ThaVirus
12-08-2013, 01:43 AM
I don't think it would matter much here in Florida.

I'd say spring would be the best possible scenario while fall would be the worst though.

cdcox
12-08-2013, 01:51 AM
Winter would be the best time. The surviving population could tough things out for a few months based on existing stores. It would also allow time for planning and organization to take best advantage of the fair weather.

The worst time would be summer. A disaster of this magnitude would likely decimate crops and prevent a harvest. People would go into winter particularly unprepared.

A Salt Weapon
12-08-2013, 01:52 AM
I'm gonna have to deviate from the group and say Winter would be the best. It would remove more of the population that is unprepared for such conditions without becoming more of a burden on the ones that are able to provide.
The surviving people would be tougher.

mdchiefsfan
12-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Winter would be the best time. The surviving population could tough things out for a few months based on existing stores. It would also allow time for planning and organization to take best advantage of the fair weather.

The worst time would be summer. A disaster of this magnitude would likely decimate crops and prevent a harvest. People would go into winter particularly unprepared.

I agree with this. While rations are readily available (fuel for heat and ample amounts of canned goods) and people are acclimating to the new environment, give them the worst of the weather (winter) while they are the healthiest. This gives them time to prepare and plan for life without modern convenience right as crops are able to be grown and give them time to harvest, thus creating a cycle that they can live by.

Gonzo
12-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Best would be spring, obviously. The worst would be fall or early winter. If it happened mid-winter, the surviving public would have more than enough resources at hand to survive a month or so until the warm up.

It also kinda depends on the disaster. If it's like an EMP, there's enough canned goods, wood Etc.
However, a nuke going off would eliminate all the seasons due to nuclear winter.

The same hypothesis applies for a super-volcano.

Now then, if it's a bunch of Shark-Nados it doesn't make two shits since we'll all be really fucked.

BlackHelicopters
12-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Shark nado would be scariest in the fall.

bevischief
12-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Where does the zombies play into this disaster? Or ET?

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-08-2013, 08:25 AM

Sounds to me like Rain Man either has something cooking or knows something we don't know. I think Rain works for the government.

notorious
12-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Spring best: No Baseball

Winter Worst: No Football

whoman69
12-08-2013, 10:40 AM
It doesn't matter when the asteroid lands, its going to cause a winter anyway after the initial fireball.

Frazod
12-08-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm sure the folks down in Washington, Illinois who are freezing their asses off while trying to clean up from that freakish tornado would not pick fall or winter.