PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Keep Albert Or Let Him Walk?

penbrook
12-10-2013, 01:24 AM
With Albert out it seems like our line has no drop off. I would let Albert walk and put Stephenson at LT and Fisher at RT and also re sign Schwartz. Our line stays the same plus we free up money to re sign players like Smith and Schwartz.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-10-2013, 01:25 AM
:popcorn:

Phobia
12-10-2013, 01:26 AM
I'd love to keep him. He's a decent LT. But not at like 8% of the overall cap. Hell nah. He's a top 15 LT, which is good enough to keep. But it's not good enough to rate an 8 figure per year salary.

salame
12-10-2013, 01:27 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XGmOQzx3hkM/UFVNOeD5SPI/AAAAAAAAHP0/__EjMtigOmw/s1600/SHURE.jpg

TinyEvel
12-10-2013, 01:44 AM
Letting him walk assumes he's healthy enough to actually walk?

12-10-2013, 01:45 AM
With the injury issues yearly and the money he wants to be paid? Let him walk.

cdcox
12-10-2013, 01:50 AM
He's decent enough, but unless his market value collapses like a hyper extended knee, the reality and economics dictate that we let him walk.

Valiant
12-10-2013, 02:04 AM
Whats the thing where we can make an offer or is it match an offer and then get a pick? Could we pull that off for him?

booger
12-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Obviously cant afford to tag him. I'm not sure that whats best for him and what's best for the team are the same thing. If he can get a top 5 contract for a LT he should go for it. In KC the best thing in 2014 would be with Fisher and Stephenson as the starting OT's going forward. Say they resign Schwartz and start him at RG. They still need to upgrade LG. If he's willing to play G and still get enough guaranteed money then that would be benificial to both.

That's not to say that he can't play LT and get into that stupid stuff. It's going to be what he can get on the market vs what they could offer to resign in KC

Phobia
12-10-2013, 02:10 AM
Whats the thing where we can make an offer or is it match an offer and then get a pick? Could we pull that off for him?

The only idiots who will give him 8 figures are the Chiefs. Getting picks for him is a pipedream.

Sorter
12-10-2013, 02:19 AM
Obviously cant afford to tag him. I'm not sure that whats best for him and what's best for the team are the same thing. If he can get a top 5 contract for a LT he should go for it. In KC the best thing in 2014 would be with Fisher and Stephenson as the starting OT's going forward. Say they resign Schwartz and start him at RG. They still need to upgrade LG. If he's willing to play G and still get enough guaranteed money then that would be benificial to both.

That's not to say that he can't play LT and get into that stupid stuff. It's going to be what he can get on the market vs what they could offer to resign in KC

Fuck it.

Move Fisher to LG. Retain Albert and Schwartz. Start Stephenson at RT. That's the best chance at creating an elite ZB line.

booger
12-10-2013, 02:22 AM
**** it.

Move Fisher to LG. Retain Albert and Schwartz. Start Stephenson at RT. That's the best chance at creating an elite ZB line.

LMAO

There's this Asamoah Guy out there that would be perfect in Zone if he's willing to move to C

Sorter
12-10-2013, 02:25 AM
LMAO

There's this Asamoah Guy out there that would be perfect in Zone if he's willing to move to C

Can he snap the ball?

LMAO

ThaVirus
12-10-2013, 02:29 AM
I was wondering that. This is the second time I've heard someone mention moving Asamoah to center. Is that is natural position or something?

booger
12-10-2013, 02:29 AM
Can he snap the ball?

LMAO

Aww shit... Well, I don't think there's any proof on film but i heard he's done it in practice

booger
12-10-2013, 02:31 AM
I was wondering that. This is the second time I've heard someone mention moving Asamoah to center. Is that is natural position or something?

I think he's just a better fit for a zone blocking team. Possibly C but i think scheme is the issue with him, not position. He's strong but his frame is maxed

Sorter
12-10-2013, 02:34 AM
I think he's just a better fit for a zone blocking team. Possibly C but i think scheme is the issue with him, not position. He's strong but his frame is maxed

I'm going to have to re-watch this season before the playoffs.

Saccopoo
12-10-2013, 02:37 AM
LMAO

Asamoah would be complete ass at center.

He let's guys get under his pads all the time and that's where he loses the leverage battle. He also has a tendency to go upright too fast. He'd get killed at center. As well, he's always been somewhat of a finesse player. Defensive nose tackles would eat him alive.

Hudson is a substantially better player than Asamoah. And while he's not 6'5", 330 lbs., he plays very physical with functional strength.

I mean, seriously, WTF?

kcxiv
12-10-2013, 02:38 AM
they are gonna have to let him walk, especially if Stephenson plays like he's playing now. No reason to pay him them big dollars, We need some wide outs in the worst fucking way. Also a safety

penbrook
12-10-2013, 02:42 AM
they are gonna have to let him walk, especially if Stephenson plays like he's playing now. No reason to pay him them big dollars, We need some wide outs in the worst ****ing way. Also a safety

Good thing Lewis is a Free Agent after this year same with Demps and Abdullah.

booger
12-10-2013, 02:45 AM
I'm going to have to re-watch this season before the playoffs.

It's been a wild ride for the ol. They kept the same 5 starters in the same positions from mini camp through the bye week. Reid started mentioning them being the youngest unit and I guess that's what they were doing was trying to stay patient. I thought there was some mis matching in the overall fit of some guys for the power vs zone and most of these guys being used to more of a zone scheme with Reid favoring the power... and Andy Heck with more of a zone background as far as I can tell

booger
12-10-2013, 02:46 AM

He let's guys get under his pads all the time and that's where he loses the leverage battle. He also has a tendency to go upright too fast. He'd get killed at center. As well, he's always been somewhat of a finesse player. Defensive nose tackles would eat him alive.

Hudson is a substantially better player than Asamoah. And while he's not 6'5", 330 lbs., he plays very physical with functional strength.

I mean, seriously, WTF?

i was being sarcastic

Sorter
12-10-2013, 02:47 AM
It's been a wild ride for the ol. They kept the same 5 starters in the same positions from mini camp through the bye week. Reid started mentioning them being the youngest unit and I guess that's what they were doing was trying to stay patient. I thought there was some mis matching in the overall fit of some guys for the power vs zone and most of these guys being used to more of a zone scheme with Reid favoring the power... and Andy Heck with more of a zone background as far as I can tell

It's interesting because Andy tried to have McCoy to run more power initially and then abandoned it much like we are now.

CupidStunt
12-10-2013, 02:50 AM
He's simply a good, solid LT. To be honest I've argued for him to stay in the past, but I think the time's now to move on. Fisher needs to move to LT, Stephenson has proven to be VERY valuable on either side and I think deserves a chance to start, and we all know Albert simply isn't gonna play OG. Fisher/Stephenson makes us younger and cheaper on the edges. As long as Fisher develops as he should (and I think it's clear he'd be way better at his natural LT than RT), I think he'll be a lot better than Albert ever has been anyway.

Anyone who still argues his spot on the team has to make a case for paying him $10M/year to be solid, not elite, while constantly hurting the offense with false start penalties and blocking the development of a more talented #1 overall pick. I can't do that. I don't think anyone can unless they swap Albert for Joe Thomas or the like.

Phobia
12-10-2013, 02:52 AM

I mean, seriously, WTF?

The only thing Asamoah needs is Sampson hair. The dude needs locks. Then he will be fine. Have you ever heard of a shitty Somoan football player in the NFL? I mean, besides the ones who played for the Chiefs?

booger
12-10-2013, 02:55 AM
It's interesting because Andy tried to have McCoy to run more power initially and then abandoned it much like we are now.

I think he's always had a weird mix with his OL in terms of personnel. Big guys that don't make it at OT with less athleticism and pluggin them at G.

All sorts of different guys at C with Kelce and then Jamaal Jackson and Nick Cole Types. I think with the elite backs in LM and JC he's found out he can't help but run some zone with how well they perform in it

pr_capone
12-10-2013, 02:59 AM
I've been calling for Albert's departure since last season. He isn't worth half of what he is making this season. I look forward to him being constantly injured and being petulant elsewhere.

Phobia
12-10-2013, 03:16 AM
For me, he's Victor Riley... I didn't want to drive down to Arrowhead and smash anybody's melon in for the pick but he's not really all-conference, pro-bowl, or standout in any regard.

Two-Twenty
12-10-2013, 04:10 AM
let him go. He wants to take Eric Berry's money.

HemiEd
12-10-2013, 05:35 AM
**** it.

OMG so the 1.1 now becomes a guard instead of a RT? wow

OK, I get it after reading the rest of the thread, I wasn't very wide awake yet. ROFL

UK_Chief
12-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Let him walk IMO

KC Jones
12-10-2013, 06:16 AM
I'd wait to see how Stephenson does outside of that ice game.

Rausch
12-10-2013, 06:23 AM

Yeah. He comes back for the playoffs and has a great game helping us win our first in forever and minds will probably change.

ILChief
12-10-2013, 06:25 AM
Maybe he and Asamoah can share a cab out of town

Rausch
12-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Maybe he and Asamoah can share a cab out of town

Albert will want $$$ and we have some respectable depth at T. I can see the argument in letting him walk.

Big John can be signed cheap and we have absolutely no depth at G...

Ace Gunner
12-10-2013, 06:48 AM
LT Fish
LG Albert
C Kush
RG Schwartz
RT Stephenson

If Kush can show starting caliber that OL would be big boys like Reid likes. If Albert would slide in, he would go PB next year and probably every year after for a few more seasons and Jamaal would ride his blocks into a 2k season or two.

But alas, Albert is a 30yo pussy. **** him.

Chiefs=Champions
12-10-2013, 06:59 AM
Albert isn't a priority and im a fan... Getting EB and Houston signed long term are. Also perhaps trying to find a WR and FS in free agency.

Rausch
12-10-2013, 07:01 AM
LT Fish
LG Albert
C Kush
RG Schwartz
RT Stephenson

If Kush can show starting caliber that OL would be big boys like Reid likes. If Albert would slide in, he would go PB next year and probably every year after for a few more seasons and Jamaal would ride his blocks into a 2k season or two.

But alas, Albert is a 30yo pussy. **** him.

I fear Fish at LT...

spanky 52
12-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Unless he's willing to sign for half of his franchise tag, let him walk.

Ace Gunner
12-10-2013, 07:04 AM
I fear Fish at LT...

ya. whatever.

notorious
12-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Bye.

ILChief
12-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Albert will want $$$ and we have some respectable depth at T. I can see the argument in letting him walk.

Big John can be signed cheap and we have absolutely no depth at G...

Some team will overpay for Asamoah. He won't re-sign here to be a backup. Guard depth can be found in the 3-4 round or cheap free agents

King_Chief_Fan
12-10-2013, 07:36 AM
see ya Albert

bricks
12-10-2013, 07:37 AM
I honestly think too many people around here overhyped him.
He is a solid LT, but will never be an elite or world class LT.

He is what he is. I'd personally let him walk and I really don't think we will lose much. Stephenson replacing Albert is not that big of a dropoff. He is probably going to demand a big pay day anyway and I honestly don't think he will be worth the money.

He will be an example of solid left tackle that'll probably get paid like he is one of the tops in the league when reality is he is not. That's the part that makes me sick.

FringeNC
12-10-2013, 07:41 AM
If Stephenson continues to play well, no chance Albert signs here.

Rausch
12-10-2013, 07:43 AM
ya. whatever.

He's just started to look respectable on the right side...

ChiefRocka
12-10-2013, 07:45 AM
I don't like Andy Reid with no Oline.

Rausch
12-10-2013, 07:45 AM
I don't like Andy Reid and A. Smith with no Oline.

FYP.

BlackHelicopters
12-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Albert is not an elite of franchise LT. Let him go.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Can he be tagged two years in a row...?

If so...I'd try to tag and trade him again.

ILChief
12-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Can he be tagged two years in a row...?

If so...I'd try to tag and trade him again.

You can but it's a 20% raise from this year

Brock
12-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Moving on.

Dayze
12-10-2013, 08:13 AM
bye.

Chiefs need WR help (and Safety) is the worst possible way.
be it from the draft or FA, they are complete dog shit at the WR position.

Lewis is dead weight. Chiefs need a playmaker in the First round in this years draft.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-10-2013, 08:15 AM
You can but it's a 20% raise from this year

I'd still do it and take what you can get in terms of a trade...any draft pick would be better than just letting him walk.

Lightrise
12-10-2013, 08:17 AM
**** it.

This sounds interesting. I think he's too tall and not big enough though. I also have visions of a frustrating rush up the middle. I think the best option is to resign Albert and leave him there and hopefully Kush can take over at center. We need a left guard, Allen can't cut it. I wish we had coughed up a #1 pick for Josh Gordon. That guy's future is bright.

ct
12-10-2013, 08:20 AM
walk, collect comp pick in '15, profit

ILChief
12-10-2013, 08:29 AM
I'd still do it and take what you can get in terms of a trade...any draft pick would be better than just letting him walk.

He would probably fetch a 3rd comp pick by letting him go. You would have to get a 2nd or 3rd in a trade. Don't know if it's worth the risk of getting stuck with that cap number if a you can't make a trade

Mojo Jojo
12-10-2013, 08:30 AM

Only one team showed interest in him at this years salary...who the hell is going to trade for him at 20% more. Never going to happen.

ILChief
12-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Only one team showed interest in him at this years salary...who the hell is going to trade for him at 20% more. Never going to happen.

Plus a year older

Lzen
12-10-2013, 08:41 AM
With the injury issues yearly and the money he wants to be paid? Let him walk.

Not to mention all the brain farts he's had (false starts anyone?). Would love to keep Albert but he's crazy if he thinks he's worth top 5 LT money.

SAUTO
12-10-2013, 08:46 AM
ya. whatever.

LMAO, what has he done to make you so confident in him?

Ace Gunner
12-10-2013, 08:48 AM

that's nice. thx for posting.

Lzen
12-10-2013, 08:48 AM

He's a rookie from a small school who was asked to play the opposite side of what he was used to. What did you expect? Lots of rooks struggle for awhile. He has improved over the course of the season and I expect that to continue.

Ace Gunner
12-10-2013, 08:53 AM
LMAO, what has he done to make you so confident in him?

just keep talking like you know what fisher is all about. we'd all like to read your expert breakdown.

Rausch
12-10-2013, 08:54 AM
He's a rookie from a small school who was asked to play the opposite side of what he was used to. What did you expect?

It's one thing to struggle and another entirely to look completely useless.

He has improved over the course of the season and I expect that to continue.

Absolutely. I think he's finally starting to get his footing.

I think we should let him grow at the position and if/when he's ready move him.

He shouldn't be our LT because of potential it should be due to production...

Rausch
12-10-2013, 08:56 AM
just keep talking like you know what fisher is all about. we'd all like to read your expert breakdown.

You're the one wanting to switch his position.

It's your argument to make, not his...

Ace Gunner
12-10-2013, 08:58 AM
He's a rookie from a small school who was asked to play the opposite side of what he was used to. What did you expect? Lots of rooks struggle for awhile. He has improved over the course of the season and I expect that to continue.

his base was textbook last sunday and from that base, I saw what the staff sees in this guy -- he has extraordinary lateral quickness for a man his size.

Ace Gunner
12-10-2013, 08:58 AM
You're the one wanting to switch his position.

It's your argument to make, not his...

ya, right..

Eleazar
12-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Average, aging, nagging injuries, expecting a lot more money than he ought, potential replacements on the roster, unwilling to change positions...

All signs point to Miami for Albert

Anyong Bluth
12-10-2013, 09:17 AM
I don't think he'd come back for less, and we've honestly invested in his replacement with Fisher, so how do you justify it with limited cap space and other guys you need to resign?

Not to mention any desire to upgrade at some positions like WR, TE, FS, and who else knows where?

Any moves we make on the defensive side I have to think will be resigning current players everyone obviously wants to keep around like Berry and Houston. Unless they find a guy like DeVito who can help and sign for cheap, any additional help on defense should be done through the draft.

We are already spending a huge amount of money (percentage of total cap $) on the defensive side of things, and it wouldn't surprise me if we lost a guy like Jackson to some other team willing to pay him a bit more after he took that huge pay cut.

You have to figure Robinson will be cut, and they will look to replace Demps, and maybe Abdullah- possibly keeping 1 of them if they can sign them to a cheaper contract?

Albert has sort of priced himself out of KC's future, and I don't begrudge the guy for being objective about looking out for his business affairs when he maybe has 2 years left to make some money and then might be able to hang on with a team at a reduced price.

Ironically, in a few years, he may be able to move inside and be able to extend his career because I could easily see him playing at a very high level at guard and the required skill needed bodes much kinder as he ages and loses a step.

Right now, I'm totally confused about what the future or who the hell should be making any decisions along the line. Why?

1.) Reid has a history of less than savory picks and performance along his offensive lines.

2.) Dorsey is coming from Green Bay, who has done a great job with their drafting for a number of years- except that they've always had a bit of a mess when it came to their offensive line, and guys not working out, not living up to their perceived level of talent, or poor signings in FA.

Now, we watch them try to change the blocking scheme:

FAIL

Set a depth chart, and name the starters:

FAIL

Only by injury are they able to figure out a lineup for the 5 guys on the line who should have been starting since week 1, and it took them until week 10 to scrap the stupid power blocking and go back to a zone block scheme.

Even though you can look back to last year and numerous previous years and see how effective they did for Jamal, and that's with Cassel under center - which means every damn team knew to stack the box and crowd the line because we presented a passing attack that was less of a threat than an 8th grade middle school team.

That's why I worry, because it seems our front office guys and coaches don't really have a clue when it come to the offensive line.

CaliforniaChief
12-10-2013, 09:20 AM
I like Albert. A lot. But with our cap situation moving forward, and Fisher beginning to emerge with Stephenson already in the fold, I'm content to let him walk.

Guys like Justin Houston are worth far more and will need to be paid accordingly.

Eleazar
12-10-2013, 09:25 AM

Increasing his salary 20% over the average of the top 5 players at LT in the league would make him even harder to trade.

He's an ok starter in the NFL, but the team feels we have his replacements on the roster and there's no reason whatsoever to pay Albert money when his backup seems capable and we have a lot of other players we could be giving extensions to.

Rausch
12-10-2013, 09:26 AM
I like Albert. A lot. But with our cap situation moving forward, and Fisher beginning to emerge with Stephenson already in the fold, I'm content to let him walk.

Guys like Justin Houston are worth far more and will need to be paid accordingly.

Agreed.

Right now no one deserves paid more than Houston.

I just hate having to let a solid starter go when we already have line issues.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 09:29 AM
With Stephenson and Fisher, we just can't afford to keep Albert.

He's a solid LT but he's getting paid like a top 5 LT.

Like I others, I felt would should keep him up until this past draft. But we need to free up that money now.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Increasing his salary 20% over the average of the top 5 players at LT in the league would make him even harder to trade.

He's an ok starter in the NFL, but the team feels we have his replacements on the roster and there's no reason whatsoever to pay Albert money when his backup seems capable and we have a lot of other players we could be giving extensions to.

Correct.

By franchising him again, we paint ourselves into a corner. While it be nice to get something for him, I would imagine we'd just find ourselves stuck with him.

Fat Elvis
12-10-2013, 09:30 AM
I know I'm going to get killed on here for this, but I would let Albert walk and take the comp pick we would get for him--prolly a 3rd rounder given him being a former franchise player. In the offseason, I would sign Jonathan Martin-lets face it, he's gonna be available- and move him inside to one of the guard positions. He's big and fast, I just think he had problems working in open space in the NFL. I also think Reid's "family" atmosphere is what will help him thrive on a team, plus the guy is really smart and could pick up the playbook in a heartbeat.

Maybe we could work a deal with Miami where we tag Albert and trade him for their third and Martin. They were willing to offer a third last year. Albert is willing to restructure and everyone wins. I think Martin has a possible future in the NFL, just not at Tackle.

Anyong Bluth
12-10-2013, 09:32 AM
It's one thing to struggle and another entirely to look completely useless.

Absolutely. I think he's finally starting to get his footing.

I think we should let him grow at the position and if/when he's ready move him.

He shouldn't be our LT because of potential it should be due to production...

I definitely saw some play out of him this last Sunday that I was very pleased with. I just think everyone expected that would be his level of play from week 1 and not with only 3 games left. I think he will get there and next year this will probably be much ado about nothing.

I don't think we are seeing a repeat of Trazelle Jenkins.

People can dismiss the jump from Central Michigan all they want, but the fact is he never even saw close to the level of skill or talent he has faced this year, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have the athletic skill and intelligence to adjust, refine his technique, and turn out to be a great starting OT - on the Left side.

He did have the highest level rating of any Chiefs player last Sunday, and the guys he was assigned against weren't just PoS scrubs.

Chief Roundup
12-10-2013, 09:34 AM
I know I'm going to get killed on here for this, but I would let Albert walk and take the comp pick we would get for him--prolly a 3rd rounder given him being a former franchise player. In the offseason, I would sign Jonathan Martin-lets face it, he's gonna be available- and move him inside to one of the guard positions. He's big and fast, I just think he had problems working in open space in the NFL. I also think Reid's "family" atmosphere is what will help him thrive on a team, plus the guy is really smart and could pick up the playbook in a heartbeat.

Maybe we could work a deal with Miami where we tag Albert and trade him for their third and Martin. They were willing to offer a third last year. Albert is willing to restructure and everyone wins. I think Martin has a possible future in the NFL, just not at Tackle.

Why would Albert restructure? He doesn't have a contract. We would have to tag Albert to be able to trade him.

Wallcrawler
12-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Albert isn't the caliber of LT where your offense is drasticly affected when he goes out. Albert and/or his agent seem to think that he is an elite LT.

Think back to the Vermiel era and what happened to our offense when Willie Roaf went out with that hamstring. Our entire offense basically collapsed. Roaf was a guy you just didn't know how ****ing awesome he really was until he wasn't in there.

Albert, as we have seen, can be serviceably replaced, and his replacement didn't rack up Albert's obligatory 3-5 false starts.

With his health, combined with the kind of money he wants, I feel like we have to let him walk if his agent doesn't come to his senses on the contract.

Its clearly not the end of the world on offense if we don't have him in there, and nobody in Arrowhead is sitting on pins and needles to see if he plays next week.

Edit: Oh and hell fucking no to signing Jonathan Martin. Are you kidding me? Youre over six feet, 300 pounds and you cant stand up for yourself? No thanks to signing a soft ass bitch who was a scrub on the field, knew it, and decided to cause as much trouble as he could on his way out of the league.

Anyong Bluth
12-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Why would Albert restructure? He doesn't have a contract. We would have to tag Albert to be able to trade him.

As unlikely as it is, and it won't happen, the Chiefs would have to tag him knowing expressly they are going to trade him, and then the other team would have to have a long term contract already worked out with him.

Not sure they go that route- especially if they have another guy who they definitely don't want to lose and tag while they're negotiating a new contract with his agent.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Albert's time here is up. But I cannot believe the OP wasn't roasted for suggesting we resign Smith THIS offseason...

Iowanian
12-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Albert has been a solid player and Chief, but with the salary he is going to get, he's not a value and the cap money is better spent locking up other players.

Eleazar
12-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Correct.

By franchising him again, we paint ourselves into a corner. While it be nice to get something for him, I would imagine we'd just find ourselves stuck with him.

I think that even if we took that risk, we'd end up settling for something that might only be comparable to the pick we'd get for letting him walk.

Chief Roundup
12-10-2013, 09:46 AM

With Albert being a former 1st round draft pick we would surely get a compensatory 3rd round draft pick.
So whatever compensation we might could get from another team would have to be much better than that. I just don't see that happening. Albert has a minor injury history. Has shown his ass in the media about not wanting to play any position other than LT. He is a top 10 to 15 LT not a top 5 LT.

RunKC
12-10-2013, 09:47 AM
We've played better without him recently.

Let him go, start Fisher and Stephenson at the tackle spots next year and use that money to give Justin Houston an extension.

Rausch
12-10-2013, 09:48 AM
I definitely saw some play out of him this last Sunday that I was very pleased with. I just think everyone expected that would be his level of play from week 1 and not with only 3 games left. I think he will get there and next year this will probably be much ado about nothing.

I don't think we are seeing a repeat of Trazelle Jenkins.

People can dismiss the jump from Central Michigan all they want, but the fact is he never even saw close to the level of skill or talent he has faced this year, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have the athletic skill and intelligence to adjust, refine his technique, and turn out to be a great starting OT - on the Left side.

He did have the highest level rating of any Chiefs player last Sunday, and the guys he was assigned against weren't just PoS scrubs.

Everyone knew coming out the guy hadn't faced top level (college) talent and was more raw. He wasn't a 4 year starter.

He was always going to be a long-term prospect.

Chief Roundup
12-10-2013, 09:49 AM
As unlikely as it is, and it won't happen, the Chiefs would have to tag him knowing expressly they are going to trade him, and then the other team would have to have a long term contract already worked out with him.

Not sure they go that route- especially if they have another guy who they definitely don't want to lose and tag while they're negotiating a new contract with his agent.

Right, but either way there is no restructuring since he doesn't have a contract passed the end of the season.

Eleazar
12-10-2013, 09:50 AM
I have to say, this is a remarkable change in the Planet's opinion on Albert from this offseason. People would seethe and cut you to ribbons for merely suggesting that Albert was good-but-not-great or that letting him go might be a good idea.

chiefzilla1501
12-10-2013, 09:52 AM
I know offensive line is important. But if I'm spending that kind of coin, he better be a top 5 tackle. I would much rather spend cheap and keep drafting a pipeline of tackles than commit to Albert long term.

If we have a good left tackle versus a great left tackle, that's really all we need to make a championship run. If we don't have receivers who can make plays... That to me really hurts our chances.

Our cap is tight. Freeing Albert helps us tremendously.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 09:52 AM

Albert can't be "restructured". He's a franchise player, he doesn't have a long-term contract.

Tagging him again makes his cap hit go up even more. Probably to the point where he's not tradeable and we'd be stuck with him.

We need his cap space more than we need him at this point. We should let him walk, even if it's for nothing.

Sandy Vagina
12-10-2013, 09:54 AM
We've played better without him recently.

Let him go, start Fisher and Stephenson at the tackle spots next year and use that money to give Justin Houston an extension.

Yes. Free up that money to be used on your other star rush LB. Albert's good, but not good enough to pay 10+ million to.

Determine which spot best fits Fisher and Stephenson moving forward into the offseason. Try to re-sign Schwartz for moderate pay, and let Asamoah walk too. No one desires lots of OL changes, but in KC's situation, they just have to deal with them.

ct
I have to say, this is a remarkable change in the Planet's opinion on Albert from this offseason. People would seethe and cut you to ribbons for merely suggesting that Albert was good-but-not-great or that letting him go might be a good idea.

guess my memory is cross wired, it seems the albert debate has always been about 50-50 split. even late in the draft process when we realized he was not getting traded, I thought general consensus was let him play out the 1 year franchise contract and let him walk.

htismaqe

We thought this team had far more holes than it apparently does.

Seeing a 2-14 team win 9 games to start the next season changes A LOT of things.

Rausch
12-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Albert can't be "restructured". He's a franchise player, he doesn't have a long-term contract.

Tagging him again makes his cap hit go up even more. Probably to the point where he's not tradeable and we'd be stuck with him.

We need his cap space more than we need him at this point. We should let him walk, even if it's for nothing.

We'd get a respectable comp pick for him walking.

That's at least something...

Eleazar
Even if Albert could 'restructure' why would he do it at this point?

If he hits the open market, he will get paid. If he wants to stay here, he can bring the best offer back to KC and say he'll stay if they match it.

If the Chiefs were to franchise him, he'll be the highest paid LT in the NFL.

It would be foolish for him to sign a long term deal, would it not?

Sandy Vagina
We should let him walk, even if it's for nothing.

... and as others have said and you likely know full well, KC would end up getting a nice compensatory pick from the Albert departure too.

Fat Elvis
12-10-2013, 09:56 AM

Albert can be restructured by the team that trades for him--in this case, the Dolphins. They wanted him last year, and they want a way to get out of the Jonathan Martin situation- this is that opportunity. It also nets us a OL and a draft pick.

ct
12-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Yes. Free up that money to be used on your other star rush LB. Albert's good, but not good enough to pay 10+ million to.

Determine which spot best fits Fisher and Stephenson moving forward into the offseason. Try to re-sign Schwartz for moderate pay, and let Asamoah walk too. No one desires lots of OL changes, but in KC's situation, they just have to deal with them.

fact is, we've already made those OL changes, and they appear to be a marked improvement

Rausch
12-10-2013, 09:57 AM

Right now I'd argue Houston is the most valuable player this franchise has.

He's the most complete LB (Pass coverage, run, Pass rush) this team has had since I've been a fan.

He's absolutely priority #1...

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 09:58 AM
We'd get a respectable comp pick for him walking.

That's at least something...

... and as others have said and you likely know full well, KC would end up getting a nice compensatory pick from the Albert departure too.

I know. I'm saying it would be worth letting him walk even if we didn't get the compensatory pick.

We just can't afford to pay the sticker price. Even if we could sign him to a long-term deal at 10% below value, that's a huge price tag. We need to get Houston locked up, we need safeties, corners, and receivers.

Paying Albert just ain't in the cards.

Anyong Bluth
Everyone knew coming out the guy hadn't faced top level (college) talent and was more raw. He wasn't a 4 year starter.

He was always going to be a long-term prospect.

I don't disagree, but once he became pick 1.1 a lot people seemed to expect all pro LT play from him from day 01 when they hit the ground running out of training camp.

Rausch
Albert can be restructured by the team that trades for him--in this case, the Dolphins. They wanted him last year, and they want a way to get out of the Jonathan Martin situation- this is that opportunity. It also nets us a OL and a draft pick.

We aren't going to risk sinking franchise money there...

Chief Roundup
guess my memory is cross wired, it seems the albert debate has always been about 50-50 split. even late in the draft process when we realized he was not getting traded, I thought general consensus was let him play out the 1 year franchise contract and let him walk.

My hope was that he would have a good year and then we would be able to tag and trade him. But he has not had a good year. He has missed more time due to injury. So he is not worth the risk of tagging him in order to be able to trade him, especially when we can get a 3rd round pick by letting him walk.

crossbow
Let him walk, seems to get injured every year at about this time. He is very good but not worth franchise money and he is going to be stubborn about it so they have to let him go.

Halfcan
With the injuries, the penalties and missed blocks-besides Lewis-Albert is the most disapointing player on the team. Let him walk. A second round pick for him would have been nice.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 09:59 AM

Nobody is going to want Albert, especially with his injury history, for the price that the franchise tag would almost certainly require. He's not going to restructure for peanuts when he could just take the franchise tag and be the highest-paid LT in football for a year...

ct
12-10-2013, 09:59 AM
no guarantee for comp picks, even if he signs big long term deal. we have to consider all offseason moves in totality. lot of folks want to sign a stud S or WR in free agency, which could effectively wash the loss of albert. if you let him walk with the intention of getting comp picks, you do so with the thought process of lesser FA signings elsewhere and draft prospects, not other big splash FAs.

Fat Elvis
12-10-2013, 10:00 AM

If we tag Albert again, he can negotiate with a team that is interested in his services. Trading him to the Dolphins after the tag nets them their LT and an out for the Martin situation and nets us a potential OL and a pick that is marginally better than a compensatory pick for letting him walk.

Rausch
12-10-2013, 10:01 AM
I don't disagree, but once he became pick 1.1 a lot people seemed to expect all pro LT play from him from day 01 when they hit the ground running out of training camp.

It wasn't going to happen.

It's why I didn't like the pick.

A high risk/high reward guy is a good pick at 15 or 20 - not at 1.1

Chief Roundup
12-10-2013, 10:01 AM

So then you are saying we should trade him now? Otherwise he has NO CONTRACT to restructure. If we tag him he doesn't have to sign the tender for us to be able to work out a trade with another team. Once an agreement is met we would simply remove the tag and trade him. There would be no contract between us and him so I still don't understand where you are coming up with this "restructure" stuff.

Rausch
12-10-2013, 10:02 AM
So then you are saying we should trade him now?

We can't.

Even if he had a longer contract the trade deadline is gone...

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 10:04 AM
If we tag Albert again, he can negotiate with a team that is interested in his services. Trading him to the Dolphins after the tag nets them their LT and an out for the Martin situation and nets us a potential OL and a pick that is marginally better than a compensatory pick for letting him walk.

If we tag him again, his contract increases by 20% immediately. It's a provision in the CBA.

Nobody is going to want him.

Fat Elvis
12-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Nobody is going to want Albert, especially with his injury history, for the price that the franchise tag would almost certainly require. He's not going to restructure for peanuts when he could just take the franchise tag and be the highest-paid LT in football for a year...

Albert needs to understand that this is probably his last big dollar long term contract. He will restructure for a front loaded deal that will give him more money than what he could make in a one year franchise deal. He's not going to want to try and get a better long term deal next year. Next year he is going to be 30 and he missed some games this year. That said, he still has a few decent years left in all likelihood and could command a high salary on the open market this year.

chiefzilla1501
12-10-2013, 10:07 AM
It wasn't going to happen.

It's why I didn't like the pick.

A high risk/high reward guy is a good pick at 15 or 20 - not at 1.1

I don't know why people call him high risk. I will worry about that if he peaks way lower than he should.

I didn't like the pick because I'm not a fan of drafting a tackle that high. But we have to put our hate for the pick aside. He has great feet, athleticism, and keeps improving. Physically and mentally, he seems to check out with flying colors.

Fat Elvis
12-10-2013, 10:08 AM
If we tag him again, his contract increases by 20% immediately. It's a provision in the CBA.

Nobody is going to want him.

That is why he would restructure/renegotiate his contract. No one will take his one year deal as is, but he can still get some coin if he signs a long term deal.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Albert needs to understand that this is probably his last big dollar long term contract. He will restructure for a front loaded deal that will give him more money than what he could make in a one year franchise deal. He's not going to want to try and get a better long term deal next year. Next year he is going to be 30 and he missed some games this year. That said, he still has a few decent years left in all likelihood and could command a high salary on the open market this year.

By tagging him, the Chiefs set the market. Let other teams set the market, it will be significantly lower.

You're strategy all but guarantees that the Chiefs will be stuck with him, at a cap number higher than this year's.

Chief Roundup
12-10-2013, 10:09 AM
If we tag Albert again, he can negotiate with a team that is interested in his services.

He can negotiate with them after the teams come to an agreement on compensation. The risk of being stuck with him at the tag price is to high for a marginally better 3rd round pick.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 10:09 AM
That is why he would restructure/renegotiate his contract. No one will take his one year deal as is, but he can still get some coin if he signs a long term deal.

You're assuming that the restructure would benefit Albert to the point that just accepting the tag would.

Why did he come back this year? Because he couldn't get a deal done that was comparable to the tag.

You're hypothetical is pure fantasy.

Rausch
12-10-2013, 10:10 AM
He can negotiate with them after the teams come to an agreement on compensation. The risk of being stuck with him at the tag price is to high for a marginally better 3rd round pick.

This.

The Chiefs would have absolutely no leverage...

Chief Roundup
12-10-2013, 10:10 AM
We can't.

Even if he had a longer contract the trade deadline is gone...

That is what I was thinking. But I have been wrong before. I was mainly trying to get to the bottom of this restructure. There simply could not be one.

Rausch
12-10-2013, 10:11 AM
That is what I was thinking. But I have been wrong before. I was mainly trying to get to the bottom of this restructure. There simply could not be one.

Right...

TEX
12-10-2013, 10:15 AM

This...
And when you really think about it, it's not like anyone was lining up to get him last year. I hate to see the Chiefs just let him walk and bank that the compensatory pick gods will be with the Chiefs when it comes time to award a pick, BUT I can't see tagging him either and strapping the team financially. This is going to be an important off season as far as acquiring players that can get the Chiefs to serious contender status next season. In the past when KC has been in this position, they've stayed pat. Having said that, the lesser of two evils is to let him walk if a "reasonable" contract can't be worked out. Fact is, he's a now often-injured slightly above average at best LT.

Chief Roundup
12-10-2013, 10:16 AM

How could a one year contract be restructured? Where is the money going to go? Why would him or another team care if he restructured the tag money for the Chiefs? Any team that would trade for him will sign him to a long term deal that would nullify the tag money.
There is no restructuring that can or would be done that I can see in any way.
Someone please enlighten me....

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 10:26 AM
How could a one year contract be restructured? Where is the money going to go? Why would him or another team care if he restructured the tag money for the Chiefs? Any team that would trade for him will sign him to a long term deal that would nullify the tag money.

The team trading for him would have to essentially give him a new deal before the trade could be compensated. They're not restructuring his 1-year franchise tag deal. You're exactly right.

And by tagging him, we automatically set the starting point for his negotiating with other teams, which is WELL above market value now (seeing that he's on the bench hurt again).

There's no reason to tag him. None.

Fat Elvis
12-10-2013, 10:35 AM

Once he is tagged and compensation has been agreed upon by the teams, he is free to renegotiate his contract. The Dolphins want out of the Martin mess something fierce and need OL; they aren't going to find someone better on the open market that is better than Albert.

Worst case scenario is that we rescind the tag and let him walk. He isn't going to want to immediately sign the tender because he will want a long term deal.

If Dorsey does his job, we won't have to worry about Berry and Houston.

It is a gamble, but not a big one IMO; Albert will want a long term deal and will look for one. The most likely suitor is Miami. He wants to go there; they want him.

philfree
12-10-2013, 11:03 AM
It all depends on how much he'll sign for. He's not going to get that big contract he wants at his age and at his skill level. So if he settles for less then maybe we could sign him and move him to LG and backup LT.

ThaVirus
12-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Well, it seems we have a capable replacement in Stephenson so at this very moment I'd say let him walk. He's going to deman too much, has had penalty issues this season and is getting banged up a lot more than I remember.

On the subject of the cap, how much is Houston worth? $8 mil per year?

CaliforniaChief
12-10-2013, 11:07 AM
As I said previously, I really like BA. He's been a very good LT for us and definitely was a nice draft pick by Carl/Herm. What an amazing draft that was.

That said, if you look at the great teams...the ones that are perennial contenders...they rarely pay guys like Albert what they'll make on the market. They draft guys and go next man up. Fisher's coming on strong. He'll be our LT for at least the next 5-7 years. And Stephenson had better step in and be good at RT considering who Seattle picked after we took him. We can easily get another mid-round pick to develop on the edge.

You have to make choices and set priorities, and there's no way Albert fits that financial structure. Be prepared, there are going to be some guys gone next year that will hurt to see them go...but in a sense that's a good thing as we begin to see other guys step in.

Ace Gunner
12-10-2013, 11:07 AM
It all depends on how much he'll sign for. He's not going to get that big contract he wants at his age and at his skill level. So if he settles for less then maybe we could sign him and move him to LG and backup LT.

that's what I would do. he'd be about the best LG in the league almost instantly.

CaliforniaChief
12-10-2013, 11:11 AM
What indication do you have that Albert would move to guard? Guards don't get paid what tackles make, and Albert blew up his last Twitter account going apeshit when it was suggested.

Despite what was said, Fisher wasn't drafted to play RT. It's a one-year plug until Albert's gone and Fisher's ready.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 11:13 AM
that's what I would do. he'd be about the best LG in the league almost instantly.

Brandon Albert made it very clear that he's not a LG. It's never going to happen.

RunKC
12-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Last year we could have traded him for a 3rd round pick. In 2015 we will most likely receive a 3rd round comp pick.

Even deal, plus we save $11 million for Justin Houston.

philfree
12-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Brandon Albert made it very clear that he's not a LG. It's never going to happen.

Probably right but then again that was last year. I don't think he's in as strong of position as he was last year so he might end up signing a different tune. He's just not going to get the money he wants in a long term contract at his age and with the way he's played this year.

ChiefRocka
12-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Average, aging, nagging injuries, expecting a lot more money than he ought, potential replacements on the roster, unwilling to change positions...

All signs point to Miami for Albert

Ok, Albert for Martin straight up?

ct
12-10-2013, 11:31 AM

that IS the restructure he's talking about, it's not that hard, geez let it go already

I don't like the idea anyway. he'll pounce on the 1 year franchise tender just like he did last year, and if trade does not develop, we're stuck with it or just cut and bail (no guaranteed $ for tender contract). just don't see it playing out as you'd hope

bevischief
12-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Walk.

Eleazar
12-10-2013, 11:41 AM

Why would Miami want to pay 20% above the franchise tag for Albert AND trade a player for him, when they could just not trade for him and sign him as a free agent for far less?

The Franchise
12-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Tagging him and trading him isn't going to happen.

Albert is gone after this year.

TEX
12-10-2013, 12:16 PM

Why? Martin sucks.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't like the idea anyway. he'll pounce on the 1 year franchise tender just like he did last year, and if trade does not develop, we're stuck with it or just cut and bail (no guaranteed $ for tender contract). just don't see it playing out as you'd hope

This.

Why mess with it? Just let him go, take the comp picks, and move on.

Chief Roundup
12-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Just another thought about Albert, the tag, and a new contract.
Contracts are mostly about guaranteed money. How much guaranteed money is he going to get in a new contract? How much is the tag worth,guaranteed money, for him at the escalated rate? If the tag is more then it would be enticing for him to take the franchise tender knowing that again it is just for one year and he could possibly sign a better contract next season, if he could stay healthy. If he is having health issues he just got as much, probably more guaranteed money, in on year than he would have for the new contract.
He would be maximizing his earning/profit potential.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Why would Miami want to pay 20% above the franchise tag for Albert AND trade a player for him, when they could just not trade for him and sign him as a free agent for far less?

This.

warrior
12-10-2013, 12:22 PM
-Bye Albert not buy Albert

SportCardPoster
12-10-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm a spamming piece of shit.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Just another thought about Albert, the tag, and a new contract.
Contracts are mostly about guaranteed money. How much guaranteed money is he going to get in a new contract? How much is the tag worth,guaranteed money, for him at the escalated rate? If the tag is more then it would be enticing for him to take the franchise tender knowing that again it is just for one year and he could possibly sign a better contract next season, if he could stay healthy. If he is having health issues he just got as much, probably more guaranteed money, in on year than he would have for the new contract.
He would be maximizing his earning/profit potential.

The tag is guaranteed money.

The Franchise
12-10-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't think there is anyone right now that we would use our tag on.

Chief Roundup
12-10-2013, 12:32 PM
I quoted a spamming piece of shit.

Chief Roundup
12-10-2013, 12:34 PM
The tag is guaranteed money.

Right...So if the tag is worth more than the guaranteed money he could potentially get in a long term contract. He would be a fool not to sign it the minute they offered it to him.

BossChief
Albert's gone.

Hopefully Daniel and Dunta follow him out the door, the cap goes up about 4 million and they restructure Berry and Houston.

SAUTO

WTF are you talking about?

you are sure fisher is going to be great. again i'll ask you what makes you believe that?

Brock
12-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Probably right but then again that was last year. I don't think he's in as strong of position as he was last year so he might end up signing a different tune. He's just not going to get the money he wants in a long term contract at his age and with the way he's played this year.

LOL. Somebody is going to sign him.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Right...So if the tag is worth more than the guaranteed money he could potentially get in a long term contract. He would be a fool not to sign it the minute they offered it to him.

Exactly. Tagging him sets the market for negotiations with other teams. We'd be stupid to tag him. Let the market set itself, it will be significantly lower.

The Franchise
12-10-2013, 12:37 PM
I wonder if Avery is out next year if we bring another WR in.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 12:39 PM
I wonder if Avery is out next year if we bring another WR in.

We better bring in more than 1, even if he is here next year. We need a lot of help.

BossChief
12-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Actually, we can probably wait another year to lock Houston up unless he is willing to sign for less money than he would get next offseason when the cap is higher.

That should give us plenty to lock up a couple solid players like Schwartz, McCluster and Tyson Jackson while giving us a little room to add a receiver or safety in free agency.

tecumseh
12-10-2013, 12:45 PM
We better bring in more than 1, even if he is here next year. We need a lot of help.

Hear ye, yes. This.

penbrook
12-10-2013, 12:52 PM
So who thinks we should re sign T Jax?

mschiefs1984
12-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Keep him if he's willing to come down on his asking price. He has never played like a top 5 LT he shouldn't get paid like one. Albert is good. Just not as good as he thinks.Losing him while would be a loss is nothing the Chiefs couldn't recover from

Brock
12-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Fuck all that. They drafted a tackle number one. If they could have gotten a pick for him, he would already be gone. They have no intention of even talking to albert after the season is over. It's done.

Direckshun
12-10-2013, 01:02 PM
LT: Stephenson
LG: Allen
C: Hudson
RG: Schwartz
RT: Fisher

In my dream world, if Albert were to walk, Kush would be ready to go and we could slide Hudson to LG.

But, alas.

The Franchise
12-10-2013, 01:03 PM

In my dream world, if Albert were to walk, Kush would be ready to go and we could slide Hudson to LG.

But, alas.

This.

Mr. Laz
12-10-2013, 01:16 PM
it's pretty much always about the money

Does Albert want top LT money? If so then he probably walks.

Albert is a solid guy and you usually want to keep solid players, just not at elite money.

I think he's been hurt every season he's played and he's developed a habit of penalties.

saphojunkie
12-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Move him to guard.

The Franchise
12-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Move him to guard.

Fucking Christ....it's not happening.

Mr. Laz
12-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Move him to guard.
that doesn't do anything because Albert is still going to want to be paid

I don't know what money he is asking for but moving him to left guard will just piss him off.

saphojunkie
12-10-2013, 01:31 PM

But, alas.

This.

I thought you both supported Sac's Gabe Jackson fetish?

Ace Gunner
12-10-2013, 01:34 PM
If Albert is gone, I'm sure the team will have Fisher at LT next season & Stephenson at RT. Reason is Fisher has the quick lateral moves Stephenson does not.

Mr. Laz
12-10-2013, 02:02 PM
If Albert is gone, I'm sure the team will have Fisher at LT next season & Stephenson at RT. Reason is Fisher has the quick lateral moves Stephenson does not.
yup

Fisher is showing signs of becoming a fine LT

a full offseason and he should be good to go

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 02:10 PM

At the right price, absolutely.

booger
12-10-2013, 02:17 PM
At the right price, absolutely.

he's really played stout. Still has to be reasonable with how little he plays in the sub packages though, I agree.

penbrook
12-10-2013, 02:20 PM
The only safety we have signed past this year is Eric Berry

BossChief
12-10-2013, 02:21 PM
**** all that. They drafted a tackle number one. If they could have gotten a pick for him, he would already be gone. They have no intention of even talking to albert after the season is over. It's done.

I don't know if that's the case, but I doubt we offer him much.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 02:21 PM

Good. Go get 3 or 4 brand new ones.

Fat Elvis
12-10-2013, 02:25 PM

Nope. 2013 OL free agents

Levitre- $27.5M guarenteed

Albert- $9.28M

Loadholt- $7M signing bonus (+6.5/year)

Long- $16M guarenteed

Cherilus- $16M guarenteed

Beatty- $19M guarenteed

Baker- $10M signing bonus

Bushrod- $17.9M guarenteed

Vasquez- $13M guarenteed

You keep living in your fantasy-land and keep telling yourself that some team won't offer him more guarenteed money than the tender (roughly $11.14M). He'd be a fool to not hold out and see what the market dictates.

Mr. Laz
12-10-2013, 02:33 PM
The only safety we have signed past this year is Eric Berryhe's the only one that really matters.
Commings should still be under contract

Demps should stay at a reasonable price

Don't want Lewis to stay at any price

We need to get a quality starting FS

No FS help is killing our corners

ILChief
12-10-2013, 02:34 PM

Isn't sanders Commings a safety?

penbrook
12-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Isn't sanders Commings a safety?

Nobody knows. He was a corner in college. Has barely played this year.

ThaVirus
12-10-2013, 02:44 PM
He'd be a good fit at FS given his skills in coverage and our glaring need at the position. Plus he has a ton of speed which is something we haven't had at the FS spot in quite some time.

The Franchise
12-10-2013, 03:01 PM
He'd be a good fit at FS given his skills in coverage and our glaring need at the position. Plus he has a ton of speed which is something we haven't had at the FS spot in quite some time.

And he's not afraid to hit. Lewis doesn't like to tackle.

htismaqe
12-10-2013, 03:03 PM
And he's not afraid to hit. Lewis doesn't like to tackle.

Lewis LOVES to hit. He just doesn't like to tackle.

Mr. Laz
12-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Lewis LOVES to hit. He just doesn't like to tackle.
Lewis avoids hitting anything whenever possible

He is always 'the' guy standing next to the pile.

Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and say that Lewis avoid hitting because he's afraid he will get hurt again. He's not a pussy, just fragile. It still doesn't change the results.

weak man-to-man skills,won't tackle,mediocre ball skills,poor range

The best we can hope for is to sit him in centerfield and hope a sloppy pass drops into his hands.

We are playing defense with 10 1/2 players on the field

scho63
12-10-2013, 03:28 PM
We are in the drivers seat with Albert-he can restructure and take a cut in pay or take a walk.

I'm not interested in his bloated salary

GordonGekko
12-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Let Albert walk, the offensive tackle position is just not the same in terms of value like it used to be. Invest the money on pass rushers or skill players on offense.

booger
12-10-2013, 03:45 PM
he's the only one that really matters.
Commings should still be under contract

Demps should stay at a reasonable price

Don't want Lewis to stay at any price

We need to get a quality starting FS

No FS help is killing our corners

Agreed. Demps as a backup SS, extra S in the sub sets, KR, and kick/punt coverage would be welcome depth another year.

I like how they have kinda cross trained at S and CB Commings and to an extent Abdulluh when he was the nickel back the last half of TC. Both seemed to be able to handle it pretty well. I think they could try that possiblitly with Rod Parker too. It hasn't been to much for those guys to handle so they picked guys with the right mindset/didn't give the too much to mentally handle. There is a dark horse on the PS in Malcolm Bronson the FS who missed most of his senior year at Mcneese ST with a knee injury but ran in the 4.4 range. He's smaller at 5-11 192 but he's a guy with speed and range that's spent the year on the PS and is the next guy in line to get promoted if another body is needed in the secondary

Easy 6
12-10-2013, 03:47 PM
He was a trooper for some Godawful teams, but its time to move on... playmakers, please.

Mav
12-10-2013, 06:22 PM
He was a trooper for some Godawful teams, but its time to move on... playmakers, please.

This.

philfree
12-10-2013, 07:04 PM
LOL. Somebody is going to sign him.

Yeah but not for top money like he wanted last year.

RealSNR
12-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Lewis and Asamoah can't get out the door fast enough.

I'm fucking done with those two never-wills

Brock
12-10-2013, 08:04 PM

Think you're in for a surprise.

ILChief
12-10-2013, 08:19 PM

I'm fucking done with those two never-wills

That's pretty much it

kcxiv
12-10-2013, 08:30 PM
We are in the drivers seat with Albert-he can restructure and take a cut in pay or take a walk.

I'm not interested in his bloated salary

not really. Albert is in the drivers seat. someone is gonna pay him big money somewhere. Its just going to be beneficial for both parties. He's gonna get themoney he wants and we are going to get the cap space we need to sign someone decent.

Win/win

kcxiv
12-10-2013, 08:31 PM

He's gonna get paid big bucks somewhere. some team is gonna wanna protect their qb and they will pay him top dollar. I have no doubt in my mind that will happen for him.

Ace Gunner
12-10-2013, 08:33 PM

you really kill me sometimes. the player has 2 sacks & perhaps his best day in the NFL. 2 sacks in one game from a 34 LDE is fantastic.

Tombstone RJ
12-10-2013, 08:35 PM
With Albert out it seems like our line has no drop off. I would let Albert walk and put Stephenson at LT and Fisher at RT and also re sign Schwartz. Our line stays the same plus we free up money to re sign players like Smith and Schwartz.

It's only a matter of time before Fisher is your new LT. Albert ain't gonna be resigned unless he takes a very reasonable contract which it appears, he ain't willing to do.

notorious
12-10-2013, 09:24 PM

I'm ****ing done with those two never-wills

This.

This.

THIS.

lcarus
12-10-2013, 09:32 PM
We should let him walk. And then follow him around with a tuba.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/csNqf_L8WD8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

philfree
12-10-2013, 09:33 PM

It won't be that big of surprise but we'll see.

tonyetony
12-10-2013, 09:47 PM

The only thing that would be surprising is if the Chiefs are the team that overpays him. We franchised him, he signed the tender and had his chance to entice a team to trade a 2nd for him in turn for a long term contract. Didn't happen. He might get top 20 LT money but no way does he get top 10 money. If he was worth top 10 money last year, teams would have jumped at the chance to meet our demands of a second rounder.

Bl00dyBizkitz
12-10-2013, 10:36 PM
I'd like to know the reasoning behind moving Fisher back to LT. I know that's his draft position and the reason we picked him up, but he's learning and doing pretty darn well as of late at RT. Why not keep him there and Stephenson at LT?

kcxiv
12-10-2013, 10:45 PM
I'd like to know the reasoning behind moving Fisher back to LT. I know that's his draft position and the reason we picked him up, but he's learning and doing pretty darn well as of late at RT. Why not keep him there and Stephenson at LT?

they say that only because he was the first pick of the shittiest fucking draft in a long time.

They have no other reason other then he was the 1st pick in the draft. I saykeep him where he shines. Dont try to force him into it. Keep him at RT he's played well the last few games.

chiefzilla1501
12-10-2013, 10:51 PM

Left Tackles tend to be more athletic, have good feet, and are asked to counter quicker speed rushers. Right Tackles tend to line up strong side and take on bigger defensive ends. So Right Tackles need to be stronger while LefT Tackles need to be quicker.

That's less the case these days the way defenses move guys around. But still... with Fisher, you have a guy with good feet and athleticism, but who isn't the strongest guy in the world. He's much better suited for Left Tackle. Though... Stephenson isn't particularly strong either.

Bl00dyBizkitz
12-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Left Tackles tend to be more athletic, have good feet, and are asked to counter quicker speed rushers. Right Tackles tend to line up strong side and take on bigger defensive ends. So Right Tackles need to be stronger while LefT Tackles need to be quicker.

That's less the case these days the way defenses move guys around. But still... with Fisher, you have a guy with good feet and athleticism, but who isn't the strongest guy in the world. He's much better suited for Left Tackle. Though... Stephenson isn't particularly strong either.

He isn't that strong because it's his rookie season. An offseason of weight training probably fixes that.

chiefzilla1501
12-10-2013, 11:02 PM
He isn't that strong because it's his rookie season. An offseason of weight training probably fixes that.

It probably improves it and that's going to make him a much better Right Tackle. I just think his best quality is his foot speed and athleticism, even if he bulks up, and that makes him a better fit for Left Tackle. And by the way, I don't think it's a big waste if he plays Right Tackle. Right Tackle has become a much more important position than in the past.

Fisher can easily beat Stephenson for Left Tackle as soon as next year.

Mr. Laz
12-10-2013, 11:11 PM
It probably improves it and that's going to make him a much better Right Tackle. I just think his best quality is his foot speed and athleticism, even if he bulks up, and that makes him a better fit for Left Tackle. And by the way, I don't think it's a big waste if he plays Right Tackle. Right Tackle has become a much more important position than in the past.

Fisher can easily beat Stephenson for Left Tackle as soon as next year.

The eye test says that Fisher is a LT and Stephenson is a RT

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-04-2014, 08:57 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>It&#39;s a honor to fight with a great bunch of guys! Although I don&#39;t know what the offseason brings I hope this wasn&#39;t my last game as a CHIEF</p>&mdash; Branden Albert (@B_Albert76) <a href="https://twitter.com/B_Albert76/statuses/419663053035016194">January 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ChiefRocka
01-04-2014, 09:17 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>It's a honor to fight with a great bunch of guys! Although I don't know what the offseason brings I hope this wasn't my last game as a CHIEF</p>&mdash; Branden Albert (@B_Albert76) <a href="https://twitter.com/B_Albert76/statuses/419663053035016194">January 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Class act.

jspchief
01-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Anyone else see him rallying the O on the sideline?

jd1020
01-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Don't see how the Chiefs can keep him.

Just glad we have Eric Fisher to replace him.

Good looking ahead, Dorsey.

ILChief
01-04-2014, 09:34 PM
I think he is gone for financial reasons

dannybcaitlyn
01-04-2014, 09:40 PM
I liked his leadership. Our line will start out struggling again with change.

Bewbies
01-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Who do you pay, who do you let walk, Albert or Stephenson?

Hoover
01-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Stephenson is under contract, so its not one or the other.

ceebz
01-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Walk. Stephenson at LT, Fisher at RT.

penbrook
01-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Walk. Stephenson at LT, Fisher at RT.

This :clap:

The Bad Guy
01-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Albert played a fantastic game today. He's the only leader on the offensive line too. I'm a fan, and it's going to pain me to have him walk.

Can we send Fisher back to the draft?

Dunerdr
01-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Albert played a fantastic game today. He's the only leader on the offensive line too. I'm a fan, and it's going to pain me to have him walk.

Can we send Fisher back to the draft?

This. But if he played every game like he played today he'd already be signed. Here or elsewhere. I think he walks. Unless his number is less than we expect. Do you think he'd play guard? Jk.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2014, 11:35 PM
This. But if he played every game like he played today he'd already be signed. Here or elsewhere. I think he walks. Unless his number is less than we expect. Do you think he'd play guard? Jk.

I just don't see how they can fit him, extend who they want, and make the necessary upgrades.

They should be really making a top effort to extend Berry's deal to bring his cap number way down.

Bewbies
01-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Stephenson is under contract, so its not one or the other.

Stephenson has one year left next year right?