PDA

View Full Version : Life KC Rallying Behind 21 Year Police Veteran and His Family of 11

T-post Tom
12-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Fund set up for police officer, his family after fire destroys their Kansas City home

An early morning fire swept through a south Kansas City house Thursday that was home to a family of 11.

The parents and nine children, who ranged in age from 2 to 16, escaped by crawling through a window in the master bedroom onto the roof of a sunroom.

The fire was discovered about 2:30 a.m. in the house near East 105th Terrace and College Avenue.

The home belonged to Matt Hannah, a 21-year veteran of the Kansas City Police Department, and his wife. Hannah is an instructor at the Kansas City Police Academy.

Helen Jeter, who lives across the street, said when she noticed the fire, she thought the house next door to hers was ablaze because the flames were so bright.

It wasn’t until she looked out the window that she saw the fire was across the street. All three levels of the house were engulfed in flames, she said.

“It was just horrific. Just horrific,” she said. “They’re a nice family.”

She was relieved when a neighbor called and told them that the family made it out safely.

The fire destroyed the split-level brick house and everything inside.

A sign posted by the front door warned that the house was a dangerous building and not to enter.

The American Red Cross responded and was providing lodging, clothes, shoes and food, said Duane Hallock, regional communications director for the Kansas City Region of the American Red Cross.

“With so many of them being children, I can only empathize with the parents of the family who now don’t have home, clothes or anything like that,” Hallock said. “It’s a tough situation, especially with weather being so cold and it being this time of year.”

A relief fund to help the Hannah family meet immediate needs has been established. People can send donations to:

Matthew Hannah Donations

c/o The Kansas City Police Credit Union

P.O. Box 270020

Kansas City, MO 64127

Or by calling the credit union at 816-504-2800.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/12/4687761/family-of-11-flees-to-safety-as.html#storylink=cpy

T-post Tom
12-12-2013, 05:02 PM
And from 810:

Help Hannah Family

Early this morning KCPD officer Matt Hannah and his family suffered a total loss of their home and personal property to fire. Officer Hannah and his family are all doing well, but lost all of their personal belongings to the fire. The Red Cross placed the Hannah family in an area hotel. Included is a list of items the family is in immediate need of. Officer Hannah has nine children ages ranging from 2 years to 16 years old. Below is a list of clothing sizes for the children:

Hannah family needs:

For his boys:

Shoes: mens size 11; mens size 1; and childrens size 12
Pants: 32x30; 7T- 5 pair for 2 boys Dan and Truman; 4T; and 12 month old
Shirts: Mens L; Children’s 8T; Children’s 5T; 18 month old

For his girls:

* Shoes: womens size 9; womens size 5; childs size 4; toddler size 12
* Skirts: women’s size 8 knee length skirt; women’s size 4 knee length skirt; child large; and 3T
* Shirts: women’s medium; children’s large; and 3T

Misc

* New Pillows for each person (11 total)

* Diapers: boxes of size 5 and 4 diapers plus baby wipes

* Gift cards to Wal-Mart, Target, etc. for specific personal needs of the family i.e. hygiene products, specific clothes and Christmas gifts.

*The KC Police Credit Union has established a relief account for Matt Hannah and his family. Contributions can be made directly to the account. The Credit Unions number is 816-504-2800.

*Any donations may also be dropped off at any KCMO Police Station where they will be picked up and delivered to the Hannah family.

* Contact the Media Unit 816-234-5170 or Sgt. Rod Gentry at for further questions.

The Hannah family wants to thank everyone for their overwhelming support.

http://www.810whb.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=20

KCUnited
12-12-2013, 05:15 PM
I saw this on the news this morning and commented to the dog how it seems there's at least 2 of these every night in KC. The morning news in KC is nothing but murders, molestations, and house fires.

I couldn't imagine losing everything, I hope this family gets back on their feet.

WhawhaWhat
12-12-2013, 05:18 PM
I saw this on the news this morning and commented to the dog how it seems there's at least 2 of these every night in KC. The morning news in KC is nothing but murders, molestations, and house fires.

I couldn't imagine losing everything, I hope this family gets back on their feet.

If it bleeds, it leads.