PDA

View Full Version : Sporting KC ** 2014 Sporting Kansas City Thread **

|Zach|
12-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Previous Result
1-1 draw against the Chicago Fire

Goals
Dwyer (33')

Disappointing game. Outside backs had a rough day on defense and they could not seem to finish in the important moments.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a2P6P3M57WU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Next Three Games
http://i.imgur.com/MVTJhPs.png

Eastern Conference Standings (Full MLS Standings (http://www.mlssoccer.com/standings))
http://i.imgur.com/2inDkXw.png

JoeyChuckles
12-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Love it.................

Defend that championship.

Deberg_1990
12-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Hells yea!

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Get that Supporters Shield, boys.

|Zach|
12-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Get that Supporter shield, boys.

That would be pretty great.

Reaper16
12-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Get that Supporters Shield, boys.

That would be pretty great.

We're all part of Vermes' army; we're all out to win the Shield.

|Zach|
12-12-2013, 08:47 PM
We're all part of Vermes' army; we're all out to win the Shield.

One fucking point off the double last year. Fuuuuuuhhhh

Demonpenz
12-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Kyle Miller gone ....noooo

CoMoChief
12-12-2013, 09:04 PM
CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Superbowltrashcan
12-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Zach is it correct that Nick Rimando's contract is up on 12/31/2013 and if so would we have the cash to woo him to SKC? Gotta dream a little!!

Stanley Nickels
12-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Gspurning was waived.. I really like his skill set and he's in the prime of his career, but he made more than Neilsen last year and has missed a lot of games due to injury. Will be interesting to see how the GK replacement storyline plays out.

TribalElder
12-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Champions

Page 1

Champions

morphius
12-12-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm hoping for some good changes in the offseason, would like to have someone a bit better than fall down too easy Dwyer and Sapong leading the attack.

AussieChiefsFan
12-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Great 2013 season.

It'd be epic to win another championship to establish a dynasty of sorts.

zigbazah
12-12-2013, 11:08 PM
So it looks like Dom Dwyer's probably out, Eddie Johnson possibly in? Not sure how well EJ and Vermes would work together. I like what EJ bring in terms of ability, but he'd have to leave his ego at the door.

As far as GK goes, Rimando, Gspurning or Gruenebaum would all be fine. Really, we just need someone who can do the job when called upon.

SPATCH
12-12-2013, 11:14 PM
So it looks like Dom Dwyer's probably out, Eddie Johnson possibly in? Not sure how well EJ and Vermes would work together. I like what EJ bring in terms of ability, but he'd have to leave his ego at the door.

I feel like EJ is mostly past all of the attitude issues everyone used to go on about...

I, for one, would love to see EJ back in KC.

verbaljitsu
12-13-2013, 12:12 AM
I do not understand all the EJ love. Dude has about 3 good games a year. He is shockingly similar production wise to Bunbury and Sapong and he tends to be lazy on defense. He can play in a 433, but is obviously better with a strike partner. I hope he scores a million for USA, but he never seems like a guy who is going to grind it out in July.

Re: goalies,
The biggest thing we lose with Jimmy is his field generaling and pacing. I am crossing my fingers that some of that rubbed off on Kronberg. In some ways Kronberg is a better goalie, because he commanda his box better. Jimmy let a lot of balls hang around on corners and crosses for the defense, and Kronberg is more aggressive on those. But Jimmy was damn good 1v1 and at organizing tge team.

|Zach|
12-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Zach is it correct that Nick Rimando's contract is up on 12/31/2013 and if so would we have the cash to woo him to SKC? Gotta dream a little!!

I think it is a possibility but he seems to really like Salt Lake.

|Zach|
12-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Gspurning was waived.. I really like his skill set and he's in the prime of his career, but he made more than Neilsen last year and has missed a lot of games due to injury. Will be interesting to see how the GK replacement storyline plays out.

They will bring someone in but Kronberg will absolutely have a legit shot at being starter next year.

|Zach|
12-13-2013, 10:47 AM

As far as GK goes, Rimando, Gspurning or Gruenebaum would all be fine. Really, we just need someone who can do the job when called upon.

I would be surprised if Dom moved on. Most of the news surrounding him is agent talk. EJ doesn't fit the personality type that does well in a Vermes system. For better or for worse.

Halfcan
12-13-2013, 11:20 AM
My son plays soccer. We have went to several Comets games and really liked it. Guess I will have to take him out to see Sporting KC-I am sure he would love it.

|Zach|
12-13-2013, 11:22 AM
My son plays soccer. We have went to several Comets games and really liked it. Guess I will have to take him out to see Sporting KC-I am sure he would love it.

Tooootally different thing between those two events. Like...a small town JV football game compared to an NFL game but Comets games are awesome for the kids! Get him out next year both of you will like it.

Halfcan
12-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Tooootally different thing between those two events. Like...a small town JV football game compared to an NFL game but Comets games are awesome for the kids! Get him out next year both of you will like it.

Comets games are a blast. Afterward you get to go on the field and the kids get to meet the players. They were all very nice and signed a shirt for him.

Yep looking forward to going and seeing the Champs!

Reaper16
12-13-2013, 01:07 PM
http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2013/12/sporting-kc-acquires-midfielder-sal-zizzo-through-trade-portland-timbers-fc

Sporting KC acquires midfielder Sal Zizzo through trade with Portland Timbers FC
Club sends allocation money to Timbers in exchange for 26-year-old
DECEMBER 13, 2013
Kurt Austin
SportingKC.com

Sporting Kansas City has acquired midfielder Sal Zizzo from the Portland Timbers FC in exchange for allocation money, the club announced onFriday. Zizzo has been added to Sporting Kansas City's roster and will occupy a senior roster spot.

"He's a player I spent some time with around the United States Under-20's," Sporting KC Manager Peter Vermes said. "He's a very good wide player, someone who is going to help give us some more firepower out on the wing channels. He is someone we have been looking at for the last couple years."

In four MLS seasons, the 26-year-old Zizzo has made 70 appearances with two goals and eight assists while playing for Chivas USA (2010) and Portland (2011-2013). He entered MLS through a weighted lottery in July 2010 after spending his first three seasons as a professional with Hannover 96 in Germany's Bundesliga.

Zizzo has made one appearance for the U.S. Men's National Team, debuting in August 2007 against Sweden, and has represented the United States extensively at the Under-18, Under-20 and Under-23 levels. He started all five of the U.S. matches at the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Canada and helped the U.S. Under-23's qualify for the 2008 Summer Olympics.

A San Diego, Calif. native, Zizzo starred at UCLA where he was an NSCAA/adidas All-American and led the Bruins to a national championship appearance in 2006 as the NCAA tournament's top goal scorer. Sporting Kansas City defender Chance Myers and Zizzo were teammates on the 2006 UCLA squad.

Zizzo was married to his wife Destiny Moniz last month and is currently on his honeymoon.

Transaction: Sporting Kansas City (MLS) acquires midfielder Sal Zizzo from the Portland Timbers FC (MLS) in exchange for allocation money.

Sal Zizzo (ZEE-zoh)
Position: Midfielder
Number: TBD
Born: 4/3/87
Height: 5-10
Weight: 165
Hometown: San Diego, Calif.
Birthplace: San Diego, Calif.
Citizenship: United States, Italy
Last Club: Portland Timbers FC (MLS)
College: UCLA
Twitter: @SalZizzo

|Zach|
12-13-2013, 01:20 PM
What is it with this team and weddings. Besler is about to get married. Sal is on his honeymoon. Benny was just about to get married when we acquired him last year.

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Lots of loving in KC.

zigbazah
12-13-2013, 03:57 PM
What is it with this team and weddings. Besler is about to get married. Sal is on his honeymoon. Benny was just about to get married when we acquired him last year.
Good looking, successful guys tend to get married. haha.

chiefsfan987
12-14-2013, 04:59 PM
thought this was pretty cool. MLS CUP Tours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lVTnhQGvmnc

|Zach|
12-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Really nice 12 page insert in the Kansas City Star dedicated to SKC's season today. Lots of good stuff check it out.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1486635_10152070446512042_1740212579_n.jpg

|Zach|
12-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Sporting KC trades for goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum
Overland Park, Kan. native is an eight-year MLS veteran

http://www.sportingkc.com/sites/kansascity/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2013/12/USATSI_7259452_167117624_lowres.jpg

Sporting Kansas City has acquired goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum from the Columbus Crew in exchange for Sporting KC’s second round pick in the 2016 MLS SuperDraft, the club announced on Monday. Gruenebaum has been added to Sporting Kansas City’s roster and will occupy a senior roster spot.

“Andy is a very capable goalkeeper, someone who has been successful in Major League Soccer and has had a lot of games in the league,” Sporting KC Manager Peter Vermes said. “He is a great addition to our team and a complement to our goalkeepers. We needed someone with a lot of experience because we're in multiple major competitions in 2014.”

“I could not be more excited to come back home and play in front of family and friends,” Gruenebaum said. “The ownership, coaching staff, players and fans associated with Sporting KC are first class, and I look forward to working with two amazing goalkeepers to help win another championship. I would like to thank Peter and the rest of the organization for giving me this opportunity. My wife and I are ecstatic to be able to call Kansas City home once again.”

Gruenebaum, 30, made 82 appearances in MLS competition (including playoffs) with 277 saves, 18 shutouts and a 1.27 goals against average in eight seasons with the Crew. He led MLS with 124 saves in 2012 and was a finalist for MLS Goalkeeper of the Year after being named the Crew’s MVP and Defender of the Year. This season, he conceded the second fewest goals (28) among goalkeepers with a minimum of 15 games played.

In 2009, Gruenebaum entered the Columbus lineup and immediately led the team on an eight-game unbeaten run en route to the team’s Supporters’ Shield title. The following season, he helped the Crew reach the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup final and started all six games in the 2010-11 CONCACAF Champions League group stage as Columbus went unbeaten. He also started both of the team’s matches in the 2010 MLS Cup Playoffs.

An Overland Park, Kan. native, Gruenebaum was an All-American at Blue Valley North High School and was the Player of the Year in Kansas after leading the Mustangs to the state championship. He attended the University of Kentucky, where he recorded 21 shutouts in 66 collegiate games. Gruenebaum earned All-Conference and All-Region honors and picked up the nickname “The Hebrew Hammer.”

Prior to his senior season, Gruenebaum starred for the Des Moines Menace in the Premier Development League and was named MVP of the 2005 PDL championship.

Gruenebaum becomes the seventh Kansas City native on Sporting KC’s roster, along with Matt Besler, Christian Duke, Kevin Ellis, Jon Kempin, Erik Palmer-Brown and Seth Sinovic. He was a finalist for Player of the Year at the Kevin Gray Awards in 2013.

Transaction: Sporting Kansas City (MLS) acquires goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum from the Columbus Crew (MLS) in exchange for Sporting Kansas City’s second round pick in the 2016 MLS SuperDraft.

Andy Gruenebaum (GREW-nah-BAHM)
Position: Goalkeeper
Born: 12/30/82
Height: 6-1
Weight: 175
Hometown: Overland Park, Kan.
Birthplace: Kansas City, Mo.
Citizenship: United States
Last Club: Columbus Crew (MLS)
College: Kentucky
Twitter: @gbaum30

verbaljitsu
12-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Well that is a good trade.

SPATCH
12-16-2013, 11:32 PM
GREW-nah-BAHM trade looks good.

Possible trade rape.

SPATCH
12-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Are Zusi and Besler going out on loan to tune up for WC2014?

|Zach|
12-17-2013, 03:20 AM
Are Zusi and Besler going out on loan to tune up for WC2014?

Not as of right now. JK likes them where they are.

|Zach|
12-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Sporting KC adds second USL PRO affiliate in 2014
OKC Energy FC joins Orlando City SC as club affiliates in USL PRO; Jimmy Nielsen named HC

http://www.sportingkc.com/sites/kansascity/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2013/12/dynamic%20lead%20revised.png

Sporting Kansas City announced on Friday that the club will partner with two USL PRO teams for the 2014 season, adding a one-year agreement with OKC Energy FC to join Orlando City SC as an official USL PRO affiliate of Sporting KC. A minimum of two Sporting Kansas City players will be loaned to each USL PRO team throughout the season as part of the agreements.

Additionally, former Sporting Kansas City captain Jimmy Nielsen will serve as the head coach of OKC Energy FC in their expansion season in 2014. Nielsen retired last week after a 19-year playing career that culminated with an MLS Cup championship at Sporting Park.

"My family and I are excited to take on this new challenge and I look forward to the start of my coaching career in Oklahoma City," Nielsen said. "To remain a part of the Sporting Kansas City family and to take some of what I have learned from all of my coaches over the years, including Peter Vermes and staff, is an opportunity I embrace."

"OKC Energy FC provides us with a great, regional partner and having Jimmy Nielsen as the head coach will give us strong insight into player development," Sporting KC Manager Peter Vermes said. "We will continue to have our wonderful relationship with Orlando City SC and adding OKC Energy FC to next year's plan perfectly aligns us with our goal of keeping players active and ready to integrate back with our first team to contribute in all of the competitions we will play in 2014."

OKC Energy FC is owned by Prodigal LLC, led by CEO Bob Funk, Jr., and was announced as a USL PRO expansion team in July. Sporting Kansas City has played several exhibition matches in the Oklahoma City area in the team's 18-year history, including the first MLS match in the city in 2003.

"We are pleased to affiliate with Sporting KC during our first season of play," said Prodigal CEO Bob Funk Jr. "Our partnership with them in this endeavor is groundbreaking. This relationship starts with Jimmy Nielsen as our head coach and a number of quality players that Sporting KC will provide, but also extends beyond the field of play and into all of our soccer business interests for the long term."

USL PRO will feature 14 teams for the 2014 season with the addition of OKC Energy FC and Sacramento. In 2013, USL PRO and Major League Soccer began a partnership toenhance the development of professional players in North America, strengthen the competition in both leagues and establish a solid foundation for futurecollaboration.

Sporting Kansas City and Orlando City SC became affiliates in January and both clubs were crowned champions of their respective leagues in the first of a two-year partnership. Sporting Kansas City loaned six players to the Lions throughout the 2013 season, including forward Dom Dwyer who set the league's scoring record with 15 goals in 13 games and was named the USL PRO championship MVP with four goals in the final.

"As we head into our final USL PRO season in 2014, Orlando City is pleased to continue our affiliation with Sporting KC," Orlando City President Phil Rawlins said. "I firmly believe this partnership was an important part of both clubs' on-field success in winning its respective league championships last season. Orlando City is proud to be part of this terrific player development initiative jointly established by Major League Soccer and USL PRO."

Orlando City SC was awarded an MLS expansion team last month and will join Major League Soccer as the 21st club for the 2015 season.

|Zach|
12-20-2013, 12:55 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bb8MSDYIMAALRzL.jpg

|Zach|
12-21-2013, 03:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jULQfbg.jpg

|Zach|
01-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Report: Toronto FC "on the verge of signing" USMNT midfielder Michael Bradley

Toronto FC are in the midst of a busy offseason, with one blockbuster deal done and another pending.

A third – one that will move the needle in a big way throughout MLS – is now reported to be complete.

ESPN analyst Taylor Twellman reported on his Twitter account on Wednesday that TFC are "on the verge" of signing US national team and AS Roma midfielder Michael Bradley. Bradley, who began his career in MLS back in 2004, has played overseas since 2006 including star turns for Heerenveen, Borussia Mönchengladbach and Chievo Verona before moving to the Eternal City 18 months ago:

Bradley, 26, has been capped 82 times for the USMNT over the past eight years, and is generally regarded as one of the most crucial players in Jurgen Klinsmann's squad. He starred under Bob Bradley, the previous USMNT head coach and Michael's father, in both the 2010 World Cup as well as the 2009 Confederations Cup and 2011 Gold Cup.

The central midfielder began his career in MLS with the MetroStars in 2004, missing his first season due to injury before winning the starting job in 2005. His tactical understanding on both sides of the ball impressed, and an offer from Heerenveen that winter saw Bradley make the move to the Netherlands.

While his European career has been a long and steady rise ever since, and he is a gameday regular for Roma, Bradley hasn't been able to nail down an everyday starting XI job for the ambitious club.

He's regularly split time in a central midfield that includes Italian legend Daniele De Rossi and Dutch international Kevin Strootman, and just this week picked up a new addition in Belgian hard man Radja Nainggolan.

Toronto FC did not immediately respond to a request for comment from MLSsoccer.com.

According to ESPNFC.com, MLS is poised to sign Bradley to a contract in the five to six-year range at an annual salary in the neighborhood of $6.5 million, making him one of the highest paid players in the league. The Toronto Star reported Wednesday that the combined value of transfer fees and salaries for Bradley and Tottenham Hotspur striker Jermain Defoe would reach $100 million.

There was conflicting data in terms of the transfer fee, with one overseas source indicating that Roma expects to receive $7 million. But multiple MLS sources stated that the league expects to pay in excess of $10 million.

The Reds are working on what could be the splashiest offseason in club history. Last month, they signed young Brazilian striker Gilberto to a Designated Player, then selected former captain Dwayne De Rosario in the Re-Entry Draft.

De Rosario will be re-introduced to the club in a press conference on Thursday.

|Zach|
01-13-2014, 08:04 AM
So it looks like Kansas City tried to nab Micheal Bradley to the tune of $40 million dollars. Daaaammmnnnnn

"Kansas City isn’t exactly a major media market, but that didn’t stop a bullish Sporting KC ownership group from boosting their bid up to a whopping $40 million offer including salary and transfer fee contributions. It was enough to be sitting at the final table before Bradley chose TFC, which had a bigger bid and also the allure of giving Bradley a team he could help build into a winner."

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/united-states/2014/01/12/4540081/the-mls-wrap-toronto-fcs-big-splash-is-a-message-to-league

http://www.worldsoccersource.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/MichaelBradley-DSGP.jpg

WhawhaWhat
01-13-2014, 08:17 AM
So it looks like Kansas City tried to nab Micheal Bradley to the tune of $40 million dollars. Daaaammmnnnnn

"Kansas City isn’t exactly a major media market, but that didn’t stop a bullish Sporting KC ownership group from boosting their bid up to a whopping $40 million offer including salary and transfer fee contributions. It was enough to be sitting at the final table before Bradley chose TFC, which had a bigger bid and also the allure of giving Bradley a team he could help build into a winner."

If cities like Seattle, Toronto, NY and Miami get into the sport and start spending major league money, can SKC keep up or will they turn into another version of the Royals?

|Zach|
01-13-2014, 08:23 AM
If cities like Seattle, Toronto, NY and Miami get into the sport and start spending major league money, can SKC keep up or will they turn into another version of the Royals?

Somewhere in between..but not in a bad way IMO.

As it is...the guys who splash the most cash are not really the ones who are Champions. You need a good team to win in MLS plain and simple. LA has been a team who has gone for big stars and had success but they have had a good team as well.

The two MLS Cup teams didn't have any HUGE stars...there can be a case made for Graham Zusi but he still isn't "that guy" especially compared to Baradley or Defoe or Keane and the like.

However I don't think they will get left behind. People who want to play in the United States want to play in Kansas City...and while we don't have spending power of LA, NY, or TFC we build great teams and we have cash to splash when needed...this ownership group has shown that especially with the them trying to grab MB even though it did not work out.

Reaper16
01-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Had Bradley chosen SKC it would have nicely improved MLS' chances of a CONCACAF Champions League winner.

|Zach|
01-13-2014, 08:29 AM
Had Bradley chosen SKC it would have nicely improved MLS' chances of a CONCACAF Champions League winner.

That was my first thought as well it would easily have been the most well equipped team to face Mexican opposition to date.

What a fucking incredible team SKC would have with MB in mid. I mean...come right the fuck at us...he is a perfect fit.

Jerm
01-13-2014, 09:06 AM
Defoe wouldn't have been bad either...still think we need a killer striker.

|Zach|
01-13-2014, 09:07 AM

Not sure they *need* one but it would be awesome. Of course finding a "killer" striker anywhere in the world no matter what league is a treat. Even harder in MLS.

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-13-2014, 09:11 AM
The MLS is just so brutally physical. It needs to be cleaned up and then more will be willing to come play here.

|Zach|
01-13-2014, 09:17 AM
The MLS is just so brutally physical. It needs to be cleaned up and then more will be willing to come play here.

I don't think that is really the reason. Teams are spending more money and the word is getting out that there is quality in MLS. It isn't a shit league anymore. It still all about money though. Besides we are seeing a lot more about people coming to the league than ever.

Reaper16
01-13-2014, 10:43 AM

Defoe is not the sure-footed striker that SKC needs. His pace is great, but (speaking as a Tottenham fan here) he misses more chances than Kai Kamara.

Demonpenz
01-13-2014, 10:46 AM
The united states should be a draw because we have hot water and no rolling blackouts. Also the women are mostly disease free compared to Ireland.

morphius
01-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Defoe is not the sure-footed striker that SKC needs. His pace is great, but (speaking as a Tottenham fan here) he misses more chances than Kai Kamara.
But does he miss more than Sapong?

|Zach|
01-13-2014, 11:13 AM
A *really* good striker prob is not going to be in MLS...closest thing I think is Keane.

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-16-2014, 01:03 PM
MLS super draft is occurring today. SKC doesn't have a first round selection, it was part of the Benny Feilhaber trade if I'm not mistaken.

We do have a 2nd round pick (The last).

|Zach|
01-16-2014, 02:39 PM
So SKC's first pick of this years draft is number 38 (in a 19 team league lol) they grabbed forward Adnan Gabeljic who is pretty close from STL and played at SLU. Guy is a project I imagine he will find his way to our affiliates at Oklahoma City or Orlando.

|Zach|
01-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Uri Rossell.

Horse whisperer.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1604822_10101034507870074_139410636_n.jpg

|Zach|
01-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Vermes candid on 2014 campaign during special pre-season edition of Sporting KC Show

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2014/01/vermes-candid-2014-campaign-during-special-pre-season-edition-sporting-kc-show

Peter Vermes will board a flight bound for Tucson, Ariz. before sunrise on Thursday as Sporting Kansas City officially opens their 2014 pre-season just six weeks after the team celebrated its MLS Cup championship in front of a capacity crowd at Union Station.

And exactly six weeks from Thursday, Vermes and his Sporting Kansas City squad will be back at Kansas City International Airport en route to Seattle for the opening game of the 2014 MLS season. So it seemed fitting -- at the mid-point of a 13-week span between the team's climatic 2013 finale and the highly-anticipated 2014 opener -- that Vermes joined The Sporting KC Show on Wednesday for a wide-ranging discussion with Sports Radio 810 WHB hosts Dave Borchardt and Andy Edwards.

On winning MLS Cup...
To me, it was more a culmination of a lot of people within the organization having a vision and seeing it through. Accomplishing that and more importantly rewarding our ownership group especially; not only for the financial commitment, because I think that's the one that is most obvious to everyone, but more importantly how committed they are to the organization and how involved they are...They care about the ultimate success of our organization not just in the short term, but in the long term. And they realize that the foundation has to be built to achieve that and be competitive year after year after year. It was great for them and obviously for our players, as well. It was something that we've been talking about and building a culture over the years. For them to get rewarded because of that commitment was also a really special moment.

On the challenges ahead...
We had a good year last year. We accomplished some important goals that we wanted to: winning MLS Cup, qualifying for the knockout stage of CONCACAF Champions League. With that being said -- it's a great accomplishment and we've done it -- but that year's over. We're into a new season. It's going to be very difficult, that next round of CONCACAF Champions League based on the fact that we're going to be playing against Cruz Azul who's in the mid-point of their season. They'll be in form, we'll be just starting our season and trying to make sure that we're peaking at the right time. But to be able to do that, it's not easy when you're starting a season. You're just getting game fit, you're trying to reach your form and you're trying to do that over the course of a 34-game season. For us, we're going to have to accelerate our pre-season more than we normally would. We're going to have to get more involved in the style of play and the things that we want to do very early on in the beginning stages of our pre-season. So that when we hit the first game of the season, which is against Seattle away from home, we've got to be playing. I'm not going to say we'll be firing on all cylinders but our fitness level and our style of play has to be something that has to be at a much more accelerated place than it has been in the past from the start of the season.

On Chance Myers being out of contract...
It's a simple one. We want him to come back. We've made him an offer. It's now between him and his agent. We're just waiting for their response. It's always a tough thing when you come to these situations where you've found some success over the last so many years. Players, based on their performances, want to continue to make more money and I understand that. But when you're in a salary cap, there's only so much to go around. We're at a place where I think we've made a fair offer, I really do. Now it's just a matter of if they want to accept it and he wants to stay here. We'll see where that goes. The one thing that has always been the case and will continue to be the case with this club is you've seen players come and go. There's been a lot of players that have moved on, some very good ones obviously. To name a few, Roger Espinoza, Kei Kamara, Julio Cesar and now Jimmy Nielsen. And as players move out, there are other players that we've been working with and we've been trying to get ready for their opportunity. If it doesn't work, then we'll have to move on to the next guy and we'll have to make that guy work. It's unfortunate, but as I said, we'd like to have him back. Hopefully we can work out the deal. I think we'll find over the next couple of weeks if that's going to become a reality or if we're both going to move in separate ways.

On having five players with the U.S. MNT...
It's flattering and I think it should be flattering for the club. It's the culmination of a lot of hard work on a lot of different levels for our players to get there. I think the biggest thing is that when I took over, I made it very clear to the guys that one thing to find success is always going to be one center and the center is always going to be the team. The team is always going to come first. And I believe that all awards and accolades, increases in salary and everything else all comes from the team. If the team's successful, then opportunities start to present themselves. Interestingly enough, in 2000 when the team that I played on here in Kansas City won the MLS Cup as well, that following January we had five players that were also invited into the January Camp. It's interesting how when your team finds success, many of your players start to find it as well. It's a testament to the work ethic and the progression a lot of these players have made, but at the same time, it has a lot to do with the success of the team.

On the goalkeeping depth chart...
Eric has really paid his dues. He's been a solid citizen for the club for 8-9 years now. He has definitely perfected, I think, his craft. I think he's a goalkeeper that is ready and waiting to take on the opportunity to be the No. 1. He's worked extremely hard. He has been a guy that has been very open-minded and that has learned by the people that have been in front of him. I think all of those things bode well for a guy that's going to find success in that position. I have a lot of confidence in him. I think that he is incredible from a distribution perspective, a very good shot stopper, has great range across the goal, obviously with his height and athleticism, I think he does really well at coming out on crosses. I think he deserves this opportunity based on how hard he has worked and how patient he has been and how he has progressed as a goalkeeper. As much as there's always competition in all of the positions, I do believe that he should at least get the benefit of the doubt to be the No. 1, go ahead and go with the position and play well. He definitely has the full confidence of the staff and I think all of us feel very comfortable with him. At the same time, competition is important. Andy Gruenebaum was brought in, as well. He's a guy with a lot of experience. But he's also a great team guy. I know that he'll fit in well with the way that our culture is within our team on the field and also within our locker room. I think that Jonathan Kempin has been progressing, as well. I think we have a very solid core when it comes to the goalkeeper position at the moment.

On additions to the midfield...
We definitely want to add depth. You saw that we obviously drafted two more players in the middle of the midfield. We'll probably add another person here in the next coming weeks in that area of the field, as well. Because we just think that's an area we have got to maintain our strength in because that's our wheelhouse. As we move forward, we're going to need as many bodies as we can and obviously depth in those positions as we move through all the different competitions that we are in this year.

On negotiations with Michael Bradley...
I think MLS is proving that it's not what a lof of people have been saying about us for years. That is we're a retirement league. You're starting to see a lot of players in their prime come to this league and be a part of it through transfers or through DP situations. There's a lot of that going on and I think as people continue to maybe criticize or be a little bit negative around our league, what happens is we just keep passing those people by. From that point of view, I don't really pay too much attention to it because I think we're a league that is up and coming. We've continued to push the needle up and I think we'll continue to do that for many years to come. In regards to us, we were absolutely 100% involved in that opportunity to try to get Michael Bradley to come to Sporting. It was a player that we went after extremely heavily. There's not a lot of players that I personally would put my reputation behind but I think he's a fantastic player. I think he's a great professional. There's no doubt in my mind that he would have fit really well into our team. But sometimes, in these deals, they go a different way. It is what it is at the end of the day. We'll be fine because of it and we'll keep working. I think we still have a very good team without him.

Reaper16
01-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Wow. Must have caught Vermes in a rare cheery mood.

|Zach|
01-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Wow. Must have caught Vermes in a rare cheery mood.

Yea it was sort of eye opening in that respect. He doesn't have any kind of disdain with the media or a contentious relationship but he usually isn't "this is all the info" type of guy either.

He is sort of famous for being very talky with international hispanic media because he is fluent and it is a good recruiting tool.

Cornstock
01-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Sporting KC trades for goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum
Overland Park, Kan. native is an eight-year MLS veteran

http://www.sportingkc.com/sites/kansascity/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2013/12/USATSI_7259452_167117624_lowres.jpg

Sporting Kansas City has acquired goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum from the Columbus Crew in exchange for Sporting KC’s second round pick in the 2016 MLS SuperDraft, the club announced on Monday. Gruenebaum has been added to Sporting Kansas City’s roster and will occupy a senior roster spot.

“Andy is a very capable goalkeeper, someone who has been successful in Major League Soccer and has had a lot of games in the league,” Sporting KC Manager Peter Vermes said. “He is a great addition to our team and a complement to our goalkeepers. We needed someone with a lot of experience because we're in multiple major competitions in 2014.”

“I could not be more excited to come back home and play in front of family and friends,” Gruenebaum said. “The ownership, coaching staff, players and fans associated with Sporting KC are first class, and I look forward to working with two amazing goalkeepers to help win another championship. I would like to thank Peter and the rest of the organization for giving me this opportunity. My wife and I are ecstatic to be able to call Kansas City home once again.”

Gruenebaum, 30, made 82 appearances in MLS competition (including playoffs) with 277 saves, 18 shutouts and a 1.27 goals against average in eight seasons with the Crew. He led MLS with 124 saves in 2012 and was a finalist for MLS Goalkeeper of the Year after being named the Crew’s MVP and Defender of the Year. This season, he conceded the second fewest goals (28) among goalkeepers with a minimum of 15 games played.

In 2009, Gruenebaum entered the Columbus lineup and immediately led the team on an eight-game unbeaten run en route to the team’s Supporters’ Shield title. The following season, he helped the Crew reach the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup final and started all six games in the 2010-11 CONCACAF Champions League group stage as Columbus went unbeaten. He also started both of the team’s matches in the 2010 MLS Cup Playoffs.

An Overland Park, Kan. native, Gruenebaum was an All-American at Blue Valley North High School and was the Player of the Year in Kansas after leading the Mustangs to the state championship. He attended the University of Kentucky, where he recorded 21 shutouts in 66 collegiate games. Gruenebaum earned All-Conference and All-Region honors and picked up the nickname “The Hebrew Hammer.”

Prior to his senior season, Gruenebaum starred for the Des Moines Menace in the Premier Development League and was named MVP of the 2005 PDL championship.

Gruenebaum becomes the seventh Kansas City native on Sporting KC’s roster, along with Matt Besler, Christian Duke, Kevin Ellis, Jon Kempin, Erik Palmer-Brown and Seth Sinovic. He was a finalist for Player of the Year at the Kevin Gray Awards in 2013.

Transaction: Sporting Kansas City (MLS) acquires goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum from the Columbus Crew (MLS) in exchange for Sporting Kansas City’s second round pick in the 2016 MLS SuperDraft.

Andy Gruenebaum (GREW-nah-BAHM)
Position: Goalkeeper
Born: 12/30/82
Height: 6-1
Weight: 175
Hometown: Overland Park, Kan.
Birthplace: Kansas City, Mo.
Citizenship: United States
Last Club: Columbus Crew (MLS)
College: Kentucky
Twitter: @gbaum30

This is a great trade. I used to watch this guy play for the Menace in Des Moines. He was a man amongst boys.

Overall, the team was spectacular that year, but there were times throughout the playoffs and in the championship game where they looked a bit outmatched. Grueny put the team on his back. I think everyone who was around the team that year knew that he would soon be on to big things.

|Zach|
01-23-2014, 07:08 PM
This is a great trade. I used to watch this guy play for the Menace in Des Moines. He was a man amongst boys.

Overall, the team was spectacular that year, but there were times throughout the playoffs and in the championship game where they looked a bit outmatched. Grueny put the team on his back. I think everyone who was around the team that year knew that he would soon be on to big things.

The job is Eric's to lose but I truly see us as having two starting caliber keepers.

|Zach|
01-25-2014, 11:44 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7m1JvrbjK6M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach|
01-26-2014, 05:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/pKBstvZ.jpg

|Zach|
01-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Chance is mulling offers domestic and abroad. He might be with us next year but I would not really count on it.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/b3sozM31V6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Demonpenz
01-27-2014, 02:27 PM
fuck that black shirt game.

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Chance is mulling offers domestic and abroad. He might be with us next year but I would not really count on it.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/b3sozM31V6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chance turned into a solid Right back, but he's not a guy I'd break the bank to keep by any means. Only problem is, that's a position we have very little to NO depth at. I would love to see Ellis get his shot, and I hope he pans out.. But he's one of those "Practice Field phenoms".... beyond that... there is absolutely Nothing.

If Chance goes elsewhere, does Peter go overseas to find something?

|Zach|
01-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Chance turned into a solid Right back, but he's not a guy I'd break the bank to keep by any means. Only problem is, that's a position we have very little to NO depth at. I would love to see Ellis get his shot, and I hope he pans out.. But he's one of those "Practice Field phenoms".... beyond that... there is absolutely Nothing.

If Chance goes elsewhere, does Peter go overseas to find something?

I actually like Mechack Jerome and think they would have been fine with him in...having said that Chance just re-signed.

|Zach|
01-29-2014, 05:28 PM
MLS Cup-winning backline remains intact as Sporting KC, Chance Myers agree to new deal

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2013/05/myers.jpg

Sporting Kansas City's only lingering concern this offseason has been the future of out-of-contract defender Chance Myers. On Wednesday, they put that worry to bed.

A source close to the negotiations confirmed to MLSsoccer.com that the right back had agreed to contract terms with Kansas City, though he had not yet put pen to paper on the deal. Sporting KC declined to comment when contacted by MLSsoccer.com.

Myers was recently released from the US national team's January camp following a season in which he made 26 starts, scored two goals and added three assists. With Myers at right back and burying a spot kick following two extratime periods, Sporting won MLS Cup in penalties against Real Salt Lake in front of their home fans in December.

Since that match, the former No. 1-overall SuperDraft pick had been in negotiations with the only professional club he's known during his six-year professional career. Myers explored options in Europe, mainly Scandinavia, before coming to an agreement with Kansas City, who'll bring back their league-best back four in its entirety for the 2014 season.

|Zach|
02-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Sporting plays against the Portland Timbers tonight for preseason action in Tucson. The game will be live streamed at SportingKC.com at 7 central tonight.

http://siliconflorist.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/portland-timbers.png

|Zach|
02-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Sporting Kansas City and the Portland Timbers played to a 1-1 draw last night. Sporting went up fairly early on a pretty nice goal from Sal Zizzo against his former team with a nice feed from Bieler. We played down one man for a large majority of he game when Collin got two yellows.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2014/02/recap-sporting-kc-earns-1-1-draw-against-portland-timbers-second-match-pre-season

|Zach|
02-07-2014, 02:38 AM
David Beckham is getting back in the game with Major League Soccer.

The league announced Wednesday that the former LA Galaxy superstar has exercised his option for an MLS expansion team and will seek to build that team in Miami, a move rumored for months that now looks like a reality for soccer fans in South Florida.

http://wvhooligan.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/beckham-miami-750x420.jpg

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/05/david-beckham-exercises-mls-expansion-option-future-miami-franchise

MLS Commissioner Don Garber made the announcement with Beckham and Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez during a press conference at Perez Art Museum Miami. Beckham’s ownership group will now work with MLS and local officials to finalize a deal for a world-class soccer stadium, but a timeline for when negotiations need to be completed or when a Miami team might join the league were not revealed.

Beckham and his representatives plan to build a privately funded stadium for the new team, and, according to a report from The Miami Herald, met last week with Mayor Gimenez about 30 potential sites. A league statement released on Wednesday stated that an agreement for a new stadium must be finalized in order for MLS to come to Miami.

“We appreciate all that David has done as a player, an ambassador and as a global icon to help grow Major League Soccer,” Garber said in a statement. “We are thrilled that he will be an owner, and we look forward to him helping us achieve our goal of being one of the top soccer leagues in the world.”

Beckham, 38, became Major League Soccer’s first Designated Player in 2007, and led the Galaxy to two MLS Cup titles during his six seasons in the league. His arrival in LA, after trophy-filled years with European giants Manchester United and Real Madrid, ushered in a new era for the league, spurring bigger contracts for star players, seven new expansion teams and the addition of nine soccer-specific stadiums.

He left MLS following the 2012 season and finished his career with famed French club Paris Saint-Germain last year.

“From the beginning of my career in England to today in Miami, my journey has always been driven by my incredible passion for the game,” Beckham said in a statement. “Miami is a vibrant, diverse community that thrives on the same type of energy that fuels the international appeal of soccer, and I look forward to a dedicated, long-term partnership with this dynamic city and Major League Soccer. My experience with the Galaxy is what convinced me that I wanted to one day own an MLS team and it is thrilling to now see that dream coming true.”

Beckham joined a crowd of roughly 200 people for an event at Miami's John S. and James L. Knight Concert Hall on Tuesday night to drum up support for the project, and told the crowd that he expects to make Miami's franchise an international success story.

“There's going to be a few bumps along the way, but we're going to make the team in Miami not just the best team in America,” Beckham said in brief remarks to the crowd, “we're going to take the team global.”

Beckham’s ownership group includes his business partner and long-time friend Simon Fuller and Bolivian wireless telecommunications tycoon Marcelo Claure, but the remainder of the ownership group will be finalized over the next several months.

Given a pre-negotiated rate to buy an expansion franchise as part of his contract with the league as a Galaxy player in 2007, Beckham began formally zeroing in on Miami for his expansion franchise last year.

"I can remember so well my discussions with David back in 2007,” Fuller said in a statement. “The vision was for David to play in America and to help the sport that he loves to grow in popularity. It was central to our plans that one day David would own his own team. Here we are, February 2014 in Miami, the dream is now a reality and the commitment to grow the sport that he loves continues."

The favored stadium site among Beckham’s group is reportedly Biscayne Bay’s PortMiami, but Beckham visited a number of sites last year, including SunLife Stadium, Marlins Park and the FIU stadium on the Florida International University campus.

According to a report in the Herald last year, roughly 25 acres of the county-owned PortMiami site could be made available – enough for a 25,000-seat stadium with expandable seating for various events – if the site is chosen.

MLS has had a franchise in South Florida before. The Miami Fusion played in Fort Lauderdale between 1997-2001. Despite boasting a colorful and successful roster that won the Supporters’ Shield in 2001, the club was contracted along with fellow Florida club the Tampa Bay Mutiny after that season.

MLS announced last year that it will make its first foray back into Florida when Orlando City SC join the league in 2015.

“Miami is a unique melting pot of cultures that is brought together by one common thread: soccer,” Gimenez said in a statement. “During the last several months there has been palpable excitement in our city when people talk about the possibility of a Beckham-owned team. Today’s announcement is celebrated across Miami.”

|Zach|
02-07-2014, 02:42 AM
For anyone keeping score at home...

Orlando City and New York City FC come into the league in 2015.

Miami gets in only if they get a stadium plan being agreed to...best bet is 2017.

http://i.imgur.com/kEoCBIH.png

http://nbcprosoccertalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/pst-orlando-city.jpg%3Fw%3D320

SPATCH
02-08-2014, 01:26 PM
So, it's been a hell of an offseason for MLS...

|Zach|
02-09-2014, 03:15 AM
So, it's been a hell of an offseason for MLS...

Insanity.

|Zach|
02-12-2014, 10:56 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XrcU2ldjl_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach|
02-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Teal Bunbury traded to New England for a 1st Round Draft Pick and allocation money.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/19/new-england-revolution-acquire-forward-teal-bunbury-trade-sporting-kansas-ci

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/52/ed/52ed48ce62ffcc1d493bff6f3946ab59.jpg?itok=inDmrtGr

Fansy the Famous Bard
02-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Teal Bunbury traded to New England for a 1st Round Draft Pick and allocation money.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/19/new-england-revolution-acquire-forward-teal-bunbury-trade-sporting-kansas-ci

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/52/ed/52ed48ce62ffcc1d493bff6f3946ab59.jpg?itok=inDmrtGr

Was waiting for that shoe to drop. Peter was pretty obvious with how Teal fit into his plans last season.

SPATCH
02-20-2014, 03:11 PM
I think the consensus is generally that we came out ahead on this one, right?

|Zach|
02-20-2014, 06:21 PM
I think the consensus is generally that we came out ahead on this one, right?

I would say it is a case where everyone won.

Teal is a good player who was held back because of an injury and he just didn't have much of a place on this team. He is the perfect player who could blossom with a change of scenery.

We get good value for someone who just wasn't in our plans all that much.

|Zach|
02-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Marc Stein of ESPN reporting 16 year old Sporting Kansas City Defender Erik Palmer Brown to be signed by Jueventus.

Spicy McHaggis
02-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Legs to this or just the old report popping back up?

SPATCH
02-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Legs to this or just the old report popping back up?

Here's the Stein article. Doesn't look like much has changed since the initial report.

."

Spicy McHaggis
02-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Figured as much. It's pretty cool that there is big-time European interest in EPB, but I'd really enjoy getting to see him suit up for us for a few years first.

And I think the Teal move was necessary and prudent. Should save some $$$ as well.

|Zach|
02-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Thierry Henry brushes off talk of MLS as "easy league," throws down gauntlet to Europe | SIDELINE

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1888495_10152226670218887_1235687991_n.jpg

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sideline/news/article/2014/02/23/thierry-henry-brushes-criticisms-mls-easy-league-throws-down-gauntlet-europe?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

Thierry Henry may make it look easy with plays like this, but mark his words: MLS is no cakewalk.

In a video interview with ESPNFC.com this week (above), the New York Red Bulls' star forward discussed his experience convincing his colleagues in Europe of the league's quality and difficult level,

"People [in Europe] have the view of MLS that it’s an easy league, that you can come here and score goals and it’s going to be easy," Henry explained. "I keep on telling them, ‘It’s not that easy.’ You have to perform, you have to show people here that you can play and they’ll give you your respect, but not before that."

The English Premier League's third-ranked goalscorer of all time knows a thing or two about the goalscoring side of things, and even the difficulty of scoring in MLS – his 10-goal output in 2013 was the only the third time since he joined Arsenal in 1999 that he's scored 10 or fewer league goals in a full season of play.

Thierry Henry may make it look easy with plays like this, but mark his words: MLS is no cakewalk.

In a video interview with ESPNFC.com this week (above), the New York Red Bulls' star forward discussed his experience convincing his colleagues in Europe of the league's quality and difficult level,

"People [in Europe] have the view of MLS that it’s an easy league, that you can come here and score goals and it’s going to be easy," Henry explained. "I keep on telling them, ‘It’s not that easy.’ You have to perform, you have to show people here that you can play and they’ll give you your respect, but not before that."

The English Premier League's third-ranked goalscorer of all time knows a thing or two about the goalscoring side of things, and even the difficulty of scoring in MLS – his 10-goal output in 2013 was the only the third time since he joined Arsenal in 1999 that he's scored 10 or fewer league goals in a full season of play.

|Zach|
03-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Preseason is finally over. Sporting Kansas City opens up the 2014 MLS season in Seattle on March 8th.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1/1798627_10152239667337042_1208218002_n.jpg

SPATCH
03-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Opening Day is really going to be on NBCSports instead of NBC? wtf MLS?

|Zach|
03-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Alternate jersey reveal is tonight.

SPATCH
03-04-2014, 09:56 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bh7Ew6ZIMAEg4gt.jpg

SPATCH
03-04-2014, 10:14 PM
http://www.sportingkc.com/sites/kansascity/files/Jerseys%20for%20Web.jpg

Demonpenz
03-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Not a huge fan of the kits, but atleast they aren't boring.

|Zach|
03-06-2014, 07:56 AM
Cruz Azul’s Torrado expects Sporting test in CCL

http://www.concacaf.com/article/cruz-azuls-torrado-expects-sporting-test-in-ccl

http://p1.trrsf.com/image/fget/cf/407/305/images.terra.com/2012/09/02/gerardo.jpg

MEXICO CITY, MÉXICO – Next week, Cruz Azul will return to CONCACAF Champions League action in search of a record sixth confederation club crown, but the process of achieving such a lofty objective won’t be simple.

Midfielder Gerardo Torrado realizes that La Maquina’s quarterfinal series against Sporting Kansas City -- the current Major League Soccer champion -- is going to be a difficult proposition.

“I think that they can be a very disciplined opponent tactically, physically very strong and a very serious opponent for which we will have to study well,” Torrado told CONCACAF.com.

The first leg will be played March 12 at Kansas City’s Sporting Park, a venue with which Cruz Azul has no familiarity. Despite the possibility of chilly temperatures, Torrado is looking forward to the trip and witnessing firsthand the passion Sporting’s supporters.

“It is going to be a wonderful experience, to play on a field in the United States,” commented the 34-year-old. “I imagine that there will be a good crowd. I don’t know their fans, but I think they support them a lot, so it will also be a delightful experience for us.

“It is going to motivate us to come out to a good atmosphere and look to win.”

The Cruz Azul-Sporting Kansas City pairing is one of three quarterfinals pitting clubs from the United States and Mexico against each other. In Torrado’s opinion, this will further cultivate competition between the North American leagues.

“The rivalry has grown a lot between the Mexican teams and the U.S. teams,” he noted. “Football in the U.S. has improved in a considerable form. There is no doubt Sporting Kansas City is an opponent that we will have to analyze well to be intelligent about them.”

Torrado assures the fans of Cruz Azul that the squad – just as in Liga MX play -- will give maximum effort against Kansas City in its bid to secure a semifinal berth.

“In the league, the team is very committed,” finished the Mexico national team veteran. “We are eager to do things well, have a good team, work hard in the team and we look for the same in the Champions League.”

SPATCH
03-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Honestly, I would take a CCL championship over another MLS Cup this year. No doubt.

|Zach|
03-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Honestly, I would take a CCL championship over another MLS Cup this year. No doubt.

It would be very cool...and the organization has made it clear they feel the same way you do.

On one hand i agree but on the other it is sort of hard to imagine I wouldn't be disappointed if a team good enough to get CCL title didn't win either Supporters Shield or MLS Cup.

Reaper16
03-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Season opener is starting in mere minutes.

The lineup today indicates that Vermes cares much more about the CCL game against Cruz Azul than he does this league game. I still expect Sporting to come out of Seattle with points though, because this roster is deep and this team is boss.

Reaper16
03-08-2014, 03:04 PM
SKC has looked like the stronger side so far. Scoreless, but a few excellent defensive plays by Sounders' keeper (Frei) & CB (Traore) have prevented goals.

Reaper16
03-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Also, Century Link Field is kind of a Slip-n-Slide out there today.

Fansy the Famous Bard
03-08-2014, 04:18 PM
w t f was Kronburg thinking?

We are effing cursed against Seattle.

TambaBerry
03-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Terrible goal keeping

loochy
03-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Lol

nice crunch time d

chiefsfan987
03-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Way to go SKC. Instead of attacking you sit back and try to get the tie, and yet again Seattle wins in the final seconds of the game. Seriously, how many times has that happened?

Demonpenz
03-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Sucky result. Not really surprised. Zusi and Dwyer looked good.

Stanley Nickels
03-12-2014, 07:19 PM
1-0 SKC right now against Cruz Azul.

This announcer is awful. Here are some of the more memorable pronunciations/mistakes from just the past 30 minutes or so:
Peter Verms
Sporting Kansas
Ikay O-pareh
"We'll return from Missouri after the break"
Ori Ross-l

Stanley Nickels
03-12-2014, 07:19 PM
TREMENDOUS defense from Sinovic and Opara.

Stanley Nickels
03-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Once again "Sporting Park in Missouri".

Stanley Nickels
03-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Fielhaber gets away with a goal-denying handball.

Stanley Nickels
03-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Taking a good 1-goal lead into Mexico City next week. That game will be intense. It's evident that a CONCACAF run is really important to the staff.

Demonpenz
03-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Sweet Victory.

POND_OF_RED
03-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Sporting to host Man City this summer. July 23rd. Hope it's just like the last time a team from Manchester came to play in KC.

Demonpenz
03-18-2014, 11:33 PM
Collin is such a weapon on offense.

Reaper16
03-18-2014, 11:42 PM
Collin is such a weapon on offense.

SKC 2014: only defenders can score.

Demonpenz
03-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Pretty much. Dwyer has shown flashes though.

SPATCH
03-19-2014, 07:27 PM
CCL tonight!!! Taking on Cruz Azul at 9pm.

Quakes just went up 1-0 (2-1 agg) on Deportivo Toluca in second half in Mexico right now, too.

Stanley Nickels
03-19-2014, 08:09 PM
well shit.

SPchief
03-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Goal right as they switch over

Stanley Nickels
03-19-2014, 09:19 PM
well shit.

Fansy the Famous Bard
03-19-2014, 09:22 PM
has SKC even touched the ball in the second half?
Cruz Azul showing their class

Stanley Nickels
03-19-2014, 09:30 PM
What the fuck is Kronberg doing?????

Fansy the Famous Bard
03-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Kronberg is really, really bad.

Stanley Nickels
03-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Kronberg is really, really bad.

Occam's Razor and all. Wanna know why that guy was on our squad as a backup for 10 years? Because he's career backup talent.

Fansy the Famous Bard
03-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Occam's Razor and all. Wanna know why that guy was on our squad as a backup for 10 years? Because he's career backup talent.

he didn't even try on goal number 5.

Stanley Nickels
03-19-2014, 09:34 PM
And that, as they say, is that.

SPchief
03-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Horrible defense and goal keeping in the 2nd half

Stanley Nickels
03-19-2014, 09:36 PM
The worst part about this isn't the loss, it's not the inevitable superiority complex of Mexican soccer fans.. it's that we were one half away from advancing and took a runny shit right down our collective thighs. Our guys were gassed, but that's soccer. I don't give a fuck if you play bunker ball-- it'd likely end up bad anyway-- just don't force passes, think you can get a buffer goal, and cost yourself so drastically on the counter attack.

SPATCH
03-19-2014, 09:43 PM
The worst part about this isn't the loss, it's not the inevitable superiority complex of Mexican soccer fans.. it's that we were one half away from advancing and took a runny shit right down our collective thighs. Our guys were gassed, but that's soccer. I don't give a **** if you play bunker ball-- it'd likely end up bad anyway-- just don't force passes, think you can get a buffer goal, and cost yourself so drastically on the counter attack.

...and it ain't like we are midseason form. This sucks, man.

Reaper16
03-19-2014, 09:46 PM
An MLS team won't win CCL until it gets on the same schedule as everywhere else in the world. Liga MX is the better league but its not THAT much better. The difference is Liga MX teams are in midseason form.

Reaper16
03-19-2014, 09:47 PM
But also, fuck this lame earth.

SPATCH
03-19-2014, 10:15 PM
But also, **** this lame earth.

This is one of the lamest earths I have ever inhabited.

Demonpenz
03-19-2014, 11:48 PM
If Sporting KC was on a Japanese game show, they would be cutting off a finger right now.

Demonpenz
03-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Everyone looked decent tonight. I thought the handball was legit there could have been another one later. Ike should have a goal. Zusi..beastmode.....Benny...beast mode.

Reaper16
03-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Pretty sad that Ike didn't tap that one in, but the embarrassment is offset by Wondolowski's incomprehensible miss in the 2nd half.

Benny is on some superstar shit lately. He's playing like a man possessed.

Demonpenz
03-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Weather was the worst that I an remember, probably because the game for me didn't have the feel as a must win or a big game... Don't know what it did for the players.

GloryDayz
03-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Wow, that was a bullshit turn of events for SKC...

AussieChiefsFan
03-29-2014, 05:46 PM
Equalizer!

GloryDayz
03-29-2014, 05:55 PM
I like chippie soccer!

GloryDayz
03-29-2014, 05:58 PM
YES///

GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AussieChiefsFan
03-29-2014, 05:59 PM
Hell yes!!!

GloryDayz
03-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Well, the stoners will needa fire up the bongs to get over that loss!!

morphius
03-29-2014, 11:26 PM
To give up 2 free kicks like that and still win, amazing. Especially how bad we looked in the first half.

Titty Meat
03-30-2014, 04:11 PM
SKC is the only franchise in town that tries to win. Props to them.

GloryDayz
03-30-2014, 04:37 PM
SKC is the only franchise in town that tries to win. Props to them.

Agree.. Rep!

SPATCH
04-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Let's ride, boys.

GloryDayz
04-05-2014, 08:21 PM
RSL getting a lot of help from the officials now!

GloryDayz
04-05-2014, 08:22 PM
This official is over the top...

GloryDayz
04-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Somebody really needs to square-up on this official!

GloryDayz
04-05-2014, 08:26 PM
You must be fucking kidding me... This official really needs to be taken to task by the league. I fnot, SKC needs to be very public with their requests for these calls to be compared.

SPATCH
04-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Really unlucky not to win tonight. We looked like the much better team all night. Bogus red card didn't help.

GloryDayz
04-05-2014, 08:31 PM
NOBODY should shake the official's hand without pulling their hand back and calling him a ass!

GloryDayz
04-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Really unlucky not to win tonight. We looked like the much better team all night. Bogus red card didn't help.

It was a straight-up bad call when contrasted with the rest of his calls... If THAT was a red card, there should have been no more than 4 RSL players left playing.

And the "you're not on the pitch" excuse if BS...

penguinz
04-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Really unlucky not to win tonight. We looked like the much better team all night. Bogus red card didn't help.I am a SKC fan and I also referee and that was an easy decision for a red card. It met the requirements for Serious Foul Play.

I think there was also an opportunity to red an RSL player as well.

GloryDayz
04-05-2014, 09:32 PM
I am a SKC fan and I also referee and that was an easy decision for a red card. It met the requirements for Serious Foul Play.

I think there was also an opportunity to red an RSL player as well.

That was my point. He saw things/called things very differently based on the jersey.

penguinz
04-05-2014, 10:34 PM
That was my point. He saw things/called things very differently based on the jersey.

Some of this has to do with how Peter treats the refs. He despises referees and he makes sure they know it.

GloryDayz
04-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Some of this has to do with how Peter treats the refs. He despises referees and he makes sure they know it.

Well, go back to my post where thye need to square up on him...

No differnet that a catcher accidentally (on purpose) letting an Ump take a fastball to the mask....it's all in the game...

Fansy the Famous Bard
05-12-2014, 08:39 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/12/kick-mls-reportedly-set-new-tv-deals-usmnt-announce-roster

New TV Deal for the league.

|Zach|
05-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Lots,going on. Will update all of this soon.

Titty Meat
05-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Why does SKC have a guy speak with a fake brittish accent?

Superbowltrashcan
05-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Why does SKC have a guy speak with a fake brittish accent?

Stupid on so many levels. And use spell check.....

Reaper16
05-14-2014, 08:21 PM
this game is a fart

SPchief
05-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Philly is some thugs

Demonpenz
05-14-2014, 08:32 PM
rubbish

verbaljitsu
05-15-2014, 02:22 AM
That was a bad performance. It happens. Philly was CONCACAF'ing it up, but SKC lost because they played awful for 70 minutes.

Juliao's performance was mixed, but I'm excited to see what he can do. Guy has wheels.

If Collin is hurt and misses a couple of weeks, we are going to be in a tough spot. Chance Meyers at CB? Uri? I don't really see the upside of putting an injured 17 year old Palmer-Brown back there.

SPATCH
05-15-2014, 09:02 AM
What's all this business about Uri leaving for a Portuguese club???

Bearcat
05-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Boulevard Honors Sporting Kansas City’s Historic Victory with Championship Ale (http://www.craftbeer.com/news/brewery-news/boulevard-honors-sporting-kansas-citys-historic-victory-with-championship-ale)

You'll spend 2 hours wondering why you're drinking such a boring beer, then be pleasantly surprised by the last couple of drinks, har har.

Fansy the Famous Bard
05-19-2014, 11:04 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bn91eQwIYAAnfub.jpg:large

:bravo:

listopencil
05-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Ghost at a soccer match:

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_NDXo6R7bRc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

morphius
05-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Ghost at a soccer match:

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_NDXo6R7bRc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
Looks like a large bird shadow.

SPchief
05-23-2014, 07:28 PM
This ref blows

Reaper16
05-23-2014, 10:10 PM
I'll take a point, considering that SKC was down to like the 9th choice for CB or some shit.

Demonpenz
05-23-2014, 11:23 PM
chance may be out for the year. He has been balls as of late, but still experience and such at the back line.

Pepe Silvia
05-24-2014, 12:03 AM
Ghost at a soccer match:

lol It's the shadow of that camera that they swing on a fucking zip line.

Fansy the Famous Bard
06-03-2014, 01:52 PM
http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2014/06/sporting-kansas-city-agrees-transfer-oriol-rosell-sporting-cp-lisbon-portugal

Sporting Kansas City announced on Tuesday that the club has agreed to transfer midfielder Oriol Rosell to Sporting CP in Lisbon, Portugal. Sporting Kansas City will receive two-thirds of the transfer fee to use as allocation money per MLS rules, as well as a percentage of any future transfer of Rosell from Sporting CP to another clu​b.

Per club policy, terms of the agreement will not be disclosed.

“We wish Uri the best of luck in pursuing this new opportunity," said Sporting Club CEO Robb Heineman. "The perception from the outside might be that the timing is not great, but from the inside we believe that the timing is perfect. It opens the door for Uri and for us. Uri came from Barcelona B to Sporting Kansas City, won an MLS Cup and furthered his development on the field. This transfer helps enable us to retain our core players while adding pieces to the team. As we continue to build our roster for the future, and looking at our goal of pursuing championships, we identify what types of players we need to have on our roster to compete continuously for the U.S. Open Cup, MLS Cup and Champions League. This move has also expanded the relationships we have built with many top clubs, opening access to similar players around the world, showcasing what can be accomplished in Kansas City and the other platforms that open up from here.”

Rosell, 21, joined Sporting Kansas City in August 2012 from Barcelona B. He contributed two goals and two assists in 49 MLS appearances (including postseason) and led all MLS players with 130 interceptions during the 2013 season. Rosell was voted No. 14 on MLSsoccer.com's top 24 players under the age of 24 last year and made his international debut for Catalonia in 2013.

Sporting Clube de Portugal were runners-up in the Liga ZON Sagres this season and will compete in the 2014-15 UEFA Champions League. The team features two-time MLS All-Star Fredy Montero, as well as four players on national team rosters for the 2014 FIFA World Cup: Islam Slimani (ALG), Marcos Rojo (ARG), William Carvalho (POR) and Rui Patricio (POR).

In accordance with MLS Roster Rules and Regulations, allocation money does not count against a club's salary budget and can be used:
To sign players new to MLS
To re-sign an existing MLS player, subject to League approval
To "buy-down" a player's salary budget charge below the League maximum
In connection with the exercise of an option to purchase a player's rights or the extension of a player's contract for the second year provided the player was new to MLS in the immediately prior year
Rosell becomes the third Sporting Kansas City player in the last 18 months to move to Europe. In 2013, Honduran midfielder Roger Espinoza joined Wigan Athletic (England) and Sierra Leone striker Kei Kamara was transferred to Middlesbrough FC (England). Rosell’s transfer will open a Salary Budget Player spot and international slot on the Sporting Kansas City roster.

|Zach|
06-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Bummer.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10370990_451160435018391_2757916307348494344_n.jpg

|Zach|
06-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Header updated.

Fansy the Famous Bard
06-24-2014, 07:13 PM
game isn't televised tonight! blah!

|Zach|
06-27-2014, 05:55 AM
Sporting is out of the USOC but is in Portland tonight to resume league play.

salame
06-29-2014, 02:03 AM
i be lives

|Zach|
06-29-2014, 07:35 AM
Header updated. With all the disruptions and problems it is incredible to see Sporting Kansas City back at the top of their conference. Really nice result in PDX.

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Sporting Kansas City’s Matt Besler has ‘enormous interest’ from international clubs following World Cup

Before Matt Besler traveled to the 2009 MLS SuperDraft in St. Louis, he packed a suitcase for New York City. The Red Bulls had already laid out their plans to draft Besler and make him a fixture on their back line.

It never happened. Instead, Sporting Kansas City — the hometown team for the Overland Park native — selected Besler three picks earlier, thus beginning a harmonious relationship that has included an MLS championship and an MLS defender of the year award.

More than five years later, that relationship could be nearing its final days.

Sporting Club CEO Robb Heineman acknowledged Thursday that the club has received “enormous interest” from overseas teams wanting to acquire Besler, as well as his Sporting KC teammate Graham Zusi. The offers for Besler — which have come “from different leagues all over the world,” Heineman said — spiked after his highly-rated performance for the United States in the World Cup.

Asked about the chances of Besler transferring to play overseas, Heineman replied, “I’d say there’s a strong possibility that could happen based on the interest that’s out there.”

If it were to happen, it would happen “probably within the next 10 days,” according to Besler’s agent, Eddie Rock. Besler deferred questions about the situation to his agent.

Rock said Besler is weighing three options regarding his future — sign an extension with Sporting Kansas City, transfer to a club in the English Premier League or transfer to a club in Bundesliga, recognized as the top league in Germany. He has received offers from both leagues, which begin their 2014-15 seasons next month.

They would figure to offer Besler significant raises from his current salary of $200,000 with Sporting KC. Besler is set to become a free agent after making $220,000 next season, Rock said. The average salary for an English Premier League player exceeds $2 million.

“If Matt re-signs with the league now, his intentions would be to be a one-club player for the rest of his career. His goal would be to finish atop Sporting and the Wizards in all-time appearances and longest captaincy. He would try to build a dynasty there,” Rock said.

“The biggest factor with a potential move is do they provide a bigger ceiling for Matt’s development as a player? Would playing in the EPL or in the Bundesliga bring him to an even higher level as a player simply because you’re playing against the top players in the world on a daily and weekly basis?”

If Besler agrees to a deal with a foreign club, that team would be required to pay Sporting KC and the MLS an agreeable transfer fee — and likely a significant one. Besler, 27, has spent six seasons with the Wizards and Sporting KC franchise and is in his first year as the team’s captain.

Heineman said he has already received terms sheets with official transfer fee offers from European clubs, but Sporting KC plans to first make its pitch to keep Besler in Kansas City for the long-term.

“We’ll try to do everything we can to retain our guys, particularly guys like (Besler and Zusi) that are so core to our team,” Heineman said. “But sometimes guys are going to have aspirations to do different things. If that’s the case, we try to do something that’s mutually beneficial to both the player and the club.”

Heineman declined to discuss the exact fee it would take to pry Besler away from Kansas City. When Sporting KC agreed to transfer Uri Rosell last month to Clube de Portugal, the transfer fee was more than $1.5 million, a source told The Star. Sporting KC retained two-thirds of the fee, with one-third going to the MLS.

Besler is making national media stops at ESPN on Thursday and has appearances booked with “Good Morning America” and “Morning Joe,” among others, on Friday. He will not play in Sporting KC’s home match Sunday against Chicago.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article669286.html#storylink=cpy

Reaper16
07-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Can't wait for SKC to avenge that loss against Chicago from earlier this season. Game starts now on ESPN.

JoeyChuckles
07-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Yellow card for a celebration? I didn't know that was a thing.

Reaper16
07-06-2014, 01:58 PM
I hate Mike Magee. He's like the Jonny Gomes versus the Royals of soccer

Reaper16
07-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Almost in nothing in MLS pisses me off more than not beating Chicago Fire.

Deberg_1990
07-06-2014, 03:05 PM
So a tie isnt a bad thing is it? KC fans are acting like its a loss?

Reaper16
07-06-2014, 03:10 PM

A tie is a bad thing when its a team that's only won two games all season, and you dominate them on paper, and its a home game, and the two fanbases hate each other.

And you make good chances disappear into dust for much of the 2nd half.

|Zach|
07-06-2014, 07:22 PM

Fucking Chicago man. It's bad. Not awful but annoying. We should curb stomp them...but they always fucking grind out a result.

|Zach|
07-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Sporting Kansas City takes on the Montreal Impact tonight.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsXYAPfIUAExne_.jpg

Titty Meat
07-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Ive enjoyed watching the last few SKC games on tv

Stinger
07-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Rout may be on 2-0 NED

Demonpenz
07-12-2014, 03:53 PM
AG era begins.

|Zach|
07-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Dom Dwyer owns Montreal.

Demonpenz
07-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Beslers throws look unimpressive to the eye, then you see some of the shit throws by the other pussies in the sport.

|Zach|
07-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Need to regain meaningful possession in the second half.

Reaper16
07-12-2014, 07:12 PM
It'd be nice if Sapong could get his career back together.

Reaper16
07-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Also, Olum is no replacement for Uri. SKC needs crisper passing out of that position.

Reaper16
07-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Credit to Sapong for keeping up the pressure that led to the 2nd Dwyer goal. I don't know what exactly led to Pearce & Perkins messing that up so badly.

bowener
07-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Myself and two friends are looking to go to the Man City match on the 23rd. Where is the best place to look for tickets?

WhawhaWhat
07-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Myself and two friends are looking to go to the Man City match on the 23rd. Where is the best place to look for tickets?

Stubhub has some starting at $70.

|Zach|
07-12-2014, 11:38 PM

Tell ya what man....a normal game is going to be a much better game experience on and off the field than a game that doesn't mean anything to either team.

SPATCH
07-17-2014, 04:59 PM
It's official. Sporting was able to weather the monumental shitstorm of this season's injuries/absences and is back on top of the east.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/standings

-King-
07-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Tell ya what man....a normal game is going to be a much better game experience on and off the field than a game that doesn't mean anything to either team.

Yeah, but this might be his only chance to see real professional soccer players.

WhitiE
07-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Gonna be in kc at the end of August and plan on going to the dynamo game

Demonpenz
07-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Nice couple of wins. Benny after a slow start to his SKC career playing very well.

Fansy the Famous Bard
07-18-2014, 06:33 AM
the Red on Collin was absolutely unimaginable... If you want to know why players flop and flail on the ground, acting like they just got shot when someone comes inside their bubble -> that's it right there. The Columbus player's acting won them a Red card on a play that probably wasn't even a foul.

On the flip side the second yellow on Trapp was ridiculous as well... It's really, really hard to be a fan of this league at times, when the refereeing is so monumentally bad. I mean... bad bad... like how in the **** are these guys getting paid for this shit bad.

BWillie
07-21-2014, 03:56 PM
So did Besler and Zusi get signed and get a raise? Quick internet look up shows Besler making $91,000 last year, Zusi $100,000. Kinda sad when you are a Top Tier American soccer star, and Sporting & MLS pay you chump change.

|Zach|
07-21-2014, 04:10 PM
So did Besler and Zusi get signed and get a raise? Quick internet look up shows Besler making $91,000 last year, Zusi $100,000. Kinda sad when you are a Top Tier American soccer star, and Sporting & MLS pay you chump change.

Those don't reflect what they are actually making. I don't even know why they publish those numbers they are always so misleading.

What the union shares is only the guaranteed compensation for each player. Basically, that's their base salary and a prorated portion of a signing bonus. Any other performance-based bonuses are not counted, nor are transfer or loan fees. Also retention funds and money for designated players over the base 350k are not counted.

|Zach|
07-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Besler and Zusi are both probably making between 1 and 2 million a year now.

chiefsfan987
07-22-2014, 05:49 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article784791.html

aturnis
07-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Any guess on the big announcement?

memyselfI
07-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Any guess on the big announcement?

Huge news.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article791676.html

Reerun_KC
07-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Huge news.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article791676.html
So awesome.

C3HIEF3S
07-23-2014, 07:00 PM
New SKC viewer here.

When English soccer teams play friendly matches do they play any of their usual starters?
Any idea what to expect out of this game?

penguinz
07-23-2014, 07:22 PM
New SKC viewer here.

When English soccer teams play friendly matches do they play any of their usual starters?
Any idea what to expect out of this game?

These are their preseason games. Big names play. Some a lot and some very little.

WhitiE
07-26-2014, 06:28 PM
What a goal by Zusi

Fairplay
07-26-2014, 06:33 PM
KC lucked out not getting scored on there

WhitiE
07-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Dayum

Fairplay
07-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Excellent goal by Peterson and very cool kick back by Dwyer to make it happen

WhitiE
07-26-2014, 06:48 PM
I love watching this team play

KChiefs1
07-26-2014, 06:56 PM
This is stressful watching this.

WhitiE
07-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Woot woot!!!!!

Fairplay
07-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Win

Demonpenz
07-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Beast mode.

GloryDayz
07-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fansy the Famous Bard
07-28-2014, 06:21 AM
Again, the ref was so far in over his head. Why is finding competent officials so difficult for this league?

penguinz
07-28-2014, 06:45 AM
Again, the ref was so far in over his head. Why is finding competent officials so difficult for this league?

Part if the problem is that the refs have little support from the league. High profile players and coaches are allowed to say pretty much anything they want to/about the referees.

Fansy the Famous Bard
07-28-2014, 06:58 AM
The one thing that scares me right now, is that I see Robb Heineman moving on at some point. He's been the driving force of SKC, the visionary, the engine of this ownership.... He's gonna end up with an important role somewhere... maybe commish of the league, or US soccer Pres or something in the future.... forcing him to be taken out of the SKC ownership. So Enjoy it while it lasts, SKC fans.

Demonpenz
07-28-2014, 07:13 AM
The one thing that scares me right now, is that I see Robb Heineman moving on at some point. He's been the driving force of SKC, the visionary, the engine of this ownership.... He's gonna end up with an important role somewhere... maybe commish of the league, or US soccer Pres or something in the future.... forcing him to be taken out of the SKC ownership. So Enjoy it while it lasts, SKC fans.

It's set up to keep running at this point. Winners keep winning and losers keep losing. It is easier to keep this franchise from not becoming a disaster than to turn the whole thing around.

Chest Rockwell
07-29-2014, 07:38 AM
So awesome.

Y'all are blowin' up. The Atlantic Citylab. (www.citylab.com/design/2014/07/welcome-to-kansas-city-kansas-the-new-soccer-capital-of-america/375176/)

Not bad...

Spoiler'd because wall o' text:

Welcome to Kansas City, Kansas: The Unlikely New Soccer Capital of the United States

For U.S. soccer fans, World Cup hopes now run through a $75 million facility in an emerging Midwest powerhouse.

SAM STURGIS @sampsturgis Jul 28, 2014

Nearly 20 years ago, players for the Kansas City Wizards were greeted by roughly 70,000 empty seats each time they took the field. In 1997, just one year into their stint as the professional soccer club of Kansas City, Missouri, average attendance had plummeted by more than 4,000 fans from the previous year. Ticket prices quickly followed, dropping to as low as $4. Enthusiasm for the team became so anemic that frisbee-catching dogs were ultimately dispatched for the halftime show, a last ditch effort to entice bodies into the cavernous stadium. Soccer in Kansas City, Missouri, was failing fast.

During the same period, however, neighboring Kansas City, Kansas—often viewed as the meek little brother of Kansas City, Missouri—was undergoing a rapid transformation that would indirectly shake up the region's (and ultimately the country's) soccer scene.

Citizens of Kansas City, Kansas, and the adjacent Wyandotte County voted in 1997 to unify their governments. The reasons had very little to do with soccer. The real goals were to boost tax revenues, streamline business opportunities, and create new tax-free zones. Kansas City, Kansas, was desperate to increase the land base it could offer potential investors. The towns that made up Wyandotte County, meanwhile, were too small and poor to generate business interest. Unifying the government, their citizens believed, would be beneficial for both jurisdictions. Now, more than 15 years later, Kansas City, Kansas, is reaping tremendous benefits from the decision.

This fall, construction is expected to begin on a projected $75 million "National Training and Coaching Development Center," which will make Kansas City, Kansas the unlikely epicenter of American soccer. The project is ambitious: When completed, it will feature 16 soccer fields, state-of-the-art conditioning facilities, and a 125-room hotel for visiting teams and fans. "This gives me chills to have this opportunity to do this [project] in Kansas City [Kansas]," Rob Heinnemen, CEO of Sporting KC soccer club, said at a recent press conference.

The project, with an anticipated completion date of June 2016, is indicative of a resurgent soccer culture in the area. In 2011, the Kansas City Wizards relocated across the border to Kansas City, Kansas, built a new stadium, and the move was labeled "a great success story" by the commissioner of Major League Soccer. Now known as Sporting KC, average attendance for the team's games has skyrocketed to 107 percent thanks to wild demand for standing-room-only tickets.

"Before they unified, both the city and county weren't going anywhere. They were dying," says Roger Barrett, senior project manager with SK Design group, a civil engineering firm based in the Kansas City, Kansas, metropolitan area. Barrett has overseen urban-development projects on both sides of the Missouri-Kansas border, but he sees Kansas City, Kansas, as the leading frontier for regional business.

This newest training facility—and the Kansas City Wizards' decision to relocate across the border—did not arise organically. Village West, a town on the border of Kansas City, Kansas, was nothing more than rural countryside at the turn of the millennium. The post-1997 unity government, however, issued Village West-specific STAR bonds, a loan paid back through sales-tax revenue generated by the new commercial enterprise to private companies willing to make a risky investment in the city's outskirts. Village West has since become the commercial center of Kansas City, Kansas—and the future site of the fancy, new national soccer facility.

“They saw the power of joining forces and floating bonds and creating tax-free zones,” he says. “Kansas City, Kansas was always the step-child to Kansas City, Missouri, but now it’s become the new kid on the block and is teaching the old man a few tricks.”

Beyond the planned national soccer facility, however, is an even larger commercial endeavor that has quietly made a move into the city. In 2011, Google Fiber—the multinational corporation’s foray into the field of ultra-fast internet—chose Kansas City, Kansas, to be its first operation site after a nationwide application process. The city’s central location in the middle of the country made it an ideal starting place as Google gradually tries to re-wire America’s internet infrastructure.

Imagine, if you will, June of 2018, when the next World Cup begins. Millions of Americans could be streaming matches using an internet service that launched in this small city. Moreover, the U.S. squad’s performance will hopefully be improved as a result of the new training center. Russia may be the site of that future World Cup, but any hope Americans might have of winning it depends heavily on Kansas City, Kansas.

"We're not used to being this impactful in the big game of life, let alone soccer," says Barrett. "We're used to being a sleepy little city."

a pp roach
08-17-2014, 09:57 AM
4-1, bitches.

YOLO