Ace Gunner
12-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Chiefs rewarded for handling of Fisher

By Adam Teicher | ESPN.com

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1213/nfl_u_fisher1x_200x300.jpg
Eric Fisher projects as the Chiefs'
starting left tackle of the future, but the
team has developed a comfort level
for now with the rookie on the right side.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- His weekly exercise in studying video of the previous game is no longer like torture for rookie offensive tackle Eric Fisher. The first pick in this year's NFL draft, Fisher has recently started to play like it as the right tackle for the Kansas City Chiefs.

"Every week is going better and better," Fisher said. "Everything is slowing down. Everything feels more natural. I can see it with my play on film."

Fisher projects as the starting left tackle for the Chiefs, perhaps as soon as next season. For the rest of this season, they're committing to Fisher on the right side, even with starting left tackle Branden Albert not practicing or playing because of a hyperextended knee.

The Chiefs wisely allowed Fisher to concentrate on one position.

"Right now it's just a comfort level with him with him on the right side," offensive coordinator Doug Pederson said. "With his progression and his growth, it's best just to keep him where he's at.

"When you get into the season like that, guys kind of get into their spot."

The Chiefs have allowed their backup linemen, tackle Donald Stephenson and guard Geoff Schwartz, to be the swing players at those spots. They've left their starters in one place, a move that has paid off as their offensive line has made large strides over the past few weeks.

No one lineman has improved more than Fisher, who early in the season was lost. But he survived because of his athletic skills.

"He's probably the one that's really improved the most," Pederson said. "He's understanding how to play."

A year in the Chiefs' weight program will benefit Fisher, who struggles at times with power pass rushers. But once he muscles up, the Chiefs could well be looking at one of the better left tackles in the league.

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/2956/chiefs-rewarded-for-how-they-handled-fisher

TimBone
12-14-2013, 07:08 AM
This article sure is full of wishful thinking.

milkman
12-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Who wrote this fiction?

Messier
12-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Ah. The o-line experts are chiming in.

-King-
12-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Lol let's ignore that he was benched for two or three games.
Posted via Mobile Device

bevischief
12-14-2013, 07:46 AM
I was hoping more for draft picks...

Lex Luthor
12-14-2013, 07:50 AM
You guys should really read Chiefsplanet. There's good information on it about Chiefs players. For example, there's a nice post on it about Eric Fisher's improvement as measured by Pro Football Focus.

But what do they know at PFF, right? It's a lot more fun to just to continue ripping the 1.1 draft pick.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/09/pff-reaction-blog-week-14-2/

12.30 – Chiefs at Redskins Game Notes

One of the most exciting weekends of NFL football ever? Not if you are a Redskins fan it wasn’t. As both DeAngelo Hall and Baccari Rambo made equally pathetic attempts to bring down Dwayne Bowe on his 21 yard TD it felt like a microcosm of the season. Then bringing in Kirk Cousins with the team down 35 in the fourth simply made it worse for me.

- The three highest graded players were Eric Fisher (+3.2), Tamba Hali (+3.2) and Geoff Schwartz (+3.1).

- The three lowest graded players were Robert Griffin III (-3.6), London Fletcher (-2.8) and Barry Cofield (-2.7).

- Have the Redskins given up on the year completely? For the first time this year Robert Griffin III didn’t have a single designed run.

- The difference in the teams was summed up in the tackling stats; Kansas City missed one, Washington 17.

- Jamaal Charles isn’t usually a big yards after contact type player (his average this season is 2.2) but in this game he managed a huge 5.1 breaking six tackles.

loochy
12-14-2013, 07:56 AM
You guys should really read Chiefsplanet. There's good information on it about Chiefs players. For example, there's a nice post on it about Eric Fisher's improvement as measured by Pro Football Focus.

But what do they know at PFF, right? It's a lot more fun to just to continue ripping the 1.1 draft pick.

OMG NO WAI

he had a good game against a team t hat had already given up for the season!

notorious
12-14-2013, 08:07 AM
I don't think that drafting a RT at 1.1 deserves a reward.

Lex Luthor
12-14-2013, 08:09 AM
OMG NO WAI

he had a good game against a team t hat had already given up for the season!

Thanks for proving my point. It IS more fun to bitch and complain than it is to acknowledge that sometimes it takes time for a rookie to learn how to play in the NFL.

Lex Luthor
12-14-2013, 08:10 AM
I don't think that drafting a RT at 1.1 deserves a reward.

Yep. Should have drafted Geno.

notorious
12-14-2013, 08:13 AM

Hell no.

If/when Fisher moves to LT and become an All-Pro, the pick will be rewarding.

Demonpenz
12-14-2013, 08:17 AM
There was a play last week (/gifhorse) on a screen pass at the goal line where Fisher looked athletic and got out and blocked leading to a touchdown. He can get out and pull and do some stuff on sweeps.

TheGuardian
12-14-2013, 08:18 AM
I love when some rookie on another team is struggling and this place makes all the excuses in the world for him, but when our own rookie is struggling it's just because he flat out sucks and is a bust.

Fucking idiots.

ILChief
12-14-2013, 08:18 AM
A positive article about fisher. Time for the Philip Rivers loving CP GM's to start complaining

threebag
12-14-2013, 08:21 AM

I'd draft a long snapper over Geno

milkman
12-14-2013, 08:27 AM

I am not questioning the improvement over the course of the season made by Fisher.
We've discussed that here.

The fictional portion of this article is the contention that this O-Line has improved because of continuity and gelling.

Too many games have been lost to injury for that to have any merit.

The line's improvement is the result Fisher's improvement, more aggressive playcalling in the passing game, and the addition of Shwartz starting in place of Asomoah.

notorious
12-14-2013, 08:30 AM
I am not questioning the improvement over the course of the season made by Fisher.

The fictional portion of this article is the contention that this O-Line has improved because of continuity and gelling.

The line's improvement is the result Fisher's improvement, more aggressive playcalling in the passing game, and the addition of Shwartz starting in place of Asomoah.

And the lack of quality defenses played.

Denver
San Diego
Denver
Washington

This list of defenses is a joke.

Lex Luthor
12-14-2013, 08:32 AM
I love when some rookie on another team is struggling and this place makes all the excuses in the world for him, but when our own rookie is struggling it's just because he flat out sucks and is a bust.

****ing idiots.

I'll never forget how the local talk radio ripped Neil Smith as a bust when he was a rookie. Late in the season one of Smith's biggest critics had an NFL scout for another team on his radio show. He asked the scout what he thought about Neil Smith. He was expecting to hear that Neil Smith was one of the biggest busts in NFL history, and you could tell he was ready to jump in with more criticism of the Chiefs front office for drafting such a loser.

Instead, the NFL scout said he thought Neil Smith was doing just fine for a rookie playing defensive end, because that position is extremely difficult to learn. You could hear hear the disappointment in the radio host's voice when he said "Really? You think so?".

IIRC the radio host was Ed "Superfan" Bieler. Those of us that have been around long enough to remember Neil Smith's struggles as a rookie aren't as quick to throw Fisher under the bus as the newbies are.

Lex Luthor
12-14-2013, 08:34 AM

That's a fair assessment.

TheGuardian
12-14-2013, 08:38 AM
I'll never forget how the local talk radio ripped Neil Smith as a bust when he was a rookie. Late in the season one of Smith's biggest critics had an NFL scout for another team on his radio show. He asked the scout what he thought about Neil Smith. He was expecting to hear that Neil Smith was one of the biggest busts in NFL history, and you could tell he was ready to jump in with more criticism of the Chiefs front office for drafting such a loser.

Instead, the NFL scout said he thought Neil Smith was doing just fine for a rookie playing defensive end, because that position is extremely difficult to learn. You could hear hear the disappointment in the radio host's voice when he said "Really? You think so?".

IIRC the radio host was Ed "Superfan" Bieler. Those of us that have been around long enough to remember Neil Smith's struggles as a rookie aren't as quick to throw Fisher under the bus as the newbies are.

I remember Neil talking about that. About how awful his rookie season was and how lost he was and how he heard everyone say he was a terrible draft pick and a total bust. That it fueled him to be better.

This board wants rookies to come in and play very well nevermind the fact that there is a bigger jump from college to the NFL than anywhere in all of sports. It's not like any other sport in that regard.

Rookies struggle every year. I'm not sure why so many on this board call guys busts because of poor rookie seasons. I'm really not.

Derrick Johnson took about 5 or 6 years to "get it". Now he's the best middle/inside backer we've had in ages. And he appears to just be in his prime. Sometimes it takes a guy a while to adjust.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
12-14-2013, 08:40 AM
ESPN has turned sourpuss Teicher optimistic. Demands theories...

Anywho, looks l ike we got our selves a swimmer!

J Diddy
12-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Who wrote this fiction?

It's Teicher. At least it's not his typical Mr. Obvious article.

"Today, at Arrowhead, it rained. It was wet."

ChiefRocka
12-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Geno choco penii crow tastes yummy when paired with Eric man beast crow.

Lex Luthor
12-14-2013, 08:43 AM
I remember Neil talking about that. About how awful his rookie season was and how lost he was and how he heard everyone say he was a terrible draft pick and a total bust. That it fueled him to be better.

This board wants rookies to come in and play very well nevermind the fact that there is a bigger jump from college to the NFL than anywhere in all of sports. It's not like any other sport in that regard.

Rookies struggle every year. I'm not sure why so many on this board call guys busts because of poor rookie seasons. I'm really not.

Derrick Johnson took about 5 or 6 years to "get it". Now he's the best middle/inside backer we've had in ages. And he appears to just be in his prime. Sometimes it takes a guy a while to adjust.
To be completely fair to the worshippers of the chocolate penii, it's really too soon to call Geno Smith a bust as well. But it's fun.

Dave Lane
12-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Who wrote this fiction?

Ahh gotta love me some Milkman early in the morning!

notorious
12-14-2013, 08:51 AM
To be completely fair to the worshippers of the chocolate penii, it's really too soon to call Geno Smith a bust as well. But it's fun.

His career will probably be a fart in the wind.

Deberg_1990
12-14-2013, 08:52 AM
We finally have our elite RT
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
12-14-2013, 08:54 AM
We finally have our elite RT
Posted via Mobile Device

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/truestfans.gif

Chieftain58
12-14-2013, 09:10 AM
He will be fine.. jeesh

MTG#10
12-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Still don't like the pick, but he's definitely improving.

Lex Luthor
12-14-2013, 09:53 AM

Those fans are cheering because the Chiefs DIDN'T draft the chocolate penii. It turns out that they are smarter than the Geno Smith ball washers.

Fairplay
12-14-2013, 10:07 AM
When is the award ceremony and is it a formal occasion or semi-casual?

Fairplay
12-14-2013, 10:10 AM

That's me with the beer gut in the white shirt high fiving my buddie.

We were getting into that day, Hell Yeah!

Eleazar
12-14-2013, 10:15 AM
The brain trust won't like that one.

Apparently the writer wasn't informed that Fisher is already a bust.

lcarus
12-14-2013, 10:22 AM
When Fisher eventually becomes a HOF left tackle, a looooooot of people are gonna look the fool.

Mosbonian
12-14-2013, 10:40 AM

It wasn't just Neil Smith that everyone pretty much gave up on, although he was the highest profile player to get that treatment. They did the same thing to Kevin Ross and Deron Cherry.....

-King-
12-14-2013, 11:00 AM

PFF also said Jamaal Charles wasnt a top 100 player last year.
Posted via Mobile Device

L.A. Chieffan
12-14-2013, 11:02 AM
He's already in the top five of RTs in the league.

BlackHelicopters
12-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Thought we got rid of Teicher when he left the KCStar.

Imon Yourside
12-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Truth be told he has deserved every bit of criticism leveled at him, I'm not sure if he's getting better or the competition sucks.

Lex Luthor
12-14-2013, 11:11 AM
PFF also said Jamaal Charles wasnt a top 100 player last year.
Posted via Mobile Device

There does seem to be an inconsistency there, since PFF also lists Jamaal Charles as the #2 running back in the NFL over the last 5 years.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/07/12/five-years-of-pff-grades-top-10-running-backs/

RealSNR
12-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Eric Fisher sucks.

philfree
12-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Thought we got rid of Teicher when he left the KCStar.

He has a new article up on ESPN.com every day.

Just Passin' By
12-14-2013, 12:43 PM

PFF is a steaming pile of dogshit. They probably know less about football than your average Congolese pygmy.

Pablo
12-14-2013, 12:45 PM
We've been rewarded with one good game a midst a season of injuries and failure from Fisher.

Let the blessings rain down Chiefs fans!

Rausch
12-14-2013, 12:51 PM
"Right now it's just a comfort level with him with him on the right side," offensive coordinator Doug Pederson said. "With his progression and his growth, it's best just to keep him where he's at."

From the horse's mouth...

tk13
12-14-2013, 12:52 PM
We haven't played good defenses but Fisher has played some good DE's. He shut down Von Miller. I'm very pleased with his progress... he looks worlds better than the first few weeks of the season. You can see the potential to be a really good LT. He's a big guy that's very athletic in space. We'll see how he does against Mathis in a couple weeks, that'll be a tough matchup for him.

Rausch
12-14-2013, 12:55 PM
You can see the potential to be a really good LT.

He's never played LT...

tk13
12-14-2013, 12:57 PM
He's never played LT...

I think he will. Probably not this year, but soon.

Rausch
12-14-2013, 12:58 PM
I think he will. Probably not this year, but soon.

He's starting to look solid on the right side.

I think it'd be smart to leave him there...

ThaVirus
12-14-2013, 01:00 PM
We haven't played good defenses but Fisher has played some good DE's. He shut down Von Miller. I'm very pleased with his progress... he looks worlds better than the first few weeks of the season. You can see the potential to be a really good LT. He's a big guy that's very athletic in space. We'll see how he does against Mathis in a couple weeks, that'll be a tough matchup for him.

He did lock that steroid using thug down. Even in his limited time in the second game, I do to remember Von being a factor.

TripleThreat
12-14-2013, 01:01 PM

****ing idiots.

Good point actually. They prolly just get upset with our rooks because it effects us and we want progress now, on other teams you can just look at the rookies and make the excuse because you won't care either way cause its not your team haha

ILChief
12-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Dontari Poe is a worthless small school bust /CP circa December 2012

Rausch
12-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Dontari Poe is a worthless small school bust /CP circa December 2012

I'm guilty of that.

That was me.

chiefzilla1501
12-14-2013, 01:58 PM

Denver
San Diego
Denver
Washington

Washington and Denver have terrific DEs.

chiefzilla1501
12-14-2013, 02:04 PM
It's pretty convenient that people point to strength of schedule when talking about Fisher's recent games, but COMPLETELY poo pooed the idea that in the past 2 months, he has squared off pretty consistently against some of the best d-lines in the game. As if JJ Watt, the Browns line, and Von Miller are getting shut down consistently

TEX
12-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Just no accountability here for being total retards...

Lex Luthor
12-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Good point actually. They prolly just get upset with our rooks because it effects us and we want progress now, on other teams you can just look at the rookies and make the excuse because you won't care either way cause its not your team haha
You haven't been around long enough to know the real reason.

The real reason they make excuses is because several posters on this site fell head over heels in love with Geno Smith. And when I say head over heels in love, I mean that in the literally true sense, as they bombarded this site with senseless posts about the chocolate penii coming to town. It was downright creepy.

They were furious when the Chiefs didn't draft him, and they desperately want to be proven right about Geno Smith so that they can continue to bitch and moan. THAT'S why they make excuse after excuse for Geno's Tebow-like performances.

Easy 6
12-14-2013, 03:08 PM

Denver
San Diego
Denver
Washington

I'd have to disagree about the bolts defense, they may be a bit hit and miss, but are underrated overall imo... they went into denver and beat them, something we couldn't do.

They have some real talent in the front seven, its the secondary that needs an overhaul.

notorious
12-14-2013, 03:09 PM
I am not a "Geno lover".

I am a "Don't take a RT at #1" person.

I am also optimistic that Fisher becomes a Pro Bowler when moved to LT after Mr. "False Start" walks.

chiefzilla1501
12-14-2013, 04:09 PM
I am not a "Geno lover".

I am a "Don't take a RT at #1" person.

I am also optimistic that Fisher becomes a Pro Bowler when moved to LT after Mr. "False Start" walks.

I am with you on this. I just don't understand the people on here who honest to god have been rooting for him to fail and have been on his nuts with ridiculous expectations. He's our pick. The pick is in. Let's root for the guy instead of treating him like the enemy.

Bl00dyBizkitz
12-14-2013, 04:12 PM
So taking a RT at #2 is okay? :rolleyes:

mschiefs1984
12-14-2013, 04:13 PM
I am with you on this. I just don't understand the people on here who honest to god have been rooting for him to fail and have been on his nuts with ridiculous expectations. He's our pick. The pick is in. Let's root for the guy instead of treating him like the enemy.

THIS

Anyone who can't see the improvement of Fisher is just looking for him to fail. He's a rookie of course he's going to have a learning curve. He has gotten better. Still needs to do a LOT of work but he has been getting better which is a good sign

Pitt Gorilla
12-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Anyone calling him a bust doesn't understand football. At all. It has been noted since the beginning of the season that he would struggle, but he'd also continue to improve. There is nothing at all surprising about his developmental trajectory.

Deberg_1990
12-14-2013, 04:26 PM
So taking a RT at #2 is okay? :rolleyes:

This has been discussed ad nausem......but whch one of these guys would you have taken?

This might be the weakest top 10 or overall 1st round in 20 years.

Eric Fisher
Luke Joeckel
Dion Jordan
Lane Johnson
Ezekiel Ansah
Barkevious Mingo
Jonathan Cooper
Tavon Austin
Dee Milliner
Chance Warmack

HonestChieffan
12-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Hof material. Doubters eat it.

TribalElder
12-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Oh yeah

We played Washington

We are so awesome.

Suck it

I don't doubt next year will be much different but that was Washington ROFL

He is getting better though right...

Easy 6
12-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Oh yeah

We played Washington

We are so awesome.

Suck it

I don't doubt next year will be much different but that was Washington ROFL

He is getting better though right...

Eh, guys like Orakpo, Von Miller and Watt are no jokes... he did yeoman work on all of them.

He's atleast got a chance to be a good one imo.

TheGuardian
12-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Fisher held his own against Watt for the most part. He certainly didn't embarrass himself against a DPOY. As a rookie.

He was fine against Von Douche.

He's had ups and down. Wow. A rook with ups and downs.

Jesus fucking christ.

I remember last year how so many shit on Poe and now he looks like potentially the best defensive tackle in football. And SO MANY said it was a shit pick and said that he was nothing but a workout warrior.

Dumbasses.

Eleazar
12-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Anyone calling him a bust doesn't understand football. At all. It has been noted since the beginning of the season that he would struggle, but he'd also continue to improve. There is nothing at all surprising about his developmental trajectory.

Yep.

HonestChieffan
12-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Lots of dumbass in this thread.