PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs DJ: Best in the Business ?

Anyong Bluth
12-14-2013, 10:13 PM
I'd say that's an affirmative.

The guy has been as consistent as anyone else in football and played like an elite All-Pro since getting benched and really dedicating himself to his craft!

Is the Chiefs' Derrick Johnson the Best Inside Linebacker in Football?

Christopher Hansen
Dec. 14, 2013

■ http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/15/yjehu9uj.jpg

Ray Lewis was once considered the best middle linebacker in football, but he passed the torch to San Francisco 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis years ago. While Willis is still dominant, Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson may actually be the better linebacker this year.

While pass-rushers Tamba Hali and Justin Houston and safety Eric Berry have been given a ton of credit for the team’s suffocating defense, Johnson has wallowed in relative obscurity despite the fact that he is having a great year.

The middle linebacker is widely considered the quarterback of the defense. If the quarterback gets the majority of the credit for the offensive output, Johnson deserves the credit for the Chiefs’ defensive performance so far this season.

The Statistics

Johnson should be able to record his 100th tackle this weekend in Oakland, but 16 inside or middle linebackers have recorded more through 13 weeks. He has added 3.5 sacks, one interception and two fumble recoveries.

POLL:
Who is the best inside/middle linebacker in the NFL?

Derrick Johnson 66.3%
Patrick Willis 22.4%
Other 11.3%

Total votes: 218,162

The traditional stats for linebackers that don’t rush the quarterback are obviously a bit limited. Tackle stats are highly inaccurate, and it’s hard to get a feel for just how good a linebacker is in coverage if he isn't getting a ton of interceptions.

According to Pro Football Focus (subscription required), Johnson is the best inside linebacker in the league right now with a grade of 15.0. His work in coverage is particularly notable, as his 10.8 coverage grade makes up most of his overall total.

The other important factor is consistency. Some linebackers can flash great ability at times, but Johnson hasn’t had many bad weeks this season. In fact, Pro Football Focus has graded him negatively in just one game this season.

Johnson might only have 3.5 sacks, but he is a very effective blitzer. He has put more pressure on the opposing quarterback than just about any inside linebacker in the game. Johnson can cover, he can blitz and he can stuff the run.

The Film

Apart from the Chiefs' special teams, Johnson was a key reason the team stomped Washington last weekend. With Kansas City already up 10-0, he intercepted a slant route that set up yet another Chiefs touchdown. Johnson has been making plays like this all season; he just doesn’t have all the flashy stats to back it up.

■ http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2013/12/14/DJINT2.gif

Johnson read Robert Griffin III on the interception. He trusted his eyes and quickly committed to undercutting the pass. If he hesitated at all, there was potential for a big play against the Chiefs because there was only a single safety deep and the cornerback was playing with outside leverage.

■ http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2013/12/14/DJRun2.gif

Against the run, Johnson is also one of the best. As with any good run defender, he can get off blocks. Take this play against Washington on a stretch play to the left.

Johnson quickly evades a big blocker and seems to know intuitively where the ball is going to be. More often than not, he is the first to arrive. It was exceptional run defense by the Chiefs and a great job by Johnson to slip the block and still impact the play.

Johnson has also proved to be effective rushing the quarterback. In Week 6, he sacked Oakland Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor twice. One of those sacks came on a beautifully timed blitz.

■ http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2013/12/14/DJBlitz1.gif

With safety Eric Berry trying to cut inside of running back Darren McFadden, Johnson was able to sift through traffic to get a sack. Johnson’s execution was superb, and it was also a brilliant play call because Pryor is known to drift and run to his right.

Johnson’s ability to do it all is almost unparalleled in the NFL today at the linebacker position, and his versatility has served the Chiefs well. At this point, there’s not much Johnson can’t do on a football field

penbrook
12-14-2013, 10:15 PM
ProFootballFocus rates him as the #1 ILB in the NFL

Ace Gunner
12-14-2013, 10:32 PM
no doubt -- best in the biz when he's on his game. consistency has always been the factor. he's probably top 3 or something this year. he's been good.

TribalElder
12-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Because he is humble and not a d bag like Ray Lewis he lacks media exposure which really sucks

DJ is the shit

I was disturbed hearing the nfl guys giving him props dj Johnson
:facepalm:

Coach
12-14-2013, 10:52 PM
It's amazing how far he has came from his rookie year. He was struggling a lot, until he finally got it going somehow.

TheGuardian
12-14-2013, 10:55 PM
DJ is probably the best in the NFL now. He really doesn't look anything like the inconsistent player he was a few years ago. Also, his physique is even different. When we first drafted him DJ always looked soft and out of shape to me. Now he's very chiseled. This may not mean much to some, but to me it tells me he's spending a lot of time in the offseason working hard, and I think that's a big part of his change overall.

I'm glad that Haley benched him and made him hungry again. Ever since that Denver game where he had two pick 6's he's really turned it on and never stopped getting better.

penbrook
12-14-2013, 10:58 PM
It's amazing how far he has came from his rookie year. He was struggling a lot, until he finally got it going somehow.

DJ and Bowe contributed some of there success to Haley. He would never be soft with them and always would be honest with themu

Tribal Warfare
12-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Because he is humble and not a d bag like Ray Lewis he lacks media exposure which really sucks

DJ is the shit

I was disturbed hearing the nfl guys giving him props dj Johnson
:facepalm:

He wasn't for 6 years until he was benched and got his shit together

Demonpenz
12-14-2013, 11:05 PM
DJ choppin people down.

Gonzo
12-14-2013, 11:18 PM
I'd be gay for DJ. Just once though.

Ok, maybe twice.

penbrook
12-14-2013, 11:25 PM
And DJ is the oldest player on the team at 31. How many more years do you think he has left?

TEX
12-14-2013, 11:29 PM

Tends to happen when a talented player stops thinking and lets the game come to him.

Psyko Tek
12-14-2013, 11:52 PM
And DJ is the oldest player on the team at 31. How many more years do you think he has left?

3 maybe 4
5 tops
but right now he is the best at what he does

cdcox
12-15-2013, 12:19 AM
I love that he's still not taking on blocks. I think that criticism was BS. If you can avoid blocks to quickly get to the guy with the ball, that seems like a pretty good thing.

CoMoChief
12-15-2013, 04:51 AM
We're pretty fucking lucky to have 3 out of our 4 LB's as All-pro type players.

Demonpenz
12-15-2013, 10:54 AM
low man always wins..or Dj always wins

58-4ever
12-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Thread starter should post more.

Easy 6
12-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Cool post, i love it when people use gifs to illustrate a point.

DJ is the very definition of late bloomer, but it was sure worth the wait.