PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Would you have brought Jamaal back in for a short TD?

Rain Man
12-15-2013, 10:44 PM
If one of our late drives had ended up with a first down inside the five, would you (in Andy Reid's role) have let Jamaal come back in to score Touchdown #6 to tie the all-time NFL record with Ernie Nevers, Dub Jones, and Gale Sayers?

It's first down. You have 40 seconds to make the call and vote on the poll.

On a related note, we need a Jamaal Charles prefix for threads.

Marcellus
12-15-2013, 10:45 PM
yes.

Nightfyre
12-15-2013, 10:45 PM
On a related note, we need a Jamaal Charles prefix for threads.

Awesome idea.

KCrockaholic
12-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Yes but I also wanted to keep Jamaal in Vs Denver to get the rushing record too. All the escalades.

Hammock Parties
Yes.

It's stupid that he wasn't given a shot at Gale's record.

Maybe there's some stupid gentleman's code of honor in the league or something. Like no one wants to break that.

tredadda
No. Not worth the injury risk.

Reerun_KC
12-15-2013, 10:48 PM
I like mt dew and pixie sticks.

pr_capone
12-15-2013, 10:48 PM
To TIE the record? No.

If he had 6 and we were in a position to give him #7 to take sole ownership... yes.

The Franchise
12-15-2013, 10:49 PM
To TIE the record? No.

If he had 6 and we were in a position to give him #7 to take sole ownership... yes.

This.

Easy 6
12-15-2013, 10:50 PM
No, don't tempt the injury fates.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 10:52 PM
No, nobody remembers such records, they remember winners. We need Charles healthy if we want any chance to win anything.

Chiefaholic
12-15-2013, 10:54 PM
No... If he goes in for a TD that has no outcome on the win/loss column, then they risk a fluke injury. Jamal IS our offense and the postseason is just three short weeks away.

ClevelandBronco
12-15-2013, 10:55 PM
In a heartbeat, if I knew that it was for the record.

BossChief
12-15-2013, 10:55 PM
No. That wouldn't be fair to the men that did the work and he is easily the most important aspect of our offense/team right now. His talent is irreplaceable.

If the score was to help us win the game, sure.

To tie a record? Nah.

Rain Man
12-15-2013, 10:56 PM
No, nobody remembers such records, they remember winners. We need Charles healthy if we want any chance to win anything.

I remember them. And the NFL Network shows the Gale Sayers game all the time. For Jamaal's legacy, six TDs is a big deal, in my humble opinion.

Rasputin
12-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Derrick Thomas had 6 sacks against the Oaktarts in the 3rd quarter but they took him out. He could have had 8 to 10 sacks that day. I wish they let him break his own record for sacks.

Chiefaholic
12-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Derrick Thomas had 6 sacks against the Oaktarts in the 3rd quarter but they took him out. He could have had 8 to 10 sacks that day. I wish they let him break his own record for sacks.

I was there that day. Lower level, Chiefs side, around the 15 yard line. We were near the same endzone that DT called a safety on Jeff George. Our defense was relentless that day and the crowd was extremely loud.

Rain Man
12-15-2013, 11:10 PM

And no one will really remember it but Chiefs fans. If he had made eight sacks, it would get replayed on NFL Network until the sun explodes.

I view this type of situation as being similar to sitting guys after you've clinched home field. Not letting him play is smart from an injury perspective, but at the same time there's a big morale boost when a guy puts his name in the record books. I'd have a hard time keeping him out on 1st and goal at the 3.

KC_Connection
12-15-2013, 11:37 PM
I remember them. And the NFL Network shows the Gale Sayers game all the time. For Jamaal's legacy, six TDs is a big deal, in my humble opinion.
That explains it, I don't watch NFL Network.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2013, 11:41 PM
The stupid thing is that the Gale Sayers record was in a blowout win. He set it in the 4th.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196512120chi.htm

Should have just left the stud out there and let him keep fucking the mare that was the Oakland Raiders.

Rain Man
12-15-2013, 11:44 PM
That explains it, I don't watch NFL Network.

I highly recommend it. It's the best marketing initiative the NFL has ever had. Even better than rigging games.

Rain Man
12-15-2013, 11:45 PM
The stupid thing is that the Gale Sayers record was in a blowout win. He set it in the 4th.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196512120chi.htm

Should have just left the stud out there and let him keep ****ing the mare that was the Oakland Raiders.

I wonder why Jon Arnett got the two-yard touchdown at the end.

laughsatyou907
12-15-2013, 11:56 PM
The fans and the players want to break records, the front offices don't. They want to keep quality players around as cheaply as possible, which makes things difficult when it's time to renew contracts.

Rain Man
12-16-2013, 12:04 AM
The fans and the players want to break records, the front offices don't. They want to keep quality players around as cheaply as possible, which makes things difficult when it's time to renew contracts.

That's a great point. Brutal, soul-killing, and heartbreaking, but great.

ClevelandBronco
12-16-2013, 12:28 AM

Not acceptable. According to the terms of the OP, I'm Andy Reid and I have 40 seconds. I'm not the GM who's playing out possible contract negotiation scenarios in my head for the 2016 season and beyond.

Portlantis
12-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Hell no.

By that point, the game was well in hand. JC shouldn't have been anywhere near the field.

So imagine we give the ball to Charles in order to tie the record, and he tears an ACL. Our chances of doing anything significant in the playoffs have now gone from slim to fucked.

Running backs in the NFL play on borrowed time as it is. There is absolutely no reason to put our only elite offensive player at risk in a situation that won't affect the outcome of the game.

Bl00dyBizkitz
12-16-2013, 12:32 AM
I almost forgot we were playing the Raiders today.

Can you imagine what they would try to do if we let Jamaal back on the field? Fucking Raiders...

Earthling
12-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Hell no.

By that point, the game was well in hand. JC shouldn't have been anywhere near the field.

So imagine we give the ball to Charles in order to tie the record, and he tears an ACL. Our chances of doing anything significant in the playoffs have now gone from slim to ****ed.

Running backs in the NFL play on borrowed time as it is. There is absolutely no reason to put our only elite offensive player at risk in a situation that won't affect the outcome of the game.

My thought as well.

ClevelandBronco
12-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Wow. You guys are right. Better keep him on the bench until January. It only takes one play.

Mojo Jojo
12-16-2013, 12:52 AM

Most players aren't that big on setting records in cheap ways, and the players who see it as a big deal are guys you don't want on your team.

Earthling
12-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Wow. You guys are right. Better keep him on the bench until January. It only takes one play.

Well yeah, a Donko fan would want JC in there every play just for the off-chance of an injury. ;)

ClevelandBronco
12-16-2013, 12:55 AM
Well yeah, a Donko fan would want JC in there every play just for the off-chance of an injury. ;)

Hell, yeah. I think he ought to be going for the sack record as well.

Earthling
12-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Hell, yeah. I think he ought to be going for the sack record as well.

LMAOLMAO :p

Sorter
12-16-2013, 04:12 AM
Yes.

BlackHelicopters
12-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Cherry starburst are the best.

DaFace
12-16-2013, 08:22 AM
While it would've been cool, it's pretty clear that Andy has instilled a team first attitude. Because of that, he'd never do it.

Buehler445
12-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Yes but I fully acknowledge it is a bad idea.

El Jefe
12-16-2013, 08:42 AM
To TIE the record? No.

Exactly, also the game was in hand, no point in risking injury to our best player.

TEX
12-16-2013, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't have brought Jamaal back in if it was my intent going in to rest him when the game was out of hand. I don't believe in doing things outside of the flow of the game. If it happens as part of my game-plan then yeah, but if I made the decision to rest a guy - then I'd stick to it.

hometeam
12-16-2013, 06:45 PM
I would have. Jamaal already sat down once when he had every chance to break the single game rushing record under Haley. Let the guy make history.

Halfcan
12-16-2013, 07:22 PM
No. Not worth the injury risk.

:thumb:

Sofa King
12-16-2013, 07:23 PM
To TIE the record? No.

This

RippedmyFlesh
12-16-2013, 07:26 PM

This
Anyone saying yes is foolish. You risk getting him hurt for that? He was out of the game at the point.

lcarus
12-16-2013, 07:27 PM
I understand both arguments. But I think Jamaal probably really wanted it, even though he's a humble team player, so he wouldn't say anything about it. I voted yes though.

Prison Bitch
12-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Absolutely not. Karma is bad in this league. Remember, the Faid beat us like 7 of the prior 8 games or something. It can swing back in a hurry.

penbrook
12-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Per ArrowheadPride

"I was ready to go back in the game," Jamaal said after the game. "If we would have broke one, Knile [Davis] was going to knee at the 1-yard line and they were going to let me go in."

"It didn't happen though," Jamaal continued. "Everything happens for a reason."

lcarus
12-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Absolutely not. Karma is bad in this league. Remember, the Faid beat us like 7 of the prior 8 games or something. It can swing back in a hurry.

Do you really believe in karma?

ThaVirus
12-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Per ArrowheadPride

"I was ready to go back in the game," Jamaal said after the game. "If we would have broke one, Knile [Davis] was going to knee at the 1-yard line and they were going to let me go in."

Heh.

That's pretty cool.

Lex Luthor
12-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Per ArrowheadPride

Heh.

That's pretty cool.

Cool? Are you ****ing serious? It's not cool at all.

Bullshit like that makes records meaningless. If Charles stays in the game and scores another touchdown, that's awesome. If he's out of the game but comes in to score a short yardage touchdown because he's the best they've got at the goal line and they need a touchdown, that's awesome too.

But for another player to lay down so that Charles or anyone else can get an easy shot at a record is a travesty. It's bullshit. If it were up to me I'd throw a penalty flag for unsportsmanlike conduct when the touchdown was scored, and I'd eject Charles and Davis from the game.

It's like when Bret Favre laid down so that Michael Strahan could get an easy sack to break the sack record. That was bogus, it was bullshit, and it made me a Bret Favre hater before it was fashionable to hate him.

penbrook
12-16-2013, 07:54 PM

Bullshit like that makes records meaningless. If Charles stays in the game and scores another touchdown, that's awesome. If he's out of the game but comes in to score a short yardage touchdown because he's the best they've got at the goal line and they need a touchdown, that's awesome too.

But for another player to lay down so that Charles or anyone else can get an easy shot at a record is a travesty. It's bullshit. If it were up to me I'd throw a penalty flag for unsportsmanlike conduct when the touchdown was scored, and I'd eject Charles and Davis from the game.

It's like when Bret Favre laid down so that Michael Strahan could get an easy sack to break the sack record. That was bogus, it was bullshit, and it made me a Bret Favre hater before it was fashionable to hate him.

This might explain it a little better

Per Jamaal Charles

"After I tore my ACL, I just came up with a thing, every time I touch the ball, I'm going to wipe the haters off me. People said I would never come back from his ACL, he won't be the same. I make sure I wipe it off for those who doubted me, and I try to wipe down my ACL to let them know you got the haters out there. That's a thing I came up with but I hope I can keep wiping it down."

Garcia Bronco
12-16-2013, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't. I'd always protect my players. Especially a runningback that is a key piece of my team late in the season.

ThaVirus
12-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Per ArrowheadPride

Man, that's awesome.

Prison Bitch
12-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Do you really believe in karma?

Well, maybe that's not the best word. I believe people in this league have long memories though.

hometeam
12-16-2013, 08:53 PM

Jamaal Charles disagrees. He wants his escalades.

ClevelandBronco
12-16-2013, 11:29 PM

BigRock
12-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Per ArrowheadPride

They must not have decided that until late in the game, because Davis did break one and didn't kneel down. They also scored an earlier TD while I think Charles was still in the game. They passed on first and goal and McGrath caught it at the two. He didn't kneel either.

Nickel D
12-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Jamaal Charles prefix nomination: JFC!

Ace Gunner
12-17-2013, 10:37 AM
If I had a good run blocking OL -- I mean one that would all but guarantee Jamaal walks in behind a guard untouched and with little effort, then I would do it.

I'm glad they put up 56. to me, that's most important.

I bet Reid is looking at Jamaal in a different light now. Jamaal has just about the most explosive cuts I have ever seen from a football player. when he caught the wheel route pass during the first TD and made the cut inside to the field, it was over for the DB's nearby.