PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Fun Small Hatchbacks w/ Good MPG

Pages : [1] 2

Buck
12-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Edit: I got a 2014 Focus ST1 (aka the base version).

penguinz
12-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Get a Prius.

MahiMike
12-26-2013, 02:00 PM
GTI

Psyko Tek
get a motorcycle

BWillie
My truck has been awesome, but I'm dumping about $200-250 into it in gas a month.

So I'm gonna look at some smaller cars w/ good mpg. I'm gonna go test out a Fiat 500 Abarth after work, any other suggestions? Cars I should stay away from?

Thanks

Prius, clearly. They still get better gas mileage than most other hatchbacks as far as I know

pr_capone
12-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Focus ST / Mazda 3

Donger
12-26-2013, 02:03 PM
VW Golf or GTI. I think the GTI still requires premium fuel, however.

Rain Man
12-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Those little Fiats are cool looking. I think they've got a great place in the market for the younger generation that appears to be less into dumping money into cars.

hometeam
12-26-2013, 02:16 PM
You can buy a Focus ST or Fiesta ST from me. Will ship~

Deberg_1990
12-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Nissan leaf

MahiMike
12-26-2013, 02:19 PM
VW Golf or GTI. I think the GTI still requires premium fuel, however.

I use premium every 4 tanks. Doesn't really have to. Such a fun car.

TLO
12-26-2013, 02:20 PM
Subaru Impreza WRX or STI - hatchback version.

You're welcome.

pr_capone
12-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Subaru Impreza WRX or STI - hatchback version.

You're welcome.

I drive the WRX and adore it... but it doesn't exactly inspire the type of driving that leads to paying less for gasoline.

Garcia Bronco
12-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Nissan leaf

5-10 years min on plugging it into a public school

Fish
12-26-2013, 02:36 PM
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9259/4nca.gif

Dayze
12-26-2013, 02:43 PM
GTI

that.

Dayze
12-26-2013, 02:44 PM
I have a regular Rabbit 5/speed. Love that car. Fun to drive. decent MPG (not in the 30's; more around 23-25).

can haul a surprisingly large amount of stuff. We went camping with it and everything fit shockingly.

TribalElder
12-26-2013, 02:47 PM
I thought you like plasti-dipped the truck and it was all kinds of kick ass

what makes you want to go from man to KC offensive lineman purse status?

I understand the gas thing but where is that thread about how kickass the truck is?

ROFL

and yes, subaru for the win

Donger
12-26-2013, 02:48 PM
I use premium every 4 tanks. Doesn't really have to. Such a fun car.

To get the maximum horsepower out of it, the higher octane gasoline is required. It will run on lower octane, of course, but the ECU retards the timing.

Rain Man
12-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Now that I think about it, why do you need a hatchback? What are you hauling in the hatch part?

BWillie
12-26-2013, 02:53 PM
To get the maximum horsepower out of it, the higher octane gasoline is required. It will run on lower octane, of course, but the ECU retards the timing.

I have a 5series BMW, says it's supposed to take premium. I never put premium in it. I was told by somebody in the autoworld this would not cause harm on my engine. Is this not the case? I could care less about horsepower or how fast it gets to 0 to 60 mph. As long as the car can get to 80 mph and I pay less for gas, that is all I care about.

Bwana
12-26-2013, 02:53 PM
:shake:

I may be the last person on the face of the earth driving a 3/4 truck before it's said and done.

hometeam
12-26-2013, 02:55 PM
People suggesting Subarus have never driven one, or have forgotten.

They get shit fuel mileage.

Dayze
12-26-2013, 03:00 PM
I have a 5series BMW, says it's supposed to take premium. I never put premium in it. I was told by somebody in the autoworld this would not cause harm on my engine. Is this not the case? I could care less about horsepower or how fast it gets to 0 to 60 mph. As long as the car can get to 80 mph and I pay less for gas, that is all I care about.

the only thing octane does is the higher the rating is the greater reduction of premature detonation in the cyclinder; primarily on high compression engines.

I've owned 2 sportbikes, and 3 cars that all said it 'needed' high octane (91 or higher). I never once ran it in any of them. I trust my brother who told me not to bother, seeing how he had a 11 second street car/supercharged V8 and is a major car geek and does every single aspect of work on them.

Donger
12-26-2013, 03:02 PM

I may be the last person on the face of the earth driving a 3/4 truck before it's said and done.

What happened to the other quarter of it?

Donger
12-26-2013, 03:03 PM

No, it won't hurt your engine at all.

Buck
12-26-2013, 03:05 PM
I thought you like plasti-dipped the truck and it was all kinds of kick ass

what makes you want to go from man to KC offensive lineman purse status?

I understand the gas thing but where is that thread about how kickass the truck is?

ROFL

and yes, subaru for the win

Gas money pure and simple. I should have said compact/subcompact instead of hatchback, but everything I've been looking at is a hatchback. I want to have fun while driving and so far the Abarth at 30 mpg looks like my #1 option. The GTI at 25 mpg is a little low for my liking, but still an improvement over 15 mpg.

Keep in mind gas is like 40 cents higher a gallon in CA than anywhere else right off the bat. It adds up.

Dayze
12-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Gas money pure and simple. I should have said compact/subcompact instead of hatchback, but everything I've been looking at is a hatchback. I want to have fun while driving and so far the Abarth at 30 mpg looks like my #1 option. The GTI at 25 mpg is a little low for my liking, but still an improvement over 15 mpg.

Keep in mind gas is like 40 cents higher a gallon in CA than anywhere else right off the bat. It adds up.

Ford Focus has great MPG I 'think'.
and are affordable.

hometeam
12-26-2013, 03:08 PM
and are affordable.

They are.

The subcompact version is the new Fiesta, and they are great little cars as well.

40 mpg.

Donger
12-26-2013, 03:10 PM

Fiat recommends the use of premium fuel, too.

TLO
12-26-2013, 03:10 PM
People suggesting Subarus have never driven one, or have forgotten.

They get shit fuel mileage.

False.

I have an economy map/ tune I created and then programed on my accessport and get 34mpg on the highway. I get around 27 if I'm driving on a regular tune. Keep the car out of boost and drive like you want to get good mpg in a Subaru and you will.

Buck
12-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Fiat recommends the use of premium fuel, too.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/27/abe8uzuj.jpg

Bwana
12-26-2013, 03:14 PM
What happened to the other quarter of it?

They put the extra weight into the V-10 engine.

Buehler445
12-26-2013, 03:16 PM

Wrong. My DD is a 1/2 ton, but I'm not pulling around any fertilizer with anything less than 3/4.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm younger than you, so I will be the last one... :D

Donger
12-26-2013, 03:17 PM

Yep.

GloryDayz
12-26-2013, 03:19 PM
and are affordable.

I'm always wondering if I could break even with the saved fuel in my paid-off 2002 Silverado and a buying a Focus. And that wouldn't be the end of it. But I've rented lots of them and I really think they're kind of awesome (for what they are). But yeah, the truck is thirsty, but paid-off.... Ugh!

Bwana
12-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Wrong. My DD is a 1/2 ton, but I'm not pulling around any fertilizer with anything less than 3/4.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm younger than you, so I will be the last one... :D

Good for you! :thumb:

Buck
12-26-2013, 03:21 PM

I know. Don't get me wrong. My top choice in vehicle is a big ass truck, which I will own someday, but as it goes now, the Tacoma is killing me. Sometimes I can't eat because I need gas.

TribalElder
12-26-2013, 03:22 PM

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Subaru2014.shtml

they have some that get between 20-30 mpg combined

I believe this is my first encounter with someone who actually is seriously considering purchasing a fiat :)

unless you are just trolling.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/24/24e48d5ca61acb4b5bd39413110d899e2067901ba27c03df5643662dd34f889a.jpg

TLO
12-26-2013, 03:22 PM
No, it won't hurt your engine at all.

Premium helps prevent the knocking and pinging you hear when fuel ignites as it's compressed in an engine cylinder before the spark plug fires. Knocking and pinging can damage your engine. Left unattended, it can burn a hole through a piston head.

Octane ratings can be increased using additives including methyl tertiary-butyl ether, ethyl-tertiary butyl ether and toluene. Until the 1970s, tetra-ethyl lead —as in "leaded gas" — was used to boost octane ratings. Leaded gas today is a pariah fuel in most developed nations because of its links to the damaging lead levels it has contributed to human bloodstreams.

Engines with a high compression ratio — typically sport and luxury models —are more prone to knocking, which is why manufacturers of those vehicles recommend or require you use high-octane gas.

Taking car advice from Donger might not be the best idea. :shrug:

hometeam
12-26-2013, 03:23 PM
False.

I have an economy map/ tune I created and then programed on my accessport and get 34mpg on the highway. I get around 27 if I'm driving on a regular tune. Keep the car out of boost and drive like you want to get good mpg in a Subaru and you will.

Oh we get to change tunes now? This guy is gonna buy a Subi and an accessport, plus have someone do a custom tune so he can get somewhat close to what cheaper subcompacts are doing stock?

Plus, who the fuck stays out of boost in a WRX?

Easy 6
12-26-2013, 03:23 PM
You can buy a Focus ST or Fiesta ST from me. Will ship~

LMAO a real salesman is NEVER off duty.

Those are fine choices, a brand new base fiesta can be had for $17,5-18 and pull 40mpg.

hometeam
12-26-2013, 03:26 PM
LMAO a real salesman is NEVER off duty.

Those are fine choices, a brand new base fiesta can be had for $17,5-18 and pull 40mpg.

Yup and with a stick its fun to drive. I've said it before and will say it again, when my IT guy comes knocking on my door one day saying 'WTF IS CHIEFSPLANET'

I'm going to try and convince him its time spent drumming up prospects.

Now if only I had a CP sale to show for it~

Bwana
12-26-2013, 03:27 PM
I know. Don't get me wrong. My top choice in vehicle is a big ass truck, which I will own someday, but as it goes now, the Tacoma is killing me. Sometimes I can't eat because I need gas.

Yeah I guess if it came down to eating or drivng a truck a guy would have to eat. I'll tell you this, I think I would be down to skin and bones before I gave it up though. I would have one hell of a time pulling my toy trailer with a roo.

hometeam
12-26-2013, 03:30 PM
As far as octane goes, putting 87 octane in a so called 'premium only' vehicle will not hurt it, but could affect your MPG. The ECU will compensate "IF" it detects knock or ping and will cut back the timing some, which could have a slight effect on MPG. Any time its doing, this you are probably running the piss out of it anyway in order to even create a situation where your ECU would have to pull timing to compensate for knock.

In most cases, you will never see a problem.

Conversely, putting a higher octane gas in your 87 octane tuned car wont do a damn thing for you except waste money.

TLO
12-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Oh we get to change tunes now? This guy is gonna buy a Subi and an accessport, plus have someone do a custom tune so he can get somewhat close to what cheaper subcompacts are doing stock?

Plus, who the **** stays out of boost in a WRX?

Yeah, because buying my accessport and doing the tune myself cost me around $300. Really broke the bank on that one.

I stay out of boost when I drive on the interstate. And when I do, I get 34mpg. Not bad for a car that's AWD, and has over 300 hp.

05 STI.

TLO
12-26-2013, 03:35 PM
As far as octane goes, putting 87 octane in a so called 'premium only' vehicle will not hurt it, but could affect your MPG. The ECU will compensate "IF" it detects knock or ping and will cut back the timing some, which could have a slight effect on MPG. Any time its doing, this you are probably running the piss out of it anyway in order to even create a situation where your ECU would have to pull timing to compensate for knock.

In most cases, you will never see a problem.

Conversely, putting a higher octane gas in your 87 octane tuned car wont do a damn thing for you except waste money.

Yeah. Don't worry about burning a hole through your piston head or anything. :shake:

Easy 6
12-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Yup and with a stick its fun to drive. I've said it before and will say it again, when my IT guy comes knocking on my door one day saying 'WTF IS CHIEFSPLANET'

I'm going to try and convince him its time spent drumming up prospects.

"Theres a ton of very successful people with money to spend at this place, many of them right here in metro KC, i'd be a FOOL and UNWORTHY of Jim Bob Ford to NOT try and tap into it!"

TrebMaxx
12-26-2013, 03:38 PM

That Tacoma gets pretty crappy MPG. I thought it would be a little better than that. That is the same MPG I get with my F-150 Super Crew 4x4 with a 5.4 V8.

I don't know much about these cars but the Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S look fun on paper and in person. If I was looking for something in that segment I would put them on my list. They remind me of the old 240Z\260Z's.

Donger
12-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Premium helps prevent the knocking and pinging you hear when fuel ignites as it's compressed in an engine cylinder before the spark plug fires. Knocking and pinging can damage your engine. Left unattended, it can burn a hole through a piston head.

Octane ratings can be increased using additives including methyl tertiary-butyl ether, ethyl-tertiary butyl ether and toluene. Until the 1970s, tetra-ethyl lead —as in "leaded gas" — was used to boost octane ratings. Leaded gas today is a pariah fuel in most developed nations because of its links to the damaging lead levels it has contributed to human bloodstreams.

Engines with a high compression ratio — typically sport and luxury models —are more prone to knocking, which is why manufacturers of those vehicles recommend or require you use high-octane gas.

All modern cars have anti-knock/pre-ignition sensors. The ECU retards the timing to actually prevent pinging. So no, your engine won't be damaged.

Buck
12-26-2013, 03:45 PM
That Tacoma gets pretty crappy MPG. I thought it would be a little better than that. That is the same MPG I get with my F-150 Super Crew 4x4 with a 5.4 V8.

I don't know much about these cars but the Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S look fun on paper and in person. If I was looking for something in that segment I would put them on my list. They remind me of the old 240Z\260Z's.

Yeah 6 speed manual Tacomas are mfgd in Germany. I guess they can't squeeze as much MPG out as the Japanese.

hometeam
12-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Yeah, because buying my accessport and doing the tune myself cost me around $300. Really broke the bank on that one.

I stay out of boost when I drive on the interstate. And when I do, I get 34mpg. Not bad for a car that's AWD, and has over 300 hp.

So you bought a used AP and tuned your own car. Nothing wrong with that.

We are talking about Buck going from a truck to a fuel efficient car.

Very few people can tune cars. Period. I'm a gear head and wont even attempt to touch tuning tables. And Buck smokes an OZ of grass every day~ So, my go-to suggestion is not for him to try a hand at tuning to save a few bucks in gasoline.

I know a thing or two about big HP Subies, and in my 450 bhp WRX I got about 15 mpg.. (on E85 :P)

TrebMaxx
12-26-2013, 03:48 PM

I don't want to take a chance on mucking up the engine on my BMW. Very rarely will it get anything less than premium and if it does, 89 octane is the bottom limit. My truck is a Flex fuel but it seems sluggish when running the E-85 so I just stick with the 87 octane.

stevieray
12-26-2013, 03:49 PM
here's an idea.. go for test drives.

need help on what to wear?

;)

hometeam
12-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Yeah. Don't worry about burning a hole through your piston head or anything. :shake:

Are you trying to out-carguy me? Because I promise you, there will be no hole burnt through a piston-head, in a stock car.

hometeam
12-26-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't want to take a chance on mucking up the engine on my BMW. Very rarely will it get anything less than premium and if it does, 89 octane is the bottom limit. My truck is a Flex fuel but it seems sluggish when running the E-85 so I just stick with the 87 octane.

Just a heads up, E85 is 107 octane. So its not the octane rating that matters~

TLO
12-26-2013, 03:50 PM

Very few people can tune cars. Period. I'm a gear head and wont even attempt to touch tuning tables. And Buck smokes an OZ of grass every day~ So, my go-to suggestion is not for him to try a hand at tuning to save a few bucks in gasoline.

I know a thing or two about big HP Subies, and in my 450 bhp WRX I got about 15 mpg.. (on E85 :P)

:LOL: Good point. :thumb:

Buck
12-26-2013, 03:51 PM
here's an idea.. go for test drives.

need help on what to wear?

;)

Yep, going for my first in a few minutes. Just needed ideas on cars before I decide what to test drive.

I went from a 4 banging Civic to the Tacoma, and I definitely do not want to have a shitty old gas efficient car that I can't have fun in. That's why I'm going for the 500 Abarth.

Buck
12-26-2013, 03:52 PM

Been about 4 weeks dry :) gave that one up first before giving up on my truck.

TLO
12-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Are you trying to out-carguy me? Because I promise you, there will be no hole burnt through a piston-head, in a stock car.

Nah. I agree that a stock car isn't likely to have any issues. I just tend to think in terms of what I'd do with my modded Subaru.

hometeam
12-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Yep, going for my first in a few minutes. Just needed ideas on cars before I decide what to test drive.

I went from a 4 banging Civic to the Tacoma, and I definitely do not want to have a shitty old gas efficient car that I can't have fun in. That's why I'm going for the 500 Abarth.

Well, seems as though your mind is made up~ Unless of course, your salesman sucks.

I cant make a recommendation on the Fiats, because I have next to no experience with them except for driving them around a car lot and down the street a bit.

TrebMaxx
12-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Just a heads up, E85 is 107 octane. So its not the octane rating that matters~

Interesting, I did not know that. I do know that running the E-85 sucks performance and MPG wise. Seems I do best with 87.

hometeam
12-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Nah. I agree that a stock car isn't likely to have any issues. I just tend to think in terms of what I'd do with my modded Subaru.

Modded cars, especially tightly tuned with modified timing and fuel tables, (especially in your case where you are leaning out for fuel mileage) DEFINITELY need the correct octane.

As stated earlier in the thread, modern cars nip any possible damage causing situation in the bud before they even get that far.

hometeam
12-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Interesting, I did not know that. I do know that running the E-85 sucks performance and MPG wise. Seems I do best with 87.

Yea, it takes a lot more physical amount of e85 to move the vehicle, but its higher octane. I noticed I lost about 1/3 of my fuel efficiency when I went to e85 only in my Subie (this was combined with lots of modification, including big ass injectors to pump the massive amount e85 through, and ECU tuning to take advantage of that 107 octane) As for your vehicle, offhand I cant say what else happens when you switch, its possible that your injectors cant flow the same amount of e85 it would take to match gasoline performance, so it performs less.

I figured it as a wash since the e85 was about 1/3 cheaper than gasoline~

Donger
12-26-2013, 03:58 PM

E-85 contains about 70% of the energy per gallon as gasoline does.

Buck
12-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Well, seems as though your mind is made up~ Unless of course, your salesman sucks.

I cant make a recommendation on the Fiats, because I have next to no experience with them except for driving them around a car lot and down the street a bit.

Mind is only made up on a test drive. I'm worried about the front weight of the Fiat though. Will see soon enough.

Easy 6
12-26-2013, 04:03 PM
The only italian automobile i would buy is a high end sports car, their daily driver reputation is iffy at best.

hometeam
12-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Mind is only made up on a test drive. I'm worried about the front weight of the Fiat though. Will see soon enough.

If you decide to look at new Fords, hit me up. I have sold cars to Alaska before. I'm not scared to make shit happen!

Buck
12-26-2013, 04:12 PM
If you decide to look at new Fords, hit me up. I have sold cars to Alaska before. I'm not scared to make shit happen!

My girl has a ford focus and I hate it. Feels cheap, but I'm still gonna go test the version I'm interested in. If I want it you'll be the first one I talk to.

lewdog
12-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Mazda 3 makes a hatchback with different engine options based on the power/fuel economy you are looking for. I'm looking at the Speed 3 but that's the least fuel efficient but most fun to drive. :D

-King-
12-26-2013, 04:40 PM
You actually think this looks good? Serious question.

http://paultan.org/images.paultan.org/images/New_Fiat_500_Abarth_2_Large.jpg

Buck
12-26-2013, 04:41 PM

No. But if I can have a blast driving it, I'm in. Sitting at Fiat now. I'll report back.

Buns
12-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Honda CRZ is a car I am interested in test driving, even though I'm not too interested in a new car right now. Not sure about the gas mileage though.

TribalElder
12-26-2013, 04:44 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Charlie Style
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ekAyFodyCqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or more Jenny from the block style
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/54QlereOkbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The fiat would probably fit in the bed of your truck LMAO

Eleazar
12-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Small, quick cars are a lot of fun. I drove a Mini that a coworker had done some performance work on, and it was a blast to drive.

TribalElder
12-26-2013, 04:47 PM

It's like a sporty smart car ROFL
http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2011/10/how-smart-is-the-smart-car-image.jpg

stevieray
12-26-2013, 04:48 PM

http://paultan.org/images.paultan.org/images/New_Fiat_500_Abarth_2_Large.jpg hell yeah.

Dayze
12-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Honda CRZ is a car I am interested in test driving, even though I'm not too interested in a new car right now. Not sure about the gas mileage though.

I like those as well.

when I was buying a car about 3 years or so ago, I really liked the Honda Fits too.

Eleazar
12-26-2013, 04:54 PM
I have a BRZ. Only two people can ride in it, but it's a lot of fun to drive. Gets about 30 on the highway at 70.

Red Beans
12-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Mazda 3 with the Skyactive engine. We bought one in 2012. It's perfect. Still sporty, and can make it from Northwest Arkansas to Sioux City on one tank. The only downside is the wind noise when driving.

And fuck a hatchback.

Cornstock
12-26-2013, 04:56 PM
It's like a sporty smart car ROFL
http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2011/10/how-smart-is-the-smart-car-image.jpg

I rode with someone in Austin who has a Car2Go membership, and they use these smart cars. The thing felt like a go-kart. I'm all for fuel efficiency, but smart cars are a bit extreme.

Eleazar
12-26-2013, 04:58 PM
I rode with someone in Austin who has a Car2Go membership, and they use these smart cars. The thing felt like a go-kart. I'm all for fuel efficiency, but smart cars are a bit extreme.

The thing with those is that you don't even get the kind of mileage you'd expect. I think they get like 35mpg. You'd do just as well with a Civic or a VW with the TDI engine

crispystl
12-26-2013, 05:01 PM
I have Scion TC with a 6 speed and a hatchback. It's pretty damn roomy in the back actually. It's also really fun to drive, but I think it gets around 27mpg. I drive the ever loving dog shit out of it though.

DC.chief
12-26-2013, 05:22 PM
I have an 06 durango with a 5.9 that gets 13 mpg... and thats mostly hwy.

Id kill for that tacoma right now.

I could use something smaller and with better gas mileage but damn i love not having a car note!

Rain Man
12-26-2013, 05:25 PM
It's not a hatchback, but I saw an ad the other day for a Jaguar F-type convertible, and I really liked it. Here's the site to build your own. I love going to these car sites and building my own.

http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/f-type/f-type-models/index.html

Buck
12-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Just drove a 2013 GTI and fuck that Fiat lol.

jjjayb
12-26-2013, 06:12 PM

I'm taking the sales from you :p

jjjayb
12-26-2013, 06:17 PM
How the heck does the Fiat only get 34 mpg with only having a 1.4L engine and as small as it is? Seriously, check out a Focus. It'll be cheaper, have more power and get better gas mileage. And it will have 4 doors to boot.

http://www.autoasas.lt/images/gallery/951/7745_big.jpg

Buck
12-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Ford Dealer is next. What model do I want to ask them to drive?

Buck
12-26-2013, 06:21 PM
How the heck does the Fiat only get 34 mpg with only having a 1.4L engine and as small as it is? Seriously, check out a Focus. It'll be cheaper, have more power and get better gas mileage. And it will have 4 doors to boot.

It's like 600 lbs heavier than the Fiat 500. It sounds mean too, but I'm already over it.

TrebMaxx
12-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Focus ST Hatch

Dallas Chief
12-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Mazda 3 makes a hatchback with different engine options based on the power/fuel economy you are looking for. I'm looking at the Speed 3 but that's the least fuel efficient but most fun to drive. :D

Compromise and get the 2.5. I did and it is way fun to drive!

stanleychief
12-26-2013, 06:36 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/corvette

Here you go.. a hatchback, and 29 mpg highway!

Dayze
12-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Just drove a 2013 GTI and **** that Fiat lol.

yeah dude. GTI's are a blast. Same with WRX's.

I wanted a GTI but it was out of my budget when I got my Rabbit.

I also liked the TDI. talk about kick as gas mileage.....

TribalElder
12-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Any used Subaru they might have on the lot

ROFL

Dayze
12-26-2013, 06:51 PM
NIssan Juke? No idea on what the MPG is however.

jjjayb
12-26-2013, 06:55 PM
It's like 600 lbs heavier than the Fiat 500. It sounds mean too, but I'm already over it.

That's why I don't get why the mileage isn't better.

-King-
12-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Why are you buying new?

Chieftain58
12-26-2013, 06:56 PM
I have Dodge 4x4 and a Prius

KC Jones
12-26-2013, 07:21 PM
I get that the look isn't for everyone, but I'm getting ~30mpg from my Nissan Cube. I'm 6'5" and fit in it just fine. My 5'5" 10 year old has plenty of leg room in back too. I can lay the seats down in back and get my mountain bike in only taking the front wheel off the bike. One downside is it's not good in the snow, but given your locale that's nothing to worry about. They are a bit underpowered with the 4 cylinder CVT. Punch the gas and... the hamster wheels slowly rev up. They are cheap though - bare bones is like $16k. Should be good for 150k+ miles.

mdchiefsfan
12-26-2013, 07:25 PM
I was just in a similar situation. I just bought a 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo. That is a fun car to drive. The tech and the warranty for the price are unmatched. Check it out.

Darien25
12-26-2013, 07:44 PM

I think they look pretty cool but when we stopped in a couple of weeks ago to test drive one the salesperson steered us away from them because of reliability, costs and safety concerns. He recommended going with something off of their Honda or Mazda lot.

Darien25
12-26-2013, 07:47 PM
I was just in a similar situation. I just bought a 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo. That is a fun car to drive. The tech and the warranty for the price are unmatched. Check it out.

I love the exterior body styling of these cars. Not the most comfortable ride but definitely a neat looking car. I am still considering buying one.

dtebbe
12-26-2013, 07:54 PM
I rented a Dodge 300 V6 and drove it from KC to SD and back one weekend. Averaged 34mpg. It ran really well (so well I thought it had a V8 until I looked under the hood) and was very luxurious on the inside. There are lots of bigger cars out there that will do over 30mpg. I'm also a fan of the Nissan Altima with the 2.5 and CVT. Over 35mpg on those the last few times I've rented them. And I have a lead foot.

The Mazda 3's of any flavor are a blast to drive and get good mileage too.

I own a Toaster (2006 Scion XB) and it gets 24-28 mpg around town and 30-32 on the highway. I love it for buzzing around town, but it really sucks on any sort of long trip.

DT

Cannibal
12-26-2013, 07:59 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2012/08/01-ford-fiesta-st-5-door-la.jpg

cdcox
12-26-2013, 08:00 PM
I've had a 2012 Mazda 3 Hatch back 6-speed manual for about a year and have loved it. I get 31 MPG in a mix of town and highway driving with aggressive acceleration. Nice performance level too with zippy acceleration, good handling characteristics. If I had more performance, I'd get in trouble.

It seats 4 comfortably, but isn't as comfortable as our Nissan Altima for long trips.

MIAdragon
12-26-2013, 08:14 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/adcfae0a1b6eb58edc7929a6757381d1/tumblr_ml9jv2y6Rf1qeajnqo1_1280.jpg

Buck
12-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Why are you buying new?

Better interest rate. 1.9% vs 5.9%

Buck
12-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Spent the last 4.5 hours doing car shopping...final verdict for tonight...

2014 Fiat 500 Abarth - Sounds amazing, doesn't have the giddyup I'm looking for and it doesn't look pretty.

2013 Volkswagen GTI - Best feeling car of all of them, however, they only had automatic and I think this one is about $7000 above my price range when it's all said and done.

2013 Focus ST Hatchback - Loved the power on this one, feels a little cheaper than the Volkswagen, but the engine felt stronger. The shifter knob seemed way too tight for me. Like 3rd gear was only a half inch away from first and fifth. Also the reverse is wonky on the shift stick. I think this was my favorite, all things considered. Worried about the gas mileage though. It said 26 mpg combined for the 6 speed manual and 31 for the auto. Does anyone drive the auto? I only test drove the manual and I'm worried the auto will be far less fun.

Subaru - Didn't have anything within my criteria
Honda - Same
Nissan - Same
Mazda - Didn't have any versions of the Mazda 3 Speed. The guy told me the other ones aren't very fun so I just left.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Here you go, Buck. Got a couple of friends who swear by their Mini's. If you're going to try a Fiat, might as well check this out:

http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniusa/en/model/coupe.html

Spent the last 4.5 hours doing car shopping...final verdict for tonight...

2014 Fiat 500 Abarth - Sounds amazing, doesn't have the giddyup I'm looking for and it doesn't look pretty.

2013 Volkswagen GTI - Best feeling car of all of them, however, they only had automatic and I think this one is about $7000 above my price range when it's all said and done.

2013 Focus ST Hatchback - Loved the power on this one, feels a little cheaper than the Volkswagen, but the engine felt stronger. The shifter knob seemed way too tight for me. Like 3rd gear was only a half inch away from first and fifth. Also the reverse is wonky on the shift stick. I think this was my favorite, all things considered. Worried about the gas mileage though. It said 26 mpg combined for the 6 speed manual and 31 for the auto. Does anyone drive the auto? I only test drove the manual and I'm worried the auto will be far less fun.

Subaru - Didn't have anything within my criteria
Honda - Same
Nissan - Same
Mazda - Didn't have any versions of the Mazda 3 Speed. The guy told me the other ones aren't very fun so I just left.

cdcox
12-26-2013, 09:33 PM
The regular Mazda 3 is only a second slower than the Mazda 3 Speed and plenty of fun.

2014 Mazda 3s Grand Touring Hatchback (Manual) 0-60 mph 6.6 Quarter Mile 15.2

2014 Mazda 3i Grand Touring Hatchback (Manual) 0-60 mph 7.7 Quarter Mile 16.0

Both are comparable to the Ford Focus ST Hatchback, which runs a 6.6 zero to 60.

Whatever car you choose, go for the manual if you are looking for fun.
Like I said before I'm getting 31 mpg with the Mazda 3 (non-Speed version) and run 3500 to 4000 rpms before shifting out of first and 2nd gear. Big difference over the 3 Speed and Focus ST Hatchback that are going to do around 5 mpg less.

Buck
12-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Very strange. At the dealership I swear there was an Automatic Focus ST Hatchback, but the salesman was really confused when we were looking at it because he was under the impression it wasnt a thing.

I'm watching this Jay Leno video on the Focus ST now, and some Ford guy is saying all ST's are Manual.

Thanks for the info cdcox, I'll go back and try that one out soon.

BWillie
12-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Unless you tow shit and need a truck, I have no idea why you would ever give a shit how large the engine is or how much torque or horsepower a car has. What difference does it make?

Rain Man
12-26-2013, 10:41 PM
I must admit that the thought of a new car is tempting. But you can get so much more car for the money if you buy a two-year-old car that I can never pull the trigger on a new one.

cdcox
12-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Unless you tow shit and need a truck, I have no idea why you would ever give a shit how large the engine is or how much torque or horsepower a car has. What difference does it make?

We had Ford Escorts as our primary family car for almost 20 years. When you doubt your ability to make it over the top of a mountain or whether you can safely merge onto the interstate you find that HP and torque become higher priorities. If HP and torque are too low, they become a safety issues.

BWillie
12-26-2013, 10:54 PM
We had Ford Escorts as our primary family car for almost 20 years. When you doubt your ability to make it over the top of a mountain or whether you can safely merge onto the interstate you find that HP and torque become higher priorities. If HP and torque are too low, they become a safety issues.

I cant imagine many cars being less powerful than a Prius. I test drove a couple of these and I came away with no concerns about acceleration and going up hills. And if you are trying to slam the gas down to avoid accidents you are doing it wrong.

hometeam
12-26-2013, 10:58 PM

I will say this as someone with a little (or a lot) of knowledge about Hyundai. Velosters are pretty much fail. Yes you have warranty, but its gonna be in there all the time. In fact, I made bank off of Veloster warranty tickets. Radios every day. Sunroofs cracking. Trim pieces. Jacked up turbos, rear control arms, shocks, window switches, you name it. And this is on brand new low mileage cars. On the sales side, its no secret that after the initial release, they haven't sold shit, and just IMO, you can bet they wont be around much longer.

As with any vehicle, YMMV.

If your gonna buy a Hyundai, make it a Genesis Coupe~

hometeam
12-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Very strange. At the dealership I swear there was an Automatic Focus ST Hatchback, but the salesman was really confused when we were looking at it because he was under the impression it wasnt a thing.

I'm watching this Jay Leno video on the Focus ST now, and some Ford guy is saying all ST's are Manual.

Thanks for the info cdcox, I'll go back and try that one out soon.

There are no auto Focus or Fiesta ST. 6 speed only. Was it black? You where probably looking at an auto Titanium hatch with full body style kit and titanium handling package~

hometeam
12-26-2013, 11:08 PM
and Buck, Honda didnt have anything to fit the criteria, ? No Civic SI?

Simply Red
12-26-2013, 11:31 PM
BMW 335i twin-turbo, 80% 93octane - 20% 107octane(E85)

ER Charge Pipe
AR down pipe
JB4 Map# 05

447HP @ wheel
1/4 mile trap-speed = 118 mph

12-18 MPG :(

Jiu Jitsu Jon
12-26-2013, 11:34 PM
The Chevy Citation.

/thread

Buck
12-26-2013, 11:41 PM
and Buck, Honda didnt have anything to fit the criteria, ? No Civic SI?

The guy who was helping me said nothing fit my criteria, I guess they didn't have any.

I want to rent the ST(s) for like a day or a few hours and really get a chance to drive them before I decide.

I wonder how I can do that.

hometeam
12-26-2013, 11:43 PM
The guy who was helping me said nothing fit my criteria, I guess they didn't have any.

I want to rent the ST(s) for like a day or a few hours and really get a chance to drive them before I decide.

I wonder how I can do that.

WEAK

Buck
12-26-2013, 11:48 PM
yeah he was by far the least enthusiastic salesperson i talked to today

im pretty car'd out right now...I really like the idea of having something fun to play with, while saving money...tough decision on whether or not I will follow through though...

Buck
12-26-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm really glad I didn't do anything stupid and commit to buying a car today, especially that fiat.

TribalElder
12-26-2013, 11:53 PM
I'm really glad I didn't do anything stupid and commit to buying a car today, especially that fiat.

ROFL

I was wondering if something was wrong

cdcox
12-26-2013, 11:56 PM
I cant imagine many cars being less powerful than a Prius. I test drove a couple of these and I came away with no concerns about acceleration and going up hills. And if you are trying to slam the gas down to avoid accidents you are doing it wrong.

The Prius has 136 BHP. The Escorts I drove were like 80. Huge difference. The Mazda 2 currently has a similar engine. So the Prius is like 2x the power of some of the lower powered cars on the market.

Above 120 bhp, with a small car there aren't many concerns about being under powered.

You must not do much urban driving. If you can't reach merging speed on a short on ramp your choices are to either throw yourself into a gap and hope the trailing vehicle can/will slow down or stop on the on ramp and hope you don't get rear ended AND hope that eventually an enormous gap will eventually open that will allow you 15 seconds or so to get up to highway speeds.

stanleychief
12-27-2013, 12:28 AM

ER Charge Pipe
AR down pipe
JB4 Map# 05

447HP @ wheel

Wow!! I haven't taken mine that far yet. I have an '08 335xi with JB4 and DCI kit installed. I'm running map 1 for now. I am still getting decent gas mileage when not driving like a lunatic. It'll launch like a rocket and I have received quite a few startled looks on the highway when passing. :)

DenverChief
12-27-2013, 07:03 AM

Jetta TDI - turbo diesel. Get about 40 mpg

140 Hp BUT 240 ftlb of Torque - yea baby!

Simply Red
12-27-2013, 07:09 AM
Wow!! I haven't taken mine that far yet. I have an '08 335xi with JB4 and DCI kit installed. I'm running map 1 for now. I am still getting decent gas mileage when not driving like a lunatic. It'll launch like a rocket and I have received quite a few startled looks on the highway when passing. :)

Yes, I'm done with the mods now - It literally scares me sometimes. Send me a pick stanley - would love to see it!

Aspengc8
12-27-2013, 07:45 AM

ER Charge Pipe
AR down pipe
JB4 Map# 05

447HP @ wheel

Is that custom tuned? My buddy has the same setup, but also has aftermarket exhaust. He dyno'd around 360 whp, with the 335i twins laying down around 260whp stock. I think your 447 is estimated base?

Simply Red
12-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Is that custom tuned? My buddy has the same setup, but also has aftermarket exhaust. He dyno'd around 360 whp, with the 335i twins laying down around 260whp stock. I think your 447 is estimated base?

oh yeah - it really is Aspngc8, it's my calculations as well as the shops, I need to put on paper and make it official - the 447 is pretty darned close to what I'm actually achieving, give or take 5 ponies. They're really responsive to these upgrades, even more so than Audi.

Simply Red
12-27-2013, 08:11 AM
also the E85 fuel added - makes the boost supreme.

Dayze
12-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Jetta TDI - turbo diesel. Get about 40 mpg

140 Hp BUT 240 ftlb of Torque - yea baby!

was looking like crazy for a TDI, but man they were slim pickens around here at the time....if at all.

Simply Red
12-27-2013, 09:52 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a54f1BxNr54" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
12-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Pwning Ferraris, it's how we do.

Dayze
12-27-2013, 10:10 AM
but put a twin turbo on the Ferrari......

still a bad ass BMW though. just totally two different cars at that point.

Radar Chief
12-27-2013, 10:28 AM

ER Charge Pipe
AR down pipe
JB4 Map# 05

447HP @ wheel

Low 11's, high 10's?

Aspengc8
12-27-2013, 10:32 AM
also the E85 fuel added - makes the boost supreme.

Indeed it does! I'm running methanol injection on my STI. Here's the vid when I was tuned a couple years ago. Car pretty much stays in the garage, been driving my 11' WRX Limited more.. I like the heated leather in this crappy NY weather :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s7z_WAgDrVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's some pics with the different changes I made over the years..

Swapped out to black wheels w/red lip & classic WRX hood/Trunk spoiler

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/aspengc8/IMG_0260.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/aspengc8/media/IMG_0260.jpg.html)

Then back to gold Prodrives..

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/aspengc8/IMG_0206.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/aspengc8/media/IMG_0206.jpg.html)

First frontmount I installed.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/aspengc8/IMG_0207.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/aspengc8/media/IMG_0207.jpg.html)

Now she is just black/stealthed out with the black wheels, carbon fiber hood and trunk, and stealth FMIC

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/aspengc8/IMG_0242.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/aspengc8/media/IMG_0242.jpg.html)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/aspengc8/back.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/aspengc8/media/back.jpg.html)

lewdog
12-27-2013, 03:41 PM

How about the fun of driving?

I mean, people can enjoy driving a car with great acceleration and handling, right?

Buck
12-27-2013, 04:12 PM
I sorta wanna drive an MS3 just to see what it's all about.

hometeam
12-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Hey! This thread is about Buck!

And ya'll in here bustin' out all your race cars. Don't make me do it too!

penguinz
12-27-2013, 04:37 PM
I have nothing to contribute other than I get 16mpg on a good week. But at least I never get stuck at home during a snow storm!

Dayze
12-27-2013, 04:44 PM
my Rabbit is fun because it's geared a little lower. Only a 5 speed, and it's geared low with most of it's torque coming on fairly low. Fun as shit around town. Though, a bit 'revvy' at 70-75 etc.

It was only 3 years old when I bought it in 2011 with only 40k miles; only paid $10k for it. Still runs like a champ; just crested 56k miles.

Tytanium
12-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Mazda 3 hatch
2012+ Ford Focus
Subaru Impreza hatch
VW Golf GTI

The Prius is neither particularly small, and it is the opposite of fun to drive (it's monumentally terrible).

I own a 2012 Focus Titanium with the handling package and it's incredibly fun to drive, gets 40mpg+ on the highway, and has enough storage to hold a $450 shopping trip to Costco.

The Mazda 3 has slightly better fuel economy, but a worse interior, no Sync functionality, and is priced about the same. A little more aggressive looking (I like the Focus better)

The VW and Subaru are by far the most expensive, and the VW being the most expensive to maintain. Subaru is the only one of the ones I listed to have AWD, if that's something you want. If you want good handling in snow and ice, buy a second set of wheels/steelies and put snow tires on them. Both of them are the least fuel efficient of the bunch.

Buzz
12-27-2013, 05:50 PM
I just helped my son buy a focus a week and a half ago, 2001, one owner with 94,000 miles, paid $3500 plus $200 in DOC fees. He loves the car, should get 25 mpg.

BWillie
12-27-2013, 05:57 PM
How about the fun of driving?

I mean, people can enjoy driving a car with great acceleration and handling, right?

I dont know. Ive never really been blessed with that gene. So many ppl in my family are such gearheads and car ppl. They blow their wad on some old muscle car with a hemi(?) and thats about all they talk about at Xmas and thanksgiving I always feel so out of the loop. What on Earth possesses ppl to wish to work on cars in their free time? Would be the worst thing ever. But everybody likes different things. I mean I follow Royals baseball, cant be worse than that

Buck
12-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Getting the ST. Thanks to hometeam I got a real good deal. I'm losing a little money on my truck but still going to save $75-100 a month.

DenverChief
12-27-2013, 07:16 PM
was looking like crazy for a TDI, but man they were slim pickens around here at the time....if at all.

:spock: where were you looking? and for what year?

DenverChief
12-27-2013, 07:19 PM
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/skMLy36Ryfw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/skMLy36Ryfw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Buehler445
12-27-2013, 07:41 PM
I dont know. Ive never really been blessed with that gene. So many ppl in my family are such gearheads and car ppl. They blow their wad on some old muscle car with a hemi(?) and thats about all they talk about at Xmas and thanksgiving I always feel so out of the loop. What on Earth possesses ppl to wish to work on cars in their free time? Would be the worst thing ever. But everybody likes different things. I mean I follow Royals baseball, cant be worse than that

What?

You don't have the gene that makes you want to haul ass?

I hate working on cars more than you. I promise. But it is still fun to go fast and push the machine.

lewdog
12-27-2013, 08:16 PM
What?

You don't have the gene that makes you want to haul ass?

I hate working on cars more than you. I promise. But it is still fun to go fast and push the machine.

Yea I like hauling ass and if the car needs work, I've got a mechanic for that. :D

Dayze
12-27-2013, 09:04 PM
:spock: where were you looking? and for what year?

here in KC about 2010 - 2011. Used market.

Buck
12-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Drove from the dealer to home. Got above 27 mpg for the trip. I'm glad because that's pretty much my home to work / work to home route.

Gonna be tough not gunning it though. Caught myself once doing 80 on the way home and had no idea...gonna have to use the cruise control.

DenverChief
12-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Drove from the dealer to home. Got above 27 mpg for the trip. I'm glad because that's pretty much my home to work / work to home route.

Gonna be tough not gunning it though. Caught myself once doing 80 on the way home and had no idea...gonna have to use the cruise control.

What did you get?

DenverChief
12-27-2013, 09:11 PM
here in KC about 2010 - 2011. Used market.

Interesting - bunch here in Denver - totally worth the drive to pick one up - I can drive Denver to KC on one tank of gas

Buck
12-27-2013, 09:19 PM
What did you get?

Base model Focus ST.

DenverChief
12-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Base model Focus ST.

Bleh - did you drive a Jetta TDI?

TrebMaxx
12-27-2013, 09:40 PM

I imagine that 250+ HP in a little car like that will be a blast to drive. Just make sure to go easy until its broke in.

Buzz
12-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Wait till you have replace a burnt out headlight, lol, took an hour last week. Remove shroud, 4 clips, 4 bolts for the grill, 3 bolts on top of the headlight assembly, jack the car up and one bolt on the bottom of the assembly, remove clip that holds the bulb in, replace and reassemble. 96$ to 126$ at your local mechanic but your in cali so you wont have to do it in a slush covered garage. Congrats on the car, may it serve you well.

TribalElder
12-27-2013, 10:31 PM
please bump this thread once the ford starts being a ford and you have to fix something ROFL

Simply Red
12-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Low 11's, high 10's?

I'm not sure - I'm still n00bish with it - I just recently found out my trap speed, but really, I don't know how to answer your question :shrug:

Simply Red
12-27-2013, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=Aspengc8;10312616]Indeed it does! I'm running methanol injection on my STI. Here's the vid when I was tuned a couple years ago. Car pretty much stays in the garage, been driving my 11' WRX Limited more.. I like the heated leather in this crappy NY weather :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s7z_WAgDrVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's some pics with the different changes I made over the years..

Swapped out to black wheels w/red lip & classic WRX hood/Trunk spoiler

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/aspengc8/IMG_0260.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/aspengc8/media/IMG_0260.jpg.html)

Then back to gold Prodrives..

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/aspengc8/IMG_0206.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/aspengc8/media/IMG_0206.jpg.html)

First frontmount I installed.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/aspengc8/IMG_0207.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/aspengc8/media/IMG_0207.jpg.html)

Now she is just black/stealthed out with the black wheels, carbon fiber hood and trunk, and stealth FMIC

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/aspengc8/IMG_0242.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/aspengc8/media/IMG_0242.jpg.html)

[URL=http://s35.photobucket.com/user/aspengc8/media/back.jpg.html]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/aspengc8/back.jpg

Nice I have meth bungs on my charge pipe - but I wouldn't ever risk it - heck w/ having stock injectors I never put more than 3 gallons of e85 in, even.

Buck
12-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Car is a fucking blast to drive for a daily driver for a broke bastard. So far anyways. Haven't really pushed it yet.

TrebMaxx
12-28-2013, 12:34 AM
Car is a fucking blast to drive for a daily driver for a broke bastard. So far anyways. Haven't really pushed it yet.

How about a pic?

Dayze
12-28-2013, 02:01 AM
Interesting - bunch here in Denver - totally worth the drive to pick one up - I can drive Denver to KC on one tank of gas

:harumph:

yeah, the MPG is sick on those bastards.

lewdog
12-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Car is a ****ing blast to drive for a daily driver for a broke bastard. So far anyways. Haven't really pushed it yet.

New car and broke bastard don't really coincide.

My car is about ready to turn 13 years old (read cheap bastard).

Radar Chief
12-28-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm not sure - I'm still n00bish with it - I just recently found out my trap speed, but really, I don't know how to answer your question :shrug:

Sorry Red, I'm talking about the elapsed time in seconds.
Are you going to a drag strip or doing a "roll on" at an air port like in the video you posted?
If you're going to a drag strip they should give you a slip at the end of your run showing you stuff like reaction time, 60 & 120 ft. times and elapsed times for 1/8 and 1/4 mile along with your trap speed. With around 120 MPH trap speed that would generally land you in the low 11 second to high 10 second range in the 1/4.
If your going to an air port then I don't know, guess it depends on who is running the show.

hometeam
12-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Are you going to a drag strip or doing a "roll on" at an air port like in the video you posted?
If you're going to a drag strip they should give you a slip at the end of your run showing you stuff like reaction time, 60 & 120 ft. times and elapsed times for 1/8 and 1/4 mile along with your trap speed. With around 120 MPH trap speed that would generally land you in the low 11 second to high 10 second range in the 1/4.
If your going to an air port then I don't know, guess it depends on who is running the show.

my TA pulled a 10.81 @ 124 all motor on drag RADIALS and skinnies~

Trap speed is overrated~

COchief
12-28-2013, 09:35 AM

Dude, I like and respect you but good lord was this exchange dumb and I just can't let it go.

Vehicles in any given state depend on climate/demographic/pop. age/culture/progressive. You think it might be easier to find a Prius in the Bay area vs Oklahoma? Would you fly to Miami or Dallas if you were in the market for a F350? If you fancied a manual tranny would you go hunting in Scottsdale, AZ?

I mean Jesus, you are a gay man who has lived in Denver for how long? Have you noticed that this state is just a tad bit more progressive/liberal in everything and there may just be a few more TDI/Prius/Leafs (ha, Leaves?) in this state than say TX/MO?

Radar Chief
12-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Trap speed is overrated~

Nice. :thumb:
And yea, trap speed is an indicator of horsepower but it's pretty common for the higher trap speed to lose a drag race because the other guy was getting down the track so quickly he didn't have as much time to accelerate.

Buck
12-28-2013, 09:58 AM
I can't wait til I break this thing in. It's much faster and more fun than any car I've owned. Went from 65 to 100 in less than 3 seconds in 6th. No car I've owned before could even get close to that.

COchief
12-28-2013, 10:13 AM
I can't wait til I break this thing in. It's much faster and more fun than any car I've owned. Went from 65 to 100 in less than 3 seconds in 6th. No car I've owned before could even get close to that.

Congrats, nothing like having a new car that is on the other end of the spectrum from your old one. I hope you beat the shit out of whoever you bought from pricewise being you bought the couple days after Christmas. I bought my Wrangler on 12-27 last year and played a few dealers off each other and they were bending over like crazy.

I think you chose well, your options were basically:

By price:
Fiesta ST
Focus ST/Mazdaspeed 3
GTI
Mini
WRX

I should learn to stay out of car threads on CP, we've got:

-Why yall care about torque/hp when you ain't pullin no stumps?

-Late 90s era style 2F2F "hp to tha wheels" figures completely made up, I was surprised Mr "this is your brain on drugs" didn't add a few HP for his aftermarket carbon fiber cup holders.

-Advice from "My bro's got a ten second car" so he knows better than BMW/Honda/VW/Toyotas entire engine management engineering teams that have billions at stake based on their knowledge. Watch for a PM from NASA, I informed them of your brother's extensive fuel experience when they asked if they could just put 85 in instead of rocket fuel.

Yes, I'm kind of grumpy this morning...

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 10:16 AM

Yeah that's way over my head, I guess I should not have acted like I knew what I was talking about.

I just did the math and also consulted w/ the technicians as to where I'd be. That wasn't my car dragging against the F430. So far I've only abused a 911 and a v12 amg.

I'm cooling it w/ the insane street racing - it's way too dangerous. It's just nice if you see an s4 at a light, and you know you can pwn him 0 - 70ish.

It's pretty much the same mentality as owning a bike - or so the respect factor absolutely SHOULD be the same. I've piddled around w/ g37's and torch them like really bad, but really I'm going to chill and drive it only in Drive and stay off the Sport mode. Additionally I've had it up to 120, I felt the front wheels skipping the pavement. It's really scary up there at those speeds w/ a TRUE rear-wheel pwr'd car. Hopefully that all added up and made sense - lol

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 10:18 AM

did you buy one yet? I haven't had a chance to read back through the thread.

Radar Chief
12-28-2013, 10:20 AM

-Late 90s era style 2F2F "hp to tha wheels" figures completely made up, I was surprised Mr "this is your brain on drugs" didn't add a few HP for his aftermarket carbon fiber cup holders.

-Advice from "My bro's got a ten second car" so he knows better than BMW/Honda/VW/Toyotas entire engine management engineering teams that have billions at stake based on their knowledge. Watch for a PM from NASA, I informed them of your brother's extensive fuel experience and when they asked if they could just put 85 in instead of rocket fuel.

:LOL: I must be missing out on some good reading.

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Congrats, nothing like having a new car that is on the other end of the spectrum from your old one. I hope you beat the shit out of whoever you bought from pricewise being you bought the couple days after Christmas. I bought my Wrangler on 12-27 last year and played a few dealers off each other and they were bending over like crazy.

I think you chose well, your options were basically:

By price:
Fiesta ST
Focus ST/Mazdaspeed 3
GTI
Mini
WRX

-Advice from "My bro's got a ten second car" so he knows better than BMW/Honda/VW/Toyotas entire engine management engineering teams that have billions at stake based on their knowledge. Watch for a PM from NASA, I informed them of your brother's extensive fuel experience and when they asked if they could just put 85 in instead of rocket fuel.

Are you Frazod?

Radar Chief
12-28-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm cooling it w/ the insane street racing - it's way too dangerous. It's just nice if you see an s4 at a light, and you know you can pwn him 0 - 70ish.

Ah, got'cha.
You won't hear any sermons from on that though, done more than my fair share of it myself.

COchief
12-28-2013, 10:34 AM
:LOL: I must be missing out on some good reading.

Pretty sure I always notice you in these threads, you are one of the few that passes the litmus test with frequency IIRC.

There is plenty on this page from "Would you like your brain fried or scrambled" about how he completely made up a trap time for his made up whp car and then had no idea what a 30/60/ 1/8 1/4 slip was since he has obviously has never even heard the basics about drag racing.

He then posted a rolling start video of an unknown BMW vs a Ferrari (drag race of all things, ugh) as proof of his ride's "ability to pwn". Wonder if that launch button on the Ferrari might have changed that outcome just a tad.

He's killing me slowly but surely...

COchief
12-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Are you Frazod?

Did I recommend a Chevy Malibu or a V6 auto Mustang (sorry Fraz, couldn't resist)?

I have noticed your bullshit in car threads and am seriously starting to question whether you have owned any of the cars you have claimed to?

You're telling me you have owned modified S4/WRX (one or both I forget) /335i and you have no idea what 30/60 1/8 1/4 means? The fastest cars I've ever owned were stock S2000s that I took to the track (with turns not trees) and I've known this shit for years.

stevieray
12-28-2013, 10:47 AM
four touchdowns in one game!

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Did I recommend a Chevy Malibu or a V6 auto Mustang?

I have noticed your bullshit in car threads and am seriously starting to question whether you have owned any of the cars you have claimed to?

You're telling me you have owned modified S4/WRX (one or both I forget) /335i and you have no idea what 30/60 1/8 1/4 means? The fastest cars I've ever owned were stock S2000s that I took to the track (with turns not trees) and I've known this shit for years.

I never owned a WRX or an S4

I'm going to brag on what I have owned, now - just to be a dick - by the way you can check w/ other posters who've seen a few of my cars, you ****ing dildo.

Cars I've owned.

1 QX4
2 Nissan Armadas
1 QX56
2 FX35's (wife driven)
1 Mercedes S500
2 audi a4's 1x 1.8t w/ APR flash 1x 3.2 (which is getting a new engine currently 'still own')
1 328i
and currently the 335i bauce.

I'll be glad to put my laptop in front of my current car and take a photo w/ this thread pulled up - that is - if i gave a shit you didn't believe me.

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Also the 335i is paid off - so eat a big jar of cock mayo.:D

stevieray
oh yeah?
well
well i owned a pinto wagon in high school!

Simply Red
oh yeah?
well

LMAO

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 10:56 AM
I had a POS old ass Subaru when i first moved here - it was a little tank.

Buehler445
12-28-2013, 11:06 AM
oh yeah?
well

Chevy Corsica FOR THE FUCKING WIN

Bitches!!!!!

Radar Chief
12-28-2013, 11:14 AM
oh yeah?
well

:LOL: I drove a green Pinto in high school, it was a hand me down and I couldn't afford anything better.
Called it "the towed". Said in person it worked on a couple of levels because it did look like a toad but I called it that because it kept breaking down.

COchief
12-28-2013, 11:17 AM
I never owned a WRX or an S4

I'm going to brag:

Cars I've owned.

2 Nissan Armadas
1 QX56

3 of your "brag choices" are universally lauded as the absolute ugliest and worst vehicle ever produced, and you bought them 3x. GG champ.

Well, your vehicle history now makes a ton of sense. You're a ****ing noob and you don't know shit period. Quit acting like it's the opposite and pulling bullshit hp wheel figures and trap times out of your ass claiming they're yours. No one on any car forum would post anything of that sort without a dyno sheet or a timeslip (google them and learn).

I will give some credit as you somehow someway appear to have managed some level of success with your skillset. Trust fund?

Dayze
12-28-2013, 11:56 AM

Trap speed is overrated~

I like watching the 10" radial class. :thumb: see some crazy shit there.

hometeam
12-28-2013, 12:03 PM
I like watching the 10" radial class. :thumb: see some crazy shit there.

These where 17 inch drag radials~ Also keep in mind this was a full weight, street driven, nearly DAILY driven car, with A/C/PS/Leather. It was also set up for a big shot of spray, but I never did it, felt like it would go mid 9s on a 200 shot.

<param name="movie" value="http://www.streetfire.net/flash/SPlayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="&video=bace0a3a-5a4d-493d-b16e-9bb10172578c&servicecfg=386" /><embed src="http://www.streetfire.net/flash/SPlayer.swf" flashvars="video=bace0a3a-5a4d-493d-b16e-9bb10172578c&servicecfg=386" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="338" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br/><a href="http://www.streetfire.net/video/396mikes-1087-pass_636507.htm">396Mike's 10.87 Pass</a></object>

LoneWolf
12-28-2013, 12:40 PM
3 of your "brag choices" are universally lauded as the absolute ugliest and worst vehicle ever produced, and you bought them 3x. GG champ.

Well, your vehicle history now makes a ton of sense. You're a ****ing noob and you don't know shit period. Quit acting like it's the opposite and pulling bullshit hp wheel figures and trap times out of your ass claiming they're yours. No one on any car forum would post anything of that sort without a dyno sheet or a timeslip (google them and learn).

I will give some credit as you somehow someway appear to have managed some level of success with your skillset. Trust fund?

Seems like you're overcompensating for the fact you have a small dick by acting like a huge dick.

Dayze
12-28-2013, 01:17 PM
These where 17 inch drag radials~ Also keep in mind this was a full weight, street driven, nearly DAILY driven car, with A/C/PS/Leather. It was also set up for a big shot of spray, but I never did it, felt like it would go mid 9s on a 200 shot.

<param name="movie" value="http://www.streetfire.net/flash/SPlayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="&video=bace0a3a-5a4d-493d-b16e-9bb10172578c&servicecfg=386" /><embed src="http://www.streetfire.net/flash/SPlayer.swf" flashvars="video=bace0a3a-5a4d-493d-b16e-9bb10172578c&servicecfg=386" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="338" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br/><a href="http://www.streetfire.net/video/396mikes-1087-pass_636507.htm">396Mike's 10.87 Pass</a></object>

I went with my brother to a mini-car show outside of a local truck shop. afterwards, it was about a 40 minute drive to the drag strip. all cars that were going to run, had to drive the cars they were going to run to the strip etc. It was a blast watching some of them run. and seeing some sleepers in the car show beforehand. Definitely some powerful fucking cars on the street scene that look bone ass stock.

I saw some old ass 4 door Ford, that was a twin with a 100 shot of NOS (lol...sorry had to do the 'NOS' reference). . He still had hub caps, and on the back, the drag radials were either painted with a white wall or something of the like. Car was all fucking motor lol.

lewdog
12-28-2013, 01:39 PM

Can someone who knows about cars tell me if the advice to "not test the car's engine until you hit about 5k miles" is true or total bullshit for a new car?

TLO
12-28-2013, 01:55 PM

65 to 100 in less than 3 seconds? In 6th?

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

Car threads on CP rule.

Sorry to ruin your fun Buck. I think you might still be a little excited about your new car and may be, um, a little off on your sub 3 second 65-100 pull.

hometeam
12-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Can someone who knows about cars tell me if the advice to "not test the car's engine until you hit about 5k miles" is true or total bullshit for a new car?

Total bullshit.

Days of 'break in' period are over. The prevailing thought of break-in time is left over from times when the machining processes used to make internal engine parts where not laser-micron perfect as they are now.

Used to be, there could be problems with ring sealing and other things because of tiny imperfections in your cylinder head. So, they would have you take it easy on the car so the components would literally scrub metal off of each other until the tolerances where in spec enough that the rings would seal perfectly. That is why there would be metal in the oil when you changed it on the first oil change.

Now, not only is the machining used to make the parts perfect, but the cars are tested at the factory, and dealer before you get them. So, when you get the car, any 'break in' is already done.

Let er rip.

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 02:11 PM

Wow you're mad - No I have a company of my own. I own a business. I don't have to learn bitch - I'm too busy learning what REALLY matters, my job. I pay people to know - If you're too stupid to google, twin-turbo w/ JB4 stage 5 give you an immediate 100hp at the wheel - then the charge+down piping give you 40->45 more hp - then the e85 additive will give you even more boost, there is zero doubt I'd trap at what I'd mentioned, at least! maybe even 119 at a max - you can probably google the trap w/ that configuration.

I'm really sorry you're a fat miserable plumber or Jay's Truck driving school grad stuck in Marshall Missouri, with a fatassed wife that really sucks, I feel bad for you. Really, I do.

But don't be mad of my success in life, you'll get that dollar raise in another year or two, champ.

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Seems like you're overcompensating for the fact you have a small dick by acting like a huge dick.

I remember around 2007 that dude's avatar, and what an incredible dumbass he was - seems he was beaten by non other than Skip Towne at that time.

Then the others piled on - I'll never forget his username - due to the goofy avatar he had (that noone knew who it was)

This guy has a history of dumbness.

Bowser
12-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Getting the ST. Thanks to hometeam I got a real good deal. I'm losing a little money on my truck but still going to save $75-100 a month.

Congrats, but this is bullshit you didn't get a Prius. ChiefsPlanet would have surely splurged for you to get you one of these...

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/toyota-prius-camper-van-side.jpg

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Guys - please don't share any of my personal data with this poster who's attacking me - he seems very unstable and capable of potentially being a murderer - or at least has that sort of temper, I'd like my info to not be hanging out there for this sociopath to get a hold of.

Thanks in advance...

lewdog
12-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Guys - please don't share any of my personal data with this poster who's attacking me - he seems very unstable and capable of potentially being a murderer - or at least has that sort of temper, I'd like my info to not be hanging out there for this sociopath to get a hold of.

Thanks in advance...

Simply Red
666 Satan's Ass
Hell has froze over, MO 66666

penguinz
12-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Congrats, but this is bullshit you didn't get a Prius. ChiefsPlanet would have surely splurged for you to get you one of these...

Wtf is that?

Bowser
12-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Wtf is that?

A camper for a Prius. No shit. They only come in Prius hugging dong form though.

Buck would have been forever a legend if he had gotten one of those.

MIAdragon
12-28-2013, 03:12 PM

Trap speed is overrated~

Trap is a true indication of the power you're putting down.

BWillie
12-28-2013, 03:22 PM

LMAO

Good place for a mobile Chinese child labor factory

stanleychief
12-28-2013, 04:13 PM

If you've been doing runs from 65-100 in less than 3 seconds, I think you have broken it in pretty well. Old school break in procedures don't apply the same to modern engines. Typically some 'spirited' driving is recommended during the break-in period provided you're not constantly revving to redline each shift.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/saturday-mechanic-blog/how-to-break-in-a-new-car

Of course, I'd follow any procedure outlined in the car's manual, but don't be scared of giving it a little throttle every now and then.

hometeam
12-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Trap is a true indication of the power you're putting down.

I know what your saying here, but the time is what counts. In my stock WRX I ran 5 runs at 14.2/3/4@107/108. I knew the car had more in it, so I decided not to shift in 4th at the end of the run.

First time out ran 13.7 at 91mph (LOL) bouncing the car off the rev limiter for a couple hundred feet. I was damn determined not to shift.

I just prefer to compare cars by the actual time they put down, rather than the trap. That TA had a very nice suspension setup that allowed it to cut insane 60s, that shit counts in a race too :P

Deberg_1990
12-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Wow you're mad - No I have a company of my own. I own a business. I don't have to learn bitch - I'm too busy learning what REALLY matters, my job. I pay people to know - If you're too stupid to google, twin-turbo w/ JB4 stage 5 give you an immediate 100hp at the wheel - then the charge+down piping give you 40->45 more hp - then the e85 additive will give you even more boost, there is zero doubt I'd trap at what I'd mentioned, at least! maybe even 119 at a max - you can probably google the trap w/ that configuration.

I'm really sorry you're a fat miserable plumber or Jay's Truck driving school grad stuck in Marshall Missouri, with a fatassed wife that really sucks, I feel bad for you. Really, I do.

But don't be mad of my success in life, you'll get that dollar raise in another year or two, champ.

Wow, SR with the retaliation smack down post. Didn't know you had it in you kid? Bravo. Would read again

Tombstone RJ
12-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Total bullshit.

Days of 'break in' period are over. The prevailing thought of break-in time is left over from times when the machining processes used to make internal engine parts where not laser-micron perfect as they are now.

Used to be, there could be problems with ring sealing and other things because of tiny imperfections in your cylinder head. So, they would have you take it easy on the car so the components would literally scrub metal off of each other until the tolerances where in spec enough that the rings would seal perfectly. That is why there would be metal in the oil when you changed it on the first oil change.

Now, not only is the machining used to make the parts perfect, but the cars are tested at the factory, and dealer before you get them. So, when you get the car, any 'break in' is already done.

Let er rip.

Not sure I totally agree, I think it very much depends on the car. Many high performance car manufacturers use Mobil 1 "synthetic" oil as their factory oil because it allows some break in time for the engine, that is, it's not a 100% synthetic oil, it's a synthetic/conventional mix allowing the motor to more or less break in. Only after this break in time can you go to a fully synthetic oil, at least, this is my understanding. However, I do think you definitely need to follow factory directions when buying a brand new motor vehicle and if the manufacturer says "do this, don't do that..." Then buyer is responsible for following those directions.

Fairplay
12-28-2013, 04:53 PM

Thanks in advance...

Sic'em SR Sic'em

Donger
12-28-2013, 04:54 PM

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire3/0f0f3529a848c3f601b7a182a2c12bd11383627946_full.png

Buck
12-28-2013, 05:06 PM
65 to 100 in less than 3 seconds? In 6th?

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

Car threads on CP rule.

Sorry to ruin your fun Buck. I think you might still be a little excited about your new car and may be, um, a little off on your sub 3 second 65-100 pull.

I don't know what you're saying, but I was going down a pretty steep grade...I've never had any kind of car that went fast...it feels especially fun compared to the truck.

Buck
12-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Total bullshit.

Let er rip.

Cool. It sucks speed traps are in full force right now in SD.

DenverChief
12-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Dude, I like and respect you but good lord was this exchange dumb and I just can't let it go.

Vehicles in any given state depend on climate/demographic/pop. age/culture/progressive. You think it might be easier to find a Prius in the Bay area vs Oklahoma? Would you fly to Miami or Dallas if you were in the market for a F350? If you fancied a manual tranny would you go hunting in Scottsdale, AZ?

I mean Jesus, you are a gay man who has lived in Denver for how long? Have you noticed that this state is just a tad bit more progressive/liberal in everything and there may just be a few more TDI/Prius/Leafs (ha, Leaves?) in this state than say TX/MO?

I didn't think a TDI was quite as "exclusive" as a Prius or an F-350 duelly turbo diesel with semi exhaust

I figured it was a pretty standard VW vehicle that could easily be found at any VW dealership - apparently I was wrong sheesh - wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

MIAdragon
12-28-2013, 05:15 PM
I know what your saying here, but the time is what counts. In my stock WRX I ran 5 runs at 14.2/3/4@107/108. I knew the car had more in it, so I decided not to shift in 4th at the end of the run.

First time out ran 13.7 at 91mph (LOL) bouncing the car off the rev limiter for a couple hundred feet. I was damn determined not to shift.

I just prefer to compare cars by the actual time they put down, rather than the trap. That TA had a very nice suspension setup that allowed it to cut insane 60s, that shit counts in a race too :P

Times are just not consistent. Unless you run the cars on the same track on the same day and the same lane. I can run a 9.7 here in Fl with a neutral DA the run it in Denver at 7k and maybe break into the 10's. IMO traps are just as important if not more than ET when looking at a cars performance.

Your lower MPH didn't cause you a lower ET, id go with a better driver.

mlyonsd
12-28-2013, 05:17 PM
How long to people keep their cars? How many miles?

Mine currently have 220,000, 152,000, 110,000, and my wife gets to drive the new one with 38,000.

Just curious if you drive them into the ground or trade periodically.

MIAdragon
12-28-2013, 05:22 PM
How long to people keep their cars? How many miles?

Mine currently have 220,000, 152,000, 110,000, and my wife gets to drive the new one with 38,000.

Just curious if you drive them into the ground or trade periodically.

If I put 10k on a car it's a miracle.

mlyonsd
12-28-2013, 05:26 PM
If I put 10k on a car it's a miracle.How long is that in dog years? Short commute?

MIAdragon
12-28-2013, 05:35 PM
How long is that in dog years? Short commute?

Lmao, yes short commute. I get bored quickly, I've had 5 cars in the last year or so.

mlyonsd
12-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Lmao, yes short commute. I get bored quickly, I've had 5 cars in the last year or so.
Wow.

Tombstone RJ
12-28-2013, 05:38 PM
If I put 10k on a car it's a miracle.

So do you lease, rent or buy?

crispystl
12-28-2013, 05:39 PM

WTF? You buy em and trade them back?

hometeam
12-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Not sure I totally agree, I think it very much depends on the car. Many high performance car manufacturers use Mobil 1 "synthetic" oil as their factory oil because it allows some break in time for the engine, that is, it's not a 100% synthetic oil, it's a synthetic/conventional mix allowing the motor to more or less break in. Only after this break in time can you go to a fully synthetic oil, at least, this is my understanding. However, I do think you definitely need to follow factory directions when buying a brand new motor vehicle and if the manufacturer says "do this, don't do that..." Then buyer is responsible for following those directions.

I promise you, hometeam knows his shit on cars~ Modern cars need zero break in. Now, I cant say hand built, 200k super cars are not different from factory produced daily driver types.

It may be fair to mention that the Ford Focus ST, the exact car which he bought specifies a big fat zero mile break in period~

hometeam
12-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Times are just not consistent. Unless you run the cars on the same track on the same day and the same lane. I can run a 9.7 here in Fl with a neutral DA the run it in Denver at 7k and maybe break into the 10's. IMO traps are just as important if not more than ET when looking at a cars performance.

Your lower MPH didn't cause you a lower ET, id go with a better driver.

It was the fact I didn't lose time shifting into 4th at the end of the run. So for all intensive purposes, by not shifting there, and getting a better time out of it, I became a better driver~ (all of my runs where on the same track, same day, etc)

I was using an extreme example of trap speed not correlating to actual power of the car, as I am sure you can agree that trap speeds can be affected by track conditions/temps/elevation just the same as ET

COchief
12-28-2013, 05:43 PM

Hi sugar tits, I have held off in the past from lighting your moronic drug-addled ignorant ass up because I figured like most weak-willed addicts you had fried your brain to where nothing of value remains. Since you apparently are in the mood to remove all doubt today, allow me to facilitate:

Your car history contains exactly two models which would be deemed acceptable by any legitimate auto enthusiast. Hilariously, your wife apparently has more knowledge about vehicles than you do as the FXs are the best of the lot by a mile. The Armada/Q was one of the most laughable designs to shame the showroom floors since the Aztek. As a matter of fact, if you had just taken a few less crack hits it's possible you could have retained the capacity to do a 10 second search to see the Armada and it's deformed twin were even less reliable and a worse value than anything on the market and were universally panned and ridiculed by any and all auto publications (CR worst value 2013 woohoo!). You bought that piece of garbage, I'm assuming with no physcial coercion, 3 god damned times! Please tell us how much money you wiped your ass with on those three transactions, oh you're going to lie? No way, again already? The 335 is a legitimate contender, however maybe next time you can afford to add the little "x" or even maybe an "m" to it.

When I was making fun of your bullshit "HP at da wheels bro", I was referencing how the ricers used to do the exact same "mod-math" to spew similar claims online. They would look at their parts I/H/E (intake, header, exhuast) and add up the manufacturers "increase up to __ HP" and add the whole amounts, when in reality this was never the case. I know this as I actually read car magazines that tested the mods in real life. Does this at all seem familiar to you? Hint: 100hp tune, downpipe 50hp...etc. This is what's commonly know as "being an insufferable lying jerkoff" in the auto community.

Now for your claim of "I'm sure I'd trap at least blah blah" (you never trapped anything but that wombat you call wifey). No you wouldn't jerkoff. You see many different factors go into any 1/4 mile run. Reaction time, shift points, time between shifts, tires, altitude, humidity, temperature, and most importantly your launch. A moronic noob like yourself would probably mash the gas and dump the clutch and maybe start moving down the track after 3-4 seconds ticked off. You have no idea how to "feather" a clutch and probably think that when tires "hookup" it means they are making out in the back seat. I'd also bet dollars to donuts that whatever trap speed you stole that from was from an awd 335ix (the one you couldn't afford) and was probably someone familiar with the aforementioned factors, but most of all he probably actually knew about cars and drag racing them...unlike...well you know.

As your for your childish insults about my women/job/career. I have owned a very successful seasonal business for 8 years (I bought it before age 30) and have also maintained an extremely lucrative career as an SAP FICO contract consultant. Check around the job boards buddy, the rates start at $100 an hour plus expenses. 80% of fortune 500s use it as their ERP system, it is growing like gangbusters nationally and globally and will not stop anytime in the foreseeable future. I also am in my thirties but bang fitness models in their twenties and have posted proof on CP before.

In closing I would like to offer up my nutsack to you, please lick it long and lovingly as you do have a sterling reputation to maintain in that particular area of expertise and I don't want you to suffer any setbacks.

MIAdragon
12-28-2013, 05:47 PM
WTF? You buy em and trade them back?

Never buy new and never trade anything back to the dealer.

crispystl
12-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Never buy new and never trade anything back to the dealer.

Oh I see, sorry I misunderstood.

MIAdragon
12-28-2013, 05:56 PM
I promise you, hometeam knows his shit on cars~ Modern cars need zero break in. Now, I cant say hand built, 200k super cars are not different from factory produced daily driver types.

It may be fair to mention that the Ford Focus ST, the exact car which he bought specifies a big fat zero mile break in period~

I just had the motor in my CTS-V built. I was told to drop it in the car take it to 6K and let the motor come down on its on. Do that a few times to let the rings seat. Check for any smoke, if you're clear run it like to stole it. "Breaking in" motors (with roller cams anyway) are a thing of the past.

COchief
12-28-2013, 05:58 PM
I just had the motor in my CTS-V built. I was told to drop it in the car take it to 6K and let the motor come down on its on. Do that a few times to let the rings seat. Check for any smoke, if you're clear run it like to stole it. "Breaking in" motors (with roller cams anyway) are a thing of the past.

This man has my ultimate respect, wagon correct?

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Hi sugar tits, I have held off in the past from lighting your moronic drug-addled ignorant ass up because I figured like most weak-willed addicts you had fried your brain to where nothing of value remains. Since you apparently are in the mood to remove all doubt today, allow me to facilitate:

Your car history contains exactly two models which would be deemed acceptable by any legitimate auto enthusiast. Hilariously, your wife apparently has more knowledge about vehicles than you do as the FXs are the best of the lot by a mile. The Armada/Q was one of the most laughable designs to shame the showroom floors since the Aztek. As a matter of fact, if you had just taken a few less crack hits it's possible you could have retained the capacity to do a 10 second search to see the Armada and it's deformed twin were even less reliable and a worse value than anything on the market and were universally panned and ridiculed by any and all auto publications (CR worst value 2013 woohoo!). You bought that piece of garbage, I'm assuming with no physcial coercion, 3 god damned times! Please tell us how much money you wiped your ass with on those three transactions, oh you're going to lie? No way, again already? The 335 is a legitimate contender, however maybe next time you can afford to add the little "x" or even an maybe an "m" to it.

When I was making fun of your bullshit "HP at da wheels bro", I was referencing how the ricers used to do the exact same "mod-math" to spew similar claims online. They would look at their parts I/H/E (intake, header, exhuast) and add up the manufacturers "increase up to __ HP" and add the whole amounts, when in reality this was never the case. I know this as I actually read car magazines that tested the mods in real life. Does this at all seem familiar to you? Hint: 100hp tune, downpipe 50hp...etc. This is what's commonly know as "being an insufferable lying jerkoff" in the auto community.

Now for your claim of "I'm sure I'd trap at least blah blah" (you never trapped anything but that wombat you call wifey). No you wouldn't jerkoff. You see many different factors go into any 1/4 mile run. Reaction time, shift points, time between shifts, tires, altitude, humidity, temperature, and most importantly your launch. A moronic noob like yourself would probably mash the gas and dump the clutch and maybe start moving down the track after 3-4 seconds ticked off. You have no idea how to "feather" a clutch and probably think that when tires "hookup" it means they are making out in the back seat. I'd also bet dollars to donuts that whatever trap speed you stole that from was from an awd 335ix (the one you couldn't afford) and was probably someone familiar with the aforementioned factors, but most of all he probably actually knew about cars and drag racing them...unlike...well you know.

As your for your childish insults about my women/job/career. I have owned a very successful seasonal business for 8 years (I bought it before age 30) and have also maintained an extremely lucrative career as an SAP FICO contract consultant. Check around the job boards buddy, the rates start at $100 an hour plus expenses. 80% of fortune 500s use it as their ERP system, it is growing like gangbusters nationally and globally and will not stop anytime in the foreseeable future. I also am in my thirties but bang fitness models in their twenties and have posted proof on CP before.

In closing I would like to offer up my nutsack to you, please lick it long and lovingly as you do have a sterling reputation to maintain in that particular area of expertise and I don't want you to suffer any setbacks.

I still make more money than you and am better than you. It's obvious with your so called rebuttals and constant reminding yourself of just how cool you are, in your own mind, anyway. Please don't call me sugar tits - I like women not men - so stop w/ your hard on for me - I'm in my forties, my body is better than most 30 somethings, additionally - if i really want I can pull twenty somethings as well. But I don't like girls that young, personally. They giggle and talk about stupid shit - of course I'm sure you find that stimulating.

But again:

http://i.imgur.com/o242bpZ.gif

COchief
12-28-2013, 06:02 PM
So the retort from billy badass is "lol ur gay" and a Paris Hilton gif?

Thank you for conceding, you actually earned a little respect with that move.

MIAdragon
12-28-2013, 06:03 PM
It was the fact I didn't lose time shifting into 4th at the end of the run. So for all intensive purposes, by not shifting there, and getting a better time out of it, I became a better driver~ (all of my runs where on the same track, same day, etc)

Id love to see your 60's from those runs. I just cant see you picking up 1/2 sec from not shifting into 4th. I get staying in the powerband but it seems a tad extreme.

I was using an extreme example of trap speed not correlating to actual power of the car, as I am sure you can agree that trap speeds can be affected by track conditions/temps/elevation just the same as ET

Agree.

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm not buying your professional claims at all - not for a minute - I've seen you post and you're really just not that smart.

MIAdragon
12-28-2013, 06:05 PM
This man has my ultimate respect, wagon correct?

Love the wagons but sadly no, 2 sedans.

lewdog
12-28-2013, 06:05 PM
So Buck, where is that Chargers bumper sticker going?

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 06:06 PM
So the retort from billy badass is "lol ur gay" and a Paris Hilton gif?

Thank you for conceding, you actually earned a little respect with that move.

conceding - ninja please. You're an hourly employee - LOOK BRO that's not my fault. There's a world of opportunity out there - save your weekly checks and you can get our of that Renault.

COchief
12-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Love the wagons but sadly no, 2 sedans.

I have to adjust, one hair beneath "ultimate respect". :)

The shaggin wagons are definitely at the top of my dream car list, they are just so deliciously ridiculous. Plus man tranny. Sedans are awesome too, but my heart will forever belong to the wagon.

COchief
12-28-2013, 06:09 PM
conceding - ninja please. You're an hourly employee - LOOK BRO that's not my fault. There's a world of opportunity out there - save your weekly checks and you can get our of that Renault.

Dude, I put a lot of effort into that post, least you could do is read it.

Buck
12-28-2013, 06:12 PM
So Buck, where is that Chargers bumper sticker going?

Only regret in having a red car...Probably going to have to have a black bolt logo custom made for the back windshield.

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 06:20 PM
this COchief or whatever is a complete Psycho. Yikes.

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Now here's a guy that takes this board serious and if you're not a car expert then LOOK OUT - it's not his own insecurities - I promise, that's not the issue at all here.

COchief
12-28-2013, 06:23 PM
this COchief or whatever is a complete Psycho. Yikes.

Dude, you've posted something along these lines three times already. No one has agreed with you or defended you, maybe you should read into that.

The reason I never took you to task (your stupidity has pissed me off for years) was I figured it would be like beating up on a kindergartner. Like most things, I was right about that also.

Also, regarding my professional history or "claims" as you put it. Not everyone gets on the planet and lies about everything, just you and Bosschief buddy.

Anyong Bluth
12-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Without a doubt I'd go with the Volvo C30 T5 (with the turbo)

It's an absolute blast to drive. I had a brand new one for about a month as a loaner, and loved it.

One of my best friends is a total car snob, and I stopped by his place in Mission Hills, knowing that I was almost certain that he would make a joke about it, so I made a point of it to make sure he saw the car. Sure enough, he made some crack about it.

I just smiled, and said- here's the keys, I think you need to take it for a spin.

Half an hour later, he admitted he was totally wrong and eating crow. Just as I was totally surprised, he found it a total delight to drive because of the power it has in such a light body- and the way it's tuned still gets fabulous gas mileage.

The ride is smooth, responsive and actually you can get a bit thrown off by your actual rate of speed because it handles so well.

I remember merging onto the highway, and accelerating from the on ramp into traffic thinking I was probably going 80 as I was just trying to get over and avoid any cars coming up behind that were going fast as to merge without issue with the other flow of traffic. Then I looked down at the speedometer and I was going over 115+, and if I recall it was at one point going 124 but felt like I was just gliding along and the car gave no indication of the engine being pushed or much effort at that speed.

The damn thing is like an adult suped-up go cart.

DenverChief
12-28-2013, 06:37 PM

It's an absolute blast to drive. I had a brand new one for about a month as a loaner, and loved it.

One of my best friends is a total car snob, and I stopped by his place in Mission Hills, knowing that I was almost certain that he would make a joke about it, so I made a point of it to make sure he saw the car. Sure enough, he made some crack about it.

I just smiled, and said- here's the keys, I think you need to take it for a spin.

Half an hour later, he admitted he was totally wrong and eating crow. Just as I was totally surprised, he found it a total delight to drive because of the power it has in such a light body- and the way it's tuned still gets fabulous gas mileage.

The ride is smooth, responsive and actually you can get a bit thrown off by your actual rate of speed because it handles so well.

I remember merging onto the highway, and accelerating from the on ramp into traffic thinking I was probably going 80 as I was just trying to get over and avoid any cars coming up behind that were going fast as to merge without issue with the other flow of traffic. Then I looked down at the speedometer and I was going over 115+, and if I recall it was at one point going 124 but felt like I was just gliding along and the car gave no indication of the engine being pushed or much effort at that speed.

The damn thing is like an adult suped-up go cart.

Except that Volvo is pulling out of the American market - which would make servicing and repairs much more expensive than they already are

Simplicity
12-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Mazda RX8.

COchief
12-28-2013, 06:44 PM

That is sort of a cool niche vehicle, however it is exactly that, a unique niche car. Every model discussed in this thread is all that and more for less and more reliable and faster to boot.

I love the looks of them and see why you liked it, however it pales in comparison to the models being discussed. Also, personal annoyance with that model about the absolutely unnecessary tiny hatch gate. No reason whatsoever to not make the entire back portion lift up as is the case with virtually every other hatch on the market.

Love the look of it though.

COchief
12-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Mazda RX8.

If they had dropped the 2.3 turbo in there that very well may have been the perfect car, unfortunately the rotary nonsense screwed it from the get go. I have little doubt if they had dumped the 2.3 in that might be the best car of the 2000s to date, really screwed the pooch IMO with satisfying the rotaryheads instead.

I thought long and hard many times to try and justify buying one, but gallons of oil, shitty mpg, and a full engine rebuild every 60k miles sealed it's fate for me. Sort of an automotive tragedy if you ask me.

Simplicity
12-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Pfft, if they had dropped the 2.3 turbo in there that very well may have been the perfect car, unfortunately the rotary nonsense screwed it from the get go.

I thought long and hard many times to try and justify buying one, but gallons of oil, shitty mpg, and a full engine rebuild every 60k miles sealed it's fate for me. Sort of an automotive tragedy if you ask me.

Red lining it everyday is kinda fun, eh? ;) nawh I was thinking about getting one but decided on a ZR2 S-10 because I feel alot better with that 4x4 in the winter.

COchief
12-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Red lining it everyday is kinda fun, eh? ;) nawh I was thinking about getting one but decided on a ZR2 S-10 because I feel alot better with that 4x4 in the winter.

Twice early in the 2000s my purchase came down to 350z/RX8/S2000, I really wanted to try and justify the RX8 but with no need for a back seat the S2K stomped it handily in every category, plus 9k>8K for fun. :)

I have always had a bit of a love affair with the ZR2s, such a cool stance and model but never pulled the trigger and they're a little too far in the rear-view mirror for me now. Blazers looked badass especially but the PUs were cool too. Nice choice.

Simply Red
12-28-2013, 07:06 PM
here he is again! he's still at it folks. He's such a raw, hard ass gangster poster.

It must really mean a lot to you that I have nice things and don't know much about cars (admittedly.) - you're really a badass, I'm terrified.