PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 12

Rain Man
12-27-2013, 12:36 AM
The rules:

In Round 1, I'm going to put up the directions to find three randomly selected scenes in this thread: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...ght=sceneitall

You'll vote for your ONE favorite scene among the three. The key here is FAVORITE. We're not talking about the 'best' or 'most powerful' or 'most meaningful'. We're talking about the scene that you most enjoy watching, however you define that.

The winners will move on. I'll also take the 10 highest-scoring second-place scenes and they'll advance as wild cards.

Some of our nominations did not include clips. This will be noted. If you find a clip, please post it and let me know so I can update it if it moves on.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TKlub5vB9z8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N7iMP1tPg7I?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ioey-e-Idmk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
12-27-2013, 12:38 AM
My votes:

#1 - Singing in the Rain - Props to whoever nominated that one. I'd never seen it before, and those were some cool dance moves.

#2 - Commando - That was more of a line than a scene.

#3 - Trainspotting - That was pretty disgusting.

whoman69
12-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Pretty weak draw. I guess singing in the rain, even though that isn't even the iconic scene from that movie.

The dead tired line was stolen from an earlier Bond movie.

Mama Hip Rockets
12-27-2013, 09:51 AM
DEAD TIRED HAHAHAHA

Rain Man
12-27-2013, 10:55 AM
This is a battle, but I think if people watch the entire Singing in the Rain clip, it's an easy winner. I'm not a huge dance fan, but those guys are pretty darn good.

Pitt Gorilla
12-27-2013, 01:16 PM
This is a battle, but I think if people watch the entire Singing in the Rain clip, it's an easy winner. I'm not a huge dance fan, but those guys are pretty darn good.The problem is that there are much better scenes in that movie.

Rain Man
12-27-2013, 02:00 PM
The problem is that there are much better scenes in that movie.

I've never seen it, but maybe I should.

There's one other nominated scene in the tournament, but I would hope that this one could compete on its own merits against it competitors. It starts a little slow, but overall I find it much more enjoyable than the other two scenes. I think it may be getting a little short shrift just because styles of movies have changed so much since it was filmed.

Infidel Goat
12-27-2013, 02:15 PM
The link to the original thread isn't working for me. I checked Heat 11 and it had the same issue. Just thought Rain Man would want to know going forward...

Singing in the Rain was above the Mendoza line for me, so I voted for it this round.

Rain Man
12-27-2013, 03:55 PM
The link to the original thread isn't working for me. I checked Heat 11 and it had the same issue. Just thought Rain Man would want to know going forward...

Singing in the Rain was above the Mendoza line for me, so I voted for it this round.

Y'know, I was wondering about that. It doesn't seem to copy well for some reason, and I've just been copying the language from heat to heat. I'll probably delete it since I've figured out how to efficiently put the clips in each heat. Thanks for notifying me, though.

Rausch
12-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Spud's breakfast is THE reason we say "$#it the bed."

Literally...

Easy 6
12-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Trainspotting, i don't do musicals and Commando was cheese.

hometeam
12-27-2013, 04:12 PM
these scenes suck.

aaaaaaaaaand the voting public agrees with me~

Rausch
12-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Fucking n00bs...

Rain Man
12-27-2013, 04:14 PM
these scenes suck.

aaaaaaaaaand the voting public agrees with me~

It's kind of funny that the "no" vote is leading the poll. Maybe none of them should advance to the next round if none of them can beat the "no" vote.

Rausch
12-27-2013, 04:16 PM
It's kind of funny that the "no" vote is leading the poll. Maybe none of them should advance to the next round if none of them can beat the "no" vote.

:doh!:

Mama Hip Rockets
12-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Vote for Commando, you eediots!

Infidel Goat
12-28-2013, 03:18 PM

I think that should be the rule, fwiw. If you need an extra nominee for the contest take another with a high vote total that didn't place first in a better heat.

Rain Man
12-31-2013, 12:29 AM
Well, fiddlesticks. Trainspotting is in.

I figure I'll keep the system of letting the top scorer in, just to be consistent.

listopencil
12-31-2013, 01:01 AM
I've never seen it, but maybe I should.

There's one other nominated scene in the tournament, but I would hope that this one could compete on its own merits against it competitors. It starts a little slow, but overall I find it much more enjoyable than the other two scenes. I think it may be getting a little short shrift just because styles of movies have changed so much since it was filmed.

You should. Almost every time I see a man dance in a movie or on TV they really don't look manly to me. They almost always seem slightly effeminate. Gene Kelly doesn't. Here's an example of Judy Garland dancing with Gene Kelly. They are doing pretty much the same moves yet spindly little Garland appears feminine and Kelly masculine. It's hard to explain, just watch the video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xWryDF_yyH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
12-31-2013, 01:21 AM
You should. Almost every time I see a man dance in a movie or on TV they really don't look manly to me. They almost always seem slightly effeminate. Gene Kelly doesn't. Here's an example of Judy Garland dancing with Gene Kelly. They are doing pretty much the same moves yet spindly little Garland appears feminine and Kelly masculine. It's hard to explain, just watch the video:

Y'know, I was noticing the same thing about the nominated scene. In modern dances, the guys don't come across as ... guys. I don't mean that pejoratively, but there's something not masculine about most dances. When I watched the nominated scene, those fellows just seemed like a couple of everyday joes who were good at dancing. But I can't explain why, either.

listopencil
12-31-2013, 01:25 AM
Y'know, I was noticing the same thing about the nominated scene. In modern dances, the guys don't come across as ... guys. I don't mean that pejoratively, but there's something not masculine about most dances. When I watched the nominated scene, those fellows just seemed like a couple of everyday joes who were good at dancing. But I can't explain why, either.

Here is the iconic scene:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/D1ZYhVpdXbQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil
12-31-2013, 01:28 AM
In that performance he is evoking man at his goofiest, falling in love. And still looks like a guy dancing.