View Full Version : Football NFL admits Mannings 50th TD pass should not have counted

Deberg_1990
12-28-2013, 01:25 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10200749/nfl-admits-peyton-manning-td-pass-disallowed-houston-texans-coach-says

HOUSTON -- Upon further review, Denver quarterback Peyton Manning shouldn't have set the NFL record for touchdown passes in a season last weekend, Houston Texans interim coach Wade Phillips said Friday.

The NFL admitted an error on Peyton Manning's 50th touchdown pass of the season, but that doesn't change anything in the eyes of Broncos coach John Fox, writes Jeff Legwold. Blog

Phillips said the NFL informed the Texans that Broncos receiver Eric Decker's second touchdown catch from Manning on Sunday shouldn't have counted because Decker was juggling the ball.

Phillips acknowledged that the league's mea culpa wouldn't reverse Manning's record, but he couldn't help but get a dig in before he left.

"Poor Manning," Phillips said. "He thought he broke the record."

The fourth-quarter play tied the NFL mark of 50 touchdown passes in a season, set by the Patriots' Tom Brady in 2007. Manning later threw No. 51 against the Texans to break the mark.

Decker's catch was reviewed during the game and upheld, giving the Broncos a 30-13 lead with 6:57 left in the game. Phillips asked the NFL for clarification this week as he maintained Decker was juggling the ball.

"We did get some good news. Actually, it's bad news for Peyton Manning. ... I guess they're going to have to take that ball that they sent to the Hall of Fame back," Phillips said jokingly. "I feel bad for Peyton celebrating breaking the record and it really didn't happen.

"I guess they still count it, don't they?"

Decker said Phillips should just let it go, telling The Associated Press on Friday, "I caught it. This doesn't change anything. It's still a big catch for me and one I'll remember for a while."

Hammock Parties
12-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Manning will throw six touchdowns this week as a big fuck you to the league.

In58men
12-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Manning will throw six touchdowns this week as a big **** you to the league.

/thread

It'll happen

JoeyChuckles
12-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Asterisk.

J Diddy
12-28-2013, 02:05 PM
/thread

It'll happen

He needs to get his bad ass season out of the way in time to choke for the playoffs.

cosmo20002
12-28-2013, 02:25 PM
[checks video to make sure all of Brady's 50 TDs in 2007 were legit]

12-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Who cares?

Easy 6
12-28-2013, 02:44 PM
NFL also says Suck It Haters because Peyton ****ing Manning.

Bowser
12-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Bunch of fucking cheaters

Pasta Little Brioni
12-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Half of his scores are off illegal picks and push offs anyway

Easy 6
12-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Cant. Wait. for this mfer to win his gimme super bowl from the NFL and retire... then watch other teams pillage all of denvers talent as they try to rebuild with Osweiller.

THEN we'll see who's crowing and constantly coming in here with their passive aggressive bullshit... the numbers Hef will be crunching just wont add up the way he wants no matter how hard he tries, Mile High and Tombstone wont be so keen to stop by and get smart in their uniquely passive aggressive way... its gonna be beautiful.

GoChargers
12-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Half of his scores are off illegal picks and push offs anyway
This. That record was illegitimate long before #50.

Hell, the only reason these records keep getting broken is because Goodell is making the NFL a pussified, offense-only league anyway... Marino's '84 season is still the gold standard in my book.

GoChargers
12-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Cant. Wait. for this mfer to win his gimme super bowl from the NFL and retire...

Fivehead is such a choker that he'd find a way to lose the Super Bowl even if they blatantly rigged it for him SBXL-style.

Easy 6
12-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Fivehead is such a choker that he'd find a way to lose the Super Bowl even if they blatantly rigged it for him SBXL-style.

I'm calling it now... when they make it to the bowl, penalties will favor denver 3 to 1.

Lex Luthor
12-28-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm calling it now... when they make it to the bowl, penalties will favor denver 3 to 1.
If Denver manages to make it to the Super Bowl, they'll get crushed by either Seattle or San Francisco.

Or Carolina.

Dylan
12-29-2013, 02:14 AM
Phillips said the NFL informed the Texans that Broncos receiver Eric Decker's second touchdown catch from Manning on Sunday shouldn't have counted because Decker was juggling the ball.

Hahahaha. This is the same moron that tried to get the NFL to overturn an Osi sack so Ware could still lead the NFL East in sacks.

Always the loser, never the champion. That's Phillips in a nutshell.

laughsatyou907
12-29-2013, 11:39 AM
NFL refs are the most corrupt aspect of the game, they are the deciders of who wins or loses by shitty calls/or no calls. The US government should investigate for fraud. Every game I watched last week had refs blatantly favoring one team. It becomes more apparent when they schedule the divison rival games at the end of the season.

A Salt Weapon
12-29-2013, 11:57 AM
NFL refs are the most corrupt aspect of the game, they are the deciders of who wins or loses by shitty calls/or no calls. The US government should investigate for fraud. Every game I watched last week had refs blatantly favoring one team. It becomes more apparent when they schedule the divison rival games at the end of the season.

"Your choice to be a fan." - NFL

A Salt Weapon
12-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by laughsatyou907

Another Alaskan?

vailpass
12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Manning will throw six touchdowns this week as a big **** you to the league.

Heh. Good call GC.

displacedinMN
12-29-2013, 06:47 PM
NFL will admit SD fumbled and KC won

mikeyis4dcats.
12-30-2013, 08:52 AM
so....if this TD never happened would Peyton have been played long enough to still get the yardage record?

Mile High Mania
12-30-2013, 08:56 AM
so....if this TD never happened would Peyton have been played long enough to still get the yardage record?

Who cares... let's say that TD was called back, who says he wouldn't have thrown another one just after that or later in the game. Dwelling on that little item is pretty pointless to me, it's not like it was the only probably TD that shouldn't have been this season.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Who cares... let's say that TD was called back, who says he wouldn't have thrown another one just after that or later in the game. Dwelling on that little item is pretty pointless to me, it's not like it was the only probably TD that shouldn't have been this season.

just curious. I don't even know, was he benched as soon as he set the record or did it just happen that way?

Mile High Mania
12-30-2013, 08:59 AM
just curious. I don't even know, was he benched as soon as he set the record or did it just happen that way?

He hit that mark on the final pass for a TD as the first half came to a close... 31-0 at halftime and there was absolutely no reason for him to play in the 2H.