PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs No Surprise - Rat Face fired in Wash.

FRCDFED
12-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Black Monday has become an annual NFL tradition. The day after the regular season ends, teams looking for a fresh start clean house.

The action got started Sunday night, when Cleveland fired head coach Rob Chudzinski after one season, and Minnesota was the first team to act on Monday, firing Leslie Frazier. Houston was the only team to fire a coach during the season, when they let Gary Kubiak go on Dec. 6. There were reports this weekend that Penn State's Bill O'Brien was the leading candidate to take that job, although the Texans and O'Brien denied it is a done deal.

Many organizations are making wholesale changes on Monday. Here's the rundown:

Redskins fire Mike Shanahan: When the relationship between Shanahan, quarterback Robert Griffin III and owner Daniel Snyder became toxic, and in a very public manner, it was only a matter of time before the coach was gone.

Shanahan was fired on Monday, with about $7 million still owed on his contract. The Redskins were just 24-40 under Shanahan, and that wasn't good enough from a coach who was among the highest paid in sports.

“Redskins fans deserve a better result,” Snyder said in a statement. “We thank Mike for his efforts on behalf of the Redskins. We will focus on what it takes to build a winning team, and my pledge to this organization and to this community is to continue to commit the resources and talent necessary to put this team back in the playoffs.”

Read more about Shanahan's firing here.

Vikings fire Leslie Frazier: A year after taking the Vikings to the playoffs, Frazier was fired.

The Vikings went just 5-10-1 this season, and only 21-32-1 in three-plus seasons under Frazier. Frazier is known as a defensive coach, but the Vikings ranked 31st in the NFL in yards allowed.

Read more about Frazier's firing here.

Cowboys keeping Jason Garrett?: Garrett, one of the coaches on the hot seat after a third straight 8-8 season, still has the public support of owner Jerry Jones.

Jones said a few weeks ago that Garrett would be back. Then there were reports the Cowboys needed to make the playoffs to save Garrett's job. Even though Dallas didn't make the playoffs, Jones said after Sunday's game that he will "stand by," what he said when he supported Garrett, which would indicate the coach will be back another season. Some assistants, including defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, might not be safe, however.

Read more about Jones' public show of support for Garrett here.

Browns fire Rob Chudzinski: The Browns got a jump on things, not even waiting for Monday to fire Chudzinski, who lasted just one 4-12 season in Cleveland.

Albert Breer of NFL Network said that Chudzinski refused to cut a player over accountability issues a few weeks ago to send a message. Breer said that was a "breaking point." Breer identified quarterback Brandon Weeden and receiver Greg Little as two players who the front office didn't think were held accountable.

One name that has been brought up already as a possible replacement is Patriots offensive coordinator and former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, who is from the area. Browns GM Mike Lombardi has long had a fondness for Bill Belichick, and perhaps would want someone who is his from his coaching tree, even though McDaniels' tenure in Denver was a disaster.

TribalElder
12-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Shanarat
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/7431/ratfaceas9.jpg

cdcox
12-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Sniff.

jjchieffan
12-30-2013, 09:48 AM
McDanjels is in consideration for Cleveland?? Damn it's hard enough being a chiefs fan but it beats the bell out of rooting for that pathetic franchise.

Mile High Mania
12-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Another team should only hire him with 2 non-negotiables... (1) You're only the HC, not the GM or other VP of Operations type of title and (2) You cannot hire your son as the OC or any other position.

Mile High Mania
12-30-2013, 09:49 AM
McDanjels is in consideration for Cleveland?? Damn it's hard enough being a chiefs fan but it beats the bell out of rioting for that pathetic franchise.

Same thing with Josh - you would just be the HC, nothing else.

FRCDFED
12-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Exactly. Neither should be anything other than a HC. Coaches do that so they can "shop for the groceries" as Parcells would put it and to get paid more money. It has been proven countless times that having a coach/GM is not a formula for success.

If the owner does a good job then he/she will hire a GM and coach that can get along and both will have a say in the groceries because both should realize their job is on the line if they can't work together. Just ask that dumbass AJ Smith how being a dictator GM works out.

gblowfish
12-30-2013, 10:16 AM
I hope Washington hires Todd Haley. That would make me laugh.... a lot.

The Franchise
12-30-2013, 10:18 AM
I hope Washington hires Todd Haley. That would make me laugh.... a lot.

I don't. My Dad is a Redskins fan.

KCChiefsFan88
12-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Another team should only hire him with 2 non-negotiables... (1) You're only the HC, not the GM or other VP of Operations type of title and (2) You cannot hire your son as the OC or any other position.

And 3 you have to find a way to reincarnate John Elway circa 1997.

MTG#10
12-30-2013, 10:25 AM
I don't. My Dad is a Redskins fan.

Your dad is racist.

The Franchise
12-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Your dad is racist.

Thanks for that solid input. I'll inform my Dad. I'm sure he was unaware of his affliction.

GloryDayz
12-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Wow, a man who totally went from the top to the bottom. Ya have to wonder if Karma was at play....

Deberg_1990
12-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Exactly. Neither should be anything other than a HC. Coaches do that so they can "shop for the groceries" as Parcells would put it and to get paid more money. It has been proven countless times that having a coach/GM is not a formula for success.

If the owner does a good job then he/she will hire a GM and coach that can get along and both will have a say in the groceries because both should realize their job is on the line if they can't work together. Just ask that dumbass AJ Smith how being a dictator GM works out.

I think this attitude is mainly about ego. And of course more Money once you have built your reputation.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mile High Mania
12-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Wow, a man who totally went from the top to the bottom. Ya have to wonder if Karma was at play....

It's the Redskins - they're cursed with Snyder. And, in this era of the NFL, I just don't think that a HC needs to have all that power - it needs to be broken out.

Superturtle
12-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Feel kind of bad for Frazier. He really got the short end of the shit stick in Minnesota.

Showtime
12-30-2013, 10:39 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Greg Schiano and Mark Dominik have been fired!</p>&mdash; Jay Glazer (@JayGlazer) <a href="https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/statuses/417696310460817408">December 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Franchise
12-30-2013, 10:40 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Greg Schiano and Mark Dominik have been fired!</p>&mdash; Jay Glazer (@JayGlazer) <a href="https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/statuses/417696310460817408">December 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

PRAISE JESUS!

scho63
12-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Q

This is the THIRD thread already with the same firings-there was an official thread started for this-please merge MODS

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279950

Mile High Mania
12-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Sounds like the Vikings want to talk with both Del Rio and Gase (that one is kinda funny to me actually). Gase is likely just fodder here, they couldn't be serious.

The Franchise
12-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Sounds like the Vikings want to talk with both Del Rio and Gase (that one is kinda funny to me actually). Gase is likely just fodder here, they couldn't be serious.

Del Rio will be their next HC. History is a bitch.

Deberg_1990
12-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Heh, Del Rio taking full advantage of the Peyton Manning gravy train.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mile High Mania
12-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Part of me thinks that something crazy is going to happen in Dallas...

Jerry dumps his chosen one (JG) and brings in Shanahan. That's a "big headline" move and after the last decade for both of them, they'll sign up to be dancing partners. Shanahan likes Romo - wanted to sign him as an UFA back when Dallas originally got him, they both were QBs at Eastern Illinois. Dallas will then name Wade Phillips as the DC - again, connections there and crazier things have happened.

Then in the spring, when OAK drops McFadden - he gets signed up by Dallas.

Deberg_1990
12-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Yea, I can't imagine Jones hanging onto Garrett. Even though he's his "boy".

It just feels like its time again for Jones to make a big move and hire a big name coach.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
12-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Part of me thinks that something crazy is going to happen in Dallas...

Jerry dumps his chosen one (JG) and brings in Shanahan. That's a "big headline" move and after the last decade for both of them, they'll sign up to be dancing partners. Shanahan likes Romo - wanted to sign him as an UFA back when Dallas originally got him, they both were QBs at Eastern Illinois. Dallas will then name Wade Phillips as the DC - again, connections there and crazier things have happened.

Then in the spring, when OAK drops McFadden - he gets signed up by Dallas.

I'd love it. Just for the fact that everytime Jerry makes a move like this...it proves that he's a fucking idiot who doesn't know what he's doing.

GoChargers
12-30-2013, 11:02 AM

Preach! Gotta love seeing that cut-blocking cheater get fired.

Easy 6
12-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Feel kind of bad for Frazier. He really got the short end of the shit stick in Minnesota.

Same here, the record doesn't indicate some of the good, much more talented teams they beat with next to nothing at QB... he had freakin Matt Cassel looking pretty sharp more often than not, no small feat.

He deserved another year imo.

MTG#10
12-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Shanahan will be Tampa's next coach. He wouldn't have to go to the tanning salon anymore, I bet he'd sign cheap.

The Franchise
12-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Same here, the record doesn't indicate some of the good, much more talented teams they beat with next to nothing at QB... he had freakin Matt Cassel looking pretty sharp more often than not, no small feat.

No way. Frazier is the definition of a mediocre HC. He fucked up the QB situation long enough for that team.

RippedmyFlesh
12-30-2013, 11:20 AM

Unless Dallas opens up I think the vikings are the most talented team to have an opening. There are some pieces to work with.

Eleazar
12-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Unless Dallas opens up I think the vikings are the most talented team to have an opening. There are some pieces to work with.

No QB and no defense...

RippedmyFlesh
12-30-2013, 11:30 AM
No QB and no defense...

QB is usually and should be 1st thing a new regime does. AP would be a rookie qb's best friend.

Deberg_1990
12-30-2013, 11:33 AM

Detroit says hi!
Posted via Mobile Device

RippedmyFlesh
12-30-2013, 11:36 AM
Tampa Bay has a lot of talent for a new coach to work with. Williams healthy next year will help. Him and Jackson is a nice 1-2 punch. Add a good TE and they could be real good.

RippedmyFlesh
12-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Detroit says hi!
Posted via Mobile Device

Fools gold

Mile High Mania
12-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Shanahan and the Lions would be interesting.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
12-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Herm deserves a shot at GM before Tounces (Josh) gets another shot

mnchiefsguy
12-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Detroit would be interesting. They have a quality qb and a good offense. Their defense has talent, but has lacks any discipline whatsoever. The right coach there could starting winning very, very quickly.

FRCDFED
12-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Detroit would be interesting. They have a quality qb and a good offense. Their defense has talent, but has lacks any discipline whatsoever. The right coach there could starting winning very, very quickly.This. I don't think Shanahan would get the accolades he would seek there though. Considering any instant success would most likely be attributed to Schwartz. That team barely missed the playoffs.

Just Passin' By
12-30-2013, 12:55 PM
No way. Frazier is the definition of a mediocre HC. He ****ed up the QB situation long enough for that team.

Spielman drafting Christian Ponder is what fucked up that QB situation.

R8RFAN
12-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Shanarat never won anything without Elway

vailpass
12-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Imho he wanted out from under but waited to get canned for the $...

RippedmyFlesh
12-30-2013, 02:33 PM
This. I don't think Shanahan would get the accolades he would seek there though. Considering any instant success would most likely be attributed to Schwartz. That team barely missed the playoffs.

I agree instead of a team on the cusp shanahan would want to rebuild something from scratch. Look for the most hopeless situation.