PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Tony Gonzales...a Chief forever

InChiefsHeaven
12-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Per Clark Hunt anyway:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/30/4720826/team-ceo-clark-hunt-tony-gonzalez.html

I got no hate for the guy. He played the last 5 years of his career with the Falcons, but I think he'll always be remembered as a Chief.

Simply Red
12-31-2013, 08:13 AM
no offense ICH - but this guy can retire a Falcon at this point.

Old Dog
12-31-2013, 08:15 AM
Is he related to Tony Gonzalez?

In58men
12-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Is he related to Tony Gonzalez?

Interesting

Fire Me Boy!
12-31-2013, 08:17 AM
This is pretty cool of Blank, actually. Nice move.

At halftime, Falcons owner Arthur Blank presented him with a commemorative helmet — half Falcons, half Chiefs — and the Georgia Dome video board showed highlights of his career.

ptlyon
12-31-2013, 08:23 AM
This is pretty cool of Modell, actually. Nice move.

Yeah, nice offering.

He can put it up on the shelf of the Lombardi replica.

Lzen
12-31-2013, 08:25 AM
This is pretty cool of Modell, actually. Nice move.

:spock:

Fire Me Boy!
12-31-2013, 08:27 AM
:spock:

Yeah, meant Blank. Arthur Blank, Art Modell...

DaKCMan AP
12-31-2013, 08:27 AM
I find it very fitting that he forced his way out of kc, justifying it by claiming his desire to play for a championship. Not only did he fail, he ended his career on a disastrous season while kc is in the playoffs. Karma.

Steron
12-31-2013, 08:28 AM

Bah. He needs to retire a Chief. His best years were in KC. Outside of the douche move of dunking in Arrowhead as a Falcon, he's a class act.

FRCDFED
12-31-2013, 08:28 AM

This. Irregardless of his accomplishments as a Chief. There were several years IIRC that he had threatened to leave. He finally got his wish at a time when the Chiefs needed him to be a leader to all the new guys. It backfired on him.

TG was paid a lot of money in KC. We owe him nothing. That is all.

penguinz
12-31-2013, 08:34 AM
This. Irregardless of his accomplishments as a Chief. There were several years IIRC that he had threatened to leave. He finally got his wish at a time when the Chiefs needed him to be a leader to all the new guys. It backfired on him.

TG was paid a lot of money in KC. We owe him nothing. That is all.Why?

Steron
12-31-2013, 08:37 AM

TG was paid a lot of money in KC. We owe him nothing. That is all.

I would have wanted out too. KC was a dumpster fire at the time. I don't blame him one bit.

FRCDFED
12-31-2013, 08:42 AM
I would have wanted out too. KC was a dumpster fire at the time. I don't blame him one bit.

Many would have but he was KC's golden boy at the time. He was the one people looked to for veteran maturity and he shat the bed for perceived self-gain. The team had paid him well and made him the focal point of the offense. Basically catered to his every whim. His loyalty was only to himself. :grr:

Retire a Falcon.

FRCDFED
12-31-2013, 08:44 AM
To put it in perspective: He was basically the Albert Pujols of the NFL. Only TG managed to break the record whereas Pujols has no chance.

BullJunkandIron
12-31-2013, 08:44 AM
That trade worked out well for us. Tony and Jared can both enjoy watching us in the playoffs. I went through 2 and 12 in the 70's and I didn't leave the hallowed ground when the drawbridge was down. They deserve each other.

Lzen
12-31-2013, 09:04 AM
I find it very fitting that he forced his way out of kc, justifying it by claiming his desire to play for a championship. Not only did he fail, he ended his career on a disastrous season while kc is in the playoffs. Karma.

I know some Chiefs fans hold that against him but I don't. Can't blame the guy for wanting to try to get a title. It surely wasn't going to happen in KC (they were in rebuild mode at that time).

Steron
12-31-2013, 09:06 AM
I know some Chiefs fans hold that against him but I don't. Can't blame the guy for wanting to try to get a title. It surely wasn't going to happen in KC (they were in rebuild mode at that time).

+1

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-31-2013, 09:16 AM

Yep, And we sure could utilize his talent right now.

kepp
12-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Why?

Because he could care less.

InChiefsHeaven
12-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Yep, And we sure could utilize his talent right now.

This. I do wish he were here now...

InChiefsHeaven
12-31-2013, 09:28 AM
Wow. Post number 12k pining for Tony...

-King-
12-31-2013, 09:55 AM

This is true for all intensive purposes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bambi
12-31-2013, 09:56 AM
Damn this guy just keeps milkin it.

stevieray
12-31-2013, 09:57 AM
oh man, if he were in this offense this offseason?

MIAdragon
12-31-2013, 09:59 AM

LMAO

TribalElder
12-31-2013, 10:04 AM
If we did offer a 5th rounder for TG and the falcons didn't take it

ROFL @ them

they get nothing

htismaqe
12-31-2013, 10:06 AM
I don't begrudge Tony Gonzales for wanting out of KC and avoiding the ensuing shit fest.

At the same time, I does make me smile a little to have it once again confirmed that pastures aren't always greener...

Frosty
12-31-2013, 10:17 AM
That trade worked out well for us.

We essentially got a fullback for TonyG. Seems like we could have done a little better for a future HOF'er.

2bikemike
12-31-2013, 10:55 AM
I don't begrudge Tony Gonzales for wanting out of KC and avoiding the ensuing shit fest.

At the same time, I does make me smile a little to have it once again confirmed that pastures aren't always greener...

They certainly were last year! This year not so much.

Mosbonian
12-31-2013, 11:00 AM

I agree with you.....too many people hating on him for no reason. He put the first 12 years of his career in here in KC where there was never really any attempt to put a serious winner on the field.

People who are hating on him now are just doing it foolishly.

taterhog
01-02-2014, 08:08 AM
I agree with you.....too many people hating on him for no reason. He put the first 12 years of his career in here in KC where there was never really any attempt to put a serious winner on the field.

People who are hating on him now are just doing it foolishly.

I think fielding a 13-3 team, along with some other stout teams he was on, constitutes an attempt to put a winner on the field.

htismaqe
01-02-2014, 08:11 AM
They certainly were last year! This year not so much.

The Falcons have never really been a significant threat to win it all. They were built way too much like those late 90's Chiefs teams.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-02-2014, 08:12 AM

How fitting would it be for THIS to be our year?

That said, the cat missed 2 games in 17 years. An incredibly remarkable career, and the best to ever play the position. He spent the great majority of his time in KC. I'll always remember him as a great Chief.

Eleazar
01-02-2014, 08:18 AM
I don't blame Tony at all for wanting to leave. And he just didn't want to wait through another rebuild, he didn't even know how bad things were going to be with Pioli and all.

These guys are professionals who have their own goals, he's not from Kansas City or anything like that. He earned his place among the greatest of all time, and he just wanted to win a ring before he left. Can't say I would have felt any differently.

I won't consider him "a Chief" as much as I would have if he'd played his whole career here, but it's not really a negative.

Mosbonian
01-02-2014, 08:18 AM
I think fielding a 13-3 team, along with some other stout teams he was on, constitutes an attempt to put a winner on the field.

Watch much football?

htismaqe
01-02-2014, 08:21 AM
I don't blame Tony at all for wanting to leave. And he just didn't want to wait through another rebuild, he didn't even know how bad things were going to be with Pioli and all.

These guys are professionals who have their own goals, he's not from Kansas City or anything like that. He earned his place among the greatest of all time, and he just wanted to win a ring before he left. Can't say I would have felt any differently.

I won't consider him "a Chief" as much as I would have if he'd played his whole career here, but it's not really a negative.

It would be tempting to suggest that Tony could have waited through the rebuild. After all, it only ended up lasting 4 years. However, I'm sure he never envisioned still playing in 2013. He probably thought Atlanta had a 2 year window and he could hang it up after that.

UK_Chief
01-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Wow, those stats are unbelievable - almost no drop off in production even at the late stage of his career.

Bring him in for a look?

suzzer99
01-02-2014, 08:25 AM
I wonder if we'll sign him for an hour so he can retire a Chief?

htismaqe
01-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Wow, those stats are unbelievable - almost no drop off in production even at the late stage of his career.

Bring him in for a look?

Wish we could have gotten him before the trade deadline. This team would look a lot different with him at TE.

htismaqe
01-02-2014, 08:26 AM
I wonder if we'll sign him for an hour so he can retire a Chief?

I hope so.

Mosbonian
01-02-2014, 08:31 AM
It would be tempting to suggest that Tony could have waited through the rebuild. After all, it only ended up lasting 4 years. However, I'm sure he never envisioned still playing in 2013. He probably thought Atlanta had a 2 year window and he could hang it up after that.

Yeah, but it was a painful 4 years....and considering how we had trouble getting the football to any receiver much less a TE, I don't blame him leaving. And considering he wanted to have a chance to play in a Super Bowl before he retired, I can understand. KC wasn't anywhere near contending even for a Playoff spot and considering how badly we flame out every time, he probably thought he made the correct move.

I think you are right...he probably didn't envision playing in 2013, and was hoping coming back one more year that ATL might have it this year.

Mosbonian
01-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Wish we could have gotten him before the trade deadline. This team would look a lot different with him at TE.

Don't know if it would have translated into more wins, but it would give us a completely different look in the playoffs. The teams are going to stack the box against us to stop Charles, and if the Receivers don't get separation/catch the catchable balls it will be one and out.

With Gonzalez at least Smith would have a reliable "go-to" guy to make the LB's at least honor the pass and not crowd the line.

InChiefsHeaven
01-02-2014, 09:21 AM
TG on this team would be lethal. Absolutely lethal. He'd open up a bunch of things for this offense. Meh.

Hydrae
01-02-2014, 10:48 AM
If Tony had stayed here the last few years he wouldn't even be playing this year. The only reason he came back was to try for a ring. After going 2-14 there is no way he would have come back to this team this year.

Bowser
01-02-2014, 10:55 AM
If we did offer a 5th rounder for TG and the falcons didn't take it

ROFL @ them

they get nothing

I think they said they wouldn't take anything under a third for him. I understand trying to bolster your squad, but come on.

Gonzalez would not have survived under Pioli. The EotD would have demanded he took a pay cut or be traded to some shit team, most likely. That, or Tony just flat wouldn't have signed a new deal with us and retired a couple of years back.

htismaqe
01-02-2014, 10:57 AM
If Tony had stayed here the last few years he wouldn't even be playing this year. The only reason he came back was to try for a ring. After going 2-14 there is no way he would have come back to this team this year.

Exactly.

It's easy for us, in hindsight, to say he should have just waited it out. But it wasn't really that easy.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2014, 11:04 AM

And that's why I ultimately give zero fucks about Tony Gonzalez.

This is a guy that had no problem forcing his way out of KC, but when all it would've taken is a quiet conversation with Blank to get back here for a playoff run, he just kept saying he wanted to stay in Atlanta.

Tony could've made that happen easily. The Falcons are in the NFC and were spinning their wheels; Blank would've done TG a solid had he asked for it. But he didn't.

He wanted to leave. He didn't try to come back.

I was on the fence W/R/T Gonzalez for the most part. I didn't really begrudge him for wanting to leave, though I thought it was a little chickenshit. But once he didn't do anything to try to come back, he was truly dead to me.

To hell with the guy. I'm glad he went out a loser in a lost season.

Bwana
01-02-2014, 11:06 AM
This is pretty cool of Blank, actually. Nice move.

Blank has always been a class act, which is why I felt sorry for the guy when Vick fucked him over so bad.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Blank has always been a class act, which is why I felt sorry for the guy when Vick fucked him over so bad.

Agreed, Blank's among my favorite owners in the game.

Which is why I firmly believe he'd have sent Tony back to KC for the 5th had Tony just had a heart to heart with him.

ThaVirus
01-02-2014, 11:09 AM

Now we just have to bring home the championship.

LET'S DO THIS.

Bwana
01-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Oh and as far as Tony, screw him.

suzzer99
01-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Everyone knew the Chiefs were rebuilding when Tony G wanted out. We also weren't really making a serious effort to put a winner on the field in the years before that.

I don't blame Tony for wanting out one bit. None of you would stay in your jobs out of some kind of blind loyalty if you were in a bad situation. It seems irrationally homer to expect the same out of him.

crossbow
01-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Didn't Pioli start jacking with him and the other veterans right from the get-go? I can't blame him for moving on. Besides, we were able to draft a mediocre nickleback from that trade. Always a good deal to trade a "hall of fame" player for a backup scrub.

King_Chief_Fan
01-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Per Clark Hunt anyway:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/30/4720826/team-ceo-clark-hunt-tony-gonzalez.html

I got no hate for the guy. He played the last 5 years of his career with the Falcons, but I think he'll always be remembered as a Chief.

GONEzalez....that is all

Bowser
01-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Didn't Pioli start jacking with him and the other veterans right from the get-go? I can't blame him for moving on. Besides, we were able to draft a mediocre nickleback from that trade. Always a good deal to trade a "hall of fame" player for a backup scrub.

Rumor is that Tony wanted out basically after Herm's first year, but the Chiefs wouldn't budge. Pioli gave him his wish, but unfortunately got dick in return for him.

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Rumor is that Tony wanted out basically after Herm's first year, but the Chiefs wouldn't budge. Pioli gave him his wish, but unfortunately got dick in return for him.

If that were true then why did he sign a 5yr contract in January 2007 (Herm's first year was 2006).

HemiEd
01-02-2014, 11:36 AM

I agree. Suck it Tony.

The part that hurts as a Chiefs fan the most, is that they wasted the pick they got for him. If only it had turned out like the Jared Allen trade.

Bowser
01-02-2014, 12:02 PM
If that were true then why did he sign a 5yr contract in January 2007 (Herm's first year was 2006).

Good point. Maybe it was after Herm's 4-12 season, I dunno.

Carlota69
01-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Everyone knew the Chiefs were rebuilding when Tony G wanted out. We also weren't really making a serious effort to put a winner on the field in the years before that.

I don't blame Tony for wanting out one bit. None of you would stay in your jobs out of some kind of blind loyalty if you were in a bad situation. It seems irrationally homer to expect the same out of him.
Bingo. I dont blame him one bit for trying to get away from Scott Pioli. Obviously he knew something about what was to come that we didnt. And I wouldn't want to stay working for some dickhead if I had the chance to get out. Most people wouldnt if they had the opportunity, in any gig.

He said he would retire as a Chief, so I expect some sort of one day contract signing by next year.

L.A. Chieffan
01-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Greatest tight end in history and you guys act like he banged your mom and kicked your dog. Or vice versa

mikeyis4dcats.
01-02-2014, 12:44 PM
And that's why I ultimately give zero ****s about Tony Gonzalez.

This is a guy that had no problem forcing his way out of KC, but when all it would've taken is a quiet conversation with Blank to get back here for a playoff run, he just kept saying he wanted to stay in Atlanta.

Tony could've made that happen easily. The Falcons are in the NFC and were spinning their wheels; Blank would've done TG a solid had he asked for it. But he didn't.

He wanted to leave. He didn't try to come back.

I was on the fence W/R/T Gonzalez for the most part. I didn't really begrudge him for wanting to leave, though I thought it was a little chickenshit. But once he didn't do anything to try to come back, he was truly dead to me.

To hell with the guy. I'm glad he went out a loser in a lost season.

and if he'd have tried to get back here people would have said he was just chasing the ring and didn't deserve to come back. Personally, I think it took bigger balls for him to say you know what, I tried, and it didn't work out.

jettio
01-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Greatest tight end in history and you guys act like he banged your mom and kicked your dog. Or vice versa

Yeah, no kidding.

When Tony G. has his day of honor at Arrowhead, he will get a big tribute and ovation from the crowd.

There might be a small minority in the crowd who won't cheer because of the feelings expressed in this thread.

I wish chiefs planet had more of the people that would cheer the guy and less of the bitter crowd. Too many negative people make this website less worthwhile.

gblowfish
01-02-2014, 01:02 PM
He was a great player for us, always gave you everything he had, and he just didn't get the ring. Neither did other great players like Marino or Barry Sanders.

I wish him well and look forward to seeing him in Canton.

gosampel
01-02-2014, 01:13 PM
If he was a real Chief he would have stuck around with the painful yrs, ask your mom about your drunk ass dad