PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Jovan Belcher's family has filed a wrongful death suit against the Chiefs.

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-31-2013, 03:24 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jovan Belcher's family has filed a wrongful death suit against the Chiefs. More details soon at <a href="http://t.co/LpADkiUT2D">http://t.co/LpADkiUT2D</a>.</p>&mdash; Sam Mellinger (@mellinger) <a href="https://twitter.com/mellinger/statuses/418130240955613184">December 31, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/31/4723068/mother-of-former-chiefs-linebacker.html

Not sure how they win.

The Franchise
12-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Ummmm.....what? Are they going to claim that concussions caused this?

Sassy Squatch
12-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Well, we did suck pretty bad last year.

Simply Red
12-31-2013, 03:26 PM
Merika, lot's of legs for this - especially him being drunk and all.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
12-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Someone in the organization held the funnel in his mouth. While another poured down the hootch

BigMeatballDave
12-31-2013, 03:28 PM
:facepalm:

Hammock Parties
just file it against pioli

Donger
I thought the Chiefs had set up his kid for life or something?

Wow.

LoneWolf
12-31-2013, 03:29 PM
Nothing but an attempted money grab. They're hoping this gets settled before it goes to court.

Sometimes people's lack of any integrity pisses me off.

mcaj22
12-31-2013, 03:29 PM
i'm telling ya it's probably against/involving Fat Scott, I just said this in another thread. There is no other leg to stand on if that wasn't the case. (they probably dont have any, but the fact is, someone or some lawyer had to say, ya you maybe have something here to milk some money.)

Sassy Squatch
12-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Seriously though, who would even take on this case?

Simply Red
They're hoping this gets settled before it goes to court.

that's what I was thinking initially.

J Diddy
Ummmm.....what? Are they going to claim that concussions caused this?

I forgot that they exhumed the body. Don't know how a brain decomposing for a year underground is going to provide evidence for this. Furthermore, I don't know if they could prove concussions caused him to go fucking nuts that it happened with the Chiefs.

ptlyon
12-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Wait until they get my "Wrongful Team Suit" for never being in the SB in my lifetime.

blaise
12-31-2013, 03:32 PM
They're probably hoping the Chiefs scratch them a check to just drop it to make them go away.

CaliforniaChief
12-31-2013, 03:33 PM
:facepalm: Pathetic.

I feel for his family. But when is it ever the person's responsibility for what they did?

LoneWolf
12-31-2013, 03:34 PM

How many lawyers do you know?

siberian khatru
12-31-2013, 03:35 PM
Wait until they get my "Wrongful Team Suit" never being in the SB in my lifetime.

ROFL

"Pain and suffering, your honor."

blaise
12-31-2013, 03:36 PM
If the Chiefs could have diagnised him sooner he would have been able to shoot a lot more women.

LoneWolf
12-31-2013, 03:40 PM
I hope the family gets paid millions in a settlement and then the family of his girlfriend sues them for wrongful death.

gblowfish
12-31-2013, 03:41 PM
SUE EVERYONE!!!

DMAC
12-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Probably just easily manipulated people with a lawyer in their ear.

Fuck lawyers.

jd1020
12-31-2013, 03:43 PM
Seems like a pretty open and shut case.

Easy win for the family.

If you can drive a car and spill coffee on yourself because you put it between your legs and end up with 3rd degree burns, because you didn't have the common sense to know it was hot, and walk away with $3million, why not sue for your psycho son blowing his girls head off and committing suicide? It's clearly someone else's fault.

CaliforniaChief
12-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Honestly I hope the Chiefs countersue them. Sometimes you are in the wrong...and then there are times where you need to make an example out of someone to discourage other frivolous lawsuits.

Bowser
12-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Because free money, that's what's important here.

LoneWolf
12-31-2013, 03:45 PM

Easy win for the family.

Troll on, Trolly Trollerson.

Buehler445
12-31-2013, 03:51 PM
I thought they already did after they dug him up? Is this a different one or am I misremembering?

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-31-2013, 03:52 PM
I hope the family gets paid millions in a settlement and then the family of his girlfriend sues them for wrongful death.

This

alpha_omega
12-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Frankly, (and sadly) I am surprised it took this long.

BullJunkandIron
12-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Even if they got millions they would be broke in 3 months and kill themselves like junior did.

displacedinMN
12-31-2013, 04:06 PM
IMO. he may have had some senseibilities about him.

He did not harm many people,
The mother-in-law (think she was there), baby, the team, others on the road

Hate this crap.
Happy New Year

kstater
12-31-2013, 04:08 PM
They do know he shot himself right?

Baby Lee
12-31-2013, 04:12 PM

Easy win for the family.

If you can drive a car and spill coffee on yourself because you put it between your legs and end up with 3rd degree burns, because you didn't have the common sense to know it was hot, and walk away with $3million, why not sue for your psycho son blowing his girls head off and committing suicide? It's clearly someone else's fault.

Jesus, it's like stupid is like weeds, you can mow and mow and mow, and a week later, there's another shit-ton of stupid growing out the cracks of your sidewalk.

NinerDoug
12-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Hard to say if the suit has any merit without knowing more facts. What exactly are they saying the team did that was negligent? If they had some information about his condition but hid it from him, for example, and he kept playing and it got worse because of that, that would pretty clearly be negligent.

Causation is trickier, but I have no doubt they could find many experts who will say the condition is known to result in violence. Their burden of proof is 51%. It's not like they have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

jd1020
12-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Didn't he drive home intoxicated after the cops let him go?

TEX
12-31-2013, 04:24 PM
I think they tie in concussions and / or head injuries into it and see what sticks.

Bowser
12-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Didn't he drive home intoxicated after the cops let him go?

Yeah, but if he didn't play for the Chiefs, he wouldn't have driven there.

ping2000
12-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Chiefs could countersue for having to steam clean the parking lot.

Red Dawg
12-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Everyone wants a payday even after a tragedy. I guess they didn't get left much money.

Red Dawg
12-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Uh Mr. Hunt why exactly did you make Javon go bat shit crazy and become a murderer? Because it made me feel good.

As if we they can win this. Clark will crush them.

TimBone
12-31-2013, 04:47 PM

Easy win for the family.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pCkL9UlmCOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-31-2013, 04:49 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/31/4723068/mother-of-former-chiefs-linebacker.html

Updated

MTG#10
12-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Nothing wrong with that at all /houstonwhodat

jd1020
12-31-2013, 04:51 PM
The suit alleges that Belcher was exposed to “repetitive head trauma” and “suffered multiple concussive and subconcussive blows to the head which caused or contributed to cause a a constellation of neurologic/brain harms, including post concussion syndrome ... and traumatic brain injuries, such as Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE).”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/31/4723068/mother-of-former-chiefs-linebacker.html#storylink=cpy

Translation: He played football.

dirk digler
12-31-2013, 04:55 PM
If they can prove he was bullied to play and the Chiefs didn't do anything to help him they may have a chance.

jd1020
12-31-2013, 05:05 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pCkL9UlmCOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, I learned something new. She is even more dumb than I thought... wasn't even driving when she spilled it.

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-31-2013, 05:05 PM
According to the suit, former Chiefs general manger Scott Pioli and other Chiefs officials “engaged in mental abuse to ‘motivate’” Belcher to play through his injuries. The suit alleges that Belcher was told “he was just an accident, and they would get rid of him” — treatment the suit labels “constant bullying pressure and stress” that, coupled with Belcher’s concussion issues, “caused or contributed to cause (him) to become insane.”

scho63
12-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Probably just easily manipulated people with a lawyer in their ear.

**** lawyers.

This :clap:

Lonewolf Ed
12-31-2013, 05:22 PM
Well, it was wrongful what he did... but what that has to do with the Chiefs, I don't know. What the hell, try to wrest whatever dollars you can out of the organization! :shake:

Al Bundy
12-31-2013, 05:33 PM
Wait until they get my "Wrongful Team Suit" for never being in the SB in my lifetime.

You'd get the "You choose to be a fan" letter.

The Bad Guy
12-31-2013, 05:36 PM
The grounds for this lawsuit are pathetic.

He willingly played football. Collected paychecks and his daughter was set up for life because he played football.

Now the mother wants more. Fuck her.

Fat Elvis
12-31-2013, 05:36 PM
Dang straight it was wrongful death. If Pioli is still walking around, Belcher shot the wrong guy.

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-31-2013, 05:37 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Cynical thought on that lawsuit... The suit came from Belcher&#39;s mom who didn&#39;t get custody of Zoe, the daughter, who had the trust. Sad.</p>&mdash; Danny Parkins (@DannyParkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/DannyParkins/statuses/418157517282091008">December 31, 2013</a></blockquote>

LoneWolf
12-31-2013, 05:42 PM
Well, I learned something new. She is even more dumb than I though... wasn't even driving when she spilled it.

You are one stupid mother fucker. I studied this case in college and McDonalds was negligent in every way in this case. It's true that they didn't spill the coffee, but they served coffee way above acceptable temperatures, ignored previous complaints about people being burned, and initially ignored her requests to pay her medical bills.

Coach
12-31-2013, 05:45 PM
You are one stupid mother fucker. I studied this case in college and McDonalds was negligent in every way in this case. It's true that they didn't spill the coffee, but they served coffee way above acceptable temperatures, ignored previous complaints about people being burned, and initially ignored her requests to pay her medical bills.

Problem is, when does common sense come into play, as well as responsibility? Any common sense minded person would have to know that his/her coffee has to be hot....

Either way, I have no dog in this fight. I just don't agree with that thinking.

MTG#10
12-31-2013, 05:45 PM
<iframe title="Embedded Tweet" style="display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; padding: 0px; border-radius: 5px; margin: 10px 0px; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); -moz-border-top-colors: none; -moz-border-right-colors: none; -moz-border-bottom-colors: none; -moz-border-left-colors: none; border-image: none; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.15); position: static; visibility: visible;" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" width="500" frameborder="0" height="211"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
She didn't get paid and she angry!
<iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

jd1020
12-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Problem is, when does common sense come into play, as well as responsibility? Any common sense minded person would have to know that his/her coffee has to be hot....

Never /lawyers

What's negligent is taking a freshly brewed cup of coffee, putting it between your legs, taking the top off, and proceeding to spill it all over yourself and turn around and expect payment for your own stupidity. But it's America, so.....

NinerDoug
12-31-2013, 05:53 PM

Everyone knows coffee is hot. What I think most people don't realize is just how hot they serve it at some restaurants, and the damage it can do when something that hot spills on you.

Coffee comes out of your Mr. Coffee at home at one temp. Comes out of a drip coffee maker at many restaurants at the same temp.

Other restaurants, like in this case, super heat it, and it does much, much, more damage than most people would expect.

LoneWolf
12-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Everyone knows coffee is hot. What I think most people don't realize is just how hot they serve it at some restaurants, and the damage it can do when something that hot spills on you.

Coffee comes out of your Mr. Coffee at home at one temp. Comes out of a drip coffee maker at many restaurants at the same temp.

Other restaurants, like in this case, super heat it, and it does much, much, more damage than most people would expect.

Hey look, somebody who gets it.

Hydrae
12-31-2013, 05:59 PM

I will defer to LoneWolf since he has studied the case but I remember reading that McD intentionally made the coffee much hotter than normal so that it would still be hot for the customer when they arrived at their destination. Hot is one thing, hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns is another.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
12-31-2013, 06:01 PM
"Head trauma" is an interesting way to describe cocaine use

NinerDoug
12-31-2013, 06:01 PM

My daughter (at age 5) spilled hot tea on herself at Starbucks. (I blame my wife for that one). My wife immediately took off the shirt she had on and the skin came right off with it. Luckily only second degree burns, but you can still see a bit of the damage it did. It's no joke.

Fat Elvis
12-31-2013, 06:05 PM

Water at 120 degrees can cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns if left in contact with skin for a while. Water at 160 degrees can cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns if in contact with the skin for merely .5 seconds.

Easy 6
12-31-2013, 06:07 PM
I hope Clark fights this to the end and gives no settlement.

The guy had a screw loose, it was no ones fault.

NinerDoug
12-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Water at 120 degrees can cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns if left in contact with skin for a while. Water at 160 degrees can cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns if in contact with the skin for merely .5 seconds.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/health/how-hot-is-too-hot-for-your-morning-cup-of-joe%3F-we-put-your-favorites-to-the-test.

Seems like a lot of them serve it around 180. That is dangerous.

KcMizzou
12-31-2013, 06:13 PM
So, they're trying to add bullying to the concussion stuff. Way to hit on the hot button issues.

Such horse shit.

LoneWolf
12-31-2013, 06:15 PM
My daughter (at age 5) spilled hot tea on herself at Starbucks. (I blame my wife for that one). My wife immediately took off the shirt she had on and the skin came right off with it. Luckily only second degree burns, but you can still see a bit of the damage it did. It's no joke.

Sorry to hear that.

The McDonalds case was eye opening. The plaintiff's lawyer had the coffee temperatures checked at random McDonalds and found that some were serving coffee that was over 190 degrees. This incident was a perfect storm situation. The cup she received was filled to the very top and when she removed the lid some of the coffee splashed out hitting her legs. This caused her enough pain and panic that she spilled even more coffee in her reaction to being burned. She was wearing sweat pants which soaked up the coffee like a sponge and some of the coffee pooled in the bucket part of the seat. She was an elderly woman who wasn't able to get out of the car in a hurry and anyone who has a grandmother knows that their skin is thinner than a younger person's and more easily burned.

Initially, the woman was asking for McDonalds to turn the temperature down on their coffee, pay her medical bills, and pay for her recovery. If I remember correctly, the total she was seeking was around $25,000. McDonalds ****ed up by underestimating this woman and ignoring a problem they had with their coffee.

TimBone
12-31-2013, 06:18 PM

Sorry to hear it man, same thing happened to my son when he was just over a year old. It was with soup, though. It's a terrifying thing.

Phobia
12-31-2013, 06:23 PM
If, for some reason, Belcher's family is given $20,000,000 then that money should immediately be taken from them and given to Kasandra Perkins' family.

KCUnited
12-31-2013, 06:26 PM
Add Joe Horn and Tamarick Vanover to the list of ex-Chiefs suing the team for concussion related injuries. The NFL settled but this Missouri workers comp law has to have the Chiefs shitting themselves a little.

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news/two-former-kansas-city-chiefs-file-concussion-related-lawsuit-against-team

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - Two more former Kansas City Chiefs have filed a concussion-related lawsuit against the team due to injuries suffered while playing for the franchise.

Tamarick Vanover and Joseph (Joe) Horn claim they suffered post-conussion syndrome and other brain injuries related to their playing days with the Chiefs. In the petition, they claim the franchise minimized any concerns of a connection between concussions and serious health problems. In their petition, the pair compare the Chiefs' attitude about concussions to the tobacco industry and its products and health concerns.

Read the lawsuit (PDF) .

Vanover and Horn join 14 other former Chiefs in filing lawsuits against the team for concussion-related issues. Both Vanover and Horn played for the Chiefs in the late 1990s.

They are able to bring the lawsuit because between Aug. 31, 1987 and March 29, 1993, there was no collective bargaining agreement between players and the organization.

CrazyPhuD
12-31-2013, 06:31 PM
Add Joe Horn and Tamarick Vanover to the list of ex-Chiefs suing the team for concussion related injuries. The NFL settled but this Missouri workers comp law has to have the Chiefs shitting themselves a little.

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news/two-former-kansas-city-chiefs-file-concussion-related-lawsuit-against-team

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - Two more former Kansas City Chiefs have filed a concussion-related lawsuit against the team due to injuries suffered while playing for the franchise.

Tamarick Vanover and Joseph (Joe) Horn claim they suffered post-conussion syndrome and other brain injuries related to their playing days with the Chiefs. In the petition, they claim the franchise minimized any concerns of a connection between concussions and serious health problems. In their petition, the pair compare the Chiefs' attitude about concussions to the tobacco industry and its products and health concerns.

Read the lawsuit (PDF) .

Vanover and Horn join 14 other former Chiefs in filing lawsuits against the team for concussion-related issues. Both Vanover and Horn played for the Chiefs in the late 1990s.

They are able to bring the lawsuit because between Aug. 31, 1987 and March 29, 1993, there was no collective bargaining agreement between players and the organization.

:BS: Vanover is slow because he smoked too much pot rather than got hit in the head too much....

Easy 6
12-31-2013, 06:35 PM

Sonofabitch, that tea must've been ridiculously hot, what an awful thing for a kid her age.

BlackHelicopters
12-31-2013, 06:40 PM
MOAR free money.

Baby Lee
12-31-2013, 06:47 PM
Read the lawsuit (PDF) .

This is not a Work Comp claim, though the claimant offers no rationale why it shouldn't be. It is a state common law tort claim.

But all his attorney alleges is that the injuries didn't come from a single accident.

IRRELEVANT!!!

The question for WorkComp is whether the medical disability alleged arose in the course and scope of employment. Doesn't matter whether it was a single traumatic event or a cumulative degeneration. Years and years of precedent regarding carpal tunnel syndrome or lower back degeneration makes that pretty damn clear.

This complaint is going NOWHERE. Check in 6 months or so, and you'll find a dismissal, probably with prejudice.

Simply Red
12-31-2013, 06:50 PM

stopped after pics of that 79 year old.

KCUnited
12-31-2013, 06:56 PM
This is not a Work Comp claim, though the claimant offers no rationale why it shouldn't be.

All his attorney alleges is that the injuries didn't come from a single accident.

IRRELEVANT!!!

The question is whether the medical disability alleged arose in the course and scope of employment. Doesn't matter whether it was a single traumatic event or a cumulative degeneration. Years and years of precedent regarding carpal tunnel syndrome or lower back degeneration makes that pretty damn clear.

This complaint is going NOWHERE. Check in 6 months or so, and you'll find a dismissal, probably with prejudice.

Yeah, I'm admittedly going off of the lead attorney's (guy who fought the tobacco companies) interview on a local sports talk station. He made it seem like the NFL settled without having to disclose what and when they knew about concussions, but laws (I thought he said workers comp) in Missouri opened the Chiefs up to separate lawsuits that may force them to disclose what and when they knew about concussions. It all sounds like mumbo jumbo to me.

FloridaMan88
12-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Any former Chief that sues the team should get a lifetime ban from the franchise.

Take them out of the Ring of Honor (if they are in it), remove their records, prohibit them from entering team facilities, ban them from taking part in any team sponsored event, and make their legacy vanish.

kstater
12-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Any former Chief that sues the team should get a lifetime ban from the franchise.

Take them out of the Ring of Honor (if they are in it), remove their records, prohibit them from entering team facilities, ban them from taking part in any team sponsored event, and make their legacy vanish.

So you would fight a lawsuit that alleges coercion to playing by visibly punishing anyone whom goes against you?

hawkchief
12-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Nothing to see here - just more of the Obama-generation of folks looking for handouts. Really pathetic behavior.

FloridaMan88
12-31-2013, 07:04 PM
So you would fight a lawsuit that alleges coercion to playing by visibly punishing anyone whom goes against you?

It isn't coercion… it is doing what is right.

The former players and their families are trying to extort the Chiefs and use the franchise as their personal ATM.

There should be consequences for those actions.

FloridaMan88
12-31-2013, 07:08 PM
Another example of how pathetic the basis for the lawsuits are… the former players are claiming that Arrowhead's AstroTurf surface was an example of "wrongful conduct" on the Chiefs part.

A significant number of teams had AstroTurf during that era, but apparently only the Chiefs AstroTurf caused concussions.

Pathetic.

a pp roach
12-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Nothing to see here - just more of the Obama-generation of folks looking for handouts. Really pathetic behavior.

nothing says maturity quite like blaming something you disapprove of on billions of people whom you do not know.

Easy 6
12-31-2013, 07:22 PM
This is a big part of whats ruining pro football and causing all of these ass covering no contact rules.

IMO, these guys need to sign a waiver before signing any contract that absolves owners and the NFL from this kind of crap... basically a, are you sure you want to play pro football? caution, it may entail physical risk clause.

At the same time, the NFL needs to establish a fund or medical insurance program to help with guys who've been disabled or suffered some other malady that can be traced back to football... its the biggest sport in America by a mile and is SWIMMING in money, they CAN afford to help ex players who're suffering.

Players need to realize what they're getting into and owners need to stop being so damn greedy and be willing to set up a program.

-King-
12-31-2013, 07:27 PM

Yep. There were NO frivolous lawsuits before 2008!

mikey23545
12-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Sorry to hear that.

The McDonalds case was eye opening. The plaintiff's lawyer had the coffee temperatures checked at random McDonalds and found that some were serving coffee that was over 190 degrees. This incident was a perfect storm situation. The cup she received was filled to the very top and when she removed the lid some of the coffee splashed out hitting her legs. This caused her enough pain and panic that she spilled even more coffee in her reaction to being burned. She was wearing sweat pants which soaked up the coffee like a sponge and some of the coffee pooled in the bucket part of the seat. She was an elderly woman who wasn't able to get out of the car in a hurry and anyone who has a grandmother knows that their skin is thinner than a younger person's and more easily burned.

Initially, the woman was asking for McDonalds to turn the temperature down on their coffee, pay her medical bills, and pay for her recovery. If I remember correctly, the total she was seeking was around $25,000. McDonalds ****ed up by underestimating this woman and ignoring a problem they had with their coffee.

Yep, I'm so stupid I constantly put beverages I know to be hot between my legs and then take the top off.

I've had so many skin grafts I don't have any butt left at all, but I never have to worry about stuffing a pair of socks in the crotch of my pants before heading to the clubs because of all the built up scar tissue...

If I had realized the coffee was 180 degrees rather than 170 degrees I never would have put it there.

P.S. Why don't everyone of you lawyers pull a Belcher and make the world a much better place...

RINGLEADER
12-31-2013, 07:56 PM
The suit claims that Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel's handling of the Chiefs franchise contributed to the depression that firced him to kill his wife before killing himself.

suzzer99
12-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Sorry to hear that.

The woman had to have labial reconstructive surgery.

mikey23545
12-31-2013, 08:04 PM
The woman had to have labial reconstructive surgery.

I assume there was nothing they could do to raise her I.Q. above 40?

Baby Lee
12-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Yep, I'm so stupid I constantly put beverages I know to be hot between my legs and then take the top off.

I've had so many skin grafts I don't have any butt left at all, but I never have to worry about stuffing a pair of socks in the crotch of my pants before heading to the clubs because of all the built up scar tissue...

If I had realized the coffee was 180 degrees rather than 170 degrees I never would have put it there.

P.S. Why don't everyone of you lawyers pull a Belcher and make the world a much better place...

Which makes you pathetic life a little more bearable;

Pronouncing judgment on things you know nothing about?

or

Wishing death on people you don't know based on their occupation?

Pissant.

LoneWolf
12-31-2013, 08:08 PM

Read the case you self-righteous jackass. She wasn't trying to get rich and she had no intentions of taking them to court. McDonalds had hundreds of other complaints about people being burned and they chose to ignore them.

P.S. I'm not a lawyer. I'm also not an ignorant fuckhead like you.

ping2000
12-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Another example of how pathetic the basis for the lawsuits are… the former players are claiming that Arrowhead's AstroTurf surface was an example of "wrongful conduct" on the Chiefs part.

A significant number of teams had AstroTurf during that era, but apparently only the Chiefs AstroTurf caused concussions.

Pathetic.

I own a framed piece of the last AstroTurf field at Arrowhead. Got a headache last week. Coincidence? I think not. If only Johnny Cochran was still alive so I could sue.

dj56dt58
12-31-2013, 08:33 PM
Belcher was a linebacker..any concussions or head injuries were likely caused by him..

Easy 6
12-31-2013, 08:34 PM
McDonalds coffee, Starbucks tea?

There simply ISNT any good reason to keep shit that hot... if its hot enough to peel skin, its too ****ing hot and they should be liable.

gosampel
12-31-2013, 08:34 PM
He killed her under the influence so they are not going to win this unless the team is drinking during practice

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
12-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Read the case you self-righteous jackass. She wasn't trying to get rich and she had no intentions of taking them to court. McDonalds had hundreds of other complaints about people being burned and they chose to ignore them.

P.S. I'm not a lawyer. I'm also not an ignorant fuckhead like you.

Did you really read the case or did you just watch a documentary on HBO?

Edit: NM, saw your previous post

Dave Lane
12-31-2013, 09:14 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280063

tk13
12-31-2013, 09:15 PM
He killed her under the influence so they are not going to win this unless the team is drinking during practice

Well the way they played last year, it's entirely possible.

LoneWolf
12-31-2013, 09:48 PM
Well the way they played last year, it's entirely possible.

ROFL

TimBone
12-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Didn't that Houstonwhodat dude sue somebody over a minor fender bender or something?

digger
12-31-2013, 09:55 PM

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/i/partypictures/11_21_13/better-call-saul.jpg

Cannibal
12-31-2013, 09:59 PM
Sorry to hear that.

I have to assume she tried to open the cup to put cream and sugar in it. Given that it was filled to the brim and she's 80 years old and likely shaking and struggled to open it, it's obvious that the coffee would splash. Add to that the temperature of the coffee... and you have a perfect storm for injury. The lawsuit was legit despite people's crying about it.

htismaqe
12-31-2013, 10:55 PM

Pathetic.

Actually, the Chiefs case is being used as a model. If they are successful, even partially, you will see cases like this pop up in several cities.

This is "Plan B" after the first round of suits against the NFL itself didn't go well.

kc rush
12-31-2013, 10:57 PM
That turncoat Neil Smith has joined the others as well LINK (http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/31/4723175/neil-smith-joins-other-former.html)

Baby Lee
12-31-2013, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I'm admittedly going off of the lead attorney's (guy who fought the tobacco companies) interview on a local sports talk station. He made it seem like the NFL settled without having to disclose what and when they knew about concussions, but laws (I thought he said workers comp) in Missouri opened the Chiefs up to separate lawsuits that may force them to disclose what and when they knew about concussions. It all sounds like mumbo jumbo to me.

Actually, the Chiefs case is being used as a model. If they are successful, even partially, you will see cases like this pop up in several cities.

This is "Plan B" after the first round of suits against the NFL itself didn't go well.

Yeah, more to gather discovery and observe opposition tactics.

Just Passin' By
12-31-2013, 11:16 PM

You have to be an incredibly stupid human being to ride with coffee between your legs until it cools a bit.

McDonald's wasn't the problem. The coffee temp wasn't the problem, was within industry standards and was lower served at a lower temperature than what some other companies were serving theirs at. Other courts, including one in the UK, have thrown out similar cases.

The woman being an idiot was the problem, along with poor lawyering on the McDonald's side.

htismaqe
12-31-2013, 11:17 PM
Yeah, more to gather discovery and observe opposition tactics.

Yeah, it also happens to only cover the years between the strike and the start of the current era (1987-1993). There was no CBA, so the original suit they settled is not relevant.

This is a "feeler". Lots of dominos could potentially fall depending on how this goes.

Cannibal
12-31-2013, 11:17 PM
You have to be an incredibly stupid human being to ride with coffee between your legs until it cools a bit.

McDonald's wasn't the problem. The coffee temp wasn't the problem, was within industry standards and was lower served at a lower temperature than what some other companies were serving theirs at. Other courts, including one in the UK, have thrown out similar cases.

The woman being an idiot was the problem, along with poor lawyering on the McDonald's side.

You have failed to read the thread.

dirk digler
12-31-2013, 11:21 PM
Found this interesting and the reason why Belcher and other players are only suing the Chiefs. Loophole in Missouri law

“(Ken) McClain used a clause in Missouri law — set to expire at the end of this year — that makes it the only state in the union allowing players to sue their team for damages, as opposed to being required to sue the National Football League (http://www.bizjournals.com/profiles/company/us/ny/new_york/national_football_league/114598). McClain filed suit on behalf of five players who were with the Chiefs between 1987 and 1993: Alexander Cooper (http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/search/results?q=Alexander%20Cooper), Leonard Griffin (http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/search/results?q=Leonard%20Griffin), Christopher Martin (http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/search/results?q=Christopher%20Martin), Joseph Phillips (http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/search/results?q=Joseph%20Phillips) and Kevin Porter (http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/search/results?q=Kevin%20Porter). The lawsuit claims all five players suffer from post-concussion syndrome and latent brain disease, and suspected Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.”

Gravedigger
12-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Profiting off their deaths through a frivolous lawsuit? Sounds like America to me.

Just Passin' By
12-31-2013, 11:35 PM
You have failed to read the thread.

No, I haven't, and I followed the case closely.

Easy 6
12-31-2013, 11:43 PM

You're just wrong all over, what PRACTICAL need is there for McD's to have their coffee so hot it causes second degree burns?

Its impractical and unprofessional, my home brewer doesn't even approach that, why should a commercial brewer?

There is no reason, thank you that's what i thought... everyone knows a good cup of coffee is hot, but second degree burn hot, permanent disfigurement hot?

Cannibal
12-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Post pics of the old broads crotch. I looked them up. It's completely disgusting, like Walking Dead shit.

Cannibal
12-31-2013, 11:48 PM
Mickey D's lowered their coffee temp 10°F after the lawsuit.

tk13
12-31-2013, 11:54 PM
Post pics of the old broads crotch. I looked them up. It's completely disgusting, like Walking Dead shit.

Things I will not be doing this evening for $800, Alex.

Just Passin' By
12-31-2013, 11:56 PM
You're just wrong all over, what PRACTICAL need is there for McD's to have their coffee so hot it causes second degree burns?

Its impractical and unprofessional, my home brewer doesn't even approach that, why should a commercial brewer?

There is no reason, thank you that's what i thought... everyone knows a good cup of coffee is hot, but second degree burn hot, permanent disfigurement hot?

Taste and consumer preference.

And you can suffer burns at temperatures a lot lower than what that coffee was.

http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Research/Files/RestaurantScaldBurns.pdf

Miles
01-01-2014, 12:09 AM
It's amusing that even after all this time the McDonald's coffee case is still the go to when bitching about tort law when it wasn't at all frivolous litigation.

HonestChieffan
01-01-2014, 01:23 AM
Bottom feeders with bottom feeder lawyers. Fuck em

J Diddy
01-01-2014, 01:48 AM

I'm going to side with the "you know it's hot, how hot I don't know, but hot, so don't pour it on you" crowd

ILChief
01-01-2014, 09:17 AM
That turncoat Neil Smith has joined the others as well LINK (http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/31/4723175/neil-smith-joins-other-former.html)

Typical Bronco

displacedinMN
01-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately she may win

Korey Stringer

His wife sued everyone and their dog-There are vs Riddell for not preparing for heated conditions

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6844511/all-suits-korey-stringer-death-resolved

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-01-26-stringer-settlement_N.htm

But the one vs the Vikings was dismissed

http://brainerddispatch.com/stories/042603/ssp_0426030006.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2002/01/15/stringer_lawsuit_ap/

So all I can conclude it is a big cluster.

LoneWolf
01-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Unfortunately she may win

Korey Stringer

His wife sued everyone and their dog-There are vs Riddell for not preparing for heated conditions

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6844511/all-suits-korey-stringer-death-resolved

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-01-26-stringer-settlement_N.htm

But the one vs the Vikings was dismissed

http://brainerddispatch.com/stories/042603/ssp_0426030006.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2002/01/15/stringer_lawsuit_ap/

So all I can conclude it is a big cluster.

How is the Korey Stringer case which dealt with heat stroke relevant to the Belcher case?

displacedinMN
01-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Stringer sued for negligence.
A way to get money from someone.

Just trying to say this has some possibilities.

Eleazar
01-01-2014, 10:30 AM
ROFL

"Pain and suffering, your honor."

Plenty of mental anguish for me, that's for sure

Cmd'r&Chief
01-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Something on CNN about this

Cmd'r&Chief
01-01-2014, 03:20 PM
The family is claiming the situation was a result of concussions. And that the chiefs knew about the concussions, but made Belcher play anyways.

Give me a Fucking break. At least with Seau, it was just a suicide. But Belcher Fucking killed somebody. Took a little girl's mother away. And Belcher's family is looking for a hand out?

Go fuck yourself you stupid bitch. This obviously helps explain Belcher's actions had a lot to do with the way he was raised. Instead of facing life's problems, the Belchers try to take the easy way out.

InChiefsHeaven
01-01-2014, 03:45 PM
I hope the Chiefs fight this. You can't let people get away with this frivolous shit...

SAUTO
01-01-2014, 04:05 PM

yep. absolutely mind boggling how bad she was burnt...

Chiefshrink
01-01-2014, 06:06 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jovan Belcher's family has filed a wrongful death suit against the Chiefs. More details soon at <a href="http://t.co/LpADkiUT2D">http://t.co/LpADkiUT2D</a>.</p>&mdash; Sam Mellinger (@mellinger) <a href="https://twitter.com/mellinger/statuses/418130240955613184">December 31, 2013</a></blockquote>

Not sure how they win.

What a shocker ???? :shrug:

Hell look at how much Kory Stringer's family received. You do realize it was the NFL's responsibility to make sure Kory drank plenty of fluids prior to every practice and Kory had no prior information from the Vikings that he should drink plenty of fluids before every practice, however, it was the Vikings responsibility to physically administer these fluids to him because Kory had no responsibility whatsoever to do this.:rolleyes:

Not sure how they win ??? You want to see how corrupt our society and legal system have become ? Just watch. Oh btw, it helps immensely Jovan was black.

Bottom Line: Wherever the $$, will also be the lawyers and especially if you are minority or a woman/women.

Chiefshrink
01-01-2014, 06:11 PM
The family is claiming the situation was a result of concussions. And that the chiefs knew about the concussions, but made Belcher play anyways.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

The Family and Ambulance chaser: But, but,but,but....."Hey, look at what happened to Junior Seau !!!

The NFL: With all due respect your son was no Junior Seau.:D

Cmd'r&Chief
01-01-2014, 06:13 PM
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

The Family and Ambulance chaser: But, but,but,but....."Hey, look at what happened to Junior Seau !!!

The NFL: With all due respect your son was no Junior Seau.:D

And Seau didn't murder anybody. They aren't going to award shit to a murderer

Chiefshrink
01-01-2014, 06:30 PM
And Seau didn't murder anybody. They aren't going to award shit to a murderer

The Family and Ambulance chaser: "But,but,but,but the NFL caused Jovan to murder because they forced him to play !!

The leap of lunacy is never too far and looney IF you can COLLECT !!!

A MANTRA followed by ALL Ambulance Chasers for sure especially when you represent a minority or woman/women !!!

FloridaMan88
01-01-2014, 07:14 PM
I hope the Chiefs countersue Belcher's family and bankrupt them into oblivion.

GloryDayz
01-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Well this sure let's us all know who the money-whore in-law was, doesn't it? What a bitch!

NinerDoug
01-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Sonofabitch, that tea must've been ridiculously hot, what an awful thing for a kid her age.

It was awful. She called me right after it happened and I could hear my daughter screaming in the background. It was bad.

Al Czervik
01-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Think Old lady Belcher sues if she was awarded custody of Zoey???
Fuck no.....As usual, just another wart on society looking for a handout.

I hope the Chiefs tell her and her scumbag lawyer to FO

tmh
01-03-2014, 05:00 PM
If they win ticket prices will reflect it the following year for sure. The org has insurance for this kind of thing, but this with the other two lawsuits equal insurance rate oblivion for Clark.

I figure two years you will see a dramatic uptick in ticket prices, more than simple inflation could justify

GloryDayz
01-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Come to think of it, I hope Belcher's mother, and the other players whip are suing the Chefs win every dime they're asking for. I hope they take every dime they can from the Chefs. I know Chunt's fortune is protected, as will the NFL find a way ti shed any blame, but if this rips into the Chefs savings, holdings, and profit......that would be great. Maybe they'll move to L.A....

No, Im not over it yet. I hope I make it onto the jury since Im a Jackson county resident!

WhiteWhale
01-12-2014, 03:50 PM
What a shocker ???? :shrug:

Hell look at how much Kory Stringer's family received. You do realize it was the NFL's responsibility to make sure Kory drank plenty of fluids prior to every practice and Kory had no prior information from the Vikings that he should drink plenty of fluids before every practice, however, it was the Vikings responsibility to physically administer these fluids to him because Kory had no responsibility whatsoever to do this.:rolleyes:

Not sure how they win ??? You want to see how corrupt our society and legal system have become ? Just watch. Oh btw, it helps immensely Jovan was black.

Bottom Line: Wherever the $$, will also be the lawyers and especially if you are minority or a woman/women.

Drinking fluids won't, alone, prevent heat stroke...which he died of.

Heat stroke is not dehydration. They're different things.

If you're going to be an asshole, don't be ignorant. This country already has too many indignant pricks who don't know what the **** they're talking about.

BigMeatballDave
01-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Come to think of it, I hope Belcher's mother, and the other players whip are suing the Chefs win every dime they're asking for. I hope they take every dime they can from the Chefs. I know Chunt's fortune is protected, as will the NFL find a way ti shed any blame, but if this rips into the Chefs savings, holdings, and profit......that would be great. Maybe they'll move to L.A....

No, Im not over it yet. I hope I make it onto the jury since Im a Jackson county resident!I can see your vagina.

WhiteWhale
01-12-2014, 03:55 PM
The Family and Ambulance chaser: "But,but,but,but the NFL caused Jovan to murder because they forced him to play !!

The leap of lunacy is never too far and looney IF you can COLLECT !!!

A MANTRA followed by ALL Ambulance Chasers for sure especially when you represent a minority or woman/women !!!

Life is so hard for us white males age 18-49. I don't know how we survive.

GloryDayz
01-12-2014, 04:24 PM
I can see your vagina.

LOL, fuck off!

And I'm just saying what I feel, and I hope they all sue the fucking SHIT out of this team, and win! Hurt cHunt in the one area he cares about and I'm sure he'll react, so I say go for it lady, sue the shit out of him!!! Yep, the Chefs antics and inactions lead to him going nuts! I'm there! Sue the panties of the cHunts wife and make him turn her into a street walker - the Hunt family deserves it all!

tboss27
01-12-2014, 04:38 PM
I hope the Chiefs countersue Belcher's family and bankrupt them into oblivion.

I work with a lot of clients as an auditor and on nearly every single one they have ongoing complaints from former employees or even current ones about discrimination, other bull crap that doesn't exist. And nearly all of them settle for a few thousand dollars, it's easier to pay that than have the lawyer fees. Makes me mad as hell to see the way our legal system work. Unfortunately, very few ever sue back. Not much to gain, in most cases there are no resources to be had and once again the result is more lawyer fees.

The Belcher family obviously should have some money from Jovan's playing time, but it would create a PR nightmare if it came out that the Chiefs are suing the family of a former player who has an orphaned child. Not exactly a win for the Chiefs, even if they were to win a counter suit.

GloryDayz
01-12-2014, 05:30 PM
I work with a lot of clients as an auditor and on nearly every single one they have ongoing complaints from former employees or even current ones about discrimination, other bull crap that doesn't exist. And nearly all of them settle for a few thousand dollars, it's easier to pay that than have the lawyer fees. Makes me mad as hell to see the way our legal system work. Unfortunately, very few ever sue back. Not much to gain, in most cases there are no resources to be had and once again the result is more lawyer fees.

The Belcher family obviously should have some money from Jovan's playing time, but it would create a PR nightmare if it came out that the Chiefs are suing the family of a former player who has an orphaned child. Not exactly a win for the Chiefs, even if they were to win a counter suit.

Fuck it, this team is lucky that so many people settle. The franchise's "family" are a textbook story of American corporate greed, smuttiness and whore-mongering; they deserve to have the whole family dragged through a pig cesspool of legal issues and exposed for what they really are. Sluts of the highest order!

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
01-12-2014, 05:42 PM
I'm not reading through the thread, but the lawsuit carries substantial undertones that Belcher's kid isn't his....

GloryDayz
01-12-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm not reading through the thread, but the lawsuit carries substantial undertones that Belcher's kid isn't his....

Don't care, just sue the fucks anyway!

Chiefaholic
01-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Don't care, just sue the ****s anyway!

Just shut the **** up with your immature and ignorant act. However, if your previous posts aren't an act, then please off yourself and do society a favor.

GloryDayz
01-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Just shut the **** up with your immature and ignorant act. However, if your previous posts aren't an act, then please off yourself and do society a favor.

..!.. Fuck off...

It's time to ramp up the pressure on the fucking Hunt family. If this is what it takes, so be it...

GO MRS. BELCHER (and the former players)!!!! Fuck Clark with a financial phone pole and shove it deep!

Now, if Clark wants to publicly take Fat-Andy to task for coming to Sutton's defense so quickly (and with no apparent reason for doing so - like throwing certain players under the bus as to why Sutton was SOOOOOO handicapped), then fuck him, and all his minions!

I'm over it Pal!! I want the Chiefs to be the meanest, juicingest, cheatingest and any other "whatever it takes to win" team it takes to bring a championship to this city. I don't care what happens after the fact, I want a champion!

If you don't, LOL!

Chiefaholic
01-12-2014, 10:01 PM
..!.. **** off...

It's time to ramp up the pressure on the ****ing Hunt family. If this is what it takes, so be it...

GO MRS. BELCHER (and the former players)!!!! **** Clark with a financial phone pole and shove it deep!

Now, if Clark wants to publicly take Fat-Andy to task for coming to Sutton's defense so quickly (and with no apparent reason for doing so - like throwing certain players under the bus as to why Sutton was SOOOOOO handicapped), then **** him, and all his minions!

I'm over it Pal!! I want the Chiefs to be the meanest, juicingest, cheatingest and any other "whatever it takes to win" team it takes to bring a championship to this city. I don't care what happens after the fact, I want a champion!

If you don't, LOL!

This post doesn't make you look any more intelligent then your previous five. I want the Chiefs to win more than anybody else on this site. However, I prefer NOT to look like the village idiot in the process of rooting for my team. Good luck keeping up with Claynus in the up and coming months.

GloryDayz
01-12-2014, 10:14 PM
This post doesn't make you look any more intelligent then your previous five. I want the Chiefs to win more than anybody else on this site. However, I prefer NOT to look like the village idiot in the process of rooting for my team. Good luck keeping up with Claynus in the up and coming months.

Yeah, the Chefs count on blind loyalty like yours! You moron! You may be OK with the way things are going (and by sucking their dicks you are!), but I'm not. I plan to do my little part to raise awareness of how fucking stupid this franchise is, and force them to do what they don't want, to win!

Way to take the "high road" kid.. Some run into the battle, some run away from it, I guess you're running away from it.

Chiefaholic
01-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Yeah, the Chefs count on blind loyalty like yours! You moron! You may be OK with the way things are going (and by sucking their dicks you are!), but I'm not. I plan to do my little part to raise awareness of how ****ing stupid this franchise is, and force them to do what they don't want, to win!

Way to take the "high road" kid.. Some run into the battle, some run away from it, I guess you're running away from it.

The back of my mind says your baiting me, because you can't be this ******* stupid. But, just for shits and grins, what are YOU going to do to "force them to do what they don't want". Good luck with your plan, be sure to let us know how that works out for you.

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2014, 11:05 PM
To the banner plane!

TimBone
01-13-2014, 12:10 AM
lol....There are not enough facepalm images on the Internet for GloryDayz posts in this thread.

GloryDayz
01-13-2014, 07:49 AM
lol....There are not enough facepalm images on the Internet for GloryDayz posts in this thread.

LMAOLMAOLMAO