PDA

View Full Version : Life *.* 2014 General Fitness Thread *.*

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

penguinz
01-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Welcome to 2014! Now get your ass in top physical condition!

No one else started it so here it is!

**From the 2013 Thread**

If you want to get back into lifting, or need a new lifting routine, START HERE:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs)

If you have questions about the SS programs, look here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Keep in mind that you're a novice lifter for a longer period of time than you think you are. Novice lifting can last anywhere from a few months to a year or two, depending on how hard you hit the weights and where you started.

Once you've reached the point where you don't make regular progress on the SS program, you are ready to move on to the intermediate stage, which can last you for a good number of years. Find it HERE:

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

If you're a very advanced lifter (many, many years of CONSISTENT weight training), then there are lot of programs out there, and which one you pick is simply a matter of preference. If you're really that advanced, you should know what works for you and what doesn't by this point.

Silock
01-01-2014, 07:42 PM
DEJA VU, MAN. DEJA VU!

Hammock Parties
01-01-2014, 07:43 PM
+10 lbs on my lifts this morning.

Leveling up.

Braincase
01-01-2014, 07:44 PM
I have to do something.

Funny thing... with my wife's illness and surgery (doing pretty well, thanks), she's down to where she was when we got married 18 years ago.

It's a good kind of weird lying in bed next to her and putting my arms around a much smaller woman.

Demonpenz
01-01-2014, 07:49 PM
It is always good to get endorphies going as well

Hammock Parties
01-01-2014, 07:50 PM
I have to do something.

Eat less, move more.

TribalElder
01-01-2014, 07:51 PM
I should participate moar

lewdog
01-01-2014, 07:59 PM
My hamstring injury is still lingering.....

Demonpenz
01-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Used to lift in "the Hell" when I was younger. I was back to the place to lift a bit today.

penguinz
01-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Used to lift in "the Hell" when I was younger. I was back to the place to lift a bit today.WTF is that? I am going to have nightmares now.

BigCatDaddy
01-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Starting keto Monday. Must not look at scale.

penguinz
01-01-2014, 08:05 PM
I hope to get back to the gym on monday. Been sick twice in the last two weeks and the week before that was a planned off week. :(

Demonpenz
01-01-2014, 08:05 PM
WTF is that? I am going to have nightmares now.

cold ass prison with weights

BigCatDaddy
01-01-2014, 08:06 PM
WTF is that? I am going to have nightmares now.

The G unit

lewdog
01-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Starting keto Monday. Must not look at scale.

Why are you doing this? Competition?

Do your lifts suffer without carbs or do you work in refeed days?

BigCatDaddy
01-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Why are you doing this? Competition?

Do your lifts suffer without carbs or do you work in refeed days?

I just want to give it a shot and see what happens for now. I've never really done it before. I've heard both ways on the lifts. There is a great thread on pro hormone forum by one of Patrick Arnold's reps that has a ton of info. I'll link it later.

Demonpenz
01-01-2014, 08:24 PM
My lifts were good low carb, I do sleep a ton though.

BigCatDaddy
01-01-2014, 08:26 PM

The guy was setting pr's on keto.

lewdog
01-01-2014, 08:29 PM
I just want to give it a shot and see what happens for now. I've never really done it before. I've heard both ways on the lifts. There is a great thread on pro hormone forum by one of Patrick Arnold's reps that has a ton of info. I'll link it later.

Well I do think it matters if you're "assisted" with being able to extend the low carbs and keep lifts up without refeeds or needing less of them.

lewdog
01-01-2014, 08:30 PM

Well it does matter how advanced a lifter you are. Newer lifter are able to keto longer and keep lifts up much easier than advanced lifters who are scrapping for 5-10lb strength gains over 4-8 week periods.

BigCatDaddy
01-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Well I do think it matters if you're "assisted" with being able to extend the low carbs and keep lifts up without refeeds or needing less of them.

Lol. Yeah I'm sure it does. I'll post up how it's going every few weeks. Maybe some pics just for you ;)

Silock
01-02-2014, 12:01 AM
Well, when the reps are lower, you also don't need carbs as much (or at all, really).

I'm deloading this week. Shoulder is a bit fucked up right now, so I want to give it a break. I set some PRs last week, anyway. Right knee MCL is still strained, so I bought a brace. We'll see if it helps when I play tomorrow night. If not, I may be looking at some extended time off.

Aspengc8
01-02-2014, 08:00 AM

Low Carb =/= keto. I did keto once, never again. Lost some strength and just looked flat as hell overall. Now I just take in carbs pre & post workout only. I have heard that keto works well if you just after purely strength and are working in the 80-90% 1rm rep range. Not sure why anyone who is serious about building muscle would try to avoid insulin though, you need it.

BigCatDaddy
01-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Low Carb =/= keto. I did keto once, never again. Lost some strength and just looked flat as hell overall. Now I just take in carbs pre & post workout only. I have heard that keto works well if you just after purely strength and are working in the 80-90% 1rm rep range. Not sure why anyone who is serious about building muscle would try to avoid insulin though, you need it.

How long did you run it for? I read the muscle fullness eventually returns.

BigBeauford
01-02-2014, 08:46 AM
Finally broke the 10 minute per mile mark on a 4 mile run @ 9.53 per mile pace. Keep chopping away!

Aspengc8
01-02-2014, 08:56 AM
How long did you run it for? I read the muscle fullness eventually returns.

About 8 months. I ran a 'cleaner' version of the Anabolic Diet (basically a CKD). The fullness returned on the weekends, when I was allowed a carb-refeed day. If you not taking in carbs, you will burn through your muscles glycogen stores, hence the flat look. It will not replenish it fully without eating some carbs, which is why I think targeted keto diet or just low(er) carbs is a better option. There's a lot of good read out there on carb back-loading, or just eating them around workouts. The basis is that while insulin is low, glucagon is high, which means your burning fat for energy. Then you up the insulin around workout times via carbs. Doesn't have to be a lot, 50g pre & post is more than enough for most lifters with a day desk job.

There are a lot of good lower carb options out there.
Targeted Keto Diet - carbs around workout only
Cyclical keto diet - carb refeed day once a week (usually a weekend day)
Carb back-load - carbs only AFTER workout

Ketosis is not really needed on any of these, keeping control of insulin is what is important.

ping2000
01-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Used to lift in "the Hell" when I was younger. I was back to the place to lift a bit today.

Where is the hole where you keep the girl and the bottle of lotion?

Simply Red
01-02-2014, 10:36 AM
I'm on the machines at my complex for probably all of January - then I'm looking to gym it up. I'll outgrow what we have here pretty darned soon.

Also yesterday I went to Panera Bread and ordered a Chicken Caesar Salad - double chicken add egg. Protein injection yo.

Silock
01-02-2014, 10:39 AM

Protein will spike insulin, too. Especially whey. You won't be able to stay in ketosis all day, anyway. But protein will not keep you out of it for as long as other foods would.

Aspengc8
01-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Protein will spike insulin, too. Especially whey. You won't be able to stay in ketosis all day, anyway. But protein will not keep you out of it for as long as other foods would.

Yeah whey will, but obviously not as much as a high carb meal. The bulk of calories on keto need to come from fat anyway, so whey shouldn't even be on the menu. Fatty steaks with blue cheese crumbles FTW.

NewChief
01-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Been lazy in the latter half of 2013 (averaging maybe 2 days a week in the gym). Going to do like all the other New Year dorks and recommit.

BigCatDaddy
01-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Yeah whey will, but obviously not as much as a high carb meal. The bulk of calories on keto need to come from fat anyway, so whey shouldn't even be on the menu. Fatty steaks with blue cheese crumbles FTW.

Mmmmm bacon!

ThaVirus
01-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Been getting some pretty insane upper body pumps after workouts lately. I'd pay to keep that shit year round.

.. Speaking of, does anyone hear ever get a lower body pump?

Silock
01-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Been getting some pretty insane upper body pumps after workouts lately. I'd pay to keep that shit year round.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3WCvULMRUq8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jiveturkey
01-02-2014, 06:54 PM
The gym was a total nightmare. It was crawling with new faces and all them doing weird ass exercises they probably saw in a magazine.

Pick up a barbell!

luv
01-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Why isn't this called the weightlifting thread?

Silock
01-02-2014, 06:59 PM

Because there's a weirdo in here that likes to do Crossfit.

lewdog
01-02-2014, 07:29 PM

I really don't know what else would be discussed besides weights? Anyone can get on a treadmill or bike...their isn't much skill and teaching in that.

BigCatDaddy
01-02-2014, 07:41 PM

If you ain't lifting weights you ain't doing it right.

MahiMike
01-02-2014, 08:53 PM
How do I lose 20 lbs? It was only 12 before the holidays. I plan on quitting drinking and trying to poop more.

penguinz
01-02-2014, 08:57 PM
How do I lose 20 lbs? It was only 12 before the holidays. I plan on quitting drinking and trying to poop more.Wash some exlax down with Miralax three times daily after eating a tapeworm?

Buehler445
01-03-2014, 02:31 AM
I really don't know what else would be discussed besides weights? Anyone can get on a treadmill or bike...their isn't much skill and teaching in that.

There has been a good deal of running talk and nutrition talk.

Omaha
01-03-2014, 08:41 AM
I took my very first ice bath the other day. Dayum. That was more helpful than I anticipated. Do any of you guys ever do that?

Demonpenz
01-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Russian shower is where you dump ice on your head. People say it works, but I haven't seen science back it up.

Omaha
01-03-2014, 09:35 AM
I was in for 15 minutes. Just the waist down. I would think dumping ice on myself whilst in the shower would be something completely different.

Simply Red
01-03-2014, 09:37 AM
I added weight last night - things are going well - I like my pace, going to need to actually join a gym w/in a month or so.

I'm thrilled to have this lifestyle back, this summer could very easily be off the curb. Lots of hot girls here in this condo.

Demonpenz
01-03-2014, 10:16 AM
I went out to eat yesterday and had chicken and two servings of broccoli. It wasn't very fun, but it filled me up. I am willing to sacrifice short term yum for long term munching on pussy yum...ammIright?

Simply Red
01-03-2014, 10:25 AM
I went out to eat yesterday and had chicken and two servings of broccoli. It wasn't very fun, but it filled me up. I am willing to sacrifice short term yum for long term munching on pussy yum...ammIright?

you're gosh damned right you're rite!!!!

Predarat
01-03-2014, 11:12 AM
I'm pretty bad at fitness.

BigCatDaddy
01-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Today marks day 4 of Keto and it's starting to feel a little easier today, but damn if yesterday wasn't a bitch to get through. I'm going to go pick up some keto strips tonight and see if I can't make those bad boys change color.

Side note. Anybody ever try Provigil? I have an online supplement retail company and Blackstone Labs just game out with a product with a precursor(Adranafil) to Provigil in it. So it will convert to Provigil. It sounds very interesting. Like your brain on steroids. I've thought about sending bottles to a few posters here that appear to need that :)

Here is an interesting ABC news article on it. My stock comes in tomorrow and I figure I'll give it a test run for kicks. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/provigil-secret-success/story?id=16788001

Simply Red
01-09-2014, 11:09 AM
chking in - still on it - still plan to join a gym soon - most likely a simpleton w/ 24 hr access.

Peace.

mr. tegu
01-09-2014, 11:23 AM
chking in - still on it - still plan to join a gym soon - most likely a simpleton w/ 24 hr access.

Peace.

Planet Fitness isn't the most hardcore but it is by far the cheapest. $100 for a year. The location we go to is only open 24 hours during the week though.

Demonpenz
01-09-2014, 11:25 AM
I hate gyms that aren't 24/7 365/

Aspengc8
01-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Today marks day 4 of Keto and it's starting to feel a little easier today, but damn if yesterday wasn't a bitch to get through. I'm going to go pick up some keto strips tonight and see if I can't make those bad boys change color.

Side note. Anybody ever try Provigil? I have an online supplement retail company and Blackstone Labs just game out with a product with a precursor(Adranafil) to Provigil in it. So it will convert to Provigil. It sounds very interesting. Like your brain on steroids. I've thought about sending bottles to a few posters here that appear to need that :)

Here is an interesting ABC news article on it. My stock comes in tomorrow and I figure I'll give it a test run for kicks. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/provigil-secret-success/story?id=16788001

I wouldn't even waste money on the ketostix. You can be in ketosis and not even register 'trace' amounts in your urine. You body will be burning them for energy, which is what you want anyway. You will notice things like the way your sweat & urine smells, anyway. Keep an eyeball on your strength levels, if its dropping thats not a good sign. You should lose some endurance, but shouldnt lose much strength unless your protein % is too high. I think 60/40 is the safe maco split for fat to protein calories.

I hate gyms that aren't 24/7 365/

The only gym I hate is planet fitness. What kind of gym outlaws the squat rack because it is 'intimidating'? Its a fucking gym!

penguinz
01-09-2014, 03:41 PM

Here is an interesting ABC news article on it. My stock comes in tomorrow and I figure I'll give it a test run for kicks. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/provigil-secret-success/story?id=16788001Let me know how teh Adranafil works!

el borracho
01-09-2014, 09:34 PM

Pretty easy to get a pump in your quads. If you are not, then you probably need to do more reps (in each set, not necessarily more sets). Or you can try drop sets; or you can try supersets; or you can try flexing the muscle for 60 seconds immediately after each set.

What are your goals and what are you doing currently?

penguinz
01-09-2014, 10:24 PM

Put 135 on the bar and get in 100 reps in as few sets as possible. Parallel or lower or the rep doesn't count.

big nasty kcnut
01-09-2014, 10:33 PM
except for the bitter cold i have been working out thou what a good cure for legs tightening i have to move around at my job and need something to help me move got anything

BigCatDaddy
01-09-2014, 10:36 PM
except for the bitter cold i have been working out thou what a good cure for legs tightening i have to move around at my job and need something to help me move got anything

Your legs are cramping at work?

Simply Red
01-09-2014, 10:59 PM
I would like some ab exercise suggestions please, ones in which nothing else it required.

Simply Red
01-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Or could you maybe just re drop the link or suggest what page Abs would be discussed....?

ThaVirus
01-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Pretty easy to get a pump in your quads. If you are not, then you probably need to do more reps (in each set, not necessarily more sets). Or you can try drop sets; or you can try supersets; or you can try flexing the muscle for 60 seconds immediately after each set.

What are your goals and what are you doing currently?

Put 135 on the bar and get in 100 reps in as few sets as possible. Parallel or lower or the rep doesn't count.

I was just curious because I've never gotten a noticeable pump in my quads or calves after a workout. I didn't know if there was some kind of anatomical difference between leg muscles and your chest/arms or if I'm just not working hard enough..

ThaVirus
01-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Anyway, I've been low-calorie ing it up for the last few days. I had tried to bulk up the "wrong" way and just didn't like the amount of fat I developed on my belly. So the plan is to shave off the few pounds I stored up in that region and start over doing it with lean meats and veggies and things.

I want to be bigger but I'd rather be lean and healthy.

Simply Red
01-09-2014, 11:21 PM

Epsom salt bath buddy. Epsom Salt - Get it at Target or Walgreens - if you go to Walmarts, I'm kicking your ass at or near the George Brett statue at the K this, next season.

Got it!

big nasty kcnut
01-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Dude I don't fight this gore my health and bath salt I'll give that a try

Simply Red
01-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Dude I don't fight this gore my health and bath salt I'll give that a try

i'm jokin with ya bud :thumb: - yes buy some and make the bath fairly hot - should help.

Buehler445
01-09-2014, 11:43 PM

Stretch before you go to bed. Eat bananas. Drink lots of water.

Buehler445
01-09-2014, 11:45 PM
I would like some ab exercise suggestions please, ones in which nothing else it required.

Are you looking for alternatives to sit-ups or what?

Simply Red
01-09-2014, 11:46 PM
Hi Silock,

I have to know - do you still have days you eat a whole bag of oranges? can you explain the benefits of that?

Silock
01-10-2014, 12:37 AM

Ab rollouts on a wheel.

You're better off doing complex movements, though. I haven't done ab specific exercises in nearly a decade.

Silock
01-10-2014, 12:38 AM
Hi Silock,

I have to know - do you still have days you eat a whole bag of oranges? can you explain the benefits of that?

Yes.

No benefits other than I like oranges, and it fits my macros and gives me energy. I don't consume a ton of oranges and then consume a ton of other sugar or carbs on top of that, though. If I eat that many oranges, that's basically my carb intake for the day.

They also take up a lot of room in your stomach, being mostly water and fiber, so they really fill you up and keep you full for a while.

Simply Red
01-10-2014, 12:41 AM
Yes.

No benefits other than I like oranges, and it fits my macros and gives me energy. I don't consume a ton of oranges and then consume a ton of other sugar or carbs on top of that, though. If I eat that many oranges, that's basically my carb intake for the day.

They also take up a lot of room in your stomach, being mostly water and fiber, so they really fill you up and keep you full for a while.

that's cool - i only mess with those and pineapple, I don't venture too far out w/ sweets even the natural stuff.

Aspengc8
01-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Anyway, I've been low-calorie ing it up for the last few days. I had tried to bulk up the "wrong" way and just didn't like the amount of fat I developed on my belly. So the plan is to shave off the few pounds I stored up in that region and start over doing it with lean meats and veggies and things.

I want to be bigger but I'd rather be lean and healthy.

If your trying to put size on, your going to put a bit of fat on, no matter which way you cut it. Maybe start with a lower surplus, like +250 cals over mtce and work your way up from there. Your body doesn't exactly work in '24hr cycles', so make sure your still eating a good amount on 'off days'.

Aspengc8
01-10-2014, 07:45 AM
I was just curious because I've never gotten a noticeable pump in my quads or calves after a workout. I didn't know if there was some kind of anatomical difference between leg muscles and your chest/arms or if I'm just not working hard enough..

It's probably the latter. What does your leg day look like? Leg press & Hack squat machine with your feet closer together, as well as walking lunges or bulgarian split squats should pump the shit out of your quads.

penguinz
01-10-2014, 09:04 AM
I was just curious because I've never gotten a noticeable pump in my quads or calves after a workout. I didn't know if there was some kind of anatomical difference between leg muscles and your chest/arms or if I'm just not working hard enough..For a lot of people legs tend to benefit more from high reps. I feel much more from a day of high rep sets with less weight over doing high weight and low reps.

el borracho
01-10-2014, 09:12 AM

Yes, there is a difference between your legs and the muscles of the upper body- your legs are much larger, much stronger and can handle a larger volume of work. Try upping your rep range on legs to 12-20 reps.

BigCatDaddy
01-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Starting day 5 of Keto today. Today I feel pretty good.. almost a euphoric type feeling. Awake, alert, and my body feels light. I feel like I'm getting a much deeper sleep at night as well. Granted I'd let my diet and training slip quite a bit lately.

ThaVirus
01-11-2014, 02:19 AM
If your trying to put size on, your going to put a bit of fat on, no matter which way you cut it. Maybe start with a lower surplus, like +250 cals over mtce and work your way up from there. Your body doesn't exactly work in '24hr cycles', so make sure your still eating a good amount on 'off days'.

I had mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I basically tried to bulk by eating as much shit as humanly possible. Literally, just eating non-stop all fucking day; and I'm not talking lean meats and veggies, I'm talking entire pizzas and adding four slices of butter bread to every dinner type stuff. Another thing I tried was drinking chocolate milk every day. I'd down a quart each day and that was roughly 800 calories by itself. I've never been one to count calories or anything but I'd imagine I was easily taking in over 3,000 every single day.

So I ended up gaining around 10 pounds in roughly a month and added another 5 pounds by the end of the next month. I've read that optimal muscle synthesis can only realistically reach around 2 pounds per month so I'm guessing about 90% of that weight was fat, and it really showed on my stomach.

Now, I want to get rid of this fat and start over the right way. I'll try and up the intensity on my leg workouts as well but that shit fucking sucks, man. I hate leg days. Love the feeling of accomplishment when it's over, but really can't stand it.

Simply Red
01-11-2014, 10:09 AM
i had a cheat day yesterday and took out a Son of Baconator - It was disgusting, horrible cheat choice.

I have to say though, I'm very pleased w/ my results thus far, I'm on pace to look dynamite by summer time.

Hammock Parties
01-11-2014, 01:56 PM
i had a cheat day yesterday and took out a Son of Baconator - It was disgusting, horrible cheat choice.

I have to say though, I'm very pleased w/ my results thus far, I'm on pace to look dynamite by summer time.

You realize you can still eat one of those and lose weight in a day, right?

Buehler445
01-12-2014, 10:35 AM

It'd be worth it to find Ab Ripper X if you don't want to use anything else. It's the best workout I can think of.

penguinz
01-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Anyone here use test boosters? Which ones have you had the best results with?

BigCatDaddy
01-13-2014, 10:44 AM
Anyone here use test boosters? Which ones have you had the best results with?

What results are you looking for from one?

Aspengc8
01-13-2014, 11:04 AM
What results are you looking for from one?

All the money I spent on tribulus supplements, I wish I had saved up for HRT now that I'm 34!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Aspengc8
01-13-2014, 11:11 AM
I had mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I basically tried to bulk by eating as much shit as humanly possible. Literally, just eating non-stop all ****ing day; and I'm not talking lean meats and veggies, I'm talking entire pizzas and adding four slices of butter bread to every dinner type stuff. Another thing I tried was drinking chocolate milk every day. I'd down a quart each day and that was roughly 800 calories by itself. I've never been one to count calories or anything but I'd imagine I was easily taking in over 3,000 every single day.

So I ended up gaining around 10 pounds in roughly a month and added another 5 pounds by the end of the next month. I've read that optimal muscle synthesis can only realistically reach around 2 pounds per month so I'm guessing about 90% of that weight was fat, and it really showed on my stomach.

Now, I want to get rid of this fat and start over the right way. I'll try and up the intensity on my leg workouts as well but that shit ****ing sucks, man. I hate leg days. Love the feeling of accomplishment when it's over, but really can't stand it.

Yeah, that was pretty dumb. Your going to have to try and count for a week or two, which will allow you to 'eyeball' it from there. once you know you can hit X macros with Y amount of meals, its pretty easy. I take in around 3000 on workout days, and about 2500 non-days, in 4 meals + 1 shake. I will link you to a calculator which should help you find your maintenance cals. Just hit your protein & fat quota for the day, then fill the rest of cals with either carbs or more protein (I prefer the bulk of my carbs pre-workout, but thats just me).

Eat at your maintenance or just slightly below to start off. You can still gain some muscle & strength as your body will use the excess calories from fat. This will diminish as you get leaner.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

While I do advocate IIFYM style of eating, if your serious about leaning out, don't fill the carbs with crap like cookies/cake/ice cream. It's not all about cals in & cals out, that is a over-simplification for most simple minded people that can't figure out what to eat.

Good luck bud.

BigCatDaddy
01-13-2014, 11:22 AM
All the money I spent on tribulus supplements, I wish I had saved up for HRT now that I'm 34!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

No insurance?

Aspengc8
01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
No insurance?

Haven't really looked into it too much yet. What is the process for that route? Get a reference from my primary care to go to an endo? Or just hit up one of those 'anti-aging' clinics?

Last I saw, UGL pricing is around $25 for 10ml test prop.. which isn't bad, but I dont know what these HRT docs are prescribing normally.

Ebolapox
01-13-2014, 11:41 AM
I'm all cardio all the time. six days out of the week I run a 5k (so 30k, or roughly 19 miles) and bike 5-10 miles a day. kinda wanna start lifting at some point, but... it's not imminent. I'm in a very good place.

BigCatDaddy
01-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Haven't really looked into it too much yet. What is the process for that route? Get a reference from my primary care to go to an endo? Or just hit up one of those 'anti-aging' clinics?

Last I saw, UGL pricing is around $25 for 10ml test prop.. which isn't bad, but I dont know what these HRT docs are prescribing normally.

200mg/ml? If so just stick with that if your 100% confident in what you are getting.

My reg doc just gives me 150mg per week and I have another online clincic I use if I won't to go higher, but they don't take insurance like a reg doc does.

BigCatDaddy
01-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Turned that fucking ketostick purple this weekend. Let the fat burning began.

Aspengc8
01-13-2014, 12:05 PM
200mg/ml? If so just stick with that if your 100% confident in what you are getting.

My reg doc just gives me 150mg per week and I have another online clincic I use if I won't to go higher, but they don't take insurance like a reg doc does.

Good god no.. its only 100mg/ml. Prop burns pretty bad because you get more actual test per ml. 150/week is pretty low, but I guess is normal for HRT. I responded well to 100mg EoD, which is like ~450ish a week. Pretty much no sides & the wife enjoyed the 'extra' sex drive :thumb:. What are they giving you thats 150mg/ week? Enthanate?

Turned that ****ing ketostick purple this weekend. Let the fat burning began.

Whats a daily day look like as far as diet? You should get out of purple pretty quick as you want to be burning the ketones for fuel, not pissing them out. You body will prob adjust nicely this week.

BigCatDaddy
01-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Good god no.. its only 100mg/ml. Prop burns pretty bad because you get more actual test per ml. 150/week is pretty low, but I guess is normal for HRT. I responded well to 100mg EoD, which is like ~450ish a week. Pretty much no sides & the wife enjoyed the 'extra' sex drive :thumb:. What are they giving you thats 150mg/ week? Enthanate?

Whats a daily day look like as far as diet? You should get out of purple pretty quick as you want to be burning the ketones for fuel, not pissing them out. You body will prob adjust nicely this week.

Shit. I didn't catch it's prop. Mine is Cyp. That's what most docs prescribe. I usually take 200mg per week.. It sounds weak for a bb dose, but over time you can see a pretty noticable difference.

Actually I pissed 3 times. Once was nothing, one was purple, and one showed a trace. So I was all over the place.

I'm just pretty much eating Almonds, Bacon, eggs, brown rice and hamburger, pickles, sugar free jello, steak, pepperoni, cheese sticks, water, green tea, crystal lite etc... I haven't figured it out the total macros yet. I'm just trying to get through the first month before I get to precise.

It's my understanding that you won't piss out ketones unless you are in ketosis, right?

penguinz
01-13-2014, 12:21 PM
What results are you looking for from one?Strength and cutting.

BigCatDaddy
01-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Strength and cutting.

You likely won't raise your T levels high enough to see a difference with an herbal booster.

If you want to go the really safe route you might try LGI SecretABridge.

RunKC
01-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Pretty sure you could eat something awful like a cheeseburger and fries and still lose weight that day.

Just eat a small dinner and do some cardio

penguinz
01-13-2014, 12:32 PM
You likely won't raise your T levels high enough to see a difference with an herbal booster.

If you want to go the really safe route you might try LGI SecretABridge.What about less safe routes. ;)

BigCatDaddy
01-13-2014, 12:36 PM
What about less safe routes. ;)

Probably OTC steroids/prohormones. I'd recommend RPN Havoc. There are a ton of them and you can research and read up on prohormoneforum.com

Aspengc8
01-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Shit. I didn't catch it's prop. Mine is Cyp. That's what most docs prescribe. I usually take 200mg per week.. It sounds weak for a bb dose, but over time you can see a pretty noticable difference.

Actually I pissed 3 times. Once was nothing, one was purple, and one showed a trace. So I was all over the place.

I'm just pretty much eating Almonds, Bacon, eggs, brown rice and hamburger, pickles, sugar free jello, steak, pepperoni, cheese sticks, water, green tea, crystal lite etc... I haven't figured it out the total macros yet. I'm just trying to get through the first month before I get to precise.

It's my understanding that you won't piss out ketones unless you are in ketosis, right?

Diet looks ok so far. Cut the brown rice out for now. The strips are ok, but i wouldnt rely on them. Like you already observed, it will vary all over. Once your body gets adapted to the diet, you will always show 'trace' unless you are carbing up on the weekend. The less you see in your urine, just means your body is using those for fuel, gluconeogenesis via free form fatty acids, which is good.

Check your pm, I have a couple ebooks you will prob like. I ran the anabolic diet during college with good results.

BigCatDaddy
01-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Pretty sure you could eat something awful like a cheeseburger and fries and still lose weight that day.

Just eat a small dinner and do some cardio

In Ketosis the body uses bf for fuel instead of carbs. It's not about weight loss, it's about reducing body fat.

Yeah, you're right. If weight loss was just your goal you could eat twinkies and lose weight as long as calories out>calories in.

BigCatDaddy
01-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Diet looks ok so far. Cut the brown rice out for now. The strips are ok, but i wouldnt rely on them. Like you already observed, it will vary all over. Once your body gets adapted to the diet, you will always show 'trace' unless you are carbing up on the weekend. The less you see in your urine, just means your body is using those for fuel, gluconeogenesis via free form fatty acids, which is good.

Check your pm, I have a couple ebooks you will prob like. I ran the anabolic diet during college with good results.

Thanks. I've never cut in my life so this is a little new to me. I've always been one of those get bigger & stronger, BF be damned type of guys. I've always had a goal of a 400lb bench, but I'm putting that on the back burner for the time being. One of the benefits of getting older is you get stronger so there is time for that.

Demonpenz
01-13-2014, 01:24 PM
if your shitting sucks. Try meatballs. I have been eating meatballs a ton and that has helped me with stomach aches due to carb reduction

Aspengc8
01-13-2014, 01:33 PM
if your shitting sucks. Try meatballs. I have been eating meatballs a ton and that has helped me with stomach aches due to carb reduction

Not enough green veggie/fiberz?

Demonpenz
01-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Not enough green veggie/fiberz?

I hate broccoli but it seemed that binded me up and gave me a stomach ache more.

Demonpenz
01-13-2014, 01:42 PM
I *ate

Aspengc8
01-13-2014, 01:47 PM
I hate broccoli but it seemed that binded me up and gave me a stomach ache more.

I just use those steamer bags of chopped spinach. A little of that in the morning scrambled with eggs & cheese is good. I usually go through a bag a day, seems to help a lot. I consider my diet 'low carb' and I end up around 100-150g a day. Ezekial bread has a good amount of fiber too.

Omaha
01-16-2014, 06:01 PM
My elbows still hurt like hell. WTF am I supposed to do? Just sit around and get fat? Then ThaVirus will try to fuck me! That's no good.

lewdog
01-16-2014, 06:14 PM
My elbows still hurt like hell. WTF am I supposed to do? Just sit around and get fat? Then ThaVirus will try to **** me! That's no good.

ROFL

Ice is your friend.

I also recommend very light but very high rep pressdowns (30+) to get some blood flow in there without straining it with heavy weight.

Oh...and learn to catch a fucking clean, n00b.

Buehler445
01-16-2014, 06:33 PM
My elbows still hurt like hell. WTF am I supposed to do? Just sit around and get fat? Then ThaVirus will try to fuck me! That's no good.

Ice and don't fuck with it. Don't you bike? You can do other stuff. Just not with your arms.

You did it doing clean?

NewChief
01-16-2014, 06:35 PM
I did some light cleans (135) as warmup the other day. I've done them before, but not as high rep as I went (5 sets of 5). One of my elbows didn't feel great, so I'm done with cleans until I get a little coaching.

ThaVirus
01-16-2014, 06:44 PM
My elbows still hurt like hell. WTF am I supposed to do? Just sit around and get fat? Then ThaVirus will try to **** me! That's no good.

Only if you spontaneously develop a cartoonishly large ass, cutie ;)

ThaVirus
01-16-2014, 06:44 PM
I've actually been dealing with some pretty serious tendinitis in my right elbow as well. I've stopped doing any and all tricep exercises that I normally do for the time being.. Shit sucks.

Gravedigger
01-16-2014, 06:57 PM

Swim it out, if your gym has an indoor pool, swimming will do wonders followed by a trip to the therapy tub.

penguinz
01-16-2014, 07:04 PM

Stop doing cross fit.

lewdog
01-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Stop doing cross fit.

Correction.

Stop doing Crossfit with shitty form. Get some real coaching if you're going to be doing cleans or snatches. Come visit me Omaha, I'll coach you up.

penguinz
01-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Correction.

Stop doing Crossfit with shitty form. Get some real coaching if you're going to be doing cleans or snatches. Come visit me Omaha, I'll coach you up.
Have to disagree. Cross fit should be banned. There is a reason the mascot is pukie the clown.

Omaha
01-16-2014, 09:46 PM
ROFL

Ice is your friend.

I also recommend very light but very high rep pressdowns (30+) to get some blood flow in there without straining it with heavy weight.

Oh...and learn to catch a ****ing clean, n00b.

Pressdowns? And my cleans were getting much better before my arm started sucking at life.

Seriously! What the fuck arepressdowns?

lewdog
01-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Seriously! What the **** arepressdowns?

Are you fucking serious? :eek:

Simply Red
01-16-2014, 09:48 PM
GUYS,

I'M GOING IN!

Omaha
01-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Stop doing cross fit.

I haven't been to crossfit in a couple of months. I've just been lifting and running.

Omaha
01-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Are you ****ing serious? :eek:

Yeah

Simply Red
01-16-2014, 09:50 PM
this thread needs more epsom salts.

Omaha
01-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Have to disagree. Cross fit should be banned. There is a reason the mascot is pukie the clown.

This is dumb. You guys would be impressed with the coaches at my gym.

lewdog
01-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Yeah

damn, that sucks.

Omaha
01-16-2014, 09:58 PM
damn, that sucks.

Really? :cuss: Are you talking about tricep work?

lewdog
01-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Really? :cuss: Are you talking about tricep work?

Oh shit, you have one of those computers that doesn't allow a google search! Damn man, sorry.

Omaha
01-16-2014, 10:08 PM
I googled. I've just never called them that. Triceps don't bother my elbows.

lewdog
01-17-2014, 06:36 AM
I googled. I've just never called them that. Triceps don't bother my elbows.

Yes I know that, so I recommended that you start and finish the workout with high rep pressdowns sets to stimulate some blood flow to your elbow ligaments and tendons. Sometimes just warming up that area is all it takes to let you be able to workout. Then ice afterwards.

Aspengc8
01-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Yes I know that, so I recommended that you start and finish the workout with high rep pressdowns sets to stimulate some blood flow to your elbow ligaments and tendons. Sometimes just warming up that area is all it takes to let you be able to workout. Then ice afterwards.

Elbow sleeves and some good liniment would help a lot, too. I've been dealing with tennis elbow, and started using some rehband elbow sleeves and some elbow grease called Jacks Hot Pink.. shit is amazing.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=176

http://www.amazon.com/Rehband-Elbow-Sleeves-Medium-26-28cm/dp/B000Y8GIAO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389966755&sr=8-2&keywords=rehband+elbow+sleeves

penguinz
01-17-2014, 08:48 AM
This is dumb. You guys would be impressed with the coaches at my gym.Doubtfull ;) Some guy being ripped does not change my opinion on the logic behind the fitness fad he teaches.

Simply Red
01-17-2014, 09:50 AM
come about May - I plan to go down to our pool and oil up w/ suntan lotion, stand on a table and yell throughout the courtyard, WHERE MY WHITE BITCHES???!!!

Can't wait - should be a fun FUN summer!

lewdog
01-17-2014, 10:09 PM
TAKE NOTE OMAHA!

Crossfitter left paralyzed...Video included in link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2540945/Kevin-Ogar-injury-CrossFit-athlete-left-paralyzed-waist-having-spine-severed-dumbbell.html

Silock
01-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Doubtfull ;) Some guy being ripped does not change my opinion on the logic behind the fitness fad he teaches.

Olympic lifts just weren't meant to be performed in high rep, fatigue-inducing fashion.

It's entirely possible that it's not a form thing with you, Omaha, but that Crossfit is still the reason you're injured. Doing anything that puts a lot of stress on a joint many times over can injure you, even if performed correctly.

lewdog
01-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Olympic lifts just weren't meant to be performed in high rep, fatigue-inducing fashion.

It's entirely possible that it's not a form thing with you, Omaha, but that Crossfit is still the reason you're injured. Doing anything that puts a lot of stress on a joint many times over can injure you, even if performed correctly.

See link above.

You could also get paralyzed!!!!!!!!!!

Silock
01-17-2014, 10:22 PM
I saw. I don't necessarily blame that on Crossfit. It's a freak accident. It's more on the people there not keeping the workspace clean and danger-free.

It's also a lesson in why racks are such a good idea.

lewdog
01-17-2014, 10:29 PM
I saw. I don't necessarily blame that on Crossfit. It's a freak accident. It's more on the people there not keeping the workspace clean and danger-free.

It's also a lesson in why racks are such a good idea.

Racks for snatches? That makes no sense.

One of the first things you're taught is that if a lift goes behind you, you take a giant step forward while lunging to get forward quickly.

Silock
01-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Racks for snatches? That makes no sense.

One of the first things you're taught is that if a lift goes behind you, you take a giant step forward while lunging to get forward quickly.

I didn't watch the video. I thought he was overhead squatting.

Agree on the bailout technique if you are lifting out in the open.

BigCatDaddy
01-17-2014, 10:52 PM
TAKE NOTE OMAHA!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oxs6YkXKVpc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog
01-18-2014, 09:37 AM
I didn't watch the video. I thought he was overhead squatting.

Agree on the bailout technique if you are lifting out in the open.

I specifically mentioned the video so you'd watch it.

Come on Silock, you're better than that!

NewChief
01-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Here's what I've noticed about Crossfit lately around here:

Whereas at one time, a Crossfit gym was filled up with people who looked pretty ripped and in shape, the "boxes" are getting filled up with more and more fatties. I suppose it's the inevitable result of a type of workout becoming popular. People see folks who are in shape doing Crossfit. They think it's going to be the miracle cure that finally gets them to lose weight, so they join a "box." Then the same problems that plagued them before (lack of dedication, poor metabolism/genetics, bad diet, etc..) will still plague them in CF.

I predict this leads to a decreasing popularity for Crossfit among those who actually are dedicated to being fit and in shape, because the perception of program will change among the "fit" community (it's already, as evidenced by this thread, experienced significant backlash).

Silock
01-18-2014, 10:11 AM
I specifically mentioned the video so you'd watch it.

Come on Silock, you're better than that!

I'm not a gruesome video watcher.

lewdog
01-18-2014, 12:43 PM
I'm not a gruesome video watcher.

It's not super gruesome. Except for the fact that when you see him go down, you know he's paralyzed.

Omaha
01-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Doubtfull ;) Some guy being ripped does not change my opinion on the logic behind the fitness fad he teaches.

Not because he's ripped. He's a good trainer. True story.

Omaha
01-20-2014, 09:52 AM

I had been working on my cleans quite a bit. I tend to pull with my arms a little bit & I think that's to blame. I think I've got that catch down. I'm not doing cleans right now. I'm trying to let my elbows rest.

Omaha
01-20-2014, 09:57 AM
TAKE NOTE OMAHA!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oxs6YkXKVpc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hmmm. Zumba sounds cool. I'll check it out.

Omaha
01-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Here's what I've noticed about Crossfit lately around here:

Whereas at one time, a Crossfit gym was filled up with people who looked pretty ripped and in shape, the "boxes" are getting filled up with more and more fatties. I suppose it's the inevitable result of a type of workout becoming popular. People see folks who are in shape doing Crossfit. They think it's going to be the miracle cure that finally gets them to lose weight, so they join a "box." Then the same problems that plagued them before (lack of dedication, poor metabolism/genetics, bad diet, etc..) will still plague them in CF.

I predict this leads to a decreasing popularity for Crossfit among those who actually are dedicated to being fit and in shape, because the perception of program will change among the "fit" community (it's already, as evidenced by this thread, experienced significant backlash).

Haters gonna hate....

penguinz
01-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Not because he's ripped. He's a good trainer. True story.Tell that to the tendons in your elbow.

Omaha
01-22-2014, 09:41 AM
TAKE NOTE OMAHA!

Hey guys, now I'm into Zumba. It's pretty fucking intense. Anyone tried it? I'm getting shredded.

Jimmya
01-22-2014, 09:44 AM
I think crossfit should only be used by people who know what they are getting into and with proper training.

Omaha
01-22-2014, 09:46 AM
I think crossfit should only be used by people who know what they are getting into and with proper training.

Yes, and the good crossfit gyms are making this happen.

Aspengc8
01-22-2014, 11:11 AM

Isn't that why they have beginner classes? To teach the lifts?

Omaha
01-22-2014, 11:26 AM
My place requires all new members to go through a one on one training program before participating in any of the workouts. There are no "beginner" classes.

jiveturkey
01-22-2014, 01:37 PM

This really should apply to power lifting too. You can't take Chubs McCouch and tell him to start squating, deadlifting and power cleaning without some actual instruction. Unless you're a back specialist and you're short on cash.

Aspengc8
01-22-2014, 05:15 PM
My place requires all new members to go through a one on one training program before participating in any of the workouts. There are no "beginner" classes.

Thats pretty much what I meant. One on one or with a class, they are gonna give you a broomstick and teach you the basics.

The Franchise
01-23-2014, 12:54 PM
The first day or two after getting back in the gym after a long time always sucks. Fuck you squats.

KC native
01-23-2014, 12:57 PM
This really should apply to power lifting too. You can't take Chubs McCouch and tell him to start squating, deadlifting and power cleaning without some actual instruction. Unless you're a back specialist and you're short on cash.

LMAO This. I was at the gym last night and this fat fuck was on the squat rack with awful form (too much bend at the waist and not going deep enough) and what's worse is he was trying to coach his girl on how to do squats too.

jiveturkey
01-23-2014, 01:09 PM
The first day or two after getting back in the gym after a long time always sucks. **** you squats.

Your dedication will be rewarded by the squat gods. And your reward will be difficulty finding pants that fit.

Fuck you pants industry!!! They either have skinny jeans for hipster vegetarians with the muscle mass of rodents or jeans build for hambeasts.

Silock
01-23-2014, 02:05 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_Hjeb1YCR3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

morphius
01-23-2014, 02:19 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_Hjeb1YCR3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
what the heck is going on there? While a lot of that is pretty painful to watch, but what is with the hands gripping in opposite directions, and then switching when it is on their stomach?

Silock
01-23-2014, 02:22 PM
They're using an opposing grip on a clean, which is fucking EPIC LULZ.

jiveturkey
01-23-2014, 02:28 PM
I couldn't make it past the first 30 seconds. :shake:

BigCatDaddy
01-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Beautiful form/ Omaha :D

The Franchise
01-23-2014, 02:36 PM

Even if you remove the obvious wrong everything....and that's coming from a weightlifting n00b......what the fuck is with the weights they're attempting to lift? Are they all going with retarded personal bests? I'm new to crossfit....put 180 on that shit!

Big Poppa Payne
01-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Check this kid Braden Smith out from Olathe Kansas. He's a senior in high school and benching over 500lbs.. BEAST!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/b5z5_Iz7MAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jiveturkey
01-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Kids these days, am I right?

My gym is in the heart of the Blue Valley district and it's crawling with monster high schoolers. And bitchy over dressed girls that pile around a machine. 6 bitches watching 1 exercise and taking up a bunch of room.

-King-
01-23-2014, 03:59 PM

That is just idiotic. The fact that there are people teaching them to lift like that is amazing. Someone will get hurt eventually.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
01-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Females leave the acl's around the gym like they leave their panties around my bed. I am still walking a bunch and having a had chips, cake, or cookies for a month and a half. It has been hard giving up those chips, but I know it is deep sacrifice like that...that causes the most gain and character building.

Radar Chief
01-23-2014, 04:15 PM
what the heck is going on there? While a lot of that is pretty painful to watch, but what is with the hands gripping in opposite directions, and then switching when it is on their stomach?

That’s the dead lift grip but in no way crosses over to the clean and jerk.

Someone needs to warn these people the C&J is a dangerous enough lift when using the proper form.

morphius
01-23-2014, 04:37 PM
That’s the dead lift grip but in no way crosses over to the clean and jerk.

Someone needs to warn these people the C&J is a dangerous enough lift when using the proper form.
Yes, agreed 100%. It sort of a game of how many dangerous/stupid things can you count...

NewChief
01-23-2014, 04:43 PM
That video has to be a joke, seriously. That's just sad.

penguinz
01-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Check this kid Braden Smith out from Olathe Kansas. He's a senior in high school and benching over 500lbs.. BEAST!

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/b5z5_Iz7MAk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>Can he do it with a controlled negative and not bounce it off his chest?

penguinz
01-23-2014, 05:29 PM
That is just idiotic. The fact that there are people teaching them to lift like that is amazing. Someone will get hurt eventually.
Posted via Mobile DeviceThat is crossfit for you.

The Franchise
01-23-2014, 05:41 PM
That is crossfit for you.

Just like everything......there are good Crossfit gyms and horrible ones. One of my good friends helps run a Crossfit gym here in town. I think it was Omaha that said that where he goes there aren't beginner classes. My friend's gym is the same way. You aren't allowed to join the classes until you've had multiple sessions with a trainer who can teach you the proper techniques.

Omaha
01-23-2014, 05:47 PM
That is crossfit for you.

No, it's not. That's just plain stupid. I have a hard time believing that video is real. That shit is more likely to happen at my regular gym than my crossfit gym. That doesn't happen at my crossfit gym EVER.

RunKC
01-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Need some excercise ideas to work out my entire midsection. Need to get this fat turned into muscle. Note: my eating has been much better.

ThaVirus
01-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Heh.

Jimmya
01-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Love that thumbnail!

penguinz
01-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Need some excercise ideas to work out my entire midsection. Need to get this fat turned into muscle. Note: my eating has been much better.

You can't turn fat into muscle.

Silock
01-23-2014, 07:03 PM

Can't spot reduce fat. You're going to have to eat less.

penguinz
01-23-2014, 07:15 PM
No, it's not. That's just plain stupid. I have a hard time believing that video is real. That shit is more likely to happen at my regular gym than my crossfit gym. That doesn't happen at my crossfit gym EVER.Crossfit is a cult and you are fully brainwashed! :p

morphius
01-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Your body chooses which fat it will burn off first no matter what part of your body you excercise. Guess which part itsave for last on most men...

Buehler445
01-23-2014, 11:30 PM

Oh my fuck.

Crossfit or not just fuck.

My back hurts just watching that shit.

Omaha
01-26-2014, 11:33 PM
I bought 2 tubs that can sit on my counter. I filled them with ice and gave my elbows 2 15 minute ice baths. My arms feel slightly better.

Buehler445
01-26-2014, 11:36 PM
I bought 2 tubs that can sit on my counter. I filled them with ice and gave my elbows 2 15 minute ice baths. My arms feel slightly better.

Keep doing it. As often as possible.

Omaha
01-26-2014, 11:38 PM
I'm also staying away from cleans for a while.

Omaha
01-27-2014, 08:55 AM
I'm 1 week into a 3 week strength phase of my buddy's program. We're doing heavy sets of 4-6 reps. I'm really hopeful that I'll blast through a couple of plateaus when we test again. (Except cleans. I'm pissed that I had to give them up for a while.) I've noticed that I am needing a lot more sleep lately. I worked out on Saturday and then hibernated the rest of the weekend.

Aspengc8
01-27-2014, 11:25 AM

I almost spit my coffee all over.. Mixed grip and a fat bar for cleaning.. LMAO!

I almost think they did this video as a joke on purpose.. people really cant be this dumb.

Omaha
01-27-2014, 01:51 PM
I beat my old max on deadlift today during my workout. I'm pretty happy with my progress during this program.

jiveturkey
01-27-2014, 02:08 PM
I almost spit my coffee all over.. Mixed grip and a fat bar for cleaning.. LMAO!

I almost think they did this video as a joke on purpose.. people really cant be this dumb.
It has to be fake, right????

Just in the preview shot there's 4 plates on each side of the bar. That's fucking heavy. Even if they're 25's that's still a lot of a soft bodied chick.

jiveturkey
01-27-2014, 02:17 PM
The class I've been taking has helped me quite a bit too.

It's basically 1 month of hypertrophy, 1 week deload, 1 month of endurance lifting, 1 week deload, 1 month of power/strength....

I started during the endurance phase, which ruined me. I was doing the Rippatoe Starting Strength program for way too long (5x5's) and jumping into a 4x15 program ensured that I slept well. I was literally on the verge of passing out and vomiting all over the place. It felt good. :evil:

Now I'm back to the 2nd power phase and deadlifts have jumped 40lbs since the last go around. This is after being plateaued on Starting Strength for probably 6 months.

Omaha
01-27-2014, 02:46 PM
The class I've been taking has helped me quite a bit too.

It's basically 1 month of hypertrophy, 1 week deload, 1 month of endurance lifting, 1 week deload, 1 month of power/strength....

I started during the endurance phase, which ruined me. I was doing the Rippatoe Starting Strength program for way too long (5x5's) and jumping into a 4x15 program ensured that I slept well. I was literally on the verge of passing out and vomiting all over the place. It felt good. :evil:

Now I'm back to the 2nd power phase and deadlifts have jumped 40lbs since the last go around. This is after being plateaued on Starting Strength for probably 6 months.

That's where we started. I remember commenting that 15 reps was an infuriating # of reps to be doing. I was very happy to move to the hypertrophy phase.

Demonpenz
01-27-2014, 04:29 PM
I cut my carbs...didn't eat my own birthday cake. I walk a couple miles a day. I am down a few pounds.

penguinz
01-27-2014, 04:31 PM
It has to be fake, right????

Just in the preview shot there's 4 plates on each side of the bar. That's ****ing heavy. Even if they're 25's that's still a lot of a soft bodied chick.They are 15's.

Omaha
01-27-2014, 04:34 PM
They are 15's.

They look just like the 10 lb bumper plates they have at my crossfit gym.

Aspengc8
01-27-2014, 04:45 PM

I think your right. The Gold's near me has a section with bumper plates, and they look almost the same as 45's. I threw some on a curl bar for shits n giggles and was reppin out "225" lol.

Aspengc8
01-27-2014, 04:47 PM
I cut my carbs...didn't eat my own birthday cake. I walk a couple miles a day. I am down a few pounds.

Not eating your own cake is some serious dedication, my man. The wifey and I both have bdays in March, we are looking forward to housing a cold stone mint ice cream cake :)

ThaVirus
01-27-2014, 04:54 PM
That's actually kind of impressive. Assuming they're 10s and the bar weighs 45, that's 125 pounds.

Those chicks probably weigh right around that amount.

penguinz
01-27-2014, 07:56 PM

The golds I go to has a few and they ate 15's.

lewdog
01-27-2014, 07:58 PM
They are definitely 10's. It's a Crossfit routine to stack as many of the 10's on the bar and claim a heavy lift because it looks "cool."

Big Poppa Payne
01-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Can he do it with a controlled negative and not bounce it off his chest?

He bounced a little, not that much though. Anyway that's still impressive and more than almost everyone in the NFL can bench.

Omaha
01-27-2014, 09:47 PM
They are definitely 10's. It's a Crossfit routine to stack as many of the 10's on the bar and claim a heavy lift because it looks "cool."

That's my favorite WOD.

lewdog
01-27-2014, 09:50 PM
That's my favorite WOD.

I was also assuming your deadlift PR was 225lbs with bumper plates that filled out the bar so far that you couldn't even put collars on it.

Omaha
01-27-2014, 10:43 PM
I was also assuming your deadlift PR was 225lbs with bumper plates that filled out the bar so far that you couldn't even put collars on it.

#crossfitproblems

penguinz
01-27-2014, 10:43 PM
He bounced a little, not that much though. Anyway that's still impressive and more than almost everyone in the NFL can bench.

He bounced, too fast of a negative. That being said if he had good power lifting form he could put up more.

Aspengc8
01-28-2014, 07:58 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/b5z5_Iz7MAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Am I the only one that thinks this video is suspect? The plates look like they could be 25lb bumpers, and judging by his overall 'thickness', he does not look like someone that even benches 405 for reps (which he could do if he hits 500+ for a triple). Having the frame for a 500 bench means your pulling over 700 and squatting 600. He does not look the role to me.

penguinz
01-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Am I the only one that thinks this video is suspect? The plates look like they could be 25lb bumpers, and judging by his overall 'thickness', he does not look like someone that even benches 405 for reps (which he could do if he hits 500+ for a triple). Having the frame for a 500 bench means your pulling over 700 and squatting 600. He does not look the role to me.I think that is deceiving. He is 6'6" and 285 lbs.... He has the bulk to do it.

I thought the same about the plates at first as well.... I think they are just coated with rubber.

Aspengc8
01-28-2014, 09:11 AM
I think that is deceiving. He is 6'6" and 285 lbs.... He has the bulk to do it.

I thought the same about the plates at first as well.... I think they are just coated with rubber.

I see your point.. just seems a little fishy. We had some monsters on the semi pro team I played on that used that type of weight, and just dwarf him in size. One guy is around the same height, but heavier, around 315 lean, and was cut by the Giants. Dude is built like a brick shithouse. Kid might just be crazy strong though. Id like to see his squat and DL.

Omaha
01-28-2014, 09:14 AM
My little bro is a senior in HS and he just broke his school's bench press record by pressing 385 lbs. He wants to clear 400 before he graduates in May.

Big Poppa Payne
01-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Am I the only one that thinks this video is suspect? The plates look like they could be 25lb bumpers, and judging by his overall 'thickness', he does not look like someone that even benches 405 for reps (which he could do if he hits 500+ for a triple). Having the frame for a 500 bench means your pulling over 700 and squatting 600. He does not look the role to me.

I agree it looks a little too easy for him but he's 6'6 285 and a 5 star college recruit with scholarship offers to Notre Dame, Texas A&M, TCU and Auburn so I would say it's probably legit.

Jimmya
01-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Texas high school power lifting meet last year had a sophomore squat 820!

Big Poppa Payne
01-28-2014, 09:52 AM
He bounced, too fast of a negative. That being said if he had good power lifting form he could put up more.

My point is he's still just a kid, he's raw. Can you imagine what a good strength coach can do with this kid once he gets a college. I have a feeling we'll be seeing him play on Sundays here in about 4 or 5 years.

Big Poppa Payne
01-28-2014, 10:05 AM
This is a friend of mine that I used to play football with his name is Bubba Dowling.
Here he is benching 744lbs.. He's an animal.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YO43JEUYVb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jimmya
01-28-2014, 10:23 AM
That's insane.

penguinz
01-28-2014, 11:24 AM
http://thefitbaldman.com/4/post/2013/10/pre-workout-gummies-using-cellucor-c4.html

Want a fun new way to enjoy your pre workout? Well now you can, with these Pre-workout gummies using Cellucor's delicious C4. These gummies taste great and are very portable. You can make a double batch for the week and pack them away in tupperware or ziplock bags. With this recipe, 1 scoop of C4 is equal to 13 gummies. The best part of this recipe is one serving of pre-workout gummies has a whopping 8 g of protein.

Difficulty: Easy

Total Time: 30 min.

Macros: 40 calories. Fat-0g/Carbs-1g/Protein-8g/ Fiber-12g

Ingredients:

1 package (.30 OZ) sugar free JELL-O (I used cherry flavor)
3 envelopes (21.6g total) unflavored gelatin (I used Knox brand)
4 scoops fruit punch Cellucor C4 pre-workout
1/2 cup ice cold water
Candy molds 36 total (They usually come with 18 per tray, so 3 trays are needed)

Directions:

1.) Mix the gelatin with the C4 and Jello
2.) Slowly add the gelatin, C4, and Jell-O to 1/2 cup of cold water. (make sure water is ice cold)

3.) Mix well in the bowl.

4.) Allow to stand until mixture is thick and slushy.

5.) Microwave the mixture on high for 1 minute and 15 seconds (or just until the top of the mixture bubbles or foams).

6.) Using an eyedropper or small spoon, carefully pour mixture into the molds.

7.) Put the molds in a freezer for 10 minutes, or overnight.

8.) Remove (http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Melted-Crayon-from-Car-Seats) from freezer, and remove the candy from the candy molds.

9.) Store the gummy bears in airtight containers or Ziploc bag.

The Franchise
01-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Started a new routine last night.....and my fucking hip hurts.

Aspengc8
01-28-2014, 02:11 PM
http://thefitbaldman.com/4/post/2013/10/pre-workout-gummies-using-cellucor-c4.html

Want a fun new way to enjoy your pre workout? Well now you can, with these Pre-workout gummies using Cellucor's delicious C4. These gummies taste great and are very portable. You can make a double batch for the week and pack them away in tupperware or ziplock bags. With this recipe, 1 scoop of C4 is equal to 13 gummies. The best part of this recipe is one serving of pre-workout gummies has a whopping 8 g of protein.

Difficulty: Easy

Total Time: 30 min.

Macros: 40 calories. Fat-0g/Carbs-1g/Protein-8g/ Fiber-12g

Ingredients:

1 package (.30 OZ) sugar free JELL-O (I used cherry flavor)
3 envelopes (21.6g total) unflavored gelatin (I used Knox brand)
4 scoops fruit punch Cellucor C4 pre-workout
1/2 cup ice cold water
Candy molds 36 total (They usually come with 18 per tray, so 3 trays are needed)

Directions:

1.) Mix the gelatin with the C4 and Jello
2.) Slowly add the gelatin, C4, and Jell-O to 1/2 cup of cold water. (make sure water is ice cold)

3.) Mix well in the bowl.

4.) Allow to stand until mixture is thick and slushy.

5.) Microwave the mixture on high for 1 minute and 15 seconds (or just until the top of the mixture bubbles or foams).

6.) Using an eyedropper or small spoon, carefully pour mixture into the molds.

7.) Put the molds in a freezer for 10 minutes, or overnight.

8.) Remove (http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Melted-Crayon-from-Car-Seats) from freezer, and remove the candy from the candy molds.

9.) Store the gummy bears in airtight containers or Ziploc bag.

i love c4... one of the better pre's out there, IMO.

Omaha
01-29-2014, 10:29 AM
I don't know what it is about this week, but I pulled a PR on deadlift monday and I PR'd my bench press yesterday. I wish every week could be like this.

The Franchise
01-29-2014, 10:51 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rrhc5-Fxo0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Omaha
01-29-2014, 10:55 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rrhc5-Fxo0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just sent this to some of my friends.

If you wanna know what it feels like to armwrestle Zeus's dick with your butt....

Aspengc8
01-29-2014, 10:59 AM

Dude is funny as hell. I'm guilty of wearing Beats though.

penguinz
01-29-2014, 11:04 AM
I don't know what it is about this week, but I pulled a PR on deadlift monday and I PR'd my bench press yesterday. I wish every week could be like this.I PR'd on bench this week as well. Only 250lbs. Decent for a person that is usually around 160-165lbs with two separated AC joints and tears in both RC's.

Goal is to be at 275 on bench by summer.

Big Poppa Payne
01-29-2014, 11:11 AM
I PR'd on bench this week as well. Only 250lbs. Decent for a person that is usually around 160-165lbs with two separated AC joints and tears in both RC's.

Goal is to be at 275 on bench by summer.

I had my Labrum and RC done last year and I can't even do straight bar bench anymore. My dr. told me to stick to dumbbell bench, does straight bar bench bother you at all?

penguinz
01-29-2014, 11:16 AM
I had my Labrum and RC done last year and I can't even do straight bar bench anymore. My dr. told me to stick to dumbbell bench, does straight bar bench bother you at all?I would think you would be fine if you did a power lifters bench over a body builders bench (yes there is a difference). The power lifting bench puts less stress on shoulders.

Simply Red
01-29-2014, 11:25 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IEcpmW-DzrE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big Poppa Payne
01-29-2014, 11:31 AM
I would think you would be fine if you did a power lifters bench over a body builders bench (yes there is a difference). The power lifting bench puts less stress on shoulders.

Huh, I'll have to look that up. What hurts me is that the straight bar bench constricts my range of motion. I was benching well over 400 before my surgery and now I'm lucky to bench 225 on a straight bar bench. On dumbbell bench I can pick up 150's and go to town though because I can turn my elbows in a little.

Buehler445
01-29-2014, 11:46 AM

ROFL

Do you want to know how to look like an asshole faster and more decisively than ever?

penguinz
01-29-2014, 11:55 AM
Huh, I'll have to look that up. What hurts me is that the straight bar bench constricts my range of motion. I was benching well over 400 before my surgery and now I'm lucky to bench 225 on a straight bar bench. On dumbbell bench I can pick up 150's and go to town though because I can turn my elbows in a little.<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/146fAU-hfFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big Poppa Payne
01-29-2014, 11:59 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/146fAU-hfFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's cool, thanks for posting that.

Braincase
01-29-2014, 12:00 PM
Going to start lifting with my son. He's 12, so we're not doing any squats until he reaches his full height. Thanks for the links to the starter workouts. I think I'll take a look at some other options to work arms and core a bit more. Mostly, I just need to stick to my walking regimen. The boy, on the other hand, needs to have a passion for lifting cultivated. He plays football and wrestles (and golf), and for the fall I really want him to have plenty of muscle on him to protect his inner organs and skeleton.

Big Poppa Payne
01-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Going to start lifting with my son. He's 12, so we're not doing any squats until he reaches his full height. Thanks for the links to the starter workouts. I think I'll take a look at some other options to work arms and core a bit more. Mostly, I just need to stick to my walking regimen. The boy, on the other hand, needs to have a passion for lifting cultivated. He plays football and wrestles (and golf), and for the fall I really want him to have plenty of muscle on him to protect his inner organs and skeleton.

Good for you man, he'll thank you for it someday. I wish my dad would've got me into the gym when I was that age.

mr. tegu
01-29-2014, 12:16 PM

He should probably just stick with golf. The potential for earning good money longer is greater.

The golfers diet is very strict, but effective. I think it calls for a variety of different fast food meals each week. You need to go to different ones because getting the beef in different forms helps with fat production. Also, you want to avoid lifting weights because building muscle limits the range of motion golfers need. Also, make sure to avoid stretching exercises so that when a tournament starts out bad he can have a good excuse to not continue, that doesn't involve admitting playing poorly.

This type of commitment is diffucult, but the rewards will be great.

penguinz
01-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Going to start lifting with my son. He's 12, so we're not doing any squats until he reaches his full height. Thanks for the links to the starter workouts. I think I'll take a look at some other options to work arms and core a bit more. Mostly, I just need to stick to my walking regimen. The boy, on the other hand, needs to have a passion for lifting cultivated. He plays football and wrestles (and golf), and for the fall I really want him to have plenty of muscle on him to protect his inner organs and skeleton.He can do squats. Just keep the weight low and do high rep with concentration on form. This will help him when he is older and can go full effort as he will have the muscle memory of a proper squat.

KC native
01-29-2014, 02:18 PM
He should probably just stick with golf. The potential for earning good money longer is greater.

The golfers diet is very strict, but effective. I think it calls for a variety of different fast food meals each week. You need to go to different ones because getting the beef in different forms helps with fat production. Also, you want to avoid lifting weights because building muscle limits the range of motion golfers need. Also, make sure to avoid stretching exercises so that when a tournament starts out bad he can have a good excuse to not continue, that doesn't involve admitting playing poorly.

This type of commitment is diffucult, but the rewards will be great.

ROFL

ChiefsOne
01-29-2014, 02:54 PM
No, it's not. That's just plain stupid. I have a hard time believing that video is real. That shit is more likely to happen at my regular gym than my crossfit gym. That doesn't happen at my crossfit gym EVER.

Completely agree Omaha, our CF gym has some great trainers. It would NEVER happen here either!

Aspengc8
01-29-2014, 03:38 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/146fAU-hfFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thats a really crappy example of a powerlifting setup.

If you care about your barbell bench going up, watch Tate's 5 video series.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EHx1gYTA-Rw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you just want to take your shirt off and look like you bench alot, just do dumbells and lots of flies/pec dec.

Silock
01-29-2014, 03:43 PM
Tate's series FTW. Best ever.

penguinz
01-29-2014, 04:02 PM
Thats a really crappy example of a powerlifting setup.

If you care about your barbell bench going up, watch Tate's 5 video series.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EHx1gYTA-Rw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

If you just want to take your shirt off and look like you bench alot, just do dumbells and lots of flies/pec dec.Much better video. Thx!

Hammock Parties
02-01-2014, 03:32 PM
So I go to LA fitness for the sole purpose it is walking distance from my work. I've trained there for about 2 years now.

Roughly 3 months ago I was doing squats in the squat rack and made eye contact with this guy. Didn't think anything of it, until he is right in front of me while I am finishing my set. Mind you I still have the bar on my back and he asks loudly "If I have a fucking problem". I say "Ughh no."

He then asks what the fuck am I looking at then. I just laughed and said "What" he continued to get in my face, and I got upset and told him to fuck off and get out of my face. Quickly a employee of the gym stops the confrontation and thats the end of it.

People at the gym were like wtf is that guys problem yada yada. One of his buddies later on comes up to me and sort of apologies for how his friend acted and said he has issues and that he is 16. Mind you he is about 5'8 and thick. Like probably around 225 pound a lot of muscle. I honestly thought he was around my age or maybe a few years younger.

So I just told his friend dont worry about it, its not a big deal. Well today I went to the gym and he was there with his chronies. I noticed him staring at me multiple times, but just ignored him. On my way out of the locker room, he happened to pass by with his chronies, obviously was staring me down, I just smiled and as I passed by he says "bitch" and does one of those pro wrestling "Wooo's"

Honestly I hate to say it, but he drives me nuts, in my younger days I would of done something, however I have a great job and a lot of other reasons why I dont smash his face with a brick. Any advice for this jobber?

Buehler445
02-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Put your headphones in and don't worry about it.

ThaVirus
02-08-2014, 12:36 AM
I used to get hungry every four hours like clockwork. I'd start to shake and feel weak if I didn't get some food in my system ASAP. On this diet, I've come to realize how easy it is just to not eat. Lately I can go to the gym 8 hours after a meal with no problem.

Now I have even less sympathy for fat people.

ThaVirus
02-09-2014, 11:02 PM
A few months ago I bought my usual ON whey protein mix but they had a buy one get one sale on some casein so I picked up a couple containers of that as well. I tried it for the first time today and it tasted like Christmas morning.

I've never used casein before so I'm curious as to whether or not I'll feel or see a difference.

Silock
02-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Casein is thicker, but it doesn't really make a difference in terms of muscle building.

BigCatDaddy
02-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Casein is thicker, but it doesn't really make a difference in terms of muscle building.

I think there were some recent study's done showing whey to be superior in aiding muscle growth.

ThaVirus
02-09-2014, 11:50 PM
I think there were some recent study's done showing whey to be superior in aiding muscle growth.

FUCK!

Silock
02-09-2014, 11:55 PM

Long term, it doesn't really make a difference. Whey stimulates MPS faster, casein does it for longer. They both elicit the same effect in the end.

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/casein-vs-whey-new-study/

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2012/05/whey-and-casein-work-hand-in-hand-for.html

Omaha
02-10-2014, 09:18 AM
I have always been told to take whey after a workout and casein at night prior to going to bed. That seems to make sense, but I'm pretty sure I'm about to be told I'm wrong.

Silock
02-10-2014, 11:09 AM
I have always been told to take whey after a workout and casein at night prior to going to bed. That seems to make sense, but I'm pretty sure I'm about to be told I'm wrong.

You're not wrong. It just doesn't really matter that much.

Hammock Parties
02-10-2014, 09:36 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rkbzZakcVrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Franchise
02-13-2014, 06:13 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-HlBCuMuxZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigCatDaddy
02-13-2014, 07:03 PM
Down about 20lbs in 6 weeks on keto and I'm able to maintain strength on my lifts so far. Look flat a bit but it will be worth in a few months.

penguinz
02-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Down about 20lbs in 6 weeks on keto and I'm able to maintain strength on my lifts so far. Look flat a bit but it will be worth in a few months.

I have put on 12lbs in last couple of weeks. Going to need to drop it soon.