PDA

View Full Version : Football Do Kansas City Chiefs have enough around QB Alex Smith?

TripleThreat
01-04-2014, 12:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-playoffs/0ap2000000308887/Do-Chiefs-have-enough-around-Alex-Smith

Pretty good video. My bad if this was posted alrdy

Red Dawg
01-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Hell no. Alex is not Brady, Manning, Brees or Rogers. He needs a solid cast around him. He has nothing at WR that qualifies as enough.

notorious
01-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Uh-Oh.

This thread will deliver.

AIDS.

keg in kc
01-04-2014, 01:00 PM
You can never put enough around alex smith.

Sorter
01-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Can you ever have enough?

Mr. Laz
01-04-2014, 01:05 PM
You can never put enough around alex smith.
complete and utter bullshit

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Wasn't Alex Smith 1 catch away from the super bowl in san fran?

If our defense hadn't collapsed this year we would have a legit chance to make the super bowl and our WRs are weak as hell.

BossChief
01-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Donnie Avery was good enough last year (with a rookie Andrew Luck) to have 800 yards.
Dwayne Bowe is usually an automatic 1000 yard guy
Jamaal Charles is one of the top 5 offensive players in the sport.
The defense is 5th in the league in scoring d.
The defense and special teams set records for scoring and effectiveness.

I'd say Alex has enough around him to win against teams like Indy.

To ask for a lot more than that to be "around him" is unrealistic.

mcaj22
01-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Donnie Avery was good enough last year (with a rookie Andrew Luck) to have 800 yards.
Dwayne Bowe is usually an automatic 1000 yard guy
Jamaal Charles is one of the top 5 offensive players in the sport.
The defense is 5th in the league in scoring d.
The defense and special teams set records for scoring and effectiveness.

I'd say Alex has enough around him to win against teams like Indy.

To ask for a lot more than that to be "around him" is unrealistic.

we also don't have any TE threat or a slot WR. Pretty much all the good teams in the playoffs have that, in some form to create mismatches

Deberg_1990
01-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Not yet. Give Dorsey/Reid another year or two to get all the pieces in place

BossChief
01-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Fasano and Dexter may not be game breakers, but they are solid players when they are on the field.

Do we have the firepower of a team like Denver? Probably not, but we have enough talent on this offense to put up enough points to win against teams like Indy that have more holes than us.

Hammock Parties
01-04-2014, 01:26 PM
there's never enough talent for slapdick QBs like Alex and Cassel

BlackHelicopters
01-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Weapons. Weapons?

Saccopoo
01-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Fasano and Dexter may not be game breakers, but they are solid players when they are on the field.

Do we have the firepower of a team like Denver? Probably not, but we have enough talent on this offense to put up enough points to win against teams like Indy that have more holes than us.

Exactly.

The Colts certainly have more question marks going into this game, especially without Wayne.

Oh, and fuck TY Hilton.

J Diddy
01-04-2014, 01:31 PM

Everyday you become more and more like Randy Quaid's character in Major League 2.

I envision you sitting in your mother's basement with a Chiefs jersey on with an X fashioned out of electrical tape covering the number and an inside out hat on every time you log on.

InChiefsHeaven
01-04-2014, 01:33 PM
I agree that he doesn't have any elite talent to throw at, at least this season. Bowe has been a disappointment, and outside of him...who else really? Charles, who they will be keying on. What we have going for us is that we know that Bowe can be better and has been, and our other receivers deliver, albeit inconsistently. Alex spreads the ball around, maybe out of necessity, maybe because it's just who he is. This game comes down to long, mistake free drives and Jamaal Charles for the offense. On defense, we gotta keep Luck off the damn field, and when he's on it, kick his ass. Tall order.

We can win this, but performance of late has been a little scary. Hope they can get it all together today.

keg in kc
01-04-2014, 01:33 PM

If our defense hadn't collapsed this year we would have a legit chance to make the super bowl and our WRs are weak as hell.And this is why you can never have enough around Alex Smith. Because someone will always say it's the offensive line, or the receivers, or the defense. Even though he has the conference's best running back, even though he was sacked less here than in SF in 2011 (on more pass attempts), even though he has a receiver who posted 1000-yard seasons with purportedly worse backup QBs throwing him the ball (yet now is apparently no good), even though he has another reciever that somehow, miraculously posted 800 yards last year.

They'll bring in more receivers, maybe find him a TE, and we'll be having the same discussion next year, asking what else he needs, asking when he'll finally have enough.

Saccopoo
01-04-2014, 01:35 PM
I agree that he doesn't have any elite talent to throw at, at least this season. Bowe has been a disappointment, and outside of him...who else really? Charles, who they will be keying on. What we have going for us is that we know that Bowe can be better and has been, and our other receivers deliver, albeit inconsistently. Alex spreads the ball around, maybe out of necessity, maybe because it's just who he is. This game comes down to long, mistake free drives and Jamaal Charles for the offense. On defense, we gotta keep Luck off the damn field, and when he's on it, kick his ass. Tall order.

We can win this, but performance of late has been a little scary. Hope they can get it all together today.

The Colts benefitted from some of the most atypical Chiefs play in the 2013 season. Turnovers, penalites, etc. It was a comedy of errors by the Chiefs.

That won't happen twice.

We kick their ass today.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2014, 01:38 PM
And this is why you can never have enough around Alex Smith. Because someone will always say it's the offensive line, or the receivers, or the defense. Even though he has the conference's best running back, even though he was sacked less here than in SF in 2011 (on more pass attempts), even though he has a receiver who posted 1000-yard seasons with purportedly worse backup QBs throwing him the ball (yet now is apparently no good), even though he has another reciever that somehow, miraculously posted 800 yards last years.

They'll bring in more receivers, maybe find him a TE, and we'll be having the same discussion next year, asking what else he needs, asking when he'll finally have enough.
so until a QB wins a super bowl there is never enough? Prove a negative?

derp,derp,derp

congrats ... you've gone from being a thoughtful and intelligent poster to gochiefs. Congrats.

Discuss Thrower
01-04-2014, 01:41 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jRPWFzONm88" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Halfcan
01-04-2014, 01:43 PM

ROFL

RealSNR
01-04-2014, 01:43 PM
We could use more, but the way this offense has been operating the past few games, we're good enough get the job done.

If we had some defensive backs worth a shit or a coordinator who made the right adjustments (whichever one is the cause of our problems) then we'd be really cooking with fire.

Easy 6
01-04-2014, 01:45 PM
A true number one receiver and someone who resembles a playmaker at tight end.

Gimme those two things and i'll have no excuses to offer for Axl.

As far as receiver, he doesn't have to be a true number one, but he needs to be more dynamic than Bowe and more reliable than Avery... a guy like say, Jeremy Maclin.

Dunerdr
01-04-2014, 01:55 PM
The way I see this is... Does kc have as much as Baltimore had last year. No, no, and no.

keg in kc
01-04-2014, 02:06 PM
so until a QB wins a super bowl there is never enough? Prove a negative?Yeah, because I totally said that. Nowhere. Ever.derp,derp,derp

congrats ... you've gone from being a thoughtful and intelligent poster to gochiefs. Congrats.I'm not sure why you want to get into nonsense like that, but whatever. That's not my bag. :shrug:

Alex is limited. I think it's more mental than physical, but that's only an opinion. He's conservative to the point that he smothers offensive production, in both the passing and the running aspects of the offense. And I'm sorry, but Dwayne Bowe didn't suddenly fall apart. He has a quarterback that's terrified of attempting a pass if there's a defender within 5 yards of him, as proven time and time again both here and in San Francisco. There's a long established trend there, and many of us pointed that out months ago, before they even set foot on the practice field, much less on gameday. And lo and behold, as predicted, Dwayne Bowe's production is down. Way down.

TE is a problem here, I think everyone would agree to that, primarily due to the bad string of injuries. But that's pretty much it. The line's done their job, getting stronger as the year progresses. The running backs are I think the best stable we've had here in my memory. And, frankly, I think this is the best group of WRs we've had here in my memory as well. They have big body receivers, they have quick-twitch receivers, they have players to fill every role you can conceive of (although don't ask me why Chad Hall has ever seen the field). Could they upgrade? Sure. You always want to be better everywhere you can. But this roster should be good enough for anyone to succeed at QB. You're never going to field 11 pro bowlers on offense.

Alex Smith is, as much as anyone else on the offense, a problem. Because at the end of the day, he is what we thought he was.

Now...does that mean they can't win today? No. I have never and would never say that. Does that mean they can't win a championship with him? No. Again, I have never and would never say that. Simply put, you're lying if you characterize me in that way.

What I am saying is that if we're talking about upgrading this roster, Alex's name needs to be a part of that discussion as much as anyone else's.

Eleazar
01-04-2014, 02:22 PM
No, he's got Charles and not much else. But we have to try to win with the guys in the locker room right now.

Mav
01-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Same old song and dance.

"Donny Avery had 800 yards for the Colts last year."

Donny Avery was the 4th option at BEST on the colts behind Allen, Fleener, TY Hilton, Reggie Wayne. You pick which of those four he was behind.

Dwayne Bowe was a 1000 Yard receiver. Derp Derp. He didn't play like one this year.

OF course the Chiefs need more talent.

Or, is anyone really going to go full retard and say that of all the teams in the playoffs, that the Chiefs have more talent on offense than Seattle, Denver, 49ers, Cinci?

The answer is NO.

They don't even have more talent than the Packers, or the Bolts.

They may have more offensive talent right now than the Patriots, and the Colts, because Allen is out, Ahmad Bradshaw, Vik Ballard, and Reggie Wayne.

But those two teams have had superior qbs. They have had superior defenses down the stretch.

No. Absolutely not. Just get a FRANCHISE QB, and this offense is ELITE, DERP DERP.

Reerun_KC
01-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Ah a GoKendrick herp deep masturbation thread.

cdcox
01-04-2014, 02:53 PM
The ironic thing is that the better your QB is, the more he will get out of his receivers. You could give Smith Denver's or New Orleans WRs and he just isn't going to fully utilize that group, especially if he has an easy productive target like Jamaal Charles. The highest return on investment for a guy like Smth would be a slot WR like Welker or a really good TE. He won't deliver the ball to the WR positions as frequently as the top tier QBs so it doesn't make that much sense to poor a ton of money into that position. Look at the difference in Crabtree's production under the two QBs.

BossChief
01-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Same old song and dance.

"Donny Avery had 800 yards for the Colts last year."

Donny Avery was the 4th option at BEST on the colts behind Allen, Fleener, TY Hilton, Reggie Wayne. You pick which of those four he was behind.

Dwayne Bowe was a 1000 Yard receiver. Derp Derp. He didn't play like one this year.

OF course the Chiefs need more talent.

Or, is anyone really going to go full retard and say that of all the teams in the playoffs, that the Chiefs have more talent on offense than Seattle, Denver, 49ers, Cinci?

The answer is NO.

They don't even have more talent than the Packers, or the Bolts.

They may have more offensive talent right now than the Patriots, and the Colts, because Allen is out, Ahmad Bradshaw, Vik Ballard, and Reggie Wayne.

But those two teams have had superior qbs. They have had superior defenses down the stretch.

No. Absolutely not. Just get a FRANCHISE QB, and this offense is ELITE, DERP DERP.

Alex needs to get Bowe involved more each week and there is no dodging that issue.

Here are the amount of targets Bowe has gotten each year:

117 rookie year
158 with Thigpen
87 Cassels first year
132 15 tds
141 1150 yards
114 missed 3 games
105 full 16 games with Alex Smith.

O.city
01-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Can you ever have enough talent around any qb? He'll, even if we had manning, I'd want to bring in welker etc.

keg in kc
01-04-2014, 03:07 PM
The ironic thing is that the better your QB is, the more he will get out of his receivers. You could give Smith Denver's or New Orleans WRs and he just isn't going to fully utilize that group, especially if he has an easy productive target like Jamaal Charles. The highest return on investment for a guy like Smth would be a slot WR like Welker or a really good TE. He won't deliver the ball to the WR positions as frequently as the top tier QBs so it doesn't make that much sense to poor a ton of money into that position. Look at the difference in Crabtree's production under the two QBs.Yep. Good quarterbacks elevate the players around them. I think it's telling that our receiver production has gotten worse.

TE I think, more than slot receiver. He seems more comfortable with TEs, for whatever reason. And maybe a threat in that area takes some bracketing away from Bowe.

Ragged Robin
01-04-2014, 03:07 PM

If our defense hadn't collapsed this year we would have a legit chance to make the super bowl and our WRs are weak as hell.

Smith had far superior weapons in SF. Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree. Gore is still a top 10 back and Vernon Davis is as explosive as anyone. Chiefs limp into the playoffs with the weakest wide receiver corps.. Bowe, Avery, Hall, Jenkins.. that's not scaring anyone.

Smith4Life
01-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Everyone knows that Smith isn't going to carry your team but his contract will not detriment a team's ability to put talent around him. Any team with someone like Smith should not depend on him to win the game. That being said, I watched the NO vs SF game in 2012, Smith put the team on his back and pulled through. He has the ability but he shouldn't be depended on to do it again and again. Solid fundamental football will bring victory.

BossChief
01-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Haha smith4life

Really?

Edit: that's just in response to the username not the content of the post.

ViperVisor
01-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Here are the amount of targets Bowe has gotten each year:

105 full 16 games with Alex Smith.

15 games

Smith threw about the same number of passes per game to Crabtree in 2012. And Crabtree was on pace for 900 yards. He was a key 3rd down conversion guy.

Not big numbers but...
the 49ers had 100 less passes in 2012 than KC in 2013.

You don't think Alex Smith would toss about 150 balls to a guy like AJ Green you are a moron.