PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Secondary

ILChief
01-05-2014, 07:37 AM
It sucks, but what to do. Lewis is a free agent and Robinson is owed a ton next year, so surely they are both gone.

I believe Demps and Abdullah are both free agents as well.

So under contract we have:

Corners
Flowers ($$$$ and declining)
Smith (started strong but started getting beat deep as the season went on)
Cooper (raw but talented)
Parker (didn't play much but when he did he made plays)

Safeties
Berry (bad game but one of the best)
Commings (injury prone. Corner or safety)

Do we re-sign demps or Abdullah? Are either starters? This draft doesn't look deep at safety, so that may have to be a free agent. Are you ok with the above corners? Who will be available? Will a new scheme fix everything?

I know i am rambling, it's a coping mechanism :)

rabblerouser
01-05-2014, 07:39 AM
I like Demps as a backup and Special Teamer. Maybe abdullah as well.

Keep Flowers, Berry, and Cooper. Everyone else should be gone.

DBOSHO
01-05-2014, 07:40 AM
Release dunta, kendrick, demps.

ChiefRocka
01-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Abdullah is decent but we need to draft DBs.

Smith was a stopgap measure, maybe another season.

spanky 52
01-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Demps and Abdullah deserve another shot. As much as everyone likes Flowers, he is declining and is being paid a shit load of money. Coopers best days are ahead of him. Have to hit on several db's in the draft this year.

DBOSHO
01-05-2014, 07:45 AM
After seeing demps get beat over the top several times this year id like to see him somewhere else. That is literally what yout position is trying to prevent.

Hopefully the sandman can contribute next year. We get the recieving core fixed in FA with maclin and/or someone else and do whatever it takes to get clinton-dix in the draft.

ILChief
01-05-2014, 07:46 AM
It's crazy that what was considered our biggest strength early on turned out to be our biggest weakness

ILChief
01-05-2014, 07:46 AM
After seeing demps get beat over the top several times this year id like to see him somewhere else. That is literally what yout position is trying to prevent.

Hopefully the sandman can contribute next year. We get the recieving core fixed in FA with maclin and/or someone else and do whatever it takes to get clinton-dix in the draft.

Demps is a KR only in my mind

bricks
01-05-2014, 07:48 AM
It's crazy that what was considered our biggest strength early on turned out to be our biggest weakness

If people can call us frauds, then they should look no further than the defense.

SeeingRed
01-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Keep Demps as a Kickoff returner...Smith and Lewis can walk and I'm cool with that...need to draft good DBs

SeeingRed
01-05-2014, 07:51 AM
If people can call us frauds, then they should look no further than the defense.

Could our secondary stop Florida State's WRs? serious question

dannybcaitlyn
01-05-2014, 07:52 AM
First thing I would do is get rid of Sutton and the secondary coaches. Then I would cut Lewis and Robinson. Keep Abdullah and Parker. Hopefully Dorsey and his scouting staff have done their homework on defensive backs in this years draft and build from there.

lewdog
01-05-2014, 07:58 AM
See what we can get for Flowers after this "Pro-Bowl" season that saw him decline pretty rapidly from last year.

Fuck you Lewis and Robinson.

ILChief
01-05-2014, 07:59 AM
See what we can get for Flowers after this "Pro-Bowl" season that saw him decline pretty rapidly from last year.

Fuck you Lewis and Robinson.

I'd take a third for him

lewdog
01-05-2014, 08:18 AM
I'd take a third for him

I'm not really sure his value but flaunt that Pro-bowl tag and see if the retard teams like the Cowboys take a flyer.

SeeingRed
01-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Def need to draft DBs early

rabblerouser
01-05-2014, 08:50 AM
I'm not really sure his value but flaunt that Pro-bowl tag and see if the retard teams like the Cowboys take a flyer.

he'd go there, team with Carr and flourish.

They'd have a pair of shutdown corners while we'd have Marcus Cooper and whoever we could find in the third round.

That's how that would work out for the Chiefs.

hitchief
01-05-2014, 12:18 PM
team needs a FS for sure so we let Lewis and Demps go (Dexter can return both punts and KO's). Since we are letting Albert walk and I'm thinking Asamoah as well, we take that money and go after Bryd (FA).

That instantly fixes the secondary and then must move on to getting an impact player on the line or a olb who can get pressure. Pressure on the qb = better seconday play. Give any qb time and the will kill even the best db's.

greatgooglymoogly
01-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Berry is the only DB I would consider keeping.

l4z4rd
01-05-2014, 12:21 PM

weakness masked by a dominant pass rush.

Big Poppa Payne
01-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Next year will be a new group of DB's. Same results.

C'mon guys we've seen this shit for 20+ years. Terrible DB play is a fixture here in KC, you think plugging someone new in will fix that?

mcaj22
01-05-2014, 12:27 PM
if youre hoping for Sanders Commings to be the jesus christ of secondary players and fix everything then you are a lot more hopeful than I am for 2014.

suds79
01-05-2014, 12:28 PM
weakness masked by a dominant pass rush.

Exactly. And that's what we need to get back to. Need more pass rushers.

Does Lewis need to be gone? Yes. But if you want to fix the secondary, get a better pass rush.
Right now we have only two really good ones. And one of them is 30. Need more young talent getting after QBs.

milkman
01-05-2014, 12:31 PM
If I'm John Dorsey, my priority, given the limited resources available, my first 3 priorities this offseason on defense are free safety and depth behind Houston and Hali, and bitch slapping Sutton for not utilizing the obvious depth on the defensive front.

rabblerouser
01-05-2014, 12:32 PM
If I'm John Dorsey, my priority, given the limited resources available, my first 3 priorities this offseason on defense are free safety and depth behind Houston and Hali, and bitch slapping Sutton for not utilizing the obvious depth on the defensive front.

yep.

I can find better WRs after June 01 roster cuts.

Snapplez
01-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Abdullah's been $$. Should be a top priority re-sign

Sassy Squatch
01-05-2014, 12:39 PM
I almost want Ealy. Goddamn homer in me

lcarus
01-05-2014, 12:39 PM
We'll be in pretty good shape if we can get another pass rusher, a free safety, a corner, a wide receiver, and a tight end.

TambaBerry
01-05-2014, 12:50 PM
I really think 95% of our secondary problems are coaching, I don't know how many timea I saw our corners ten plus yards off the wr and he runs up and out for a wide open catch. Fire Sutton bring in someone who knows how to make adjustments and we will be better.

mnchiefsguy
01-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Given that Sutton getting fired is a long shot at best...this is probably the best scenario we can hope for.

mnchiefsguy
01-05-2014, 12:55 PM
I really think 95% of our secondary problems are coaching, I don't know how many timea I saw our corners ten plus yards off the wr and he runs up and out for a wide open catch. Fire Sutton bring in someone who knows how to make adjustments and we will be better.

The question you have to ask is...did Sutton have them play that way because it is ingrained into his defensive philosophy, or did he have them play that way because they sucked, and he thought that was the best? Not sure I know the answer to the question...but I will say that playing them that far off was not working, and changing it up would not have been any worse. That is completely on Sutton.

TambaBerry
01-05-2014, 01:01 PM
The question you have to ask is...did Sutton have them play that way because it is ingrained into his defensive philosophy, or did he have them play that way because they sucked, and he thought that was the best? Not sure I know the answer to the question...but I will say that playing them that far off was not working, and changing it up would not have been any worse. That is completely on Sutton.

Yep I agree, I may get shit for this but I don't like the way Berry is being used. I think he needs to be a roamer type he covers so much ground out there that he needs to be playing deep safety more.

mcan
01-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Conservative option:
-resign Demps and Abdullah. Let go of Robinson, Lewis, and Smith.
-Make one big free agent signing at Safety and a VERY high draft choice at corner. Coach em up and hope for the best next year.

Middle of the road option:
-resign EITHER Demps or Abdullah (probably Abdullah).
-Make two big draft picks defensive backs or trade up in the draft for a stud.
-resign EITHER Smith or Robinson (restructure?) for more depth.
-try to find one better than average starter in free agency and one more for depth.
-roster 10 dbs next year in case you find out you missed on one or more of these guys.

Aggressive option:
-Trade Flowers now. He's going to be worse next year than he was this year and he made the probowl for no good reason. His stock is low, and it sucks to take a loss on a guy you wanted around (and chose to keep over Carr), but you MUST cut bait on this guy before he becomes a Tyson Jackson story. Try your best to get a lone 2nd or a package of mid rounders.
-Use the acquired pick(s) to move up in the draft and take the best all around defensive back you can get. Grab another mid round guy with a high ceiling.
-let go of Lewis and Demps. They will have more value on a team looking for depth or special teams guys. We have Knile and Dexter for kick returns.
-Make a big free agent grab for a legit lockdown corner with the freed up money from Flowers' deal.

mcan
01-05-2014, 01:06 PM
I think Sutton had his hand forced. He had to scheme around the fact that his corners can't play solid bump and run against top level guys.

Easy 6
01-05-2014, 04:17 PM
We need a friggin TON of work back there, I'm not confident it can all be addressed by the start of 2014... Dorsey will need to pull every trick he has out of his hat to turn it into a strength in one year.

McBeard
01-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Demps (and Jordan) will be back. They are Reid's guys and both are great special teamers and back ups at the very least.

We need to let Lewis walk and I think we will.

I would try to resign Abdullah. He's a special teams stand out and has shown he can play when needed.

We won't sign Byrd, Ward or Bethea because they are to expensive.

Commings wasn't a very good corner in the first place so don't expect him to work out at safety. He's a longshot at best.

I'd look at someone like Malcom Jenkins and draft a FS if somebody a decent one falls to us.

At corner I would trade Flowers if possible. Ideally a 2nd and a 5th would be fair but I would take just a second. Rumor has it Tampa wants to get rid od Revis so they can continue running the cover 2. Revis didn't fit well in that system last season and Lovie runs the cover 2. His contract would be about equal to Bowe and Flowers combined. It's definately a longshot but I would try to trade both of them for Revis and I can't see any other scenario in which someone would trade for Bowe's contract. It's to expensive and he's not worth it. Flowers just doesn't fit anymore because he's small and he always gets hurt. It's obvious we want big corners because we signed four of them last year.

Smith is fine. He gets beat deep occasionally but I'd give him a B grade on the season.

I would try to sign Vontae Davis if we can afford him. He's big and fast and would be an upgrade over Flowers in Sutton's defense.

I like Cooper a lot and would be cool with starting him at LCB if we trade Flowers and don't sign anyone else. This is only his second season ever playing CB. He was a WR at Rutgers until his senior year. I think Al Harris will coach him up this offseason and really improve his press coverage. If we sign Davis or stay with Flowers, I would spend the offseason teaching him how to play nickel.

You definitely keep Parker. He has shown he can play in a pinch and is a special teams stand out.

We are missing a true nickel back. This has really turned into a problem. Some way somehow we need to find a true nickel back and this will probably have to be done through the draft. Right now Flowers is our best nickel and he's not that good at it. He's much better outside. Currently, Smith, Cooper, and Parker are not good nickel backs and are all built to play outside.

aturnis
01-06-2014, 12:21 PM

It's the fact that they could only play man. Seemed like every time we played zone coverage this year, something bad happened. Problem with man is, you beat it with crossing routes underneath.

That's where we got killed the second half of the season. The Last two games of the year, we only allowed like 6 completions past 10 yards, but the other team turned short passes into log gains. Same thing happened Saturday, against the Broncos etc.

This secondary has to learn how to play zone very well this offseason. If they can, with a new FS and maybe another addition, the defense will be fine.

aturnis
01-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Is the any reason Parker can't play FS? Too dumb or? He has good size, great speed and pretty decent coverage skills, but not good enough to be the starter at CB.

The Franchise
01-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Demps (and Jordan) will be back. They are Reid's guys and both are great special teamers and back ups at the very least.

We need to let Lewis walk and I think we will.

I would try to resign Abdullah. He's a special teams stand out and has shown he can play when needed.

We won't sign Byrd, Ward or Bethea because they are to expensive.

Commings wasn't a very good corner in the first place so don't expect him to work out at safety. He's a longshot at best.

I'd look at someone like Malcom Jenkins and draft a FS if somebody a decent one falls to us.

At corner I would trade Flowers if possible. Ideally a 2nd and a 5th would be fair but I would take just a second. Rumor has it Tampa wants to get rid od Revis so they can continue running the cover 2. Revis didn't fit well in that system last season and Lovie runs the cover 2. His contract would be about equal to Bowe and Flowers combined. It's definately a longshot but I would try to trade both of them for Revis and I can't see any other scenario in which someone would trade for Bowe's contract. It's to expensive and he's not worth it. Flowers just doesn't fit anymore because he's small and he always gets hurt. It's obvious we want big corners because we signed four of them last year.

Smith is fine. He gets beat deep occasionally but I'd give him a B grade on the season.

I would try to sign Vontae Davis if we can afford him. He's big and fast and would be an upgrade over Flowers in Sutton's defense.

I like Cooper a lot and would be cool with starting him at LCB if we trade Flowers and don't sign anyone else. This is only his second season ever playing CB. He was a WR at Rutgers until his senior year. I think Al Harris will coach him up this offseason and really improve his press coverage. If we sign Davis or stay with Flowers, I would spend the offseason teaching him how to play nickel.

You definitely keep Parker. He has shown he can play in a pinch and is a special teams stand out.

We are missing a true nickel back. This has really turned into a problem. Some way somehow we need to find a true nickel back and this will probably have to be done through the draft. Right now Flowers is our best nickel and he's not that good at it. He's much better outside. Currently, Smith, Cooper, and Parker are not good nickel backs and are all built to play outside.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/194/097/full_retard.jpg

notorious
01-06-2014, 12:30 PM
We need a word filter change.

Either "Sutton" or "Secondary" needs to be changed to "AIDS".

Mr. Laz
01-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Demps is a solid backup/KR/ST guy
Abdullah is a solid backup/ST guy
Cooper and Parker are cheap and young
Sean Smith decent and cheap
Berry - decent but overpaid all to hell
Flowers - declining and overpaid
Commings - who knows
Lewis - worthless
Robinson - worthless

TEX
01-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Commings - who knows
Lewis - worthless
Robinson - worthless

Pretty much how I see it as well.

TEX
01-06-2014, 12:39 PM
We need a word filter change.

Either "Sutton" or "Secondary" needs to be changed to "AIDS".

:LOL:

ChiefGator
01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Commings - who knows
Lewis - worthless
Robinson - worthless

Pretty much how I see it as well.

Yep, exactly.

We do need a nickel corner and free safety at the very minimum out of this off-season. I would rather see us bring in more for competition and perhaps draft someone to replace Flowers on the outside.

We can't apparently cover for 1.5 seconds, so there is no way the pass-rush can suddenly make up for this.

McBeard
01-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Commings - who knows
Lewis - worthless
Robinson - worthless

We pretty much agree. We can afford to trade Flowers if someone will take the contract. That might buy us a free safety.

crossbow
01-06-2014, 01:41 PM

This.

I watched that Chargers defense shut down the Bengals. They don't have near as much talent as the Chiefs. Has to be coaching and scheming.