PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs My off-season thoughts...

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 12:51 PM
I woke up today hoping to come on here and see a Chiefs and O's post about Chiefs fire Sutton, but alas that didn't happen.

This off-season is going to be the one that really puts Dorsey's stamp on things - good or bad, moving forward to the next 4 years.

What I expect this off-season:

-Cut Robinson
-Let Tyson Jackson, Kendrick Lewis, Quentin Demps, Dexter McCluster, Akeem Jordan, Frank Zombo, Jon Asamoah all walk
-Try to get Albert signed. I know it's going to be difficult, but at least make an attempt. I think it's a huge leap of faith to expect Fisher to stay healthy 1 and 2) to think he can handle being a LT.
-Re-sign Schwartz to a 2 year deal, Husain Abdullah to a 2 year deal
-Extend Eric Berry's contract. Use the cap savings of that deal over his current one to extend Justin Houston as well.
-Do something with Tamba's deal. 11 million cap figure is way too high. Bowe's cap is at 12 million. Can't cut him or trade him, but that figure has to be lowered as well.
-Extend Alex Smith. Add 3 years, 35 million to his current deal.
-Sign Golden Tate to replace McCluster. He's a better slot receiver and better return man. Somewhere around 4 years, 12 million
-Find an ILB that can stay on the field for 3rd down and obvious passing situations. I think Lewis would have been replaced if they trusted Jordan to actually cover. The defense was at it's best in the base set and could mix and match players.

They have to find additional WR in the draft and an additional TE. I don't expect McGrath on this team next year. He's too god damn slow.

Hopefully Sanders is ready for some big playing time at FS. Still need to bring in one-two more safeties.

Sean Smith's going to be here. There's only a 1.3 million cap savings. Avery likely will be here too.

Alex Smith deserves to be the QB here for at least the next 3-4 years. Some will hate to read that, but if yesterday didn't win you over, then that's on you. He played without his best player, with limited passing options and played the game of his life. Draft someone in the next year or 2 that can take over later on, but I'm very happy to move forward with him.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2014, 12:53 PM
I think Golden Tate is getting a much bigger contract.

I agree with the rest.

And yes, I'd even extend Alex.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-05-2014, 12:54 PM
No way the Chiefs can sign a slot WR like Taint for $3 million a year when he's coming off of a season with 60 catches, 900 yards, and 8 TDs. He'll get at least double that.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 12:54 PM
No way the Chiefs can sign a slot WR like Taint for $3 million a year when he's coming off of a season with 60 catches, 900 yards, and 8 TDs. He'll get at least double that.

You're probably right and that was an absurd figure on my part.

He's the type of fearless receiver they need playing the slot. Not Dex.

mcaj22
01-05-2014, 12:55 PM
some team with a lot of cap space will overpay for a guy like Tate

we will be priced out of talent like that

OnTheWarpath15
01-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Even if they make all the "right" moves over the next 8 months, I can't help but think we'll be disappointed/pissed/embarrassed in the first or second weekend in January, 2015.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Even if they make all the "right" moves over the next 8 months, I can't help but think we'll be disappointed/pissed/embarrassed in the first or second weekend in January, 2015.

Eh. If we fix the defense, we're going to win playoff games.

We had a skeleton crew on offense and still produced. I feel like we have really good momentum going into the offseason for the first time since Vermeil.

Coach
Who would KC replace Tyson Jackson, though? Anyone out there that is a improvement?

Other than that, I pretty much agree with your spot. I would even let Sean Smith go, if the cap $ figures allows it.

The Bad Guy
I think we will probably end up with more cap room than expected right now, but it's going to take maneuvering.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 12:58 PM

Lots of truth here. I just need to keep looking forward because if I constantly look back I'll kill myself.

Bowser
Best news that I've read all day - Kendrick Lewis is an UFA after this season.

We need to make serious pushes somehow or another for these positions in FA and the draft -

- free safety
- wide receiver
- pass rusher
- tight end
- cornerback

Likely in that order

And in your opinion, will Sutton be made sacrificial lamb, or does he get another shot?

Mr_Tomahawk
What's "your guy" saying?

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Who would KC replace Tyson Jackson, though? Anyone out there that is a improvement?

Other than that, I pretty much agree with your spot. I would even let Sean Smith go, if the cap $ figures allows it.

They can't afford to play a situational guy 5-6 million a year. Catapano, Bailey could take over and you can find space eater in the draft to put there on run downs.

Bowser
01-05-2014, 01:00 PM
They can't afford to play a situational guy 5-6 million a year. Catapano, Bailey could take over and you can find space eater in the draft to put there on run downs.

Don't forget about Powe...

The Bad Guy
I just doubt they cut him to save 1.2 million.

I'd invest a low round pick on a corner, but with Parker and Cooper, I think they will have fine depth moving forward.

The Bad Guy
Don't forget about Powe...

Made no sense to me why he was inactive yesterday.

TribalElder
01-05-2014, 01:01 PM
In 3 more years when we make the wildcard again we can go 9 straight!

I will be shocked if they don't resign dex

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 01:01 PM
What's "your guy" saying?

Haven't talked to him in 2 months. I'll try to make contact in the next few weeks.

Bowser
01-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Yep. You'd think his play against the Chargers would warrant him some spot playing time yesterday, at the least. Guess they thought it was better to just run Poe into the ground, like they have all season.

The Bad Guy
In 3 more years when we make the wildcard again we can go 9 straight!

I will be shocked if they don't resign dex

If they can get him for 2 million a year, fine, but anything over is not worth it.

Direckshun
None of those moves you describe is a "this will get this team to the Super Bowl" move.

This team basically needs a home run in the Draft if we want to be Super Bowl contenders.

OnTheWarpath15
Lots of truth here. I just need to keep looking forward because if I constantly look back I'll kill myself.

Heh.

I thought about you and your boy as I was walking back to the hotel last night. Passed a Dad and his son, maybe 7-8 years old, decked out in KC gear and it was obvious the youngster had been crying.

I hope these kids don't end up going through what us 35-45 year old guys have.

Mav
01-05-2014, 01:03 PM
The Bad Guy, I don't think you have actually responded to a single post of mine ever so I might be on your ignore list.

Some points ill make.

I don't think that letting Tyson Jackson will actually benefit the team. I think they can resign him to a modest contract, and he played well this season.

Also, a pro bowl kick returner I dex, who also improved in the slot, and also proved to be an x factor on offense isn't going anywhere, and while I agree an upgrade to the slot is needed, having dex as an extra toy, in kind of a Randall Cobb light type of way, is something this team should look to hold on to.

Hali will have to be restructured. I hope they restructure Bowe as well. Im not sure though if he will.

Id love to see them lower Halis cap number, but also find someone to lower his rep limits. His true strength is on passing downs as a pass rusher. Would love for them to find, or draft someone who can take over for him on early downs.

The rest of your post is spot on.

The Bad Guy
Heh.

I thought about you and your boy as I was walking back to the hotel last night. Passed a Dad and his son, maybe 7-8 years old, decked out in KC gear and it was obvious the youngster had been crying.

Might have been Marty and his son. Marty posted on FB last night that he was consoling his son after the game.

I really kept my cool after the game last night. My son was watching my reaction and I'll be damned if I have him handle disappointment as poorly as I do.

FloridaMan88
I just hope this organization has learned from offseasons after past playoff failures when they didn't do enough to fix the team's weaknesses.

TambaBerry
01-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Heh.

I'm 26 and I've gone through the same shit. It's hard being a Chiefs fan sometimes

Hammock Parties
Dexter is not Randall Cobb. LMAO

He's a poor man's Golden Tate. A poor, starving, diseased man.

WR position must be addressed. Alex needs better weapons.

Coach

Oh I agree, I can't afford to pay a situational guy 5-6 million a year, and I agree with you.

See if Tyson will take a pay-cut, and if he refuses to, then let him go. I won't shed a tear. I'm not sure if Catapano would be the answer, but I also remind myself that this is his first year, so he may be a solid player down the road, once he has a year of off-season/weights to do.

I like Bailey, I'd keep him. At this point, I'd like to try to find some guys who can generate some pass-rushing skills, along with younger CB's/DB's that has some speed.

Mav

Made perfect sense.

They needed the extra defensive backs because Indy cant run the ball.

now, if you want to ask why say ALLEN Bailey was activated above him, I can see that.

But, against Indy, you needed extra defensive backs over D linemen.

bricks
01-05-2014, 01:06 PM
I got an idea?

Who gives a damn. Not to be rude or anything, and Im sorry for shitting on your thread but its hoping for all these ****ing things to happen over the years, setting standards, wishes and expectations towards this organization that does ABSOLUTELY nothing, zilch but breed anger, disappointment which IMO are remedies that contribute to depression.

It's worth it to not care. Worrying about shit like this hinders your overall well being and is damaging to the human psyche. It just makes it that much more difficult to achieve prosperity towards a healthy well being. Which IMO is way more important than worrying about the ****ing Kansas Chiefs or sports in general.

Have a nice day

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 01:06 PM
The Bad Guy, I don't think you have actually responded to a single post of mine ever so I might be on your ignore list.

Some points ill make.

I don't think that letting Tyson Jackson will actually benefit the team. I think they can resign him to a modest contract, and he played well this season.

Also, a pro bowl kick returner I dex, who also improved in the slot, and also proved to be an x factor on offense isn't going anywhere, and while I agree an upgrade to the slot is needed, having dex as an extra toy, in kind of a Randall Cobb light type of way, is something this team should look to hold on to.

Hali will have to be restructured. I hope they restructure Bowe as well. Im not sure though if he will.

Id love to see them lower Halis cap number, but also find someone to lower his rep limits. His true strength is on passing downs as a pass rusher. Would love for them to find, or draft someone who can take over for him on early downs.

The rest of your post is spot on.

Thanks man. You're not on my ignore list.

I don't think Tamba will be a situational rusher. While ideal, his motor doesn't run that way.

Jackson isn't going to take a modest contract though. He had a 6.7 million salary this year and will probably get that on the open market.

He's a luxury that the Chiefs can't afford.

Mav
01-05-2014, 01:07 PM

Clay, I said Randall Cobb light.

And the way the Packers use him. Obviously he is no where near the talent level. But they do kind of the same things. The packers before last year, used to line him up everywhere much like the Chiefs use Dex.

Back field, slot, out side, have him take pitches, flares, return game.

Not comparing ability, comparing use brother.

The Bad Guy
Made perfect sense.

They needed the extra defensive backs because Indy cant run the ball.

now, if you want to ask why say ALLEN Bailey was activated above him, I can see that.

But, against Indy, you needed extra defensive backs over D linemen.

I'm a fan of Bailey.

OnTheWarpath15
Might have been Marty and his son. Marty posted on FB last night that he was consoling his son after the game.

I really kept my cool after the game last night. My son was watching my reaction and I'll be damned if I have him handle disappointment as poorly as I do.

It wasn't Marty. I finally got a chance to meet him before the game.

And surprisingly, I was able to do the same last night. I walked out with my head up looking people in the eye. No way in fuck I was letting those assholes realize how badly I was hurting. In all honesty, I'm figuring my attitude played a role in why I didn't get hazed the entire walk back.

DaFace

To be fair, we could go 16-0 next year, and we'd still all have a sinking feeling that we'd go one and done in the playoffs.

Coach
01-05-2014, 01:08 PM

Yeah, I was at the bar with my lady (with a lot of other chief fans), and I know I did my best to keep myself under control and cool, compared to when I was much younger, and I would go all Frazod on my fridge/tv/remote/appliances, etc.

I guess I'm just maturing and getting to a point where I just don't give two shits about the results. Plus, I just cannot get upset over something that I just have no control over anyways. There's more things more important in life than just a game.

Mav
01-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks man. You're not on my ignore list.

I don't think Tamba will be a situational rusher. While ideal, his motor doesn't run that way.

Jackson isn't going to take a modest contract though. He had a 6.7 million salary this year and will probably get that on the open market.

He's a luxury that the Chiefs can't afford.

You are probably correct on a lot of that. I just don't like the idea of letting Tyson go, knowing that you are creating another hole, that just doesn't need to be filled.

And with Tamba, im hoping that at some point, he realizes he is getting long in the tooth. Shrugs. Usually the last person to realize this, is the player though, so again, im hoping on fools gold.

Coach
01-05-2014, 01:10 PM
To be fair, we could go 16-0 next year, and we'd still all have a sinking feeling that we'd go one and done in the playoffs.

PTSD-Chiefs style.

That's how I think of it.

Mav
I'm a fan of Bailey.

Ugh, that play where he didn't immediately run up field when Luck rolled out to his right really stung me. I hadn't noticed much about him up to that point.

I wasn't the only one, the reaction on the forum, and in chat was universal, no one knew what the hell he was doing.

TEX
I woke up today hoping to come on here and see a Chiefs and O's post about Chiefs fire Sutton, but alas that didn't happen.

This off-season is going to be the one that really puts Dorsey's stamp on things - good or bad, moving forward to the next 4 years.

-Cut Robinson
-Let Tyson Jackson, Kendrick Lewis, Quentin Demps, Dexter McCluster, Akeem Jordan, Frank Zombo, Jon Asamoah all walk
-Try to get Albert signed. I know it's going to be difficult, but at least make an attempt. I think it's a huge leap of faith to expect Fisher to stay healthy 1 and 2) to think he can handle being a LT.
-Extend Eric Berry's contract. Use the cap savings of that deal over his current one to extend Justin Houston as well.
-Do something with Tamba's deal. 11 million cap figure is way too high. Bowe's cap is at 12 million. Can't cut him or trade him, but that figure has to be lowered as well.
-Sign Golden Tate to replace McCluster. He's a better slot receiver and better return man. Somewhere around 4 years, 12 million

They have to find additional WR in the draft and an additional TE. I don't expect McGrath on this team next year. He's too god damn slow.

Hopefully Sanders is ready for some big playing time at FS. Still need to bring in one-two more safeties.

Sean Smith's going to be here. There's only a 1.3 million cap savings. Avery likely will be here too.

Alex Smith deserves to be the QB here for at least the next 3-4 years. Some will hate to read that, but if yesterday didn't win you over, then that's on you. He played without his best player, with limited passing options and played the game of his life. Draft someone in the next year or 2 that can take over later on, but I'm very happy to move forward with him.

I totally disagree with your take that the Chiefs should let Dex walk. Dude is a play maker and has improved more than anyone on your "let walk" list. He's still an ascending player and Reid & Co. will figure out more ways to use him.

TheUte
01-05-2014, 01:11 PM

WOW, just WOW.

FloridaMan88
01-05-2014, 01:12 PM

It will take winning a Super Bowl to recover from this collapse.

The Houston Oilers never recovered from their collapse in the playoffs.

Bowser
01-05-2014, 01:12 PM
I mean, they just can't stand pat after a HISTORICALLY bad defensive collapse in a playoff game where we were up by 28 in the third quarter, right? Heads HAVE to roll, and it should be Sutton's, imo.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 01:13 PM
You are probably correct on a lot of that. I just don't like the idea of letting Tyson go, knowing that you are creating another hole, that just doesn't need to be filled.

And with Tamba, im hoping that at some point, he realizes he is getting long in the tooth. Shrugs. Usually the last person to realize this, is the player though, so again, im hoping on fools gold.

Truthfully, Tamba just turned 30. It seems like he's 100.

TEX
01-05-2014, 01:14 PM

Sadly, nobody with would doubt your reasoning...:shake:

Hammock Parties
01-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Not comparing ability, comparing use brother.

I can use a cheese grater to masturbate, doesn't mean it's fun or a good idea.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Main thing about Dex...in a game where we needed someone to step up and make plays with all the injuries, he was pretty much AWOL.

Fritz88
01-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Jeremy McClain.
Keep Dex.
Draft:
FS, CB, CB.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Yeah forgot Maclin in the main post. Maclin will be interesting, but there's no way you can make that your only WR upgrade.

Bowe, Maclin, Avery, Hemmingway...?

Hammock Parties
01-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Yeah forgot Maclin in the main post. Maclin will be interesting, but there's no way you can make that your only WR upgrade.

Bowe, Maclin, Avery, Hemmingway...?

+draft pick

+TE

I think that'd be plenty.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Main thing about Dex...in a game where we needed someone to step up and make plays with all the injuries, he was pretty much AWOL.

How does he get caught by Davis on that final 3rd down?

FringeNC
01-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Smith will obviously get extended. On offense, Schwartz has to be re-signed. We need Travis Kelce to pan out. On D, I really don't know what to do. On paper, seems like it should be a decent D. Is it the scheme or the players? Obviously, Lewis will be replaced.

I think Reid is an above league-average coach. If Dorsey is above league-average GM, we will always be in the mix. Probably won't ever win anything though because this franchise is cursed.

Titty Meat
01-05-2014, 01:22 PM
I doubt Dorsey will make any big moves everything will be done through the draft

jd1020
01-05-2014, 01:23 PM
On paper, seems like it should be a decent D.

It really doesn't.

There were plenty of us calling out the choice of Smith and Robinson to "enhance" the secondary before the season started. Both players are absolute dog shit on paper.

Mav
It will take winning a Super Bowl to recover from this collapse.

The Houston Oilers never recovered from their collapse in the playoffs.

Well, they came up one yard shy of winning a super bowl.

Hammock Parties

Because he's not fast.

If we had a 4.3 guy running that route maybe he picks up another 5-6 yards.

Discuss Thrower
01-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Well, they came up one yard shy of winning a super bowl.

After relocating to Nashville.

Saccopoo
01-05-2014, 01:30 PM
You're probably right and that was an absurd figure on my part.

He's the type of fearless receiver they need playing the slot. Not Dex.

Draft LSU's Odell Beckham.

He's the best slot receiver prospect in the draft IMO.

The can keep Dex and I don't think it costs them a lot of money. He's a decent flex guy who was pretty solid this year.

And there is no way that they'll sign Albert. They guy wants way too much and Stephenson and Fisher showed significant progress the last 1/4 of the season. (I thought Stephenson played a very good game yesterday.)

Mav
01-05-2014, 01:31 PM
After relocating to Nashville.

Still the same franchise.

Im just saying. Its overcomable. To be honest. The team that never recovered from that playoffs, is really the Bills. Havent won a playoff game since then if I recall correctly.

Direckshun
01-05-2014, 01:32 PM
I think you can probably comfortably sit on your QB, RB, and OL for next year, even though you'll need a swing tackle (I vote Winston Justice). From top to bottom, we're fine there.

We'd actually have a really good WR corps if we just landed one more game-breaker. Bowe, Maclin (or draft choice), Avery, Hemingway and Jenkins is perfectly fine. But we really need Kelce to come along.

Assuming Kelce doesn't, then we're going to need a TE.

Defense is where we're going to need the most construction: we probably need a DE, definitely need depth at rushbacker, and we need a completely new cast of characters in the secondary.

I don't envy Dorsey for having to make those decisions. But there it is.

Direckshun
01-05-2014, 01:32 PM

The can keep Dex and I don't think it costs them a lot of money. He's a decent flex guy who was pretty solid this year.

And there is no way that they'll sign Albert. They guy wants way too much and Stephenson and Fisher showed significant progress the last 1/4 of the season. (I thought Stephenson played a very good game yesterday.)

Here's an idea:

How about we stop worrying so goddamn much about slot midgets, and work our ass off to land another outside threat?

Mav
01-05-2014, 01:33 PM

Depends. To me, the Chiefs have too many Slot types.

Avery, Jenkins, Hemmingway, Dex.

They need a true outside threat.

That's where Benjamin comes in to me. And if you really want to get inside friendly. DRAFT A EFFING TIGHT END.

I just cant shake in my thoughts how funny it was at the time, how slow Fasano was on that screen play. He got the first, but it took him a month to do it.

Mav
01-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Here's an idea:

How about we stop worrying so goddamn much about slot midgets, and work our ass off to land another outside threat?

BINGO.

Titty Meat
01-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Here's an idea:

Have you seen Beckham play? He's a beast.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Here's an idea:

While I agree, I think it's a lot harder to find an AJ Green than it is a Golden Tate.

Mosbonian
01-05-2014, 01:37 PM

I had trouble with that one too....Davis was playing with bad wheels all day and you could see it, yet he got DMAC.

Mosbonian
01-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Because he's not fast.

If we had a 4.3 guy running that route maybe he picks up another 5-6 yards.

I agree...but even with that Davis had bad wheels.

Direckshun
01-05-2014, 01:39 PM
While I agree, I think it's a lot harder to find an AJ Green than it is a Golden Tate.

I'm not asking for an AJ Green.

I'm asking for a Maclin.

Hoover
01-05-2014, 01:39 PM
http://www.clivedaniel.com/media/images/Dania_Winston_Justice2.jpg

Sorry boys, but I'm too classy for KC. The only Winston you guys can afford us the one with puffy lips.

http://chiefconcerns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/ERIC-WINSTON-Locker.jpg

Mav
01-05-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm not asking for an AJ Green.

I'm asking for a Maclin.

Id prefer a maclin type, that isn't always hurt.

He has had concussion issues, and now the knee.

Hes damaged goods at this point isn't he?

Titty Meat
01-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Maclin would be a stupid signing

Mav
01-05-2014, 01:42 PM

I like him as a player, but as I stated before. He seems like damaged goods at this point.

If I am signing a former eagles receiver right now.

im signing Riley Cooper.

DTLB58
01-05-2014, 01:50 PM
I think you can probably comfortably sit on your QB, RB, and OL for next year, even though you'll need a swing tackle (I vote Winston Justice). From top to bottom, we're fine there.

We'd actually have a really good WR corps if we just landed one more game-breaker. Bowe, Maclin (or draft choice), Avery, Hemingway and Jenkins is perfectly fine. But we really need Kelce to come along.

Assuming Kelce doesn't, then we're going to need a TE.

Defense is where we're going to need the most construction: we probably need a DE, definitely need depth at rushbacker, and we need a completely new cast of characters in the secondary.

I don't envy Dorsey for having to make those decisions. But there it is.

I agree with this.

Plus, I'm ready to move on from Flowers and Mr. Eric Berry. He hasn't lived up to the #5 overall pick in the draft and as we have seen this season they are both huge liabilities in the passing game. Whenever manning or luck needed or just wanted for that matter a big play or a 3rd down they went after Flowers deep or Berry on the TE.

Dorsey needs to find some defensive leadership that plays with attitude. If we keep these same players we are looking at the Vermeil era all over again.

After yesterday I have 100% confidence in Smith and Reid in the Offense.
I wish we played in a dome for the future with this offense.

Direckshun
01-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Id prefer a maclin type, that isn't always hurt.

He has had concussion issues, and now the knee.

Hes damaged goods at this point isn't he?

He's fucking cheap, is what he is.

Direckshun
01-05-2014, 01:54 PM
WR
TE
swing OT
DE
backup OLB
CB
CB
S
S

...It's not that big of a wish list, really. But we're going to have to hit homeruns in the draft, or land someone big in free agency. We can't just plug holes, we have to improve them, and really hope that Fisher, Kelce, and Commings come around.

Mosbonian
01-05-2014, 01:54 PM
After watching all the bowl games the one thing that came to mind is that there are probably some small-mid college gems out there. I watched more college football this year than ever before, and actually go to see some Div 2 games that weren't too bad.

There has got to be a WR who is being overlooked...

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2014, 01:55 PM

-Cut Robinson

I've seen this movie before. Wait to extend Alex Smith until after we see how he performs next year then make a decision.

Mosbonian
Frank....I know it's a little early, but do you ever come to Indy for the Combine?

Demonpenz
Good post Bad Guy.

Direckshun
After watching all the bowl games the one thing that came to mind is that there are probably some small-mid college gems out there. I watched more college football this year than ever before, and actually go to see some Div 2 games that weren't too bad.

There has got to be a WR who is being overlooked...

There's tons.

WR is a goldmine this year.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2014, 01:59 PM
There's tons.

WR is a goldmine this year.

WR is the deepest position in the draft this year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-05-2014, 02:01 PM
If you sign Maclin as a FA and nab one of the playmaking TEs with the first pick this offense becomes lethal at every level.

IMO, the Chiefs should focus on adding offensive playmakers with those moves, and try to find a league average FS and one more situational rusher. Imagine if this team still had Gilberry.

Direckshun
01-05-2014, 02:06 PM
God, I just know the Chiefs are going to let me down and not land Maclin.

Marcellus
01-05-2014, 02:07 PM
If you sign Maclin as a FA and nab one of the playmaking TEs with the first pick this offense becomes lethal at every level.

IMO, the Chiefs should focus on adding offensive playmakers with those moves, and try to find a league average FS and one more situational rusher. Imagine if this team still had Gilberry.

Perfect plan.

FloridaMan88
01-05-2014, 02:08 PM
My pipe dream is for the Chiefs to draft Sammy Watkins, but I know they likely won't be in a position for that to happen.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Why Maclin? How many knee surgeries has he had now?

TheUte
01-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Need to add a big back, Just got to be able to convert on 3rd and short.

Bowe got to the 2 yard line and we kicked a fucking FG.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2014, 02:09 PM

I think we need to find a backup NT, too.

Poe was a different player the last 6 weeks. He had nothing left.

Direckshun
01-05-2014, 02:12 PM
We have a backup NT. We just don't play him. Like, ever.

Jakemall
01-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Need to add a big back, Just got to be able to convert on 3rd and short.

Bowe got to the 2 yard line and we kicked a ****ing FG.

That wasn't on the back, it was on the OL..they were getting absolutely NO push.

TheUte
01-05-2014, 02:15 PM
That wasn't on the back, it was on the OL..they were getting absolutely NO push.

I agree, I still think that big battering ram of back is good to have.

They did pretty damn good on 3rd yesterday, but that FG was the killer for me.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2014, 02:16 PM
We have a backup NT. We just don't play him. Like, ever.

Yeah, good point.

Seems weird.

Jakemall
01-05-2014, 02:16 PM
I agree, I still think that big battering ram of back is good to have.

They did pretty damn good on 3rd yesterday, but that FG was the killer for me.

If Bowe had kept his feet in bounds, we'd be talking about the miracle.

If the defense had played an average game, we'd be talking about how the Chiefs embarrassed the Colts in their own home.

TheUte
01-05-2014, 02:18 PM
If Bowe had kept his feet in bounds, we'd be talking about the miracle.

If the defense had played an average game, we'd be talking about how the Chiefs embarrassed the Colts in their own home.

There are a ton of if's, but inside the 5 yard line you just have to score TD's and not settle for FG's.

TheUte
01-05-2014, 02:19 PM
If JC is in the game I bet it's a TD.

Sorter
01-05-2014, 02:29 PM
If JC is in the game I bet it's a TD.

If Charles isn't injured, we rape the Colts in the 2nd half via running the ball.

Marcellus
01-05-2014, 02:30 PM
If Charles isn't injured, we rape the Colts in the 2nd half via running the ball.

I 100% believe this.

Titty Meat
01-05-2014, 02:33 PM
God, I just know the Chiefs are going to let me down and not land Maclin.

Yea a wr with 2 knee injuries is what this offense is missing.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 02:35 PM
I've seen this movie before. Wait to extend Alex Smith until after we see how he performs next year then make a decision.

No.

What more does he have to do? Seriously he's had 3 straight productive years He's proven himself. You wait to do this, it's going to cost you more in the long run.

He's nothing like Cassel. Not even fucking close. If that's the movie you've seen before, and you think this is even remotely close to the same situation then you need someone to translate the movie.

TheUte
01-05-2014, 02:48 PM

Yup, that is partly why it's such shitty day after. What could have been.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2014, 02:52 PM
No.

What more does he have to do? Seriously he's had 3 straight productive years He's proven himself. You wait to do this, it's going to cost you more in the long run.

He's nothing like Cassel. Not even ****ing close. If that's the movie you've seen before, and you think this is even remotely close to the same situation then you need someone to translate the movie.

Every year is different. Let's see how he does next year. Make him earn it. If he does, pay the man. And not because we play better teams or defenses next year because that day in the NFL is done now. There are no great defenses so that argument holds no wait. Let's get him some more weapons and see how how he does then. I expect him to be even better but nothing is guaranteed that's why you wait...he could play like absolute garbage. Then what? No harm in waiting it'll make him play better IMO.

tk13
01-05-2014, 02:57 PM
If we're going to stick with Sutton we need to just churn through DBs until we find guys who can play man. And we just have to find more pass rushers. I think that'd be true anyway... but with the current rules it's hard to play man all the time. You can't leave your DBs out there on their own or they'll get toasted by good QBs.

Deberg_1990
01-05-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm not a huge McCluster fan...he's ok...but they are just gonna let him walk? Doubtful

Easy 6
01-05-2014, 03:04 PM
I dont see why they'd let McCluster go, he's worked himself into a very good returner and solid enough utility back/receiver.

He did pretty well moving the chains yesterday with 7 for 52.

Mosbonian
01-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Every year is different. Let's see how he does next year. Make him earn it. If he does, pay the man. And not because we play better teams or defenses next year because that day in the NFL is done now. There are no great defenses so that argument holds no wait. Let's get him some more weapons and see how how he does then. I expect him to be even better but nothing is guaranteed that's why you wait...he could play like absolute garbage. Then what? No harm in waiting it'll make him play better IMO.

Seriously? And then next year are you going to say the same thing?

He has earned being extended, and anyone who implies differently needs to take a step back.

We could of course go back to having QB's like Cassel, or Bono....or any of the other mediocre QB's out there.

I say let's give him a vote of confidence and extend.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Good post. My thoughts below.

Agreed. I was in Sutton's corner but incredibly disappointed. I just can't understand... his scheme was good enough yesterday, and then he completely abandoned it in the 3rd quarter. If you don't fire him, would like to at least see an assistant added who has enough experience to be an advisor to Sutton.

-Cut Robinson
Generally... good. I don't agree with some of the cuts. Zombo is solid depth. Jordan, I bet, can be had at a higher price for a backup but is worth it for the quality depth. And McCluster... people are being way too tough on him. 7 catches yesterday and 6 of them in the first half. He was a huge part of our dominant first half gameplan and has honestly become our best hands receiver by a mile, which is stunning to me. Just because you keep McCluster, doesn't mean you can't bring in more slot guys to compete for his snaps.

Not a big fan of re-signing Albert. That is huge coin for a position I don't think is nearly that important. I wouldn't be scared about Fisher. Even if he doesn't perform well or gets hurt, you can start Stephenson at Left, bump Schwartz to RT, and rotate in one of the Guards who didn't play too badly against San Diego. That and/or you bring in some depth at Guard or Right/Left Tackle. We can survive without Albert and that $10M+ will go a very, very, very long way to helping us patch some of our big gaps.

Agreed on all these things. I love the idea of extending Alex Smith and drafting Mettenberger or Murray. Two guys who will probably drop for the wrong reasons, but can be groomed into good pro QBs.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 03:29 PM
If we're going to stick with Sutton we need to just churn through DBs until we find guys who can play man. And we just have to find more pass rushers. I think that'd be true anyway... but with the current rules it's hard to play man all the time. You can't leave your DBs out there on their own or they'll get toasted by good QBs.

Yup. I don't think there's anything wrong with the scheme. I just want a coordinator with the flexibility to adapt and change. We can still build around a Sutton offense and hope that a Rex Ryan disciple (or Ryan himself) takes over.

DeezNutz
01-05-2014, 03:30 PM

My nuts support this plan.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Frank....I know it's a little early, but do you ever come to Indy for the Combine?

I've never been.

I could have gone 10 years ago when I interning at NFL Films but I had a huge term paper due and couldn't get an extension on it.

RealSNR
01-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Kendrick Lewis can miss 10 or more tackles per game. Dunta Robinson can have the worst recovery speed of any DB in the NFL. Players can be morons and fuck up assignments.

But if you don't have a coordinator who can not only spot problems and weaknesses, but DO something about it during the game and COACH the players to not make those same mistakes on those same type of plays, you're not going to succeed. Even with a sharp improvement in talent.

I question where that improved personnel is going to come from (are we going to start three new rookies in the secondary next year?) but more importantly I question the dude in charge who can make them stop a shitass like TY fucking Hilton just ONCE on a 3rd and long.

Bob Sutton not getting fired is a pretty big strike already on the 2014 season.

Mosbonian
01-05-2014, 03:51 PM
I've never been.

I could have gone 10 years ago when I interning at NFL Films but I had a huge term paper due and couldn't get an extension on it.

If you want to come and don't want to pay for a hotel....you can crash in my spare bedroom.

It was a great atmosphere....and you'd be surprised what you hear people saying on their way back from Lucas Oil to the hotels. There isn't anything earth shattering but you do hear people talking about some of the lesser known invitees.

Titty Meat
01-05-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm not a huge McCluster fan...he's ok...but they are just gonna let him walk? Doubtful

They should

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 04:02 PM
They should

Just curious. Why? He's not the playmaking receiver we thought he was, but he's an exceptional return man and has become an exceptional hands receiver. If he can be had for a reasonable price, and I'm sure he can be, why not bring him back?

Titty Meat
01-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Just curious. Why? He's not the playmaking receiver we thought he was, but he's an exceptional return man and has become an exceptional hands receiver. If he can be had for a reasonable price, and I'm sure he can be, why not bring him back?

They need a play maker in the slot he's not. He showed he has no field awareness either.

As far as punt returning that's more about toub. Toub also made quinten demps one of the best kick returners in the game. Those are easy to replace.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 04:14 PM
They need a play maker in the slot he's not. He showed he has no field awareness either.

As far as punt returning that's more about toub. Toub also made quinten demps one of the best kick returners in the game. Those are easy to replace.

They could use a playmaker in the slot, but there's still a major role to be played as a utility guy or hands guy. He runs terrific routes and has really, really good hands. I don't want to throw a guy like that away. He's not the YAC guy we thought he'd be, but he has far exceeded expectations in a possession type role.

As a punt returner, he's a lot harder to replace than a kick returner. McCluster's ability to catch punts under pressure and immediately maneuver into the return were pretty sensational. He may not break as many big ones off, but he's one of the best in the league at breaking off good solid returns consistently.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2014, 04:15 PM
He's not the YAC guy we thought he'd be, but he has far exceeded expectations in a possession type role.

He's average as fuck, at best. He contributes less than two first downs a game.

Do not want.

scho63
01-05-2014, 04:24 PM
There is no way I would let Tyson Jackson or Dexter McCluster go, even if you signed Golden Tate.

I believe Dwayne Bowe should be used as a TE, he is way too slow as our #1 WR

pugsnotdrugs19
01-05-2014, 04:28 PM
-Restructure Hali, Bowe, Flowers, whoever else is overpaid. Let everyone walk except Abdullah (backup safety), DMC for < 2 million, Schwartz, Jackson and Albert if possible.

-Cut Robinson. Maybe a few other guys who aren't in plans.

-Sign Maclin.

-Draft a FS/TE with the first rounder. If Kelce is someone they really think can play, go with a safety like Clinton-Dix. Draft a corner or two.

-of the roster now, the only players I think are keepers: Alex, Bray, Jamaal, Davis, Sherman, Hemingway, Jenkins, Kelce (if they like him), Stephenson, Fisher, Devito, Poe, Houston, Hali for cheaper, DJ, Berry, Flowers. Oh and Colquitt. Crucial offseason.

Wilson8
01-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Good thread with lots of good discussion.
On Dexter McCluster

Why KC should keep Dexter – 58 punt returns, 2 TDs, 11.8 yard average, 2 fumbles. Also 53 catches, 511 yards and 2 TDs. McCluster can also do some spot duty at RB. Bowe, Avery, Hemingway, and Jenkins are not punt returners. Catching punts is a skill few players can master. Also McCluster will improve as a punt returner and receiver as he gets more experience in the NFL.

Why KC might not keep Dexter – He may have played himself into a contract KC cannot afford. Chiefs could draft a player like Odell Beckham or Jared Abbrederis (Wisconsin) that could be quality receivers and punt returners.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=PUNT_RETURNER&season=2013&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=1&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Sure-Oz
01-05-2014, 04:35 PM

a 1 or 2 year deal is not stupid

Sure-Oz
01-05-2014, 04:36 PM

Who is the other playmaking TE besides Jace Amaro?

BryanBusby
01-05-2014, 05:21 PM
I'd spend FA dollars on an upgrade for Tyson Jackson and a veteran short-term stop gap at Free Safety. This safety draft class is dog shit and they aren't going to land Clinton-Dix.

If I'm the Chiefs, my biggest Free Agency target would be Lamarr Houston. He stuff the run just as well and can actually provide pass-rush.

Wouldn't drop any FA dollars on Wide Receivers.

Ebron is better than Amaro.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 05:28 PM
There is no way I would let Tyson Jackson or Dexter McCluster go, even if you signed Golden Tate.

I believe Dwayne Bowe should be used as a TE, he is way too slow as our #1 WR

Both will depend on the contract. If Tyson Jackson gets paid like a starter, then fuck no. If McCluster is paid top shelf returner or slot receiver money, then fuck no. I have a weird feeling that both may be reasonable about their value. We will probably overpay for both, but think we can get both reasonably cheap.

But both players can and should be upgraded. The difference is both can be incredibly valuable as depth players, McCluster especially. Jackson may be expendable if we feel like Bailey and catapano can be an equal match to play depth support.

crossbow
01-05-2014, 05:45 PM

I don't understand this. Did Powe bone Sutton's wife? Why can't this man suit up? You put him on Poe's right side to occupy the left tackle and Hali will beast rape.

milkman
01-05-2014, 05:54 PM

That is almost certainly true, but one has to wonder if we learn what we did about Smith, or if we see Bowe and Smith finally develop chemistry and trust.

There are no moral victories, but I do believe those are positives that are the result of losing Charles early in that game.

Hoover
01-05-2014, 06:16 PM
The NFL Network was right, we should have drafted Leon Sandcastle.

Mav
01-05-2014, 06:21 PM

Eric Ebron. He's the best in the draft

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 06:23 PM
That is almost certainly true, but one has to wonder if we learn what we did about Smith, or if we see Bowe and Smith finally develop chemistry and trust.

There are no moral victories, but I do believe those are positives that are the result of losing Charles early in that game.

I hope the other positive is, if the Chiefs win this game and Jamaal is able to milk clock to keep the ball out of Luck's hands, Sutton and the defense may get a complete hall pass. Even a loyal guy like Reid has to know that this game is won easily with a halfway decent second half scheme.

O.city
01-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Brandin cooks from Oregon state should be our pick in the first.

Wilson8
01-05-2014, 07:01 PM
John Dorsey and his staff did an excellent job of adding to the 2013 Chief’s roster with signing players to NFL minimum salaries.

Quintin Demps - $715,000 but only $555,000 against the cap.
Akeem Jordan - $715,000, but only $575,000 against the cap.
Thomas Gafford - $715,000, but only $565,000 against the cap.
Husain Abdullah - - $715,000 but only $555,000 against the cap.

Demps did a good job as a kick returner and backup safety. Abdullah also made some nice contributions as a backup. Hopefully we draft or sign a starting safety to replace Kendrick Lewis but I would like to have these two guys re-signed as backups for 2014.

Thomas Gafford should also be re-signed as the long snapper.

If the Chiefs had a good ILB to play alongside Derrick Johnson, would DC Bob Sutton play him or is the multi-safety formation a majority part of his defense? Last year free agents Daryl Smith and Karlos Dansby were very good at the ILB position. Daryl Smith played for $1.1 MM, had 123 tackles, 5 sacks, 19 PDs, 3 INTs and a TD. I’d like to see him playing next to Johnson at ILB.

From KC’s free agent offensive lineman, Geoff Schwartz needs to be re-signed by KC. Geoff’s ability to play guard and tackle was very important to the Chiefs in 2013. KC’s limited cap space means Branden Albert is gone. Jon Asamoah is probably gone.

Dunta Robinson is gone for sure but when he was signed it seemed like a good move. In 2012 he had 80 tackles in 16 games for Atlanta.

O.city
01-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Jackson shouldn't be back, can't rush the passer.

Need athletic guys in the front 7

mcaj22
01-05-2014, 07:12 PM
there was never a point that giving 5 million to Dunta was a good move

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 07:27 PM
there was never a point that giving 5 million to Dunta was a good move

Absolutely not. He was going to Denver until KC topped their offer.

I would have loved him in Denver.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 07:28 PM
If you want to come and don't want to pay for a hotel....you can crash in my spare bedroom.

It was a great atmosphere....and you'd be surprised what you hear people saying on their way back from Lucas Oil to the hotels. There isn't anything earth shattering but you do hear people talking about some of the lesser known invitees.

Thanks man. It'll probably be a few years.

I have baby #2 on the way in May so my life is going to pretty much be strapped down for at least a year after that.

01-05-2014, 07:39 PM

That is exactly where I am at each time we make the playoffs. I just expect the worst.

Chiefnj2
01-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Jackson shouldn't be back, can't rush the passer.

Need athletic guys in the front 7

Actually, in the post season you need big strong guys who can collapse the pocket. Refs start to swallow the flags in the playoffs, your speed rushers can get held more often without repercussions.

ROYC75
01-05-2014, 07:42 PM
I doubt Dorsey will make any big moves everything will be done through the draft

This is just crazy talk, he traded for Alex and turned over the roster to bring in talent that was better than what we had !

What makes you think he will not continue to search for FA talent?

Hoover
01-05-2014, 07:42 PM
I'd rather be 2-14 than go one and done in the playoffs.

I mean what's really the difference?

Discuss Thrower
01-05-2014, 07:43 PM

Several spots in draft position.

Chiefnj2
01-05-2014, 07:43 PM
This is just crazy talk, he traded for Alex and turned over the roster to bring in talent that was better than what we had !

Where is all this talent Dorsey brought in?

ROYC75
01-05-2014, 07:48 PM

What he turned over is better than what we had.Not saying it's complete, but I do feel Dorsey will continue the trend of upgrading what we have each year.

ROYC75
01-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Seriously? And then next year are you going to say the same thing?

He has earned being extended, and anyone who implies differently needs to take a step back.

We could of course go back to having QB's like Cassel, or Bono....or any of the other mediocre QB's out there.

I say let's give him a vote of confidence and extend.

We get more cap $ to work with next year, No ? Spend it this year to upgrade, tackle next years issues, next year. Alex isn't going anywhere, he has a starting job here by the way he performed this year.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 07:55 PM

Interestingly, his big splash guys were pretty meh (let's keep Alex smith out if this discussion. Don't want to thread swerve). He did a nice job with the scrappy pickups. I think I'll end up liking the kush, nico Johnson, cooper, Knile Davis picks and Sherman has been terrific. Demps, Abdullah are good depth guys. Ron Parker... Not sure. I think Jaye Howard, Commings, McGrath, and catapano have nice upside. These guys have nice upside considering they were brought in as complete nobodies. Avery is a terrific stopgap. Not high on Aj Jenkins, and yet, we fleeced San Francisco on that trade.

I hope we can attribute the early moves to rookie mistakes because Dorsey did a great job with the low profile moves.

Dave Lane
01-05-2014, 07:56 PM
None of those moves you describe is a "this will get this team to the Super Bowl" move.

This team basically needs a home run in the Draft if we want to be Super Bowl contenders.

We need several. Next years schedule will not be so accommodating.

DaWolf
01-05-2014, 08:08 PM
I don't expect to see too many free agent moves this year. At least if the history in Green Bay is any indication. This draft is big.

I hate hearing that our personnel director that we just hired from the Bears is the top candidate for Tampas GM. Would have liked to see some front office stability there...

Mosbonian
01-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks man. It'll probably be a few years.

I have baby #2 on the way in May so my life is going to pretty much be strapped down for at least a year after that.

I completely understand....babies make you rearrange finances.

I plan on being here in Indy for several years....hopefully they will win the right to host the Super Bowl that they are in the running for.

If that happens I am betting friends and family will come to visit for the free room and board.

Titty Meat
01-05-2014, 08:49 PM
The Chiefs will sign eric Decker and he will own the Broncos right guys????

Mav
01-05-2014, 08:50 PM
The Chiefs will sign eric Decker and he will own the Broncos right guys????

Sign Decker/Cooper, draft a Tight end like Ebron, Jace, boom.

Vicious offense.

Titty Meat
01-05-2014, 08:51 PM

The Packers didn't sign a lot of free agent and the team doesn't have much cap space.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 08:58 PM
The Packers didn't sign a lot of free agent and the team doesn't have much cap space.

The cap space situation will look a lot different come March 10th, I'm confident of that.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Sign Decker/Cooper, draft a Tight end like Ebron, Jace, boom.

Vicious offense.

No to Decker.

Titty Meat
01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Who's Cooper?

jd1020
01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Who's Cooper?

Riley Cooper, racist from Philly.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 09:00 PM

Enjoying football for roughly 16 weeks.

Sorry, but I hated being fucking miserable during the regular season and having nothing to look forward to.

Titty Meat
01-05-2014, 09:00 PM
The cap space situation will look a lot different come March 10th, I'm confident of that.

I'm sure it will but the reason this team signed a bunch of guys last year is because they had to. You aren't going to win a championship signing free agents we want this team to improve? Do it through the draft.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm sure it will but the reason this team signed a bunch of guys last year is because they had to. You aren't going to win a championship signing free agents we want this team to improve? Do it through the draft.

I think they had to show the veterans on the team that they were going to compete right off the bat. This roster last year was not ready for another lengthy rebuild. Too many players entering primes or pushing the tail end to have that happen again for the 2nd time in 4 years.

I agree about doing it through the draft now.

milkman
01-05-2014, 09:03 PM

I agree with you in principle, but we have too many significant holes and too short a window to follow that path exclusively.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-05-2014, 09:04 PM

This is the dumbest fucking post I have read today.

Titty Meat
01-05-2014, 09:06 PM
I agree with you in principle, but we have too many significant holes and too short a window to follow that path exclusively.

Sure but decker, maclin, whoever those aren't moves that put the team over the top. Sign a veteran free safety and make a power move for a guy like larry fitzgerald? Sure.

milkman
01-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Sure but decker, maclin, whoever those aren't moves that put the team over the top. Sign a veteran free safety and make a power move for a guy like larry fitzgerald? Sure.

I haven't really begun to look at the free agent market, but I am not looking for big names.
Just solid players that upgrade the roster, which would include free safety.

Hoover
01-05-2014, 09:13 PM
This is the dumbest fucking post I have read today.
No, please tell me what the difference is?

I enjoyed the turn around, I'm glad that the Chiefs are on TV more, I was pumped to be back in the playoffs, I'm glad we are selling tickets and making money, but if you can't win an fu@king playoff game how are we any different from say the Titans, Dolphins, or Bills?

The regular season is meaningless. Franchises are made in the postseason, and we are the biggest chokers around.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 09:16 PM
No, please tell me what the difference is?

I enjoyed the turn around, I'm glad that the Chiefs are on TV more, I was pumped to be back in the playoffs, I'm glad we are selling tickets and making money, but if you can't win an fu@king playoff game how are we any different from say the Titans, Dolphins, or Bills?

The regular season is meaningless. Franchises are made in the postseason, and we are the biggest chokers around.

So basically you really don't want to enjoy regular season football is what you're saying.

O.city
01-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Build thru the draft, fill holes in free agency.

What would be a coup, would be if we could somehow trade down a few spots, pick up an extra 3 rounder and still get who we want.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 09:21 PM
We get more cap $ to work with next year, No ? Spend it this year to upgrade, tackle next years issues, next year. Alex isn't going anywhere, he has a starting job here by the way he performed this year.

The offseason we had this year is pretty uncharacteristic based on how Dorsey ran things in Green Bay. Maybe that's why he looked a bit like a rookie handling some of that stuff. I don't see the Chiefs spending a ton, especially given their current cap situation.

Reid likes to keep his own guys, but I bet there's some churn this year because a lot of these players aren't technically his guys. Dorsey likes to draft and build from scraps. I'm sure that's more the direction we'll see this offseason and I'm fine with that.

jd1020
01-05-2014, 09:23 PM
The offseason we had this year is pretty uncharacteristic based on how Dorsey ran things in Green Bay.

You guys really need to get it out of your heads that Dorsey ran things in Green Bay.

milkman
01-05-2014, 09:26 PM
You guys really need to get it out of your heads that Dorsey ran things in Green Bay.

That's one thing we agree on.

BossChief
01-05-2014, 09:29 PM
The more I think about our situation, the more interest I have in us going after a guy like TJ Ward, Jarius Byrd or the safety from SF.

This draft is ripe with Receiver talent and this might rival the 2010 class in TE depth and quality...the same CAN'T be said about the safeties of this class...there is haha and not a whole lot else.

Here we go...

Re-sign Geoff Schwartz, Dexter, Abdullah, Demps and Powe.

Sign Riley Cooper/Jeremy Maclin
Sign Ward/Byrd

Draft one of the guys in my sig in the first.

Lets kick Indys ass in the playoffs next year.

O.city
01-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Brandin cooks needs to be on that list

Buckweath
01-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Some of you guys need more time to stop overreacting to that playoff loss. This team has great talent and is a top 10 team in the NFL.

You just can't draft a TE with that 1st round pick as you just drafted Kelce and you definitely need to see what he can give you before you draft another TE that high. Draft a TE in the 3rd round if you really like that position.

This team needs to improve mainly at 3 positions I think: S, WR and 3-4 end (think Cameron Jordan, Wilkerson, etc. who were late 1st round picks), as crazy as that may sound. That's where I'd be looking to draft our 1st round pick.

McCluster, Smith, etc are fine players and you definitely keep those guys. They'll never be stars but you'll always be disappointed if you think you can have above-average players at every single position. Robinson and Lewis are the only two players whom you should definitely get rid of.

BossChief
01-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Build thru the draft, fill holes in free agency.

What would be a coup, would be if we could somehow trade down a few spots, pick up an extra 3 rounder and still get who we want.

It's definitely possible.

Ths is a deep draft at positions we have a need at...except safety.

There is a good chance there will e multiple tight ends that would greatly impact the offense, same goes for receivers...if there are a handful of guys we see as having a similar impact for us and someone comes calling to move up for a QB (a run of them might go around our pick) its possible to do as you suggest.

I guess it all depends on how the draft falls.

It's a damn good draft, so we should be able to add some difference makers.

O.city
01-05-2014, 09:33 PM
After all those high draft picks, I still don't think there's a leader on defense.

O.city
01-05-2014, 09:35 PM
It's definitely possible.

Ths is a deep draft at positions we have a need at...except safety.

There is a good chance there will e multiple tight ends that would greatly impact the offense, same goes for receivers...if there are a handful of guys we see as having a similar impact for us and someone comes calling to move up for a QB (a run of them might go around our pick) its possible to do as you suggest.

I guess it all depends on how the draft falls.

It's a damn good draft, so we should be able to add some difference makers.

Yep.

Move down a bit, add a third rounder, still get a wr,te,etc.

BossChief
01-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Brandin cooks needs to be on that list

I don't know much about him.

I'm VERY impressed with the guys in my sig, though and think half of them will be available when we pick.

I'll have to check this kid out, though.

The Franchise
01-05-2014, 09:39 PM
I don't know much about him.

I'm VERY impressed with the guys in my sig, though and think half of them will be available when we pick.

I'll have to check this kid out, though.

He would be a sick slot receiver. I don't see him as a #1.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2014, 09:40 PM
You absolutely can draft a TE with the first pick if it's a true difference maker. Kelce was a 3rd round pick and you have no idea what you have with him.

Passing on Amaro or Ebron because of the chance Kelce develops is stupid. Put both of them on the field and create matchup problems across the board.

Chiefshrink
01-05-2014, 09:42 PM
I just hope this organization has learned from offseasons after past playoff failures when they didn't do enough to fix the team's weaknesses.

I think they (Reid & Dorsey) did as much as they could given the team they inherited(which btw was not your typical 2-14 team). As BG said you will really see what Dorsey thinks of the current team and where it needs to go for the future in this next offseason which is all him from this point on.

What I worry about is the "Subconscious Loser Stamp" in a lot of these D guys heads always fearing choking against good QB's when they are up. This loss will be very difficult to work through psychologically into next season FWIW.

FloridaMan88
01-05-2014, 09:44 PM
You absolutely can draft a TE with the first pick if it's a true difference maker. Kelce was a 3rd round pick and you have no idea what you have with him.

Passing on Amaro or Ebron because of the chance Kelce develops is stupid. Put both of them on the field and create matchup problems across the board.

Ebron would awesome.

And I agree with you on not relying on the unknown with Kelce.

The TE is such an important part of Andy Reid's offense.

O.city
01-05-2014, 09:45 PM
He would be a sick slot receiver. I don't see him as a #1.

This is what I'm thinking. I'd be stoked to add him, plus Maclin. Our wr core would be solid.

I think cooks fits Reid's offense pretty well too

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 09:45 PM

I think you're getting too hung up on word choice and not addressing the point.
Dorsey was groomed in the Ted Thompson school of football ops. It is hard to believe he wouldn't operate from a similar playbook.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we spent more than usual this offseason because Clark Hunt knew he had to win some fans back.

DeezNutz
01-05-2014, 09:51 PM
It's somewhat ironic that the one piece on offense that we're sorely lacking is a TE, when this was the single piece we did have for far too many years.

Snapplez
01-05-2014, 09:52 PM
I think you're getting too hung up on word choice and not addressing the point.
Dorsey was groomed in the Ted Thompson school of football ops. It is hard to believe he wouldn't operate from a similar playbook.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we spent more than usual this offseason because Clark Hunt knew he had to win some fans back.

Last offseason was basically the exact opposite of Ted Thompsons philosophy. Tons of free agents and a shittastic draft. When was the last time the packers did anything in free agency?

The Franchise
01-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Last offseason was basically the exact opposite of Ted Thompsons philosophy. Tons of free agents and a shittastic draft. When was the last time the packers did anything in free agency?

What fucking choice did he have? Our CBs were complete shit.

Snapplez
01-05-2014, 09:59 PM
What ****ing choice did he have? Our CBs were complete shit.

Did I say it was a bad thing he deviated from Thompson? I only stated that he differed and we should expect him to make his own way as a GM. I generally liked the free agents pickups Dorsey brought in. It was his draft that left a ton to be desired

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 09:59 PM

I thought Dorsey did very well when he followed the philosophy, and looked like a rookie when he didn't. Most free agent acquisitions and the 1.1 weren't great, but he brought in a lot of great players from the garbage dump.

Given how much of a PR disaster this team was, I don't think patience and a losing season were ever an option for Dorsey. With a playoff and fan confidence with the team, I would bet he goes back to his Packer influences.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Did I say it was a bad thing he deviated from Thompson? I only stated that he differed and we should expect him to make his own way as a GM. I generally liked the free agents pickups Dorsey brought in. It was his draft that left a ton to be desired

Other than the 1.1 and probably getting fleeced out of a 2nd rounder for Smith, the draft could turn out to be very effective.

Snapplez
01-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Other than the 1.1 and probably getting fleeced out of a 2nd rounder for Smith, the draft could turn out to be very effective.

I wanna hold out hope for Fisher. I really do. But hes just so fucking terrible its astounding

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 10:03 PM
It's somewhat ironic that the one piece on offense that we're sorely lacking is a TE, when this was the single piece we did have for far too many years.

I guess I'm alone in thinking that the absolute top priority is balancing out the defense. I like what Alex Smith did. But I'm not looking to build this offense into a powerhouse, given that we're probably not going to get an elite QB.

If Alex Smith is our QB and even if Mettenberger becomes our QB, I want him to be surrounded by a great running game and a top 5 defense. That's not Marty Ball. That's the way teams like the 49ers, Seahawks, Ravens, and Giants have gotten shit done.

McBeard
01-05-2014, 10:04 PM

Did you watch the Chargers game?

jd1020
01-05-2014, 10:07 PM

Other than 1.1? Like the rest of the draft is something to be proud of?

So far it looks like the Chiefs may have got a solid backup RB, but other than that?

Mav
01-05-2014, 10:08 PM
I guess I'm alone in thinking that the absolute top priority is balancing out the defense. I like what Alex Smith did. But I'm not looking to build this offense into a powerhouse, given that we're probably not going to get an elite QB.

If Alex Smith is our QB and even if Mettenberger becomes our QB, I want him to be surrounded by a great running game and a top 5 defense. That's not Marty Ball. That's the way teams like the 49ers, Seahawks, Ravens, and Giants have gotten shit done.

I'd Alex could play at an elite level without any elite players why couldn't he play elite consistently with elite talent around him?

I do agree on the defense.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 10:12 PM
I wanna hold out hope for Fisher. I really do. But hes just so ****ing terrible its astounding

No matter what, he'll never be worth the 1.1 and I never liked the pick.

That being said, people are WAY too critical of his play, and a lot of that comes from people still trying to hold him up to the standard of being a 1.1 and not a QB. If he were drafted anywhere else, we'd probably say he played passable the second half, and that's despite playing an insanely difficult schedule (in terms of D-lines he faced - JJ Watt, Von Miller twice, Mathis, Browns D-line).

jd1020
01-05-2014, 10:13 PM

That being said, people are WAY too critical of his play, and a lot of that comes from people still trying to hold him up to the standard of being a 1.1 and not a QB. If he were drafted anywhere else, we'd probably say he played passable the second half, and that's despite playing an insanely difficult schedule (in terms of D-lines he faced - JJ Watt, Von Miller twice, Mathis, Browns D-line).

If Fisher had been drafted anywhere but 1.1 he would have been on the ****ing bench.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 10:15 PM
I'd Alex could play at an elite level without any elite players why couldn't he play elite consistently with elite talent around him?

I do agree on the defense.

Alex Smith is not going to be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, and nobody should expect him to be.

The way he played yesterday, he showed he could definitely win a Super Bowl the way Joe Flacco did. Piece together some better fourth quarter drives, and he could play in the style of Eli Manning. For as much as I've complemented his play in the second half of games, he still hasn't proven he can close games. That's where Eli and Big Ben hold a considerable edge over him, and not everyone would even consider those guys to be elite.

There is no way this team should build around the idea that Alex Smith has to score over 30 points to win games.

Snapplez
01-05-2014, 10:16 PM
If Fisher had been drafted anywhere but 1.1 he would have been on the ****ing bench.

And they wouldn't be using the injury excuse to cover up his benching

Jimmya
01-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Good job Chiefzilla. .. totally agree. I like Smith, but I had zero faith that he would get kc in field goal range on the final drive.

BryanBusby
01-05-2014, 10:19 PM
What fucking choice did he have? Our CBs were complete shit.
Even with bad CB's, you definitely have the choice to pass on giving Dunta Robinson a contract....much less the amount of money they actually gave him.

The most wtf signing that even the majority of cp knew it was fucking stupid when it was first announced.

Wallcrawler
01-05-2014, 10:20 PM
I mean, they just can't stand pat after a HISTORICALLY bad defensive collapse in a playoff game where we were up by 28 in the third quarter, right? Heads HAVE to roll, and it should be Sutton's, imo.

They stood pat in the offseason after the defense couldn't force a punt against Manning and the Colts in the Divisional Playoff at Arrowhead, so no, its not a guarantee that anything will happen.

Granted, that was on Carl Peterson's watch and our head coach at the time couldn't separate personal relationships from professional. Tell Grandpa Dick that Carol made a swell tasting dinner, and well you got yourself a contract as long as he's coach there.

Id like to think Dorsey and Reid wont make those mistakes, but it is the Kansas City Chiefs.

New Coach, New GM, New QB, Great Season, and same result, another ****ing soul crushing loss to the Colts in our first game.

Its just what is.

BryanBusby
01-05-2014, 10:39 PM
Yeah except for firing the Defensive Coordinator, they stood pat.

bigbucks24
01-05-2014, 10:41 PM
My pipe dream is for the Chiefs to draft Sammy Watkins, but I know they likely won't be in a position for that to happen.

I just checked out a few mock drafts for 2014. Yes, they are a premature guess at this point. However, here is where Watkins was drafted.

And these were before his performance last night. For fun, say he is goes 7th (I think he goes 5 to Oakland). What is the cost of moving from 24 to 7?

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 10:48 PM
They stood pat in the offseason after the defense couldn't force a punt against Manning and the Colts in the Divisional Playoff at Arrowhead, so no, its not a guarantee that anything will happen.

Granted, that was on Carl Peterson's watch and our head coach at the time couldn't separate personal relationships from professional. Tell Grandpa Dick that Carol made a swell tasting dinner, and well you got yourself a contract as long as he's coach there.

Id like to think Dorsey and Reid wont make those mistakes, but it is the Kansas City Chiefs.

New Coach, New GM, New QB, Great Season, and same result, another ****ing soul crushing loss to the Colts in our first game.

Its just what is.

And vermeils other offseasons were better where we threw a gajillion dollars at average players and creates a nightmare mess in less than five years? I understand wanting a new defensive coordinator, but not panicking in the free agent market is smart too. If he drafts well and is as masterful with scrappy signings as he was in 2013, we will improve dramatically. Subject, of course, to the limits of our defensive coaching.

O.city
01-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Guys will be in the second year of the same system, new players brought in.

Too soon to tell

BossChief
01-05-2014, 10:54 PM
My pipe dream is Haha making it to our pick.

The fact that he is the only first round quality Guy at safety in this class probably means he goes top 10.

DeezNutz
01-05-2014, 10:54 PM

The offense is pretty thin, though. Smith, Charles, Bowe, and then JAGs. Therefore, we must get one more piece on that side of the ball, be it WR or TE, and then the secondary must be addressed.

If healthy, the pass rush should be there for the Chiefs, and this is a critical piece of the foundation. With Hali aging, trying to land another pass rusher wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

I'm hopeful that Houston 2.0 has smoking plans before the combine this year.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Guys will be in the second year of the same system, new players brought in.

Too soon to tell

Nico Johnson. Should be an upgrade
A healthy Sander Commings. Should be an upgrade
Not Kendrick Lewis. HUGE upgrade
Catapano should hopefully improve and upgrade our depth
Marcus Cooper should hopefully improve
Quietly, people have downplayed that Allen Bailey and Jaye Howard have shown they might be good options for DE depth. Finally.
And yes... Poe is still young and can keep improving

You hope Fisher and Stephenson continue to improve. Schwartz will play the full year at Guard vs. a half season. Hopefully you get Alex Smith 2.0 all year long. And I wonder if Rokevius Watkins or Rishaw Johnson can give Allen a run for his money. Only downgrades are maybe losing Albert and Hali getting another year older.

And this is all assuming that we do absolutely nothing this offseason.

Carlota69
01-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Enjoying football for roughly 16 weeks.

Sorry, but I hated being ****ing miserable during the regular season and having nothing to look forward to.

Exactly!!! As much as one and done sucks, It was the most enjoyable season of football in years, like 10 years. And now we can look forward to building off this year.
I never want to go thru the last few years again. I want people to hate this team like they hate the Patriots. I want them to hate us because we win too much. 2-14 seasons can suck it!

htismaqe
01-06-2014, 09:00 AM

What play? He's always hurt.

He sucks AND he's a fucking pussy.

htismaqe
01-06-2014, 09:00 AM
Exactly!!! As much as one and done sucks, It was the most enjoyable season of football in years, like 10 years. And now we can look forward to building off this year.
I never want to go thru the last few years again. I want people to hate this team like they hate the Patriots. I want them to hate us because we win too much. 2-14 seasons can suck it!

People hate the Patriots because they were in HALF of the Super Bowls of the 2000's and won 3 of them.

We'll NEVER be the Patriots, ever.

scho63
01-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Both will depend on the contract. If Tyson Jackson gets paid like a starter, then **** no. If McCluster is paid top shelf returner or slot receiver money, then **** no. I have a weird feeling that both may be reasonable about their value. We will probably overpay for both, but think we can get both reasonably cheap.

But both players can and should be upgraded. The difference is both can be incredibly valuable as depth players, McCluster especially. Jackson may be expendable if we feel like Bailey and catapano can be an equal match to play depth support.

Agree :thumb:

mszymko
01-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Needs: FS, WR, ILB, DE, CB

Adding Byrd or a stud vet CB and developing Cummings (CB/S) will sure up our secondary. Same can be said for our WR core if we are able to add Maclin and develop kelce. Basically Im for grabbing a vet FS or CB that can add some leadership to our D, and snagging a WR that can produce tomorrow.

If we can pull off the above, then I would draft CJ Mosley to complete our LB core and pass rush. Then I would add best available CB/DE/WR in the 3rd to add to our rotation.

Rausch
01-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Adding Byrd and developing Cummings will sure up our secondary.

I doubt it.

Same can be said for our WR core if we are able to add Maclin and develop kelce.

Two huge injury players you want to depend on?

Basically Im for grabbing a vet FS or CB that can add some leadership to our D, and snagging a WR that can produce tomorrow.

Now this I can agree with...

The Franchise
01-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Even with bad CB's, you definitely have the choice to pass on giving Dunta Robinson a contract....much less the amount of money they actually gave him.

The most wtf signing that even the majority of cp knew it was fucking stupid when it was first announced.

At the time they had no choice. Hindsight is 20/20. We literally had jackshit at that time at the CB position. They brought in Smith but we still had nothing at NB. Robinson was brought on to be that NB. If it wasn't for Cooper being a surprise....you would have seen more of Robinson in the beginning of the year. Robinson was what he was supposed to be....insurance and depth.

mszymko
01-06-2014, 10:40 AM
"Two huge injury players you want to depend on?"

Yeah I see what you mean there. Still seems like a likely scenario though.

As for Byrd...seems more likely we would go after a cheaper option for a vet CB and ask Cummings to play FS.

Rausch
01-06-2014, 10:42 AM
"Two huge injury players you want to depend on?"

Yeah I see what you mean there. Still seems like a likely scenario though.

I'd say possible at best...