PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Fan Experience - One major advantage Lucas Oil has over Arrowhead

pr_capone
01-06-2014, 12:06 AM
Parking.

The stadium, being located downtown, utilizes a large number of parking lots around the city that typically charge around $20 for an event. Since I had paid for the overnight valet parking at the hotel, I paid $15 for the the event.

From the hotel it was a 5 minute walk to the stadium through the city. Everything is flat, clean, and paved so getting there was a breeze. There are no open container laws so you can bar hop on your way into the stadium. There is a local Scottish Ale called WeeMac that is delicious.

After the game, I was back on the highway within 7 minutes of getting my car. It was the cleanest exit I have ever made when leaving an event. My exit was likely expedited by the locals swarming to the bars to celebrate... leaving the roads clear.

The trade off is the tailgating experience. Instead of grills and outdoor partying... you have bars and climate controlled partying.

stevieray
01-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Don't forget Matty White Castle

rabblerouser
01-06-2014, 12:09 AM
perfect for the cheese and wine crowd.

NewChief
01-06-2014, 12:10 AM
My wife said Indy fans were the biggest assholes she has ever met when she went to the ill-fated playoff game there during Trent's concussion season.

Said they were heckling Trent's wife and kids on the way into the stadium. And I should add, not just heckling but talking concussion smack.

pr_capone
01-06-2014, 12:11 AM

LMAO

Fritz88
01-06-2014, 12:20 AM
Good stadium.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2014, 12:25 AM
Parking.

The stadium, being located downtown, utilizes a large number of parking lots around the city that typically charge around $20 for an event. Since I had paid for the overnight valet parking at the hotel, I paid $15 for the the event.

From the hotel it was a 5 minute walk to the stadium through the city. Everything is flat, clean, and paved so getting there was a breeze. There are no open container laws so you can bar hop on your way into the stadium. There is a local Scottish Ale called WeeMac that is delicious.

After the game, I was back on the highway within 7 minutes of getting my car. It was the cleanest exit I have ever made when leaving an event. My exit was likely expedited by the locals swarming to the bars to celebrate... leaving the roads clear.

The trade off is the tailgating experience. Instead of grills and outdoor partying... you have bars and climate controlled partying.

I have lived in both environments in several cities. To me, there is no excuse for a Midwest city not to have a good tailgating setup. I get drunk at bars almost every week to watch games. If I buy tickets, I want to be in a parking lot with a good tailgate scene and I want to see people in jerseys walking around in the open, not packed into a bar.

That's what's great about college football games. Blocks upon blocks of fans drinking outside and tailgating.

pr_capone
01-06-2014, 12:29 AM
I have lived in both environments in several cities. To me, there is no excuse for a Midwest city not to have a good tailgating setup. I get drunk at bars almost every week to watch games. If I buy tickets, I want to be in a parking lot with a good tailgate scene and I want to see people in jerseys walking around in the open, not packed into a bar.

You see both in Indy. No open container laws means a bunch of fans meandering through the city before the game. Even then, I bet those bars turn into mini chiefsplanets where its mostly a bunch of regulars going there on gameday so they all get to know one another.

That's what's great about college football games. Blocks upon blocks of fans drinking outside and tailgating.

Don't misunderstand... I wouldn't trade Arrowhead's tailgating for the bar experience. That said, being able to get out instantly was extremely nice.

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2014, 12:37 AM
You see both in Indy. No open container laws means a bunch of fans meandering through the city before the game. Even then, I bet those bars turn into mini chiefsplanets where its mostly a bunch of regulars going there on gameday so they all get to know one another.

Don't misunderstand... I wouldn't trade Arrowhead's tailgating for the bar experience. That said, being able to get out instantly was extremely nice.

Probably wrongly associating my experience in St. Louis where there aren't good bars around the stadium. Buying a ticket to a Rams game was the most ridiculous waste of money, and I still just hate watching football games in an arena. I could see your point about bars, though, if I was a visitor and the bars were close enough to the stadium so Indy is probably much different on 2nd thought.

The problem I have with bars on game day is that people tend to fixate on TVs and I'd rather see everyone in one place, versus having some people in one bar, others in another bar, others wandering around. I guess I'm just a purist. I want to see people with grills, throwing footballs around, playing cornhole, what not. I love drinking out of solo cups, spontaneous games of beer pong, and I especially love tailgate scenes that have outdoor vendors serving beer.

Mosbonian
01-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Parking.

My parking is free...

And your assumption is correct about your easy exit....most were probably headed to the bars to celebrate. Normally getting out after an event is a pain unless you know the routes most people don't take.

Rams Fan
01-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Probably wrongly associating my experience in St. Louis where there aren't good bars around the stadium. Buying a ticket to a Rams game was the most ridiculous waste of money, and I still just hate watching football games in an arena. I could see your point about bars, though, if I was a visitor and the bars were close enough to the stadium so Indy is probably much different on 2nd thought.

Washington Avenue isn't too far from the Dome.Leaving it directly after a game would be a pain in the ass, however.

As for tailgating and the like, there's not much the Rams can do about that. The city is the one that designed a convention center that can host football. As a result, the game day football experience wasn't really considered when the Dome was built and it's already outdated in under 20 years.

WakkaWakka
01-06-2014, 10:09 AM

ROFL still waiting for that meme.

NewChief
01-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Washington Avenue isn't too far from the Dome.Leaving it directly after a game would be a pain in the ass, however.

As for tailgating and the like, there's not much the Rams can do about that. The city is the one that designed a convention center that can host football. As a result, the game day football experience wasn't really considered when the Dome was built and it's already outdated in under 20 years.

We used to tailgate in St. Louis quite a bit due to the wife's family being from there. They were season ticket holders for years, and they had a parking lot where they had a good group of friends who all tailgated there. It was pretty fun.

That being said, the TWA dome has to be one of the most depressing places to watch a game when that team isn't good. Back in the Vemeil/Martz era, it was pretty awesome, but it's horribly depressing when it's not filled. I guess that goes for any stadium, but it just seems amplified there for some reason (maybe it's because it's such a contrast with the glory days).

Demonpenz
01-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Hopefully they move Arrowhead to the Legends. Get some of that SKC championship to rub off on them,

stevieray
01-06-2014, 10:47 AM
My wife said Indy fans were the biggest assholes she has ever met when she went to the ill-fated playoff game there during Trent's concussion season.

Said they were heckling Trent's wife and kids on the way into the stadium. And I should add, not just heckling but talking concussion smack.

yup...sadly, doesn't surprise me....worst fans I've ever encountered...

Mosbonian
01-06-2014, 10:49 AM

I know there are jerks in every football fan base, but I don't get this from my experience. I find the Colts fans just the same as Chiefs fans, only less passionate when it comes to tailgating. And to some extent a bit more of a bandwagon group like someone else said here.

They seem to be more of the shrimp cocktail and wine crowd for the most part.

Not saying your wife wasn't treated poorly....I am confident there are jerks here and have experienced it myself too.

Just don't want to let people categorize the whole group of fans based on a few scattered incidents.

Mosbonian
01-06-2014, 10:53 AM
yup...sadly, doesn't surprise me....worst fans I've ever encountered...

I hate that for you Stevieray......next time you come this way, let me introduce you to some of my friends I have made here. A pretty nice group of people who are also Indiana Hoosier fans who detest KU and UK people. :clap:

That alone makes them OK to me.

stevieray
01-06-2014, 10:53 AM
I hate that for you Stevieray......next time you come this way, let me introduce you to some of my friends I have made here. A pretty nice group of people who are also Indiana Hoosier fans who detest KU and UK people. :clap:

That alone makes them OK to me.

:thumb:

DaFace
01-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Denver's similar to that. The stadium is right across I-25 from downtown Denver, so there's not a huge parking lot on-site like Arrowhead. That results in a bit of a diminished "party atmosphere" before games since you're not walking through miles and miles of tailgates, so I don't like it as much.

However, there are a million parking lots you can use in the area, and the public transportation infrastructure to get there is great. It's far easier to get in and out of there because it's better suited to handle that kind of traffic on a day-to-day basis from commuters in the first place.