PDA

View Full Version : Life PUT YOUR F***ING PHONE DOWN!

gblowfish
01-06-2014, 04:04 PM
I really like this. I think a lot of people, young and old alike, miss the simple pleasure of life because they're slaves to the damn phones. Just put the phone away and see the joys of life that are around you. You're paying attention to the wrong thing!

http://www.artthesystem.com/2013/12/after-i-saw-this-i-put-down-my-phone.html

MrGiggity
01-06-2014, 04:14 PM
I approve this message. My problem is being on my laptop all god damn day.

GordonGekko
01-06-2014, 04:17 PM
A cell phone to some people is a leash. To others, it is a very effective communication device.

The Franchise
01-06-2014, 04:22 PM
I picked up my phone 30 seconds into that.

EPodolak
01-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Came across that video the other night, coincidentally while shopping for my first smartphone. Living mindfully in the moment is damn hard work.

01-06-2014, 04:31 PM
I try very hard to ignore my phone unless I am expecting something important.

Nzoner
01-06-2014, 04:34 PM
PUT YOUR F***ING PHONE DOWN!

I've been very close to saying this to my mrs lately.

TimBone
01-06-2014, 04:36 PM
I watched it on my phone.

stevieray
01-06-2014, 04:40 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've had to pass someone on highway in the right lane, because the person in the left lane is going 10 mph below the speed limit while yakking on their phone.

inside movie theatres? LOL

Dayze
01-06-2014, 04:41 PM
I watched it on my phone.

LMAO

Bob Dole
01-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Bob Dole took a selfie of Bob Dole watching the video on Bob Dole's iPhone and posted it on Facebook.

Stewie
01-06-2014, 04:42 PM
The phone companies have great marketing and sales from the top down. They've conditioned the sheep that they need to pay $50+ per month. It's pure genious.

01-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Bob Dole took a selfie of Bob Dole watching the video on Bob Dole's iPhone and posted it on Facebook.

I can confirm this is untrue.:evil:

Dayze
01-06-2014, 04:44 PM
how am I supposed to watch snuff films while driving?

HemiEd
01-06-2014, 04:46 PM
In about 5 months, I will no longer have a phone. If you want to get in touch with me, call my wife and she will give me a message when I come in from fishing. :D

Coach
01-06-2014, 04:49 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've had to pass someone on highway in the right lane, because the person in the left lane is going 10 mph below the speed limit while yakking on their phone.

inside movie theatres? LOL

I say the "Put the fucking phone down" when I am driving and I see someone on their phone text messaging or talking while driving.

It's a joke.

Dayze
01-06-2014, 04:51 PM
my co-worker has a cardboard sign (about8"x11") with big bold black sharpie marker that says "Hang Up Your Fucking Phone" lol. He keeps in between his seat and console. just slips right between there.

I've never seen him use it, but I have no doubt he has.

BWillie
01-06-2014, 05:05 PM
The phone companies have great marketing and sales from the top down. They've conditioned the sheep that they need to pay $50+ per month. It's pure genious.

Fair enough, but its always been a want. I remember when I first got a flip phone that had dinosaur slow internet that could only be used to read text. I always thought that id they could ever make a PDA like a phone w a touch screen w fast internet that is something everybody would want. And sure as shit 14 yrs later. Ppl always wanted it. They just couldnt

Hammock Parties
01-06-2014, 05:20 PM
I have a phone but only use it for calling and texting.

I spend enough time on damn computer at home, don't need it when I'm out.

Dayze
01-06-2014, 05:23 PM
I always joke with my wife when I see all these people on phones while driving "What are they, fucking brain surgeons getting an on-call notice"?

jkw87
01-06-2014, 06:12 PM
I spend more time on my phone than the computer. I pay all my bills, read all my emails and browse Chiefs Planet/Reddit with it. Granted, I don't do it the majority of the day and only when I'm at work and there is downtime.

TLO
01-06-2014, 07:42 PM
I watched it on my phone, then turned it off half way through.

I'll admit I yell "PUT YOUR FUCKING PHONE DOWN" all the time at people when I'm driving though.

TLO
01-06-2014, 07:43 PM
I have a phone but only use it for calling and texting.

I spend enough time on damn computer at home, don't need it when I'm out.

:skip:

underEJ
01-06-2014, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't be out much if I didn't have a great phone to stay connected to work. I, however, never drive texting or dialing or anything. And when I am with friends, I do not stay on my phone when it is rude to do so.

Over twenty years ago, when I first would see people with car phones or those giant Miami Vice drug dealer phones while driving, my room mate at the time, who was usually with me, would hold up a plastic banana like a phone and we would pull up next to the yakking driver to make fun of them.

It was quite a brilliant social commentary that would probably still be effective today! j/k

BryanBusby
01-06-2014, 07:58 PM
my co-worker has a cardboard sign (about8"x11") with big bold black sharpie marker that says "Hang Up Your Fucking Phone" lol. He keeps in between his seat and console. just slips right between there.

I've never seen him use it, but I have no doubt he has.
This is a fantastic idea.

cosmo20002
01-06-2014, 08:23 PM
I really like this. I think a lot of people, young and old alike, miss the simple pleasure of life because they're slaves to the damn phones. Just put the phone away and see the joys of life that are around you. You're paying attention to the wrong thing!

http://www.artthesystem.com/2013/12/after-i-saw-this-i-put-down-my-phone.html

Angry Birds > the joys of life that are around me

Dave Lane
01-06-2014, 08:59 PM
I try very hard to ignore my phone unless I am expecting something important.

I ignore it half the time then.

mr. tegu
01-06-2014, 09:35 PM
I approve this message.

Sent from my iPhone 4 via tapatalk.

ghak99
01-06-2014, 10:57 PM
The amount of ass I get would decrease quite drastically if I ignored my phone any more than I already do. It's become an evil necessity.

I take several trips a year where thee is zero reception. It's damn nice to leave civilization behind and enjoy every minute of the day with no electronic attachment.

fan4ever
01-06-2014, 11:24 PM
Was in Hawaii two years ago, sitting in an outdoor bar overlooking the ocean as the sun was setting. Looked around at my family and friends and they were ALL on their phones. I was astounded and I said, rather loudly, "You've got to be f*cking kidding me! We're sitting in paradise and you're on your f*cking phones". Got my point across.

|Zach|
01-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Was in Hawaii two years ago, sitting in an outdoor bar overlooking the ocean as the sun was setting. Looked around at my family and friends and they were ALL on their phones. I was astounded and I said, rather loudly, "You've got to be ****ing kidding me! We're sitting in paradise and you're on your ****ing phones". Got my point across.

Was in Hawaii two years ago, sitting in an outdoor bar overlooking the ocean as the sun was setting. Looked around at this guy who was being a dick to people minding their own business. I was astounded and I said, rather loudly, "You've got to be ****ing kidding me! We're sitting in paradise and you're yelling at people". Got my point across.

Bump
01-06-2014, 11:47 PM
but but everybody must show what they are having for dinner and what their baby is doing! without a phone to quickly take the pic and post it, what would they do!

Hammock Parties
01-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Was in Hawaii two years ago, sitting in an outdoor bar overlooking the ocean as the sun was setting. Looked around at this guy who was being a dick to people minding their own business. I was astounded and I said, rather loudly, "You've got to be ****ing kidding me! We're sitting in paradise and you're yelling at people". Got my point across.

Was in Hawaii two years ago, sitting in an outdoor bar overlooking the ocean as the sun was setting. Looked around at this guy who was being a dick to people who were on their fucking phones. I was astounded and I said, rather loudly, "You've got to be ****ing kidding me! You're sitting in paradise with your family and friends and you're being assholes!" Got my point across.

Bump
01-06-2014, 11:48 PM
I went to a dinner party not long ago, the host handed out everybody a nice steak and then said stop! And pulled out his phone and took a pic and immediately posted it on facebook.

This shit has gone too far.

gosampel
01-07-2014, 12:00 AM
who cares, soon we will be going to court by web internet it's coming

Sannyasi
01-07-2014, 01:13 AM
If I am looking at my phone more than you its probably because you stink. How about trying to earn my attention by practicing some better anecdotes rather than trying to shame me over the fact that you are a dullard.

taterhog
01-07-2014, 08:03 AM
This is a fantastic idea.

Road rage cards from tshirthell are about the same thing, just more variety. Not sure if they still sell them though.

Jimmya
01-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Seen alot of people paying with food stamps but carrying an I phone.

ChiefGator
01-07-2014, 10:05 AM
In about 5 months, I will no longer have a phone. If you want to get in touch with me, call my wife and she will give me a message when I come in from fishing. :D

This definitely reminds me of this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WwRrKaq0IyY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ChiefGator
01-07-2014, 10:06 AM
I went to a dinner party not long ago, the host handed out everybody a nice steak and then said stop! And pulled out his phone and took a pic and immediately posted it on facebook.

This shit has gone too far.

If it's not going on social media, it apparently doesn't count anymore.

morphius
01-07-2014, 10:08 AM
I do find it funny when they have live concerts on TV, and it looks like half the crowd is watching it through their phones as they are recording it.

Rausch
01-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Never had a cell phone and never will...

ChiefGator
01-07-2014, 10:18 AM
This is about texting and driving, but it is pretty powerful. And I'm a big fan of Werner Herzog and heard him talking about it NPR.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/16/tech/mobile/werner-herzog-texting-driving/

It's about a minute and a half, but there is a longer version.

Fire Me Boy!
01-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Was in Hawaii two years ago, sitting in an outdoor bar overlooking the ocean as the sun was setting. Looked around at this guy who was being a dick to people who were on their ****ing phones. I was astounded and I said, rather loudly, "You've got to be ****ing kidding me! You're sitting in paradise with your family and friends and you're being assholes!" Got my point across.

Was in Hawaii two years ago, sitting in an outdoor bar overlooking the ocean as the sun was setting. Looked around and saw all these people yelling at each other about being on their ****ing phones and being assholes to each other. I left and found a bar where there were fewer bitches. I doubt anyone noticed.

ChiTown
01-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Was in Hawaii two years ago, sitting in an outdoor bar overlooking the ocean as the sun was setting. Looked around at this guy who was being a dick to people who were on their ****ing phones. I was astounded and I said, rather loudly, "You've got to be ****ing kidding me! You're sitting in paradise with your family and friends and you're being assholes!" Got my point across.

That never happened. Guaranteed.

tooge
01-07-2014, 10:38 AM
I don't do any of that shit. When I play golf, I leave my phone in my truck. When I go fishing, I only use it to take pics of our catch. I have friends that talk to me while looking at their phone and I want to take it and smash it. Phones suck. I don't take "selfies", I don't text much. I use to love when I'd go somewhere, nobody could get in touch with me. They had to leave a message on my home voice recorder and wait for me to call them back. I miss that.

Now, if I change my mind about what I'm going to do on my day off, my time is accounted for by everyone else. It sucks. I recently went on a canoe trip. The campsite had no cell service. I had a buddy that would leave the site in the morning and evening in order to call his wife to say hi. WTF? Why get away if you aren't getting away. You phone people suck.

Fire Me Boy!
01-07-2014, 10:42 AM
I don't do any of that shit. When I play golf, I leave my phone in my truck. When I go fishing, I only use it to take pics of our catch. I have friends that talk to me while looking at their phone and I want to take it and smash it. Phones suck. I don't take "selfies", I don't text much. I use to love when I'd go somewhere, nobody could get in touch with me. They had to leave a message on my home voice recorder and wait for me to call them back. I miss that.

Now, if I change my mind about what I'm going to do on my day off, my time is accounted for by everyone else. It sucks. I recently went on a canoe trip. The campsite had no cell service. I had a buddy that would leave the site in the morning and evening in order to call his wife to say hi. WTF? Why get away if you aren't getting away. You phone people suck.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/8408/px9r.jpg

BWillie
01-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Seen alot of people paying with food stamps but carrying an I phone.

It's true. It's maddening. At the same time though, people foreclosure on their house, yet keep the Porsche. Priorities people.

gblowfish
01-07-2014, 12:27 PM
One of my dearest friends is a total social media animal. He posts pictures of what he eats, what he's doing, what his dog and cat are doing....just about everything during the course of the day. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't start posting a pic of his morning dump every day. That's about all that's missing.

Pablo
01-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Was that video supposed to resonate deep inside of me somewhere?

As I post on a Chiefs board, from my sweet-ass laptop and fast internet?

I waste more time on this site than I do browsing my phone when I'm out and about. Put the fucking CP down, people.

Tombstone RJ
01-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Here's the irony I see in our modern society where everyone has a smart phone: it actually isolates people more. How many times in a public place do you see a person just staring at their phone, texting or posting or playing a game or surfing the net or whatever, rather than interacting with those around him/her?

These smart phones don't connect anyone. They isolate people who are sitting right next to each other because one person is doing something on his/her phone while the other person is doing something on his/her phone. Instead of talking face to face, they are sitting right next to each other texting someone else or playing a game.

It's so wierd.

Pablo
01-07-2014, 12:38 PM
One of my dearest friends is a total social media animal. He posts pictures of what he eats, what he's doing, what his dog and cat are doing....just about everything during the course of the day. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't start posting a pic of his morning dump every day. That's about all that's missing.I know a guy who has ten of thousands of posts on an online message board.

He talks about what he eats, what he's doing, what his animals are doing, everything that enters his mind get posted on this board for hundreds and thousands of other people to see and comment on. Sometimes he even argues politics and religion!

Next thing you know, he'll be starting poop threads.

I mean, if we're really bashing mindless social media babble, this place has more to offer than my Facebook and twitter combined.

Fire Me Boy!
01-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Here's the irony I see in our modern society where everyone has a smart phone: it actually isolates people more. How many times in a public place do you see a person just staring at their phone, texting or posting or playing a game or surfing the net or whatever, rather than interacting with those around him/her?

These smart phones don't connect anyone. They isolate people who are sitting right next to each other because one person is doing something on his/her phone while the other person is doing something on his/her phone. Instead of talking face to face, they are sitting right next to each other texting someone else or playing a game.

It's so wierd.

You're totally right. Smartphones have made us all totally uncommunicative. We used to talk to each other so much.

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4c6e87de7f8b9a5a5a930200/nobody-wants-to-bail-out-newspapers-especially-not-readers.jpg

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/1963021513/f14_04010462.jpg

http://images.fastcompany.com/upload/inline-mass-media-train-newspaper-readers.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/4/9/1365516559788/1955-train-006.jpg

Tombstone RJ
01-07-2014, 12:44 PM
You're totally right. Smartphones have made us all totally uncommunicative. We used to talk to each other so much.

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4c6e87de7f8b9a5a5a930200/nobody-wants-to-bail-out-newspapers-especially-not-readers.jpg

lol, fair enough. Maybe it's just something I notice due to things like head phones where someone with a smart phone can completely tune out people around him/her.

Fire Me Boy!
01-07-2014, 12:46 PM
lol, fair enough. Maybe it's just something I notice due to things like head phones where someone with a smart phone can completely tune out people around him/her.

It's just new technology replacing old.

Bearcat
01-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Meh, for the most part I like staying engaged with work and the interesting people I know... not so much with some random person next to me in a public place. You can have as much or as little competing for your attention as you want, so if you don't like someone checking their phone or whatever, maybe you should be more interesting. :shrug:

Seriously though, I'm not one to randomly check FB or CP while I'm talking with someone and I'll ignore texts if I'm out with people unless there's an appropriate time to do so.... but, the whole "missing out on life" just seems odd to me, like when someone goes into a BB thread during FB season and is all "omg, you're talking about BB!" like football takes 100% of our attention for 5 months.

It's nice to disengage from it all every once in a while though. I've noticed those who were the slowest to get a smartphone in fear of being available 24/7 seem to get the most annoyed when I ignore a text for a few hours.

fan4ever
01-07-2014, 01:19 PM

Awe, you no like me? LMAO

Chiefshrink
01-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Especially when driving. Your odds of living longer and keeping your insurance rates in check increase dramatically:thumb:

"Texting while driving is the equivalent of driving drunk". Anymore nowadays when I see a car drifting from side to side, sure as anything they are F'n texting:cuss:

Bearcat
01-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Especially when driving. Your odds of living longer and keeping your insurance rates in check increase dramatically:thumb:

"Texting while driving is the equivalent of driving drunk". Anymore nowadays when I see a car drifting from side to side, sure as anything they are F'n texting:cuss:

That quote is really over dramatic for what studies actually show. Bad drivers are bad drivers and idiots are idiots, and mixing them with phones indeed makes it worse.

Sorce
01-07-2014, 02:40 PM
The only thing that really bothers me is that in the mornings after my workout I'm walking out of work to take my gym bag to the car and grab my laptop while everyone else is walking in. Probably twice a week someone almost runs into me because they are too busy looking at their phone to look where they are walking.

Iowanian
01-07-2014, 06:36 PM
I went to Belize a couple of years ago......because Hawaii is rumored to be full of douchebags.

I have thought about making a couple of small signs to keep in my transportation mechanism. I was thinking 2, with a positive and negative note on each side to cover most needs. Including a thank you.

LoneWolf
01-07-2014, 06:53 PM
It's just new technology replacing old.

Not quite. Those pictures you posted were of people getting their news from the only source available at the time. They weren't spending hours a day on Facebook, twitter, Instagram, I-tunes, etc... Posting pictures of their dog, dinner, and such. When people got together back then they actually sat around and conversed. Today you can't go out to dinner with a group of people without some narcissistic douchebag pulling out their phone to update their Facebook status, text someone what they are doing, or spout their stupid opinion on Twitter.

Kids today are quickly losing the ability to communicate effectively. Technology has given us many great things, but the price for these advances is the things we will surely lose like effective verbal communication, adequate attention spans, and the feeling that some things in life should be kept to yourself.

LoneWolf
01-07-2014, 06:56 PM
I went to Belize a couple of years ago......because Hawaii is rumored to be full of douchebags.

I have thought about making a couple of small signs to keep in my transportation mechanism. I was thinking 2, with a positive and negative note on each side to cover most needs. Including a thank you.

Hawaii is great and from my experience the rumors you've heard are unfounded. Local Hawaiians are some of the most generous and laid back people I've ever met.

How was Belize? I've heard good things from several other people.

BWillie
01-07-2014, 08:36 PM
That quote is really over dramatic for what studies actually show. Bad drivers are bad drivers and idiots are idiots, and mixing them with phones indeed makes it worse.

Exactly.

WhiteWhale
01-07-2014, 08:38 PM
My brother insists this is the real zombie apocalypse.

houstonwhodat
01-07-2014, 09:33 PM
I totally agree.

The worst is when they are driving and there is clear asphalt ahead of them.

Or in the movie theater.

Or just talking out loud everywhere in person.

I don't want to hear your ****ing conversations.

KcMizzou
01-07-2014, 09:35 PM
My brother insists this is the real zombie apocalypse.Pretty sure Stephen King wrote a novel about that.

Bearcat
01-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Pretty sure Stephen King wrote a novel about that.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/8/f/d/8fdbd1c1b22a172b3e87cbf096654462.gif

gblowfish
01-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Performers OWN rude guy on his phone during their show....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Yi5rk9kzdys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jimmya
01-08-2014, 10:06 AM
It's getting ridiculous, but what can we do about it?

blaise
01-08-2014, 10:12 AM
The people that get me are parents at sports games that just stare at their phone for the whole game. You can't watch your kid play soccer or baseball for an hour?

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Just released, I thought it was particularly pertinent:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/photos.png

Eleazar
01-08-2014, 10:16 AM
That never happened. Guaranteed.

that

ghak99
01-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Performers OWN rude guy on his phone during their show....

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Yi5rk9kzdys" allowfullscreen="" width="420" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

LMAO

That's pretty good.

Iowanian
01-08-2014, 05:06 PM
I think you missed the chain of posts from gochiefs and zach et al about an experience in Hawaii.

Hawaii is great and from my experience the rumors you've heard are unfounded. Local Hawaiians are some of the most generous and laid back people I've ever met.

How was Belize? I've heard good things from several other people.

Marcellus
01-08-2014, 05:09 PM
I think you missed the chain of posts from gochiefs and zach et al about an experience in Hawaii.

I spent a week in Hawaii a few years ago and absolutely totally and completely loved every minute.

I am sure like anything it depends on where you go and what you do.

LoneWolf
01-08-2014, 06:00 PM

Yeah, sorry. I guess that will teach me to jump into the middle of a thread.