PDA

View Full Version : Life Just got home (STL) from Indy after a 10 hour drive

Fritz88
01-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Before the game, one Colts fan shouted at us "Prepare to lose, it's going to be a loooong ride home". And a long ride it was.

I drove to Indy on Saturday morning, thought I'd watch the game and maybe bail at night. I was too tired to drive on Saturday night and decided to go later on Sunday. I said to myself that it can't be too bad. It's only a 4 hour drive!

Then the blizzard happened.

I had to book an additional night.

Monday came, and I had had enough. I have a doctor's appointment. I needed to leave. I checked out the hotel when waves of people were checking in. All thought I was crazy to be driving in that weather.

It was the most stressful drive I have had in my life.

Remember the Fangorn Forest in TLOTR?

It was like that. Driving on I70 west was horrifying. So many flipped and crashed cars. You knew going in that it was going to be bad. But I never thought I'd be driving less than 30 mph for almost the entire trip!!

I am glad I made it safe. The game was fun. The Chiefs were fun to watch. This was probably my last game ever to watch for the Chiefs in person. I am going home this summer and it's very unlikely I'll be coming back to watch a game.

C3HIEF3S
01-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Where is your home?

cdcox
01-06-2014, 11:22 PM
The game was fun.

I'd rather do the drive than watch a game like that again.

stevieray
01-06-2014, 11:22 PM
sorry brother...Back in 92..I had to drive back to Denver from KC at 40 mph..they closed the highway right after we got home..it's completely nerve racking.

wish I could've met you.

Fritz88
01-06-2014, 11:27 PM

LMAO

Rasputin
01-06-2014, 11:35 PM

I'd rather be the car that flipped than watch a game like that again.

pr_capone
01-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Amateurs.

I averaged 70 through all that shit from St. Louis to Wichita. I'd throw on the brights to look for the reflectors because I couldn't see what direction the road was going. When I did, my brother commented that it looked like the view from the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon when it went to hyperdrive.

The most harrowing party of the trip for us was having a snow plow get out in front of me off an exit... it had me slowed down to about 30MPH. Worse yet, he was in the far left lane and throwing snow to the right and blocking the entire highway in the process. Jumped to the right and drove through his plow's wake, scary as **** and would never do again, and had completely unplowed/unoccupied road for the next 40 miles.

Thank Subaru for AWD.

Mav
01-06-2014, 11:52 PM
Glad you made it safely.

WakkaWakka
01-06-2014, 11:57 PM
I was running on 2 hours of sleep the whole weekend. Stevieray and I wanted to get the hell outta there before the storm hit so we made the all night drive, most of the way at 70 mph, wasn't that bad except when the crap became a whirlwind due to a snow plow in front of us. Overall, I'm glad we made the decision to make the journey home. There was no reason to stay in that hell hole any longer after that loss. I'm just glad I had steve there to keep me company and keep me awake!

Rain Man
01-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Wow, how horrible.

Living in St. Louis, I mean.

Simply Red
01-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Fritz I'm worried about you - but I just can't handle any more bad news - so tell me at another time. I am hoping you're ok.

Fritz88
01-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Wow, how horrible.

Living in St. Louis, I mean.

It's 2000 times better than Indy if you ask me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fritz88
01-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Fritz I'm worried about you - but I just can't handle any more bad news - so tell me at another time. I am hoping you're ok.

I am okay dear. Xoxox
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply Red
01-07-2014, 12:16 AM
I am okay dear. Xoxox
Posted via Mobile Device

well that's refreshing.

EdmontonChiefsFan
01-07-2014, 12:31 AM
We went to Cincy after the Chiefs game. The roads were really sketchy but we made it back to Indy. Now we are stuck here and might not make it home to Canada for several days. My wife is stressed out and she needs to make it back so she can run our company payroll.

I thought it would be great for her to experience an NFL weekend with the boys and now she says "I will never go away on a Football trip again". What an epic fail.

Hopefully we make it home on Thurs/Fri

Mosbonian
01-07-2014, 06:54 AM
We went to Cincy after the Chiefs game. The roads were really sketchy but we made it back to Indy. Now we are stuck here and might not make it home to Canada for several days. My wife is stressed out and she needs to make it back so she can run our company payroll.

I thought it would be great for her to experience an NFL weekend with the boys and now she says "I will never go away on a Football trip again". What an epic fail.

Hopefully we make it home on Thurs/Fri

Hopefully you are staying downtown....

RockChalk
01-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Drove back from StL on Sunday. We left around 11am and averaged around 55mph until we got about 40 miles outside of Columbia. That's when the shitty Hyundia Tuscon rental we had decided to blow it's transmission. We were able to manually shift it into gear, but couldn't get it above 2K RPMs or above 40mph.

We were lucky that the car even was able to limp in to the Enterprise out at the CoMo airport and even more lucky that they were open. They switched us to a Tahoe and 70 was in pretty good shape once you got west of Columbia.

After the car troubles, took us about 7 hours total to get from StL to KC