PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 21

Rain Man
01-07-2014, 11:51 PM
The rules:

In Round 1, I'm going to put up three randomly selected scenes from the nomination thread.

You'll vote for your ONE favorite scene among the three. The key here is FAVORITE. We're not talking about the 'best' or 'most powerful' or 'most meaningful'. We're talking about the scene that you most enjoy watching, however you define that.

The winners will move on. I'll also take the 10 highest-scoring second-place scenes and they'll advance as wild cards.

Some of our nominations did not include clips. This will be noted. If you find a clip, please post it and let me know so I can update it if it moves on.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VC1_tdnZq1A?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FI1ylg4GKv8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/r3qlYMf9rIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TLO
01-07-2014, 11:52 PM
In b4 pollz

Rain Man
01-07-2014, 11:54 PM
My votes:

#1 - Rain Man by a narrow margin. It's simultaneously annoying and entertaining, but I like the waitress's line at the end.

#2 - Gladiator. I would have no problem picking this one as well. It's a good scene, but I think he's a little too casual taking on six guys.

#3 - The Godfather. I find the screaming a bit weird,

TLO
01-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Gladiator gets my vote. Probably my favorite scene from one of my favorite movies.

Easy 6
01-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Just go ahead and call it now, Gladiator will run away with it.

TimBone
01-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Strong heat. Another one where you're kinda sad that all three won't go through. I chose the toothpick scene because it's more my kind of scene, but I like all three.

While I'm here though, I'll make a statement that will not be a popular one. Gladiator, while wonderful, was entirely too long of a movie. They could have cut about 30 minutes of footage from that movie and it would have been just as good.

cdcox
01-08-2014, 12:53 AM
Never really got into Gladiator. Saw it once, was pretty bored watching it, didn't think RC's performance was all that great, and never had a compulsion to see it again. That scene wasn't even convincing. Swishing sounds, blurry camera, flick of blood and a guy falls down. All the sudden professional gladiators have the reflexes of zombies. Not buying it.

cosmo20002
01-08-2014, 12:59 AM
The Godfather scene doesn't have the same impact out of context. In the previous scene he is showing off his prized horses but things take an ugly turn when he refuses to do a favor for the Godfather. The head in the bed is sending a little message.

01-08-2014, 01:00 AM
If Gladiator loses to Rainman it would be a travesty and I would NOT be entertained by it.

WhawhaWhat
01-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Rain Man by a mile.

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Gladiator - it's my favorite, and most Awesome, scene from the movie.

Mama Hip Rockets
01-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Dang, strong heat. After several weak ones in a row, this is welcome. You will probably have to take two or maybe even three clips from this heat.

TLO
01-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Strong heat. Another one where you're kinda sad that all three won't go through. I chose the toothpick scene because it's more my kind of scene, but I like all three.

While I'm here though, I'll make a statement that will not be a popular one. Gladiator, while wonderful, was entirely too long of a movie. They could have cut about 30 minutes of footage from that movie and it would have been just as good.

I agree with you about Gladiator. I've seen the movie numerous times, and I always find myself thinking the movie is dragging its feet at different points.

Easy 6
01-08-2014, 01:39 PM
This is closer than I thought it would be, the Godfather is great and thats a good scene, but not the best.

But that scene from Gladiator is possibly its best, with the opening battle being right there with it... but the dissenters here arent the first people who I've heard say this movie just didnt grab them the way it did me and others.

TLO
01-08-2014, 01:45 PM
I love how much respect he commands, even as a slave. He's getting ready to walk out, and all the guys in the cage show their respect. He walks out in the arena, and all 6 guys look nervous and downright terrified.

Just an awesome movie, and I don't gernerally like Russel Crow.

Mama Hip Rockets
01-08-2014, 03:09 PM
My votes:

#1 - Rain Man by a narrow margin. It's simultaneously annoying and entertaining, but I like the waitress's line at the end.

#2 - Gladiator. I would have no problem picking this one as well. It's a good scene, but I think he's a little too casual taking on six guys.

#3 - The Godfather. I find the screaming a bit weird,

This is my exact take. Close call between Rain Man and Gladiator, and The Godfather scene is good, but definitely has weird screaming.

TimBone
01-08-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm a little disappointed that the Rain Man scene is in third place.

TimBone
01-08-2014, 03:31 PM
I agree with you about Gladiator. I've seen the movie numerous times, and I always find myself thinking the movie is dragging its feet at different points.

I'm glad I'm not alone on that. I'm a bit harsh on movies as far as time goes. If a movie is over 2 hours long, then every second of it better be vital to the plot. I don't want to be sitting and watching a movie for that long unless it's necessary to the movie.

Gladiator is wonderful, but I'll always remember it as a movie that could be less time consuming.

Rasputin
01-09-2014, 09:24 PM
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii574/KCTattoo58/OaklandRaidersvKansasCityChiefs9l3wZiZdJl_c1-1.jpg (http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/KCTattoo58/media/OaklandRaidersvKansasCityChiefs9l3wZiZdJl_c1-1.jpg.html)

Rain Man
01-13-2014, 10:10 PM
Gladiator will continue to entertain us in the next round. Nice close heat here.

cdcox
01-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Gladiator will continue to entertain us in the next round. Nice close heat here.

I am not entertained.