PDA

View Full Version : News Boss sells restaurant to pay medical costs for employee with brain tumor

mikey23545
01-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Boss sells restaurant he has owned for 17 years to pay medical costs for employee, 19, with brain tumor

Michael De Beyer is selling Kaiserhof Restaurant in Montgomery, Texas after learning that one of his servers, Brittany Mathis, has a brain tumor
Brittany's mother and sister also work at the restaurant
Her father John died from an undetected brain tumor in 2000
De Beyer believes the restaurant is worth $2 million but is wanting to auction it off at a reserve price to help the family

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 10:01 EST, 7 January 2014 | UPDATED: 12:11 EST, 7 January 2014

A generous boss is selling the restaurant he has owned for 17 years to help a 19-year-old employee suffering from a brain tumor.

Brittany Mathis, whose father died suddenly from a brain tumor when she was just a child, was diagnosed last month - but does not have health insurance to cover the costs of her treatment.

Now Michael De Beyer, the German-born owner of Kaiserhof Restaurant and Wunderbar in Montgomery, Texas, has offered to sell his life's work to help the young server.

'I'm not able to just sit by and let it happen,' he told the Montgomery Courier. 'I couldn't live with myself; I would never be happy just earning money from my restaurant knowing that she needs help.'

Mathis, whose older sister and mother also work at the same restaurant, first noticed something was wrong when she saw a rash on her leg.

'I went to the hospital and found out it was my blood clotting,' Mathis told KHOU. 'So they wanted to keep me and do CAT scans and MRIs and the next day they came in and told me I had a tumor.'

Mathis, who says she suffers from painful headaches, was told she had a brain tumor the size of a ping pong ball in the left side of her brain, the Courier reported.

But despite the diagnosis, she has not gone ahead with treatment; she doesn't have heath insurance and has not yet signed up for Affordable Healthcare.

On hearing of the family's plight, De Beyer, a married father-of-two, told them he was going to sell his family's 6,000-square-foot restaurant to donate money to them.

'Here's a family, they really work hard, they have a lot of stuff against them in the past and they are not holding their hand open. They didn't even ask anybody for help,' De Beyer told KHOU.

He believes the restaurant is worth about $2 million and, before learning of Brittany's health issues, turned down an offer of $1.3 million.

'But now I want to auction it off at a reserve price [or minimum bid - 50 percent of the actual value] and anything above that will go to help Brittany,' he said.

He told KHOU that after selling the restaurant, he will spend more time with his wife and children.

The offer comes 14 years after Brittany's father, John, died suddenly at the age of 33 after an undetected brain tumor at the back of his skull ruptured suddenly.

'I guess sort of the same thing Brittany is going through,' said Brittany's mother Barbara Mathis, who is manager of the bar and restaurant.

'Michael has been a real blessing to our family. And he's just always been there whenever we've needed anything.'

Brittany added: 'I really think it's an amazing blessing and can't thank him enough.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2535229/Boss-sells-restaurant-owned-17-years-save-employee-19-tumor.html#ixzz2ppCtOY7y

gblowfish
01-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Link?

blaise
01-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Typical Texas asshole.

mikey23545
01-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Link?

?

Uhh....right at the bottom?

Demonpenz
01-08-2014, 10:44 AM
He's getting a huge tax write off to fund his other business.

Jimmya
01-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Bad a**!

Chief Gump
01-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Shouldn't she be able to sign up for healthcare now even with a preexisting condition due to Obamacare? Why should this guy have to sell his restaurant?

The Franchise
01-08-2014, 11:05 AM
So he'll be getting at least a million out of the deal. It sounds great but think of the number of people he's going to end up firing

allen_kcCard
01-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Shouldn't she be able to sign up for healthcare now even with a preexisting condition due to Obamacare? Why should this guy have to sell his restaurant?

That would be far less publicity.

Phobia
01-08-2014, 11:11 AM
So he'll be getting at least a million out of the deal. It sounds great but think of the number of people he's going to end up firing

When people buy a profitable restaurant, they generally prefer continuity.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2014, 11:12 AM
It's just now starting, i'm not even sure it's fully rolled out yet.

Rausch
01-08-2014, 11:13 AM
When people buy a profitable restaurant, they generally prefer continuity.

At first...

mikey23545
01-08-2014, 11:26 AM
It's quite surprising to see how so many people, when confronted by an act of compassion or philanthropy, immediately begin trying to tear it down.

Perhaps they do it to make themselves feel better about the fact that they would never be capable of it themselves.

TimBone
01-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Whether the guy is making out on the deal or not, it's still a wonderful display of compassion. Good for him.

KCUnited
01-08-2014, 11:44 AM
At first...

Yep, could be 1 year or could benign, but they'll eventually bring in their own people.

blaise
01-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Yep, could be 1 year or could benign, but they'll eventually bring in their own people.

They're restaurant workers. Most will probably move along with or without an ownership change.

ChiefRocka
01-08-2014, 12:36 PM
It's quite surprising to see how so many people, when confronted by an act of compassion or philanthropy, immediately begin trying to tear it down.

Perhaps they do it to make themselves feel better about the fact that they would never be capable of it themselves.

Tebow?

Donger
01-08-2014, 12:44 PM
It's just now starting, i'm not even sure it's fully rolled out yet.

It's apparently a real head ache to sign up for, yes.

InChiefsHeaven
01-08-2014, 01:30 PM

I'd bet a new owner would retain the staff, unless he wants to turn it in to a big Rent-A-Center or some shit.

Stanley Nickels
01-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Nailed it.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
01-08-2014, 01:57 PM
This 19 y/o must be pretty hot

Jakemall
01-08-2014, 02:03 PM
This 19 y/o must be pretty hot

There's a pic on the link.

FRCDFED
01-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Yep, could be 1 year or could benign, but they'll eventually bring in their own people. I see what you did there! :thumb:

I don't see how a man who owns a restaurant valued at $2 million and is willing to donate up to $1 million of that value to help someone else can be considered anything but a saint.

Bless them all and god speed for a quick profitable sale and successful surgery.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
01-08-2014, 02:10 PM
There's a pic on the link.

Hmmm. Yeah, he was fucking her

cosmo20002
01-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Seems like it would make a lot of sense for him to just buy her a health insurance policy if she can't afford it, which she can now get even with her precondition.