PDA

View Full Version : Pictures How Cold Is Chicago?

gblowfish
01-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Cold.
Damn Cold.
Really Damn Cold.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/07/frozen-chicago-photos_n_4556767.html

loochy
01-08-2014, 12:54 PM
its not as cold as the D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aktLRiWXfqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish
01-08-2014, 12:59 PM
I heard it was so cold, they even had to take a break from running around killing each other.

Bearcat
01-08-2014, 01:01 PM
http://catchingyourbreath.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/lakeshoredrive.jpg

Fairplay
01-08-2014, 01:02 PM
This is Global warming

Discuss Thrower
01-08-2014, 01:09 PM
This is Global warming

Source: 2014 North American Cold Wave (Wikipedia)
Prior to the events of January 2014, several studies on the connection between extreme weather and the polar vortex were published suggesting a link between climate change and increasingly extreme temperatures experienced by mid-latitudes (e.g., central North America).This phenomenon can be understood to result from the rapid melting of polar sea ice, which replaces white, reflective ice with dark, absorbent open water (i.e., the albedo of this region has decreased). As a result, the region has heated up faster than other parts of the globe. With the lack of a sufficient temperature difference between Arctic and southern regions to drive jet stream winds, the jet stream may have become weaker and more variable in its course, allowing cold air usually confined to the poles to reach further into the mid latitudes.

BWillie
01-08-2014, 01:09 PM

Wat is that real

Bearcat
01-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Wat is that real

Yes.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/02/01/officials-shut-down-lake-shore-drive/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV3Bcngnv3M

BryanBusby
01-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Wat is that real

ya its real bro

Dartgod
01-08-2014, 01:17 PM

This picture is from a couple of years ago or so, I believe.

Dartgod
01-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Yep, the URL of the photo indicates it's from 2011

HemiEd
01-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Yep, the URL of the photo indicates it's from 2011

Yeah, that was the snow that was the last straw for me, and that spring we bought a place to retire at Tablerock. It had snowed so much, I had to hire help to clear my drive, it was just too much and overwhelming.

Now, this being our last winter, it is giving us the coldest winter in my 18 years here. Fuck you Chicago weather!

June is pretty nice though.

Dartgod
01-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Yeah, that was the snow that was the last straw for me, and that spring we bought a place to retire at Tablerock. It had snowed so much, I had to hire help to clear my drive, it was just too much and overwhelming.

Now, this being our last winter, it is giving us the coldest winter in my 18 years here. **** you Chicago weather!

So you're retiring soon? Congrat's!

RealSNR
01-08-2014, 02:30 PM
It's colder where I live /everybody

DMAC
01-08-2014, 02:34 PM
You can walk into any city in any state and find colder weather.

HemiEd
01-08-2014, 02:37 PM
So you're retiring soon? Congrat's!

Thanks Dart, this spring as soon as we find another sucker that wants to pay these property taxes!

HemiEd
01-08-2014, 02:44 PM

Looking up your weather on weather.com is a regular source of motivation for me and a shot to my moral.

HemiEd
01-08-2014, 02:55 PM
It's colder where I live /everybody

The thread title is about Chicago/gblowfish

Eleazar
01-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Has this slowed the murder rate at all?

Buehler445
01-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Yeah. Fuck Chicago.

Bowser
01-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Thanks Dart, this spring as soon as we find another sucker that wants to pay these property taxes!

Not a real good salesman, I see. :D

Congrats on the imminent retirement!

Beef Supreme
01-08-2014, 03:00 PM

Meh, you could walk into any guitar center and see weather colder than that.

Buehler445
01-08-2014, 03:03 PM

:rockon: Hell yeah!

Enjoy your retirement!

mikey23545
01-08-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Prior to the events of January 2014, several studies on the connection between extreme weather and the polar vortex were published suggesting a link between climate change and increasingly extreme temperatures experienced by mid-latitudes (e.g., central North America).This phenomenon can be understood to result from the rapid melting of polar sea ice, which replaces white, reflective ice with dark, absorbent open water (i.e., the albedo of this region has decreased). As a result, the region has heated up faster than other parts of the globe. With the lack of a sufficient temperature difference between Arctic and southern regions to drive jet stream winds, the jet stream may have become weaker and more variable in its course, allowing cold air usually confined to the poles to reach further into the mid latitudes.

LMAO

Climatologists, after applying the fudge factor, have found that global warming will generate extremely cold temperatures over the entire planet, except for when it's hot.

LMAO

HemiEd
01-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Has this slowed the murder rate at all?

Just as soon as they get these new gun laws passed it will stop all together, surely!

I heard something about a new one on the news last night. :banghead:

listopencil
01-08-2014, 03:15 PM
The Great Lakes region:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19bu7j4j8cf95jpg/original.jpg

listopencil
01-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Lake Michigan. In the Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19bv0rdpoeomkjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Eleazar
Just as soon as they get these new gun laws passed it will stop all together, surely!

I heard something about a new one on the news last night. :banghead:

You know, if you stab a man in the dead of winter, steam will rise up from the wound. Indians believed it was his soul escaping from his body.

seaofred

Now, this being our last winter, it is giving us the coldest winter in my 18 years here. Fuck you Chicago weather!

Where on Tablerock? As long as you don't live by Branson, you'll love it.

HemiEd
The Great Lakes region:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19bu7j4j8cf95jpg/original.jpg

My house is right there by that one white speck.

You know, if you stab a man in the dead of winter, steam will rise up from the wound. Indians believed it was his soul escaping from his body.
Oh crap, that is not a very pleasant visual.

listopencil
01-08-2014, 03:18 PM
My uncle was supposed to go to a conference in Quebec. He got as far as Chicago and had to go back home, they told him that were was no way to get there for a few days and the flights were cancelled.

wheeler08
01-08-2014, 03:19 PM
They said on Fox news yesterday that it was so cold in Chicago at Lincoln Park Zoo that the polar bear wouldn't go outside....true story, not being smartass...

listopencil
My house is right there by that one white speck.

Oh crap, that is not a very pleasant visual.

Nice place you have there. Central heating?

HemiEd
Where on Tablerock? As long as you don't live by Branson, you'll love it.

We are about a 1/4 mile across the water from Cape Fair Marina, just off of the Y. Our closest town is Branson West and it has a big Wal-Mart and a great Mexican food eatery so we are good to go. :D

HemiEd
01-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Nice place you have there. Central heating?

Of course, and it hasn't kicked off for four days now. :D

seaofred
01-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Ah, that's a nice area. You'll be about 20 minutes from Branson West. There is some good fishing in that area. I'm only about 40 minutes from there.

Dave Lane
01-08-2014, 03:34 PM
I heard it was so cold, they even had to take a break from running around killing each other.

Frazod had to reload?

Fish
01-08-2014, 04:21 PM
LMAO

Climatologists, after applying the fudge factor, have found that global warming will generate extremely cold temperatures over the entire planet, except for when it's hot.

LMAO

Actually, these kinds of extreme weather situations were indeed predicted before this year's polar vortex. Even though the US just experienced a massive cold spell, globally December 2013 is still the second hottest December in 34 years, and 2013 was one of the top 10 hottest years since 1850.

1. Statements about climate trends must be based on, er, trends. Not individual events or occurrences. Weather is not climate, and anecdotes are not statistics.

2. Global warming is actually expected to increase “heavy precipitation in winter storms,” and for the Northern Hemisphere, there is evidence that these storms are already more frequent and intense, according to the draft U.S. National Climate Assessment.

3. Antarctica is a very cold place. But global warming is affecting it as predicted: Antarctica is losing ice overall, according to the latest report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. However, sea ice is a different matter than land-based or glacial ice. Antarctic sea ice is increasing, and moreover, the reason for this may be climate change! (For more, read here (http://www.skepticalscience.com/antarctica-gaining-ice-intermediate.htm).)
Brad Plumer added that temperatures in the United States do not necessarily reflect temperatures on the entire planet. While many Americans had to bundle up in December 2013, preliminary data suggests last month “was tied for the 2nd-hottest December on record since 1979, the beginning of satellite measurements,” and global average temperatures for all of 2013 “are expected to be among the 10 highest since 1850.”

Bearcat
01-08-2014, 05:42 PM
It's hilarious how people constantly make global warming jokes because the oceans aren't boiling by now or because it's still cold in the winter. Science is hard.

GordonGekko
01-08-2014, 05:44 PM
I wonder how this Chicago cold is going to affect Michael Jordan's house's value? It's already come down about 50% from it's initial asking price.

GordonGekko
01-08-2014, 05:46 PM
It's hilarious how people constantly make global warming jokes because the oceans aren't boiling by now or because it's still cold in the winter. Science is hard.

What's incredible is that the Earth used to warmer, a lot warmer. Like, palm trees growing at Alaska latitude warmer. A dense forest used to cover Antarctica.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2014, 05:47 PM

<embed style="display:block" src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:thedailyshow.com:431844" width="288" height="247" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" allowFullscreen="true" flashvars="autoPlay=false" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" bgcolor="#000000"></embed>

<embed style="display:block" src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:thedailyshow.com:431845" width="288" height="247" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" allowFullscreen="true" flashvars="autoPlay=false" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" bgcolor="#000000"></embed>

ThaVirus
01-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Was almost 70 here today, suckaaaas!

Rausch
01-08-2014, 06:31 PM

Without getting political I think science likes to jump the gun at the first new discovery.

We've gone through God only knows how many periods of ice ages and then re-warming. None of the previous changes were caused by man.

To assume that changes today have to be caused by man, just because we're here to notice them, is a bit egotistical...

Dartgod
01-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Without getting political I think science likes to jump the gun at the first new discovery.

We've gone through God only knows how many periods of ice ages and then re-warming. None of the previous changes were caused by man.

To assume that changes today have to be caused by man, just because we're here to notice them, is a bit egotistical...

This. Hell yes, this.

Psyko Tek
01-08-2014, 10:48 PM
how cold is it?

I give two fucks less....

but in july I will whine about how hot it is in AZ

Mav
01-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Cold.
Damn Cold.
Really Damn Cold.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/07/frozen-chicago-photos_n_4556767.html

2 nights ago here I had to run to the store. It was -20 with the wind chill was. -55.

Cannibal
01-08-2014, 11:12 PM
Fatzod is freezing his little raisins off.

listopencil
01-08-2014, 11:48 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19bykpx6c4keigif/ku-xlarge.gif

frozenchief
01-09-2014, 12:01 AM
Spend a few weeks at -30. Then you will see the benefit of real fur. Nothing keeps you warn like real fur.

Mav
01-09-2014, 12:04 AM
Spend a few weeks at -30. Then you will see the benefit of real fur. Nothing keeps you warn like real fur.

I concede you have won this game of who has the bigger balls.

I have spent days searching cars, streets and villages in full battle, with the temp being 135+.

I would take that over ANY DAY like the other night.

FUCK THAT SHIT.

frozenchief
01-09-2014, 12:11 AM
I concede you have won this game of who has the bigger balls.

I have spent days searching cars, streets and villages in full battle, with the temp being 135+.

I would take that over ANY DAY like the other night.

**** THAT SHIT.

I'll take the cold. We have well insulated houses. We have good clothing. And you get used to cold temperatures. I find I can always get warm, but I cannot always get cool. Besides that, cold weather clothing covers up some people that should be covered. Really hot weather uncovers people who should be covered. What you all are going through is a typical winter for us between November and March.

My point, though, was more about fur. There are people who protest fur saying there is no need for it. And I would suggest that if the polar vortex lasted a couple of weeks, I think the current zeitgeist about fur would be changed.

Mav
01-09-2014, 02:31 AM
I'll take the cold. We have well insulated houses. We have good clothing. And you get used to cold temperatures. I find I can always get warm, but I cannot always get cool. Besides that, cold weather clothing covers up some people that should be covered. Really hot weather uncovers people who should be covered. What you all are going through is a typical winter for us between November and March.

My point, though, was more about fur. There are people who protest fur saying there is no need for it. And I would suggest that if the polar vortex lasted a couple of weeks, I think the current zeitgeist about fur would be changed.

I don't wear fur. Not because I protest it. In general I dont need it. I dint be grudge any one.

FlaChief58
01-09-2014, 03:51 AM
Was almost 70 here today, suckaaaas!

This

TimeForWasp
01-09-2014, 04:27 AM
Frazod had to reload?

Are you Freezeod?

AussieChiefsFan
01-09-2014, 04:38 AM
ThisThe sky was grey today. I think they call it "overcast" but I'm still skeptical it's even a thing.

whoman69
01-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Its colder than a mother in law's heart.