PDA

View Full Version : Life HELP! Grilling Buffalo Meat?

Amnorix
01-13-2014, 03:49 PM
A friend of mine is getting a bunch of buffalo meat for free (no clue how or why), and I'm going to be grilling it up for a get-together this Saturday. I'm not bad on the grill, but hardly the master some are here. Typically I either buy a pre-made marinade in a bottle from the store, or mix one myself from some recipes I have, and then I grill it up, but I'm only familiar with regular beef, not buffalo.

So I'm open to any and all thoughts and suggestions, but at the very least:

1. can I use a "regular" beef marinade for buffalo, or is the flavor so different I should do something different. I've never even tried eating buffalo meat (it's not common around here to say the least), so I'm completely clueless.

2. any tips on how to grill it, if significantly different from grilling regular beef. I know he's getting steak tips, steaks and sausages, but I'm not sure what, exactly, I'll be grilling. Probably at least tips and sausages.

FlaChief58
01-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Salt, pepper, garlic powder & fire

mikeyis4dcats.
01-13-2014, 04:00 PM
be careful, it is much leaner than beef, and will be less forgiving. I'd suggest if possible having it left as a roast and then cutting steaks from it rather than grilling as steaks.

jiveturkey
01-13-2014, 04:02 PM
be careful, it is much leaner than beef, and will be less forgiving. I'd suggest if possible having it left as a roast and then cutting steaks from it rather than grilling as steaks.

What he said.

Fish
01-13-2014, 04:03 PM
My stepmom's family raises buffalo for meat. It's super lean, so any cooking will have to take that in consideration. Cook it low temp. Don't cook it past med. rare. Overcooking will dry it out and taste nasty. Do everything you can to keep it moist.

You can use whatever you normally use for beef to marinate/season.

For grilling, my old man usually cooks it like a steak. Sears both sides for a minute or two, then cooks low till the center is med rare.

I'd really recommend cooking some for yourself before trying to serve others. It's hard to gauge how done it is, because it doesn't really change color and consistency like beef steak does. Just try to experiment first.

Donger
01-13-2014, 04:03 PM
A friend of mine is getting a bunch of buffalo meat for free (no clue how or why), and I'm going to be grilling it up for a get-together this Saturday. I'm not bad on the grill, but hardly the master some are here. Typically I either buy a pre-made marinade in a bottle from the store, or mix one myself from some recipes I have, and then I grill it up, but I'm only familiar with regular beef, not buffalo.

So I'm open to any and all thoughts and suggestions, but at the very least:

1. can I use a "regular" beef marinade for buffalo, or is the flavor so different I should do something different. I've never even tried eating buffalo meat (it's not common around here to say the least), so I'm completely clueless.

2. any tips on how to grill it, if significantly different from grilling regular beef. I know he's getting steak tips, steaks and sausages, but I'm not sure what, exactly, I'll be grilling. Probably at least tips and sausages.

Unless you like rare, don't. It's too lean. Roast it in the oven

FlaChief58
01-13-2014, 04:05 PM
For grilling, my old man usually cooks it like a steak. Sears both sides for a minute or two, then cooks low till the center is med rare.

This

cosmo20002
01-13-2014, 04:05 PM

This sounds very suspicious, that's all I'm saying.

CrazyPhuD
01-13-2014, 04:06 PM
#1 tip...when grilling your meat never forget the swiss cheese!

sedated
01-13-2014, 04:06 PM
I don’t have a ton of experience with buffalo meat, but I know has drastically less fat. It won’t shrink when you cook it, and if you are doing anything involving grinding (making sausage/burgers), you will want to add some fat or they will turn out dry. For this reason, while I would never marinate beef steaks, I would marinate buffalo steaks using an oil-based marinade. The steaks will cook fast and you will have to be very careful to not dry them out.

I think the most common uses are low-temp stews/roasts that will keep the meat moist or burgers where another form of fat can be incorporated. I would imagine steaks are a risky proposition.

Dayze
01-13-2014, 04:07 PM
brine it, then roast.

Amnorix
01-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Unless you like rare, don't. It's too lean. Roast it in the oven

brine it, then roast.

I'm a seat-of-my-pants griller, and not the best. I'm also no fan of rare meats. Roasting seems like a potentially better option as I can do that in the oven, and have precise temperature/time controls.

How long and what temp?

Found a marinade online:

• 4 buffalo steaks
• 3/4 cup red wine
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon onion powder

I'll need to adjust the amount (as I may be doing tips instead of steaks, not sure yet), but that recipe sound decent? It's at least easy (which is a huge plus in my book).

Amnorix
01-13-2014, 04:11 PM

This particular buddy is quirky. I'm pretty much operating on the principle that if I ask no questions he will tell me no lies...

Dayze
01-13-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm a fan of interesting ingredients in a marinade or brine; that sounds good to me (the red wine).

Donger
01-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Wait. Why are we giving amino good advice?

Bwana
01-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Unless you got it from Africa it's bison. It going to be a lot leaner than beef
So go light on the heat.

Bwana
01-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Side note posting with a phone is a pain in the ass.

Dayze
01-13-2014, 04:19 PM
I'd go low and slow, and remove when it feels like medium rare, maybe even slightly before. let it rest for a good 15 minutes minimum. It'll cook a little more as well while sitting there.

bevischief
01-13-2014, 04:20 PM
Go join this site http://thesmokering.com/forum/index.php.

Dayze

LMAO

Donger
Unless you got it from Africa it's bison. It going to be a lot leaner than beef
So go light on the heat.

That's correct. My son goes nuts when people visit and go, "oh look! Buffalo!"

Donger
01-13-2014, 04:21 PM

I just called Amno amino... LMAO

Just Passin' By
01-13-2014, 04:22 PM
I just called Amno amino... LMAO

You have an acid tongue.

Chaunceythe3rd
01-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Salt and pepper, sear over high heat for a couple of minutes per side then remove from grill when meat thermometer registers 135. Let it rest for 10 minutes, spoon some lemon butter on top and enjoy.

Fire Me Boy!
01-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Add fat any way you can.

allen_kcCard
01-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Inject with antifreeze, eat raw, win.

Dante84
01-13-2014, 05:08 PM
If its a roast, smoke that shit.

Gonzo
01-13-2014, 05:11 PM
It's a bitch if you don't really watch it. It'll dry out and get tough as jerky.
Marinate in a teriyaki maybe? At any rate, cook low and slow.

Fire Me Boy!
01-13-2014, 05:12 PM
It's a bitch if you don't really watch it. It'll dry out and get tough as jerky.
Marinate in a teriyaki maybe? At any rate, cook low and slow.

Or just make jerky. I'll bet it makes great jerky.

Saul Good
01-13-2014, 05:16 PM

It's like a scene from My Blue Heaven.

Fire Me Boy!
01-13-2014, 05:17 PM
It's like a scene from My Blue Heaven.

Would you like to try a vanilla bran oat crunchie?

Earthling
01-13-2014, 05:20 PM
There used to be a Bison Burger joint about 100 miles from my town and I stopped and got one every time I passed through. I've never had it any other way. Mighty tasty...

Moon§hiner
01-13-2014, 05:57 PM
I did Buffalo T-bones for Thanksgiving a couple years back. Used A-1 garlic rub, seared on grill, put on low and moved to non burner side for 10 minutes and other than the price, best t-bone I have had.

Just Passin' By
01-13-2014, 06:03 PM
This is an excellent time to practice your skills with using only half the grill. Fire that grill up full blast, turn off half the burners, move the steaks over the shut down burners, complete the cooking on the unlit side.

Don't overcook.

Moon§hiner
01-13-2014, 06:17 PM
This is an excellent time to practice your skills with using only half the grill. Fire that grill up full blast, turn off half the burners, move the steaks over the shut down burners, complete the cooking on the unlit side.

Don't overcook.

That's the way I do ribs on the grill. I have a wide 3 burner and keep the ribs on the 2 non burning side. Cook for around 5 hrs and falling off the bone tasty. I loathe going to a friends house and seeing a squirt bottle by the grill to keep the chicken from burning.