PDA

View Full Version : Life Texting in the theater in Florida? I don't think so...

Pages : [1] 2

Al Bundy
01-13-2014, 05:40 PM
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/24435641/2014/01/13/shots-fired-at-wesley-chapel-movie-theater

WESLEY CHAPEL (FOX 13) -

A moviegoer lost his life inside a Pasco County theater Monday afternoon after a dispute over texting with a retired police officer.

According to the sheriff's office, the dispute happened before the 1:20 showing of 'Lone Survivor' had even gotten underway at the Cobb CineBistro at Grove 16 complex on Wesley Grove Blvd.

Investigators say two couples had gotten into an argument over noise.

"The victim was on his cell phone; he was texting. We believe he was making some kind of noise. This noise led to an altercation between the suspect and the victim," Sheriff Chris Nocco explained.

A witness recalled seeing the agitated man -- later identified by deputies as Curtis Reeves -- get up and leave in an apparent attempt to find a manager. When he came back alone, the argument escalated.

Charles Cummings told FOX 13 he heard the victim say he was texting his 3-year-old daughter before Reeves pulled out a pistol.

"Their voices start going up, there seems to be a confrontation, somebody throws popcorn, then bang, he was shot," said Cummings, who was there to celebrate his birthday. "I heard the victim say, 'I can't believe...,' then he fell on us."

"I asked if the guy was OK, and he started gurgling blood and then fell," recalled Cummings' son, who said he ran to call 911.

Both the man, identified by deputies as Chad Oulson, and his wife Nicole were struck by the single shot. Oulson, 43, was hit in the chest and died, while Nicole was hit in the hand when she put her hand up in front of her husband. She suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

An off-duty Sumter County deputy inside the theater was able to grab the gun and detain Reeves until deputies arrived, the sheriff added.

Reeves, a 71-year-old retired Tampa police officer, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder. A 2005 Tampa Bay Times article also described him as a former director of security for Busch Gardens.

Moments after he was named as the suspect, Tampa police issued a statement saying Reeves had retired back in 1993 as a captain.

"He was instrumental in establishing the department's first Tactical Response Team," the statement explained. "We are not aware of any contact with the department since his departure more than 20 years ago."

Nocco said his detectives considered if this could be a 'stand your ground' case but decided the criteria did not apply.

"It's absolutely crazy it would rise to this level over somebody just texting in a movie theater," he offered.

"I can't believe people would bring a gun to a movie," added Cummings, a Marine who served in Vietnam. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn or even a cell phone."

Read more: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/24435641/2014/01/13/shots-fired-at-wesley-chapel-movie-theater#ixzz2qKGDJNuj
Follow us: @myfoxtampabay on Twitter | FOX13TampaBay on Facebook

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
01-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Retired cop on a power trip. I'm shocked

Easy 6
01-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Texting his three year old? Bullshit.

Doesnt excuse cold blooded murder obviously, the old man pretty much guaranteed he'll die in prison... an old and helpless, retired cop... in prison... justice is served.

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Bat shit crazy old fuck power trip. I'm shocked

FYP

MTG#10
01-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Serves him right. Fuck movie theater texters.

Brock
01-13-2014, 06:28 PM
I don't see the problem.

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Serves him right. **** movie theater texters.

LMAO I don't disagree except if it was before the movie even started - who cares? I think the old man just lost all common sense

Trevo_410
well.. that leaves one less of those motherfuckers watching the same movie as I am, while texting. Seriously take care of your business before or after you dumbass cunts. I hope that lady gets her hand amputated so it makes 2!

:#:#

Superbowltrashcan
I wonder if anyone got free tickets to a later showing? Bet nobody went in that dude's yard....

Contrarian
01-13-2014, 06:33 PM
I don't either.

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 06:37 PM
"I can't believe people would bring a gun to a movie," added Cummings, a Marine who served in Vietnam.

BTW have you been living under a rock? Who doesn't go armed to a movie theater anymore (if you legally can)?

Saulbadguy
01-13-2014, 06:39 PM
BTW have you been living under a rock? Who doesn't go armed to a movie theater anymore (if you legally can)?

Sane people.

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Sane people.

Some estimates say that two million Americans are victims of violent crimes every year, a tragic, staggering number, perhaps an all-time record rate of violent crime. But there are almost 300 million Americans, which means that the odds of being a victim of violent crime is considerably less than one in a hundred on any given year. Furthermore, since many violent crimes are committed by repeat offenders, the actual number of violent citizens is considerably less than two million.

Thus there is a paradox, and we must grasp both ends of the situation: We may well be in the most violent times in history, but violence is still remarkably rare. This is because most citizens are kind, decent people who are not capable of hurting each other, except by accident or under extreme provocation. They are sheep.

I mean nothing negative by calling them sheep. To me it is like the pretty, blue robin’s egg. Inside it is soft and gooey but someday it will grow into something wonderful. But the egg cannot survive without its hard blue shell. Police officers, soldiers and other warriors are like that shell, and someday the civilization they protect will grow into something wonderful. For now, though, they need warriors to protect them from the predators.

“Then there are the wolves,” the old war veteran said, “and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy.” Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

“Then there are sheepdogs,” he went on, “and I’m a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.” Or, as a sign in one California law enforcement agency put it, “We intimidate those who intimidate others.”

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen: a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath--a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? Then you are a sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero’s path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

I am a sheepdog and I suspect a vast majority of those who are able to carry a firearm legally (such as CCW holders are as well sheepdogs)

GloryDayz
01-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Did they drag-out the carcass and let the others get back to the movie? That's really all that matters here!

Movie texter/loud guy being dead = good.

Over zealous ex-cop in jail = good.

Rest of the group gets to see the rest of the movie about killing and mayhem in peace - REALLY GOOD.

GloucesterChief
01-13-2014, 07:12 PM
I am a sheepdog and I suspect a vast majority of those who are able to carry a firearm legally (such as CCW holders are as well sheepdogs)

DenverChief, I am not sure you know this but the slogan that officer says is on a sign in a California law enforcement agency was actually the slogan of the Rampart CRASH unit of the LAPD.

Not exactly the people you want to emulate when it comes to policing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampart_scandal)

A Salt Weapon
01-13-2014, 07:22 PM

I consider myself a hybrid wolf/sheepdog, I don't prey on the sheep but I also don't care about the other sheep outside of my pack/flock.
My carry will never be drawn to protect randoms, it is there for myself and my pack, but there will also be no hesitation to draw/use if my family/pack/flock is involved.

ARROW2
01-13-2014, 07:25 PM
You dirty mofos actually think the old mofo was in the right? Who gives a fuck if someone is texting in a movie. If you are watching the mofo instead of other people, would you even notice? What's the big fucking deal if someone is texting. It could be an emergency for all you know. You all are crazy.......but I am not surprised, I argued with a lot of folks on here about ole Zimmerman......just move to Florida so you can just shoot mofos at random...

ARROW2
01-13-2014, 07:26 PM
LOL at this....

Movie texter/loud guy being dead = good.

seriously dude?

mikey23545
01-13-2014, 07:28 PM
I've never been so proud to be a Floridian...

GloryDayz
01-13-2014, 07:28 PM
You dirty mofos actually think the old mofo was in the right? Who gives a fuck if someone is texting in a movie. If you are watching the mofo instead of other people, would you even notice? What's the big fucking deal if someone is texting. It could be an emergency for all you know. You all are crazy.......but I am not surprised, I argued with a lot of folks on here about ole Zimmerman......just move to Florida so you can just shoot mofos at random...

And emergency that he can't leave the theater for? LOL... Shoot the motherfucker and he DOES have an emergency! Wait, the doode did shoot him!

All's well that ends well I say....

BlackHelicopters
01-13-2014, 07:31 PM
Florida? No way.

A Salt Weapon
01-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Just to make it clear, I have no sympathy for the ex-cop. I believe he should be charged with murder and receive the death sentence. I feel bad for the texter and his family, I wish the deceased texter would have shot the ex-cop as soon as he pulled his firearm.

HemiEd
01-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Serves him right. **** movie theater texters.

Exactly, there are laws about that shit, right?

Jimmya
01-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Before one gets in a screaming match they better understand that this person may be crazy. Both got what they deserved.

ARROW2
01-13-2014, 07:55 PM
I just don't see how a texter would disturb me at a movie...I guess some people need to get laid or go to a strip club or something.....Or go to Colorado......LOL!!

Al Bundy
01-13-2014, 08:04 PM
I just don't see how a texter would disturb me at a movie...I guess some people need to get laid or go to a strip club or something.....Or go to Colorado......LOL!!

Texting can be annoying as fuck, especially if the idiot is laughing and doesn't have it on silent.

ThaVirus
01-13-2014, 08:05 PM
You dirty mofos actually think the old mofo was in the right? Who gives a **** if someone is texting in a movie. If you are watching the mofo instead of other people, would you even notice? What's the big ****ing deal if someone is texting. It could be an emergency for all you know. You all are crazy.......but I am not surprised, I argued with a lot of folks on here about ole Zimmerman......just move to Florida so you can just shoot mofos at random...

LMAO You're black. You're not allowed to comment on who/what is annoying in movie theaters.

Al Bundy
01-13-2014, 08:06 PM
LMAO You're black. You're not allowed to comment on who/what is annoying in movie theaters.

Quote of the year. #UCF for the win!

ThaVirus
01-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Hashtag ChargeOn, bitches!

Prison Bitch
01-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Hopefully the trial will be short and inexpensive, and this perp gets a quick bullett through the brain.

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 08:11 PM
DenverChief, I am not sure you know this but the slogan that officer says is on a sign in a California law enforcement agency was actually the slogan of the Rampart CRASH unit of the LAPD.

Not exactly the people you want to emulate when it comes to policing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampart_scandal)

"Google" Colonel David Grossman

Chief Pote
01-13-2014, 08:11 PM
You guys think you're funny and it's not. Oh never mind, some of you can't be saved from your badass selves.

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Hopefully the trial will be short and inexpensive, and this perp gets a quick bullett through the brain.

:spock: you type mullett too much?

Valiant
01-13-2014, 08:16 PM
god bless america

edit, it is a movie basically about this.

Valiant
01-13-2014, 08:17 PM
You guys think you're funny and it's not. Oh never mind, some of you can't be saved from your badass selves.

The statement is humorous with your name.

unothadeal
01-13-2014, 08:27 PM
"I can't believe people would bring a gun to a movie," added Cummings, a Marine who served in Vietnam.

C'mon. You can't think of one reason why someone might want a gun in a movie theater these days?

GloucesterChief
01-13-2014, 08:28 PM
"Google" Colonel David Grossman

I don't care who he is. Anybody who thinks that quoting one of the most corrupt and violent police organizations in the United States makes him sound incredibly out of touch.

Also, his little thing about being the most violent time in society ever is absolutely wrong. Violent crime is actually damn near the lowest in a century.

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 08:31 PM
I don't care who he is.

Ignorance is bliss

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 08:31 PM
C'mon. You can't think of one reason why someone might want a gun in a movie theater these days?

Careful, you might not be sane if you do

loochy
01-13-2014, 08:32 PM

You say mofo a lot.

Chief Pote
01-13-2014, 08:33 PM
The statement is humorous with your name.

HEY, it was mod abuse damn it.

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 08:37 PM

By your argument the Boston Diocese discredits the entire Catholic religion - just because one subset of morons make an ass of themselves doesn't change the basic premise of the church/law enforcement. /rant

GloucesterChief
01-13-2014, 08:48 PM
By your argument the Boston Diocese discredits the entire Catholic religion - just because one subset of morons make an ass of themselves doesn't change the basic premise of the church/law enforcement. /rant

Except he used the exact slogan of that unit to support his argument and puff up his chest. A unit that murdered, framed people, stole evidence, and that beat suspects as a matter of policy. A unit that handed out awards for officers shooting people.

If Mr. Grossman wants to glorify that as his sheepdogs, we don't need him or his ilk.

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Except he used the exact slogan of that unit to support his argument and puff up his chest. A unit that murdered, framed people, stole evidence, and that beat suspects as a matter of policy. A unit that handed out awards for officers shooting people.

If Mr. Grossman wants to glorify that as his sheepdogs, we don't need him or his ilk.

And the child molesters of the Catholic church had a sign hanging on their desk that said "love thy neighbor"

GTFO

GloucesterChief
01-13-2014, 08:55 PM
And the child molesters of the Catholic church had a sign hanging on their desk that said "love thy neighbor"

GTFO

Except those Catholics were not the people most people think of when they hear "love thy neighbor", the slogan "we intimidate those who intimidate others" is tied with brutality, murder, and corruption of the LAPDs CRASH division.

So you have two choices to defend your man. Either he is too stupid to actually research what slogan he is using in his article or he thinks that the police acting just as bad or worse then the criminals they are supposed to deal with is okay.

Which is it?

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Except those Catholics were not the people most people think of when they hear "love thy neighbor", the slogan "we intimidate those who intimidate others" is tied with brutality, murder, and corruption of the LAPDs CRASH division.

So you have two choices to defend your man. Either he is too stupid to actually research what slogan he is using in his article or he thinks that the police acting just as bad or worse then the criminals they are supposed to deal with is okay.

Which is it?

You have a chip on your shoulder - there is no point in continuing this discussion until you can be more reasonable.

Al Bundy
01-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Hey Denverchief.. what do you think about those cops in Fullerton that beat the life out of that guy?

GloucesterChief
01-13-2014, 09:02 PM
You have a chip on your shoulder - there is no point in continuing this discussion until you can be more reasonable.

No, I just pointed out that the guy you were quoting used the slogan of a notoriously corrupt and thuggish police organization as part of his 'I am a sheepdog' bluster.

You are the one defending him. I just don't like thugs regardless of the fact that they may be wearing a badge.

Dave Lane
01-13-2014, 09:04 PM

Stand your ground. This is Florida you know. I'll bet the perp was wearing a hoodie to boot.

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 09:05 PM
No, I just pointed out that the guy you were quoting used the slogan of a notoriously corrupt and thuggish police organization as part of his 'I am a sheepdog' bluster.

You are the one defending him. I just don't like thugs regardless of the fact that they may be wearing a badge.

And he used it as a part of his speech before the corruption was exposed. The fact they used it as a slogan doesn't change the basic premise of the slogan. The fact that you keep harping on that one finite point means you don't understand the bigger argument - you cannot see the forrest for the trees

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 09:06 PM
Hey Denverchief.. what do you think about those cops in Fullerton that beat the life out of that guy?

I don't know much about it - but on its face it looks pretty bad on their part

MMXcalibur
01-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Hehehe....."Lone Survivor"

GloucesterChief
01-13-2014, 09:13 PM
And he used it as a part of his speech before the corruption was exposed. The fact they used it as a slogan doesn't change the basic premise of the slogan. The fact that you keep harping on that one finite point means you don't understand the bigger argument - you cannot see the forrest for the trees

When was that speech made?

If you are looking for good police work then that slogan is also bad. Police work shouldn't be about intimidation. It should be about protecting the rights of the populace. If you are going for intimidation you are hiring thugs and instilling a thuggish demeanor in your workforce. Shows of force and escalating violence become more important than actual good police work and using the least amount of force possible. Not exactly a great way to get the public on your side.

You wonder why people hate cops? The slogan "we intimidate those who intimidate others" goes a long way to explain it.

GloryDayz
01-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Wow, a fucking useless movie-texter gets off'd now we're here.... LOL!

beach tribe
01-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Looks like he just forgot he was retired.

He is used to being able to make the world around him conform to his will.
Probably not the first innocent person he shot. He just wasnt on the clock this time.

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 09:16 PM

If you are looking for good police work then that slogan is also bad. Police work shouldn't be about intimidation. It should be about protecting the rights of the populace. If you are going for intimidation you are hiring thugs and instilling a thuggish demeanor in your workforce. Shows of force and escalating violence become more important than actual good police work and using the least amount of force possible. Not exactly a great way to get the public on your side.

You wonder why people hate cops? The slogan "we intimidate those who intimidate others" goes a long way to explain it.

:spock: Do you know wheat the first level in the use of force model is?

November 1997 was the speech and Sept 1998 was the first arrest in the Rampart investigation

Brock
01-13-2014, 09:16 PM

We bully the bullies (and everybody else)

beach tribe
01-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Wow, a ****ing useless movie-texter gets off'd now we're here.... LOL!

Yeah. Great reason to kill someone .

You should join the academy bro.

J Diddy
01-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Must have been pretty pissed about the price of popcorn.

Gravedigger
01-13-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm sure more than obscenities were yelled, it sounds like one man threatened another without knowing what the other man had in his pocket. On the other hand you could say that the man shouldn't have gotten so heated over his texting being called out in a movie theater. If he would've just stopped texting and gone back to watching the movie, the crazy trigger happy 71 year old man wouldn't have capped him. This story paints the 71 as the bad guy but I'm sure the dead guy is no angel.

ThaVirus
01-13-2014, 09:36 PM
I'm sure more than obscenities were yelled, it sounds like one man threatened another without knowing what the other man had in his pocket. On the other hand you could say that the man shouldn't have gotten so heated over his texting being called out in a movie theater. If he would've just stopped texting and gone back to watching the movie, the crazy trigger happy 71 year old man wouldn't have capped him. This story paints the 71 as the bad guy but I'm sure the dead guy is no angel.

I'm sure he wasn't, but neither are you or anyone else for that matter. People have confrontations all the time; a minor tiff such as this doesn't really justify a shooting.

If we're to believe the witnesses, someone threw popcorn then the shots rang out. How does someone with a concealed carry license, and a retired police office no less, let the situation escalate to that point?

DenverChief
01-13-2014, 09:39 PM
I'm sure he wasn't, but neither are you or anyone else for that matter. People have confrontations all the time; a minor tiff such as this doesn't really justify a shooting.

If we're to believe the witnesses, someone threw popcorn then the shots rang out. How does someone with a concealed carry license, and a retired police office no less, let the situation escalate to that point?

I think the fact that he was 71 years old played a lot more into the situation than any other factor. Does it excuse it? NO. But how many 71 year olds do you trust with a Drivers License?

notorious
01-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Fry that fuck.

Cannibal
01-13-2014, 09:43 PM
It would be nice if all the residents of Florida would conceal/carry themselves out of existence.

CrazyPhuD
01-13-2014, 09:55 PM
More reason why we need more Alamo Drafthouses in this world. You text you talk you get thrown the fuck out on the first offense.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1L3eeC2lJZs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But the simple reality is we'll probably never know the real story in this case, when it comes time to talk to press/court one thing is certain. The wife is going to lie her ass off and the so will the retired cop.

That said there is one telling bit of information in this story....and that's that the wife got shot in the hand because it was between the husband and the cop.

Now that likely happened one of two ways. Either

A...she was trying to hold back her husband because he was going to or was in the process of physically assaulting the retired cop.

Or

B....she was trying to grab the gun out of the hand of the retired cop.

Considering that B is pretty unusual behavior for most people(i.e. more would flee if it's not directly pointed at them) AND a theater is likely fairly dark and it's going to take longer to both notice a gun and recognize what it is.

It's probably much more likely that A was in the process of happening. Now it shuldn't have ever gotten to the point of a physical altercation much less someone being shot but if you're 71 years old and someone starts trying to beat on you in a place where you can't run or get away what would you do? Any significant blow is likely to cause serious injury or death at 71+.

It should never have gotten to that point especially by someone who was a former cop(who reached a captain's rank) who should be trained in how to defuse the situation.

But if you were in his shoes and you're 71 and someone starts hitting you what would you do? You can't run, do you just stand there and get beaten or hope that someone else is going to step in and stop it. Physically he was likely no match for the other guy. What exactly would you have had the guy do if the other guy started beating him?

ARROW2
01-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Quote of the year. #UCF for the win!

yawn

ARROW2
01-13-2014, 10:01 PM

No, I am cablanaysian......just like Tiger

ARROW2
01-13-2014, 10:03 PM
You say mofo a lot.

Muthafucka........how do you like that?

GloryDayz
01-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Yeah. Great reason to kill someone .

You should join the academy bro.

Lighten up Francis... LOL, the academy!!!

vailpass
01-13-2014, 10:10 PM

Good on ya' DC...

Gravedigger
01-13-2014, 10:14 PM

I'm not defending his actions, I'm just saying maybe the guy said to the retired police officer, "I got a gun and I will not hesitate to shoot you." We don't know everything is my point. The fact is that if this guy would've just stopped texting, he would be alive right now. I'm sure if you could ask him right now he'd say ," I should've just stfu." You don't know what kinds of crazy assholes are out there or who has the ability to kill you in a split second.

ThaVirus
01-13-2014, 10:31 PM
I'm not defending his actions, I'm just saying maybe the guy said to the retired police officer, "I got a gun and I will not hesitate to shoot you." We don't know everything is my point. The fact is that if this guy would've just stopped texting, he would be alive right now. I'm sure if you could ask him right now he'd say ," I should've just stfu." You don't know what kinds of crazy assholes are out there or who has the ability to kill you in a split second.

I agree.

If ever I'm out and about and someone says something slick to me I ignore them if at all possible. You have no idea what any random strange is capable of..

ThaVirus
01-13-2014, 10:33 PM
No, I am cablanaysian......just like Tiger

I was just messing with you, my man. Don't take offense.

BigRedChief
01-13-2014, 10:35 PM
I'm not defending his actions, I'm just saying maybe the guy said to the retired police officer, "I got a gun and I will not hesitate to shoot you." We don't know everything is my point. The fact is that if this guy would've just stopped texting, he would be alive right now. I'm sure if you could ask him right now he'd say ," I should've just stfu." You don't know what kinds of crazy assholes are out there or who has the ability to kill you in a split second.You don't get to kill someone for texting.

Everyone in Florida has a gun. 1,000,000 gun owners have a concealed carry permits. Stand your ground law. It has created a atmosphere that its okay to say.........kill a guy for texting.

J Diddy
01-13-2014, 11:13 PM
You don't get to kill someone for texting.

Everyone in Florida has a gun. 1,000,000 gun owners have a concealed carry permits. Stand your ground law. It has created a atmosphere that its okay to say.........kill a guy for texting.

How do they feel about shooting people who are taller sitting in front of a short person?

If they're gtg I'm moving to Florida to see an unobstructed screen for the first time evah.

Dave Lane
01-13-2014, 11:42 PM
How do they feel about shooting people who are taller sitting in front of a short person?

If they're gtg I'm moving to Florida to see an unobstructed screen for the first time evah.

Dont go see the Hobbit. They have really pretty feet.

Just Passin' By
01-13-2014, 11:59 PM
It would be nice if all the residents of Florida would conceal/carry themselves out of existence.

Go ahead and lead by example.

Just Passin' By
01-14-2014, 12:02 AM

Bad things happen, even in movie theaters, and not just in Florida

http://www.ranker.com/list/most-violent-movie-theater-attacks/joanne

Gravedigger
01-14-2014, 12:59 AM

Stand your ground isn't a factor here, they say it in the article, just as guns don't kill people people kill people you can't blame a law for someone's poor judgement. Crazy people are everywhere, they don't care that you said ,"You don't kill me for texting!" They shoot your ass then go to jail for it, but he shot you for texting and someone on a forum somewhere said ," You don't shoot someone for texting!" You do if you have the ability to and a fucked up head.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-14-2014, 01:13 AM
I think the fact that he was 71 years old played a lot more into the situation than any other factor. Does it excuse it? NO. But how many 71 year olds do you trust with a Drivers License?

Shit, my uncle turned 70 over 3 years ago here with me. I have no doubt that right now, today, he isn't going to shoot anyone over anything. Let's not make it out like 71 is some age where we have to worry about someone going batshit. It's not. He's fucked up. 71, 51, it doesn't matter. Fucked up is fucked up. He's not fucking senile by any means...

01-14-2014, 02:11 AM
You can't fix stupid. You don't shoot somebody for texting. Of course, you don't need to be texting in a movie theater. I would give the texter a pass since it was before the movie started, but during the movie I wish people would respect others and leave the theater if a call or text is so important you can't miss it.

DenverChief
01-14-2014, 04:14 AM
Shit, my uncle turned 70 over 3 years ago here with me. I have no doubt that right now, today, he isn't going to shoot anyone over anything. Let's not make it out like 71 is some age where we have to worry about someone going batshit. It's not. He's ****ed up. 71, 51, it doesn't matter. ****ed up is ****ed up. He's not ****ing senile by any means...

:spock: you don't have to be batshit crazy to be a bad driver or make bad decisions. There is a reason most 70 something people live in a elderly care home

jspchief
01-14-2014, 05:34 AM
An armed society is a polite society. Or something.

J Diddy
01-14-2014, 06:14 AM
You can't fix stupid. You don't shoot somebody for texting. Of course, you don't need to be texting in a movie theater. I would give the texter a pass since it was before the movie started, but during the movie I wish people would respect others and leave the theater if a call or text is so important you can't miss it.

All of this and a bag of chips.

The funny thing about this is that he was so butthurt about a guy texting before the movie out of fear of missing the movie that he started a confrontation that ultimately made him miss the whole movie.

griZZly64
01-14-2014, 06:47 AM

There's tons of reasons to hate cops. Intimidating scumbags who make their living preying on others is not one of them.

ct
01-14-2014, 07:38 AM
before the movie? wtf is somebody getting on anybody's case BEFORE the freaking movie?

Garcia Bronco
01-14-2014, 07:40 AM
This is why I don't go to the theatre anymore.

GloryDayz
01-14-2014, 07:51 AM
This is so sad..

InChiefsHeaven
01-14-2014, 08:04 AM
This is so sad..

This. My dad is 78 years old and this would never happen. Having said that, no sane person does this, so I'd bet the old man's cheese done slipped off his cracker...wonder what HIS wife had to say about it.

ChiliConCarnage
01-14-2014, 08:08 AM
before the movie? wtf is somebody getting on anybody's case BEFORE the freaking movie?

That's the crazy part. This sounds like they were watching the coke commercial for the fourth time and the lights were on and the old crazy bastard got mad. I hate people using their phone in the theater but who turns it off before they at least turn down the lights and start the previews? Even during the previews I'd be hard pressed to be annoyed by someone.

This old man had to have been hopped up on Low T medicine and roids.

InChiefsHeaven
01-14-2014, 08:12 AM
That's the crazy part. This sounds like they were watching the coke commercial for the fourth time and the lights were on and the old crazy bastard got mad. I hate people using their phone in the theater but who turns it off before they at least turn down the lights and start the previews? Even during the previews I'd be hard pressed to be annoyed by someone.

This old man had to have been hopped up on Low T medicine and roids.

Maybe the old man was trying to answer the trivia question but could not concentrate due to the texting...

Radar Chief
01-14-2014, 08:24 AM

Considering this guy is going to go to jail for the rest of his life I’m not sure where you’re getting this “atmosphere” :BS: from.

Eleazar
01-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Considering this guy is going to go to jail for the rest of his life I’m not sure where you’re getting this “atmosphere” :BS: from.

If you're a lib in Florida you have to cry about stand your ground even when it's clearly not a duty-to-retreat situation, it's a requirement.

Earthling
01-14-2014, 08:44 AM
I can almost hear Johnny Cash....

I shot a man in Tampa
Just to watch him die
Now when I see somebody texting
I hang my head and cry...

CosmicPal
01-14-2014, 08:49 AM

Texting is what started the confrontation. I assume it went something like this:
"Hey buddy, you mind not using your phone during the movie."
"Yeah, in a moment bub." Guy doesn't look back and continues to text.
"Hey, I asked you nicely not to use your phone. You're in a theater."
"Buzz off pops."
"Excuse me?"
"You'd hear me if you'd pull your dick out of your ear."

Old man runs off to get the theater manager. Which was the appropriate thing to do. He then returns and the guy is still texting...

"I'm not going to ask you again, stop texting during the show."
Guy stands up enraged, "The movie hasn't start yet f*cktop. Mind your own damn business or I'll hop over this seat and kick your ass..."

Or something like that.

The bottom line is that we have two grown men who both failed to use common sense and be courteous with each other. Had the guy just put his phone away or at the very least, show some iota of courtesy to the old man, then none of this would have happened. It's simply tragedy that could and should have been avoided.

Lastly, who the **** texts a 3 year-old? What 3 year-old has a phone, the language capacity, and know-how to text?

Jimmya
01-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Texting a 3yr old....I call BS.....

Old Dog
01-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Fry that fuck.

There's really no reason to now. The old dude shot him.

stevieray
01-14-2014, 09:15 AM
:spock: you don't have to be batshit crazy to be a bad driver or make bad decisions. There is a reason most 70 something people live in a elderly care home

....you're gonna be 70 something someday and I'l guarandamntee you won't be thinking you should be in a home.

Lzen
01-14-2014, 09:18 AM
If you're a lib in Florida you have to cry about stand your ground even when it's clearly not a duty-to-retreat situation, it's a requirement.

FYP

Lzen
01-14-2014, 09:21 AM
....you're gonna be 70 something someday and I'l guarandamntee you won't be thinking you should be in a home.

Everyone is different. My mom turned 70 last month and she is in pretty good health. If you didn't know, you'd think she is around 60.

tooge
01-14-2014, 09:59 AM
the wife had a hand in it. No free tickets for her.

Jimmya
01-14-2014, 10:03 AM
No hand left!

GloryDayz
01-14-2014, 10:25 AM
There's really no reason to now. The old dude shot him.

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

VAChief
01-14-2014, 11:34 AM

Does it matter? I don't care if he is surfing porn during the previews he has every right to use his device until the movie starts. We don't know what happened in the exchange, but unless the texting father put him in danger that was unavoidable there is no defense. If shooting someone because they are an asshole becomes justifiable...Welcome to Thunderdome.

Dartgod
01-14-2014, 11:44 AM
They should have just sent in the camel.

"Hey, Chad! Chad, Chad, Chad, Chad."

FishingRod
01-14-2014, 11:45 AM
I cannot condone shooting a person for being rude in a Theater, I UNDERSTAND IT,

but can’t condone it.

01-14-2014, 11:56 AM

perhaps the babysitter

kcfanXIII
01-14-2014, 12:00 PM
I would guess the wife was trying to hold her husband back. If the texter threatened the old man, the old man really had no other choice. His choices were shoot or take an ass beating. The problem is, this is all based on my own assumption that the wife being shot in the hand is due to her trying to hold her husband back. I'm trying to wait until we get more info before I pass a judgement.

beach tribe
01-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Lighten up Francis... LOL, the academy!!!

Watch out for Mahoney.

Hes a real prankster.

Carlota69
01-14-2014, 12:04 PM
I had an old guy start some shit with me during the preview-previews. The lights werent even down and my friend and I were chatting about whatever, and he wanted us to not talk at all. I told him he wasnt the boss of me and I could talk if I wanted to. He fought with me for roughly 5 mins, and I didnt back down at all. He ended up dropping it.

No one has the right to tell you what to do just cuz they dont like it. I dont give a shit who the dude was texting, he wasnt texting during the movie, and even if he was, he didnt deserve to die over it.

I realize CP is trying to regain its "burst", but fucking A people....

Dartgod
01-14-2014, 12:05 PM
If the texter threatened the old man, the old man really had no other choice.

Threatened him how? To kick his ass? Not justified. Unless the victim actually produced a weapon of some sort, there is no justification for shooting him.

Gravedigger
01-14-2014, 12:06 PM
The Veteran claimed he was struck by an unknown object, he the pulled out his gun, shot the guy once, then sat back down in his seat and put the gun on his lap. Witnesses claimed no punches were thrown.

BigRichard
01-14-2014, 12:08 PM
One hundred and twelve posts and not one "Ban cell phones!" post. You guys are slackings.

Ban cell phones!

GloryDayz
01-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Watch out for Mahoney.

Hes a real prankster.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8szuknTjjbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
01-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Other patrons later lauded Lone Survivor as the most realistic war movie ever.

Easy 6
01-14-2014, 12:23 PM
This is why I don't go to the theatre anymore.

I try to stick to weekday matinee's, sooo much more enjoyable than being packed in there like a sardine with a bunch morons.

Radar Chief
01-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Other patrons later lauded Lone Survivor as the most realistic war movie ever.

Commenting that they didn't realize it is in 3D.

kcfanXIII
01-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Threatened him how? To kick his ass? Not justified. Unless the victim actually produced a weapon of some sort, there is no justification for shooting him.

at 70 if the texter was threatening him physically, it might as well been a threat on his life. A theater is full of stairs. An old person isn't guaranteed to survive a tumble down stairs. There is also the possibility that his body couldn't have recovered from a physical assault. He has no responsibility to sit there and accept an ass beating. People have a right to defend themselves. I would also like to stress that I am only arguing under the assumption the texter was the aggressor. I do not feel enough information has been released to come to a conclusion as to who was at fault.

Fish
01-14-2014, 12:33 PM
I would guess the wife was trying to hold her husband back. If the texter threatened the old man, the old man really had no other choice. His choices were shoot or take an ass beating. The problem is, this is all based on my own assumption that the wife being shot in the hand is due to her trying to hold her husband back. I'm trying to wait until we get more info before I pass a judgement.

You'd really rather kill someone than take a few punches?

Brock
01-14-2014, 12:35 PM
at 70 if the texter was threatening him physically, it might as well been a threat on his life. A theater is full of stairs. An old person isn't guaranteed to survive a tumble down stairs. There is also the possibility that his body couldn't have recovered from a physical assault. He has no responsibility to sit there and accept an ass beating. People have a right to defend themselves. I would also like to stress that I am only arguing under the assumption the texter was the aggressor. I do not feel enough information has been released to come to a conclusion as to who was at fault.

Jesus christ people will attempt to justify anything.

Fish
01-14-2014, 12:36 PM

Or.... you know... an asteroid could have landed on the theater and killed him. Therefore, shoot somebody in the throat...

:facepalm:

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2014, 12:37 PM
I had an old guy start some shit with me during the preview-previews. The lights werent even down and my friend and I were chatting about whatever, and he wanted us to not talk at all. I told him he wasnt the boss of me and I could talk if I wanted to. He fought with me for roughly 5 mins, and I didnt back down at all. He ended up dropping it.

No one has the right to tell you what to do just cuz they dont like it. I dont give a shit who the dude was texting, he wasnt texting during the movie, and even if he was, he didnt deserve to die over it.

I realize CP is trying to regain its "burst", but ****ing A people....

if it's just previews sure, but you chatty chicks gotta dial it in once the move starts...

kcfanXIII
01-14-2014, 12:38 PM
you guys are right. he should have just let the guy beat his ass. what the hell was I thinking...

Carlota69
01-14-2014, 12:38 PM
if it's just previews sure, but you chatty chicks gotta dial it in once the move starts...

We werent even talking during the previews, we were talking during the still pictures and fucking stupid movie trivia shit. I kind of made that clear in my post.

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2014, 12:40 PM
We werent even talking during the previews, we were talking during the still pictures and ****ing stupid movie trivia shit. I kind of made that clear in my post.

oh, so that is the preview-previews, got it, thanks.

Pablo
01-14-2014, 12:42 PM
oh, so that is the preview-previews, got it, thanks.She said as much in her first post.

And LMAO at some of the fucking loons in this thread applauding/rationalizing this dude's actions.

Brock
01-14-2014, 12:42 PM
you guys are right. he should have just let the guy beat his ass. what the hell was I thinking...

No, of course the only logical thing to do is kill a man with your gun in a crowded theater.

Pablo
01-14-2014, 12:43 PM
No, of course the only logical thing to do is kill a man with your gun in a crowded theater.If you're ever frightened or intimidated in any manner; the best policy is to just shoot until you aren't scared anymore.

BigRichard
01-14-2014, 12:44 PM

:thumb:

Not enough info but we know the guy is guilty no matter what because the guy was "just texting". Was there something that happened between the texting and the guy getting shot? Sounds to me like there was a hell of a lot going on.

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2014, 12:44 PM
She said as much in her first post.

And LMAO at some of the ****ing loons in this thread applauding/rationalizing this dude's actions.

sorry, I don't know what preview-previews are... chatty carlota didn't make that very clear. Ironic.

Al Bundy
01-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Watch out for Mahoney.

Hes a real prankster.

Here's a winning post.

GloryDayz
01-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Or.... you know... an asteroid could have landed on the theater and killed him. Therefore, shoot somebody in the throat...

:facepalm:

Here, borrow mine. But give it back, I'm counting on it hitting Mile High at 160,000 mph and the first part splintering off and hitting Payton Manning square in his dick!

Hey, think we can get Manning and Brady to go to a theater and start texting each other? Those Colorado theaters aren't exactly gun-free zones either!

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWSWPIDQb4CrCmos6X9Mh9YRcVazfHxsiYrplydYBKZRKDJe9x

Carlota69
01-14-2014, 12:49 PM
sorry, I don't know what preview-previews are... chatty carlota didn't make that very clear. Ironic.

Who the fuck are you? You dont talk to people ever??? Why is that Chatty? Go fuck yourself you little twat.

Fish
01-14-2014, 12:50 PM

Sorry, but your justification is bullshit. I'm a huge proponent of gun ownership. But you do an incredible disservice to the idea of personal gun ownership by alluding that people should kill someone over a disagreement that might have otherwise resulted in fisticuffs.

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Who the **** are you? You dont talk to people ever??? Why is that Chatty? Go **** yourself you little twat.

:)

looks like I pushed the wrong button, sheesh.

BigRichard
01-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Sorry, but your justification is bullshit. I'm a huge proponent of gun ownership. But you do an incredible disservice to the idea of personal gun ownership by alluding that people should kill someone over a disagreement that might have otherwise resulted in fisticuffs.

What if it was a 71 year old lady? Would fisticuffs be ok then?

Carlota69
01-14-2014, 12:54 PM
:)

looks like I pushed the wrong button, sheesh.

Yeah, you insulted me for absolutely no reason. You did it for sport, and Im not going to take your shit. So guess what, you get insulted right back sir.

PunkinDrublic
01-14-2014, 12:55 PM
To paraphrase Chris Rock. I'm not saying he should've killed him but I understand.

BigRichard
01-14-2014, 12:55 PM
I am actually surprised this hasn't ended up in DC yet. It will be there soon enough. Mods must not be around.

Dartgod
01-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Yeah, you insulted me for absolutely no reason. You did it for sport, and Im not going to take your shit. So guess what, you get insulted right back sir.

He's a Donkey fan, Carlota.

Fuck him.

Pablo
01-14-2014, 12:58 PM
He's a Donkey fan, Carlota.

Fuck him.This.

Racking up thousands of post over a decade on a Chiefs site.

kcfanXIII
01-14-2014, 12:58 PM
No, of course the only logical thing to do is kill a man with your gun in a crowded theater.

You are operating under the assumption it went text, text, bang. I'm operating under the assumption that physical force was attempted and this man defended himself. I never said one was logical, and the other wasn't. I said we don't have enough information about the incident. Does it sound logical that a retired law enforcement official, who is far more trained at interpreting the CCW laws of florida than you or I, would illegally shoot a man? He obviously kept up with his training with his gun, and was composed enough to only fire once. Why was the wife's hand in the way of the bullet if she isn't trying to hold her husband back? There just isn't enough info out there to claim beyond a shadow of a doubt that this shooting wasn't justified.

Pablo
01-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Sorry, but your justification is bullshit. I'm a huge proponent of gun ownership. But you do an incredible disservice to the idea of personal gun ownership by alluding that people should kill someone over a disagreement that might have otherwise resulted in fisticuffs.Back in my day, when two guys had a disagreement, they took it outside and settled it like men!

Nowadays, you just get shot inside a movie theater. Kind of takes the bravado out of the whole scenario.

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
This.

Racking up thousands of post over a decade on a Chiefs site.

it's really not that many for as long as I've been a member here...

Fish
01-14-2014, 01:02 PM
You are operating under the assumption it went text, text, bang. I'm operating under the assumption that physical force was attempted and this man defended himself. I never said one was logical, and the other wasn't. I said we don't have enough information about the incident. Does it sound logical that a retired law enforcement official, who is far more trained at interpreting the CCW laws of florida than you or I, would illegally shoot a man? He obviously kept up with his training with his gun, and was composed enough to only fire once. Why was the wife's hand in the way of the bullet if she isn't trying to hold her husband back? There just isn't enough info out there to claim beyond a shadow of a doubt that this shooting wasn't justified.

So.... without having all the info, you automatically assume the worst and would retaliate with deadly force?

JFC.....

kcfanXIII
01-14-2014, 01:02 PM

and I say to you, I have no obligation to take a physical assault without defending myself. There is no guarantee that the attacker will stop, and it IS a life endangering event. Don't want to get shot? Don't start a fight.

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2014, 01:04 PM

didn't mean to "insult" you. Nice chatting with you... I think. Maybe not.

Pablo
01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Pussification of 'Merica and stuff.

Guys are scared to take a bloody lip anymore, so they have to shoot anything that intimidates them.

kcfanXIII
01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
So.... without having all the info, you automatically assume the worst and would retaliate with deadly force?

JFC.....

Obviously if I was involved, I would have all the information, and be able to make a judgment. As I was not there, I don't know all the details. Only some, and I'm left to assume the rest.

Fish
01-14-2014, 01:06 PM
and I say to you, I have no obligation to take a physical assault without defending myself. There is no guarantee that the attacker will stop, and it IS a life endangering event. Don't want to get shot? Don't start a fight.

Yeah, OK George Zimmerman. I thought I was talking to a man who could handle himself...

kcfanXIII
01-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Back in my day, when two guys had a disagreement, they took it outside and settled it like men!

Nowadays, you just get shot inside a movie theater. Kind of takes the bravado out of the whole scenario.

If it was two men of equal stature, I would agree. If Someone in their thirties attacks a 71 year old man, well, that is different.

stevieray
01-14-2014, 01:08 PM
...guy must not have seen the ambulamps video...we can debate all day long whether or not he should/shouldn't have shot him...

the real issue is current culture that will stomp you to death for a TV on black friday....things go to eleven almost instantly..self entitlement, looking to be offended, and general lack of common courtesy all make a minor confrontations deadly.

sad....

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2014, 01:10 PM
I think it's pretty clear that this 71 year old retired cop lost his marbles. Instead of enjoying his golden years and a nice retirement after serving his community for such a long time, he's gonna be sitting behind some iron bars, probably until he dies.

Dartgod
01-14-2014, 01:12 PM
...guy must not have seen the ambulamps video...we can debate all day long whether or not he should/shouldn't have shot him...

the real issue is current culture that will stomp you to death for a TV on black friday....things go to eleven almost instantly..self entitlement, looking to be offended, and general lack of common courtesy all make a minor confrontations deadly.

sad....

All this is sadly true.

kcfanXIII
01-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Yeah, OK George Zimmerman. I thought I was talking to a man who could handle himself...

I don't go out looking for trouble, and I'm mature enough I don't feel the need to get into "fisticuffs" anymore. If you want to come start shit with me, that is on you. It doesn't make you more of a man to start fights, just like it doesn't make me a man to have a gun in my hand. That's not what this is about. This is about defending yourself. If that's how you judge manhood just move along because we will never see eye to eye.

Pablo
01-14-2014, 01:13 PM
If it was two men of equal stature, I would agree. If Someone in their thirties attacks a 71 year old man, well, that is different.Well, there was a 28 year difference between the two men.

Are we supposed to assume that a 50 year old man can't reasonably defend himself without a weapon from a 22 year old? Is the difference in age what makes it alright to use a gun to resolve a disagreement instead of engaging in fisticuffs?

Or are you just assuming that all 71 year olds are weak and fragile, and can't fend for themselves?

Pablo
01-14-2014, 01:14 PM

sad....LMAO

Grandpa stomped the shit out of that guy.

Just Passin' By
01-14-2014, 01:14 PM

If his only orther recourse is going Dirty Harry, the 71 year old man needs to shut the **** up, move, or step back and let the theater employees handle it. Instead, this dipshit apparently decided to play Billy Badass because the guy threw a bag of popcorn at him, and he'll now be spending the rest of his life at the ironbar hotel.

DaWolf
01-14-2014, 01:15 PM
If you are not prepped for the possibility of getting your ass whupped in that situation should it escalate, then you should not engage and re-engage in a dispute with the other party. If your only plan is to shoot the individual after initiating the dispute should the dispute escalate, then you belong in jail. I mean, perspective. This was over TEXTING in a MOVIE THEATER...

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2014, 01:18 PM
If you are not prepped for the possibility of getting your ass whupped in that situation should it escalate, then you should not engage and re-engage in a dispute with the other party. If your only plan is to shoot the individual after initiating the dispute should the dispute escalate, then you belong in jail...

yep, the old man left to find management and could not find any theatre management, and instead of just moving to another seat, he goes right back to where the guy texting is. Then he pulls a pistol out? Like I said, this guy has lost it. He took a very minor situation and turned it into 2nd degree murder and left a child fatherless.

Easy 6
01-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Who the **** are you? You dont talk to people ever??? Why is that Chatty? Go **** yourself you little twat.

See that? give someone a rap on the beater and ya get a little respect around here!

Fish
01-14-2014, 01:21 PM
I don't go out looking for trouble, and I'm mature enough I don't feel the need to get into "fisticuffs" anymore. If you want to come start shit with me, that is on you. It doesn't make you more of a man to start fights, just like it doesn't make me a man to have a gun in my hand. That's not what this is about. This is about defending yourself. If that's how you judge manhood just move along because we will never see eye to eye.

You continue to miss the difference between defending yourself, and killing another unarmed person over a disagreement. No witnesses reported any struggle. Shooter is behind bars, and likely will be for a long time. That should tell you everything you need to know about your idea of defense.

kcfanXIII
01-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Well, there was a 28 year difference between the two men.

Are we supposed to assume that a 50 year old man can't reasonably defend himself without a weapon from a 22 year old? Is the difference in age what makes it alright to use a gun to resolve a disagreement instead of engaging in fisticuffs?

Or are you just assuming that all 71 year olds are weak and fragile, and can't fend for themselves?

I am assuming that most elderly folks have physical conditions that would make fisticuffs unfair at best, and possibly deadly in some worst cases.

If that assumption doesn't prove to be true, this was probably murder. If the texter didn't show an eminent physical threat, this was probably murder.

Radar Chief
01-14-2014, 01:22 PM
If you are not prepped for the possibility of getting your ass whupped in that situation should it escalate, then you should not engage and re-engage in a dispute with the other party. If your only plan is to shoot the individual after initiating the dispute should the dispute escalate, then you belong in jail. I mean, perspective. This was over TEXTING in a MOVIE THEATER...

In the CCW class I took I was told that you can’t start a fight, use your weapon to end it and call it “self-defense”. That’s murder, plain and simple.

PunkinDrublic
01-14-2014, 01:23 PM
I think it's pretty clear that this 71 year old retired cop lost his marbles. Instead of enjoying his golden years and a nice retirement after serving his community for such a long time, he's gonna be sitting behind some iron bars, probably until he dies.

He might get conjegul visits.

Just Passin' By
01-14-2014, 01:25 PM
I am assuming that most elderly folks have physical conditions that would make fisticuffs unfair at best, and possibly deadly in some worst cases.

If that assumption doesn't prove to be true, this was probably murder. If the texter didn't show an eminent physical threat, this was probably murder.

He shot a man over a thrown bag of popcorn, in an incident of his own creation, which he was wrong to initiate in the first place. I'm not sure what you think you're defending, but this is not the guy to be white knighting.

kcfanXIII
01-14-2014, 01:25 PM
You continue to miss the difference between defending yourself, and killing another unarmed person over a disagreement. No witnesses reported any struggle. Shooter is behind bars, and likely will be for a long time. That should tell you everything you need to know about your idea of defense.

I saw another article that said there was a physical confrontation. Like I've been saying, a lot of missing information. I'm not missing anything, I just won't jump to the assumption he is guilty of cold blooded murder until some details are clarified. I thought I had made that clear...

kcfanXIII
01-14-2014, 01:26 PM
He shot a man over a thrown bag of popcorn, in an incident of his own creation, which he was wrong to initiate in the first place. I'm not sure what you think you're defending, but this is not the guy to be white knighting.

If this proves to be the truth, so be it.

Old Dog
01-14-2014, 01:30 PM
He might get conjegul visits.

I agree....he's fucked

Radar Chief
01-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Well, there was a 28 year difference between the two men.

No, it's unpossible for an old man to defend himself against a 20 something.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2lckzg6.jpg

Just Passin' By
01-14-2014, 01:31 PM
If this proves to be the truth, so be it.

That's the claim made by his own attorneys:

Curtis Reeves "had every right to defend himself" after being hit with an unknown object, believed to be bag of popcorn, his attorneys said at a standing-room-only bond hearing. They dismissed the case against their client as "weak" and insisted the victim was, in fact, the aggressor.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/24442737/2014/01/14/accused-theater-shooter-heads-to-court

Pablo
01-14-2014, 01:33 PM
No, it's unpossible for an old man to defend himself against a 20 something.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2lckzg6.jpgI figured as much. I just feel awful for you helpless guys in your 50's and 60's. Just have to curl up into a ball and take the beating unless you have a weapon on you.

LMAO

dirk digler
01-14-2014, 01:37 PM
That's the claim made by his own attorneys:

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/24442737/2014/01/14/accused-theater-shooter-heads-to-court

What an idiot and I have no doubt he thought the stand your ground law would bail him out.

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2014, 01:41 PM
What an idiot and I have no doubt he thought the stand your ground law would bail him out.

nah, I think it's a classic case of a guy losing his temper over something very minor. I'm guessing the old man just kind of lost it. Now someone is dead. I'm guessing the old guy had some anger managment issues he never really dealt with.

Rain Man
01-14-2014, 02:10 PM
nah, I think it's a classic case of a guy losing his temper over something very minor. I'm guessing the old man just kind of lost it. Now someone is dead. I'm guessing the old guy had some anger managment issues he never really dealt with.

Or maybe he was able to vent his anger in some way during his police years.

CoMoChief
01-14-2014, 02:17 PM

Yup

Garcia Bronco
01-14-2014, 02:29 PM

Retired "POLICE CAPTAIN". This guy was a fucking Captain.

Rain Man
01-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Retired "POLICE CAPTAIN". This guy was a ****ing Captain.

That must be why he was able to shoot two people with one bullet.

dirk digler
01-14-2014, 02:39 PM

If I read what happened correctly he shot once, sat down and put the gun in his lap. He knew what he was doing and what the law was

Rain Man
01-14-2014, 02:45 PM
If I read what happened correctly he shot once, sat down and put the gun in his lap. He knew what he was doing and what the law was

If that works, I've got about six people that I'm going to go pick a fight with as soon as they start using their phone.

NinerDoug
01-14-2014, 03:29 PM

Seems to me this guy was both sheep dog and wolf.

01-14-2014, 03:43 PM
At least the victim didn't throw a bag of skittles at him.

BigRedChief
01-14-2014, 04:07 PM
I am assuming that most elderly folks have physical conditions that would make fisticuffs unfair at best, and possibly deadly in some worst cases.This was no ordinary senior citizen. This was not some retired flat foot, walked a beat, small town cop.

He was the cop that started the first SWAT team in the early 80's in Tampa. He was considered the go to guy for all hostage situations, public unrests etc. for over 10 years. The best cop in the Tampa area.

He was head of Security at Bush Gardens amusement park after he retired from the police force.

BigRichard
01-14-2014, 04:20 PM
I wonder if the reaction here would be the same if the headline read "Man shot at movie theatre for being a dick." I love how headlines can drive peoples emotions.

Just Passin' By
01-14-2014, 04:32 PM
I wonder if the reaction here would be the same if the headline read "Man shot at movie theatre for being a dick." I love how headlines can drive peoples emotions.

Death for texting during a movie preview seems extreme to me, regardless of the headline. Your mileage may vary.

BigRichard
01-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Death for texting during a movie preview seems extreme to me, regardless of the headline. Your mileage may vary.

As I said in a previous post, was it the texting that got him shot or did something happen after that?

And I am not condoning what the old fart did. I am just saying there was more than he was just texting.

jspchief
01-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Obviously he had no choice but to shoot the guy. It's not like you can just walk out of a theater. And even if he could, why would he throw away $10 of his hard earned money when he can just kill someone instead.

Eleazar
01-14-2014, 04:57 PM
I think this should be an acceptable penalty for texting repeatedly during a movie.

01-14-2014, 05:00 PM
As I said in a previous post, was it the texting that got him shot or did something happen after that?

And I am not condoning what the old fart did. I am just saying there was more than he was just texting.

one of the witnesses seems to give a good account. Verbal altercation followed by the victim tossing his popcorn at the old dipshit. Guess the old man didn't appreciate getting his disgusting, bald head all greasy.

BigRichard
01-14-2014, 05:11 PM
one of the witnesses seems to give a good account. Verbal altercation followed by the victim tossing his popcorn at the old dipshit. Guess the old man didn't appreciate getting his disgusting, bald head all greasy.

So your saying it wasn't for texting?

01-14-2014, 05:14 PM
So your saying it wasn't for texting?

Does the headline make a difference? "Man throws popcorn after altercation, shot in chest"....

J Diddy
01-14-2014, 05:20 PM

Dude took it all wrong. That shit was $20 worth of popcorn. It was a peace offering and not intended to offend.

gblowfish
01-14-2014, 05:27 PM
The shooter will probably get off as self defense. He thought the guy's smart phone was a stun gun...

BigRichard
01-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Does the headline make a difference? "Man throws popcorn after altercation, shot in chest"....

Yes it does. Several people on here have stated he was shot for just texting which is laughable. He was shot because he got into an altercation with an old fart with a gun. The texting led to the altercation but it did not lead to the shooting.

Once again, I am not on the side of the old fart. I don't have enough evidence one way or the other to make any analysis but it does sound like the dipshit will be spending some time in jail.

01-14-2014, 05:29 PM
That must be why he was able to shoot two people with one bullet.

Unfortunately his wife was the Lone Survivor.

CosmicPal
01-14-2014, 05:32 PM
Yes it does. Several people on here have stated he was shot for just texting which is laughable. He was shot because he got into an altercation with an old fart with a gun. The texting led to the altercation but it did not lead to the shooting.

Once again, I am not on the side of the old fart. I don't have enough evidence one way or the other to make any analysis but it does sound like the dipshit will be spending some time in jail.

Absolutely correct. The texting is may have started it, but this is nothing more than a sad case of two folks who let their egos get in the way. Had the guy who was texting been more courteous to those around him AND had the old guy been a little more patient, this would never have escalated to two strangers standing up and facing each other in a public theater.

They BOTH mishandled this poorly. It should never have escalated to someone feeling like he needed to pull a gun on the other.

01-14-2014, 05:33 PM

Ok. You're just stating what everyone already knows.

BigRichard
01-14-2014, 05:41 PM

Ok. You're just stating what everyone already knows.

:hmmm:

01-14-2014, 05:46 PM

You're so literal

J Diddy
01-14-2014, 05:49 PM
The shooter will probably get off as self defense. He thought the guy's smart phone was a stun gun...

The senility defense. Nice.

Just Passin' By
01-14-2014, 06:30 PM

Either you didn't read the thread or you're just being an asshole. I'm the one who linked to the follow up story about the popcorn being thrown and quoted it.

BigRichard
01-14-2014, 10:51 PM
I don't remember reading it in the story but did the guy have his gun drawn already and pointed at the guy when he threw the popcorn? Or did he draw and fire after he was hit with the popcorn?

This could make a huge difference in the trial if it gets to one.

beach tribe
01-15-2014, 01:07 AM
Or maybe he was able to vent his anger in some way during his police years.

Like I said. Probably not the first person he murdered. He was just on duty before.

Was probably why he was promoted to Captain. For taking out the "bad guys".

beach tribe
01-15-2014, 01:08 AM
I don't remember reading it in the story but did the guy have his gun drawn already and pointed at the guy when he threw the popcorn? Or did he draw and fire after he was hit with the popcorn?

Yup. I mean the guy had a weapon.

Popcorn.

Popcorn.

VAChief
01-15-2014, 09:18 AM
:thumb:

Not enough info but we know the guy is guilty no matter what because the guy was "just texting". Was there something that happened between the texting and the guy getting shot? Sounds to me like there was a hell of a lot going on.

We know the police talked to witnesses who did not see any punches thrown. We know the defense attorney is claiming the bag of popcorn thrown is cause to fear for your life. We know this isn't the first time he has harassed movie goers.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-15-2014, 10:13 AM

Most 70 something people live in an elderly care home? Are you serious? Go to Branson, MO sometime and check out the people in their 90's running around on vacation. You're off on the age demographic here. No way in hell "most" people in their 70's are living in a nursing home.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-15-2014, 10:29 AM
No doubt in my mind that this dude thought stand your ground would protect him. Oops. Now his 71 year old asshole is going to get pruned nightly in prison by kids half his age avenging their absent fathers. ROFL Sorry, couldn't help myself...

01-15-2014, 10:32 AM
No doubt in my mind that this dude thought stand your ground would protect him. Oops. Now his 71 year old asshole is going to get pruned nightly in prison by kids half his age avenging their absent fathers. ROFL Sorry, couldn't help myself...

I agree. Dude was just waiting to be "attacked"

Lock his stupid ass up

Radar Chief
01-15-2014, 10:38 AM

I tend to doubt he thought that far ahead. Read the bio on this guy, he’s a man of authority that isn’t used to being told to get bent much less have some smart ass punk throw something at him. I’m willing to bet his reaction is based on emotion and pride.

hawkchief
01-15-2014, 10:39 AM

I hope this is sarcastic.

01-15-2014, 10:39 AM
I tend to doubt he thought that far ahead. Read the bio on this guy, he’s a man of authority that isn’t used to being told to get bent much less have some smart ass punk throw something at him. I’m willing to bet his reaction is based on emotion and pride.

either way, he is a psycho

Mr. Flopnuts
01-15-2014, 10:41 AM

Which I'm sure is a big part of it. But when I say he thought stand your ground would protect him, in my mind he's a big supporter of the law, and thought to himself that because of it, his ailing body wouldn't cause him to suffer any humiliation ever again. Totally crack pot psychology there, but that is the jest of my thought process. Right or wrong, we'll never know, more than likely.

Radar Chief
01-15-2014, 10:41 AM
either way, he is a psycho

Agreed, and he's headed for what he deserves.

Bambi
01-15-2014, 12:30 PM
People who carry guns around continue to sink lower and lower on the society food chain.

Feel bad too because guns are pretty cool considering the engineering involved.

Chief Gump
01-15-2014, 01:27 PM
I hope this is sarcastic.

You don't think it will look different to a judge and jury both in the verdict and sentencing in a trial.

Scenario one, old fart claims something hits him and he just reactivly pulls the trigger.

Scenario two, old fart gets hit with something and has to actively think to pull out his gun and pull the trigger.

That can play a huge difference.

jspchief
01-15-2014, 01:29 PM
You don't think it will look different to a judge and jury both in the verdict and sentencing in a trial.

Scenario one, old fart claims something hits him and he just reactivly pulls the trigger.

Scenario two, old fart gets hit with something and has to actively think to pull out his gun and pull the trigger.

"Reactively pull the trigger"?

Rain Man
01-15-2014, 01:32 PM

I don't really understand the difference.

As someone earlier pointed out, I'm curious why the wife's hand got shot, and if she was trying to hold the dead guy back from attacking the old guy. But even if she was, I think the old guy is in a heap of trouble, so maybe it doesn't make much difference.

It's really hard for me to buy any type of self-defense argument. There were no punches thrown, and it was in a public area with dozens of other people around. Yelling, "Help! Call the police!" would have sufficed as a defense.

Brock
01-15-2014, 01:32 PM

About the only thing I'm thinking is that this crazy old fuck thinks it's okay to discharge his weapon in a room that's wall to wall people over a confrontation he just wouldn't walk away from. He needs to be put away.

Just Passin' By
01-15-2014, 01:37 PM

He's a retired police captain.

peterbilt
01-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Absolutely correct. The texting is may have started it, but this is nothing more than a sad case of two folks who let their egos get in the way. Had the guy who was texting been more courteous to those around him AND had the old guy been a little more patient, this would never have escalated to two strangers standing up and facing each other in a public theater.

They BOTH mishandled this poorly. It should never have escalated to someone feeling like he needed to pull a gun on the other.

Was there a better way to "mishandle" it. ROFL

Just Passin' By
01-15-2014, 01:57 PM

A guy was killed because some asshole didn't like him texting during movie previews. The previews. This isn't a both wrong scenario.

Rain Man
01-15-2014, 01:58 PM
I think the big problem is that we no longer allow duels. In 1810 this would have been handled much better. They would have slapped each other with gloves, met in a designated dueling zone of a city park later, and everyone would have enjoyed the movie.

Radar Chief
01-15-2014, 02:14 PM
I think the big problem is that we no longer allow duels. In 1810 this would have been handled much better. They would have slapped each other with gloves, met in a designated dueling zone of a city park later, and everyone would have enjoyed the movie.

Well that is kind of what they did, only the loser brought popcorn to a gun fight.

Rain Man
01-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Well that is kind of what they did, only the loser brought popcorn to a gun fight.

He also got first shot, but you're not going to win a duel with popcorn. It was a bad choice of weapons.

Dartgod
01-15-2014, 02:50 PM
He also got first shot, but you're not going to win a duel with popcorn. It was a bad choice of weapons.

Not so fast...

It is estimated between 170-190 people die per year from choking on popcorn, making it one of the top 5 most dangerous snacks.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_choke_to_death_on_popcorn_each_year?#slide=1

Dartgod
01-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Also...

The major health concerns involving popcorn stems from the presence of popcorn kernels and popcorn hulls. If kernels and hulls were not part of the popcorn mix, popcorn itself could finally receive a clean bill of health. However, more often than not, popcorn that is commercially available today contains an abundance of both kernels and hulls. And it is the kernels and hulls that pose a danger to consumers.

In considering the negative health consequences of popcorn kernels and hulls, these two elements can cause certain people serious problems in relation to their digestive system. For example, a person diagnosed with diverticulitis will find that his or her disease will seriously be aggravated if that patient consumes popcorn kernels and hulls. Indeed, this can develop into a life threatening situation on some occasions.

People of all ages who eat popcorn that contains kernels and hulls run a very high risk of injury (and sometimes, sadly, death) due to choking. The number of people who choke on popcorn kernels or hulls annually surprisingly is very high. For this reason, very young children never should eat popcorn. Additionally, many doctors advise their older patients to avoid popcorn as well because the risks associated with choking on popcorn kernels and hulls is so very high. Of course, everyone has heard of stories of people who unfortunately have been seriously injured or even died as the result of a choking incident.

http://dev.3klabs.com/crazzles/popcorn-and-your-health.html

Popcorn can be some scary stuff! The old man was clearly within his rights.

gblowfish
01-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Back in high school debate, we used to call something like that (the popcorn health angle) a "squirrel case." It might be too crazy to defense, so, it might just work!

Dartgod
01-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Back in high school debate, we used to call something like that (the popcorn health angle) a "squirrel case." It might be too crazy to defense, so, it might just work!

Isn't that the basis of the "Chewbacca Defense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense)"?

Chief Gump
01-15-2014, 03:51 PM

As someone earlier pointed out, I'm curious why the wife's hand got shot, and if she was trying to hold the dead guy back from attacking the old guy. But even if she was, I think the old guy is in a heap of trouble, so maybe it doesn't make much difference.

It's really hard for me to buy any type of self-defense argument. There were no punches thrown, and it was in a public area with dozens of other people around. Yelling, "Help! Call the police!" would have sufficed as a defense.

Maybe any lawyers on here could tell me if I am wrong but I think it could mean the difference between the type of murder charge (ie. murder 1, murder 2) they try to get which in effect changes the type of sentencing he can recieve.

Skyy God
01-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Apparently it wasn't this guy's first time as movie theater vigilante.

The Times says that after the shooting, another local woman, Jamira Dixon, came forward to say Reeves had accosted her weeks earlier for the same offense:

On Dec. 28, she said Reeves confronted her for texting during a movie. <b>She said he was glaring at her, and that he even followed her to the restroom.</b>

Dixon said her husband thought of confronting Reeves, but didn't. "It could have been us," she told Bay News 9.

http://gawker.com/ex-cop-who-shot-texter-in-a-movie-theater-has-threatene-1501798833

Dartgod
01-15-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm not defending the old coot, but glaring at someone is not really a confrontation.

Just Passin' By
01-15-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm not defending the old coot, but glaring at someone is not really a confrontation.

No, but following her to the restroom is either a case of the viagra working too well or a guy with a serious hostility issue.

Katipan
01-15-2014, 04:38 PM

Unless you're the guy picked to be a second.

BigRedChief
01-15-2014, 08:44 PM
My parents moved to Wesley chapel last year. Its a really nice area. At least where they live.Think Leawood. Upper class suburbia.

BigRedChief
01-15-2014, 08:49 PM
No, but following her to the restroom is either a case of the viagra working too well or a guy with a serious hostility issue.Like I said earlier, he was use to being the top dog, having the power of being the top dog. I bet he felt entitled to get his way in public. If anyone didn't bend to his will, especially someone not following the rules......he got pissed off.

KChiefer
01-15-2014, 08:52 PM

FWIW, he also verbally confronted her. I dunno if she was texting during the actual movie that time.

Anyways. This guy should have really sat in the front row if someone simply looking at their phone is too much to bear.

ThaVirus
01-15-2014, 09:00 PM

Even if it were the first scenario, which I would guess you believe would make his self-defense case a bit more believable, why was he brandishing his weapon prior to any threatening event? It seems to me he'd be the wrong in either scenario you propose.

stevieray
01-15-2014, 09:00 PM
....let's not pretend we know this guy, other than he made a horrific decision, and he'll end up where belongs.

beach tribe
01-15-2014, 09:33 PM

Those are both murder2.

So, no.

GloryDayz
01-16-2014, 07:20 AM
Isn't that the basis of the "Chewbacca Defense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense)"?

I think we should coin a new term, "The KenDICK Lewis Defense" - you knew before it started that you were going to be raped and killed, so you had to do it.

Jimmya
01-16-2014, 08:26 AM
I like the Lewis defense!

mikeyis4dcats.
01-16-2014, 08:59 AM

she may have had her hand on her husbands back....

GloryDayz
01-16-2014, 09:12 AM
This is a sad story. Had he only used a taser!

BigRedChief
01-16-2014, 06:42 PM
I tend to doubt he thought that far ahead. Read the bio on this guy, he’s a man of authority that isn’t used to being told to get bent much less have some smart ass punk throw something at him. I’m willing to bet his reaction is based on emotion and pride.or history? Woman comes forward to say the old guy threatened her over texting at the same movie theater a couple of weeks earlier.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/pasco-couple-recalls-previous-encounter-with-movie-theater-shooter/2161237

DenverChief
01-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Most 70 something people live in an elderly care home? Are you serious? Go to Branson, MO sometime and check out the people in their 90's running around on vacation. You're off on the age demographic here. No way in hell "most" people in their 70's are living in a nursing home.

Just because they live in a home they can't go on vacation?

Rain Man
01-16-2014, 07:04 PM
she may have had her hand on her husbands back....

Ah. So she was pushing him into a fight. What a clever plan to get some insurance money.

VAChief
01-17-2014, 11:32 AM
A guy was killed because some asshole didn't like him texting during movie previews. The previews. This isn't a both wrong scenario.

This...and it is not like he was chatting it up with friends (although that shouldn't matter either during the previews) it was with his kid's babysitter. This could have been any caring father.

Dartgod
01-17-2014, 12:32 PM
or history? Woman comes forward to say the old guy threatened her over texting at the same movie theater a couple of weeks earlier.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/pasco-couple-recalls-previous-encounter-with-movie-theater-shooter/2161237

There's not one thing in that article that constitutes a threat. Yeah, she apparently had a run in with him, but no threats were made.

BigRedChief
01-17-2014, 02:17 PM
There's not one thing in that article that constitutes a threat. Yeah, she apparently had a run in with him, but no threats were made.She said she was threatened by him. Not my words. Here in Florida thats all you need to blow someone away.

LiveSteam
01-17-2014, 02:20 PM
She said she was threatened by him. Not my words. Here in Florida thats all you need to blow someone away.

I'm moving to Florida