PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Going to Seattle for the 1st time in a few months. What do you recommend I check out?

|Zach|
01-14-2014, 06:13 AM
Heading out there for the first time (as an adult) in early March. Certainly have the EMP Museum on my list and will do the Pike's Market thing I imagine. Will be staying at the Marriott Waterfront so it helps to be in that area.

Any things I can't miss? Especially curious about restaurant recommendations.

big nasty kcnut
01-14-2014, 06:17 AM
Space needle fisherman warf safeco field and mt rainer for great mountain pictures.

J Diddy
01-14-2014, 06:18 AM
I hear Seattle's House of Hot Whores is a good little place to dip and dine.

|Zach|
01-14-2014, 06:30 AM
I hear Seattle's House of Hot Whores is a good little place to dip and dine.

Is the house hot? Or the whores.

J Diddy
01-14-2014, 06:33 AM
Is the house hot? Or the whores.

Irrelevant. The fact that they have the whores is the selling point.

damaticous
01-14-2014, 06:49 AM
Eat lunch at the Crab Pot. Get their signature dish. it's awesome!
Walk around Pikes Place. Visit the fish shop that throws fish, and just a few stored down have a beer in the place where Tom Hanks and Melanie Griffen made that movie. There's a bar in the back with GREAT views!!!!!

Go hiking in Steven's Pass. i prefer Lake Serene. BUT be warned. It's not easy and takes a good 7-8 hours for the whole hike. VERY worth it though.

Visit some of the Bikini coffee shops. My fav was in Monroe (1.5 hours NE of Seattle). Not sure it's there any longer though.

If you have time and in season get a charter boat and go salmon fishing.

DaKCMan AP
01-14-2014, 06:55 AM
Just outside the city in Woodinville you can check out the Redhook brewery and there are some wineries near there (Chateau Ste. Michelle, Columbia, Silver Lake, etc.).

Near the Space Needle check out the Olympic Sculpture Park. Pretty cool and you'd probably like to photograph it.

|Zach|
01-14-2014, 07:05 AM
Eat lunch at the Crab Pot. Get their signature dish. it's awesome!
Walk around Pikes Place. Visit the fish shop that throws fish, and just a few stored down have a beer in the place where Tom Hanks and Melanie Griffen made that movie. There's a bar in the back with GREAT views!!!!!

Go hiking in Steven's Pass. i prefer Lake Serene. BUT be warned. It's not easy and takes a good 7-8 hours for the whole hike. VERY worth it though.

Visit some of the Bikini coffee shops. My fav was in Monroe (1.5 hours NE of Seattle). Not sure it's there any longer though.

If you have time and in season get a charter boat and go salmon fishing.

That lunch place caught my eye...probably won't have time for a long hike or anything mainly going for a game but it seems like there are going to be a ton of photo friendly things. Looking forward to that.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2014, 07:17 AM
Kurt Cobains house
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefEd
01-14-2014, 07:29 AM
Metropolitan Grill downtown. Best steak house on the planet!!!

Dartgod
01-14-2014, 07:37 AM
and just a few stored down have a beer in the place where Tom Hanks and Melanie Griffen made that movie.

Melanie Griffin? I think you mean Griffith. And I also think you mean Meg Ryan.

Dayze
01-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Paging Flopnuts.....

R8RFAN
01-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Heading out there for the first time (as an adult) in early March. Certainly have the EMP Museum on my list and will do the Pike's Market thing I imagine. Will be staying at the Marriott Waterfront so it helps to be in that area.

Any things I can't miss? Especially curious about restaurant recommendations.

How bout the space needle and then open a window :thumb:

Why Not?
01-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Starbucks?

BlackHelicopters
01-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Visit an umbrella store

Dayze
01-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Visit an umbrella store

LMAO

Bearcat
01-14-2014, 08:44 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231895

They have really good Thai food. IIRC, we went to Phuket near the Space Needle, Thai House, and Phnom Penh Noodle House, and they were all very good. I watched football at a place called Sport on the south side of the Needle... they have some good microbrews. There's also the 5 Point Cafe just south of the Needle... they have a 6am happy hour. If Flopnuts shows up, he'll tell you to go to Dick's.

EMP and the Science Center are cool. We hiked up a mountain in Olympic National Park and I learned just how much my cardio sucks.

I was wandering around one day and someone asked me if I needed a place to smoke crack, so it's a very tourist friendly town when it comes to finding things you wouldn't necessarily find on Google maps.

Earthling
01-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Look up Joe Seahawk. He's probably good for a few steak dinners and and free booze...

cosmo20002
01-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Melanie Griffin? I think you mean Griffith. And I also think you mean Meg Ryan.

I think you mean Meg Ryun. I didn't know Forrest Gump was filmed there.

Halfcan
01-14-2014, 09:39 AM
Mount St. Helens-is a must. Hike Mt. Ranier if you get a chance-awesome trails and lots of beutiful scenes for pictures.

cosmo20002
01-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Might be cool to catch a SuperSonics game.

Dartgod
01-14-2014, 09:40 AM
I think you mean Meg Ryun. I didn't know Forrest Gump was filmed there.

No.

Meg Ryan. I don't know who in the fuck Meg Ryun is.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000212/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

cosmo20002
01-14-2014, 09:47 AM
No.

Meg Ryan. I don't know who in the **** Meg Ryun is.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000212/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

She played Forrest's love interest, Julie.

hometeam
01-14-2014, 09:49 AM
http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2010/08/20/SS_marijuana_destinations_seattle.jpeg

loochy
01-14-2014, 09:51 AM
fisherman warf

Fisherman Worf?

http://rangerwinslow.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/media_httpchzsomuchpu_odxrc-scaled500.jpg%3Fw%3D500%26h%3D375

Dartgod
01-14-2014, 09:58 AM
She played Forrest's love interest, Julie.

I don't even...

Fishpicker
01-14-2014, 10:04 AM
mutual combat

Titty Meat
01-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Rick Mirers house

ROYC75
01-14-2014, 10:22 AM
A one way ticket and a home with no internet.:shrug:

I would say the Kingdome but they done blew it up.

The umbrella is a great idea, it rains a lot up there.

cosmo20002
01-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Is Seattle the place where they have that place where they throw the fish?

I've never been there, but it seems like that is something people do.

tonyetony
01-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Bring your passport and go up to Vancouver.

DaKCMan AP
01-14-2014, 12:14 PM

+1

Mr. Flopnuts
01-14-2014, 12:58 PM

+1

+2

I'll touch on some things when I am home and on my computer.

Predarat
01-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Find the 2nd loudest stadium in the NFL and piss on it.

mazrim1978
01-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Bruce Lee's grave is there

NinerDoug
01-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Century Link Field, on Sunday. Wear a Niners Jersey.

NinerDoug
01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Take the ferry to Victoria Island.

ptlyon
01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
+2

I'll touch on some things when I am home and on my computer.

PRON

TheUte
01-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Is Seattle the place where they have that place where they throw the fish?

I've never been there, but it seems like that is something people do.

Pikes Market, it's fun for about 10 minutes.

Discuss Thrower
01-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Irrelevant. The fact that they have the whores is the selling point.

http://www.pbh2.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/seinfeld-gifs-had-enough.gif

lewdog
01-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Check out a restaurant called "The Spud" in West Seattle that overlooks Alki beach. Sit on the second floor and enjoy the view!

BigRichard
01-14-2014, 04:35 PM
You can try the underground tour (or something like that). The wife and I did that and it was interesting. Do the adult tour if you can. Had a lot more information about the hookers and what not.

Edit:

Here is a link to the tour: https://www.undergroundtour.com/

Halfcan
01-14-2014, 04:38 PM

:thumb: awesome place!

HonestChieffan
01-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Pikes Market, it's fun for about 10 minutes.

Amen.

KCFaninSEA
01-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Check out a restaurant called "The Spud" in West Seattle that overlooks Alki beach. Sit on the second floor and enjoy the view!

It is called "Spuds" and they do a nice fish and chips but their chowder is fantastic. If your going to be on the waterfront you will be able to keep yourself busy enough without alot of travel. Check out the "Great Wheel". For night life go to Pioneer Square, there is always alot of activities in that area. Belltown is cool. You will have an opportunity for a shit load of resteraunts as well.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Restaurants:

Dick's (Seattle's equivalent of In n Out, it's not as good, but they are fantastic, and a Seattle staple)
Ivar's (Chowder)
Pagliacci's pizza
The Met (One of the best steak houses in the country. It's fucking expensive as shit)
Thai Food is amazing there, as Bearcat said. I don't have a favorite in downtown, but it's hard to go wrong almost anywhere out there.

Those are off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll think of others. I always tell everyone to have an Alaskan Amber or 12 in my honor. It's my favorite beer on planet Earth. I'm not the connoisseur that Reaper is, but I love the stuff.

The Fremont Troll
The Soundgarden (yeah, that's where they got their name)
The EMP
Seattle Center as a whole can keep you pretty busy.
I think the Pacific Science Center is a blast. Check out the Pink Floyd "The Wall" laser show. Loved them when I was a raging stoner, but I'm sure a beer buzz would enhance the experience as well.
Pioneer Square for bar hopping, however Ballard has some killer Irish Pubs that are all within walking distance of each other.
The Big Wheel is cool from what I've heard, but I haven't been up there since they put it out.
The Underground tour is pretty cool.
Pike Place Market is a place you could burn a couple of hours.
Depending on who's playing, you should be able to catch a pretty good show at the Showbox. They have a very intimate venue, and it's a great experience.

Again, there's more. That's just off the top of my head. The place won't leave you bored, that's for sure.

houstonwhodat
01-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Kurt Cobains house
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimi Hendrix's house and/or grave.

Smoke a doobie with Jimi.

houstonwhodat
01-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Find the 2nd loudest stadium in the NFL and piss on it.

We have a winner.

Chief Roundup
01-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Go check out their soccer facilities at CenturyLink Field.

Eleazar
01-14-2014, 08:36 PM
A football team

TIED5573
01-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Rays Boat House

Excellent sea food

threebag
01-14-2014, 09:55 PM
I think you will find all your are looking for in the Queen Anne District

threebag
01-14-2014, 09:58 PM
Metropolitan Grill downtown. Best steak house on the planet!!!

This. Had a 50 oz porterhouse that was to die for. $89.95 for the steak and $9.95 for sides. With drinks and tip got out of there for around three bills.

threebag
01-14-2014, 10:00 PM

If this is a plan hit the No. 5 Orange in Gas Town.

threebag
01-14-2014, 10:02 PM

Saltys on Alki is way overrated.

Ivars Chowder is the best

TheUte
01-14-2014, 10:47 PM
El Gaucho is a really good restaurant.

Chief Roundup
01-14-2014, 11:28 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned, or that I noticed, a marijuana distributor. Buy some legal kush.

RealSNR
01-14-2014, 11:31 PM
The EMP museum is pretty lame. I thought so, anyway.

RealSNR
01-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Close by is the science fiction museum, though. If you're into that thing, that's kind of cool.

Discuss Thrower
01-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Close by is the science fiction museum, though. If you're into that thing, that's kind of cool.

Like... no...

A science fiction museum is the opposite of cool.

Easy 6
01-15-2014, 12:37 AM
When I think Seattle, I think music... try catching a show at one of the historic rock clubs like the Crocodile Cafe.

http://thrillcall.com/venue/Crocodile_Cafe_in_Seattle_WA

Mr. Flopnuts
01-15-2014, 01:01 AM
When I think Seattle, I think music... try catching a show at one of the historic rock clubs like the Crocodile Cafe.

http://thrillcall.com/venue/Crocodile_Cafe_in_Seattle_WA

I cannot fucking believe I forgot the Croc. That place is sooooooo intimate. There was a flash in the pan band named Tantric, spawned from Days of the New years ago that I saw there. You want to talk about killer. Fuck, watched their set, and had drinks with them afterwards. It was an amazing experience.

Easy 6
01-15-2014, 01:08 AM
I cannot ****ing believe I forgot the Croc. That place is sooooooo intimate. There was a flash in the pan band named Tantric, spawned from Days of the New years ago that I saw there. You want to talk about killer. ****, watched their set, and had drinks with them afterwards. It was an amazing experience.

Tantric and Days of the New, yeah those ring a bell.

I think thats how I'd spend 3/4 of my time in Seattle, going around to all of the cool clubs and checking out music... thinking to myself "yeah man, ****in Cobain once stood right there breh"

The rest of the time I'd be pounding seafood to get rid of the hangover and then head for the hills to do a lil Squatchin :D

|Zach|
01-15-2014, 05:20 AM

Would love to hit VAN...unfortunately not in the cards with times and obligations this time around. Heading to SFO after my stay in SEA.

|Zach|
01-15-2014, 05:24 AM
Go check out their soccer facilities at CenturyLink Field.

That is the main reason for the trip. Sporting Kansas City opens their season against the Seattle Sounders March 8th.

http://www.soundersfcvote.com/img/century-link-field.png

|Zach|
01-15-2014, 05:25 AM
Restaurants:

Dick's (Seattle's equivalent of In n Out, it's not as good, but they are fantastic, and a Seattle staple)
Ivar's (Chowder)
Pagliacci's pizza
The Met (One of the best steak houses in the country. It's ****ing expensive as shit)
Thai Food is amazing there, as Bearcat said. I don't have a favorite in downtown, but it's hard to go wrong almost anywhere out there.

Those are off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll think of others. I always tell everyone to have an Alaskan Amber or 12 in my honor. It's my favorite beer on planet Earth. I'm not the connoisseur that Reaper is, but I love the stuff.

The Fremont Troll
The EMP
I think the Pacific Science Center is a blast. Check out the Pink Floyd "The Wall" laser show. Loved them when I was a raging stoner, but I'm sure a beer buzz would enhance the experience as well.
Pioneer Square for bar hopping, however Ballard has some killer Irish Pubs that are all within walking distance of each other.
The Big Wheel is cool from what I've heard, but I haven't been up there since they put it out.
Depending on who's playing, you should be able to catch a pretty good show at the Showbox. They have a very intimate venue, and it's a great experience.

Again, there's more. That's just off the top of my head. The place won't leave you bored, that's for sure.

Thanks for the heads up...the EMP stuck out to me especially with it being so close to where I am going to be. Lots of good options here though.

|Zach|
01-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the good recs people!

lcarus
01-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Tantric and Days of the New, yeah those ring a bell.

I think thats how I'd spend 3/4 of my time in Seattle, going around to all of the cool clubs and checking out music... thinking to myself "yeah man, ****in Cobain once stood right there breh"

The rest of the time I'd be pounding seafood to get rid of the hangover and then head for the hills to do a lil Squatchin :D

Days of the New spawned from Alice In Chains right?

RealSNR
01-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Like... no...

A science fiction museum is the opposite of cool.

This one has the Borg implants that Patrick Stewart wore as Locutus. THAT was cool.

Dayze
01-17-2014, 01:07 PM
One day, the wife and I would like to fly into San Fran / thereabouts, and drive up to Seattle. Would love to see the northwest.

|Zach|
01-19-2014, 03:58 PM
One day, the wife and I would like to fly into San Fran / thereabouts, and drive up to Seattle. Would love to see the northwest.

Funny, I am actually going from KC to Seattle then SF and then back to KC. Have a buddy in San Fran who I have not been able to see in a while.

|Zach|
03-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Heading out in a few days...any last recs?

chiefsfan987
03-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Heading out in a few days...any last recs?

Even though it is a bit chilly, you should take a cruise or at least a ferry somewhere. I'm a big fan of getting out on the water and since you're going to be on he waterfront anyways I'd take advantage of that.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Seattle/Seattle-Locks-Cruise/d704-2960LOCKS

chiefsfan987
03-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Restaurants:

Ivar's (Chowder)
Pagliacci's pizza
The Met (One of the best steak houses in the country. It's ****ing expensive as shit)

The Fremont Troll
The EMP

This is a really good list. The only thing I don't like on it is Dick's Burgers. I know it is iconic and everyone in Seattle loves it, but I think the food is nasty imo.

Imon Yourside
03-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Watch out for Soccer Hooligans.

Hammock Parties
03-04-2014, 04:03 PM
I hear the toss salad and scrambled eggs are good, though I don't know what to do with them.

|Zach|
03-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Watch out for Soccer Hooligans.

Heh.

|Zach|
03-04-2014, 04:08 PM
This is a really good list. The only thing I don't like on it is Dick's Burgers. I know it is iconic and everyone in Seattle loves it, but I think the food is nasty imo.

Heard enough people talk about Ivar's that I will probably do lunch there on Friday.

chiefsfan987
03-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Heard enough people talk about Ivar's that I will probably do lunch there on Friday.

Anthony's is good too and it's right across the street from where you are staying. You picked a really good place to stay. There is just so much to do within walking distance of that area. There is a big staircase that goes over the street by where you are staying. If you walk to the middle of it, there is just an amazing view of downtown and the sound up there.

|Zach|
03-05-2014, 05:10 AM
Anthony's is good too and it's right across the street from where you are staying. You picked a really good place to stay. There is just so much to do within walking distance of that area. There is a big staircase that goes over the street by where you are staying. If you walk to the middle of it, there is just an amazing view of downtown and the sound up there.

Sounds great. Thanks for the heads up.

htismaqe
03-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Make sure to check out their Super Bowl trophy since you'll likely never see one in Kansas City again.

ARROW2
03-05-2014, 08:30 AM
:bong: LOL!!

TimBone
03-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Make sure to check out their Super Bowl trophy since you'll likely never see one in Kansas City again.

Damn. Beat me to it.

|Zach|
03-05-2014, 12:15 PM

Well I am going to be rolling in on behalf of Kansas City who is a Champion but it certainly and sadly isn't the Chiefs.

It will happen someday though.

htismaqe
03-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Well I am going to be rolling in on behalf of Kansas City who is a Champion but it certainly and sadly isn't the Chiefs.

It will happen someday though.

You're going with Sporting then? That's pretty cool.

|Zach|
03-05-2014, 12:29 PM
You're going with Sporting then? That's pretty cool.

Opening day for the league is on Saturday at Seattle. Kansas City has 400 fans making the trip should be a good time. Then visiting a friend in San Franciso...never been.

It will be funny though...the Sounders play in CLink.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/10/16/sports/soccer/sounders2222/sounders2222-blog480.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UHX01F_2smE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

POND_OF_RED
03-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Beth's Cafe is home of the 12 egg omelette. I tried with one of my friends and failed miserably but I'm sure you'll have lots of help there with the cauldron. It also has unlimited hash browns. Pretty reasonably priced too. Think it was just a little over 20 bucks for an omelette as big as a pizza pan. Needless to say I didn't need more hash browns and left very full. Voted best place to cure a hangover in Seattle.

38yrsfan
03-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Not sure if anyone suggested it but of you have the time the City Pass is a good deal and many of the things to do are right down where you will be. The Museum of Flight is the only thing distant. Not sure if it is still there but we had a good time at the ESPN bar downtown. Another local place was the Frontier Bar, good plentiful food. Ivar's is ok, the best part is the scavenging seagulls outside. My kids had a great time with them feeding them fries. The Aquarium is close by as well. Seattle is a fun place to visit. We like to visit the areas the locals go and the neighborhood west of the zoo have some great watering holes like El Chupacabra.