PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Alex Smith extension numbers

Alex Smith 4Ever
01-19-2014, 07:22 PM
His last extension with the 49ers was for 3 years, 24 million

Obviously he's going to be looking for significantly more, so what do you think we can get him for? At what point do we say that he's asking for too much and let him go?

I'm thinking 5 years 80 million

Rasputin
01-19-2014, 07:24 PM
I thought you were going to tell us what it is and he signed it. Misleading thread title.

Reerun_KC
01-19-2014, 07:25 PM
I thought you were going to tell us what it is and he signed it. Misleading thread title.

Jfc dont be so childish

BlackHelicopters
01-19-2014, 07:26 PM
To the watchtower

Rasputin
01-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Jfc dont be so childish

ROFL

-King-
01-19-2014, 07:29 PM
4 years 45 mil

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-19-2014, 07:29 PM
He's not worth more than $12M in AAV

-King-
01-19-2014, 07:30 PM
He's not worth more than $12M in AAV

Yeah that was my ceiling too.

greatgooglymoogly
01-19-2014, 07:33 PM
I could not care less about his contract. I will judge his time here based on the number of playoff wins he has. I've yet to see a successful QB here.

Dayze
01-19-2014, 07:33 PM
$1 per year. If he wins a Super Bowl, his $60M bonus kicks in.

RealSNR
01-19-2014, 07:35 PM
I'd like those extension numbers, please.

I'm sick of calling the Alex Smith hotline and talking to a computer for 20 minutes just so I can have a nice chat with him.

-King-
01-19-2014, 07:35 PM
I could not care less about his contract. I will judge his time here based on the number of playoff wins he has. I've yet to see a successful QB here.
Glad you could add your valuable insight to this topic.

greatgooglymoogly
01-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Glad you could add your valuable insight to this topic.

Well, when I see a postseason win, I may pull the stick out of my ass.

CrazyPhuD
01-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Base salary 4 million......750K for every regular season win....1.5million wildcard win....3million divisional win....6million conference win.....12 million SB win.

Jimmya
01-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Nfl network "Some feeling in the franchise that KC cannot give Smith a Cutler like deal." Wonder who is thinking that?

bowener
01-19-2014, 07:46 PM
4 years 45 mil

That would be excellent.

Sassy Squatch
01-19-2014, 07:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/G2vGB.gif

New World Order
01-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Thread starter wants him here for 6 years? Are you crazy?

BossChief
01-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Things to consider:

Without signing him long term, we can keep him on his current deal then tag twice at a total of 3years under 40 million. That would be all guaranteed.

He is gonna be 30 in may.

He only has a sample size of good productivity over the course of about 7 games with us, including the playoff game.

He has a major injury history with his throwing shoulder.

We have a few other players looking for extensions and we need a decent amount of cap space to sign the ones we pretty much NEED...like Abdullah, Schwartz, Houston and maybe even guys like Albert (our best OL) and Asamoah (who is quality depth) Demps, Zombo and that's not even accounting for the spots we need to fill that are glaring needs.

If he would take something like 4 years, 50-55 million with about 35-40 guaranteed...I'd offer that. Much more than that and I'm not sure why they would feel the need to extend him right now.

BigMeatballDave
01-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Thread starter wants him here for 6 years? Are you crazy?

If he continues to play like he did vs Indy, sure.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Why would we sign him to a deal similar to Cutlers, that has 54 million guaranteed when we can save 14 million of that by not signing him long term?

Lets equate that to real life team impact...

Sign Alex to a Cutler type deal at 54 million for the first 3 years...18per

Let his contract run out and tag him twice for a total of 40 for that same 3 year period and give the remainder of the money plus a little more to add a guy like Jarius Byrd, TJ Ward, Clemons, Wright or Whitner.

The ONLY reason I'd sign him long term this offseason is if it truly makes sense in the big picture.

Otherwise, let him get older and keep looking through the draft for his replacement...if you find a guy in the draft, that likely saves us 15-20 million the next year that can AGAIN be spent in free agency to help us get to the next level.

O.city
01-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Why would we sign him to a deal similar to Cutlers, that has 54 million guaranteed when we can save 14 million of that by not signing him long term?

Lets equate that to real life team impact...

Sign Alex to a Cutler type deal at 54 million for the first 3 years...18per

Let his contract run out and tag him twice for a total of 40 for that same 3 year period and give the remainder of the money plus a little more to add a guy like Jarius Byrd, TJ Ward, Clemons, Wright or Whitner.

The ONLY reason I'd sign him long term this offseason is if it truly makes sense in the big picture.

Otherwise, let him get older and keep looking through the draft for his replacement...if you find a guy in the draft, that likely saves us 15-20 million the next year that can AGAIN be spent in free agency to help us get to the next level.

I'm not a fan of having your QB play on the tag. There is some emotions and such involved in this situation of showing guys that produce you'll compensate them.

I also tend to think you can probably get him for less that that and spread it around where it doesn't hurt you as much.

New World Order
01-19-2014, 08:31 PM
If he continues to play like he did vs Indy, sure.

6 years on one game?

philfree
01-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Seems people still don't want to commit to Alex Smith. If Reid and Co. think Alex is their guy then why would they not sign him long term? I'd sign him to a 6 year deal and spread out the cap hit making it cap friendly the first couple/3 years. It can always be re-done later.

O.city
01-19-2014, 08:45 PM
If he's the guy for the next 3 years we saw post bye, I'd have no problems overpaying for him a bit.

I'm skeptical of it though.

BryanBusby
01-19-2014, 09:30 PM
3 year, 33 million extension 17 million guaranteed.

I'm more concerned about the length of the contract than the dollars.

O.city
01-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Length doesn't matter. It's guaranteed money that matters.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm not a fan of having your QB play on the tag. There is some emotions and such involved in this situation of showing guys that produce you'll compensate them.

I also tend to think you can probably get him for less that that and spread it around where it doesn't hurt you as much.

If he doesn't wanna get tagged, sign for 12-13 per year and be happy you are still a starter capable of making that kind of coin.

Alex is smart enough to realize that he benefits from signing a reasonable long term deal, too. Even if its for 12-13 million per year with a 10 million dollar bonus for a superbowl appearance, 5 million for AFC champ game, etc. Shit, work in some escalators that kick in once we win a playoff game that would make his salary jump if we win when it matters.

He doesn't have to worry about injury. He would be locked up to a place that has specific coaching that can help him succeed. He would be on a team with a lot of young talent that should afford him the ability to sty in the hunt for a few years. He isn't getting close to that kind of opportunity elsewhere...

If he doesn't sign for a reasonable amount, we have the right to keep him the next 3 years...until the season he would be a free agent he would be 33 years old.

I'm not sure that wouldn't be the best idea for us anyway.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2014, 09:44 PM
Let's be real here. He's not going to extend his deal for 11 million dollar a year average.

It's going to be in the 14-16 mill range. I think he signs a deal that's team friendly so they can add pieces though.

My guess? 4 years, 56 million.

Messier
01-19-2014, 09:46 PM
If he's the guy for the next 3 years we saw post bye, I'd have no problems overpaying for him a bit.

I'm skeptical of it though.

I don't think there should be a mad rush to extend him, but I think we probably will get the Smith of the second half. And it wasn't that he sucked in the first half, he just was being very very cautious. Give him more to throw to, and continuity in the system and I think he stays comfortable for a number of years.

O.city
01-19-2014, 09:47 PM
If we could lock him in at 14 per, I think I'd go ahead and do that.

O.city
01-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Has there been any chatter on who we are actually looking to extend ( Smith) or re structure?

BossChief
01-19-2014, 09:51 PM
How much would his price go up if he has an improved year next year and is entering free agency at 31 years old?

Lets say we keep him in 2014 at 7.5 and tag him once after that. The tag for quarterbacks this upcoming year is gonna be just over 16 million.

That's under 24 million the next two years and then we would be negotiating with a 32 year old quarterback and it would give us the money to lock a few guys up while still being able to go out and get a couple more pieces to help us beat playoff teams in the coming years.

I'll be beyond thrilled if we can get one of the top safeties in the free agent class and then get a top flight offensive weapon with our first rounder. This FA class (as it currently sits) is star studded with safeties and the draft isn't.

Sure would be exciting.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2014, 09:51 PM
Has there been any chatter on who we are actually looking to extend ( Smith) or re structure?

Last off-season, I asked that question about who down the road would be in line for an extension/restructure.

Hali and Berry were mentioned then. Haven't gotten anything new.

O.city
01-19-2014, 09:53 PM
How much would his price go up if he has an improved year next year and is entering free agency at 31 years old?

Lets say we keep him in 2014 at 7.5 and tag him once after that. The tag for quarterbacks this upcoming year is gonna be just over 16 million.

That's under 24 million the next two years and then we would be negotiating with a 32 year old quarterback and it would give us the money to lock a few guys up while still being able to go out and get a couple more pieces to help us beat playoff teams in the coming years.

I'll be beyond thrilled if we can get one of the top safeties in the free agent class and then get a top flight offensive weapon with our first rounder.

Sure would be exciting.

If you let him play out this year at his current deal, he has a full year of post bye games, we are successful, you're probably looking 18 mil plus.

If you're confident that he's going to be that guy going forward here, and you can lock him in at 14 mil per now, I think you probably do that.

O.city
01-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Last off-season, I asked that question about who down the road would be in line for an extension/restructure.

Hali and Berry were mentioned then. Haven't gotten anything new.

Berry I get.

Hali being his age, I'm not sure pushing money down the road is a great idea.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2014, 09:55 PM

I'll be beyond thrilled if we can get one of the top safeties in the free agent class and then get a top flight offensive weapon with our first rounder. This FA class (as it currently sits) is star studded with safeties and the draft isn't.

Sure would be exciting.

There's no way I want to go into a tag situation with a quarterback. Having someone with a 16 million dollar price tag, and from a leadership standpoint, an unstable long-term situation, is not something I think the Chiefs want to do.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2014, 09:55 PM
Berry I get.

Hali being his age, I'm not sure pushing money down the road is a great idea.

Hali is only 29. I get that point, but I can't envision him playing at 11 million dollar cap # next year.

O.city
01-19-2014, 09:57 PM
No I'd doubt the 11 mil stands up.

I'd think they'd like to get that down in the 8 mil range at least.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 09:57 PM
I'm wondering what they plan to do with Flowers.

I still think we will have some cash for a good FA or three.

We are 2.5 under that can be rolled over
Cutting Dunta saves us 3.3
The cap should go up

Maybe we can rework Flowers, Hali and Berrys deals to save us 3-4 off each in terms of cap hit...that would make each deal somewhat reasonable.

O.city
01-19-2014, 09:58 PM
If we are smart about it, I don't see any reason we can't come up with 15+ mil to play with.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:00 PM
By the time the smoke clears, we could realistically have 15-20 million to spend.

I'm just saying I hope they use that money to add talent to the roster instead of treating this like the 2003 offseason where we didnt improve the roster and instead locked a couple guys up with the extra cap space.

We all remember 2004.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:02 PM
If we are smart about it, I don't see any reason we can't come up with 15+ mil to play with.

And I know not many will agree with me, but I'd have no problem if they took half that and threw it at a safety. Especially if we could get Byrd or TJ Ward...either of those guys would REALLY take this defense to the next level.

Especially in the same division as Manning and Rivers.

SAUTO

yep.

O.city
I don't think this coaching staff views this team in the same light as the Vermeil staff did. That was an extremely old roster.

This one isn't exactly the youngest, but point stands.

I'd imagine Smith is the only guy that would be locked up. Schwartz and a few of our own FA's but they won't break the bank.

There will be money to go get 2 or 3 toppish end guys.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:03 PM
And I know not many will agree with me, but I'd have no problem if they took half that and threw it at a safety. Especially if we could get Byrd or TJ Ward...either of those guys would REALLY take this defense to the next level.

Byrd, signed to a Gholdson deal wouldn't upset me at all. We need a playmaker at FS for sure.

There are alot of guys in free agency that can help us out this year.

RealSNR
01-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Seems people still don't want to commit to Alex Smith. If Reid and Co. think Alex is their guy then why would they not sign him long term? I'd sign him to a 6 year deal and spread out the cap hit making it cap friendly the first couple/3 years. It can always be re-done later.

Because Alex Smith is a QB with a concussion history. Six more years would put him at age 36.

I don't like those odds that he'll make it all 6 years.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Maybe they haven't extended Abdullah's deal because they want to upgrade that position this offseason.

One thing is FOR SURE...Andy Reid in is season ending press conference said heir biggest problem this year was the big plays they gave up.

That is a coaches way of saying "our safeties suck"

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:05 PM
I haven't really looked at the free agency list, but Byrd would be high on my list, as would a DE that can excel at rushing the passer.

Obviously, I think Maclin would be a good fit on a one year prove it deal with incentives.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Maybe they haven't extended Abdullah's deal because they want to upgrade that position this offseason.

One thing is FOR SURE...Andy Reid in is season ending press conference said heir biggest problem this year was the big plays they gave up.

That is a coaches way of saying "our safeties suck"

I'd say safety is pretty high on the list. I'm not sure WR is as high as we'd like to think though.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:11 PM
I haven't really looked at the free agency list, but Byrd would be high on my list, as would a DE that can excel at rushing the passer.

Obviously, I think Maclin would be a good fit on a one year prove it deal with incentives.

Have you ever used www.walterfootball.com?

They have good breakdowns of prospects in the draft and free agency.

As it sits right now, the following safeties are scheduled to be urfa this offseason

TJ Ward
Jarius Byrd
Donte Whitner
Chris Clemons
Major Wright
Stevie Brown
Mike Mitchell
Husein Abdullah

I think we have some decent in house replacements at DE that can give us a boost in the pass rush. Catapano, Haye and Bailey all showed that ability against SD.

philfree
Because Alex Smith is a QB with a concussion history. Six more years would put him at age 36.

I don't like those odds that he'll make it all 6 years.

I don't think he's at any more risk from concussions then any other QB. He just played a full season with no problem and from watching him play this season playing to 36 doesn't look a problem to me.

Sorter
Probably should resign Abdullah to move Berry back to SS in our 2-3-6.

He looked good playing Dime LB against Indy.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Have you ever used www.walterfootball.com?

They have good breakdowns of prospects in the draft and free agency.

As it sits right now, the following safeties are scheduled to be urfa this offseason

TJ Ward
Jarius Byrd
Donte Whitner
Chris Clemons
Major Wright
Stevie Brown
Mike Mitchell
Husein Abdullah

I've used it a little bit.

From that list, for what we need in this defensive scheme from a FS, I'd say Byrd is probably the best choice.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Probably should resign Abdullah to move Berry back to SS in our 2-3-6.

He looked good playing Dime LB against Indy.

Abdullah or Berry?

I agree if you mean Abdullah.

Although, Berry doesn't overly impress me in coverage. I think he's bulked up a bit too much.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2014, 10:15 PM
Chris Clemons is the only safety on that list that I think might be a target. Byrd is going to be too expensive.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Abdullah or Berry?

Although, Berry doesn't overly impress me in coverage. I think he's bulked up a bit too much.

I agree with that. Berry's added a lot of bulk and it's compromised some agility.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:17 PM
Chris Clemons is the only safety on that list that I think might be a target. Byrd is going to be too expensive.

If Byrd is asking for a Goldson type 8 mil per deal, we could squeeze him in. IF it's more, I doubt it.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:19 PM
The only thing that scares me off with Byrd is his price tag. He wants to be paid the highest among safeties and someone will give him that.

I know TJ Ward wouldn't mind getting out of Cleveland, but I'd bet they tag him.

Clemons could step right in and play FS and would have good communication with Sean Smith from their time in Miami. Not sure what he wants, though.

Donte Whitner would be a good get, but would leave us still needing a free safety.

If we can't get one of those, I hope they re-sign Abdullah and bring in a vet like Antione Bethea to round out the position. I really like his attitude and think he would be a nice fit at a reasonable cost.

Sorter
01-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Abdullah or Berry?

I'd rather have Abdullah playing the position in our 2-3-6 we're accustomed to seeing Berry play and move Berry back to safety (with occasional rotations back into that former spot specific to game-plan) for a variety of reasons.

Rasputin
01-19-2014, 10:22 PM
If this thing with Alex Smith doesn't work in next couple years can Chiefs fans consider drafting a top rank QB with our first draft pick? Give him time to develop and grow with the team?

The Bad Guy
01-19-2014, 10:23 PM
If Byrd is asking for a Goldson type 8 mil per deal, we could squeeze him in. IF it's more, I doubt it.

Way too much money tied into safeties.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:24 PM
Clinton McDonald from Seattle as a situational pass rusher would interest me. As would Maclin and Golden Tate.

If you could motivate him, Kenny Britt might come cheapish, but he's seems to malcontent and not a fit for Reids offense.

Donald Butler would be a great fit at ILB if the Chargers let him walk, next to DJ. We need another ILB who doesn't have to come off the field on 3rd downs. I'd potentially throw the vet min at Desmond Bishop and hoep he rebounds.

Chris Clemons would probably be my pick at FS.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:25 PM
I'd rather have Abdullah playing the position in our 2-3-6 we're accustomed to seeing Berry play and move Berry back to safety (with occasional rotations back into that former spot specific to game-plan) for a variety of reasons.

You know who would be another cheap option that I think could excel in that role?

Bernard Pollard.

O.city

I'd tend to agree, but with this defense, we need a playmaker at FS.

Sorter
You know who would be another cheap option that I think could excel in that role?

Bernard Pollard.

No.

Sorter
01-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Clinton McDonald from Seattle as a situational pass rusher would interest me. As would Maclin and Golden Tate.

If you could motivate him, Kenny Britt might come cheapish, but he's seems to malcontent and not a fit for Reids offense.

Donald Butler would be a great fit at ILB if the Chargers let him walk, next to DJ. We need another ILB who doesn't have to come off the field on 3rd downs. I'd potentially throw the vet min at Desmond Bishop and hoep he rebounds.

Chris Clemons would probably be my pick at FS.

*drools*

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Give me Clemons, Abdullah, Schwartz, Maclin and Butler.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:27 PM

5-10 years ago? I agree...today, in this division? I think it would be a wise investment.

Tying up 15 million into our 2 starting safeties would be money well spent, IMO.

Look at all the top defenses in football and look at their safeties.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:27 PM
*drools*

Right.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:28 PM
I figure the Chargers re up him, but Donald Butler might have just became my biggest want in the FA market, along with a FS.

BossChief

Id be THRILLED.

O.city

Could you sign those 5 with 12 million dollars? I'm not sure.

lcarus
01-19-2014, 10:29 PM
6 years on one game?

I saw him improve as the season wore on. I think a year under his belt in the Reid system and the addition of another good TE and/or WR, and he should do quite well.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:29 PM
No.

He was pretty good in the box and on special teams. It was when he was asked to cover deep that he was repeatedly exposed.

Sorter
01-19-2014, 10:30 PM
I figure the Chargers re up him, but Donald Butler might have just became my biggest want in the FA market, along with a FS.

I had no idea his contract was completed.

No way the Chargers let him walk IMO.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Could you sign those 5 with 12 million dollars? I'm not sure.

All but Butler? probably.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:31 PM
I had no idea his contract was completed.

No way the Chargers let him walk IMO.

I'd doubt it, but they did bring in Teo. Maybe they wanna let Butler move on. I dunno.

He'd be a fucking rock star fit next to DJ.

Sorter
01-19-2014, 10:32 PM
He was pretty good in the box and on special teams. It was when he was asked to cover deep that he was repeatedly exposed.

He's not very good playing man either.

BossChief
It can't be overstated that this defense needs to be built to stop Denver.

FA priority #1 should be to go get a safety that can force Peyton to dink and dunk. They need to take away the big pass plays right away if they want to have a shot at winning the division or winning playoff games next year.

O.city
Clemons is probably the safety I'd target.

The Bad Guy
5-10 years ago? I agree...today, in this division? I think it would be a wise investment.

Tying up 15 million into our 2 starting safeties would be money well spent, IMO.

Look at all the top defenses in football and look at their safeties.

I see the top defenses in the league. Thomas and Chancellor aren't making 15 mill combined. Whitner and Reid are making about 7 million combined.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:33 PM

FA priority #1 should be to go get a safety that can force Peyton to dink and dunk.

I don't think you necessarily build to beat just Denver, but just build to be the most complete team you can.

lcarus
01-19-2014, 10:33 PM

FA priority #1 should be to go get a safety that can force Peyton to dink and dunk.

This. We gave up so damn many big plays this year.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:34 PM
The best d's in the league are stocked with young, cost controlled talent. Thats gonna be changing in the future, hence, we need to pluck a few of the guys that become losses there that aren't commanding high dollars.

philfree
01-19-2014, 10:35 PM

Andrew Luck and the Colts as well.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-19-2014, 10:36 PM
I see the top defenses in the league. Thomas and Chancellor aren't making 15 mill combined. Whitner and Reid are making about 7 million combined.

Chancellor deal is 4 years 28m wait till Thomas get his new deal this off-season well over 15m combined.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Wonder if you could get Clemons for 4 years 25 mil.

BossChief

Unfortunately, this draft class doesn't have guys like that in it, though. There is only one safety that is thought of as a first round guy...also only one corner, too.

They need to make a move in free agency if they are wanting to significantly upgrade that position.

TLO

Bernard Pollard.

Not sure if serious...

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:38 PM
If you build a team that can stop Denver, you then have a team that can stop anyone.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm becoming of the belief that you should use FA to fill holes, opening up the draft to just add the best, most talented football players you can, no matter the position they play.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-19-2014, 10:39 PM
1. Extend Alex Smith

Corry isn’t sold on Smith but says the Chiefs can create upwards of $4 million of cap room by extending his contract.

“He has an $8 million cap number this year, so you could take his base salary down to the $855,000 minimum, give him a significant signing bonus and then have guarantees in the second and maybe the third year to create cap room for him,” Corry said.

A contract of $50 million over three years, like that of the Bears’ Jay Cutler, is believed to be in the ballpark of what Smith would command. So the other option is to let Smith play out his contract and franchise him in 2015 for what could be roughly $17 million.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/18/4761270/other-ways-the-chiefs-can-create.html#storylink=cpy

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Wonder if you could get Clemons for 4 years 25 mil.

Last year, William Moore signed 5/29.5...I don't think 4/24 would be unreasonable.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Chancellor deal is 4 years 28m wait till Thomas get his new deal this off-season well over 15m combined.

You're right it will be. But the Seahawks have to be very careful throwing that kind of money at Thomas when they will have Sherman, Okung, Bobby Wagner and Russell Wilson all commanding top dollar at their positions in the next 2-3 years.

O.city
That would be what I'd do then with Clemons.

Damn, now I'm all up in arms about Butler though. The Chargers won't let him walk, will they?

O.city
You're right it will be. But the Seahawks have to be very careful throwing that kind of money at Thomas when they will have Sherman, Okung, Bobby Wagner and Russell Wilson all commanding top dollar at their positions in the next 2-3 years.

Thats the problem. Some of those guys are walking.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2014, 10:42 PM

And it's not going to be Sherman, Wilson, so Thomas could be unless they get creative.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-19-2014, 10:43 PM

It's sucks when you draft well it kills you long term.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:43 PM
And it's not going to be Sherman, Wilson, so Thomas could be unless they get creative.

It won't be Wilson, thats for sure.

I think Thomas is a little overrated, but thats just IMHO.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:44 PM
It's sucks when you draft well it kills you long term.

I don't know about that.

Especially not if you can keep drafting well.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Also, that article is why I'd be more inclined to extend Smith. You can get creative and move the money around so that you can have more space.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Berry 11.6m 2014 8.3m 2015

You can free up about 5m just adding some years to his deal.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:49 PM
I'd also look at Chris Harris. He might come cheaper since he's coming off a torn ACL.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Even if we move money around in future years, you still have to pay the piper.

Alex Smith isn't worth 3 years 54 million like Cutler got (Cutler isnt, either) unless the cap is about to skyrocket...which it could. The new tv deals kick in soon.

That's a lot of revenue that needs spread around.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Berry 11.6m 2014 8.3m 2015

You can free up about 5m just adding some years to his deal.

Same with Hali and Flowers.

Flowers hits for 10.5
Hali for 11.5

Dunta 3.3
Rollover 2.5
Cap increase

MAKE IT RAIN, DORSEY.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:52 PM
It's a weird situation that is yet to be seen how it works out. If Smith is the perfect fit for Reids offense (maybe, maybe not) and his production continues to increase and or skyrocket, you could potentially be underpaying him by extending him this year.

If it goes the other way, you're boned.

If he plays the way he did in the playoff game for a good part of next year, he's worth that deal.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Flowers deal, per Rotoworld...

9/16/2011: Signed a six-year, $49.35 million contract. The deal contains $22 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus. $11 million of Flowers' guaranteed money is guaranteed for both skill and injury, although the other $11 million is guaranteed solely for injury. Another $1.25 million is available through escalators applicable to the final year. Flowers is eligible for annual $250,000 workout bonuses in seasons two through six. The Chiefs paid Flowers an additional $4 million "signing" bonus in the 2013 offseason. 2014: $5.25 million (+ $2 million reporting bonus), 2015: $6.25 million (+ $2 million reporting bonus), 2016: $6.5 million (+ $2 million reporting bonus), 2017: Free Agent

Tamba Hali

8/3/2011: Signed a five-year, $57.5 million contract. The deal contains $35 million guaranteed, including a $15 million signing bonus. An annual $250,000 workout bonus is available in years two through five. 2014: $6.25 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2015: $6.75 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2016: Free Agent

BossChief
01-19-2014, 10:55 PM
It's a weird situation that is yet to be seen how it works out. If Smith is the perfect fit for Reids offense (maybe, maybe not) and his production continues to increase and or skyrocket, you could potentially be underpaying him by extending him this year.

If it goes the other way, you're boned.

If he plays the way he did in the playoff game for a good part of next year, he's worth that deal.

If he wants too much, then they should start looking at guy in the draft in the next couple classes.

It's unwise to pay out contracts like that based on a small sample size.

What if he hurts the same shoulder for a third time? Gets another concussion? Doesn't play to that level?

philfree
01-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Dorsey has his work cut out. Smith, Berry, Hali and Flowers need new cap friendly deals. Houston needs a new contract as well.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:57 PM
If he wants too much, then they should start looking at guy in the draft in the next couple classes.

I agree.

But if he gets too much, and plays up to it, I don't have a problem with it. If the Alex Smith of the playoff game in Indy, shows up consistently next year, I'd take that over Cutler.

O.city
01-19-2014, 10:59 PM
What kills you more than guys walking, is paying them and them not producing to the level of the contract.

Chief Roundup
01-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Don't forget Houston is going to get a nice contract soon as well. That has to be figured into the cap.
I just don't see us locking up Houston, giving Alex Smith an extension, resigning a few of our key FA, Schwartz, Abdullah, etc. and then also get guys like Byrd, Ward, Maclin and so on. There is no where near enough more for that.
We might not gain cap room by extending Alex depending on the contract.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 11:01 PM
I think it's possible that Alex means what he says about being a team player in contract negotiations and will take something between 10-15 per year and that is a reason they gave up so much in draft picks to get him.

That's the optimist in me talking.

O.city
01-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Don't forget Houston is going to get a nice contract soon as well. That has to be figured into the cap.
I just don't see us locking up Houston, giving Alex Smith an extension, resigning a few of our key FA, Schwartz, Abdullah, etc. and then also get guys like Byrd, Ward, Maclin and so on. There is no where near enough more for that.
We might not gain cap room by extending Alex depending on the contract.

The Ravens signed Flacco to that crazy deal, and had enough to sign Dumervile.

The cap really is an arbitrary number that can be schemed around if you have good people in place.

BossChief
01-19-2014, 11:02 PM
What kills you more than guys walking, is paying them and them not producing to the level of the contract.

Bowe needs to have a big year in 2014 if he wants to continue to get paid at the level of his contract after that.

O.city
01-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Bowe needs to have a big year in 2014 if he wants to continue to get paid at the level of his contract after that.

I agree.

I just hope he shows up in great shape.

O.city
01-19-2014, 11:03 PM
If we could lock Smith up at 12 mil per year, we need to do that yesterday.

Chief Roundup
01-19-2014, 11:07 PM

I agree.

I just hope he shows up in great shape.

Is he even going to be able to play? I haven't heard all that much, but he is facing a year suspension last I knew.

O.city
01-19-2014, 11:07 PM
Is he even going to be able to play? I haven't heard all that much, but he is facing a year suspension last I knew.

Bowe?

What?

BossChief
01-19-2014, 11:09 PM
The Ravens signed Flacco to that crazy deal, and had enough to sign Dumervile.

The cap really is an arbitrary number that can be schemed around if you have good people in place.

One would have to think that Hali and Dumervil are similarly skilled players and would carry a similar value being they are the same age and have basically the same production.

Dumervil signed for 5 years, 25 million.

Here's his contract via rotoworld...

3/24/2013: Signed a five-year, $26 million contract. The deal contains $8.5 million guaranteed -- a $7.5 million signing bonus and Dumervil's first-year salary. Another $9 million is available through escalators and incentives. 2014: $1 million (+ $3.5 million option bonus), 2015-2016: $4 million, 2017: $5 million, 2018: Free Agent

If we could get Hali inked up for a similar restructure, I'd JIMP...that's actually realistic, too.

Chief Roundup
01-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Bowe?

What?

Yeah over his latest little pot trouble. His court date was postponed until sometime this month. If he is found guilty the good ole Mr. Goodell will come handing down some paperwork.

Chief Roundup
01-19-2014, 11:29 PM
One would have to think that Hali and Dumervil are similarly skilled players and would carry a similar value being they are the same age and have basically the same production.

Dumervil signed for 5 years, 25 million.

Here's his contract via rotoworld...

3/24/2013: Signed a five-year, $26 million contract. The deal contains $8.5 million guaranteed -- a $7.5 million signing bonus and Dumervil's first-year salary. Another $9 million is available through escalators and incentives. 2014: $1 million (+ $3.5 million option bonus), 2015-2016: $4 million, 2017: $5 million, 2018: Free Agent

If we could get Hali inked up for a similar restructure, I'd JIMP...that's actually realistic, too.

There are escalators that can make that contract up to 35 million for Dumervil.

BossChief
01-20-2014, 12:11 AM
There are escalators that can make that contract up to 35 million for Dumervil.

Yeah, but Hali's cap hit next year is over 11 million.

If we can get that to 6, that's huge.

ThaVirus
01-20-2014, 01:28 AM
I'd also look at Chris Harris. He might come cheaper since he's coming off a torn ACL.

The only player I want from that shit ass secondary is DRC.

Unless Harris came for a super sized bargain..

whoman69
01-20-2014, 08:50 AM
I got a headache just reading the thread starter

Chief Roundup
01-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Yeah, but Hali's cap hit next year is over 11 million.

If we can get that to 6, that's huge.

That would be huge. Don't expect that though. I don't believe he will take that kind of a pay cut, nor should he. I also don't believe the NFL would approve a restructure of that magnitude.

OldSchool
01-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Chiefs should really restructure Flowers given how poorly he played last season. No way is he worth 10 mil a year.

Chief Roundup
01-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Even if we were to restructure Hali, Flowers, and Berry at about 2 mil per player, that 6 mil will not be enough to cover the new deal Houston should get at about 10-12 year average. Then people want to extend Alex Smiths' contract which would raise his cap number. Then people think we can sign Byrd or Ward. Along with a couple of other veterans such as Maclin at WR not to mention we have Abdullah, Schwartz, and McCluster to resign.
There is not going to be enough money to make all of these moves people. We might get one or two middle tier FA and one lower tier FA. But I doubt we make the haul in FA like some of you have been plugging away at.