PDA

View Full Version : Life Interview Advice

Dante84
01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Hey, my dogs.

So, I've currently got a good job, though I'm pretty sick of it after 2.5 years, and I'm ready for more opportunity (see - bigger title, more $, and more happiness). My current company doesn't offer me any of these in the near future.

In early January, a buddy hit me up (former coworker at current company) to tell me that his new company has an open spot. New company is a bad-fucking ass, young company, and they don't fuck around with their interview process.

It would more than double my salary, and essentially be the new income floor for any job beyond this. Fantastic resume builder, but also a place I could see myself working in for years. If it knocks, an absolutely cannot pass it up.

That being said, in order to do these interviews, they've got me jumping through hoops. Just part of the process with a busy, growing company in a market where they have candidates lined up out the door.

I've taken 2 and half sick days already this month, with one day or less notice each time. They told me to come in tomorrow and meet with one of their Exec. higher ups, and I've got to fake sick AGAIN.

And then next week, I have one final meeting (hopefully!) with another higher up, and that should be a wrap. I've been told I'm the leading candidate, and the finish line is in sight.

My issue is that my current boss, who I'm cool with, has to think I'm dying of AIDS or something. I feel like a dick lying, and if for some reason I don't get this new job, I'll have a black mark by my name for being a sketchy POS. If I do get it, it will be pretty obvious I've been lying.

Anyone been through this? Advice for how to not burn a bridge or how to navigate carefully in this situation?

Rasputin
01-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Brush your teeth and use mouth wash.

Dante84
01-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Brush your teeth and use mouth wash.

Yeah, I should have said I have awesome hygiene and my scrotum resembles a plucked quail breast.

Rasputin
01-23-2014, 07:58 PM
For your question I think many of us had to play the game of job manipulation.

I've made a mistake once and told my boss I was going to look for a new job because I thought he was cool enough and I was just being honest. They found my replacement before I got hired other job.

Cephalic Trauma
01-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I should have said I have awesome hygiene and my scrotum resembles a plucked quail breast.

What the fuck? You took a razor to your scrotum?

Rasputin
01-23-2014, 08:00 PM
The #1 rule is watch out for #1 and don't step in #2.

Dayze
01-23-2014, 08:04 PM
ball powder.

the go with confidence.

Dante84
01-23-2014, 08:05 PM
What the fuck? You took a razor to your scrotum?

Oh yeah man. Smooth as a pair of eggs.

*jumbo eggs

Dayze
01-23-2014, 08:06 PM
lol. "* jumbo".

as in Ostrich?

Dante84
01-23-2014, 08:06 PM
ball powder.

the go with confidence.

Gold Bond well stocked and awaiting the chance to cling to my netherlands.

Dante84
01-23-2014, 08:07 PM
lol. "* jumbo".

as in Ostrich?

Hey man, your word, not mine.

But yes, Ostrich.

saphojunkie
01-23-2014, 08:09 PM
What kind of work do you do?

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Just tell your boss you are having trouble getting chicks knocked up and you need these days off to get semen evaluations. If he's any type of family man he'll surely understand.

HonestChieffan
01-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Yo dog, " and they don't **** around with their interview process." WTF did you just describe?

Abba-Dabba
01-23-2014, 08:11 PM
For your question I think many of us had to play the game of job manipulation.

I've made a mistake once and told my boss I was going to look for a new job because I thought he was cool enough and I was just being honest. They found my replacement before I got hired other job.

Your boss wouldn't have been doing the job they were hired for if he didn't find another person. I would have done the same thing, and have in the past.

It isn't a dick move, it's just business.

Cheater5
01-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Seems like they're pursuing you for a reason, and sometimes when swinging for the next vine you gotta let go before there's a firm grasp. By that I mean regardless you will survive, even if it goes to shite.

Take the shot, and ask to speak with your boss. Let him know that you are pursuing an opportunity that is a definite step up in responsibility and pay. Humility and honesty goes a long way; if he's a good man he will understand that good people desire to move upward. Explain that the situation arose suddenly, and it gained momentum rapidly.

I don't know all the facts, but don't quibble any longer with the current employer. You sound like this new position is just about hemmed up, so be the dude they're hoping to get and crush the interviews and be confident.

greatgooglymoogly
01-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Do what Spud did in Trainspotting - drink a milkshake, do a couple lines of cocaine and knock it out of the park.

Dante84
01-23-2014, 08:19 PM
What kind of work do you do?

Sales, Market Growth and Strategic Partnerships

Yo dog, " and they don't **** around with their interview process." WTF did you just describe?

Well, since this is football message board where we typically dick around, and since this isn't a formal interview with you all, I am seeking serious advice through assimilation and mirroring.

I make jokes, to earn trust, so that it breaks down barriers and people tell me their genuine thoughts while we all have a good time and share laughs.

If you must know.

Dante84
01-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Seems like they're pursuing you for a reason, and sometimes when swinging for the next vine you gotta let go before there's a firm grasp. By that I mean regardless you will survive, even if it goes to shite.

Take the shot, and ask to speak with your boss. Let him know that you are pursuing an opportunity that is a definite step up in responsibility and pay. Humility and honesty goes a long way; if he's a good man he will understand that good people desire to move upward. Explain that the situation arose suddenly, and it gained momentum rapidly.

I don't know all the facts, but don't quibble any longer with the current employer. You sound like this new position is just about hemmed up, so be the dude they're hoping to get and crush the interviews and be confident.

Yeah, that's that real shit.

Thanks man.

Rain Man
01-23-2014, 08:31 PM
If you don't normally call in sick and you're doing it a lot, and then you come in fine in the intervening times, they probably already know that you're interviewing. Been there, observed that.

Anyway, there's not much you can do about it. If possible, you should be taking vacation days instead of sick days, because as an employer that's what would tick me off the most and cause my bridge to start burning. I recognize that you can't take vacation days impromptu in some jobs, though, and I don't know your situation.

If you get hired, you might mention this to them after a year or so of proving yourself, so it doesn't cause problems for future candidates. Your new company probably isn't thinking about it.

And as a final note, your friend can probably tell you about the culture, but as a job candidate I would make a negative note of this from a culture perspective. If they can't figure out that you have a job and are making you come in repeatedly during the middle of the day, that's really kind of rude and indicates that they aren't empathetic.

saphojunkie
01-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Sales, Market Growth and Strategic Partnerships

I don't know what that means. I have a fake job.

Is this the sort of field where these opportunities come up a lot? Are these sort of start up companies common? Does this new job have less stability than your current one?

What is the trade off, here?

Dante84
01-23-2014, 08:38 PM
If you don't normally call in sick and you're doing it a lot, and then you come in fine in the intervening times, they probably already know that you're interviewing. Been there, observed that.

Anyway, there's not much you can do about it. If possible, you should be taking vacation days instead of sick days, because as an employer that's what would tick me off the most and cause my bridge to start burning. I recognize that you can't take vacation days impromptu in some jobs, though, and I don't know your situation.

If you get hired, you might mention this to them after a year or so of proving yourself, so it doesn't cause problems for future candidates. Your new company probably isn't thinking about it.

And as a final note, your friend can probably tell you about the culture, but as a job candidate I would make a negative note of this from a culture perspective. If they can't figure out that you have a job and are making you come in repeatedly during the middle of the day, that's really kind of rude and indicates that they aren't empathetic.

I wish I could use the Vacation, but too short of notice unfortunately. Either sick or no-show, so sick it is.

The culture is pretty awesome from all other angles. Yeah, this sucks, but some of it is brought on by me being extremely accommodating. I can't really say "no, lets reschedule" when this guy is flying to Europe next week; there's probably 10 of me's he could meet with, and when he asks, I will be there.

I just feel like a dick to my current job, and am pretty scared of fucking myself should the offer not come.

Dayze
01-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Hey man, your word, not mine.

But yes, Ostrich.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/45171095.jpg

Mr_Tomahawk
01-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Has SR sent you shoes yet?

RippedmyFlesh
01-23-2014, 08:43 PM
If they can't figure out that you have a job and are making you come in repeatedly during the middle of the day, that's really kind of rude and indicates that they aren't empathetic.

This
I was hired away from a rival company a few years ago and the first thing
I said when they contacted me was I am not doing this on my current company's time.
And don't say anything to current employer until you have offer. That is career suicide. I can't believe someone here would suggest such a thing.

Dayze
01-23-2014, 08:44 PM
This
I said when they contacted me was I am not doing this on my current company's time.
And don't say anything to current employer until you have offer. That is career suicide. I can't believe someone here would suggest such a thing.

me as well.

Dante84
01-23-2014, 08:44 PM
I don't know what that means. I have a fake job.

Is this the sort of field where these opportunities come up a lot? Are these sort of start up companies common? Does this new job have less stability than your current one?

What is the trade off, here?

Its a wide, wide field, my friend. The floor is sitting in a phone farm asking people to renew their phone service, and the ceiling is major mergers and acquisitions.

Yes, opportunities come up a lot. No, not at this level, or for this type of company. It will likely be bought out within the next two years, which would mean a whole lot of money, if I have options. It also might mean i get shit-canned, but I'd land on my feet.

The trade off is that I would leave a job that pays my bills and leaves a little for fun on the weekend, where I would be comfortable yet unfulfilled and would certainly be settling. I would take a job that more than doubles my salary, would get me out of debt on the very first paycheck (only a little left!) and would allow me to save for my first house, the ring if and when, etc.... Also, perks and benefits are insane.

Dante84
01-23-2014, 08:46 PM
This

Yeah, wouldn't ever.

I dont really have the negotiating power to flex and say "lets deal on my time." I'm hopping the fuck to.

Dayze
01-23-2014, 08:56 PM
mention something like you have a responsibility at your current job, and while you're seriously interested in the position, you'd rather meet after work hours if at all possible because you have respect for your current employer. Or something like that. They might like that you take your current job seriously.

RippedmyFlesh
01-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Yeah, wouldn't ever.

I dont really have the negotiating power to flex and say "lets deal on my time." I'm hopping the fuck to.

Good I was worried. Good luck and just be yourself and you'll nail it.

afchief
01-23-2014, 10:29 PM

They inspect your scrotum at the interview and lots of guys are lined up to take your spot :eek.

Good luck but remember going after the dollars usually calls for more hours, more stress and bigger headaches. The higher you reach the better the view but the farther the drop. Go after what your happiness requires (hopefully with a little cash to spare).

NewChief
01-23-2014, 11:09 PM
On the sick day thing: at a certain point you should tell the interviewing company that you need to do subsequent meetings outside your work schedule as you have obligations to your current job. Should they hire you, they can expect you to extend the same loyalty and conscientiousness to them.

Cornstock
01-23-2014, 11:12 PM
This new job sounds pretty sick. I want to do what you do.

mcan
01-23-2014, 11:25 PM
It's a test. They want to see how many times you'll lie to your current employer, and where you're "line" is as far as how much they can push you around once you're there. Good luck with your new career!

I'm just kiddin' :)

Dante84
01-24-2014, 12:03 AM
On the sick day thing: at a certain point you should tell the interviewing company that you need to do subsequent meetings outside your work schedule as you have obligations to your current job. Should they hire you, they can expect you to extend the same loyalty and conscientiousness to them.

I would prefer to do it this way, however the interviews are escalating in importance, and those guys have tougher schedules to fit in with. I also was not anticipating various rounds, but its like they are escalating me up, so I have to be flexible.

I just hope they appreciate my flexibility, is all.

DaWolf
01-24-2014, 12:50 AM
If you don't normally call in sick and you're doing it a lot, and then you come in fine in the intervening times, they probably already know that you're interviewing.

Agreed. I've seen this before as a manager and would be shocked if it wasn't already suspected in this case...

Sorter
01-24-2014, 12:56 AM
Hey, my dogs.

So, I've currently got a good job, though I'm pretty sick of it after 2.5 years, and I'm ready for more opportunity (see - bigger title, more $, and more happiness). My current company doesn't offer me any of these in the near future.

In early January, a buddy hit me up (former coworker at current company) to tell me that his new company has an open spot. New company is a bad-fucking ass, young company, and they don't fuck around with their interview process.

It would more than double my salary, and essentially be the new income floor for any job beyond this. Fantastic resume builder, but also a place I could see myself working in for years. If it knocks, an absolutely cannot pass it up.

That being said, in order to do these interviews, they've got me jumping through hoops. Just part of the process with a busy, growing company in a market where they have candidates lined up out the door.

I've taken 2 and half sick days already this month, with one day or less notice each time. They told me to come in tomorrow and meet with one of their Exec. higher ups, and I've got to fake sick AGAIN.

And then next week, I have one final meeting (hopefully!) with another higher up, and that should be a wrap. I've been told I'm the leading candidate, and the finish line is in sight.

My issue is that my current boss, who I'm cool with, has to think I'm dying of AIDS or something. I feel like a dick lying, and if for some reason I don't get this new job, I'll have a black mark by my name for being a sketchy POS. If I do get it, it will be pretty obvious I've been lying.

Anyone been through this? Advice for how to not burn a bridge or how to navigate carefully in this situation?

Why don't you explain this part to your current employer(s)

in a respectful manner. If they truly feel you're valuable, they'll do their best to match.

Sorter
01-24-2014, 12:59 AM
If they don't, you could tell them to fuck off and spend the rest of your life dedicating yourself to success and then throwing it in your former employer(s) face(s) repeatedly for a good 40+ years.

Dante84
01-24-2014, 01:12 AM

Because it would get me fired before I have received an offer from another employer, thus leaving open the possibility of having no job.

in a respectful manner. If they truly feel you're valuable, they'll do their best to match.

They cannot match the level or pay as the amount of opportunity does not exist in my current company. Plus, I've mentally moved on because of the lack of opportunity - I should have left a year ago but I've been complacent with a risk free job and steady pay. Time for me to grow and make moves so I can live the life I want and retire at an age I want.

Sorter
01-24-2014, 01:15 AM
They cannot match the level or pay as the amount of opportunity does not exist in my current company. Plus, I've mentally moved on because of the lack of opportunity - I should have left a year ago but I've been complacent with a risk free job and steady pay. Time for me to grow and make moves so I can live the life I want and retire at an age I want.

Go get it tiger!!!

Dante84
01-24-2014, 01:15 AM
If they don't, you could tell them to fuck off and spend the rest of your life dedicating yourself to success and then throwing it in your former employer(s) face(s) repeatedly for a good 40+ years.

Haha that's the goal!

Sorter
01-24-2014, 01:19 AM
Haha that's the goal!

Don't let others steer you from this path.

There are definitely going to be people who later come along and say "You should drop it" or "It's not worth it" or "Can't you just forgive and forget?".

J Diddy
01-24-2014, 01:24 AM
First thing you got to do is to get some really funky breath. You might have to eat out of a dead ass's ass to get the odor right, but you'll know it when you have it. Next is to be all up in the personal space of your current boss. You want him smelling your ass breath in his sleep.

A couple of days of this then hit him with Man I got in to see this miracle dentist and then go to the other job.

Remember the important part: Get your teeth cleaned before your interview.

Tiger blood.

Sorter
01-24-2014, 01:28 AM
First thing you got to do is to get some really funky breath. You might have to eat out of a dead ass's ass to get the odor right, but you'll know it when you have it. Next is to be all up in the personal space of your current boss. You want him smelling your ass breath in his sleep.

A couple of days of this then hit him with Man I got in to see this miracle dentist and then go to the other job.

Remember the important part: Tiger blood.

If you have Tiger blood, you won't need to clean your teeth.

RippedmyFlesh
01-24-2014, 01:38 AM

Because that never works. Once you decide to walk you go. Even if a company matched I would walk. Someone who wants to pay you considerably more than people that see you everyday you don't walk you run to them because you have already sold your potential to them which is not an easy thing to do.

Sorter
01-24-2014, 01:42 AM
Because that never works. Once you decide to walk you go. Even if a company matched I would walk. Someone who wants to pay you considerably more than people that see you everyday you don't walk you run to them because you have already sold your potential to them which is not an easy thing to do.

Depends on your job.

RippedmyFlesh
01-24-2014, 01:48 AM
Depends on your job.

That is true. The problem if you stay is they feel like you have a wondering eye.
My wife when were single used to yell at me for wearing mirrored sunglasses because she couldn't see if I was checking out others. For her I stopped wearing them so I knew she had me at that point.

Sorter
01-24-2014, 01:50 AM
That is true. The problem if you stay they feel like you have a wondering eye. My wife when were single used to yell at me for wearing mirrored sunglasses because she couldn't see if I was checking out others. For her I stopped wearing them so I knew she had me at that point.

Should have messed with her and wore them constantly.

http://static.tumblr.com/b9bnmyq/9Xsm43f45/loki_wink_sort_of.gif

RippedmyFlesh
01-24-2014, 02:05 AM
Should have messed with her and wore them constantly.

http://static.tumblr.com/b9bnmyq/9Xsm43f45/loki_wink_sort_of.gif

She didn't rant about she would just give subtle digs like looking at them and fix her hair like she was looking in a mirror.

Predarat
01-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Wow sounds exactly what I have been going through and still am. My current company has a 'temporary possibly more permanent' fix, but if that goes away I will be looking again, this time more aggressively. Some companies understand and will schedule interviews in your favor, but with the job market on their side most will not so its a tough situation. If you have children, they get sick too, and the flu is going around pretty bad nowdays. If not thats out the window as a reason. Also sometimes you need a docs appointment but they also need lab work and tests done. At times a follow up to adjust your medicine levels. Then the dentist, a check up, but they find a cavity and you have to go in again. But suddenly a toothache happens and you may need to go in suddenly. In the end it seems if you give the two week notice and do your best to wrap things up and transition to your replacement, the former employer will appreciate that. Even offer assistance after you leave to help with soothing the bridge burning. Hope they do not take you up on it though haha.

Dante84
01-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Welp, I got the job.

Sitting here crying at my desk right now (man tears). This is one of the best days of my life.

Hi Dante84,

Feedback was positive!

We'd like to make you an offer to start on 2/10/14 if that is at all possible. I should have an offer letter to you in the next day or so, I will do my best. :)

Can you confirm if that start date works for you?

Congratulations! I know the team is excited to have you join. I am waiting on our CFO to return from his travel, but should have you an offer letter to review in the next day.

ThaVirus
01-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Congratulations!

J Diddy
01-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Welp, I got the job.

Sitting here crying at my desk right now (man tears). This is one of the best days of my life.

So what you're saying is that it wasn't you but rather MTG all along?

Congrats!

ptlyon
01-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Congrats. Remember they always like the new guy who brings donuts or treats of some kind his first week.

Rain Man
01-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Congrats, dude. Remember us as you climb the corporate ladder and perhaps need market research or demographics.

Dante84
01-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks bros. I might vomit.

Rain Man
01-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks bros. I might vomit.

You want to make a strong first impression, but also a good one. I would suggest not vomiting, at least not on your first day.

J Diddy
01-28-2014, 11:17 AM
You want to make a strong first impression, but also a good one. I would suggest not vomiting, at least not on your first day.

On the other hand, since he's still working at the job he called in sick for to get this one it might solidify his alibi.

Dante84
01-28-2014, 11:36 AM

Oh i just meant now, on my current employer's floor.

nice little "fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, I'm out" moment

Dante84
01-28-2014, 11:36 AM
On the other hand, since he's still working at the job he called in sick for to get this one it might solidify his alibi.

I'm in sales, so i've got to sell it.

Rausch
01-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Oh i just meant now, on my current employer's floor.

nice little "**** you, **** you, you're cool, I'm out" moment

Be sure to rat out all your coworkers that pilfered from the company during your exit interview...

Steron
01-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Spend the rest of your day texting 38D.

Predarat
01-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Awesome news, congrats on you new job!

Rasputin
01-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Awesome news, congrats on you new job!

That is awesome news, he must have took my advice and brushed his teeth. I expect rep in return. Your welcome.

Dante84
08-17-2014, 05:18 PM
It's been a crazy 6 months.

In week 7, our company merged with another company, and our sales department went through an entire re-org. New products, new people, new leadership. It's been a crazy experience, but all moves have been positive and logical. Naturally, there have been growing pains.

My entire team, save myself and one other, were promoted. They had all been there for more than a year, and us the two of us had only been there for 3 months at the time of re-org. They placed us on a team of similar focus that was on the other half of the company. The girl who was with me that made the move couldn't handle, and quit.

I've been the lone soldier from my half of the company on this team of 8, and I've been fortunate enough to be kicking ass. I put in time to learn the other products, and have put in many extra hours. The proof is in the pudding, and my numbers more than double the next closest person.

The group of folks that I was working with when I first started, who all were promoted to the new team, all seem to love their position. One of the guys is leaving in 2 weeks though, and so there is an opening.

Tomorrow, I'm going to sit down with the recruiting lady, who I am friends with, to let her know I'm interested. Assuming she thinks its a good idea, I'm going to then schedule time with the manager of that team to chat about why I'm interested.

It's going to require me to work harder than I have ever worked before, but it would be a 50% raise.

So, in January, I was making X. I earned this job in February, and I started making X+X. Now, in August, if all things pan out, I could be making X+X+X.

Higher risk, but higher reward. Part of me wants to stay where I'm safe and doing well, but its not every day when you can try to make that kind of jump.

Otter
08-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Put your feet up on his desk when you sit down. It's a sign of dominace.

JoeyChuckles
08-17-2014, 05:51 PM
The second you feel comfortable and safe in your job is the right time to start looking to move up.