PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Welp, let's find a RB.

Direckshun
01-24-2014, 11:56 AM
With the news that Knile may not make it back for the start of the season, that leaves our RB depth chart at Week 1 with:

Jamaal Charles
Cyrus Gray

So... we need a RB.

But it's a delicate situation. We need a guy who can ideally rest Charles for about 5-10 carries a game, since giving Charles the ball every. single. down is not viable solution. But this team is still invested in Davis, and will probably restore him to the #2 RB by at least the middle of 2014's season.

So a serious investment at the RB position with a high draft pick doesn't make a lot of sense, because we have Charles and we spent a 3rd last year on a guy who's panned out when healthy.

And we can't make a primo investment in free agency for the same reason, also because our cap will be better spent on a safety, WR, and/or DL.

But, again, at the same time, you want a guy who you can expect to pick up carries.

What gameplan do you like?

Here are the FA RBs, via Walter Football:

Ben Tate, Texans. Age: 26.
Knowshon Moreno, Broncos. Age: 27.
Andre Brown, RB, Giants. Age: 27.
LeGarrette Blount, RB, Patriots. Age: 27.
Darren McFadden, RB, Raiders. Age: 27.
Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, Jaguars. Age: 29.
Donald Brown, RB, Colts. Age: 27.
Rashad Jennings, RB, Raiders. Age: 29.
Joique Bell (RFA), RB, Lions. Age: 28.
James Starks, RB, Packers. Age: 28.
Ahmad Bradshaw, RB, Colts. Age: 28.
Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Cardinals. Age: 27.
Toby Gerhart, RB, Vikings. Age: 27.
Brian Leonard, RB, Buccaneers. Age: 30.
Jordan Todman, RB, Jaguars. Age: 24.
Felix Jones, RB, Steelers. Age: 27.
Ronnie Brown, RB, Chargers. Age: 32.
Fozzy Whittaker, RB, Browns. Age: 25.
La'Rod Stephens-Howling, RB, Steelers. Age: 27.
Anthony Dixon, RB, 49ers. Age: 26.
Phillip Tanner, RB, Cowboys. Age: 26.
Willis McGahee, RB, Browns. Age: 32.
Bernard Scott, RB, Ravens. Age: 30.
Kahlil Bell, RB, Packers. Age: 27.
Alfonso Smith (RFA), RB, Cardinals. Age: 27.

Here's the backs projected to be drafted, via Draft Tek:

1st round talent:

2nd round talent:

Bishop Sankey, Washington
Jeremy Hil, LSU
Tre Mason, Auburn

3rd round talent:

De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon
Carlos Hyde, Ohio State
Ka'Deem Carey, Arizona
Lache Seastrunk, Baylor

4th:

Charles Sims, West Virginia

5th:

Andre Williams, Boston College
Terrance West, Towson
Marion Grice, Arizona State
Devonta Freeman, Florida State
James Wilder Jr., Florida

6th:

Josh Huff, Oregon

7th:

Antonio Andrews, Western Kentucky
Dri Archer, Kent State

Direckshun
01-24-2014, 11:58 AM
I think you go with an "older" RB that can give you about half a season, and/or a mid-rounder (which is clearly where most of the RB talent bottlenecks in this year's draft). Or somebody who's just a really good role player.

My picks would be Anthony Dixon from the 49ers, and/or Andre Williams from Boston College.

El Jefe
01-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Carlos Hyde is the best RB in this draft, period. He will be selected in the late 1st or early second at the latest.

CaliforniaChief
01-24-2014, 12:00 PM
I'd say a low draft pick or low-priced FA. Hopefully Charles can carry the full load until Davis gets back.

If I had to choose, I'd take Williams from BC.

Kman34
01-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Maurice Jones-Drew is going to be a free agent. Might work for awhile

The Franchise
01-24-2014, 12:04 PM
We should have signed Cierre Wood when we had the chance.

Direckshun
01-24-2014, 12:05 PM
I'd really like Toby Gerhart here, to be honest.

But it wouldn't be a good fit. Again, because Gerhart has played reliably well, so he should be expecting a multi-year deal, though the price would otherwise be right for us. And Gerhart's too good to sit when Davis comes back, and Davis is too good to sit if he's 100% healthy.

We really do just need somebody who can play really well for about half a season that won't break the bank. Which is why I'd expect (a.) a midrounder to get drafted, or (b.) for this team to sign a guy they can feel good benching half a year.

suds79
01-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Can't stand FA RBs. Always have felt like that's a young man's position with a limited shelf life.

We had a rookie this year we saw good things from. Can do it again. Draft a guy mid to late & play him when Jamaal needs a rest.

Direckshun
01-24-2014, 12:08 PM

This is going to sound weird, but: you need to get somebody you can bench.

Even if MJD is on his last legs, you can't bench him entirely and he's not going to play special teams.

I'm not going to bench MJD when Davis returns, and I don't want to bench Davis when he's 100% healthy.

It's going to have to be somebody who can play, but you can bench.

In58men
01-24-2014, 12:09 PM

I figured Raiders will let McFadden go and bring in MJD. I can easily see MJD with Oakland.

Direckshun
01-24-2014, 12:09 PM
For the record, I really like Cyrus Gray.

Just for the record.

If it were up to me, I'd just roll with Charles/Gray and bring in McCluster for some spare carries.

"This" me if that sounds agreeable.

The Franchise
01-24-2014, 12:11 PM
Reportedly our scouts have been talking to Charles Sims out of West Virginia.

Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia
Height: 6-0. Weight: 213.
Projected 40 Time: 4.53.
Projected Round (2014): 3-4.
12/21/13: Sims played well for West Virginia in 2013 with an average of 5.3 yards per carry for 1,095 yards with 11 touchdowns on 208 carries. As a receiver, he had 45 receptions for 401 yards and three scores.

After playing well at Houston, Sims transferred to West Virginia before the 2013 season. The senior didn't have to sit a season due to having completed his undergraduate degree.

Sims averaged six yards per carry for the Cougars last year as he ran for 851 yards with 11 touchdowns on 142 carries. The junior also caught 37 passes for 373 yards and three touchdowns. He ran for 821 yards and nine touchdowns in 2011 and 698 yards with nine scores as a freshman.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n_ZLITZeRZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ChiTown
01-24-2014, 12:13 PM

Just for the record.

If it were up to me, I'd just roll with Charles/Gray and bring in McCluster for some spare carries.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/1026161/no-god-no-o.gif

Direckshun
01-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Sims is pretty damn impressive. If he lasts to the 4th we should give it a good look.

The Franchise
01-24-2014, 12:14 PM
FA wise....I'd take a look at Anthony Dixon. That 49er backfield is going to be even more crowded with Lattimore next year. I don't see them keeping Dixon.

T-post Tom
01-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Anthony Sherman can run the ball. He's no Tony Richardson or Kimball Anders, but a combo of Sherman/McCluster would serve behind Charles/Gray until Davis is healthy. jmho

ThaVirus
01-24-2014, 12:18 PM

Just for the record.

I felt we should have done that in the playoff game.

I think the guy averages around 4.5 YPC over the course of his career.

CaliforniaChief
Sims does look to have the kind of skill set that matches our offense. Can catch and run...

mcaj22
doesn't that come down to McClusters asking price

he's going to test the market. Some other team might overpay for him

The Franchise
01-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Sims does look to have the kind of skill set that matches our offense. Can catch and run...

Yeah....it would suck, at least IMO, to have to spend a 4th round pick on a RB after just having spent a 3rd on one last year. Obviously, they weren't planning on Davis getting injured....but damn. On the other hand....I can see the value in having replaceable pieces and quality depth.

O.city
01-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Everyone always talks about needing a big back to compliment Charles. F that noise, how about another Charles type player.

D Anthony Thomas or Henry josey in the fourth would compliment him pretty nicely.

The Franchise
01-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Henry Josey isn't going in the 4th. Think later.

O.city
01-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Yeah....it would suck, at least IMO, to have to spend a 4th round pick on a RB after just having spent a 3rd on one last year. Obviously, they weren't planning on Davis getting injured....but damn. On the other hand....I can see the value in having replaceable pieces and quality depth.

Thing is, with Reid and his screen game, it's a position that will absolutely e utilized.

So if a playmaker is available there in the 4, take him

htismaqe
01-24-2014, 12:22 PM
One of the knocks on Davis coming out was that he couldn't stay healthy. This is very bad news.

O.city
01-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Henry Josey isn't going in the 4th. Think later.

I don't know. Depends how he tests. I'd imagine he's a 5th ish type player but I he checks out and runs well, who knows

O.city
01-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Actually, I probably wouldn't take one until the 4 at the earliest

BlackHelicopters
01-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Fumbles and injuries

Easy 6
01-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Blount would be nice, but we arent going to spend that kinda money at this spot I'd bet.

ChiTown
01-24-2014, 12:27 PM
One of the knocks on Davis coming out was that he couldn't stay healthy. This is very bad news.

He had two primary knocks:

1.) Health and resiliency issues

2.) Fumble-itis

OrtonsPiercedTaint
01-24-2014, 12:32 PM
work with what you have. Powe or Daniel

Jakemall
01-24-2014, 12:37 PM
I think you go with an "older" RB that can give you about half a season, and/or a mid-rounder (which is clearly where most of the RB talent bottlenecks in this year's draft). Or somebody who's just a really good role player.

My picks would be Anthony Dixon from the 49ers, and/or Andre Williams from Boston College.

Dixon gives you a slash player...

Hb / FB / Special teams. He's not a great HB...but he's solid for those and 1 situations. He's also pretty decent at pass blocking. You can't have Rathman as your coach and not know how to pass block.

htismaqe
01-24-2014, 12:38 PM
He had two primary knocks:

1.) Health and resiliency issues

2.) Fumble-itis

One of those is potentially correctable. One of them, unfortunately, is not.

FRCDFED
01-24-2014, 12:41 PM

Sims has good size/speed and I like his running style. He would be a good fit. I know McCluster has earned some rep on here lately but if he left via FA then Sims would be a good RB to replace him.

I know, I know.......McCluster has been playing in the slot. Just saying Sims would ease the sting of losing McCluster if it happened.

TimBone
01-24-2014, 12:42 PM
I like Toby Gerhart.

beach tribe
01-24-2014, 12:59 PM
I would pick the highest rated RB available in the 6th.

I think RBs picked in later rounds have the best chance of any position of making a roster and contributing.

Decent RBs are picked up in the late rounds in every draft.

With the leadership this team has, I would pick the RB that falls way down based on off the field shit ala' L. Blount.

There is one in almost every draft, and every year I'm pissed that we pass and they end up being good.

Still pissed that we didn't use a pick on Blount or Burfict.

Eureka
01-24-2014, 01:05 PM
McFadden or mjd would be a nice combo with Charles.

T-post Tom
01-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Maybe Joe McKnight will pan out. (He's still young & was a 4th round pick.)

Demonpenz
01-24-2014, 01:15 PM
surprise...white people love Toby Gerhart.

ChiTown
01-24-2014, 01:18 PM

:LOL: and Brian Shay:evil:

OldSchool
01-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Starks and Jennings would be decent depth signings.

beach tribe
01-24-2014, 01:22 PM

Why does every post you make these days seem like ThatCry hacked your account?

Is it white guilt, or what?

patteeu
01-24-2014, 01:48 PM
McFadden or mjd would be a nice combo with Charles.

And McFadden could also spell Davis in the training room.

Jimmya
01-24-2014, 01:49 PM
True about the 49ers

tyton75
01-24-2014, 01:54 PM
7th rounder and/or bring in a bunch of rookie FA's to battle it out in camp for the spot.

Bowser
01-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Me being the homer, Josey in the fifth or sixth would be great. Pest's views on Dixon are solid, and I forgot about McKnight. Hopefully he can turn it around, and the chances may be good, because when I think about the Jets offense, all I think is clusterfuck.

patteeu
01-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Me being the homer, Josey in the fifth or sixth would be great. Pest's views on Dixon are solid, and I forgot about McKnight. Hopefully he can turn it around, and the chances may be good, because when I think about the Jets offense, all I think is clusterfuck.

We could go full homer and take both Josey and James Wilder's son.

R8RFAN
01-24-2014, 02:26 PM
DMC will be available soon.... Cheap

kcfanXIII
01-24-2014, 02:27 PM
And McFadden could also spell Davis in the training room.

I was gonna say, "and you wouldn't have to bench him because he'll hurt himself."

Jiu Jitsu Jon
01-24-2014, 02:29 PM
DMC will be available soon.... Cheap

DAMN IT! Now who will we run up the middle for no gain?

Braincase
Draft an undervalued RB that put up reasonable numbers in spite of a sucky offensive line.

Bowser
DAMN IT! Now who will we run up the middle for no gain?

Does it matter? That play has turned into a staple for the Raiders, no matter who the running back is.

The Franchise
01-24-2014, 02:31 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u2fgnrK5dUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Easy 6
01-24-2014, 02:34 PM
surprise...white people love Toby Gerhart

And black people love Tiger Woods and the Williams sisters, so what.

The Franchise
01-24-2014, 02:34 PM
If he was cheap....I'd rather bring in Dixon over drafting another RB.

LoneWolf
01-24-2014, 03:36 PM
What's all the talk about Davis not being ready for the season? I thought he broke his leg and sprained his knee. That should not be anything that keeps him out until after the season starts.

Jakemall
01-24-2014, 03:40 PM
If he was cheap....I'd rather bring in Dixon over drafting another RB.

He'll be fairly cheap...and again he's a swiss army knife. HB, FB and solid STs

threebag
01-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Isn't Charles suppose to hold out? Thought I read that on Chiefsplanet.

ct
01-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Fullback, done

Anthony Sherman can run the ball. He's no Tony Richardson or Kimball Anders, but a combo of Sherman/McCluster would serve behind Charles/Gray until Davis is healthy. jmho

Well Q

HemiEd
01-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Give me Moreno or Bradshaw in FA, it will accomplish two things. Fuck both of their current teams!

Buehler445
01-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Sims is pretty damn impressive. If he lasts to the 4th we should give it a good look.

Yeah. He was the KU offense, largely.

I'd like him and Pierson in red. Most of the rest of KU is trash.

O.city
01-24-2014, 05:36 PM
I think Josey has alot of Charles type player in him, if he's there in the 5th, I'd take him.

LoneWolf
01-24-2014, 06:10 PM
I just don't see the need to waste a draft pick on a RB. Charles and Davis are both signed for next season and I don't see any reason that Davis wouldn't be healthy by training camp. There are too many other holes on the roster to waste valuable draft picks on a 3rd string running back. Free agency dollars are also going to be tight. I'd rather see the Chiefs spend their available cap room on bolstering the WR corp and getting a FS.

The Franchise
01-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Yeah. He was the KU offense, largely.

I'd like him and Pierson in red. Most of the rest of KU is trash.

Huh? Sims played for West Virginia.

dallaschiefsfan
01-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Three things -

1. Didn't I read earlier today that Davis only has a fractured fibula and strained knee? How on earth does that keep him out of training camp, let alone the start of the season?!?

2. We signed Joe McNight. It was hailed as a smart, buy-low, take a flyer move by Dorsey. I agree with this. Seems we're stocking inventory already.

3. I would be pretty disappointed if we drafted anyone OR signed a free agent. Both would be a waste IMO. If you GOT to have another back, go after the best free agent rook that didn't get drafted.

ILChief
01-24-2014, 06:30 PM
Where is this news Davis won't be ready?

Just Passin' By
01-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Why should anyone care if someone beats out Davis for backup carries?

Mr. Laz
01-24-2014, 08:04 PM
quite a few RBs in the draft this year, i believe

More draft options generally means lower prices for FA RBs too.

J Diddy
01-24-2014, 08:08 PM

Which explains why he was noticeably absent from the Jayhawk's huddle.

Buehler445
01-24-2014, 08:52 PM

My bad. Wrong sims.

L.A. Chieffan
01-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Thomas Jones available?

Dunerdr
01-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Are there any other sources saying boobie won't be ready?

Chief Roundup
01-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Well IF we draft one I would imagine it would be in the later rounds. We did just sign a RB in Joe McKnight. I am not saying he is great or anything but he will only be 26 here in a couple of months and appears to be a pretty decent returner.

ILChief
01-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Are there any other sources saying boobie won't be ready?

The OP in this thread is the only time I've heard of this

Mr. Flopnuts
01-25-2014, 06:12 AM
2 words. Bishop. Sankey.

Dunerdr
01-25-2014, 06:16 AM
The OP in this thread is the only time I've heard of this

Well then I'm not jumping off the deepend just yet. The injury shouldn't have him down that long based on what we've heard so far. I could see him not being 100% by then but he should be capable of training camp basics amiright?

Bob Dole
01-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Whatever happens, we need more players on the roster with apostrophes in their name.

LoneWolf
01-25-2014, 07:19 AM
This entire thread is stupid. I haven't found any information stating Davis is in danger of not being ready for the upcoming season. RB is not a position of need for the Chiefs.

htismaqe
01-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Whatever happens, we need more players on the roster with apostrophes in their name.

I still think we shouldda drafted Da Rick.

patteeu
01-25-2014, 10:22 AM
This entire thread is stupid. I haven't found any information stating Davis is in danger of not being ready for the upcoming season. RB is not a position of need for the Chiefs.

RB certainly isn't the biggest position of need for the Chiefs. But Jamaal Charles won't last forever and Knile Davis hasn't done anything to shed the injury-prone label. Unless you have a lot of confidence in Cyrus Gray, I think RB is a position of interest, if not need. I'd like to see them find some competition (with Davis) for RBotF unless they see something in Gray that I haven't. That doesn't mean a high dollar FA or a premium draft pick though.

LoneWolf
01-25-2014, 10:37 AM
RB certainly isn't the biggest position of need for the Chiefs. But Jamaal Charles won't last forever and Knile Davis hasn't done anything to shed the injury-prone label. Unless you have a lot of confidence in Cyrus Gray, I think RB is a position of interest, if not need. I'd like to see them find some competition (with Davis) for RBotF unless they see something in Gray that I haven't. That doesn't mean a high dollar FA or a premium draft pick though.

I think any good GM and coaching staff should always be looking for any way to improve their roster, but the OP was presented in a way that there is information out there stating Davis isn't going to be ready to start the regular season. All I was saying is that I have been unable to find any information that backs this up. Therefore, I expect Davis to be ready for the season opener. If Charles and Davis are both healthy coming into the season, then any lower round draft pick or lower tier free agent brought in would be the third string RB. IMO, that position is so low on the list of positions KC needs to improve that it didn't require its own thread.

milkman
01-25-2014, 11:40 AM
I think any good GM and coaching staff should always be looking for any way to improve their roster, but the OP was presented in a way that there is information out there stating Davis isn't going to be ready to start the regular season. All I was saying is that I have been unable to find any information that backs this up. Therefore, I expect Davis to be ready for the season opener. If Charles and Davis are both healthy coming into the season, then any lower round draft pick or lower tier free agent brought in would be the third string RB. IMO, that position is so low on the list of positions KC needs to improve that it didn't require its own thread.

This is Direckshun.
When has he ever started a required, or more appropriate description, non worthless thread?

LoneWolf
01-25-2014, 12:44 PM
This is Direckshun.
When has he ever started a required, or more appropriate description, non worthless thread?

Well, I did enjoy his "ask me anything" thread. But that was based solely on him admitting he would eat his own poop for $100,000.

Chief Roundup
01-25-2014, 01:02 PM
With the news that Knile may not make it back for the start of the season

Can you provide a link to that news story for the rest of us that didn't see or hear it the first time?

Deberg_1990
01-25-2014, 01:04 PM
A team could pretty much draft a RB every year. They just don't last very long. Charles will be entering his 7th year. That's 65 years old by RB standards.

O.city
01-25-2014, 01:17 PM
The way reid uses the screen game and the rb position, I wouldn't be upset about them taking a danthony Thomas in te 4 or 5.

Easy 6
01-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Who the hell knows if this smoke about Davis adds up to anything, but hurt or not I see too many other needs to draft one or spend much in FA... Dorsey has proven he can find contributors in the scrap pile and thats what I'd want to see here.

A decent back is usually one of the easiest players to find for a talented eye.

baitism
01-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Carlos Hyde will be the next Maurice Clarett. Please no...

J Diddy
01-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Carlos Hyde will be the next Maurice Clarett. Please no...

Yeah but when he's really on it's Jeckle mode.

ILChief
01-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Who the hell knows if this smoke about Davis adds up to anything, but hurt or not I see too many other needs to draft one or spend much in FA... Dorsey has proven he can find contributors in the scrap pile and thats what I'd want to see here.

A decent back is usually one of the easiest players to find for a talented eye.

Where is this "smoke" other than this thread?

Easy 6
01-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Where is this "smoke" other than this thread?

There was a different, short lived thread on here yesterday, I'll see if I can find it...

Easy 6
01-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Not a new thread I guess, but a post from Pest... what source did this come from Pest?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280462&page=4

Dunerdr
01-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Not a new thread I guess, but a post from Pest... what source did this come from Pest?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280462&page=4

God damnit pest answer the man! The suspense is too much to bear!

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Running back Knile Davis appears to be the cause for the most concern as Kansas City’s offseason gets underway. Davis fractured his left fibula when he was injured in the second half while also spraining his knee, an injury that Reid said on 810 Sports, via the Kansas City Star, “scared the heck” out of the running back.

Reid also said that Davis will be fine, but it’s unclear whether he’ll be able to take part in the team’s offseason program. If he isn’t, that might help another back make a bid to make the team if the Chiefs decide to move on from third-stringer Cyrus Gray.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/08/knile-davis-fractured-his-fibula-against-colts/

jjchieffan
01-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Okay. I'm confused about Henry Josey. I assumed that him leaving school early for the draft meant he was projected to go early. If what you guys are saying, that he will last until at least the 4th, why in the world would he not just stay in school and possibly improve his draft stock? Just to clarify. I am no expert on the draft by any means. I don't know anything about later round players unless someone here has been pimping them.

Titty Meat
01-25-2014, 04:17 PM
There's a strip club dj who's a pretty good rb

LoneWolf
01-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Running back Knile Davis appears to be the cause for the most concern as Kansas City’s offseason gets underway. Davis fractured his left fibula when he was injured in the second half while also spraining his knee, an injury that Reid said on 810 Sports, via the Kansas City Star, “scared the heck” out of the running back.

Reid also said that Davis will be fine, but it’s unclear whether he’ll be able to take part in the team’s offseason program. If he isn’t, that might help another back make a bid to make the team if the Chiefs decide to move on from third-stringer Cyrus Gray.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/08/knile-davis-fractured-his-fibula-against-colts/

The bolded part is all you need to know. I think McKnight will replace Gray.

DonTellMeShowMe
01-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Anthony Dixon