PDA

View Full Version : Football Seven Tips From a New Jersey Guy

gblowfish
01-27-2014, 03:34 PM
On how to navigate Super Bowl Week in New Jersey, and not piss off the locals:

http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/2014/01/politi_welcome_to_new_jersey_here_are_seven_tips_for_not_making_us_angry.html

To football fans, visiting media and other dignitaries arriving here for the Super Bowl: Welcome to New Jersey! And, before you gather up your luggage at the Newark Airport baggage carousel and dive into the first cab headed to Manhattan, we can be clear on that point, right?

The Super Bowl is in New Jersey.

We put up with a lot here when it comes to the New York name on things. We tolerate it with the Giants, even if they haven’t played across the Hudson River in almost 40 years, because they were founded in 1925. We accept it with the Jets, because given their lackluster history, not having New Jersey attached to them has been just fine.

We have enough toxic dumps, if you know what I mean. Hey look, I just made a bad Jersey joke. *

* Don’t do this.

But the Super Bowl? Not this time. Yes, the NFL decided to put “NY/NJ” on its logo and – of course – screw us by holding nearly all of the major events across the Hudson River. Yes, the official game program dedicated such a small fraction of its cover to our state, directly below the Lombardi Trophy near the very edge, that it could be mistaken for a smudge.

That’s us to the NFL: A necessary smudge. But not even almighty Roger Goodell can change the geography. MetLife Stadium is the site of Super Bowl XLVIII. MetLife Stadium is located in East Rutherford, N.J. Therefore, one more time everyone, the Super Bowl is in New Jersey.

Got it? Good.

So let that be your first tip to navigating the week ahead. You are no doubt arriving here with plenty of guides, maps and friendly advice to help you enjoy your big trip, so we’ll cut right to the important stuff.

Namely: You not making us angrier than we already are. So, with that in mind, here are a few helpful hints for your stay:

1. Yes. We get it. It’s cold. You want to complain about the weather, go right ahead. Just don’t complain to us about the weather. We aren’t the brainiacs who put the game here. It’s early February in New Jersey. We live in a constant rotation of ice, snow and slush. You want to talk more about it? Here, take this shovel and get to work on my driveway. I’ll be right back.

2. Get out of the #@$%& left lane. You might have heard, but traffic is a sensitive topic around here. Spending three hours at the George Washington Bridge just to send a message to a small-town mayor will do that to the most patient people, and we’re not that. So, if you’re going to drive 55 in the left lane on the Turnpike, that 18 wheeler three inches from your rear fender has our full endorsement.

3. Oh, about that building next to the stadium. Yes, the one with all the multicolored panels that looks like it should be the world’s large clown college or a failed experiment with giant Legos. It was known as Xanadu, and you’re probably going to wonder what, exactly, it is. We have no idea, either.

4. Go easy on the Jersey jokes. “What exit?” HA HA HA! Never heard THAT one before. Here, I’ll tell you what exit: Go find Exit 6 on the Turnpike. Then keep going for a while into you see a sign that says “Welcome to Pennsylvania.” Save the Jersey jokes for the experts, like Jon Stewart (he’s one of us).

5. Need help? Just ask! Just last week, in fact, I was picking up my credential for the media events when I made a wrong turn. I asked a helpful man at the hotel, and he replied, “DID YOU NOT SEE THE BIG SIGN?!” It is this spirit of cooperation that will make us superior hosts.

6. You will not out-snark us. This is a special message for my colleagues arriving for Media Day at the Prudential Center on Tuesday. If you’re coming all the way just to tell the world that Newark isn’t pretty, well, do us all a favor and take your sweaty Birkenstocks back to Denver and your coffee-stained flannel back to Seattle.

7. Try to enjoy the Jersey experience. We understand if you’re staying in Manhattan. See a Broadway show. Visit a museum. We do, all the time. But if you want pancakes at 3 a.m., or if you craving a scenic drive (honest), or just want to see where the real people live, come on over.

We don’t bite. Usually.

Rain Man
01-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Just to clarify, I don't wear Birkenstocks. I have a nice pair of Tevas, though.

BlackHelicopters
01-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks

Donger
01-27-2014, 03:53 PM
I was expecting more swear words, to be honest.

In58men
01-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Bold the important parts

Big Poppa Payne
01-27-2014, 04:02 PM
You had me at pancakes at 3am.

Cornstock
01-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Is it bad to geographicist against people from NY/NJ?

Donger
01-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Is it bad to geographicist against people from NY/NJ?

Please tell me that you just made up that word...

Bowser
01-27-2014, 04:10 PM
The Super Bowl in New Jersey.

mikey23545
01-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Just to clarify, I don't wear Birkenstocks. I have a nice pair of Tevas, though.

I bet they go great with your apricot BMW.

Cornstock
01-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Please tell me that you just made up that word...

Ya, I totally made that up... Kinda seems like it could be a thing actually.

Rain Man
01-27-2014, 04:27 PM
I bet they go great with your apricot BMW.

They're kind of wide compared to my tennis shoes, so when I first wore them I would occasionally clip the clutch pedal when pushing down on the brake. But other than that, yeah, they go great with the BMW.

Rain Man
01-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Ya, I totally made that up... Kinda seems like it could be a thing actually.

I like that word. But I'll warn you, it's hard to get a new word into circulation. I've been trying for years.

Halfcan
01-27-2014, 04:29 PM
New Jersey is a pit and NY is not much better. But nearly 90% of the media is saying the SB is in New York. You think they would have a fact checker before they run stories-lol

BlackHelicopters
01-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Ban New Jersey

Cornstock
01-27-2014, 04:30 PM
I like that word. But I'll warn you, it's hard to get a new word into circulation. I've been trying for years.

Ya I might try to use it here and there where applicable, but I won't hold my breath. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but it looks good written.

Rain Man
01-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Ya I might try to use it here and there where applicable, but I won't hold my breath. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but it looks good written.

It's a great word and there's a need for it. Anyone who doesn't start using it is just being disigerent.

gblowfish
01-27-2014, 04:39 PM
I'll bet the BADA BING! will do epic business this week...

Cornstock
01-27-2014, 04:48 PM
It's a great word and there's a need for it. Anyone who doesn't start using it is just being disigerent.

Haha I think your word has thus been revealed. You'll be pleased to know a quick google search shows that there are a couple of online communities that have cited this site as the point of origination for disigerent.

ChiefRocka
01-27-2014, 05:47 PM
New Jersey is a pit and NY is not much better. But nearly 90% of the media is saying the SB is in New York. You think they would have a fact checker before they run stories-lol

Jersey gets better towards the middle away from the shitholes they call Newark and Camden. Beaches are nice in the Summer.

Deberg_1990
01-27-2014, 05:48 PM
Oh yea, you can't fill up you own car with gas. Gotta keep people employed NJ.

mdchiefsfan
01-27-2014, 06:51 PM

You're surprised? These are the same people that think that the Chiefs/Royals play in Kansas.

Dayze
01-28-2014, 08:46 AM
lots of good places to walk around and hit bars in Patterson.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
01-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Obnoxious read

Dayze
01-28-2014, 09:03 AM

wait,...wut?

Eleazar
01-28-2014, 09:05 AM
wait,...wut?

It's illegal to pump your own gas there.

Eleazar
01-28-2014, 09:06 AM
Jersey gets better towards the middle away from the shitholes they call Newark and Camden. Beaches are nice in the Summer.

Newark and Camden... NJ is the state with two aholes

Dayze
01-28-2014, 09:12 AM

are you serious?.....I can not wrap my head around that one....

or are you being sarcastic?

BlackHelicopters
01-28-2014, 09:25 AM

Can't tell if serious

notorious
01-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Wow, how much does gas cost in Jersey?

Jimmya
01-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Wow....nutzo law if true.

notorious
01-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Well, if the "jersey shore" dipshits are the average person up there, I don't blame New Jersey for making a law to keep them away from gasoline.

Chief Roundup
01-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Newark and Camden... NJ is the state with two aholes

That entire state is the sphincter of the U.S.

kcfanXIII
01-28-2014, 09:47 AM
From what it sounds like, NY/NJ has the same type of hatred for each other as KCMO and KCK. We get it around here. The Super Bowl is in New Jersey not New York. If you ask us though, you are all just a bunch of arrogant east coasters, who all feel the world revolves around them. Suck it.

Sincerely
The Rest of the Country

gblowfish
01-28-2014, 10:09 AM
It's illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey and Oregon.

Halfcan
01-28-2014, 10:59 AM

Yep I was in Oregon and started to pump the gas-this old man came running out and grabbed it out of my hand. Something like a $500 fine to the station if they dont pump it for you.

Rain Man
01-28-2014, 11:09 AM

Yep I was in Oregon and started to pump the gas-this old man came running out and grabbed it out of my hand. Something like a $500 fine to the station if they dont pump it for you.

What? Is this real?

Halfcan
01-28-2014, 11:12 AM
What? Is this real?

It might have changed but yes it is real.

In oregon-every gas station had a homeless guy that would pump the gas while you used your credit card or went in and paid.

Eleazar
01-28-2014, 12:29 PM
What? Is this real?

Yes. It's to preserve all the gas pumping jobs, I suppose.

Chief Roundup
01-28-2014, 01:19 PM
What? Is this real?

Yes it is illegal in a lot of places for individuals to pump their own gas.

Moon§hiner
01-28-2014, 01:42 PM

It's true. My wife is from Jersey and has no clue how to put gas in the car and has no desire to learn how. Drives me nuts.

Edit, when we talk to family back there, it's usually 5 cents or so cheaper than Kansas. I think it has to do with liability insurance. Less if you have a certified employee than some idiot that has a smoke in his mouth like I saw yesterday putting air in his tire by the pump.

Chief_For_Life58
01-28-2014, 02:05 PM
tip 8. don't visit the arm pit of America. i mean new jersey. don't visit New Jersey

Moon§hiner
01-28-2014, 02:11 PM
North Jersey is ugly as hell. Refineries and smoke stacks everywhere. Could smell it as soon as I walked out of the airport. Central Jersey has lots of trees, so no scenery till you get to the ocean. Never been to south, and from what I heard, I don't think I would go. The only good thing I could say is they don't litter the sides of their freeways with signs. Pull up to a stoplight and a nano-second after it turns green, the guy behind you is honking his horn.

HemiEd
01-28-2014, 02:50 PM

Yeah, that kind of gets me every time I go back there, wtf?

Chief Roundup
01-28-2014, 04:35 PM
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-05-16-nj-gas_x.htm

In New Jersey, motorists who need to fill 'er up haven't pumped their own gas in 57 years. But in the face of soaring gas prices, Gov. Jon Corzine came up with a novel plan last month to try to ease the pain: allow self-service at some stations along the New Jersey Turnpike and see if prices dip. He believed prices could drop 5 to 7 cents a gallon.

Corzine retreated after about 1,400 e-mails and calls poured in from a mostly outraged public. Concern about other state issues paled in comparison. A proposal to raise the sales tax by one cent, for example, received about 200 responses from the public, says Brendan Gilfillan, a spokesman for the governor.

I know it is an older article. But it sounds like the people up there like it that way.

Scooter LaCanforno
01-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Well, if the "jersey shore" dipshits are the average person up there, I don't blame New Jersey for making a law to keep them away from gasoline.

The "Jersey Shore" Dipshitz Scuzholes Guido's (That's what they call themselves) are from Staten Island, N.Y. and Yes it is law that you can't pump you're own gas. Gas in NJ has some of the lowest prices in the country.

Deberg_1990
01-28-2014, 07:31 PM
It's true. My wife is from Jersey and has no clue how to put gas in the car and has no desire to learn how. Drives me nuts.

Edit, when we talk to family back there, it's usually 5 cents or so cheaper than Kansas. I think it has to do with liability insurance. Less if you have a certified employee than some idiot that has a smoke in his mouth like I saw yesterday putting air in his tire by the pump.

It's 100% true. At least on the turnpikes when I got gas there. The gas pumpers were slow as shit too. Defiantly in no hurry.

Another funny thing about Jersey are the Jughandle left hand turns. You basically exit to the right to go left. I guess it's illegal to make a normal left hand turn in Jersey.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Wow, how much does gas cost in Jersey?

Less than it does in Maryland and you don't have to get out in the rain or cold to pump it.

It's one of the few perks to driving through NJ.

MahiMike
01-28-2014, 08:13 PM
So glad I don't live within 1000 miles of that shit hole.

scho63
01-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Here are 10 true and good TIPS from a Jersey guy:

1. Eat an Italian hot dog at Jimmy Buff's in West Orange-they were invented in New Jersey and are fantastic!

http://www.jimmybuff.com/images/thedouble.jpg

2. While in West Orange, visit Thomas Edison's home and lab museum it's incredible to see all he did
http://www.nps.gov/edis/index.htm

3. Visit the Pinelands-the second largest preserved area in the lower 48

Where is the Pinelands National Reserve and how big is it?
The Pinelands National Reserve, created by the National Parks and Recreation Act of 1978, includes approximately 1.1 million acres encompassing portions of seven counties and all or part of 56 municipalities in the southern half of New Jersey.
Who owns the Pinelands National Reserve?
Approximately 50 percent of the Pinelands National Reserve is owned publicly. This includes Municipal, County, State, and Federal holdings and facilities. The other 50 percent is privately owned and includes home owners, farmers, business, corporations, and nonprofit organizations.
What hidden natural resource is covered by the Pinelands?
Pinelands lie above the 17.7-trillion-gallon Kirkwood-Cohansey aquifer, which contain enough water to cover all of New Jersey 10 feet deep - and equal to nearly half the water consumed each year in the U.S.

4. Go to Colt's Neck and drink some Applejack at Lairds! Founded in 1780 they are the first in the US to produce apple brandy and even served George Washington

http://barblog.elementsprinceton.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/photo-1.jpg

5. Make sure to eat a Taylor Ham and cheese sandwich on hard roll or English Muffin for breakfast. It's as NJ as it comes and you will love it. Don't settle for just pork roll-it must be Taylor Ham!

http://www.grilling24x7.com/porkroll2.jpg

6. Drive East through Rumson on River Road, cross North over the Oceanic Bridge and return West on Navesink Road.
You have a good chance of running into Bruce Springsteen or Jon Bon Jovi, who both live on opposite sides of the Navesink River.
Stop and eat at the Salt Creek Grille
http://www.saltcreekgrille.com/home/index.asp

7. Visit downtown Princeton, it's a beautiful town and the train drops you right off there from either north Jersey or new York

8. Visit downtown Red Bank-another town with great restaurants, awesome boutiques, and a cool vibe with train service right into town. Ton's of young Wall Street'ers drink here and the hot chicks follow!

9. Stop at Rutgers University and see where so many recent NFL players came from.

10. Drive along the ocean from Pt Pleasant, through Mantoloking, Bay Head, Ortley, Seaside Heights and Seaside Park with a stop at Island Beach State park at the end. Beautiful scenery but you will also witness the lasting devastation from Hurricane Sandy.

Stay away from Atlantic City, Newark, South Orange, Paterson, Camden, and Irvington. All crime ridden ghettos that will get you killed.

:D

Rasputin
01-28-2014, 09:41 PM
I got a tip for the Jersey Guy if he ever gets out west.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Yyuun4O9Ko0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gravedigger
01-28-2014, 10:03 PM
I kind of get #4. You go almost anywhere in this country and you let them know you're from Kansas they'll do the same tired ass joke, "You're not in Kansas anymore!" DUR DUR DUR!!!!! Never heard that one before and btw it's WE'RE NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE, so if you're not from Kansas or have recently been in Kansas your joke is pathetic and doesn't make sense. STFU. When I moved out to Pennsylvania and Boston they'd always pull that crap with the same goofy grin on their face as almost to say, "I'm so clever."

NJChiefsFan
01-28-2014, 11:43 PM

Those people are from Long Island, not NJ.

It's about $3.30 for gas. I'm actually not sure if it is illegal to pump your own gas. People do it themselves when they are in a rush, but there are attendants that do it. I'm not going to lie, on my first trip out to KC I had to ask somebody how to do it.

Amen to #2 and #3 in the OP though. The rest is a little bit of over-hype both from people in and out of the state. Depends on where you are too. NW NJ is very much like the midwest, North East is the suburb of NYC, and South is a mix with the shore attitude mixed in.

Dayze
01-29-2014, 08:20 AM
it blows my mind that folks can't pump their own gas there. WTF.

notorious
01-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Less than it does in Maryland and you don't have to get out in the rain or cold to pump it.

It's one of the few perks to driving through NJ.

The pumpers must make their money in tips.

On a side note, it's obvious that I don't watch "Jersey Shore". Why do they call it that when they are from New York?

ChiefRocka
01-29-2014, 08:28 AM
http://www.threesisterspark.com/redneck_rally/images/Mullet.jpg

VS.

http://files.clubplanet.com/sitefiles/ArticleImages/2049/guido.jpg

BigOlChiefsfan
01-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Laird's Applejack and other brandy is good stuff! Oh, and be careful about calling everyone you meet in Joisey a 'freakin' mook!' It's not Goodfellas and they seem to resent it. Also - they have a sh*tload of bears running around so don't assume it's just an Oakland fan who got lost.

Chief Roundup
01-29-2014, 09:31 AM
So glad I don't live within 1000 miles of that shit hole.

Sorry but it is less than 1000 miles to East Rutherford, NJ, close but it is only 937 from Jacksonville, FL. You are only 887 miles from Trenton. Just saying. :D