View Full Version : Music RIP Pete Seeger

Superbowltrashcan
01-28-2014, 06:31 AM
Folk Music Icon- Inspiration for so many musicians.....:(

Baby Lee
01-28-2014, 06:42 AM
The ol' Commie kicked it.

He lived a long fruitful life.

Never not in the mood to put on of his discs on.

My Woodie Guthrie Tribute Concert disc he was instrumental [no pun intended] in is one of my all time faves.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEf_-gs-EaKttuR8o2z75g2AkvQM59arexfONxAUgsdsoi5p85&usqp=CAY

Superbowltrashcan
01-28-2014, 06:48 AM
That's "Mr. Commie" to you! LOL Sat there thinking of all that guy saw and did in 90 plus years. Boggles the mind....

BlackHelicopters
01-28-2014, 07:13 AM
RIP

cosmo20002
01-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Call me a relic call me what'cha will
Say I'm old fashioned say I'm over the hill
Today's music ain't got the same soul
I like that old time rock and roll

houstonwhodat
01-28-2014, 07:37 AM
One less Obama voter.

Baby Lee
01-28-2014, 08:36 AM

Eff that Rock and Roll shit

Woody

gblowfish
01-28-2014, 10:34 AM
One less Obama voter.

Ignorant post of the week.
Bravo.

Pete Seeger was a cultural icon, historic figure in both American music and politics. He sang with Woody Guthrie, was blacklisted by McCarthy, promoted recycling and ecology before just about anybody else, was a musical ambassador all over the world for America, and was a damn fine musician. He was intelligent, kind, caring, humorous and gifted. We should all have such a full and meaningful life.

Here's Pete playing with Johnny Cash:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ADtAU43MM14" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fan4ever
01-28-2014, 10:51 AM
He came to NAU and gave a performance to our folklore class; played the autoharp among other instruments...awesome. I'm not and wasn't into that kind of music at all, but this guy so impressed me I got some of my friends to attend a performance he was giving while there...friends made fun of me...until they heard him. RIP. Got to do what he loved for most of his life; we should all be so lucky.

TEX
01-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Ignorant post of the week.
Bravo.

Pete Seeger was a cultural icon, historic figure in both American music and politics. He sang with Woody Guthrie, was blacklisted by McCarthy, promoted recycling and ecology before just about anybody else, was a musical ambassador all over the world for America, and was a damn fine musician. He was intelligent, kind, caring, humorous and gifted. We should all have such a full and meaningful life.

Here's Pete playing with Johnny Cash:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ADtAU43MM14" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I guess this is #2 then because what he said is also correct...:shrug:

Baby Lee
01-28-2014, 11:13 AM
<embed style="display:block" src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:colbertnation.com:417416" width="288" height="247" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" allowFullscreen="true" flashvars="autoPlay=false" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" bgcolor="#000000"></embed>

Ironic because Colbert beat Seeger for best spoken word Grammy over Seeger for that very book on the day of his death.

Demonpenz
01-28-2014, 01:05 PM
guess now we can all "Turn the page"

HonestChieffan
01-28-2014, 01:13 PM

That was Bob Segar

Pete was an old granola eating tree hugger who hung around the backlots of the music scene back after the beatniks and before the hippies. A Hero in the coffee house culture of the campus riot days of the 70s. Bad Voice. not much with a guitar but his kooky fans wanted a message man

Demonpenz
01-28-2014, 01:25 PM
You know how fast he is going to fall into the ground? "Like a Rock"

HonestChieffan
01-28-2014, 01:37 PM
You know how fast he is going to fall into the ground? "Like a Rock"

Wrong guy.

KCUnited
01-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Apparently his blood Type was O Negative.

MahiMike
01-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Bob's middle name was Pete?

HonestChieffan
01-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Bob's middle name was Pete?

No Pete is Bobs Uncles Brother. Remember in the movie? They turned Pete into a Toad

Superbowltrashcan
01-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Pete was an old granola eating tree hugger who hung around the backlots of the music scene back after the beatniks and before the hippies. A Hero in the coffee house culture of the campus riot days of the 70s. Bad Voice. not much with a guitar but his kooky fans wanted a message man

You may know a great deal about many things, but Seeger isn't one of them.

cosmo20002
01-28-2014, 05:16 PM

Q

ChiefGator
01-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Always loved the message on his banjo: This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender.

Kind of telling the difference between that and Woody's 'This machine kills fascists'.

Gonna miss him, but his message resonates on.

And may I live as long and as full a life as him..

Aries Walker
01-28-2014, 07:17 PM
94 years and inspiring millions is a pretty good run.

HonestChieffan
01-28-2014, 09:12 PM
You may know a great deal about many things, but Seeger isn't one of them.

Old tree hugger pre hippie love it all dude is dead as hell. Tits up. Mommas and the Papas. Go Pete.

ClevelandBronco
01-28-2014, 09:19 PM
I never caught onto his music, but he was loved by some of the artists that I love. Well done, Mr. Seeger.

Road Hog
01-29-2014, 10:10 PM
"[I]t’s important to remember that [Pete] Seeger, once an avowed Stalinist, was a political singer devoted to a sinister political system--a position he held long after the Soviet experiment drenched itself in blood and collapsed in ignomin"[I]t’s important to remember that [Pete] Seeger, once an avowed Stalinist, was a political singer devoted to a sinister political system--a position he held long after the Soviet experiment drenched itself in blood and collapsed in ignominy

Baby Lee
01-29-2014, 10:24 PM
"[I]t’s important to remember that [Pete] Seeger, once an avowed Stalinist, was a political singer devoted to a sinister political system--a position he held long after the Soviet experiment drenched itself in blood and collapsed in ignomin"[I]t’s important to remember that [Pete] Seeger, once an avowed Stalinist, was a political singer devoted to a sinister political system--a position he held long after the Soviet experiment drenched itself in blood and collapsed in ignominy

That can sound a little simplistic or jingoistic, but it's true he crafted sing-along songs that could easily turn into mantras toward virulent Communist/Stalinist movements.

I've loved the music, and took the message with a grain of salt. I thought it important to remember, as Johnny Cash intoned in gblow's post above 'nobody's perfect.' Occasionally worried that the grain of salt was a salt lick for many.

OMFG, my baby learned in a government school that because WWII was an important undertaking he's excited to go off an die some day!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VucczIg98Gw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>