PDA

View Full Version : News Frank Boal's Son Dies After Car Accident

gblowfish
01-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Saw this in the morning KC Star. Frank Boal has been a sportscaster in KC for over 30 years. The wreck happened a couple weekends ago, and Brett (his son) passed away yesterday. Frank is a good guy, very sad story:

Sportscaster Frank Boal’s son dies following car crash in New Mexico
January 28
By TIM ENGLE
The Kansas City Star

Sportscaster Frank Boal’s 27-year-old son, Brett, has died following a car accident in Albuquerque, N.M., KSHB-TV announced Tuesday afternoon.

KOAT, Channel 7, in Albuquerque had reported that Brett Boal was critically injured in the single-vehicle crash about 2 a.m. Jan. 18. Police said Boal lost control of his vehicle and struck a concrete barrier. The accident shut down Interstate 25 there for about two hours.

Brett Boal suffered traumatic brain injuries as a result of the wreck. He died Sunday.

KSHB said the young man worked in the hotel management industry and was living in Albuquerque.

The Boal family issued this statement:

“Kansas City, you are wonderful. You have no idea how much all the love and support has meant to our family with the passing of our son Brett. Brett loved life, his family, his friends and his hometown. Even the people here in Albuquerque came under the spell of his infectious smile and personality, and that has also given us great comfort. Keep all of us in your thoughts and prayers — we’ll need them moving forward.”

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations in Brett’s name to the Brain Injury Association of Kansas and Greater Kansas City.

Frank Boal has been a fixture on Kansas City television for more than three decades. He spent 28 years as sports director at WDAF, Fox 4, stepping down in 2009.

He joined Channel 41 as a sports anchor in September 2010 and works primarily Friday through Sunday. Boal can also be heard on Sports Radio 810, WHB

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/28/4782683/sportscaster-frank-boals-son-dies.html#storylink=cpy

WhawhaWhat
01-29-2014, 10:23 AM
That sucks. Thoughts with Frank and the fam.

Dayze
01-29-2014, 10:25 AM
holy crap

TLO
01-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Wow. That sucks. :(

Big Poppa Payne
01-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Man this is terrible, Frank is such a great guy too. Our company advertises on 810am and Frank does some of our radio spots so he's always in and out of our office. I can't imagine the pain of losing your child, this is just awful.

J Diddy
01-29-2014, 10:49 AM
I can't imagine. There is nothing on this earth that I would be more unable to handle than to lose my child. My heart goes out to him.

bevischief
01-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Man that sucks. All the best for him and his family.

Braincase
01-29-2014, 11:53 AM
Prayers for the young man's surviving friends and family.

xztop123
01-29-2014, 12:15 PM
went to HS with him and had him on my football team growing up

Fairplay
01-29-2014, 12:18 PM
Frank Boal is the nicest of guys sorry this happened to him and his family.

Rasputin
01-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Remember DT58

:(

JENKINSWINS
01-29-2014, 12:44 PM
What was he doing on the road at 2am in the morning?

cosmo20002
01-29-2014, 12:50 PM

Driving

RealSNR
01-29-2014, 03:38 PM

Getting killed.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-29-2014, 03:43 PM

:spock: I've been on the road plenty of times at 2am. And none of it involved drinking and driving, crime, or anything else that would be considered morally bankrupt. I understand the thought process of "Nothing good happens out there after midnight" but it's just not always the case.

CaliforniaChief
01-29-2014, 03:56 PM
So sad. I don't know how you get through the loss of your child. I mean you do it, but still.

Randallflagg
01-29-2014, 03:59 PM
:spock: I've been on the road plenty of times at 2am. And none of it involved drinking and driving, crime, or anything else that would be considered morally bankrupt. I understand the thought process of "Nothing good happens out there after midnight" but it's just not always the case.

Me too. I used to get off at 2AM and would have to drive I-35 with all the drunks. Got a little hairy from time to time.

I live not too far from Frank and have talked with him and his family on several occasions. My sympathies, sir. He was a good kid.

Halfcan
01-29-2014, 04:48 PM
What a terrible tragedy-best wishes to his family.

JENKINSWINS
01-29-2014, 04:56 PM

Yeah, but did you have a single car accident like he did?

mikeyis4dcats.
01-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Yeah, but did you have a single car accident like he did?]

what is your fucking problem? Maybe he fell asleep? Maybe he swerved to avoid wildlife or something in the road? We don't know, so don't be an asshole.

Sure-Oz
01-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Yeah, but did you have a single car accident like he did?

He had a seizure that caused the accident

JENKINSWINS
01-29-2014, 05:02 PM

Link?

JENKINSWINS
01-29-2014, 05:06 PM
]

what is your ****ing problem? Maybe he fell asleep? Maybe he swerved to avoid wildlife or something in the road? We don't know, so don't be an asshole.

Had he been of a different race or color, this would've been "Open and shut case Johnson!".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C7F50Cd8LME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sure-Oz
01-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Link?

Heard in on 810 yesterday when they talked about it, Kevin Keitzman was the one that said it. They talked about what happend for about 15min

Anyong Bluth
01-29-2014, 05:10 PM
That's horrible, I know/knew his son, Garrett, pretty well, and that family is totally wonderful. I'm saddened to hear about their loss.

Kman34
01-29-2014, 05:12 PM
I feel for his family having recently lost my nephew to a rollover crash last week. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt and was thrown from his truck. The pain by brother feels is almost too much to bear. Please remind your loved ones to always wear their seatbelts no matter what.

Prison Bitch
01-29-2014, 05:23 PM
I met him at a party about 10 years ago at his house. He came up to me and my wife and offered to take our coats. Asked us about ourselves and offered to get us a drink too. All I can say about the man is that he was friendly to me, and he didn't really have to be. Wish him and his family all the best

Anyong Bluth
01-29-2014, 05:27 PM

Seizure, really? They are pretty serious about driving privileges for people with episodic bouts with seizures or other chance event health conditions. I wonder if this was a fluke 1 time thing? It happens, sadly.

When I was about 24, my best friend from high school had a seizure in his sleep and asphyxiated on his own vomit. His girlfriend woke up next to him in the morning to discover what had happened. No booze or drugs were involved, and he had no history of an underlying condition. Full autopsy came back clear, and to this day the cause of the seizure is not known.
When I younger, my brother started having sudden fainting episodes. They did a full medical work up and found nothing. As a result of this condition his driving privileges were revoked and not reinstated for either 6 months or a year after his last episode. Totally strange, no medical finding or treatment, but it went away and he hasn't had any reoccurrence for going on 15+ years.

Deberg_1990
01-29-2014, 05:32 PM

he was getting drunk, smoking pot and driving recklessly while speeding.

is this what you want to hear?

Anyong Bluth
01-29-2014, 05:53 PM

Exactly, I'm a night owl, and often when I can't sleep will go to the store, run errands, or whatever, just because I can't sit around in bed doing nothing, and if the girlfriend in over, I want to be respectful and let her sleep.
Ya, it's limited on places open, so sometimes I'll go into the office and do prep work on a case of mine, or I have a private garage spot in my building and I might do a little work on my car- I like to tinker with little customization projects and what not.

Plus, in the city like Chicago, there's a lot more going on and people out and about at 2am or later than you might think. Sometimes, I hit up this awesome 24 hour hole in the wall breakfast diner (its a little out of the way South) and bring some case reading and relax, and do that and read the paper while I take a long breakfast with a good old endless cup of coffee.
Often times you'll see the plant and factory workers rolling in between shift changes.
Not everyone keeps strict 9-5 hours.

WilliamTheIrish
01-29-2014, 05:59 PM
That's a terrible tragedy. I've met FB several times and he's always gone out of his way to be nice and always remembered my name too.

TLO
01-29-2014, 06:13 PM

Your and idiot.

RealSNR
01-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Niner fans who joined the board since the Alex Smith trade and say really fucking stupid shit:

JENKINSWINS
Kaepernick

JENKINSWINS
01-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Your and idiot.

My and? Oh you meant "you're".

Maybe I should have asked it like this?

I know people drive at all hours of the day, but what was he doing driving at 2am and crashing?

Is that better?

TLO
01-30-2014, 01:16 PM

I know people drive at all hours of the day, but what was he doing driving at 2am and crashing?

Is that better?

No I didn't. n00b

Earthling
01-30-2014, 01:19 PM
So sad. I buried my 18 tr. old daughter about 14 years ago and its something you never get over.

Bowser
01-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Oh man, condolences to the Boal family. I heard Petro reference some tragedy that Frank was dealing with in his family. Terrible news.

Is that better?

Just stop.

Bowser
01-30-2014, 07:30 PM
So sad. I buried my 18 tr. old daughter about 14 years ago and its something you never get over.

Shit man, sorry to hear that. I couldn't imagine.