PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Troubleshooting: XBox Lasers and Rates of Failure

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-30-2014, 04:41 PM
I have had an XBox laser fail on me ten times now. The first several times I was able to return it to M$, but after they started giving me endless shit, I just started swapping the lasers out.

Each laser seems to last 6-12 weeks before it craps out. Perhaps that is due to them (likely) being stripped from old systems and repackaged and sold on eBay, but it happens with such regularity that I'm wondering if the real problem is with the DVD drive. I avoided swapping the drive out due to the extra bullshit associated with the transfer, which is more complicated than just dropping a functional drive in.

The XBox itself is in a ventilated entertainment system with six+ inches of clearance on all sides; it's not like I'm stacking components.

Were I not 30+ games deep into this shitshow I would have abandoned it long ago, but I'm pot committed. Some people have claimed that the Open Tray error can also come from a shitty HD, but that seems like a bizarre connection, and removing the HDD and using just a flash drive has not alleviated the issues.

Ideas?

01-30-2014, 07:16 PM
buy one last new 360 wipe out the games and never look back.

htismaqe
01-31-2014, 07:21 AM
After the RROD, the most common failure is the DVD drive. Mostly "cannot read disc" errors.