PDA

View Full Version : Life Demaryius Thomas’ Mom, Grandma Have To Root From Prison

R8RFAN
01-31-2014, 01:55 PM
Latest Sports
Demaryius Thomas’ Mom, Grandma Have To Root From Prison
January 30, 2014 4:48 PM
Share on email363
View Comments

Related Tags: Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Eric Decker, James Brown, Katina Smith, Minnie Pearl Thomas, Montrose, Peyton Manning, Richard Sherman, Seattle Seahawks, Super Bowl, Wes Welker
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) - Demaryius Thomas‘ mother and grandmother will cheer for the Broncos receiver around the prison TV Sunday, both wearing No. 88 jerseys they crafted with strips of tape.
The two women have never seen Thomas play in person. He was 11 when police burst through the door of their home in Montrose, Ga., and arrested both in 1999. Police allowed Katina Smith to walk her son and his two younger sisters to the school bus one last time.

Now she’s at a minimum-security prison in Florida, sentenced to 20 years. Her mother, Minnie Pearl Thomas, who had two previous drug convictions, received two life sentences with the possibility for parole after 40 years.
Smith could have gotten a lighter sentence by testifying against her mother, but she refused.
They’ll watch Thomas play in his first Super Bowl Sunday, when he will be matched against Seahawks star cornerback Richard Sherman for much of the game.
“I think that drives me more to know that they’re there and they’re watching me,” Thomas said. “I try to go out there and play my best because they’re going to talk about it to the people in the jailhouse.”
Thomas’ father was serving in the Army and stationed in Kuwait when his mother and grandmother were arrested. He went to live with an aunt and uncle, Shirley and James Brown, a Baptist minister who lived six miles away.
Thomas, called “Bay-Bay” by his family, started working as an usher at the church and attending Bible study after track and basketball practices.
“Once I moved in with him, I told him I wanted to do something to stay off the streets and stay out of trouble, so I tried football,” Thomas said. “And it worked out for me.”

too much pasting.... More here
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/01/30/demaryius-thomas-mom-grandma-have-to-root-from-prison/

CrazyPhuD
01-31-2014, 01:57 PM
At least they're still wearing orange jerseys! :shrug:

ThaVirus
01-31-2014, 01:58 PM
My mom spent some time in prison so I can feel for him. It really does suck.

Still.. Fuck the Broncos.

BossChief
01-31-2014, 01:59 PM
Tweet this to tosh

R8RFAN
01-31-2014, 02:00 PM
You all would have had fun with this had it been a Raiders Mom in Prison, it would have been on the front page for weeks here

Cephalic Trauma
01-31-2014, 02:00 PM
That's no different than a game on the road against the raiders.

ptlyon
01-31-2014, 02:01 PM
Damn. I wonder if he ever sits quietly and thinks of them box banging in the showers.

R8RFAN
01-31-2014, 02:01 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vAOVRkSCWmg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Kotter
01-31-2014, 02:02 PM
Tweet this to tosh

Hilarious. LMAO

Warrior5
01-31-2014, 02:02 PM
You all would have had fun with this had it been a Raiders Mom in Prison, it would have been on the front page for weeks here

And your point is?

R8RFAN
01-31-2014, 02:03 PM
And your point is?

With your meth pipe in your hand :D

ptlyon
01-31-2014, 02:03 PM

Don't worry, methinks it will be

R8RFAN
01-31-2014, 02:04 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vAOVRkSCWmg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, I was drunk the day my Mom got outta prison.
And I went to pick her up in the rain.
But, before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got runned over by a damned old train.

Donger
01-31-2014, 02:07 PM
Were she and granny traffickers or something?

Dave Lane

No only unexpected news is commented on. Prayers to your mom hope she gets out soon.

ptlyon
No only unexpected news is commented on. Prayers to your mom hope she gets out soon.

ROFL

RealSNR
01-31-2014, 02:09 PM
Fuck Knowmo.

Fuck Denver.

listopencil
01-31-2014, 02:10 PM
I've seen this story quite a few times. Good for him for being able to get out of that environment. Good for his extended family for helping shape him, and good for him for taking advantage of that opportunity. His life is an inspiring success story.

Donger
01-31-2014, 02:11 PM
I've seen this story quite a few times. Good for him for being able to get out of that environment. Good for his extended family for helping shape him, and good for him for taking advantage of that opportunity. His life is an inspiring success story.

And may he get stomped like a narc at a biker rally on Sunday.

listopencil
01-31-2014, 02:13 PM
**** Knowmo.

**** Denver.

JERSEY CITY - There will be tears.

In the moments just before kickoff for Super Bowl XLVIII, the well of emotions inside Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno will open up, and tears will flow as the memories of everything that brought him to this point flood his mind.

Moreno's pregame cry was caught on camera before a Dec. 1 game at Kansas City, but he said Monday it's an involuntary response that happens before every game.

And Sunday's game against the Seahawks will be the most significant of his life, not just because it's the Super Bowl, but because MetLife Stadium is not far from where he was raised by his grandmother, Mildred McQueen, after spending the first 12 years of his life surviving a hardscrabble existence with his father, moving in and out of homeless shelters in the Bronx and Harlem.

Moreno knows his emotions at game time "will be through the roof. I think that will be my toughest battle, just being able to stay composed until the fires start burning down.

"I just get emotional. Everything is running through my head from when I was younger to now to put me in this position . . . Everyone goes through their own journey and has whatever it is that drives them to be better each day.''

When Moreno's parents split up, he wound up with his father, Freddie, who eked out a living selling T-shirts. Sometimes they could afford an apartment, but more often they survived in homeless shelters.

"It's very special,'' Moreno said of those hard times. "Just learning from my experiences going in and out of shelters, that's part of life. It's how you battle back from that and see all the positive in the negative. I think I did a good job of that.''

Although he maintains a relationship with his father, Moreno was grateful when his maternal grandmother gained custody in Bronx Family Court and moved him to Belford, N.J., about 45 miles south of the Super Bowl site. His mother, Varashon, lives close by, but it was his grandmother who took charge of raising him.

"She played a big role,'' Moreno said. "She took me out of a difficult situation and put me in a better situation. She's a great little woman . . . She enjoyed every moment from Pop Warner to high school. She was at every game. College [at Georgia], she was at a lot of the games. We have a special bond that can never be broken. We're just enjoying the moment and not taking anything for granted.''

Moreno, 26, still holds the New Jersey high school career scoring record set with Middletown South, which was 36-0 his last three seasons and won three Central Jersey Group III titles. Before the Super Bowl, Moreno expects to visit with his high school coach, Steve Antonucci, and many former teammates and friends.

"It's just awesome to be home, to see the old faces,'' Moreno said. "It's special to get back with them and not forget where you're from. That was a special team. Putting all that hard work in and being rewarded with a trophy at the end of the season is what it's all about.''

His mind flashing forward to Sunday, Moreno added, "We're going to put our hearts on the line. When we raise that trophy, it's going to be awesome.''

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/super-bowl/broncos-knowshon-moreno-overcame-rough-childhood-1.6890596

Big Poppa Payne
01-31-2014, 02:22 PM

You don't have to call me Waylon Jennings..
And you don't have to call me Charlie Pride..

Great fucking song.

BossChief
01-31-2014, 02:24 PM
And may he get stomped like a narc at a biker rally on Sunday.

Did Donger just talk football smack?

listopencil
01-31-2014, 02:30 PM
Did Donger just talk football smack?

He tried.

Donger
01-31-2014, 02:32 PM
He tried.

LMAO

Nickel D
01-31-2014, 02:36 PM
When you hear that NYC just got hit with a flash flood, then you know that Moreno got word about this story.

bowener
01-31-2014, 02:38 PM
What sort of drugs were they into? Weed? Crack?

ptlyon
01-31-2014, 02:43 PM

They're definitely into that now

MahiMike
01-31-2014, 02:46 PM

They were arrested for naming their kid demarious.

listopencil
01-31-2014, 03:21 PM
When you hear that NYC just got hit with a flash flood, then you know that Moreno got word about this story.

I hope he does spaz out again. He runs much more aggressively and effectively when he's all jazzed up.