PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 50

Rain Man
02-04-2014, 06:38 PM
The rules:

In Round 1, I'm going to put up three randomly selected scenes from the nomination thread.

You'll vote for your ONE favorite scene among the three. The key here is FAVORITE. We're not talking about the 'best' or 'most powerful' or 'most meaningful'. We're talking about the scene that you most enjoy watching, however you define that.

The winners will move on. I'll also take the 10 highest-scoring second-place scenes and they'll advance as wild cards.

Some of our nominations did not include clips. This will be noted. If you find a clip, please post it and let me know so I can update it if it moves on.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z_J2JNdC9Vg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0iAezyDzj0M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clip 3 - Swing Kids 16 Dance Club Raid - Can't find it anywhere. Disney is clamping down hard on underground Swing Kids 16 videos. If you can find it, post it. pr_capone initially nominated it.

Gadzooks
02-04-2014, 06:39 PM
In before poll PBJ

TimBone
02-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Inb4 poll

TimBone
02-04-2014, 06:41 PM
I love that No Country for Old Men scene. I'm sure it's bound to lose though. This place has a hard on for all things Tombstone.

Rain Man
02-04-2014, 06:41 PM
My votes on a kind of boring heat.

#1 - No Country For Old Men - I really liked the movie, and I fondly remembered this scene, but going back and watching it is kind of a drag. It's pretty slow. I guess it's all right.

#2 - Tombstone. Okay, that's an iconic line on Chiefsplanet, and I liked the quick shot of the guy spitting. It's a well-done scene, but it's not hugely interesting.

#3 - Swing Kids 16. I must confess ignorance on this one. I've never seen it and can't find it.

WhawhaWhat
02-04-2014, 07:30 PM
No Country for Old Men is a way better scene than the other one.

Easy 6
02-04-2014, 07:32 PM
This is the easiest one yet, it inspired a bona fide staple of CP vernacular.

TimBone
02-04-2014, 08:00 PM

Don't let that cloud your judgement, man! The No Country scene is waaay better.

Baby Lee
02-04-2014, 08:18 PM

Exactly, the Tombstone scene is iconic, particularly around here, but the NCfOM scene is a masterpiece of writing and performance.

cosmo20002
02-04-2014, 08:55 PM
"Well, bye" is special. Very special. "I'm leaving forever threads" just wouldn't be the same without it. But it's two words.

No Country is simply awesome. Creepy as hell. Lots of good scenes from that movie.

cosmo20002
02-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Clip 3 - Swing Kids 16 Dance Club Raid - Can't find it anywhere. Disney is clamping down hard on underground Swing Kids 16 videos. If you can find it, post it. pr_capone initially nominated it.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that too much. The zero votes it would have received probably won't skew the voting too much.

cosmo20002
02-04-2014, 08:59 PM
My votes on a kind of boring heat.

#1 - No Country For Old Men - I really liked the movie, and I fondly remembered this scene, but going back and watching it is kind of a drag. It's pretty slow. I guess it's all right.

I've caught it on TV a couple times since originally seeing it and thought it was very re-watchable. It's so good you catch little things you didn't see or appreciate the first time.

TimBone
02-04-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm pretty annoyed that No Country is losing this one.

Easy 6
02-04-2014, 10:40 PM

Exactly, the Tombstone scene is iconic, particularly around here, but the NCfOM scene is a masterpiece of writing and performance.

I hear you guys, on my Grandpappy I hear you, Bardem is a virtuoso throughout that movie... but between the fact that I'm a sucker for Tombstone and the weight "well, bye" carries around here, I felt I was left with no other choice.

And you gotta give it to Boothe, his dismissive sneer in that scene is excellent in its own right.

Rain Man
02-04-2014, 10:51 PM
I've caught it on TV a couple times since originally seeing it and thought it was very re-watchable. It's so good you catch little things you didn't see or appreciate the first time.

Oh, I'm sure that I would enjoy the whole movie if I watched it again. And I remember loving the scene above during the movie. Watching it as a standalone, the bad guy seemed more mean that bizarre, though, and I didn't like that. I remembered him as being an eccentric lunatic, but not necessarily rude.

Baby Lee
02-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Oh, I'm sure that I would enjoy the whole movie if I watched it again. And I remember loving the scene above during the movie. Watching it as a standalone, the bad guy seemed more mean that bizarre, though, and I didn't like that. I remembered him as being an eccentric lunatic, but not necessarily rude.

I don't see him as rude so much as deeply annoyed at an unexamined life.

He's no fan of the comfortably content.

Rain Man
02-04-2014, 11:00 PM
I don't see him as rude so much as deeply annoyed at an unexamined life.

He's no fan of the comfortably content.

Wow. I'm seeing that scene in a whole new light now. He was trying to lift that store owner out of his rut.

Simply Red
02-05-2014, 08:48 AM
*Meet the Fockers, man boob scene*

BlackHelicopters
02-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Tombstone

wazu
02-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Tombstone may win it all.

Rain Man
02-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Tombstone looks derisively at the other scenes and says, "Well, bye," as it moves on.

TimBone
02-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Tombstone looks derisively at the other scenes and says, "Well, bye," as it moves on.

Very disappointing.

Mama Hip Rockets
02-06-2014, 06:49 PM
I hope No Country for Old Men got enough for a wild card. It would be a travesty if that scene didn't advance.

Rain Man
02-06-2014, 06:52 PM
I hope No Country for Old Men got enough for a wild card. It would be a travesty if that scene didn't advance.

It's going to be close. Right now, my guess is that a scene will probably need to be over 35 percent to get a wild card, but it could swing a percent or two in either direction.

Kaepernick
04-27-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm pretty annoyed that No Country is losing this one.

I can see why coin toss is losing. It is the best scene of the 3, but you have to know the context of the movie and the hit man's character. Without that, the scene is just confusing.

I was kind of confused that it was losing too, and I wasn't going to bother rewatching the scene because I know it, but after watching it, there are probably a lot of people that don't realize the guy won his life on the toss of that coin and if he said tails, he would have been murdered.

So yes, I can see why people unfamiliar with the movie aren't voting for it.

Also, a truly great scene should stand alone. You should be able to show the clip by itself out of the movie and it just "works".

If the scene can't stand on its own cut out of the movie, then it isn't a great scene.

I'm not saying "well, bye" is any better. You have to know the movie too, but I bet a lot more people here have seen it, so they know the context.

hometeam
04-27-2014, 08:21 PM
2 great scenes but 'well bye' will go far on CP street cred alone.