PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs New Chiefs receiver Weston Dressler will be missed in Canada

T-post Tom
02-04-2014, 11:15 PM
One of the Canadian Football League’s top players is officially headed to Kansas City.

The Chiefs signed wide receiver Weston Dressler to a reserve-futures contract Tuesday, a few days after he was released by the Saskatchewan Roughriders and declared that he had reached an agreement with a NFL team.

Saskatchewan assistant general manager Jeremy O’Day said the 28-year-old Dressler, who caught 442 passes for 6,531 yards and 43 touchdowns during his six-year career with the Roughriders and worked out for the Chiefs in early January, will be missed.

“He just felt the opportunity was a good fit for him and he didn’t want to explore anywhere else,” O’Day said. “He felt (his new team) was being very upfront with him. Weston just wants a fair opportunity to make a chance for a roster.”

O’Day said Dressler, who starred at North Dakota and is listed at 5 feet 7 and 179 pounds, never got a hard look from the NFL out of college because of his stature. But thanks to recent rule changes, NFL offenses attack the middle of the field more than ever, putting a premium on sure-handed receivers who can create separation.

“Weston is a true slot receiver and return guy,” O’Day said. “That’s what he did with us for a number of years.”

This season, Dressler helped the Roughriders win the Grey Cup championship by catching 70 passes for 1,011 yards and nine touchdowns.

“He’s not your prototypical big NFL receiver, but he’s very savvy and crafty in his route running and that’s what’s given him a lot of success out there,” O’Day said. “I don’t think you’ll find a tougher guy … when he does get hurt, he plays through those injuries, and he doesn’t want to come out of games and he doesn’t want to miss practice.”

It remains to be seen whether Dressler’s CFL success will translate to the NFL. The Chiefs would like to retain slot receiver Dexter McCluster, a free agent who made his first Pro Bowl this season as a punt returner, but their cap situation is tight for 2014 and McCluster could command a deal on the open market that’s worth more than they’re willing to pay.

If McCluster does not return ― free agency starts March 11 ― the Chiefs will also need a punt returner. Dressler only returned nine punts for 100 yards this year, but for his career, he has returned 92 punts for 907 yards. That’s 9.9 yards per return, a little shy of McCluster’s 11.8 average in 2013.

“Part of the reason we didn’t have him back there more was because we didn’t want to get him hurt,” O’Day said. “But he made some huge returns for us. He was definitely our best punt catcher and has the ability to return it as well.”

O’Day said Dressler wasn’t supposed to become a free agent until Feb. 15, but the Roughriders ― who were grateful for his contributions ― decided to let him out of his contract early so he could pursue his NFL dream.

“We didn’t want him to leave,” O’Day said. “But we wish him the best. He is a quality person, and I give the team that gives him a chance some credit because he’s succeeded in the things he’s tried.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/04/4798242/new-chiefs-receiver-weston-dressler.html#storylink=cpy

HolyHat
02-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Finally, the player to get us over the hump. Championships are a comin'

Rain Man
02-04-2014, 11:24 PM
They had to leave the country to find a player smaller than McCluster.

HolyHat
02-04-2014, 11:24 PM
They had to leave the country to find a player smaller than McCluster.

He reminds me of Wes Welker. /derp

cosmo20002
02-04-2014, 11:36 PM
For what it's worth--
8 teams in the CFL, 18 game schedule

Dressler's 70 catches were 7th in the league.
His 1011 yards were 6th.

7 players in the league had 1000+ yards and 3 were on his team.

Looking over his career, he does have pretty damn good CFL numbers.

He looks like this:
http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/images/en/general/2013/06/crop_19579855945.jpg

HolyHat
02-04-2014, 11:38 PM
He looks like this:

Would.

POND_OF_RED
02-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Are the Saskatchewan Rough Riders a tribute to Teddy Roosevelt or DMX?

cosmo20002
02-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Did you know:

That in the mid-90s the Canadian Football League included these teams:
Baltimore Stallions
Birmingham Barracudas
Las Vegas Posse
Memphis Mad Dogs
Sacramento Gold Miners
San Antonio Texans
Shreveport Pirates

Also, they spell Offense/Defense like this: Offence/Defence
That's just fucked up.

T-post Tom
02-04-2014, 11:44 PM

WHAT?!

T-post Tom
02-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Did you know:

Baltimore Stallions
Birmingham Barracudas
Las Vegas Posse
Memphis Mad Dogs
Sacramento Gold Miners
San Antonio Texans
Shreveport Pirates

That's just ****ed up.

aNd did U know that the XFL had strippers for cheerleaders? (eh, sorta)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kWQuM4GYBDc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ay4AAMKiIIM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KC_Connection
02-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Did you know:

Baltimore Stallions
Birmingham Barracudas
Las Vegas Posse
Memphis Mad Dogs
Sacramento Gold Miners
San Antonio Texans
Shreveport Pirates

That's just ****ed up.
The Ottawa Rough Riders existed back then too. You can never have enough teams named Rough Riders in the CFL.

cosmo20002
02-04-2014, 11:48 PM

I don't know, but it is Saskatchewan Roughriders

This is important because for 80 years or so, there was also a team called the Ottawa Rough Riders. They folded in 1996.

RustShack
02-04-2014, 11:49 PM
For what it's worth--
8 teams in the CFL, 18 game schedule

Dressler's 70 catches were 7th in the league.
His 1011 yards were 6th.

7 players in the league had 1000+ yards and 3 were on his team.

Looking over his career, he does have pretty damn good CFL numbers.

He looks like this:

Is he the dude who made the Eagles back in the day at open tryouts?

cosmo20002
02-04-2014, 11:51 PM
The Ottawa Rough Riders existed back then too. You can never have enough teams named Rough Riders in the CFL.

Yeah, 8 teams and two with essentially the same name. You would think one of them would budge over the 80 years they existed together. Looking for Dressler's stats, I've become fascinated with this bizarre league and have been reading over the CFL website. I kind of feel like a CFL expert now.

Hoover
02-04-2014, 11:52 PM
His numbers will explode playing with Alex Smiff!

cosmo20002
02-04-2014, 11:53 PM
aNd did U know that the XFL had strippers for cheerleaders? (eh, sorta)

That league was ahead of its time in some ways.

T-post Tom
02-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Is he the dude who made the Eagles back in the day at open tryouts?

Close... it was Marky Mark.

Why Not?
02-04-2014, 11:58 PM
This guy seems like a "bring him in for a look" joke waiting to happen but then they actually brought him in for a look....and signed him. Hope he works out. Kinda doubt he makes the roster. Cool name though.

KC_Connection
02-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Yeah, 8 teams and two with essentially the same name. You would think one of them would budge over the 80 years they existed together. Looking for Dressler's stats, I've become fascinated with this bizarre league and have been reading over the CFL website. I kind of feel like a CFL expert now.
Another interesting fact is that one guy owns two of those teams right now (Argonauts and Lions). That's apparently allowed in the CFL.

POND_OF_RED
02-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Close... it was Marky Mark.

I thought it was Tony Danza
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TONrxhLYDOQ/TCEcLl3utGI/AAAAAAAAJMY/qiv4c_MH84w/s1600/CelebRookie18Danza.JPG

mcaj22
02-05-2014, 12:06 AM
i am curious how he's going to beat the press at the NFL level, when bigger, faster guys are jamming him at the LOS, and umm he can't get his vintage running start like he did in the CFL.

T-post Tom
02-05-2014, 12:07 AM
This guy seems like a "bring him in for a look" joke waiting to happen but then they actually brought him in for a look....and signed him. Hope he works out. Kinda doubt he makes the roster. Cool name though.

Are you kidding? He's the next Wes Welker/Jordy Nelson/Danny Amendola/Julian Edelman. Or if you want to go Chiefs version: Devon Wylie/Chad Hall.

J Diddy
02-05-2014, 12:07 AM
That league was ahead of its time in some ways.

Absolutely. In fact, didn't the probowl use nicknames on the jerseys?

T-post Tom
02-05-2014, 12:08 AM
I thought it was Tony Danza
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TONrxhLYDOQ/TCEcLl3utGI/AAAAAAAAJMY/qiv4c_MH84w/s1600/CelebRookie18Danza.JPG

Kickers aren't football players. C'mon...you know that. Mike Ditka said so.

POND_OF_RED
02-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Kickers aren't football players. C'mon...you know that. Mike Ditka said so.

Good point. I was mistaken. Can't argue with Ditka.

cosmo20002
02-05-2014, 12:17 AM
i am curious how he's going to beat the press at the NFL level, when bigger, faster guys are jamming him at the LOS, and umm he can't get his vintage running start like he did in the CFL.

Under Canadian rules, the defensive line can only hold up or block a receiver within one yard of the line of scrimmage. In the NFL, contact up to five yards from the line is allowed.

Plus, in the NFL neutral zone is the ball itself. In Canada the neutral zone is a full one yard in front of the tip of the ball.

cosmo20002
02-05-2014, 12:23 AM
Some of this is probably known but--

NFL field - 100 yds by 53 yds + 10 yd end zone
CFL field - 110 yds by 65 yds + 20 yd end zone

CFL - 12 players
CFL - 3 downs

You would think there would be some crazy passing/receiving numbers with those rules and a larger field (plus two extra games), but the league leader stats aren't that much different from the NFL that I could tell.

OK, that's enough CFL knowledge.

cosmo20002
02-05-2014, 12:27 AM

Not sure. I do know the NBA is doing some nickname-jersey games this year.

J Diddy
02-05-2014, 12:27 AM
There would be a larger discrepancy if the CFL had NFL caliber players. They use the rules to provide the spark that the NFL provides with its talent.

J Diddy
02-05-2014, 12:31 AM
Not sure. I do know the NBA is doing some nickname-jersey games this year.

I saw one, but to be honest, I rarely watch an NBA game outside of the playoffs. The NBA has too few players on the court at one time to allow them to freely flow to other teams.

Stad
02-05-2014, 12:31 AM
He'll be missed in Rider Nation! he was a fan favorite here for years.

I'm just happy he signed with the Chiefs, i'm intrigued to see how he fairs under NFL rules.

cosmo20002
02-05-2014, 12:35 AM
There would be a larger discrepancy if the CFL had NFL caliber players. They use the rules to provide the spark that the NFL provides with its talent.

Well, but lesser-talent offensive players are playing against lesser-talent defensive players.

The 3 downs probably is a big damper on stats. There's gotta be a lot of 2-and-outs. That's a big difference.

cosmo20002
02-05-2014, 12:40 AM
He'll be missed in Rider Nation! he was a fan favorite here for years.

I'm just happy he signed with the Chiefs, i'm intrigued to see how he fairs under NFL rules.

I can't recall many WR or RB successes in the NFL from the CFL.
I did a search and the best I could find were Rocket Ismail and Mervyn Fernandez.

You know of any?

T-post Tom
02-05-2014, 12:43 AM
I did a search and the best I could find were Rocket Ismail and Mervyn Fernandez.

You know of any?

Joe Horn

Stad
02-05-2014, 12:47 AM

You know of any?

Nope, not off the top of my head.

mcaj22
02-05-2014, 12:56 AM
Under Canadian rules, the defensive line can only hold up or block a receiver within one yard of the line of scrimmage. In the NFL, contact up to five yards from the line is allowed.

Plus, in the NFL neutral zone is the ball itself. In Canada the neutral zone is a full one yard in front of the tip of the ball.

right, and plus he's in motion a lot, and their motion in the CFL is some crazy loopdy loo into a ****ing 5 yard running head start at the CB before the ball is snapped.

cosmo20002
02-05-2014, 01:10 AM
Joe Horn

Good call. He may be the best ever WR to come from the CFL.
A Carl success story.

From Wikipedia--
Horn didn't play a down of football for two years after leaving college. After playing two years at Itawamba Community College in Fulton, Mississippi, Horn worked at a Bojangles’ restaurant in Fayetteville, Mississippi. Down to the final $6.00 in his possession, He spent $3.99 on a Jerry Rice workout from a local Blockbuster and studied the drills and moves Rice performed in the film. Horn then made a highlight video of himself working out and sent the tape to multiple professional teams across America and Canada.

Horn tried out for the CFL Baltimore Stallions and was signed to the practice squad, but never played in a game for the team.[1] Horn was signed as a free agent by the CFL Shreveport Pirates in May 1995. Horn was traded to the Memphis Mad Dogs in June 1995. With Memphis, Horn played well, with 77 catches for more than 1,000 yards, and caught the attention of NFL scouts.

Cornstock
02-05-2014, 01:17 AM

You know of any?

Marc Boerigter Constrictor.

Love it when he's on 810, he really adds a lot of technical knowledge to the show.

If Dressler can give us a whatever season and a good season like M-Boe did I consider him a success.

Mojo Jojo
02-05-2014, 01:20 AM

You know of any?
Tamarick Vanover...played for the Vegas team before KC

T-post Tom
02-05-2014, 01:24 AM
Good call. He may be the best ever WR to come from the CFL.

Hollywood Joe Horn. You know him, you love him, you can't live w/o him:

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/planet1051.com/files/2012/06/sauces.png

T-post Tom
02-05-2014, 01:36 AM
Tamarick Vanover...played for the Vegas team before KC

Mugshot from 2011 (assaulted a pregnant woman):

http://www.lostlettermen.com/wp-content/uploads/Vanover.png

cosmo20002
02-05-2014, 01:46 AM
Marc Boerigter Constrictor.

Love it when he's on 810, he really adds a lot of technical knowledge to the show.

If Dressler can give us a whatever season and a good season like M-Boe did I consider him a success.

I was kind of going for guys who became stars or really good, but yeah, if this new guy gives a decent couple years, there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like we're exactly loaded at WR.

SPchief
02-05-2014, 02:23 AM
Mugshot from 2011 (assaulted a pregnant woman):

http://www.lostlettermen.com/wp-content/uploads/Vanover.png

Ok?

salame
02-05-2014, 02:47 AM
I thought tiny white receivers was a todd haley thing
gross

htismaqe
02-05-2014, 07:52 AM
The next Brian Shay.

Or Casey Printers.

Or...

Well, you get the picture.

htismaqe
02-05-2014, 07:55 AM

You know of any?

Lawrence Phillips says "I'm gonna hit a bitch"...

Reerun_KC
02-05-2014, 07:56 AM
The next Brian Shay.

Or Casey Printers.

Or...

Jesse Haynes?

htismaqe
02-05-2014, 07:57 AM
Jesse Haynes?

:clap:

RealSNR
02-05-2014, 08:06 AM
At first I was thinking, "Eh, maybe he'll surprise us and be that come-out-of-nowhere superstar that truly successful teams always seem to find but we never do. It's a long shot, but it's possible."

Then I realized that he played football for UND.

No. He's not going to do shit. I remember him now. You can forget it.

booger
02-05-2014, 08:36 AM
The next Brian Shay.

Or Casey Printers.

Or...

Sean LaChapelle
Ted White
Chris Hannon
Maurice Price
Will Svitek

I got to stop before I puke

booger
02-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Jesse Haynes?

Yep that's old school. Marty era

Red Dawg
02-05-2014, 08:38 AM
If Edleman can play QB at some sorry ass small college then catch 100 passes in the NFL as a WR then this guy can maybe do something positive for us.

BlackHelicopters
02-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Print 'em.

htismaqe
02-05-2014, 08:40 AM
If Edleman can play QB at some sorry ass small college then catch 100 passes in the NFL as a WR then this guy can maybe do something positive for us.

http://img.pandawhale.com/58669-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-Sm9B.gif

patteeu
02-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Some of this is probably known but--

NFL field - 100 yds by 53 yds + 10 yd end zone
CFL field - 110 yds by 65 yds + 20 yd end zone

CFL - 12 players
CFL - 3 downs

You would think there would be some crazy passing/receiving numbers with those rules and a larger field (plus two extra games), but the league leader stats aren't that much different from the NFL that I could tell.

OK, that's enough CFL knowledge.

I was wondering this the other day. Maybe you can help. Why is the NFL field 53 yards wide instead of an even 50?

Simply Red
02-05-2014, 09:18 AM
He reminds me of Wes Welker. /derp

ROFL

Beef Supreme
02-05-2014, 09:52 AM
The next "HeHateMe"

TEX
02-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Hope this isnt the end of the road for Dex in KC, but I think it is... I cant see the Chiefs keeping both small slot Wr's/ Kr's.

Dex is very unappreciated on this board but he is an ascending player with game-changing potential. Sure would hate to lose him and watch him have a good career elsewhere.

TEX
02-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Sean LaChapelle
Ted White
Chris Hannon
Maurice Price
Will Svitek

I got to stop before I puke

Marc Boerigter?

Chief Roundup
02-05-2014, 10:56 AM

I don't think it was the pro bowl. I think it was week in and week out kind of thing.
Remember He Hate Me.

BigMeatballDave
02-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Looks like he's better than Dex. We'll see.

milkman
02-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Hope this isnt the end of the road for Dex in KC, but I think it is... I cant see the Chiefs keeping both small slot Wr's/ Kr's.

Dex is very unappreciated on this board but he is an ascending player with game-changing potential. Sure would hate to lose him and watch him have a good career elsewhere.

Dex has solid hands and runs crisp routes, and those attributes can not be overlooked.

But that guy has zero tackle breaking ability and next to no elusiveness, enhanced by slightly faster than turtle speed.

O.city
02-05-2014, 11:16 AM
The way I see Dex is, he's a fine players runs good routes, good hands etc. but he's the type of player we need to look to upgrade if we are gonna take the next step.

cosmo20002
02-05-2014, 11:19 AM
I was wondering this the other day. Maybe you can help. Why is the NFL field 53 yards wide instead of an even 50?

Because then it would be too small.

Actually, it is an "even" 160 feet, which is actually a little more than 53 yards.

My best guess is that it is derived from some sort of equation involving the Masons or Illuminati and probably figures into the assassination of JFK somehow.

cosmo20002
02-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Nope, not off the top of my head.

Hey--why does the CFL use yards? Shouldn't they use meters or kilograms or cubits or whatever bizarro system you hosers use?

J Diddy
02-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Hey--why does the CFL use yards? Shouldn't they use meters or kilograms or cubits or whatever bizarro system you hosers use?

Because it would be odd saying that it is first down and 9.144 meters to go.

Chief Roundup
02-05-2014, 11:30 AM

Yeah everyone else in the world uses a "bizzaro" system even though the U.S. is the only country left that uses SAE for units of measure. We should just go ahead and get rid of the SAE system and use the metric system like everyone else.

mcaj22
02-05-2014, 11:30 AM
I think Dex becomes a Raider or Patriot and this board will turn on him so fast lol. Either way everyone will hate him once March is over

Chief Roundup
02-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I think Dex becomes a Raider or Patriot and this board will turn on him so fast lol. Either way everyone will hate him once March is over

He is not and has not been well liked for several years.

patteeu
02-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Dex has solid hands and runs crisp routes, and those attributes can not be overlooked.

But that guy has zero tackle breaking ability and next to no elusiveness, enhanced by slightly faster than turtle speed.

Yeah, I was impressed with his hands this year, but I agree with you about the downside of Dex too.

cosmo20002
02-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Yeah everyone else in the world uses a "bizzaro" system even though the U.S. is the only country left that uses SAE for units of measure. We should just go ahead and get rid of the SAE system and use the metric system like everyone else.

Never! What part of WE ARE THE UNITED STATES DAMMIT don't you understand, commie?;)

cosmo20002
02-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Because it would be odd saying that it is first down and 9.144 meters to go.

You know they have a 55 yard line? Try to wrap your head around that one.

Chief Roundup
02-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Never! What part of WE ARE THE UNITED STATES DAMMIT don't you understand, commie?;)

We rule the world. It is our way or the highway. Non conformist ;)

Mr. Laz
02-05-2014, 12:29 PM
sounds like they don't expect to keep Dex and are looking for a replacement

Dragonocho
02-05-2014, 12:39 PM
So he's 170 centimeters tall and weighs 81 KGs? Why did they not just say that, eh?

Beef Supreme
02-05-2014, 12:53 PM

We did that in 1980. Got a 2 liter bottle out of it.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
02-05-2014, 01:25 PM
You know they have a 55 yard line? Try to wrap your head around that one.

How about a 30 yard extra point, no chip shots north of the border eh!

Titty Meat
02-05-2014, 02:50 PM
He'll be back there after August.

TEX
02-06-2014, 11:11 AM

I think so too.

whoman69
02-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Adding a slot receiver should help immensely. I always wondered why the NFL did scout harder in other pro leagues. Probably won't be an expensive sign.

T-post Tom
02-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Yep that's old school. Marty era

Jesse Haynes: training camp legend. He might as well have broke an ankle on a moped.

BlackHelicopters
02-06-2014, 02:43 PM

Yep

htismaqe
02-06-2014, 05:58 PM
I always wondered why the NFL did scout harder in other pro leagues.

Because they scouted these guys coming out of college and they weren't good enough. Guys don't usually magically improve in Canada.

Halfcan
02-06-2014, 06:46 PM
moar midgets please

afchief
02-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Super Gnat has returned to Arrowhead!!!!