PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 53

Rain Man
02-07-2014, 06:50 PM
The rules:

In Round 1, I'm going to put up three randomly selected scenes from the nomination thread.

You'll vote for your ONE favorite scene among the three. The key here is FAVORITE. We're not talking about the 'best' or 'most powerful' or 'most meaningful'. We're talking about the scene that you most enjoy watching, however you define that.

The winners will move on. I'll also take the 10 highest-scoring second-place scenes and they'll advance as wild cards.

Some of our nominations did not include clips. This will be noted. If you find a clip, please post it and let me know so I can update it if it moves on.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5xsaMcw69D8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope this is the right scene. It's the closest thing I could find.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YBzWTIexszQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gPtVNDvwGMo?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TimBone
02-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Inb4 poll

Rain Man
02-07-2014, 06:53 PM
These movies all surprised me when I watched the clips. My votes:

#1 - Paths of Glory. I was thinking this was the Denzel Washington Glory movie, but it wasn't. That was an impressive and engaging scene.

#2 - The Way of the Gun. I was assuming this would be a western. It was a good scene and I was nip and tuck on voting for it as my #1. It bothered me that I couldn't find the red-haired guy in the fight, but was otherwise entertaining.

#3 - Children of Men. Based on the title, I figured this would be some kind of drama. Wrong again. I was so-so on this scene because I felt that it didn't stand on its own enough. I couldn't really figure out what was happening.

WhawhaWhat
02-07-2014, 06:56 PM
I love the opening scene of The Way of the Gun.

Discuss Thrower
02-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Children of Men or this whole process is a sham.

Rasputin
02-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Paths of Glory is one of the best war movies ever made.

Baby Lee
02-07-2014, 07:45 PM
#3 - Children of Men. Based on the title, I figured this would be some kind of drama. Wrong again. I was so-so on this scene because I felt that it didn't stand on its own enough. I couldn't really figure out what was happening.

This is about a dystopian future where the entire world is infertile. The moive starts with the world mourning the death of the world's youngest person, around 25 yo, I believe.
There is word that a woman is pregnant and Clive Owen is tasked with weaving his way through secret societies and conspiracy theorists to find who is sheltering her and take her to true shelter in an island where she can raise her child in peace. These people are finding out she has a live child and in the middle of war and poverty are moved by what they see.

THat's as succinctly as I can summarize it, I think.

Infidel Goat
02-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Bumping for lack of votes.

I went with Way of the Gun. I'm a Silverman fan, but understand she's not for everyone.

ThaVirus
02-08-2014, 03:25 PM
The Children of Men scene probably loses a shit ton of its power if the viewer doesn't understand the gravity of the event.

That was a great scene. It should win this round, in my opinion.

Rain Man
02-09-2014, 05:17 PM
To everyone's amazement, Children of Men moves on.

Bowser
02-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Bumping for lack of votes.

I went with Way of the Gun. I'm a Silverman fan, but understand she's not for everyone.

She got dropped like a bad habit. I figured that alone would garner a ton of votes. Heh.

Bowser
02-09-2014, 06:36 PM
To everyone's amazement, Children of Men moves on.

If you haven't seen the movie (and it sounds like you haven't), treat yourself and give it a watch. Pretty fantastic flick.

KChiefs1
02-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Paths of Glory is one of the best war movies ever made.

Yes it is.

Discuss Thrower
02-09-2014, 07:35 PM
If you haven't seen the movie (and it sounds like you haven't), treat yourself and give it a watch. Pretty fantastic flick.

If only from a behind-the-scenes standpoint. Cuaron's other ridiculously long takes in that movie are intense.

I reread the novel's synopsis on Wiki.. the whole thing about people dressing up kittens and puppies as babies is some fucked up shit man. Makes me incredibly sad.