View Full Version : Chiefs Alex speaks of playbook and contract

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Chiefs
Chiefs QB Alex Smith looks to the future, not the season past
By GARRETT JOHNSTON

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/08/4809279/smith-looking-to-the-future.html

Special to The Star

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. — Barely a month removed from one of the Chiefs’ biggest games in years, Alex Smith is still feeling the sting of the season-ending playoff loss at Indianapolis.

Smith and his professional partner, Brendon Todd, finished three rounds at 16-under 199 and were not in position to make the cut when play was suspended Saturday because of darkness.

“You get over it enough for sure, but it always kind of stays there a little bit,” Smith said. “You kind of have a little bitter taste in your mouth, and I don’t think that ever leaves until next season.”

Smith is not into second-guessing the way the game unfolded either. He is however looking forward to the development of coach Andy Reid’s offense moving in to their second year together.

“I’m very excited, if you look at our last eight or nine games offensively, we really did some good things and took off a little bit there,” Smith said. “And we got some momentum heading into the offseason. Obviously the playoff game was tough to take, but there are some positive things, too.”

A significant change toward a pass-heavy offense midway through the season showed a gradual building of trust between coach and personnel.

“It just kind of happened naturally,’ Smith said. “I think the defense was playing great for the first half, and we played some good defenses as well.

“It was our first year in the offense, we didn’t turn the ball over, we were opportunistic in the red zone, but yes we didn’t really have the entire playbook at hand, and that’s to be expected in the first year with a lot of new faces. So as the year went on and we got more comfortable and coach Reid got more comfortable with us and his staff, he started to trust us with more and we showed that we could handle it. By the end, I was feeling really good about things.”

Smith was also glad to see a great development in 24-year-old receiver AJ Jenkins last season. In that 45-44 playoff loss, Jenkins’ number was called on a key third-down play in the fourth quarter. Jenkins gained 27 yards and a first down.

“He came along all season,” Smith said. “and really it was coach Reid and it was a play that was designed for AJ. It was him all the way, and he stepped up with Donnie (Avery) going down.

“We put a lot of trust in him, he’d worked hard and took some huge steps I thought as the season went on, and he made a huge play there on a third down.”

That game also gave Smith a chance to show off his arm and open up the passing game.

“It was fun, I felt like Indy was just kind of a taste of what we could do,” Smith said.

Since the playoff loss, Smith participated in the Pro Bowl in Hawaii and attended the Super Bowl in New Jersey. Smith and his family are staying in northern California, and Smith says he’s “not sure” if he’ll return until April.

There are also contract questions that naturally arise.

“I’d love to be (in Kansas City),” he said. “We’ll see. I’ve still got one more year on my contract. It’s such a year-to-year deal anyway, so we’ll see what happens.

“I think at this point when you get veteran enough it’s always year to year. You just understand it’s the nature of the game. You’ve got to play good, otherwise you move on, so I don’t care how many years you’ve got on a contract, for me it’s just to be expected.”

Ultimately, Smith is happy to see the team’s progress.

“I’m excited,” Smith said. “We’re a young team. We did some things, but you’ve got to start all over now.”

HolyHat
02-09-2014, 12:49 PM
He managed his way through that interview really well. No mistakes made.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-09-2014, 12:50 PM
I caption that avay
"I madest thou look"

WakkaWakka
02-09-2014, 12:51 PM
He managed his way through that interview really well. No mistakes made.

Your sig pic is hilarious! ROFL

Rausch
02-09-2014, 12:56 PM
“I’d love to be (in Kansas City),” he said. “We’ll see. I’ve still got one more year on my contract. It’s such a year-to-year deal anyway, so we’ll see what happens.

Whut?

He'd love...to...what?

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1606783/fall-out-boy-o.gif

BlackHelicopters
02-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Whut?

He'd love...to...what?

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1606783/fall-out-boy-o.gif

We'd love to have you in Kansas City too Alex.

Rausch
02-09-2014, 01:06 PM
We'd love to have you in Kansas City too Alex.

IT'S NOT A FUCKING QUESTION!

DOUBLE DOUCE ALEX IS ON THE HOOK FOR TWO YEARS!

Brock
02-09-2014, 01:24 PM
IT'S NOT A FUCKING QUESTION!

DOUBLE DOUCE ALEX IS ON THE HOOK FOR TWO YEARS!

No.

HemiEd
02-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Smith and his professional partner, Brendon Todd, Do to the context of his San Fransico connection, when I saw this line I thought he was "coming out." NTTIAWWT

BossChief
02-10-2014, 09:01 PM
I bet he moves to KC when he gets his contract extension.

That's a factor in negotiating the deal this year versus next year.

Rausch
02-10-2014, 09:15 PM
No.

You'd disagree?

He got here on a deal and he'll only add to it...

In58men
02-10-2014, 09:38 PM
If you think Alex Smith will lead a team to a Super Bowl victory, you're an idiot. It will never happen. I'm not bashing him, he just doesn't have it in him.

HonestChieffan
02-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Alex is KC. Its real.

Wallcrawler
02-10-2014, 10:11 PM
If you think Alex Smith will lead a team to a Super Bowl victory, you're an idiot. It will never happen. I'm not bashing him, he just doesn't have it in him.

Seriously, this whole schtick is getting really fucking tired.

Anyone who has seen his playoff games knows the guy can fucking deliver in the clutch.

Kyle Williams cost the Niners a trip to the SB in his NFC title game, and our completely inept defense and a slew of injuries cost us the playoff game with the Chiefs.

Alex Smith is not the reason that those teams lost those playoff games.

Jesus Christ man, 44 points without his biggest offensive threat in Jamaal Charles for the entire game.

Take your head out of your ass. The oxygen deprivation is not only killing your brain cells, but your posts while under the effects are killing everyone else's as well.

Fuck's sake.

Psyko Tek
02-10-2014, 10:18 PM

if you think he was the problem in the colts game
your an idiot

Brock
02-10-2014, 10:19 PM
You'd disagree?

He got here on a deal and he'll only add to it...

1 yr left.

Tribal Warfare
02-10-2014, 10:20 PM

Anyone who has seen his playoff games knows the guy can fucking deliver in the clutch.

Kyle Williams cost the Niners a trip to the SB in his NFC title game, and our completely inept defense and a slew of injuries cost us the playoff game with the Chiefs.

Jesus Christ man, 44 points without his biggest offensive threat in Jamaal Charles for the entire game.

Take your head out of your ass. The oxygen deprivation is not only killing your brain cells, but your posts while under the effects are killing everyone else's as well.

Fuck's sake.

Yet, they didn't win with such a cushion.

chiefforlife
02-10-2014, 10:20 PM

Fuck's sake.

Yep!

Rausch
02-10-2014, 10:22 PM
If you think Alex Smith will lead a team to a Super Bowl victory, you're an idiot.

Peyed-A-Ton managed to do so and he just took the fucking dream offense to 8 points of sodomy.

It's...not...on...him...

BossChief
02-10-2014, 10:50 PM

Why can't he?

mcaj22
02-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Why can't he?

answer: our defense is overrated.

-King-
02-10-2014, 11:09 PM

Yeah, Alex Smith has to be a better safety than he was last year. Can't believe how many TDs he allowed that playoff game.

Easy 6
02-10-2014, 11:15 PM
If the Indy game was a preview of things to come, I want this guy here for atleast the next 3 years no doubt about it... the guy who played that game absolutely CAN win a Super Bowl.

He showed you everything... deep passes, short passes, shovel passes, passes on the run, ran the ball well... it was a COMPLETE performance and it was accomplished without his best weapon from the start and later on his #2 receiver.

displacedinMN
02-10-2014, 11:19 PM
I thought he would say

"it is just too cold in KC right now"

Come the MPLS 42 days with sub zero temps this winter

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-11-2014, 07:41 AM
If the Indy game was a preview of things to come, I want this guy here for atleast the next 3 years no doubt about it... the guy who played that game absolutely CAN win a Super Bowl.

He showed you everything... deep passes, short passes, shovel passes, passes on the run, ran the ball well... it was a COMPLETE performance and it was accomplished without his best weapon from the start and later on his #2 receiver.

So, what you're saying is he's a poor mans Johnny Manziel

Three7s
02-11-2014, 07:55 AM
And here....we....go!

Anyone got that gif?

FRCDFED
02-11-2014, 07:58 AM
So, what you're saying is he's a poor mans Johnny Manziel

Why the hate? Terrible analogy. Manziel hasn't done shit against NFL defenses.

Alex is a very effective QB. He is probably the best QB KC has had in a very very long time. IMO he is much better than Green. All Green could throw was hook routes and swing passes to Priest. Smith runs this offense very well. I had my doubts early last season when Smith seemed to just completely overlook the intermediate routes but by seasons end he changed my mind.

He needs to be our QBOTF for at least the next 3-5 years and gives us our best chance to win a SB.

He does not restrict this offense and is not a liability! He will show that he is the reason this offense even works.

htismaqe
02-11-2014, 08:35 AM
All Green could throw was hook routes and swing passes to Priest.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Three7s
02-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Why the hate? Terrible analogy. Manziel hasn't done shit against NFL defenses.

Alex is a very effective QB. He is probably the best QB KC has had in a very very long time. IMO he is much better than Green. All Green could throw was hook routes and swing passes to Priest. Smith runs this offense very well. I had my doubts early last season when Smith seemed to just completely overlook the intermediate routes but by seasons end he changed my mind.

He needs to be our QBOTF for at least the next 3-5 years and gives us our best chance to win a SB.

He does not restrict this offense and is not a liability! He will show that he is the reason this offense even works.
Uhhh.....no

Wallcrawler
02-11-2014, 08:52 AM

Yeah, Alex Smith really did a shit job covering T.Y. Hilton.

Lzen
02-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Alex....is much better than Green. All Green could throw was hook routes and swing passes to Priest....

Dumb.

I like Alex but this post is so full of stupid I don't know where to start.

Edit: I searched and searched for highlights but they are nowhere to be found for some weird reason. But I did find this gem. This is neither a hook route or a swing pass.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TA99lGmVzFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just sayin'.

FRCDFED
02-11-2014, 08:57 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

IIRC CP coined his nickname "Trinterception" his first season in KC until they had to change the offensive scheme so Kennison and Co. could run hooks and Priest took over.

ChiefGator
02-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Dumb.

I like Alex but this post is so full of stupid I don't know where to start.

Yep.

If Trent Green had any advantage it was the immense amount of pre-snap movement that often allowed him to get a good read on the defense and have receivers running free.

Jimmya
02-11-2014, 08:59 AM
This morning on Serius nfl radio they said that not everyone in the chiefs upper management was on board. Sounds like they may wait to see how the season plays out.

Three7s
02-11-2014, 08:59 AM
IIRC CP coined his nickname "Trinterception" his first season in KC until they had to change the offensive scheme so Kennison and Co. could run hooks and Priest took over.
LMAO

Never seen a Trent Green hater around here.

FRCDFED
02-11-2014, 09:00 AM
LMAO

Never seen a Trent Green hater around here.

Hater? No. Realist? Absolutely. Take off the homer glasses.

Three7s
02-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Watch the video, genious.

Wallcrawler
02-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Sorry, but you don't go over 4k yards passing 3 years running if the only thing you can throw is a hook route, or a swing pass.

That's just pure, unadulterated stupidity there.

Three7s
02-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Sorry, but you don't go over 4k yards passing 3 years running if the only thing you can throw is a hook route, or a swing pass.

Not to mention, the video shows Green throwing a go route, which is not a hook nor a swing pass.

Lzen
02-11-2014, 09:07 AM

Here's another one, you dummy. Notice the first TD 11 seconds into the vid.
Again, that is neither a hook nor a swing pass.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8003b4cb/Chiefs-30-Dolphins-20

Lzen
02-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Yep.

If Trent Green had any advantage it was the immense amount of pre-snap movement that often allowed him to get a good read on the defense and have receivers running free.

And he had a great offensive line.

Three7s
02-11-2014, 09:08 AM

I don't think it's stupidity. I think it's complete ignorance.

Tribal Warfare
02-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Yeah, Alex Smith really did a shit job covering T.Y. Hilton.

Why couldn't he maintain the lead with the shit secondary of the Colts? "Good enough" wasn't enough

BossChief
02-11-2014, 08:35 PM
And he had a great offensive line.

I like to refer to it as the line of fame.

Easy 6
02-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Why couldn't he maintain the lead with the shit secondary of the Colts? "Good enough" wasn't enough

That shit secondary was good enough to beat the Broncos and Seahawks among others...

-King-
02-11-2014, 08:40 PM

Cause he doesn't play defense.

How many times do you have to be owned on this subject before you stop saying stupid shit?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tribal Warfare
02-11-2014, 08:41 PM
That shit secondary was good enough to beat the Broncos and Seahawks among others...

but he couldn't maintain the lead, and that secondary was playing like shit in THAT game. The other games don't mean squat, during the playoff game the Colts secondary was shitting themselves.

BossChief
02-11-2014, 08:42 PM

Dude. Let. It. Go.

I think the longer you hold onto this Alex Smith grudge, the less you are gonna enjoy this team going forward.

I mean, really...did we just go through a span of nearly 10 years worth of high draft picks being developed in front of us to where half the teams starters are probowl quality and you're gonna throw the baby out with the bath water?

I think we all need to realize that this Alex Smith/Andy Reid marriage has the definite possibility of being BETTER than the Andy Reid/Donovan McNabb marriage was, albeit for a shorter time.

Maybe Alex just needed a coach that could use all his tools and now he has one.

The man played the best football of his career in the last 7 games (including the playoff game)

Take a deep breath and try to enjoy the ride.

Tribal Warfare
02-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Dude. Let. It. Go.

Grudge? No grudge at all, if you want to add emotions in the issue then that's your thing.

-King-
02-11-2014, 08:45 PM
but he couldn't maintain the lead, and that secondary was playing like shit in THAT game. The other games don't mean squat, during the playoff game the Colts secondary was shitting themselves.

380 yards
4 touchdowns
57 yards

How many QBs had better games against the colts this season?
Posted via Mobile Device

Big Poppa Payne
02-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Alex Smith played great in that wild card game, he was scrambling, extending plays and making things happen. The defense let the team down, Alex didn't lose that game. Injuries, little to no pressure on Luck and piss poor safety play lost that game. Oh, and Bob Sutton.

Tribal Warfare
02-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Alex Smith played great in that wild card game, he was scrambling, extending plays and making things happen. The defense let him down, he didn't lose that game.

He couldn't maintain plain and simple. If Alex did it would be a different discussion all together.

MahiMike
02-11-2014, 08:48 PM
"Smith and his professional partner,"

For a minute I thought we were talking about Aaron Rodgers.

-King-
02-11-2014, 08:50 PM
He couldn't maintain plain and simple. If Alex did it would be a different discussion all together.

Do you, prison bitch and reerun share a helmet?
Posted via Mobile Device

Big Poppa Payne
02-11-2014, 08:52 PM

Maintain? You must of watched a different game then I did. I thought Alex Smith did everything that could be expected out of him. If he didn't play like he did in the first half the Chiefs would've been blown out.

Easy 6
02-11-2014, 08:53 PM

13 points, on the road, in the playoffs, after the colts had the half to adjust, without his best weapon and then without his #2 receiver... should. have. won. the. game.

I know those facts wont change your mind among a few others, but the truth is our defense sucked on ballsack and our offense played great... it really is that simple.

Tribal Warfare
02-11-2014, 08:56 PM
13 points, on the road, in the playoffs, after the colts had the half to adjust, without his best weapon and then without his #2 receiver... should. have. won. the. game.

I know those facts wont change your mind among a few others, but the truth is our defense sucked on ballsack and our offense played great... it really is that simple.

He couldn't maintain the lead is fact when had that 28 point cushion. Franchise QBs do that when put in that situation.

Brock
02-11-2014, 08:59 PM

You do have a point, but it takes more than great qb play to win in the playoffs. He played better than anyone had a right to expect, and nobody bailed him out when the passing game stopped working. The guy's pretty good, and this team has huge problems elsewhere.

Big Poppa Payne
02-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Imagine what he will do if they give him some weapons, mainly a #1 WR and a consistent TE who can catch the ball and stay healthy.

Bowser
02-11-2014, 09:03 PM
He couldn't maintain the lead is fact when had that 28 point cushion. Franchise QBs do that when put in that situation.

Come on. That was a historic defensive collapse, and Andy played it safe on offense 3/4ths of the second half of that game.

Alex is just fine. Blame the defense for Indy. This shouldn't even be being discussed.

Tribal Warfare
02-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Come on. That was a historic defensive collapse, and Andy played it safe on offense 3/4ths of the second half of that game.

Alex is just fine. Blame the defense for Indy. This shouldn't even be being discussed.

Did he maintain the lead, with a 28 point cushion? why is it so hard to understand that Alex did have a part in the loss also, the defense didn't do him any favors but when Alex fumbled with that strip sack it changed the face of the game.

Bowser
02-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Did he maintain the lead, with a 28 point cushion? why is it so hard to understand that Alex did have a part in the loss also, the defense didn't do him any favors but when Alex fumbled with that strip sack it changed the face of the game.

Sure it did, but THAT was what lost it for us? Really?

Alex was just about the last thing wrong with the Chiefs that day.

Tribal Warfare
02-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Sure it did, but THAT was what lost it for us? Really?

Alex was just about the last thing wrong with the Chiefs that day.

Yeah, something like that kills momentum and it killed the offense too. Which why I'm referring to him unable to maintain a 28 point lead.

Easy 6
02-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Imagine what he will do if they give him some weapons, mainly a #1 WR and a consistent TE who can catch the ball and stay healthy.

Cant. Freakin. Wait.

I'm confident receiver help is on the way, but we damn sure better not go status quo at TE, that's just not good enough... Fasano needs to go and then we need to nab a hotshot rookie in the draft.

WakkaWakka
02-11-2014, 09:16 PM
:facepalm: JFC not this discussion again.

Brock
02-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Yeah, he had a part in the loss. A pretty small one, and microscopic in comparison to some other players.

Big Poppa Payne
02-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Cant. Freakin. Wait.

I'm confident receiver help is on the way, but we damn sure better not go status quo at TE, that's just not good enough... Fasano needs to go and then we need to nab a hotshot rookie in the draft.

I couldn't agree more.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Oh, God, not this retarded shit again. :facepalm: I don't even know why you try and argue with dumb. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

O.city
02-11-2014, 09:35 PM
It's funny that if you flipped halves and Smith put up 31 points in the second half vs the first how the narrative would be different.

O.city
02-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Yeah, something like that kills momentum and it killed the offense too. Which why I'm referring to him unable to maintain a 28 point lead.

Ah the phantom "momentum".

mcaj22
02-11-2014, 09:39 PM
It's funny that if you flipped halves and Smith put up 31 points in the second half vs the first how the narrative would be different.

or if our defense wasn't the most over hyped defense in the NFL and actually locked it down for even one series.

O.city
02-11-2014, 09:41 PM
or if our defense wasn't the most over hyped defense in the NFL and actually locked it down for even one series.

More hyperbole please

mcaj22
02-11-2014, 09:43 PM
More hyperbole please

so you're saying we don't have an overrated defense? right.

O.city
02-11-2014, 09:45 PM
so you're saying we don't have an overrated defense? right.

What is overrated. The talent? The scheme?

Red Dawg
02-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Any thought of Smith being the problem in our playoff loss is pure hater and stupid. Injuries are number one reason. Poor pass rush is second. Poor safety play is third.

Wallcrawler
02-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Any shot to burn the clock through the ground game went down with Knile Davis' broken leg.

We got one dimensional pretty quickly, and the Colts were able to pretty easily stop Dwayne Bowe once Donnie Avery went out with the concussion.

Andy Reid is a terrible game manager in regard to time. If he was going to go conservative with the offense, the least he could have done was had the team run the play clock out before each snap.

If the defense makes a single goddamn stop instead of surrendering touchdowns within 2 minutes every time they took the field, we aren't having this conversation.

44 points, on the road, without the threat of our biggest offensive weapon is more than enough production from the offense to win a football game.

Saccopoo
02-11-2014, 11:41 PM
What is overrated. The talent? The scheme?

Honestly?

The talent.

DJ is our best player and deserves the recognition. After that, it falls off.

Hali is tenacious as hell, but he's got zero moves and relies on a bull rush 95% of the time.

Berry is a linebacker. And not even the best one on the team. (See above.)

Flowers had his worst season this past season and it was indeed bad.

Poe was basically stuffed once teams started chipping him.

Houston was barely noticeable after the first four games, where he inflated his sack total against rookie right tackles.

People think it's scheme, and to some degree they are correct, but these guys have to be better than what they showed against the Colts if they are theoretically "All Pro" level guys.

Hali, Houston, Poe...those guys generated absolutely zero pass rush against a Colts offensive line that was getting manhandled previously. They got owned in their one on one matchups.

Berry was flat out awful against the Colts.

They are all Pro Bowl and/or All Pro players.

That's overrated.

Jimmya
02-12-2014, 06:08 AM
Bottom line is Sutton is not very good. Sad thing is we will be here again next year.

milkman
02-12-2014, 06:47 AM
Seriously, this whole schtick is getting really ****ing tired.

Anyone who has seen his playoff games knows the guy can ****ing deliver in the clutch.

****'s sake.

Alex Smith is not the reason the Chiefs their playoff game, and while Williams is the goat that people point to for that 9er loss against the Giants in the NFC championship game, Alex Smith and that offense are every bit as responsilble.

milkman
02-12-2014, 06:52 AM

Holy crap!

Just when you think stupidity has reached it's limit, it takes one more step.

milkman
02-12-2014, 07:04 AM

Your daddy is a dumbass.
You inherited his intelligence.

Three7s
02-12-2014, 07:48 AM
I wonder if people thought the same way about Warren Moon after the Bills legendary comeback against the Oilers 10+ years ago in the playoffs.

LMAO

Can't hold the big lead? BLAME THE QB!

Jimmya
02-12-2014, 07:54 AM
Did Moon ever even compete in a superbowl?

milkman
02-12-2014, 07:56 AM

Did you start watching football just last month?

htismaqe
02-12-2014, 08:00 AM

Nope.

htismaqe
02-12-2014, 08:01 AM
In fact, I think Moon was the QB of the lights out 15-1 Minnesota team that lost to Atlanta in the playoffs in 1998.

milkman
02-12-2014, 08:21 AM
In fact, I think Moon was the QB of the lights out 15-1 Minnesota team that lost to Atlanta in the playoffs in 1998.

Randall Cunningham.

Lzen
02-12-2014, 08:21 AM

You sure that wasn't Randall Cunningham?

TEX
02-12-2014, 08:26 AM
You sure that wasn't Randall Cunningham?

It was Cunningham...Moon was the Oilers QB for the biggest playoff collapse in NFL history against Buffalo. He was also the last QB that the Chiefs beat in the playoffs...(I was there!)

mikey23545
02-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Grudge? No grudge at all, if you want to add emotions in the issue then that's your thing.

Goddamn, Alex is so far inside your head he probably can't see daylight anymore...

LMAO