PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Reaction to Marcus smart shoving a fan

Pages : [1] 2

chiefzilla1501
02-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10426105

Just curious... If the fan called Smart a racial slur, was he justified for shoving the fan.

I think its an interesting debate about where the line should be drawn for fans to get away with jawing at players. Let's first see if there's any truth to this. My personal opinion is that sports should have leeway for fan behavior, but there's a line that fans too often cross.

Reerun_KC
02-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Smart is a stupid N word. No one denys it.

kchero
02-09-2014, 01:53 PM
According to the article, this same fan has been a pest to other players as well for some years ago.

Discuss Thrower
02-09-2014, 01:54 PM
If you have the gall to heckle an amateur athlete then you should be prepared for whatever consequences come your way.

houstonwhodat

Sticks and stones.

Prison Bitch
If you have the gall to heckle an amateur athlete then you should be prepared for whatever consequences come your way.

Ridiculous. Neg rep.

Brock
Sounds like a made up excuse. He probably just slandered a guy to cover his ass.

Reerun_KC
02-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Sticks and stones.

Exactly my point.

KC_Connection
Wow. I'm not one for giving out suspensions/bans on this forum generally, but wow.

BlackHelicopters
Smart crossed the line. No matter what language was used.

MrGiggity
02-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Both are in the wrong. Smart should be suspended 3 games. The fan should be banned from attending anymore games.

Sure-Oz
An old bastard heckling a college athelete is pretty bad, atleast Smart didn't punch him. Should've walked off but im sure everyone on here would be super calm there

Buehler445
There is quite the analysis in the KU thread.

Sure-Oz

Can't tell if serious

Ceej
If i was the fan i would have flopped.

How great would that have been?

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Sounds like a made up excuse. He probably just slandered a guy to cover his ass.
You do realize the guy actually admitted to running his mouth and saying something he shouldn't have to Smart, right?

Reerun_KC
02-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Wow. I'm not one for giving out suspensions/bans on this forum. But wow.

ROFL. Man up grow a pair and move on. Amazing how amany little buddy feelings get hurt. You a man or a 5 year old kid?

You going to fight me or shove me now?

Reerun_KC
02-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Can't tell if serious

Not. I could give two shits about marcus smart in reality.

houstonwhodat
02-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Smart is a punk.

You get into a position where you make millions of dollars playing a fucking game.

So when you hear that shit you let it roll off your back like a duck.

And laugh all the way to the bank.

What do you think Jackie Robinson went through?

Smart could never handle that.

Reerun_KC
02-09-2014, 01:59 PM
If i was the fan i would have flopped.

How great would that have been?

Would of been epic.

Brock
You do realize the guy actually admitted to running his mouth and saying something he shouldn't have to Smart, right?

No. I only have a cursory awareness of the event.

KC_Connection
ROFL. Man up grow a pair and move on. Amazing how amany little buddy feelings get hurt. You a man or a 5 year old kid?

You going to fight me or shove me now?
You're an absolute embarrassment. Might want to stop this.

houstonwhodat
02-09-2014, 02:01 PM

So what.

You can talk all you want.

You touch me then we have a problem.

Reerun_KC
You're an absolute embarrassment. Might want to stop this.

Just dont shove me. Okay?

Bambi

You're an embarrassment.

Iconic
02-09-2014, 02:02 PM

Douche.

SPATCH
02-09-2014, 02:02 PM

Stop posting.

Prison Bitch
02-09-2014, 02:03 PM
OSU to hold a press conference at 5pm with Smart, Ford, and A.D. Holder.

Reerun_KC
02-09-2014, 02:03 PM
You're an embarrassment.

I should be careful, you are now justifed for violence. I sure dont want to go to the hospital.

Reerun_KC
02-09-2014, 02:04 PM

Ford has no control over that team. He cant suspend smart.

Prison Bitch
Ford has no control over that team. He cant suspend smart.

I suspect it won't be his decision to make.

Bambi

My guess is Smart will read a written apology and the team will suspend him one game hoping that the Big 12 considers this adequate.

A short time thereafter we will here what the Big 12 has to say.

jspchief
02-09-2014, 02:05 PM
I watched a clip starting at when Smart was on the ground. It's clear from his reaction that something pretty nasty was said.

I don't have a big problem with it. It was only a shove. Fans shouldn't get a free pass any more than athletes should.

Bambi
02-09-2014, 02:06 PM
I should be careful, you are now justifed for violence. I sure dont want to go to the hospital.

Show me video of you telling a black guy he's a nigger or telling him to go back to Africa.

Do that and I'll apologize to you and just admit that you're keeping it real.

Reerun_KC
02-09-2014, 02:06 PM
I suspect it won't be his decision to make.

He should be fired for letting it get this far anyways. Smarts antics have put this team into a death spiral all year..

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Seems you probably deserve at least as much as this Tech asshole got.

Eleazar
02-09-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm sure most guys would say "he called me a racial slur" so they could try to avoid suspension.

Kman34
02-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Smart is a punk.

You get into a position where you make millions of dollars playing a ****ing game.

So when you hear that shit you let it roll off your back like a duck.

And laugh all the way to the bank.

What do you think Jackie Robinson went through?

Smart could never handle that.

First of all he's a college player not a pro so he's not making millions.
Second he's just a kid and has a lot of growing up to do before having the maturity to deal with those kind of situations.

KChiefs1
Doug Gottlieb & him are best buds.

KC_Connection
I'm sure most guys would say "he called me a racial slur" so they could try to avoid suspension.
And this deceit would go through Smart's mind seconds after reacting?

Amazing the lengths some are going to deny something awful was said here.

O.city
02-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Something awful was obviously said. Still, you don't go into the stands after a fan. Gotta be thick skinned. It's not fair, but it's the way it is.

Setsuna
02-09-2014, 02:11 PM
I'd have a beer with Reerun anytime. He good people. Bambi on the other hand. Doubtful.

Buehler445
02-09-2014, 02:12 PM
If anyone thinks something awful was NOT said, they're an idiot.

If anyone thinks this environment is any different than almost every other player faces, also an idiot.

ChiTown
02-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Obviously, Orr said something to Smart for him to react like he did. What he said to draw the initial reaction, we don't have video on. We just see what transpires after Marcus gets in his face. The guy obviously says something that we see on video, but it isn't "go back to Africa" or "Nigger". Unless another TT fan or employee at the event can corroborate what came out of Orr's mouth, or Orr cops to coming clean on a racial slur, this is going to look bad for Smart only.

Reerun_KC
02-09-2014, 02:13 PM
And this deceit would go through Smart's mind seconds after reacting?

Amazing the lengths some are going to deny something awful was said here.

Amazing the lengths people will go through to make smart out to be a martyr for the betterment of man kind.

Prison Bitch
The idea of booing or heckling a college player is pretty weak. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I think booing pros is perfectly fine though, I've done it plenty at Royals and Chiefs games.

One time I heckled Darrin Erstad of the Angels in a late season game as he warmed up on the batters box. He was having a terrible year. He looked at me and said "How much did you make this year?' What a buffoon turd.

Reerun_KC
If anyone thinks something awful was NOT said, they're an idiot.

If anyone thinks this environment is any different than almost every other player faces, also an idiot.

You calling me an idiot?

Mr. Flopnuts
02-09-2014, 02:14 PM

This post was reported. Here's another one of those damned if you do, and damned if you don't situations we face as moderators. People are going to be pissed no matter what action is taken.

That said, I'd ban you for a week in a heartbeat if this was my board. Racism has no place here, and that's been said over and over again. But it's never really followed through with. We just wag our fingers and say "you better not!" but look the other way when it happens.

This isn't my board, and I have my directives, so I'm giving you a pass. Racism is something I don't deal with here because apparently I'm too "sensitive" when it comes to groups being stereotyped and verbally abused.

So I guess it will come down to the other mods on what action if any, should be taken.

Reerun, I fuck with you a lot but deep down you entertain me on this board. That was some low brow shit, and you should genuinely be ashamed of it. You're not, and that's fine. You can even come back and take a snipe at me, I'm not going to respond to it. Just know that I'm being real here.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Amazing the lengths people will go through to make smart out to be a martyr for the betterment of man kind.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. That should be your life motto.

Discuss Thrower
This post was reported. Here's another one of those damned if you do, and damned if you don't situations we face as moderators. People are going to be pissed no matter what action is taken.

That said, I'd ban you for a week in a heartbeat if this was my board. Racism has no place here, and that's been said over and over again. But it's never really followed through with. We just wag our fingers and say "you better not!" but look the other way when it happens.

This isn't my board, and I have my directives, so I'm giving you a pass. Racism is something I don't deal with here because apparently I'm too "sensitive" when it comes to groups being stereotyped and verbally abused.

So I guess it will come down to the other mods on what action if any, should be taken.

Reerun, I fuck with you a lot but deep down you entertain me on this board. That was some low brow shit, and you should genuinely be ashamed of it. You're not, and that's fine. You can even come back and take a snipe at me, I'm not going to respond to it. Just know that I'm being real here.

Ooh. Killem.

Reerun_KC
I'd have a beer with Reerun anytime. He good people. Bambi on the other hand. Doubtful.

The deal is its a 50/50 deal. Neither side is right and both aides share equal fault.

The tech tool should of kept his mouth ahut and smart neess to be the bigger man by walking away.

Setsuna
02-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Reerun, I **** with you a lot but deep down you entertain me on this board. That was some low brow shit, and you should genuinely be ashamed of it. You're not, and that's fine. You can even come back and take a snipe at me, I'm not going to respond to it. Just know that I'm being real here.
Come on Flop. It didn't bother me none.

Reerun_KC
02-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. That should be your life motto.

This is where you grab a mirror and reflext on the above post.

ChiTown
02-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Reerun, I **** with you a lot but deep down you entertain me on this board. That was some low brow shit, and you should genuinely be ashamed of it. You're not, and that's fine. You can even come back and take a snipe at me, I'm not going to respond to it. Just know that I'm being real here.

:spock:

Mr. Flopnuts
The idea of booing or heckling a college player is pretty weak. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I think booing pros is perfectly fine though, I've done it plenty at Royals and Chiefs games.

One time I heckled Darrin Erstad of the Angels in a late season game as he warmed up on the batters box. He was having a terrible year. He looked at me and said "How much did you make this year?' What a buffoon turd.

You should've looked at him and said "Not as much as you, but at least I EARNED my money, ya chump!"

Reerun_KC

Makes no difference. Much worse goes on here. Do what ypu want.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 02:20 PM
You're saying this forum is full of people calling others stupid ****ers?

Mr. Flopnuts
02-09-2014, 02:20 PM
This is what I mean. It's okay to call someone an N-word, but not a nigger. What the fuck is the difference? And this is why I do not handle the racism around here. Because I am apparently too sensitive too it. It should still be okay for me to state my opinion on it.

Setsuna
02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
A lot of these words of wisdom or quotes or whatever stem from the Bible. Think about that.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-09-2014, 02:22 PM

I'm not doing anything bro. At all. It's not my board, and it's not my rules. I'm just stating my opinion. What is the difference to you between saying n word and just typing out nigger in that scenario?

Reerun_KC
02-09-2014, 02:22 PM
This is what I mean. It's okay to call someone an N-word, but not a ****er. What the **** is the difference? And this is why I do not handle the racism around here. Because I am apparently too sensitive too it. It should still be okay for me to state my opinion on it.
You opinion and thoughts are fine.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
I'd really like to have a rational discussion out of this, because to me it's pretty fucking obvious, but I've been wrong before...

Pepe Silvia
02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
That wasn't very smart.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-09-2014, 02:24 PM
And all that said, I'm the over the top KING. By a fucking mile. 400lb sodomization, and dying breeds are my fucking calling cards here. It's not like I'm innocent by any measure. I've done and said some pretty vile shit. I'm not trying to be a hypocrite. I just don't think racism has any place in this community. And that was racist as fuck too me.

Setsuna
02-09-2014, 02:25 PM
This is what I mean. It's okay to call someone an N-word, but not a ****er. What the **** is the difference? And this is why I do not handle the racism around here. Because I am apparently too sensitive too it. It should still be okay for me to state my opinion on it.
Think of it this way. Because you've lost your innocence the only word you think about when the "N" is used is that one, but anyone else who hasn't been exposed to it will have no idea and it no longer becomes bad. So to you it may be bad but in another person's perception it isn't. Idk I know in people's minds they say the most evil things you can think of. I know that many Caucasian people over 30 have some form of reservations of other races, but hey they aren't going out forming large groups lynching them so meh. That's the way I see it.

Dave Lane

This. N word or not there is no excuse

Prison Bitch
You should've looked at him and said "Not as much as you, but at least I EARNED my money, ya chump!"

Nice. I feel like Costanza, now I need to spend years working my way back to "ZING" him!

gblowfish
02-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Isn't it the Big 12 Commish who would decide if the player gets suspended?

ping2000
02-09-2014, 02:27 PM
What if he called him a thug? Apparently now code language.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Think of it this way. Because you've lost your innocence the only word you think about when the "N" is used is that one, but anyone else who hasn't been exposed to it will have no idea and it no longer becomes bad. So to you it may be bad but in another person's perception it isn't. Idk I know in people's minds they say the most evil things you can think of. I know that many Caucasian people over 30 have some form of reservations of other races, but hey they aren't going out forming large groups lynching them so meh. That's the way I see it.

Well I'll be the first to admit that my expectations of how the world should be are unrealistic, and never going to happen. At least not in my life time. I'm over 30, I have reservations. But it's to life styles, not skin color. In this day and age the thug mentality comes in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

Nice. I feel like Costanza, now I need to spend years working my way back to "ZING" him!

ROFL Nice.

Setsuna
02-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Also regardless of saying N or the entire word, the person saying it is doing it with evil intentions to emotionally harm another and whatever ensues afterwards I hope they are prepared for whatever happens. But also think of the people who the words are directed at. Because there has been this stigma of "trust no one but your own "kind"" that's been prevalent in non white circles and communities or whatever that word or any like it are allowed to sustain their power. If a large portion of people can just ignore those words then this won't be a problem and I think it's very possible to achieve because of the simple fact that those words have become so powerful the opposite can happen to make them powerless.

Bambi
02-09-2014, 02:31 PM

I don't know who you are?

notorious
02-09-2014, 02:33 PM
That wasn't very smart.

http://i.imgur.com/UmpOi.gif

:D

ChiTown
What if he called him a thug? Apparently now code language.

Thug is code? I use thug to describe people both black or white. Thug? Ridiculous.............

Shogun
addrenalines a helluva drug

Setsuna
02-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Well I'll be the first to admit that my expectations of how the world should be are unrealistic, and never going to happen. At least not in my life time. I'm over 30, I have reservations. But it's to life styles, not skin color. In this day and age the thug mentality comes in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

ROFL Nice.
Hmmm I hear ya man. I'd probably agree with your expectations. And I don't necessarily think it's a "thug" mentality it's "willing ignorance" in my opinion.

The Bad Guy

Like it's a shock to anyone, but you are a fucking racist bastard.

Setsuna
I don't know who you are?

I'm a black person. That's all you need to know.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-09-2014, 02:36 PM
If the guy dropped a racial slur I'd have no problem with Smart whipping his ass right then and there.

Honestly, more fans should get their asses whipped at sporting events.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Also regardless of saying N or the entire word, the person saying it is doing it with evil intentions to emotionally harm another and whatever ensues afterwards I hope they are prepared for whatever happens. But also think of the people who the words are directed at. Because there has been this stigma of "trust no one but your own "kind"" that's been prevalent in non white circles and communities or whatever that word or any like it are allowed to sustain their power. If a large portion of people can just ignore those words then this won't be a problem and I think it's very possible to achieve because of the simple fact that those words have become so powerful the opposite can happen to make them powerless.

:clap: As much as I agree with that sentiment, as a white guy, it's really not my place to state it. You however, can. And I applaud you for it. There are plenty of shitty things people say to me but I don't give them credence. Why would I give someone else power over my self worth?

ping2000
02-09-2014, 02:37 PM
I remember a kid that played for Shawnee Mission East. He wore black converse high tops. This is when everyone wore white shoes. Creatively, we would chant "we want black shoes, we want black shoes." Thankfully, he did not come into the stands and confront us. This was the extent of our bad fan behavior. Yes, I am old.

The Bad Guy
02-09-2014, 02:37 PM
If the guy dropped a racial slur I'd have no problem with Smart whipping his ass right then and there.

Yep. Absolutely this.

This asshole fan is notorious for saying shit to players and one finally pushed him back.

I'm not going to throw the book at a 20 year old college kid and just let the behavior of a 50 some year old slide.

ChiTown
02-09-2014, 02:38 PM

:clap:

Prison Bitch
02-09-2014, 02:38 PM

And with that, Hamas declares US laws nullified.

Reerun_KC
02-09-2014, 02:39 PM
One of my best buddies here in Norman is black. Name is patrick. He calls big dirty white money making change for the poor folks. And I call him p diddy sugar snack. Onw.of the greatest people you would ever meet.

Even he say marcus smart was stupid and offensive to his race regardless of what was said.

Said there is a a difference between a black person and a n word. Also there is a difference between a white person and a white trash cracka.

We just hung up fron discussing it.

KC_Connection

Assholes like this definitely shouldn't have the right to say whatever the hell they want to these athletes (and I think we've all heard some really ugly shit at college games over the years).

notorious
If college basketball mattered before the tournament I might give a fuck.

The Bad Guy
02-09-2014, 02:40 PM
One of my best buddies here in Norman is black. Name is patrick. He calls big dirty white money making change for the poor folks. And I call him p diddy sugar snack. Onw.of the greatest people you would ever meet.

Even he say marcus smart was stupid and offensive to his race regardless of what was said.

Said there is a a difference between a black person and a n word. Also there is a difference between a white person and a white trash cracka.

So you just pretend to be a racist on here?

I don't give a shit if you had 100 black friends.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 02:42 PM

Oh, the old "I have black friends" excuse. Yep, totally negates the racist comment you just made on here.

Setsuna
:clap: As much as I agree with that sentiment, as a white guy, it's really not my place to state it. You however, can. And I applaud you for it. There are plenty of shitty things people say to me but I don't give them credence. Why would I give someone else power over my self worth?
Exactly. You've realized it over time or was raised well to realize it, but that just doesn't happen as often as we'd like in the black communities because it's acceptable, encouraged, and easy to be ignorant. That's all. I wish it would change, but we'll see.

-King-
This. N word or not there is no excuse

Yes there is.

I don't fucking understand why people think athletes should just take shit just because they're athletes. Why?

-King-
02-09-2014, 02:43 PM

This.

Setsuna
02-09-2014, 02:44 PM
:clap:
Promoting violence because people would applaud you for it has led to chaos. Stick to jacking off and let the competent people think for you.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Exactly. You've realized it over time or was raised well to realize it, but that just doesn't happen as often as we'd like in the black communities because it's acceptable, encouraged, and easy to be ignorant. That's all. I wish it would change, but we'll see.

I really liked your willfull ignorance comment. I agree wholeheartedly. We act like teenagers aren't smart enough or wise enough to make some of the decisions they do, but I don't buy it. Some maybe, but not nearly the amount we give a pass too.

ping2000
02-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Let's just surround the court with chicken wire ala "Bob's Country Bunker" in the Blues Brothers.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-09-2014, 02:47 PM
In this country you don't get to become violent with people over the words they say. No matter what words they are. That's why it's not remotely okay for Smart to react the way he did. I'm certainly not justifying it, but write your congressman to have the laws changed.

ChiTown
02-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Promoting violence because people would applaud you for it has lead to chaos. Stick to jacking off and let the competent people think for you.

:LOL:

Al Bundy
02-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Well, Smart didn't really go in the stands he ended up there trying to block the Tech kids layup/dunk attempt. After the whole thing the old fart was laughing it up.

LoneWolf
02-09-2014, 02:53 PM

Did he admit to calling him a ni****?

ping2000
02-09-2014, 02:54 PM

Worse. Said he played like a guy from Wichita.

Al Bundy

I don't think he has said what he said.

Brock

He denies it.

Setsuna
02-09-2014, 02:56 PM
I really liked your willfull ignorance comment. I agree wholeheartedly. We act like teenagers aren't smart enough or wise enough to make some of the decisions they do, but I don't buy it. Some maybe, but not nearly the amount we give a pass too.
Thanks. Yeah and I also agree with this. I firmly believe a lot of young black people are deep thinkers and all this but their peers or parents even might not appreciate it and therefore would stifle their ability to develop. Now maybe Smart wasn't going to do anything but perhaps he thought if I don't do anything my teammates would tease me or something. Because at his age he is still being influenced by his peers. If he did it because he can't control himself then oh well but regardless he must accept the consequences of his own actions.

Mr. Laz
02-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Doesn't matter what he said

Words don't = physical reaction when it comes to a fan/athlete situation

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Doesn't matter what he said

Words don't = physical reaction when it comes to a fan/athlete situation

Bullshit.

How would you feel if your dad was killed in a terrorist attack and your rival's fans chanted "PLO" at you, like Steve Kerr?

Discuss Thrower
02-09-2014, 03:10 PM

Yup.

Neg rep me again, Prison Bitch.

Mav
02-09-2014, 03:10 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl3jv0gsSja4SLCCQq1vZWV3l1MgteAfkIouRn49dOi9wCAY2_Pg

as to the OP. People are so protected by the internet, laws, that they feel too entitled to say whatever the hell they want.

Clearly, Marcus Smart heard something that set him off in the wrong direction.

He clearly though, while his reaction wasn't wrong I don't believe, I have fought people over less, (lost a lot of those fights too) he will have to deal with that from every opposing city that he plays in, when in the NBA.

People will say whatever they think will get under your skin.

It is heinous. It happens every where.

I have seen Bears fans kids talked down to by drunken adults at packer games. Heard their mother called whores, and other ungodly names.

So, he is going to have to understand that any time a fan gets a reaction out of a player, like that slutbag up above, the person getting the attention, being shown again and again on espn, just got 15 minutes of fame because of them.

That's sickening.

notorious
02-09-2014, 03:14 PM
You reinforce the actions in which you acknowledge.

This is basic human psychology, guys. If you think it would be better for an athlete to attack a fans because they are being assholes you are crazy. It will only get worse.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-09-2014, 03:17 PM

This is basic human psychology, guys. If you think it would be better for an athlete to attack a fans because they are being assholes you don't have a clue. It will only get worse.

In theory your argument is sound, but if you look at fan-athlete interactions it's pretty obvious that fans are allowed to do essentially anything because there is no penalty associated with their behavior.

I look at it this way:

I have no problem with Ron Artest going into the stands to beat the fuck out of some guy who pelted him with a Diet Coke. I have a problem with him going into the stands without knowing who exactly threw it.

If someone is close enough to violate your personal space and you can see them do it, then I have little issue with retaliation.

Prison Bitch
02-09-2014, 03:19 PM
In this country you don't get to become violent with people over the words they say. No matter what words they are. That's why it's not remotely okay for Smart to react the way he did. I'm certainly not justifying it, but write your congressman to have the laws changed.

I've used this line before, "Try to change the laws if you don't like them", but when you're dealing with idiots it doesn't matter. Some folks are simply governed by their emotions, so to them, the idea of attacking a fan actually makes sense in their warped minds.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
02-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Grown men feel like they can get away with saying anything at a sporting event. Kind of like a mouthy woman. I'd be fine with it if Smart put this loser in the hospital.

lcarus
02-09-2014, 03:20 PM

This is basic human psychology, guys. If you think it would be better for an athlete to attack a fans because they are being assholes you are crazy. It will only get worse.

No no no. If some idiot drunk fan says something actually offensive, it totally justifies a brawl in the stands where bystanders could get hurt. If some douche called the whole Detroit Pistons a bunch of spooks, they all immediately have the right to go into the stands because that should not be tolerated. Nevermind being a professional and ignoring it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-09-2014, 03:22 PM

This logic requires an assumption that the laws are infallible regardless of circumstance.

Setsuna
02-09-2014, 03:22 PM
In theory your argument is sound, but if you look at fan-athlete interactions it's pretty obvious that fans are allowed to do essentially anything because there is no penalty associated with their behavior.

I look at it this way:

I have no problem with Ron Artest going into the stands to beat the **** out of some guy who pelted him with a Diet Coke. I have a problem with him going into the stands without knowing who exactly threw it.

If someone is close enough to violate your personal space and you can see them do it, then I have little issue with retaliation.

Yeah you don't because you aren't the one doing it and having the consequences come down on your head. You can go about your business and clap about it but you won't go visit the person in jail or bail him out or when he gets expelled you won't offer him a 9-5 salary type job or let him live with you and work his way through college. It's stupid crap like this that has made this country run off the passion of idiocy.

Setsuna
02-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Grown men feel like they can get away with saying anything at a sporting event. Kind of like a mouthy woman. I'd be fine with it if Smart put this loser in the hospital.

Idiocy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Yeah you don't because you aren't the one doing it and having the consequences come down on your head. You can go about your business and clap about it but you won't go visit the person in jail or bail him out or when he gets expelled you won't offer him a 9-5 salary type job or let him live with you and work his way through college. It's stupid crap like this that has made this country run off the passion of idiocy.

All of which assumes that there is never a justifiable excuse for physical retaliation.

Mav
02-09-2014, 03:26 PM
No no no. If some idiot drunk fan says something actually offensive, it totally justifies a brawl in the stands where bystanders could get hurt. If some douche called the whole Detroit Pistons a bunch of spooks, they all immediately have the right to go into the stands because that should not be tolerated. Nevermind being a professional and ignoring it.

Here in lies the problem.

About a month ago, on a Saturday, my neighbor asked me if I wanted to go to the YMCA to throw the football around, and then to shoot some hoops.

I said okay, we went, and some of his buddies showed up, and we are playing a 3 on 3 game on one of the main hoops.

All these little kids are in there, and I politely asked this kid who was about 9, or 10 if he would mind staying off our court because we were playing a game and we wouldn't want to run over him. He rolled his eyes into the back of his head like the excorcist, made some retarded face like he had just sucked down an entire batch of lemons, and proceeded to tell me to fuck myself, that it was open gym, and he would go where he wanted, when he wanted.

That is the problem with the country today.

Im 34 years old. When I was that age, had I spoken to a GROWN man like that, not only would that grown man probably of beaten my ass, my mother would of doubled whatever I got from that guy, and probably thanked the guy for beating my ass.

its call respect, and now days people, have NONE of it.

A few more ass whippings would go a long way towards stopping some of the bullshit. If people had to be held accountable for what came out of their mouths, maybe we wouldn't have to rely so much on a 19 year old kid, going after a 50+ YEAR OLD MAN.

Reerun_KC
02-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Like it's a shock to anyone, but you are a ****ing racist bastard.

So are you. Look at you avatar. Speaks volumes about the person you are.

Mav
02-09-2014, 03:28 PM
All of which assumes that there is never a justifiable excuse for physical retaliation.

All you have to do Hamas is consider the troll you are responding to.

He is clueless. He doesn't get it.

How could he?

Mr. Laz
02-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Bullshit.

How would you feel if your dad was killed in a terrorist attack and your rival's fans chanted "PLO" at you, like Steve Kerr?
on the court you ignore it

it's a different situation, you are part of a team and in a public event

If someone comes up to you on the street and says something, then it's only you that has to worry about the repercussions.

I imagine Smart will be suspended for the next game.

Congrats you idiot, you let the racist dude in the crowd have a chance to cost your team 2 games. Racist guy wins, you lose.

notorious
02-09-2014, 03:29 PM

I look at it this way:

I have no problem with Ron Artest going into the stands to beat the **** out of some guy who pelted him with a Diet Coke. I have a problem with him going into the stands without knowing who exactly threw it.

You need to check out 3:43 of this interview. Stephen Jackson talks about the aftermath right after the fight.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/1xtQ5ENFdzE?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/1xtQ5ENFdzE?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I laughed so hard it hurt.

Mav
02-09-2014, 03:30 PM
I've used this line before, "Try to change the laws if you don't like them", but when you're dealing with idiots it doesn't matter. Some folks are simply governed by their emotions, so to them, the idea of attacking a fan actually makes sense in their warped minds.

No, the warped mind is the person who assumes that it is the ATHLETES responsibility to just tune out everything. Remember, this is a TRUE SOPHMORE IN COLLEGE. He is 19 years old. The finger is definitely being pointed in the WRONG direction. This guy was 50 YEARS OLD. And, according to John Lucas the third, this guy has ALWAYS been this way, as he said similar stuff to him when he went to OSU.

So, at what point does a KID not get blamed, and maybe the ADULTS held responsible?

He is a student athlete. He is NOT a professional athlete. this is a KID.

That's a GROWN ASS MAN, who comes to watch kids play, and then goes all juvenile because he expects nothing to happen to him.

That's horse shit.

Mav
02-09-2014, 03:33 PM

It's different if someone comes up to you on the street and says something, then it's only you that has to worry about the repercussions.

Congrats you idiot, you let the racist dude in the crowd have a chance to cost your team 2 games. Racist guy wins, you lose.

Sadly this is true. Although, I don't agree with calling Marcus Smart an idiot.

Marcus Smart is not even 20 years old. A lot of 20 year olds don't have the mental capacity to tune out that kind of garbage. While your sentiment is right.

Hopefully, at the very least, that douche bag wont be allowed to attend anymore games. But with Smarts luck, that guy probably is a huge booster.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-09-2014, 03:34 PM

If someone comes up to you on the street and says something, then it's only you that has to worry about the repercussions.

And once the dude chucks a soda at you, he has brought down that barrier between court and stands. Similarly, so did said idiot when he got in Smart's face. At that point, there is no separation.

Setsuna
02-09-2014, 03:37 PM

In most cases there isn't. Certainly not for words said. And don't use extreme cases because it only hurts your argument. And figures you have no counter argument to what I said because you know I'm right.

Mav
02-09-2014, 03:40 PM
In most cases there isn't. Certainly not for words said. And don't use extreme cases because it only hurts your argument. And figures you have no counter argument to what I said because you know I'm right.

The ambassador of the pussification of mankind, right here folks.

Move to Canada you fucking pussy.

Discuss Thrower
02-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Sports are not about the fans -it's about the players. The fat fuck rolled the dice running his mouth and is lucky Smart didn't try to give him some periodontal rearrangement.

Mr. Laz
02-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Sadly this is true. Although, I don't agree with calling Marcus Smart an idiot.

Marcus Smart is not even 20 years old. A lot of 20 year olds don't have the mental capacity to tune out that kind of garbage. While your sentiment is right.

Hopefully, at the very least, that douche bag wont be allowed to attend anymore games. But with Smarts luck, that guy probably is a huge booster.
True ... impulsive or immature would be more accurate

Bottom line it doesn't really matter what is fair, Smart might have just cost his team 2 more loses and really hurt their chances to make the tourney. Nothing else counts.

You suck it up and ignore it for your team

BigRichard
02-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Thug is code? I use thug to describe people both black or white. Thug? Ridiculous.............

There was an entire thread made about it and yes there are morons on here that think thug is being used in place of nigger.

lcarus
02-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Here in lies the problem.

About a month ago, on a Saturday, my neighbor asked me if I wanted to go to the YMCA to throw the football around, and then to shoot some hoops.

I said okay, we went, and some of his buddies showed up, and we are playing a 3 on 3 game on one of the main hoops.

All these little kids are in there, and I politely asked this kid who was about 9, or 10 if he would mind staying off our court because we were playing a game and we wouldn't want to run over him. He rolled his eyes into the back of his head like the excorcist, made some retarded face like he had just sucked down an entire batch of lemons, and proceeded to tell me to fuck myself, that it was open gym, and he would go where he wanted, when he wanted.

That is the problem with the country today.

Im 34 years old. When I was that age, had I spoken to a GROWN man like that, not only would that grown man probably of beaten my ass, my mother would of doubled whatever I got from that guy, and probably thanked the guy for beating my ass.

its call respect, and now days people, have NONE of it.

A few more ass whippings would go a long way towards stopping some of the bullshit. If people had to be held accountable for what came out of their mouths, maybe we wouldn't have to rely so much on a 19 year old kid, going after a 50+ YEAR OLD MAN.

I don't think it's cool for an adult to whoop a 9 year olds ass at the YMCA over that. There's other ways to handle it. I agree about the respect thing now days though.

chiefzilla1501
02-09-2014, 03:44 PM

Agreed. I'm glad this thread brought out good discussion on this.

I think the majority of fan behavior is fine. Some pretty tough hecklers, but it's part of the game. But you hear stories about fans throwing racial slurs at players, making fun of their dead relatives, all kinds of shit that nobody would ever, ever, ever get away with in any public space. And the problem is, nobody is held accountable for it. For these kinds of things, there should be more of a "no tolerance" policy. The problem is, we built into a system where fans are afraid to snitch and teams don't want to scare away guys who contribute a lot of money.

I love this example because at least the fan will be held accountable. Finally. Everybody knows this guy's name and what he did. That's the way it should be. Now for the other 99% of cases where the fan gets away with it...

Setsuna
Sports are not about the fans -it's about the players. The fat **** rolled the dice running his mouth and is lucky Smart didn't try to give him some periodontal rearrangement.

I think Smart is the lucky one. He'd be flipping burgers and still might be depending on what happens. Which honestly isn't a bad job anymore. Working at McDonalds is a great opportunity nowadays.

Mav
True ... impulsive or immature would be more accurate

Bottom line it doesn't really matter what is fair, Smart might have just cost his team 2 more loses and really hurt their chances to make the tourney. Nothing else counts.

You suck it up and ignore it for your team

I completely agree. I am just of the opinion that there is equal blame. I just cant justify telling a kid, that he should be big enough to overcome that kind of thing, his team was trailing, he just made a hell of a play, hes a highly emotional kid as it is.

Was it the smartest thing? Of course not. But, you are on point.

I hope for this kid, and I LIKE MARCUS SMART, its a lesson that he uses going forward. I really hope that for him. From everything I have read, they say that he is an extremely intelligent articulate polite kid. I hope going forward, he learns to check his emotions.

I had a hard time with that when I was in competition too. I would use any insult or slight as motivation.

Mr. Laz
Sports are not about the fans -it's about the players. The fat **** rolled the dice running his mouth and is lucky Smart didn't try to give him some periodontal rearrangement.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4884679168/h0C5C787D/

RippedmyFlesh
02-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Let's just surround the court with chicken wire ala "Bob's Country Bunker" in the Blues Brothers.

Believe it or not the nba used to do this in the 50's and 60's.

lcarus
02-09-2014, 03:47 PM
I still say players should refrain from attacking anyone in the stands. If a fan yells a racial slur at a player, you'd hope someone else in the stands would help get the guy removed.

LoneWolf
Is every one simply taking Smart at his word that Orr called him the N-word? I'm wondering if you take that word away, what everyone would consider justifiable language for Smart to shove a fan. If the guy called him a flopping bitch, is that still grounds for shoving a fan?

Mav
I don't think it's cool for an adult to whoop a 9 year olds ass at the YMCA over that. There's other ways to handle it. I agree about the respect thing now days though.

I didn't whip his ass. My point though, was when I was 9 years old, I knew out of respect not to mouth off to a guy 3 times my age. Especially when that said adult didn't scream at me, and actually asked me politely.

That was the premise. I wouldn't of whooped his ass. Although, bending him over my knee did cross my mind.

Discuss Thrower
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4884679168/h0C5C787D/

The only thing that should matter in sports is the pure competition between opponents. The fact that people like to observe is immaterial to the proceedings.

lcarus
02-09-2014, 03:49 PM
I didn't whip his ass. My point though, was when I was 9 years old, I knew out of respect not to mouth off to a guy 3 times my age. Especially when that said adult didn't scream at me, and actually asked me politely.

That was the premise. I wouldn't of whooped his ass. Although, bending him over my knee did cross my mind.

Lol. Yeah some little bastards today need way better parenting that's for sure.

Mav
Is every one simply taking Smart at his word that Orr called him the N-word? I'm wondering if you take that word away, what everyone would consider justifiable language for Smart to shove a fan. If the guy called him a flopping bitch, is that still grounds for shoving a fan?

I heard that the radio guy for OSU heard Smart tell his coaches that is what he was called.

Most people now a days hear the word bitch so much, that it doesn't even faze them. Im sure that's not the first time he has heard the word bitch, on the basketball court.

And the way his head flipped around if you watch the replay, it was something so distinct and disturbing that he immediately reacted.

I would take him at his word on that account.

Mr. Laz
true ... what if the guy said 'Even your mom thinks you suck!!'

Would that change anything?

Is it just the racial stuff that means anything goes?

Brock
02-09-2014, 03:50 PM
The only thing that should matter in sports is the pure competition between opponents. The fact that people like to observe is immaterial to the proceedings.

That's fine in a world where things don't have to show a profit.

yes.

Was just a bar shove anyway.

Mav
Lol. Yeah some little bastards today need way better parenting that's for sure.

That was my thought process.

My initial thought was "if I ever catch my son talking to another adult this way, he wont be able to sit for a week."

That's where I went with it.

Its just not right.

Mr. Laz
02-09-2014, 03:51 PM
got it

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Troll_204c19_1264966.jpg

Fansy the Famous Bard
Marcus Smart plays angry. This isn't surprising at all.

My Aunt and Uncle are big OSU boosters, and they've acknowledged that the way he, Cobbins, Brown, and Clark consistently act and play has been embarrassing to the university. They don't like it - haven't dating back to last year. Their only defense is "You can't blame the whole team\school for the actions of a couple of bad apples"... Then I point out that those 4 were half of the active players. That's more than a few bad apples... that's a trend.

ChiTown
There was an entire thread made about it and yes there are morons on here that think thug is being used in place of ****er.

When I lived in Chicago, I would sometimes be a couple days to a week late on my rent, especially if I had been travelling out of town. My landlord would send two Thug Greek guys to collect at my door. They would wait until I could find my checkbook.

Thug is a term without color. It's who a person is, not what a person's skin looks like.

Prison Bitch
02-09-2014, 03:52 PM
No, the warped mind is the person who assumes that it is the ATHLETES responsibility to just tune out everything. Remember, this is a TRUE SOPHMORE IN COLLEGE. He is 19 years old. The finger is definitely being pointed in the WRONG direction. This guy was 50 YEARS OLD. And, according to John Lucas the third, this guy has ALWAYS been this way, as he said similar stuff to him when he went to OSU.

So, at what point does a KID not get blamed, and maybe the ADULTS held responsible?

He is a student athlete. He is NOT a professional athlete. this is a KID.

That's a GROWN ASS MAN, who comes to watch kids play, and then goes all juvenile because he expects nothing to happen to him.

That's horse shit.

The fallacy with your argument is you don't consider te logical outcome of Smart retaliating. He would get beaten (if not worse) instantly by a mob of people if he'd had attacked the guy. I doubt you or Hamas considered what's likely to occur.

Setsuna
02-09-2014, 03:53 PM
true ... what if the guy said 'Even your mom thinks you suck!!'

Would that change anything?

Is it just the racial stuff that means anything goes?
In today's America it does.

Mav
02-09-2014, 03:54 PM
The fallacy with your argument is you don't consider te logical outcome of Smart retaliating. He would get beaten (if not worse) instantly by a mob of people if he'd had beaten the guy. I doubt you or Hamas considered what's likely to occur.

I don't think his intention was to beat the guy. Most people who have that intention, usually don't start with a shove. Now, of course, my reaction would be a little different if he went in there throwing blows. He didn't he shoved the guy, and really didn't fight with his teammates who were pulling him away.

lets keep some perspective on it.

Cannibal
02-09-2014, 03:55 PM
I wish he'd have knocked that fat old **** right the **** out.

Bearcat
02-09-2014, 03:56 PM
So, this is the conference realignment thread of the Smart discussion...

http://media2.giphy.com/media/11gC4odpiRKuha/giphy.gif

LoneWolf
02-09-2014, 03:57 PM
I would take him at his word on that account.

Just seems odd that nobody else has come forward to corroborate Smart's accusation. There were people all around and when Smart reacted he wasn't right next to the guy. It just seems to me that a 19 year old kid who just realized he did something embarrassing would have a pretty big incentive to exaggerate the situation in an attempt to save a little face.

BigRichard
When I lived in Chicago, I would sometimes be a couple days to a week late on my rent, especially if I had been travelling out of town. My landlord would send two Thug Greek guys to collect at my door. They would wait until I could find my checkbook.

Thug is a term without color. It's who a person is, not what a person's skin looks like.

If I recall it started with Sherman from the Seahawks stating people calling him a thug was just them calling him a nigger or something to that effect. Couldn't it be just someone mislabeling another. Like when someone calls someone else an asshole when they cut them off in traffic. I am guessing a lot of times they are probably pretty nice people. Just did something stupid while driving. God knows I have.

KC_Connection
Call me a pacifist, but for me, on a broader level, I don't think people should be able to attack others solely on the basis of insults (even awful racist ones). Sets a horrible precedent to follow. There has to be some limit in response there. But does that doesn't mean Smart and others should have to just sit there and take this kind of abuse from fans either. There also needs to be some accountability in these situations.

Smart will get suspended (and perhaps rightfully so), but I don't look down on him in the slightest for what he did. It looks like this guy deserved what he got and is lucky it wasn't more.

Phobia
02-09-2014, 03:58 PM

This isn't cool. It's the very same thing as just saying it. Please don't do it again.

I realize one of your best friends is black and that's great but it's not acceptable here. The only redeeming thing that has come from it is a civil discussion so hopefully people will excuse the slur and learn something from the discussion as they read through this thread.

ChiTown
02-09-2014, 04:00 PM
This isn't cool. It's the very same thing as just saying it. Please don't do it again.

I realize one of your best friends is black and that's great but it's not acceptable here. The only redeeming thing that has come from it is a civil discussion so hopefully people will excuse the slur and learn something from the discussion as they read through this thread.

I agree. It's been a pretty reasonable discussion. I appreciate the mods not intervening...........

Just seems odd that nobody else has come forward to corroborate Smart's accusation. There were people all around and when Smart reacted he wasn't right next to the guy. It just seems to me that a 19 year old kid who just realized he did something embarrassing would have a pretty big incentive to exaggerate the situation in an attempt to save a little face.

Well these are Texas Tech fans. Some of the worst people on earth.

TLO
Being around Smart's age, I understand someone losing their cool, and doing something they later regret. I'm not black, but if I were, I imagine I probably would react somewhat similar if my adrenaline was already pumping and someone threw out a racial slur.

That being said, what he did was wrong. The end.

ChiTown
02-09-2014, 04:01 PM

THAT is a fact. Ever been to a night football game there? I have, and will never ever do that again.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 04:01 PM
Nobody has come out to deny it either at this point. So that really doesn't mean anything.

02-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Call me a pacifist, but for me, on a broader level, I don't think people should be able to attack others solely on the basis of insults (even awful racist ones). Sets a horrible precedent to follow. There has to be some limit in response there. But does that doesn't mean Smart and others should have to just sit there and take this kind of abuse from fans either. There also needs to be some accountability in these situations.

Smart will get suspended (and perhaps rightfully so), but I don't look down on him in the slightest for what he did. It looks like this guy deserved what he got and is lucky it wasn't more.

:thumb:

If I'm the coach, I absolutely stick up for him.

TLO
02-09-2014, 04:07 PM

Strongly agree.

GloryDayz
02-09-2014, 04:12 PM
The world has become too sensitive IMO. I'm not sure what was said, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say I doubt the old guy was "cheering on his team." If he was talking shit to the player, and athlete, meh, it's all good. Far too many people say "fighting is never the answer" then welcome home our troops. Not that they're the same thing (please don't preach to me!!), but it's pretty clear that sometime physical combat is at least one of the options available to some being heckled and hecklers need to talk shit with that in mind.

So yeah, Smart crossed some modern-day line, but I'm OK with that line getting moved back/returning to something closer to where it used to be and hecklers only heckle to the extent they can back it up.

It'll be interesting to see if the press is cool enough to focus in on the fat-ass heckler and see is he keeps trash talking high-end athletes. I know I'd love to have him near me at an event, I'd heckle (him) like a remind him what kind of son his father raised.

CrazyPhuD
02-09-2014, 04:17 PM
So outside of any racial issues, if you look at this from a tactical/strategic point of view it was an outstanding move on the part of the fan. The game was probably over with 6 seconds left and a 2 point lead. But it was definitely over after the technical and the four point lead. With a word or phase he was able to close out the game. Combine that if Smart gets a suspension and that's a major tactical win. All because Smart lost control of his emotions.

That's the side of being offended that isn't talked about much. When you are offended by what someone says you are giving them power over you. They now have the ability to influence/control your emotional state. Being offended is a vulnerability and a weakness that can be exploited by someone who knows it to control your behavior.

Being offended is always a choice, you choose to be offended and you have the ability to choose not to be offended. It's all about control.

Smarts weakness has just been put on a national stage. Do you think that's going to make people NOT use it? Hell no if anything they will use it more. He's already made one major tactical blunder if people can get inside his head and force him to make another they will.

Was the original dude probably racist? Sure almost certainly, it's doubtful that he had some higher strategic intent. That said he exposed a weakness that a lot of other people will now use against him. If Smart doesn't learn to not be offended quickly it's likely going to impact his team at a more critical moment.

TLO
02-09-2014, 04:20 PM
So outside of any racial issues, if you look at this from a tactical/strategic point of view it was an outstanding move on the part of the fan. The game was probably over with 6 seconds left and a 2 point lead. But it was definitely over after the technical and the four point lead. With a word or phase he was able to close out the game. Combine that if Smart gets a suspension and that's a major tactical win. All because Smart lost control of his emotions.

That's the side of being offended that isn't talked about much. When you are offended by what someone says you are giving them power over you. They now have the ability to influence/control your emotional state. Being offended is a vulnerability and a weakness that can be exploited by someone who knows it to control your behavior.

Being offended is always a choice, you choose to be offended and you have the ability to choose not to be offended. It's all about control.

Smarts weakness has just been put on a national stage. Do you think that's going to make people NOT use it? Hell no if anything they will use it more. He's already made one major tactical blunder if people can get inside his head and force him to make another they will.

Was the original dude probably racist? Sure almost certainly, it's doubtful that he had some higher strategic intent. That said he exposed a weakness that a lot of other people will now use against him. If Smart doesn't learn to not be offended quickly it's likely going to impact his team at a more critical moment.

I think Smart will learn from this. He almost has to.

Discuss Thrower
02-09-2014, 04:27 PM

If Tech benefited from a fan's actions influencing a game then something is seriously wrong with what happened.

BWillie
02-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Yes there is.

I don't ****ing understand why people think athletes should just take shit just because they're athletes. Why?

Thats how it works. Hell thats how the world works. If someone calls me a ****ing retard I dont go physically assaulting him. Ive been threatened at card games, cards thrown at my face...i should have got up and just punched them in the face? At some point you have to be better than that, regardless of what is said. Its NEVER ok to attack a fan. Just like it would never be ok to attack or throw something at a player

Mr. Laz
02-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 2m
Marcus Smart will be suspended for three games, source told ESPN.

USA TODAY Sports ‏@USATODAYsports now
The Big 12 suspends Marcus Smart three games: http://usat.ly/1fWxJCA

Discuss Thrower
02-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Travesty.

jspchief
02-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Can't wait to see Orr's life get dissected in the next week or two. Hell hath no fury like an internet mob scorned.

BWillie
02-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Can't wait to see Orr's life get dissected in the next week or two. Hell hath no fury like an internet mob scorned.

Yeah this guy is gonna get whats coming to him, worse than Marcus Smart. Thats whats great about our society. These things usually govern themselves

chiefzilla1501
02-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Yeah this guy is gonna get whats coming to him, worse than Marcus Smart. Thats whats great about our society. These things usually govern themselves

That's what's great about society WHEN things govern themselves. The majority of these assholes wear teflon coats.

And then there are instances where the mob goes after the wrong person.

KC native
02-09-2014, 05:23 PM
A tech fan calling someone a racial slur?

What else is new?

Fuck the sand aggies and anyone who is a fan of theirs or went to tech.

Sure-Oz
02-09-2014, 05:23 PM
They said he called him a piece of crap. There is a video where u hear it kinda...still has to be more than that

Ceej
02-09-2014, 05:25 PM
So, if he called a kid a piece of crap why did Orr decide on not attending any more home/away TTU games. Seems a bit fishy to me.

BWillie
02-09-2014, 05:26 PM
http://youtu.be/U5tqqJ_h7ak

So apparently he was called ''you piece of crap''

Thats it.

Hes on the ground exactly when you hear that. In the exchange when the two are face to face, he appears to mouth the words ''sorry about that''. Then Smart pushes him

So much for the racist theory. Yeah Smart may have told coaches he was.called that, but its pretty clear he was trying to cover his ass.

ThatRaceCardGuy
02-09-2014, 05:28 PM

What a stupid thing to say if you're being serious.

Ceej
02-09-2014, 05:30 PM
So, does this change anything if he really only called a kid a "piece of crap."

Smart needs to get his emotions in check.

LoneWolf
Marcus should change his last name. It certainly doesn't fit.

KC_Connection
I can hear "piece of..." And then the audio of it shuts down and you can't hear the rest of the dialogue. Did Tech doctor this video? LMAO

LoneWolf
02-09-2014, 05:33 PM
I can hear "piece of..." And then the audio of it shuts down and you can't hear the rest of the dialogue. Did Tech doctor this video? LMAO

Do you think he called him a "piece of n-word"? That doesn't make any sense.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 05:34 PM
So, if he called a kid a piece of crap why did Orr decide on not attending any more home/away TTU games. Seems a bit fishy to me.
I'll go a step further. It sounds like bullshit to me.

ThatRaceCardGuy
02-09-2014, 05:34 PM

You're the black guy who hates black people. .obviously you're not offended.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 05:35 PM
I don't know what he said because we can't hear anything based on that video. I have no idea what it is supposed to prove. Kind of embarrassing that Tech would put something so inconclusive out there and pretend like it means something.

Ceej
02-09-2014, 05:35 PM
I'll go a step further. It sounds like bullshit to me.

Of course though. You're Smart's biggest fan.

BWillie
02-09-2014, 05:36 PM

Yeah, its surely a conspiracy. You can clearly hear you piece of crap when hes on the ground. you probably think 911 was an inside job too

Shogun
He said piece of crap

I still don't see a problem. Smart put the dude in his place and then walked away.

ThatRaceCardGuy
02-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Heckling college players is douche bag shit. Proffesional players are a whole other thing.

Shogun
I still don't see a problem. Smart put the dude in his place and then walked away.

The Media shitstorm is ridiculous. Pussification of America

KC_Connection
Yeah, its surely a conspiracy. You can clearly hear you piece of crap when hes on the ground. you probably think 911 was an inside job too
No, I'll save that one for the real conspiracy theorists. I'm just saying I can't clearly hear anything (and I don't see how anybody else could either). I think I can hear "piece of" and then the audio seems to completely shut off from the guy.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Shame on all the racist people out there assuming Jeff Orr called Smart a racial slur. You people are the real pieces of crap.

GloryDayz
02-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 2m
Marcus Smart will be suspended for three games, source told ESPN.

USA TODAY Sports ‏@USATODAYsports now
The Big 12 suspends Marcus Smart three games: http://usat.ly/1fWxJCA

It's times like this that I'd love the pillowbiters who make these decisions to be forced into the public so we could call them names, degrade their children and mothers, mock their wives, and do it day-in and day-out (not just once), and watch them "do nothing". Even if it's to bring in "security" to handle their mockers, that's something. Again, had fat-ass held if pillowbiter-ass tongue, this would never have happened. I can only hope his family takes never-ending shit from folks for the coming weeks. Just words, not violence, and lets see if that pillowbiter "walks away"! It's not like the fat fuck doing the mocking was even tossed. And his whore, slut, cum-dripping (from the street corner) wife was helping him. Her whore self was using her jack-off finger to point at a real man.

The good news is that the world has a picture of him and his slut, hopefully their will to mock and heckle are put to the test in the coming weeks..

Shogun
02-09-2014, 05:40 PM
also what does Marcus smart stand for? Thats all I heard.

Sure-Oz
02-09-2014, 05:42 PM

Exactly....this video is be...piece of crap then nothing

Deberg_1990
02-09-2014, 05:43 PM
and what will happen to the fan? Will he lose his tickets??

KC_Connection
It's also an embarrassment to me that Tech would basically side with their asshole fan in this instance. The guy "voluntarily agreed" not to attend any more games this year. If his actions really are "unacceptable" and "not condoned" by the university as it says, ban him from the ****ing games.

Shogun
and what will happen to the fan? Will he lose his tickets??

He said he wont go to another game this yr

chiefzilla1501
02-09-2014, 05:44 PM

From the audio, doesn't sound like it. But it sounds like LOTS of OSU alumni are coming out of the woodwork claiming that Orr says some weird shit and that the N-word is said all the time at games in Lubbock. Was he guilty this instance? Who knows. But it sounds like he had this coming for a long time and got off light.

Shogun
02-09-2014, 05:44 PM
It's also an embarrassment to me that Tech would basically side with their asshole fan in this instance. The guy "voluntarily agreed" not to attend any more games this year. If his actions really are "unacceptable" and "not condoned" by the university as it says, ban him from the ****ing games.

I'm sure hes probably a booster too.

BWillie
02-09-2014, 05:45 PM
No, I'll save that one for the real conspiracy theorists. I'm just saying I can't clearly hear anything (and I don't see how anybody else could either). I think I can hear "piece of" and then the audio seems to completely shut off from the guy.

How many fans were sitting around Orr? Lets hear one fan in the 40 or so ppl vicinity that would have heard what he said, go on record saying that he called him otherwise. I haven't heard it.

The problem is so many ppl want to assume race baiting right away without any evidence. Then when you supply evidence (the video) they deny it, say it must be "doctored". Just unbelievable. Calling someone a piece of crap, at a sporting even, is on the lesser end of the spectrum of the worst things I've heard. Not even close to being bad. Go to a Chiefs game one time, listen to what is yelled at the opposing team when they are on offense, you'll hear wayyy worse.

LoneWolf

Ban him for calling Smart a piece of crap? If they start banning every fan that says something derogatory towards a player from an opposing team, Allen Field House is going to be pretty empty.

KC_Connection
No doubt. Just another reason their statement and inconclusive video is incredibly suspect.

BWillie
02-09-2014, 05:46 PM

Why? The fan is being slandered all over social media. They sure as hell better back up their fan if they have the evidence. Good for them IMO. I had teetered onto Smart's side a bit once everybody on twitter (who wasn't at the game) were saying he said "go back to africa", but it makes perfect sense now. Nothing remotely like that was said, Smart is just a hot head.

KC native
02-09-2014, 05:46 PM
It's times like this that I'd love the pillowbiters who make these decisions to be forced into the public so we could call them names, degrade their children and mothers, mock their wives, and do it day-in and day-out (not just once), and watch them "do nothing". Even if it's to bring in "security" to handle their mockers, that's something. Again, had fat-ass held if pillowbiter-ass tongue, this would never have happened. I can only hope his family takes never-ending shit from folks for the coming weeks. Just words, not violence, and lets see if that pillowbiter "walks away"! It's not like the fat fuck doing the mocking was even tossed. And his whore, slut, cum-dripping (from the street corner) wife was helping him. Her whore self was using her jack-off finger to point at a real man.

The good news is that the world has a picture of him and his slut, hopefully their will to mock and heckle are put to the test in the coming weeks..

You're obviously not familiar with Lubbock and Sand Aggie fans. That guy will be a hero locally.

Sand Aggie fans are as bad as raider fans.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Ban him for calling Smart a piece of crap?

Yes, if that's in fact what he said (and I don't see how any reasonable person could actually believe that based on what we know).

If they start banning every fan that says something derogatory towards a player from an opposing team, Allen Field House is going to be pretty empty.
Good. If people can't attend a game without insulting college athletes personally, they don't deserve to be there.

ping2000
02-09-2014, 05:48 PM
First of all, if you go to a game and call a player a piece of crap, you have established that you are a pretty lame. What sucks is Smart supposedly said the guy used the N word. That's bullshit. This guy's going to have Al Sharpton and Jesse all up in his ass.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Why? The fan is being slandered all over social media. They sure as hell better back up their fan if they have the evidence. Good for them IMO. I had teetered onto Smart's side a bit once everybody on twitter (who wasn't at the game) were saying he said "go back to africa", but it makes perfect sense now. Nothing remotely like that was said, Smart is just a hot head.

LMAO

If you really believe that inconclusive video constituted evidence of anything, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Shogun
02-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Ive gotten 8 texts in the last 20 minutes from ESPN about this shit. Good lord. DElete.

LoneWolf
Yes, if that's in fact what he said (and I don't see how any reasonable person could actually believe that based on what we know).

Good. If people can't attend a game without insulting college athletes personally, they don't deserve to be there.

You admit you hear "piece of" on the video. What do you think would logically follow that? At the very least we know Smart is a liar. This is no worse than yelling "you suck" at an opposing player. Shit like that happens at every college basketball game played and to my knowledge Smart is the only player to shove a fan.

jspchief

He's like a superfan at TT. There's TT videos pimping him. Sound bites from coaches. He's famous. And undoubtedly gives them a lot of money.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-09-2014, 05:52 PM
I've come to two conclusions about this...

The real racists are shown in all of this.

Smart is a mental midget that needs professional counseling.

Deberg_1990
02-09-2014, 05:53 PM
He's like a superfan at TT. There's TT videos pimping him. Sound bites from coaches. He's famous. And undoubtedly gives them a lot of money.

Thats kinda what i figured....therefore, no punishment will take place, and this incident will be forgotten about next year.

GloryDayz
02-09-2014, 05:53 PM
You're obviously not familiar with Lubbock and Sand Aggie fans. That guy will be a hero locally.

Sand Aggie fans are as bad as raider fans.

You're right, the whole city is a fag-fest...

But I trust Karma...

Big Poppa Payne
02-09-2014, 05:54 PM
It doesn't matter what the fan called Smart, even if he was called the n-word (and I don't think he was) he should've turned his back and walked away. In 1947 there was a player named Jackie Robinson and if a guy like Jackie Robinson could handle everything that he had to deal with then these guys in the 21st century certainly can handle these sorts of things.

BWillie
LMAO

If you really believe that inconclusive video constituted evidence of anything, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Okay lets hear ONE fan, just one, go on record who was in the vicinity claim he said something other than that. It hasn't happened yet. Angry mob on twitter jumped to the race conclusion. If I heard ANY fan say the N-word at Allen Field House, i'd let them know about it right away and would let everybody know about how repulsive such behavior is.

And yeah, you guys say you want some proof, well the video is that proof. The gif and lipreaders also haven't saw anywhere where he could have mouthed the N-word or go back to africa. I don't understand what is so hard about this. Conspiracy theorist crack me up. COVER UP OMG OMG

Prison Bitch
It's a really good idea to encourage athletes to charge fans. I'm sure Larry Lubbock would love the opportunity to pull out his 38 special and cap someone. Great idea.

The Franchise

You heard "piece of shit" from a video where the camera isn't focused on the guy.....and it's a given that he's the one that said it? An entire stadium and the camera picked up the words from one guy only? For all anyone knows....it could be the cameraman saying piece of shit for getting knocked over.

chiefzilla1501

Here's the thing. When does being a fan go from being zealous to overzealous to being a piece of shit? Here's an interesting story that goes beyond race. What happens when fans start criticizing a mother you just lost? Well, in this case, it clearly affected the player but at what cost? I don't know how any fan can live with themselves thinking this kind of thing is okay.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FsqZS_6xzYA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The video is hilarious. I love the dumb bitch clapping in his face as he confronts Orr. Then he reaches over her to shove the loser and she ducks and covers in horror. Big, angry black man! Scary!

BWillie
02-09-2014, 05:56 PM

Sooooo your point is?

BWillie
02-09-2014, 05:57 PM
You heard "piece of shit" from a video where the camera isn't focused on the guy.....and it's a given that he's the one that said it? An entire stadium and the camera picked up the words from one guy only? For all anyone knows....it could be the cameraman saying piece of shit for getting knocked over.

You hear "piece of crap" when Smart is on the ground, the VERY moment, when Smart gets his panties in a bunch and jumps up to confront the fan. The audio is in virtually the same place as where Marcus Smart had fallen. It very well could be that Marcus Smart thought he heard something he hadn't because he was upset with the game, how things were going, but we would hear virtually the same thing Smart and any other fan would have heard in that area by the video. This is undisputable. Like I said, lets hear one, just ONE fan who was actually at the game, in this section, say that Orr said something otherwise. There are none.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 05:59 PM
You admit you hear "piece of" on the video. What do you think would logically follow that?

I take it you've never heard someone called a piece of shit ****er before. I have. The other thing about the video is that we can't hear anything else after the initial voice. There could have been much more there, but the dialogue seems to immediately shut off after what sounds like "piece of." You can come up with your own conclusions as to why that might be.

At the very least we know Smart is a liar.
Except we don't. Not at all.

Again, just like last night, the rush to defend this asshole fan who has a history of making derogatory statements at these games towards college athletes is pretty amazing to me.

Chiefs Pantalones
In the middle of this cover up, Texas Tech has created a fake video with fake audio to support the story. Got it. LMAO

BWillie

Hold your cell phone up at a game, say something, and see how it sounds based on the background noise. Wasn't the camera man.

BWillie
02-09-2014, 06:00 PM
The video is hilarious. I love the dumb bitch clapping in his face as he confronts Orr. Then he reaches over her to shove the loser and she ducks and covers in horror. Big, angry black man! Scary!

Good lord. Big 6 foot 4 inch 230 pound elite athlete. You are sounding like the racist here. Women cowers back in fear after husband gets pushed, pretty natural reaction. Don't see how that has to do with race.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 06:01 PM
It doesn't matter what the fan called Smart, even if he was called the n-word (and I don't think he was) he should've turned his back and walked away. In 1947 there was a player named Jackie Robinson and if a guy like Jackie Robinson could handle everything that he had to deal with then these guys in the 21st century certainly can handle these sorts of things.

One person tweeted to me that Jackie Robinson would never have gone into the stands when called a racial slur. This “Jackie Robinson: model minority” nonsense needs to be unpacked. First of all, that was 1947. Times have changed. Second, Jackie Robinson, a husband and a father, would have risked organized violence, as in lynch mobs, if he had pursed a physical response against fans. Third, Jackie Robinson was a 26-year-old Army veteran and a college graduate from UCLA. He also carried the hopes and dreams of masses of people with every at-bat. To ask a 19-year-old Marcus Smart to act in accordance with Jackie Robinson is a ridiculous weight to ask Mr. Smart to carry. And lastly Jackie Robinson, if you read his searing memoir, I Never Had It Made, had real regrets about not going into the stands and pummeling racists with what he called “my despised black fists”. Jackie Robinson died way too young at age 53. He and his family always believed that his early death was connected to the stress that he had to carry precisely because he kept it all bottled in on direct orders from the Brooklyn Dodgers organization and on society’s orders, shaped by the pre-civil rights times in which he played.
http://www.thenation.com/blog/178292/ten-points-about-college-hoops-all-american-marcus-smart-pushing-fan#

02-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Good lord. Big 6 foot 4 inch 230 pound elite athlete. You are sounding like the racist here. Women cowers back in fear after husband gets pushed, pretty natural reaction. Don't see how that has to do with race.

Not saying the lady is racist. Just a really hilarious moment. Not the wife, btw.

BWillie
02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Again, just like last night, the rush to defend this asshole fan who has a history of making derogatory statements at these games towards college athletes is pretty amazing to me.

I think it's crazy that so many are rushing to condemn the fan who got physically assaulted, by saying it's okay because poor wittle marcus smart was called a name.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Okay lets hear ONE fan, just one, go on record who was in the vicinity claim he said something other than that. It hasn't happened yet. Angry mob on twitter jumped to the race conclusion. If I heard ANY fan say the N-word at Allen Field House, i'd let them know about it right away and would let everybody know about how repulsive such behavior is.

Until someone in the vicinity goes public to deny it, this also means jack shit too.

02-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Im surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Same guy. Popular clip among aggie fans and it's now getting more attention LMAO. Wait for the end.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i0NdJahHN0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 06:05 PM
I think it's crazy that so many are rushing to condemn the fan who got physically assaulted, by saying it's okay because poor wittle marcus smart was called a name.

You posted this no less than an hour ago:

Then apparently some bullshit Tech video that proves absolutely nothing caused a complete 180. LMAO

BWillie
02-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Also, you expect us to believe anything Marcus Smart says? The same guy that flops more than any player in college basketball. It's not reasonable to assume that he's "flopping" on this one by claiming to coaches afterwards he was called a racial slur to neutralize the situation? Smart's not stupid. I'm sure after he did that, he was thinking, shit...what can I do to make me come out of this looking the best way possible.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Sooooo your point is?
I believe his point was that Texas Tech University is not a particularly credible source on this issue. Shocking, I know.

BWillie
02-09-2014, 06:08 PM
You posted this no less than an hour ago:

Then apparently some bullshit Tech video that proves absolutely nothing caused a complete 180. LMAO

Yep. Cuz so many ppl on twitter were saying he said "Go Back to Africa". Hell, I was starting to believe it. If he said that, I would have totally different tune. Only person saying Orr said something other than "piece of crap" is Marcus "flopping in life" Smart.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Also, you expect us to believe anything Marcus Smart says? The same guy that flops more than any player in college basketball. It's not reasonable to assume that he's "flopping" on this one by claiming to coaches afterwards he was called a racial slur to neutralize the situation? Smart's not stupid. I'm sure after he did that, he was thinking, shit...what can I do to make me come out of this looking the best way possible.
Yes, he came up with this deceitful plan to smear this guy within seconds of shoving him. He even got the guy he shoved to text one of his friends after the game that he went too far and felt bad about it. That evil genius, Marcus Smart.

Hilarious the lengths some are going. LMAO

BWillie
02-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Yes, he came up with this deceitful plan to smear this guy within seconds of shoving him. He even got the guy he shoved to text one of his friends after the game that he went too far and felt bad about it. That evil genius, Marcus Smart.

Hilarious the lengths some are going. LMAO

Well he flops within quasi seconds of seeing an elbow. Certainly plausible. If he was so sure he was called a racial slur, how come he would apologize to the fan Orr, and why wouldn't they hint more at it being a racial slur in the press conference? If you are called a racial slur, you don't apologize to the individual themselves. If it indeed was a racial slur, it would be Smart's best interest to come out and say that is what he at least "thought he heard" and overreacted.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Yep. Cuz so many ppl on twitter were saying he said "Go Back to Africa". Hell, I was starting to believe it. If he said that, I would have totally different tune. Only person saying Orr said something other than "piece of crap" is Marcus "flopping in life" Smart.
My advice would be not to believe everything you read. If your opinion can take a complete 180 on the basis of an excuse that clearly sets off the bullshit detectors and a video that proves nothing at all, perhaps you're just a bit too easily swayed.

02-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Well he flops within quasi seconds of seeing an elbow. Certainly plausible.

Chris Paul.

Dishonest human being.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-09-2014, 06:13 PM
If Smart doesn't get counseling this will soon be a real dialogue lol...

--So what are you in prison for?

--Someone called me a piece of crap so I shot him.

James Harden.

Likely tax evader.

KC_Connection

Nice. More racism. Just what this thread needed.

Fansy the Famous Bard
I take it you've never heard someone called a piece of shit ****er before. I have. The other thing about the video is that we can't hear anything else after the initial voice. There could have been much more there, but the dialogue seems to immediately shut off after what sounds like "piece of." You can come up with your own conclusions as to why that might be.

Except we don't. Not at all.

KC Connection, and his blind torch carrying is all that is wrong with this society. His behavior on this matter is exactly the same of virtually 99% of politicians in this country... It's comical.

Pick a side and defend it at all costs without objectivity. :thumb:

02-09-2014, 06:14 PM

:LOL:

BWillie
02-09-2014, 06:14 PM
My advice would be not to believe everything you read. If your opinion can take a complete 180 on the basis of an excuse that clearly sets off the bullshit detectors and a video that proves nothing at all, perhaps you're just a bit too easily swayed.

I fail to see how you think the video doesn't prove anything. The video clearly shows that nobody in the vicinity can clearly hear anything racist at all. Maybe Smart thought he heard something, who knows. Appears he was provoked by the most loudest and distinct thing we heard on the video though.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Nice. More racism. Just what this thread needed.

LMAO

WTF? How is that racist? It's real. If he can't get mentally tough soon he's gonna take the next step. Like Fran Frachilla pointed out, this has been building for awhile. He needs help.

KC_Connection
02-09-2014, 06:18 PM
KC Connection, and his blind torch carrying is all that is wrong with this society. His behavior on this matter is exactly the same of virtually 99% of politicians in this country... It's comical.

What exactly might those "sides" be? And which one am I on? If it's the "asshole fans shouldn't be able to say whatever the hell they want to college athletes" and the "people shouldn't be able to attack others based solely on insults" side, then yeah, I'm with those.

If you missed my post earlier on the actual issues at play, here it is again:

Pick a side and defend it at all costs without objectivity. :thumb:
Nobody is fully objective about anything. It's simply impossible to be so. The only difference is that some can admit that and most can't.

KC native
02-09-2014, 06:19 PM
I fail to see how you think the video doesn't prove anything. The video clearly shows that nobody in the vicinity can clearly hear anything racist at all. Maybe Smart thought he heard something, who knows. Appears he was provoked by the most loudest and distinct thing we heard on the video though.

Sorry, but the camera is pointed towards the court and the microphone is going to pick up sound in front of it better. The guy that Smart went after is behind the camera and to the right (facing the court right) of the cameraman. That video doesn't prove shit.