PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Hunt confirms talks with Alex Smith for new contract

Mr. Laz
02-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Clark Hunt confirms Alex Smith, KC Chiefs are talking new contract
By Joel Thorman  @JoelThorman on Feb 12 2014, 7:53a 254

The owner of the Kansas City Chiefs confirmed that the team is speaking with Alex Smith's reps about a new deal.

When we last left Alex Smith, he said he wasn't sure if the Kansas City Chiefs and his reps were talking about a new contract. Now Clark Hunt confirms that, indeed, the two sides are talking about a new deal.

Hunt, who made the national media rounds during Super Bowl week, talked with Bob Fescoe and Josh Klingler on 610 Sports on Tuesday morning and there were questions about Alex Smith, who has one year left on his current contract.

But ... Hunt briefly discussed the negotiations anyway, even breaking some minor news.

"We have begun the dialogue with his representatives," he said. "Where it goes or whether it's something that gets done here in the offseason or during the season or perhaps even at the end of the season, I really don't know how that's going to play out."

This shows you that it's "when" Alex gets a new deal, no longer "if".

As far as I know, this is the first time anyone with the Chiefs have publicly confirmed that they are talking with Alex's camp about a new long-term deal. And, by the way, Hunt indicated that long-term, to him, means 3-5 years, which is about what we thought.

Hunt left the door wide open as to when this deal could get done. He mentioned this offseason, during next season or even at the end of next season. That's quite the range, which suggests that they're not very far into this negotiation process.

I'm as anxious as anyone to find out what those numbers will look like. We don't have any idea what kind of deal they're talking about. $12 million per year? $17 million? Bueller?

Alex Smith's stats, the trade, his Pro Bowl appearance, all the wins, playing his best in the playoffs ... he has a lot going for him, which all adds up to large numbers on a contract. Add in the fact that quarterbacks are just really expensive to begin with and there are reasons to believe this will get very pricey.

On the flip side, Alex Smith isn't Aaron Rodgers, out there winning games on his own. Everyone thinks paying Jay Cutler $100+ million is insane and many people will think it's crazy to do the same to Alex.

I guess what I'm saying here is that I don't know how this thing will go. I will predict, however, that this negotiation will not get contentious and it will not be filled with leaks. We shall wait.

H/T Chiefs Spin

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/2/12/5404200/alex-smith-contract-kansas-city-chiefs-clark-hunt

ThaVirus
02-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Whatever happens, let's hope we get this shit right..

notorious
02-12-2014, 03:53 PM
So it begins.

MIAdragon
02-12-2014, 03:56 PM
This shocks, nobody.

duncan_idaho
02-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Hopes:

1) They mirror the Cutler deal in structuring, with an easy out after 2015 season.

2) Money is less than what was given to Cutler

Direckshun
02-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Yeah, hopefully they structure it so it'd be easy to cut him after 2015.

TLO
02-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Hopes:

1) They mirror the Cutler deal in structuring, with an easy out after 2015 season.

Yes.

duncan_idaho
02-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Fears:

1) Money is bigger than Cutler

2) There is no easy out until after year 3

3) Smith doesn't elevate his play, team can't improve cast around him enough

milkman
02-12-2014, 04:24 PM
I hope it gets done this offseason, and he continues the growth he shoed over the last half of last season.

If he continues to grow next season and this doesn't get done before that, he becomes more costly.

mcaj22
02-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Fears:

aka the dreaded Cassel contract lol

BigMeatballDave
02-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Relax, guys. Damn. LOL

Big Poppa Payne
02-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Alex Smith is a play maker, this is good news.

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/alex-smith-shovel-pass-in-afc-wildcard-game.gif?w=500

Simply Red
02-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Alex Smith is a play maker, this is good news.

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/alex-smith-shovel-pass-in-afc-wildcard-game.gif?w=500

He certainly did his job when it mattered most, that's more than most of the others can say. I'm glad he's our QB.

Big Poppa Payne
02-12-2014, 04:35 PM
http://tireball.com/uploads/averytd.gif

CaliforniaChief
02-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Game results aside, I almost passed out from shock and disbelief when he launched that perfect bomb to Avery. Stepped up from the pressure and just launched right into his chest.

Buehler445
02-12-2014, 04:40 PM
I hope it gets done this offseason, and he continues the growth he shoed over the last half of last season.

If he continues to grow next season and this doesn't get done before that, he becomes more costly.

AND we need him to show continues growth.

BWillie
02-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Why? Franchise tag him for two years after this year. No reason to give him a new contract right now. Call it good.

If anybody should be in talks for a new contract, it should be Jamaal Charles.

Red Beans
02-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Game results aside, I almost passed out from shock and disbelief when he launched that perfect bomb to Avery. Stepped up from the pressure and just launched right into his chest.

That's the truth. A "what the fuck?!?" moment to be sure.

Brock
02-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Why? Franchise tag him for two years after this year. No reason to give him a new contract right now. Call it good.

You want to pay him 16 million for a year? Brilliant.

patteeu
02-12-2014, 04:49 PM

That would be a mega-expensive franchise tag.

duncan_idaho
02-12-2014, 04:53 PM

Flip side:

If he regresses at all or can't sustain his play from the second half of the season over a full year, and the contract is done before then, it is a costly mistake (if there is not an easy out).

duncan_idaho
02-12-2014, 04:56 PM

I continue to be amazed that people praise Alex Smith so much for this play.

He did his job on this play and delivered the throw ... but you SHOULD expect ANY NFL QB to make that throw when his WR has toasted the defender by 5-6 steps.

The great part of this play was Avery toasting the DB, not the delivery of the ball.

That's a throw ANY competent NFL QB makes (and before you reference Matt Cassel, remember I said COMPETENT).

BWillie
02-12-2014, 04:59 PM
You want to pay him 16 million for a year? Brilliant.

You want to pay him for Five years for just as much?

Easy 6
02-12-2014, 04:59 PM

He did his job on this play and delivered the throw ... but you SHOULD expect ANY NFL QB to make that throw when his WR has toasted the defender by 5-6 steps.

The great part of this play was Avery toasting the DB, not the delivery of the ball.

That's a throw ANY competent NFL QB makes (and before you reference Matt Cassel, remember I said COMPETENT).

That was just one of many great plays that game, just say you don't like him and probably never will... that way atleast people know where you're always going to be coming from when discussing Smith.

T-post Tom
02-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Hey...wait a minute...

I thought Alex Smith sucks and always will. WTH is going on here? :p

Big Poppa Payne
02-12-2014, 05:02 PM

I thought it was an absolute perfect throw. How many times throughout the years have we seen Chiefs QB's either under-throw or over-throw that exact play? Yeah Avery burnt the DB but Alex hooked it up.

Halfcan
02-12-2014, 05:03 PM

More shcked Avery caught it...

Halfcan
02-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Chiefs should see how he plays the first half of the year-if he is sucking then let him move on.

Hopefully we draft a QB this year.

duncan_idaho
02-12-2014, 05:10 PM
That was just one of many great plays that game, just say you don't like him and probably never will... that way atleast people know where you're always going to be coming from when discussing Smith.

He made a lot of great plays in that game. And a lot of plays he was criticized (by me, by others, by people in san Francisco) for NOT trying to make in the past. The nice TD throw to Knile Davis, the Favre-esque flip to Sherman, stand out in that regard.

I just think it's odd that people look at that throw and think it's a "great play" ... when the guy he's throwing to is SO wide open, any QB in the NFL should be able to hit him for a TD. Making throws to guys with 2-3+ steps downfield and no safety help behind them has never been a criticism of Alex.

I've got no problem with extending Alex Smith. It makes sense. I think the money, years, and structure of the contract are important, because the Chiefs have to UPGRADE the talent on both sides of the ball around him to get where we all want to see them go.

I'm optimistic about his growth and future here, but still cautiously optimistic in that regard. His play from the Chargers game on was solidly top half of the NFL QB play. Still not elite, but in that next range.

Would love to see that play out over a full season, because it's good for my team. Just not completely sold on a 6-game sample size.

bevischief
02-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Hopes:

Fears:

This.

Jakemall
02-12-2014, 05:14 PM

If he plays consistently at the level he played at against Indy, how much growth does he need vs consistency in playing that way?

Not saying he shouldn't or won't get better.

duncan_idaho
02-12-2014, 05:15 PM
I thought it was an absolute perfect throw. How many times throughout the years have we seen Chiefs QB's either under-throw or over-throw that exact play? Yeah Avery burnt the DB but Alex hooked it up.

We've seen it a lot, because the Chiefs have had sub-standard QB for nearly a decade. Ever since Green was concussed, basically. And had sub-standard QB play for the better part of a decade before that (Montana retirement through trading for Green).

KC being a QB wasteland for most of the past two decades seems to blind some folks to what even an average NFL QB should be able to accomplish.

Halfcan
02-12-2014, 05:16 PM

:thumb:

Jakemall
02-12-2014, 05:16 PM

It is a good play on Alex's part by making the defender miss him while keeping his eyes down field and putting the pass where it is supposed to be.

But you're right..it isn't an amazing pass...it is a great play though.

mikey23545
02-12-2014, 05:17 PM

:deevee:

R8RFAN
02-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Smiff is a damn good QB... Alot better than I thought he would be...

Pay him, I would take him as the Raiders QB

duncan_idaho
02-12-2014, 05:19 PM
It is a good play on Alex's part by making the defender miss him while keeping his eyes down field and putting the pass where it is supposed to be.

But you're right..it isn't an amazing pass...it is a great play though.

Sure. A good play. But a play any decent NFL starter should be able to make. Take two steps up in the pocket while keeping the eyes downfield and making a throw to a guy who has 5 steps.

I'm not saying it's a "nothing" play. Just that Chiefs fans - because they haven't seen it very often - think that play is more special than it was. When it really should be a play any NFL starting QB can accomplish.

notorious
02-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Why does Charles need a new contract?

Titty Meat
02-12-2014, 05:20 PM

That says a lot because you're a dumbass

Easy 6
02-12-2014, 05:21 PM
He made a lot of great plays in that game. And a lot of plays he was criticized (by me, by others, by people in san Francisco) for NOT trying to make in the past. The nice TD throw to Knile Davis, the Favre-esque flip to Sherman, stand out in that regard.

I just think it's odd that people look at that throw and think it's a "great play" ... when the guy he's throwing to is SO wide open, any QB in the NFL should be able to hit him for a TD. Making throws to guys with 2-3+ steps downfield and no safety help behind them has never been a criticism of Alex.

I've got no problem with extending Alex Smith. It makes sense. I think the money, years, and structure of the contract are important, because the Chiefs have to UPGRADE the talent on both sides of the ball around him to get where we all want to see them go.

I'm optimistic about his growth and future here, but still cautiously optimistic in that regard. His play from the Chargers game on was solidly top half of the NFL QB play. Still not elite, but in that next range.

Would love to see that play out over a full season, because it's good for my team. Just not completely sold on a 6-game sample size.

Top QB's miss that throw all of the time, Brady alone missed atleast a dozen like that this year... see NPaynes post above, yes Avery got open but it means nothing if Smith doesn't lay out a perfect pass.

Jakemall
02-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Sure. A good play. But a play any decent NFL starter should be able to make. Take two steps up in the pocket while keeping the eyes downfield and making a throw to a guy who has 5 steps.

I'm not saying it's a "nothing" play. Just that Chiefs fans - because they haven't seen it very often - think that play is more special than it was. When it really should be a play any NFL starting QB can accomplish.

Any NFL starting QB can...but not every starting QB does...at least on a regular basis. Missed reads, Bad throws, not making the defender miss all happen.

But I don't disagree that the play is made more of than it is when taken on its own.

duncan_idaho
02-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Top QB's miss that throw all of the time, Brady alone missed atleast a dozen like that this year... see NPaynes post above, yes Avery got open but it means nothing if Smith doesn't lay out a perfect pass.

I'll put it this way: If Alex Smith is a college QB who misses that throw, and he's being evaluated for the NFL draft, he would get ripped apart by draft analysts for missing it.

Especially the hallowed Mike Mayock, whom I've seen freak out about just such a play SEVERAL times over the years.

I once heard Russ Lande (whom I don't think is that great but used to work with) sum it up really well: "If a QB can't hit a guy in stride when he's got more than 2 steps on the defender, he has no business calling himself a QB in the NFL."

Yeah, sometimes guys miss throws. But when they do, it is freak-out time (and deservedly so).

Big Poppa Payne
02-12-2014, 05:33 PM
We've seen it a lot, because the Chiefs have had sub-standard QB for nearly a decade. Ever since Green was concussed, basically. And had sub-standard QB play for the better part of a decade before that (Montana retirement through trading for Green).

KC being a QB wasteland for most of the past two decades seems to blind some folks to what even an average NFL QB should be able to accomplish.

I don't disagree with you, it's a throw that I'm used to seeing QB's from other teams make. Maybe that is why I was so excited to see Alex make that throw, we rarely see the big home run play like that from the Chiefs.

Easy 6
02-12-2014, 05:36 PM
I'll put it this way: If Alex Smith is a college QB who misses that throw, and he's being evaluated for the NFL draft, he would get ripped apart by draft analysts for missing it.

Especially the hallowed Mike Mayock, whom I've seen freak out about just such a play SEVERAL times over the years.

I once heard Russ Lande (whom I don't think is that great but used to work with) sum it up really well: "If a QB can't hit a guy in stride when he's got more than 2 steps on the defender, he has not business calling himself a QB in the NFL."

Yeah, sometimes guys miss throws. But when they do, it is freak-out time (and deservedly so).

Nothing to disagree with here really, and as you said earlier, maybe a lot of the thrill was that we were starved for air it out plays like that... so no, it was nothing earth shattering.

But it sure was nice to see Smitty throw for distance WITH accuracy... thus putting the kibosh on the "rag arm" talk.

Hammock Parties
02-12-2014, 05:37 PM
I bet there's deferred money from his football career in that deal.

Cheaters.

Halfcan
02-12-2014, 05:42 PM

Don't worry Casshole opted out of his contract and is now available for you guys. He will fit in perfect there. :thumb:

5 years and 60 million would probably do it-and you have the cap room for such an awesome contract!!

duncan_idaho
02-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Nothing to disagree with here really, and as you said earlier, maybe a lot of the thrill was that we were starved for air it out plays like that... so no, it was nothing earth shattering.

But it sure was nice to see Smitty throw for distance WITH accuracy... thus putting the kibosh on the "rag arm" talk.

Sure. The rag arm descriptions were never really accurate.

Most who expressed concern about his ability to throw it downfield always were questioning his WILL, not his skill.

That throw doesn't address THAT particular critique... but it does show him making a play you need competent NFL QBs to make. So that part is great.

R8RFAN
02-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Don't worry Casshole opted out of his contract and is now available for you guys. He will fit in perfect there. :thumb:

5 years and 60 million would probably do it-and you have the cap room for such an awesome contract!!

Not happening

Halfcan
02-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Not happening

Just remember where you heard it on the day he signs for the Silver and Black. :thumb:

J Diddy
02-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Not happening

Why not? Talent and good decisions are not necessarily your hallmarks.

R8RFAN
02-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Why not? Talent and good decisions are not necessarily your hallmarks.

yEA... The Chiefs have been barn burners in this category:thumb:

Sorter
02-12-2014, 06:52 PM

The majority of NFL QBs are not consistent at climbing the pocket and delivering throws down the field like this in high-pressure/playoff games.

Alex isn't consistent at this either but this was a step in the right direction.

O.city
02-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Surprisingly, it seems even NFL qbs struggle climbing the pocket like that

Eleazar
02-12-2014, 06:57 PM
:old:

Sannyasi
02-12-2014, 06:59 PM
I still think it makes a certain amount of sense to wait another year before going down this road. A higher sample size of games is going to lead to a more accurate gauge of his production in this offense, which will result in a more fair contract for both sides.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-12-2014, 07:00 PM

And THAT was a 50 yard pass in the air.

What a manager ! What a manager !

Sorter
02-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Surprisingly, it seems even NFL qbs struggle climbing the pocket like that

I don't think it's surprising. It's not exactly the easiest thing to do, especially when most QBs are taught to roll out and run/throw OB/avoid the sack.

BigBeauford
02-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Not happening

Good things come in 3's! Matt Leinhart, Matt Flynn, and Matt Cassel!

Rasputin
02-12-2014, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't be in any hurry on a new deal. I'd let him play and see how things go by mid season. His price may go up if he is doing really good but if he starts to show regression & last season was much about our competition then we wont be stuck with him for 2015 or longer.

Mr. Laz
02-12-2014, 07:35 PM

he avoided the rush and kept his eyes downfield
didn't panic and rush the throw

ThaVirus
02-12-2014, 07:41 PM
I still think it makes a certain amount of sense to wait another year before going down this road. A higher sample size of games is going to lead to a more accurate gauge of his production in this offense, which will result in a more fair contract for both sides.

It makes sense to do it now if upper management feels he's on the verge of having a breakout season. Alex was hand-picked by Andy so I'm assuming they feel he is.

If we sign him to a deal for 13-15 /year and he breaks out this season, we will have avoided having to negotiate the deal later in which he could be looking for upwards of 18 /year.

Of course, I have no idea what actual numbers they're throwing around but the difference between inking a contract now and after a breakout season would be significant.

Mr. Laz
02-12-2014, 07:45 PM
It makes sense to do it now if upper management feels he's on the verge of having a breakout season. Alex was hand-picked by Andy so I'm assuming they feel he is.

If we sign him to a deal for 13-15 /year and he breaks out this season, we will have avoided having to negotiate the deal later in which he could be looking for upwards of 18 /year.

Of course, I have no idea what actual numbers they're throwing around but the difference between inking a contract now and after a breakout season would be significant.
If they are going to push for more offensive weapons this offseason then the price might go up quite a bit.

Brock
02-12-2014, 07:59 PM
You want to pay him for Five years for just as much?

You think they're going to give him a contract that pays 16 million a year? Gtfo of here.

TripleThreat
02-12-2014, 08:10 PM
I like alex smith, I think the guy is a baller. That being said, I really would like to see us wait till next year to extend him just to make sure he can repeat. Not saying he cant, but I think waiting imo is a better idea. Unless our front office has 100% decided we are going the next decade with smith I think the latter is the better option. I don't think waiting hurts his ego either, plenty of teams wait till there stars contract years like Brees and Cutler. Brees was almost franchise tagged remember??

Lets wait till next year, who knows it may benefit alex by waiting if he wins us the superbowl next year and if that happens I dgaf what we pay. Winning a superbowl in 5-10 years is hard enough as it is, ask the 20+ teams who haven't been there in a decade (;

cdcox
02-12-2014, 08:34 PM
If he plays consistently at the level he played at against Indy, how much growth does he need vs consistency in playing that way?

Not saying he shouldn't or won't get better.

I love how people take his career best game and project that as his new norm.

After Schaub's game against Jacksonville last season, did you expect him to have an 8000 yard passing season?

TripleThreat
02-12-2014, 08:47 PM
I love how people take his career best game and project that as his new norm.

After Schaub's game against Jacksonville last season, did you expect him to have an 8000 yard passing season?

Uhm? you should re-read the quote u quoted.... he's saying if he DID play at that level game in and game out how much change would he really need? Hes not saying that he normally plays like that.. ???

cdcox
02-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Uhm? you should re-read the quote u quoted.... he's saying if he DID play at that level game in and game out how much change would he really need? Hes not saying that he normally plays like that.. ???

It is unreasonable to expect him to play at that level on a consistent basis. No one expects him to throw for 6000 yards and 60+ TDs with no interceptions over the course of the season. If no one expects that, don't make it the basis of an argument that he is already good enough.

stonedstooge
02-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Do they still tie incentives into players contracts?

TripleThreat
02-12-2014, 09:24 PM
It is unreasonable to expect him to play at that level on a consistent basis. No one expects him to throw for 6000 yards and 60+ TDs with no interceptions over the course of the season. If no one expects that, don't make it the basis of an argument that he is already good enough.

I don't think anyone is or should be expecting him to play at that level every game.. if he does then he is going to be better than peyton manning and Tom brady (in the stats column) and hold every record in passing for the next 250years..

arrowheadnation
02-13-2014, 10:18 PM
I was against this mother fucker from the beginning, but we have to roll with him now. Let's get him some actual receivers and see what the fuck he can do.

InChiefsHeaven
02-13-2014, 10:58 PM
That was a beautiful pass on a rail under pressure right in the bread basket. No wobble. Manning doesn't make that throw. At least, not that pretty.

I don't know what that means, but it's certainly not a run of the mill play.

But I'm a Chiefs fan. So there's that...

Ragged Robin
02-13-2014, 11:12 PM
I was against this mother ****er from the beginning, but we have to roll with him now. Let's get him some actual receivers and see what the **** he can do.

We've seen what he can do. Were you not watching during the playoffs?

mcaj22
02-13-2014, 11:31 PM
let's get an actual defense and then see what Alex Smith can do

BossChief
02-14-2014, 12:13 AM
Here is my logical prediction for his contract amount...

6 years, 90 million with 43 million guaranteed all in the first 3 years.

I say that because it seems that the guaranteed money for these new quarterback deals seems to be based pretty closely on te amount that consecutive franchise tags would cost (with a little discount given from the players side, but not much)...but Alex isn't negotiating without a current contract to figure in...he is still under contract in 2014 for 7.5 million.

In any contract negotiation, both sides propose what they want and do their best to back their sides argument with relative value of other players from similar situations.

In 2014, the franchise tag for quarterbacks is 16.2 million...so a similar figure should be expected for 2015. When you tag a player a second time, the amount is 120% of the last tag amount. If a player is tagged a third time, he gets 144% of the initial tag amount.

So Tom Condon is probably asking for the full amount of what Alex would get if he was on the tag for 2 years after the 7.5 next year...in guaranteed money.

--------
43 million

That's gonna be damn close to the guaranteed amount, IMO.

In most of these deals Condon has worked for his other clients (Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Matt Stafford, etc) the guaranteed money was just about half the total amount of the contract.

6 years, 90 million....43 million guaranteed all in the first 3 years.

That's my educated guess.

If we were to wait, I'd bet almost anything the deal would be almost identical to Cutlers deal...probably more.

RobBlake
02-14-2014, 01:52 AM
Smith is 100% a team guy and this dude has been paid BIG time when rookie QBs/number one picks still got paid mega millions. He will take a honest contract while leaving room for playmakers.. bank it

Baby Lee
02-14-2014, 02:11 AM
I can honestly say, there's no feasible quarterback I'd rather have than Alex, Rodgers and Brees aren't going anywhere let alone to KC, Brady would have to drag Belichick with both heels planted all the way across PA, OH and IL to even get here.

He played exactly as I envisioned, and the D played exactly as I feared.

Our problems are TE and Free Safety, [with a soupcon of keeping our dominant pass rushers healthy]. Another WR in a WR rich offseason would be nice as well.

Secure, Alex. He won't disappoint, unless you're a pedantic troll.

|Zach|
02-14-2014, 02:57 AM
I can honestly say, there's no feasible quarterback I'd rather have than Alex, Rodgers and Brees aren't going anywhere let alone to KC, Brady would have to drag Belichick with both heels planted all the way across PA, OH and IL to even get here.

Our problems are TE and Free Safety, [with a soupcon of keeping our dominant pass rushers healthy]. Another WR in a WR rich offseason would be nice as well.

Agree. I really worry about our pass rush though. You really think it is an injury thing?

thabear04
02-14-2014, 04:11 AM

And Avery caught the ball.

Mav
02-14-2014, 05:05 AM
Smith is 100% a team guy and this dude has been paid BIG time when rookie QBs/number one picks still got paid mega millions. He will take a honest contract while leaving room for playmakers.. bank it

This. Of course, I believe I have said something similar.

Simply Red
02-14-2014, 05:18 AM
This. Of course, I believe I have said something similar.

I have to hand it to you Mav. Smiff balled outta control in our playoff game.

AND WHY DOES THAT ALWAYS HAVE TO BE SINGULAR??!!

Mr. Flopnuts
02-14-2014, 06:51 AM

If that doesn't make your dick hard as a Chiefs fan, you must be impotent like Tribal Warfare.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-14-2014, 06:56 AM

Bullshit. Stepping up and away from the pressure behind him, and then perfectly delivering that ball 50 yards downfield, while Avery was in stride, to allow him to go to the house is NOT something every NFL QB hits with 100% accuracy. Nor do they do it as well in the playoffs, on the road, and again, UNDER PRESSURE. That was a great play, and only shell shocked fans of the Kansas City Chiefs are so hard on their QB's. I get it. We've had some shit behind center for a long time. But it's time to embrace what we have here. A top half QB that has the ability to take us all the way.

warrior
02-14-2014, 07:02 AM
Bullshit. Stepping up and away from the pressure behind him, and then perfectly delivering that ball 50 yards downfield, while Avery was in stride, to allow him to go to the house is NOT something every NFL QB hits with 100% accuracy. Nor do they do it as well in the playoffs, on the road, and again, UNDER PRESSURE. That was a great play, and only shell shocked fans of the Kansas City Chiefs are so hard on their QB's. I get it. We've had some shit behind center for a long time. But it's time to embrace what we have here. A top half QB that has the ability to take us all the way.

Nice posts Mr Flop and Baby Lee couldn't agree more with the both of you.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-14-2014, 07:07 AM

The majority of NFL QBs are not consistent at climbing the pocket and delivering throws down the field like this in high-pressure/playoff games.

Alex isn't consistent at this either but this was a step in the right direction.

Exactly!

Mr. Flopnuts
02-14-2014, 07:09 AM
I wouldn't be in any hurry on a new deal. I'd let him play and see how things go by mid season. His price may go up if he is doing really good but if he starts to show regression & last season was much about our competition then we wont be stuck with him for 2015 or longer.

What I find encouraging, is that he progressed and got markedly better in our offense in the 2nd half of the season. He did it against better competition. While our record tanked, it was a product of our gimmick defense being sniffed out by top flight competition. Our offense kept us in those games. We would've been blown out in most of them had we played those games early in season.

He's proven to me everything I need to see. Get our QB wrapped up for 4-5 years, and let's roll. He's the best we've had since Trent. By a country mile.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-14-2014, 07:10 AM

And that's a big deal in terms of cap space, and being able to put pieces around him. Lock him up now, while it won't cost as much. That's my take.

stonedstooge
02-14-2014, 07:19 AM
If we JUST get Matt more weapons....oh wait!

TEX
02-14-2014, 07:59 AM
If we JUST get Matt more weapons....oh wait!

Are you comparing Alex Smith to Matt Cassel? Id LOVE for the Chiefs to get Alex more weapons, turn him loose and see what happens. Maybe we could make Manning's career end on a not so happy note. Alex can take the Chiefs where they want to go. No chance Cassel ever could. Two totally different QB's.

Buehler445
02-14-2014, 08:08 AM

Excellent, excellent word choice, sir. Rep.

Molitoth
02-14-2014, 09:29 AM

Beautiful things happen when Alex steps UP in the pocket.

I wish he would do it more often.

Edit: Looks like Sorter beat me to it.

Jimmya
02-14-2014, 09:32 AM
Hopefully we'll have a wr that can challenge deep.

Sandy Vagina
02-14-2014, 09:41 AM
If that doesn't make your dick hard as a Chiefs fan, you must be impotent like Tribal Warfare.

Thank You, sir!
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2012/06/rdj_thanks.gif

Ragged Robin
02-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Hopefully we'll have a wr that can challenge deep.

We already have a couple deep threats. We need a reliable #1 who can take over a game.

patteeu
02-14-2014, 12:22 PM

Agree!

htismaqe
02-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Alex Smith really grew on me.

I'm fully in the Alex Smith camp, but only because I believe we can get playoff-caliber play out of him for a lot less cap space than a guy like Jay Cutler. Alex seems to me to be the kind of guy you can actually build a team around because he's not going to demand a $100M contract.

Now that being said, if he gets a Cutler contract, I'm jumping off the bandwagon. I think this team can win with Alex Smith but I absolutely don't think they can win with Alex Smith taking up 15-20% of the cap.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Of course you want an elite 'carry the team' type QB(rodger,manning,brady) but if you can't have one of those then isn't it better to have the Alex Smith type?

Cutler/Flacco taking up 1/5 of the cap

or

Alex Smith with a cap friendly deal that allows you more talent on team

GordonGekko
02-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Look at what the Seahturkeys were able to do with Russel Wilson making a crisp $500k this past season. Of course it won't last but they really loaded up.

patteeu
02-14-2014, 01:23 PM
Of course you want an elite 'carry the team' type QB(rodger,manning,brady) but if you can't have one of those then isn't it better to have the Alex Smith type?

or

I'd take Alex Smith over either Cutler or Flacco, especially Flacco, for the same money.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2014, 01:27 PM
I'd take Alex Smith over either Cutler or Flacco, especially Flacco, for the same money.

I would say that Smith is smarter and more controlled than both of those guys.

If we get a full year of offense like the 2nd half of the season than i don't see much reason to change QB's.

like everything, depends on the money though

htismaqe
02-14-2014, 01:27 PM

or

I would argue that even the elite QBs eventually carry with them diminishing returns. Look at the Broncos, for example.

I'd much rather have an ascending Alex Smith on a cheaper contract.

MotherfuckerJones
02-14-2014, 01:51 PM

What a bomb. From our 16 yd line to their 35

Easy 6
02-14-2014, 01:52 PM

I'm fully in the Alex Smith camp, but only because I believe we can get playoff-caliber play out of him for a lot less cap space than a guy like Jay Cutler. Alex seems to me to be the kind of guy you can actually build a team around because he's not going to demand a $100M contract.

Now that being said, if he gets a Cutler contract, I'm jumping off the bandwagon. I think this team can win with Alex Smith but I absolutely don't think they can win with Alex Smith taking up 15-20% of the cap.

:rockon:

BigMeatballDave
02-14-2014, 04:00 PM
If we JUST get Matt more weapons....oh wait!.

SAUTO
02-14-2014, 04:40 PM

these are my feelings exactly

Marcellus
02-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Alex is who I thought he was from day 1.

And he will sign reasonable extension.

-King-
02-14-2014, 07:41 PM

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/tom-brady-misses-a-wide-open-julian-edelman1.gif

OldSchool
02-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Best deep ball thrower that I have seen in a long time is Aaron Rodgers, and even he isn't a guarantee in that situation.

Give Smith a couple of steady receivers who have good speed and route running ability and let him work with them for a couple of years. In SF, Smith would be fairly inconsistent on deep throws with his WRs but there was one player whom he was always able to get the ball to virtually every time that he was open down field, and that player was Vernon Davis. Why is that? The answer is simple, Davis is the one pass catcher that Smith was able to play with the longest and had the most experience with.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-14-2014, 07:58 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img844/8867/49q.gif

Easy 6
02-14-2014, 08:07 PM
http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/tom-brady-misses-a-wide-open-julian-edelman1.gif

BRADY SUCKS ASS :banghead:

OldSchool
02-14-2014, 08:11 PM
BRADY SUCKS ASS :banghead:

His deep ball accuracy has gotten progressively worse over the past 2 seasons. Betting he retires after 2014 and Mallet takes over and doesn't miss a beat.

Brock
02-14-2014, 08:19 PM
His deep ball accuracy has gotten progressively worse over the past 2 seasons. Betting he retires after 2014 and Mallet takes over and doesn't miss a beat.

LMAO k.

jd1020
02-14-2014, 08:26 PM

What kind of odds is Vegas giving you that Mallet enters at the same level as Brady?

Jakemall
02-14-2014, 08:38 PM
When did recreational use of marijuana become legal in Missouri?

Baby Lee
02-14-2014, 08:41 PM

This past season Brady connected on an almost identical pass for a TD, only had even more time, an even bigger pocket, and a WR with even more separation.

The usual suspects were all over his jock 'OMGF, that's why he's elite. Take a look Chiefs fans, that's what QBing in the new millennium looks like. Alex could NEVER pull that off.'

And I said, 'let us see Alex in that situation just once.'

Cut to playoffs;

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001616599/3612106769_hannibal_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

J Diddy
02-14-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm happy. Been a long time since we had a leader, uh, ya know, leading.

Earthling
02-14-2014, 09:03 PM

tk13
02-14-2014, 09:05 PM
The deep ball is not Alex's strength but I think we often overlook the number of throws other QBs miss too. It happens all the time. I thought he got better as the year went on. He can probably hit enough of them to run Reid's offense.

That's the hopeful thing... we have a pretty solid offensive coaching staff in place, and Alex improved throughout the year. There'll be some continuity.

The best thing about the playoff game was his pocket presence. It was like he was a different QB. He wasn't perfect but he actually made the offensive line look better than they really played. I don't even know the last time a Chiefs' QB did that.

Ragged Robin
02-14-2014, 09:11 PM
The deep ball is not Alex's strength but I think we often overlook the number of throws other QBs miss too. It happens all the time. I thought he got better as the year went on. He can probably hit enough of them to run Reid's offense.

That's the hopeful thing... we have a pretty solid offensive coaching staff in place, and Alex improved throughout the year. There'll be some continuity.

The best thing about the playoff game was his pocket presence. It was like he was a different QB. He wasn't perfect but he actually made the offensive line look better than they really played. I don't even know the last time a Chiefs' QB did that.

I don't think it's a weakness or lack of ability, we've seen throughout the year that he can hit it on the money, the amount of times he attempts it are just few and far between. He's not a gunslinger type that will just chuck it up every time, it seems like they need to have definite separation or he has complete trust in the receiver for him to be willing to attempt it, otherwise he will go the safe route.

He seems to play his best in big games which is encouraging, even though we seem to lose those games despite of his performances (lolsutton)

Easy 6
02-14-2014, 09:16 PM
This past season Brady connected on an almost identical pass for a TD, only had even more time, an even bigger pocket, and a WR with even more separation.

The usual suspects were all over his jock 'OMGF, that's why he's elite. Take a look Chiefs fans, that's what QBing in the new millennium looks like. Alex could NEVER pull that off.'

And I said, 'let us see Alex in that situation just once.'

Cut to playoffs;

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001616599/3612106769_hannibal_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

George Peppard approves :thumb:

milkman
02-15-2014, 07:18 AM
Alex is who I thought he was from day 1.

And he will sign reasonable extension.

I can't say who you thought he was, but I can almost assuredly say he isn't.

BlackHelicopters
02-15-2014, 07:21 AM
What does Chuck Norris think?

jjchieffan
02-15-2014, 09:06 AM

Chiefshrink
02-15-2014, 09:34 AM
[B] Everyone thinks paying Jay Cutler $100+ million is insane and many people will think it's crazy to do the same to Alex.

Who is this writer to compare Jay to Alex ? Seriously :shrug: Jay - a million dollar arm with a 10 cent head and heart that loves to turn the ball over when the heat is too hot in the kitchen and ready to throw the towel in on a moments notice. Just compare the W's, turn over ratio and playoff appearance these last 2 seasons between the two and that's enough for me to at least pay Alex what he is worth.

Thoroughly agree.:thumb:

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't like the AS trade. But as the defense softened by mid season and the offense and AS continued to improve to the point where we were averaging in the mid to high 20's scoring to the point of hanging 38 pts on Indy in a playoff game just after halftime, I began to see that AS not only has a lot more in the tank but that we actually saw the "real AS" in that Indy game that has been pretty much dormant(for many reasons) up until 2yrs ago and he only gets better to your point of continuing his growth.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-21-2014, 01:03 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dorsey confirms the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Chiefs&amp;src=hash">#Chiefs</a> have reached out to Alex Smith’s representatives. An extension could clear some much-needed cap room.</p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/statuses/436938966378373120">February 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mr. Laz
02-21-2014, 01:59 PM

His deep ball accuracy has gotten wrong pretty much in direct correlation to him losing talent at WR.

Alex Smith can and will throw deep IF we get him some decent deep receivers.

That's why we should probably let McCluster go if we can replace him with more of a deep threat. Jenkins,Dressler and McKnight will just need to step-up and replace DmC's production in the PRs and short passing game.

Ideally we get to add a #1 and #3 wrs that push Bowe and Avery down a spot on the depth chart.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-03-2014, 10:33 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kaepernick starting contract talks at $18 million per <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet">@RapSheet</a> not a surprise. That&#39;s the McContract for franchise QBs.</p>&mdash; gregg rosenthal (@greggrosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/greggrosenthal/statuses/440520194293645312">March 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

I gotta think this hurts us.

OldSchool
03-03-2014, 10:38 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kaepernick starting contract talks at $18 million per <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet">@RapSheet</a> not a surprise. That's the McContract for franchise QBs.</p>&mdash; gregg rosenthal (@greggrosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/greggrosenthal/statuses/440520194293645312">March 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

ROFLROFLROFL 18 Mil starting price for Kaepernick? That's hilarious. Hell, Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, and Michael Vick could win a championship with that team.

Jakemall
03-03-2014, 11:09 AM
ROFLROFLROFL 18 Mil starting price for Kaepernick? That's hilarious. Hell, Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, and Michael Vick could win a championship with that team.

Pretty much. I think any top 15 qb would have a chance.

JENKINSWINS
03-03-2014, 11:10 AM

They could've won the last 3, so this is true.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
03-03-2014, 11:16 AM
I hear he is the man, is the man, is the man.

Eleazar
03-03-2014, 11:22 AM

Are you an ass?

Jimmya
03-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Holy cow! Surprises me!

Mr. Laz
03-03-2014, 01:25 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kaepernick starting contract talks at $18 million per <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet">@RapSheet</a> not a surprise. That's the McContract for franchise QBs.</p>&mdash; gregg rosenthal (@greggrosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/greggrosenthal/statuses/440520194293645312">March 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

ouch ... maybe we should go ahead and get the Alex Smith contract extension done.

htismaqe
03-03-2014, 02:07 PM
ouch ... maybe we should go ahead and get the Alex Smith contract extension done.

This.

Omaha
03-03-2014, 02:10 PM

That was a beautiful play.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2014, 03:42 PM
This.
I was pretty much of the mind to just wait and see. If all these other non-elite QB's are going to get massive coin then we will probably save money by moving quickly.

I just hope we structure it so that we have a way to move on in a few years, if needed.

beach tribe
03-03-2014, 04:01 PM

I think Smith knows this too, and believe that unlike a lot of NFL players, winning is his #1 goal.

You could really tell how much it meant to him in his biggest game as a Chief.

It's also obvious to anyone who isn't too jaded acknowledge it, that he has the talent to get it done.

100% in his camp.

jkw87
03-03-2014, 04:51 PM
That's the sad thing about the quarterback salaries this day... They're getting out of hand quite a bit. Kaep possibly getting 18+/year, Cutlers ridiculous contract... It skews it so much that agents are able to get just average QBs who haven't done much but be on a very solid team tremendous contracts.

NinerDoug
03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
That's the sad thing about the quarterback salaries this day... They're getting out of hand quite a bit. Kaep possibly getting 18+/year, Cutlers ridiculous contract... It skews it so much that agents are able to get just average QBs who haven't done much but be on a very solid team tremendous contracts.

On the other hand, the days of paying an unproven high draft pick QB 8 figures are gone. No more Jamarcus Russells.

jkw87
03-03-2014, 07:04 PM
On the other hand, the days of paying an unproven high draft pick QB 8 figures are gone. No more Jamarcus Russells.

To be fair, I think it's just as bad. Unproven back in the day is the same as unworthys like Kaep and Cutler today

Hammock Parties
03-03-2014, 07:16 PM
It's also obvious to anyone who isn't too jaded acknowledge it, that he has the talent to get it done.

Needs to be a lot more consistent. Pump the breaks.