PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Fruit Juice....just as bad for you as soda.

CrazyPhuD
02-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Frankly this is the least surprising result in the history of science. Shocker...what's bad for you from obesity/diabetes is liquid calories that don't make you feel full. The fact that it's natural doesn't make it any better.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-02-fruit-juice-sugary.html

(Medical Xpress)—Drinking fruit juice is potentially just as bad for you as drinking sugar-sweetened drinks because of its high sugar content, two medical researchers from the University of Glasgow have warned.
Writing in The Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology journal, Professor Naveed Sattar and Dr Jason Gill – both of the university's Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences – call for better labelling of fruit juice containers to make explicit to consumers that they should drink no more than 150ml a day.
They also recommend a change to the UK Government's current "five-a-day" guidelines, saying these five fruit and vegetable servings should no longer include a portion of fruit juice. Inclusion of fruit juice as a fruit equivalent is "probably counter-productive" because it "fuels the perception that drinking fruit juice is good for health, and thus need not be subject to the limits that many individuals impose on themselves for consumption of less healthy foods".
Professor Sattar, who is Professor of Metabolic Medicine, said: "Fruit juice has a similar energy density and sugar content to other sugary drinks, for example: 250ml of apple juice typically contains 110 kcal and 26g of sugar; and 250ml of cola typically contains 105kcal and 26.5g of sugar.
"Additionally, by contrast with the evidence for solid fruit intake, for which high consumption is generally associated with reduced or neutral risk of diabetes, current evidence suggests high fruit juice intake is associated with increased risk of diabetes."One glass of fruit juice contains substantially more sugar than one piece of fruit; in addition, much of the goodness in fruit – fibre, for example – is not found in fruit juice, or is there in far smaller amounts, explains Professor Sattar.
Although fruit juices contain vitamins and minerals, whereas sugar-sweetened drinks do not, Dr Gill argues that the micronutrient content of fruit juices "might not be sufficient to offset the adverse metabolic consequences of excessive fruit juice consumption".
In one scientific trial, for example, it was shown that, despite having a high antioxidant content, the consumption of half a litre of grape juice per day for three months actually increased insulin resistance and waist circumference in overweight adults."Thus, contrary to the general perception of the public, and of many healthcare professionals, that drinking fruit juice is a positive health behaviour, their consumption might not be substantially different in health terms than drinking other sugary drinks," said Dr Gill.
The researchers also tested public awareness of the sugar content of fruit juices, smoothies and sugar-sweetened drinks by carrying out an online poll of over 2000 adults. Participants were shown pictures of full containers of different non-alcoholic beverages and were asked to estimate the number of teaspoons of sugar contained in the portion shown. Although the sugar content of all drinks and smoothies was similar, the sugar content of fruit juices and smoothies was underestimated by 48% on average, whereas the sugar content of carbonated drinks was overestimated by 12%.
"Thus, there seems to be a clear misperception that fruit juices and smoothies are low-sugar alternatives to sugar-sweetened beverages," said Dr Gill.
There are strong public health reasons for targeting sugar-sweetened drinks, possibly through the imposition of an increase in taxation as a means of reducing consumption, argues Professor Sattar.
While there have been calls in the USA to eliminate all fruit-juice consumption by children, the researchers stop short of recommending similar moves in the UK. They also feel that a fruit juice tax would not be warranted. However, Professor Sattar argues: "In the broader context of public health policy, it is important that debate about sugar-sweetened beverage reduction should include fruit juice."
The debate around fruit juice comes as medical experts are focusing more closely on the link between high sugar consumption and heart disease risks.
Professor Sattar said: "We have known for years about the dangers of excess saturated fat intake, an observation which led the food industry to replace unhealthy fats with presumed 'healthier' sugars in many food products. Helping individuals cut not only their excessive fat intake, but also refined sugar intake, could have major health benefits including lessening obesity and heart attacks. Ultimately, there needs to be a refocus to develop foods which not only limit saturated fat intake but simultaneously limit refined sugar content."

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Prison Bitch wants this on a Sports Illustrated cover

BigMeatballDave
02-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Well, fuck.

So much for cutting back on soda for OJ and Apple juice.

CrazyPhuD
02-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Well, fuck.

So much for cutting back on soda for OJ and Apple juice.

It depends upon what you are trying to address...trying to get more vitamins/minerals in your diet probably a good thing.

Trying to cut calories for dietary....not so much....liquid calories are liquid calories(especially liquid simple sugars). What makes them the debbil is that they're so easy to drink a lot and not realize it(because you don't get the 'full' sensation like you do with solid foods).

NewChief
02-12-2014, 04:40 PM
One major difference is that most people aren't guzzling down 60 (or more) fl.oz.s of fruit juice like soda junkies do with their soda.

Halfcan
02-12-2014, 04:54 PM
I guess I will stick with beer.

Silock
02-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Lol @ title of this thread. Ridiculous on so many levels.

bevischief
02-12-2014, 05:19 PM
And this is shocking news...

Easy 6
02-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Don't curr, loves me some high fructose corn syrup in me fruit juices.

TheUte
02-12-2014, 05:42 PM
JFC what can I have that is ok any more? Now no OJ in AM fuck that.

cosmo20002
02-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Contains Real Fruit Juice!

Jakemall
02-12-2014, 05:47 PM
I make my own juice with a blender and the whole fruit. I pretty much drink my fruit.

MTG#10
02-12-2014, 06:03 PM
I make my own juice with a blender and the whole fruit. I pretty much drink my fruit.

Fruit....just as bad for you as candy.

CrazyPhuD
02-12-2014, 06:15 PM
JFC what can I have that is ok any more? Now no OJ in AM fuck that.

The question is do you drink the 'pulp'(personally I hate pulpy OJ). If you drink the pulp from the fruit you're likely gaining back some of the fiber that is lost when you make fruits into juice. It's the fiber that both helps retard digestion(so it takes longer for the sugar to reach your system) and gives you the fullness feeling that slows down the consumption.

How many pieces of fruit does it take to make a glass of juice? Would people normally eat the same number of pieces of fruit in one sitting or as quickly as drinking a glass of juice? Probably not...just think how much more effort is spent eating it. The nature of fruit slows down consumption...juice doesn't.

CrazyPhuD
02-12-2014, 06:27 PM
One major difference is that most people aren't guzzling down 60 (or more) fl.oz.s of fruit juice like soda junkies do with their soda.

Well some aren't doing it today but like the study showed even drinking 2 glasses per day of grape juice had an increased insulin tolerance and increased waistlines of those overweight. Just like consuming any other liquid sugar calories.

Remember the majority of juices you see on the shelves are actually 80-90% apple/grape juice(whichever is cheaper). Not usually the more exotic juices they advertise. If in doubt look at the ingredients list and see which juice is first.

In our obesity fearing society we like to say that soda is bad but juice is good, the simple reality is it isn't. Certain locales like to talk about taxes on sugary drinks as if it's some panacea to the obesity crisis, but they always make exceptions for '100% fruit juices'.

The problem is...and entirely expected...sugar from fruit juice is no different than sugar from soda when it comes to obesity. You could make every soda drinker a fruit juice drinker and it wouldn't effect obesity. Hell I have 100% confidence that within 6 months of a nationwide soda tax we'd have 100% fruit juice Coke and Pepsi that would taste nearly the same as they do now.

The lesson is really the same, liquid sugar calories are bad for obesity/diabetes regardless of the source. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend juice is magically better.

Baby Lee
02-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Only drink 100% juice not from concentrate, absolutely no HFCS.

But so damn expensive.

Most often, I make lemonade from squeezed lemon and sugar, then mix it with Lipton brewed tea for Arnold Palmers.

BigMeatballDave
02-12-2014, 06:59 PM

But so damn expensive.

Most often, I make lemonade from squeezed lemon and sugar, then mix it with Lipton brewed tea for Arnold Palmers.

Only Tropicana 100% is what I buy.

houstonwhodat
02-12-2014, 07:01 PM
JFC what can I have that is ok any more? Now no OJ in AM **** that.

OJ is in jail.

Where he belongs.

houstonwhodat
02-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Fuck fruit juice anyway.

Get a Vitamix and make smoothies.

That thing will pulverize concrete.

Baby Lee
02-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Only Tropicana 100% is what I buy.

Usually L&A, Trader Joe's brand, or Lakewood Organic for me.

Oh, and a shit ton of Tazo, Itoen, and Honest Teas.

Tazo's Brambleberry is the shizz, it's not even really tea so much.

An infusion of (water, hibiscus, cinnamon, peppermint, lemongrass, rosehips, orange peel, natural lemon essence), cane sugar, concentrated apple and marion blackberry juices, natural flavors, and citric acid.

http://www.plummarket.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/9/794522904006.jpg

MahiMike
02-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Water is the answer.

ThaVirus
02-12-2014, 07:24 PM
So basically this article is saying that juice is just as bad as soda from a weight loss perspective?

If you're trying to lose weight, you should be drinking nothing but water anyway.

Mr. Laz
02-12-2014, 07:30 PM
So basically this article is saying that juice is just as bad as soda from a weight loss perspective?

If you're trying to lose weight, you should be drinking nothing but water anyway.

high sugar content

the more processed the sugar the worse it is

there's a big old thread about it around here were people still argue that sugar is fine

RealSNR
02-12-2014, 07:46 PM

This.

Silock
02-12-2014, 08:14 PM
there's a big old thread about it around here were people still argue that sugar is fine

That's because there's still no solid scientific evidence that it's anything bad except in the general sense of too many calories, no matter if it's natural or processed or HFCS.

Nobody got fucking fat eating fruit or drinking fucking juice alone.

Mr. Laz
02-12-2014, 08:24 PM
That's because there's still no solid scientific evidence that it's anything bad except in the general sense of too many calories, no matter if it's natural or processed or HFCS.

Nobody got ****ing fat eating fruit or drinking ****ing juice alone.

I haven't seen any concrete evidence that smoking crack every day is bad either

Dayze
02-12-2014, 08:24 PM
that shit is terrible for you. that's a perfect example of why I stick my Kool-Aid.

scho63
02-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Fruit Juice....just as bad for you as soda.

I stated this about a month or so ago in the "which is the best juicer to buy".

A complete waste of calories and the sugar content is usually sky high. In many cases it costs about $2 to make a single glass of juice with the need for so much fruit.

Plus trying to absorb vitamins by drinking them is so inefficient.

Mr. Laz
that shit is terrible for you. that's a perfect example of why I stick my Kool-Aid.

You mean the Kool-aid that you're supposed to dump a cup of processed sugar into?

:p

Dayze
Usually L&A, Trader Joe's brand, or Lakewood Organic for me.

Oh, and a shit ton of Tazo, Itoen, and Honest Teas.

Tazo's Brambleberry is the shizz, it's not even really tea so much.

http://www.plummarket.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/9/794522904006.jpg

have you tried Tazo's Mint Green Tea? Holy shit I love that stuff. I bought a big case of it a Costco, on a whim. Fell in love with it. Next time we went, I bought 2 cases. But since then, they haven't had it. I'll usually get a couple at the store though. Outstanding.

Mr. Laz

A complete waste of calories and the sugar content is usually sky high. In many cases it costs about $2 to make a single glass of juice with the need for so much fruit.

where is your proof?/Silock

Dayze
02-12-2014, 08:27 PM
:banghead:You mean the Kool-aid that you're supposed to dump a cup of processed sugar into?

:p

...wait a minute. only a cup?

....I've made a horrible mistake.

Baby Lee
02-12-2014, 08:33 PM
have you tried Tazo's Mint Green Tea? Holy shit I love that stuff. I bought a big case of it a Costco, on a whim. Fell in love with it. Next time we went, I bought 2 cases. But since then, they haven't had it. I'll usually get a couple at the store though. Outstanding.

I've probably had every variety of Tazo, Itoen and Honest out there. At least every one offered at Whole Foods, that Organic Store off 470/291 and 70, or that occasionally makes it to Big Lots. Don't have a strong memory of Tazo's mint. I do like Honest Tea's First Nation Mint, though.

If I had to pick a favorite, it'd probably Itoen's toasted green tea, called Oi Ocha. It's so definitely tea, but the toasting of the tea leaves makes it different from any other tea you might get.

http://images.iherb.com/l/ITO-00139-3.jpg

Garcia Bronco
02-12-2014, 08:46 PM
It depends upon what you are trying to address...trying to get more vitamins/minerals in your diet probably a good thing.

Trying to cut calories for dietary....not so much....liquid calories are liquid calories(especially liquid simple sugars). What makes them the debbil is that they're so easy to drink a lot and not realize it(because you don't get the 'full' sensation like you do with solid foods).

This. I have no more than 4 ounces a day.

Baby Lee
02-12-2014, 08:47 PM
This. I have no more than 4 ounces a day.

He's talking about liquid sugars, not your liquid protein. ;)

Silock
02-12-2014, 08:54 PM
I haven't seen any concrete evidence that smoking crack every day is bad either

I already posted an article from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition doing a research review of HFCS. The evidence just isn't there. This article doesn't say if the diet was controlled for calories or if they just added extra juice to their existing diets. Both are huge factors.

Believe what you want, but avoiding fruit isn't going to make you healthy.

Silock
02-12-2014, 08:54 PM
where is your proof?/Silock

Don't be that guy.

Fire Me Boy!
02-12-2014, 09:01 PM

Yep. That's why the blender is better. You get the fiber and all that comes in the flesh too.

CrazyPhuD
02-12-2014, 09:04 PM

Nobody got fucking fat eating fruit or drinking fucking juice alone.

Actually the paper is saying that people got fatter(or at least expanded their waistlines) due to drinking ~16 oz of fruit juice a day.

In one scientific trial, for example, it was shown that, despite having a high antioxidant content, the consumption of half a litre of grape juice per day for three months actually increased insulin resistance and waist circumference in overweight adults.

Eating fruit is mostly different because they tend to be loaded with fiber which slows down the digestive process reducing the impact of the sugar rush/sugar crash that too much available simple sugars cause.

When you make juice from fruits you strip out all of that good fiber that delays digestion. What you are left with is a drink full of simple sugars with nothing to slow down absorption. Sugar water is Sugar water whether it came from a fruit or HFCS.

Fruit drinks may have some benefits from the vitamins/minerals but they are loaded with sugar.

Hell here's a welch's grape juice label.

http://www.quitehealthy.com/nutrition-facts/food-labels/labelL439621.gif

and here's the v8 label made from vegetables(I know neither is the best product but a decent example).

http://411nutrition.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/v8-nutrition-breakdown2.jpg

CrazyPhuD
02-12-2014, 09:14 PM
I already posted an article from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition doing a research review of HFCS. The evidence just isn't there. This article doesn't say if the diet was controlled for calories or if they just added extra juice to their existing diets. Both are huge factors.

Believe what you want, but avoiding fruit isn't going to make you healthy.

The point isn't about avoiding fruit....the point is if you start to have discussions about taxing sugary drinks you can't just write exceptions for sugary drinks that you like.

If governments feel like taxing sugary drinks to try to fight obesity fine...but you have to include other high sugar drinks too like fruit juices.

The science and frankly the logic is there that anything liquid that is LOADED with simple sugars is going to contribute to excess calorie consumption and insulin resistance. Fruits aren't magical that you can make them into a concentrated juice and you won't get fat no matter how much you drink.

Vegetable juices are worlds better than fruit juices because they aren't loaded with all the calories...even though vegetable juice....like fruit juice...is a poor substitute for actually eating the servings of fruits and vegetables you should have. The very processing to make juice(at least on a commercial level) rips out much of the health benefits of the base plant.

HonestChieffan
02-12-2014, 09:36 PM

That and 60 ounces of fruit juice will make you shit through a screen door. Beer much better.

J Diddy
02-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Shortly thereafter they released the belief that sex sometimes leads to babies.

BigRichard
02-12-2014, 09:53 PM
So what you are telling me is that if I intake more calories then I output then I get fat right? Thanks for the science there guys. JFC

Silock
02-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Actually the paper is saying that people got fatter(or at least expanded their waistlines) due to drinking ~16 oz of fruit juice a day.

Find me the paper. The article certainly implies that's what it said, but without the full study of what he was quoting, we're just playing a giant game of "Telephone" with regard to the content of the paper.

Fruit drinks may have some benefits from the vitamins/minerals but they are loaded with sugar.

So are a million other things. That's not the point.

The point isn't about avoiding fruit....the point is if you start to have discussions about taxing sugary drinks you can't just write exceptions for sugary drinks that you like.

I'm not. That's not at all what I said or what I'm getting at. I'm not making exceptions for anything. I'm simply saying that one thing isn't entirely bad nor is it really substantially different from the other in the long term.

The science and frankly the logic is there that anything liquid that is LOADED with simple sugars is going to contribute to excess calorie consumption and insulin resistance. Fruits aren't magical that you can make them into a concentrated juice and you won't get fat no matter how much you drink.

Key word: EXCESS calorie consumption.

This demonization of food and certain food groups is absofuckinglutely OUT OF CONTROL.

I'll post this again, simply because it needs to be read. Even though it's mainly focused on HFCS, there's a lot of good info about other sugars and carbohydrates, as well.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/6/1716S.full

There is room in a person's diet for anything they want to have, whether that's soda, ice cream, fruit juice, pixie sticks or orange marmalade. It's all about portion control and understanding how these foods fit in to the larger picture of one's diet. I have serious issues with how this article/thread is worded because it assumes that soda is inherently bad for you and if fruit juice is as bad as soda, then it's inherently bad, too. That's just not true.

Overconsumption is bad. That's the devil. It's not the X food/drink.

ghak99
02-12-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm constantly surprised by whatever label I read out of boredom when getting a glass of juice. I often end up wondering "was that really good for me" after slamming it like it's air and getting another glass because the first one did nothing for me.

Simple calorie math says it's not, but until recently I wasn't get much fruit any other way.:shrug:

J Diddy
02-12-2014, 10:10 PM
So what you are telling me is that if I intake more calories then I output then I get fat right? Thanks for the science there guys. JFC

You might be BigDick but I am Dick Bull.

Brock
02-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Fatasses who sit on their fat asses all day are fat because of sugar and fruit juice. /kooks

Buck
02-12-2014, 11:28 PM
Did they test purple drink?

Miles
02-12-2014, 11:33 PM
I've probably had every variety of Tazo, Itoen and Honest out there. At least every one offered at Whole Foods, that Organic Store off 470/291 and 70, or that occasionally makes it to Big Lots. Don't have a strong memory of Tazo's mint. I do like Honest Tea's First Nation Mint, though.

If I had to pick a favorite, it'd probably Itoen's toasted green tea, called Oi Ocha. It's so definitely tea, but the toasting of the tea leaves makes it different from any other tea you might get.

http://images.iherb.com/l/ITO-00139-3.jpg

There is some form of bottled Itoen at Costo. I buy their green tea bags there (branded as Kirkland) and make it hot or iced at work all the time.

BigRichard
02-13-2014, 05:32 AM
You might be BigDick but I am Dick Bull.

:LOL:

Jimmya
02-13-2014, 05:43 AM
Fat people love them some sugar!

ReynardMuldrake
02-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Key word: EXCESS calorie consumption.

This demonization of food and certain food groups is absofuckinglutely OUT OF CONTROL.

I'll post this again, simply because it needs to be read. Even though it's mainly focused on HFCS, there's a lot of good info about other sugars and carbohydrates, as well.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/6/1716S.full

There is room in a person's diet for anything they want to have, whether that's soda, ice cream, fruit juice, pixie sticks or orange marmalade. It's all about portion control and understanding how these foods fit in to the larger picture of one's diet. I have serious issues with how this article/thread is worded because it assumes that soda is inherently bad for you and if fruit juice is as bad as soda, then it's inherently bad, too. That's just not true.

Overconsumption is bad. That's the devil. It's not the X food/drink.

The idea that all calories are created equal is not true. You don't get type 2 diabetes from eating too much steak.

Different types of calories are metabolized differently. Sugar intake impacts your blood sugar, given enough time can cause insulin resistance, which is the fast track to obesity. Limiting the proportion of your sugar and carb intake absolutely has an effect on your health, even with calories being equal.

WhiteWhale
02-13-2014, 07:30 AM
BAN FRUIT JUICE!

Frankly the headline is dangerously misleading. Fruit juice is not an acid that eats away at your bones and imbalances the Ph of your entire body. Just because it has a lot of sugar does NOT mean it's 'just as bad for you' as flavored battery acid.

The 'study' gives no outlines of any controls done... was this thing funded by Pepsi?

Eleazar
02-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Obviously, nobody should drink copious amounts of sugar, but the thread title is really an obscene generalization. Soda has no redeeming qualities, while fruit juice has many beneficial ingredients.

Just Passin' By
02-13-2014, 07:40 AM
If you look hard enough, at some point you'll find that everything is bad for you. Drinking too much water can be fatal, for crying out loud.

Jimmya
02-13-2014, 07:53 AM
True...to much of anything is bad for you.

Fish
02-13-2014, 09:53 AM
The idea that all calories are created equal is not true. You don't get type 2 diabetes from eating too much steak.

Different types of calories are metabolized differently. Sugar intake impacts your blood sugar, given enough time can cause insulin resistance, which is the fast track to obesity. Limiting the proportion of your sugar and carb intake absolutely has an effect on your health, even with calories being equal.

There's really no such thing as different types of calories. A calorie is a unit of energy. 4.2 kjoules. Specifically, the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius. That never changes.

You can get calories from different things, like carbs, proteins, fat, etc. And each of those have different levels of Calories per gram, and the body uses each differently.

But there aren't different types of calories. The "Calories in, Calories out" is a really simplified expression that is far from accurate because of how the body gets Calories from different things. But it's not an unreasonable guide to follow if your diet is balanced. If you want real accuracy and understanding you'd have to look well beyond simple Calorie in, Calorie out. But it's still a decent starting point to keep a rough idea of your intake.

Silock
02-13-2014, 11:39 AM

No one said all macronutrients are the same. I don't think you read and understand the point I was making.

Some of you clearly don't read the part about excess calories. I even capitalized the keyword.

Also, while the insulin response of steak isn't as high as sugary foods, it does create quite a response. It's big enough that you could become insulin resistant if it were possible to eat enough steak to do so. Insulin is a storage hormone for many nutrients, not just carbohydrates.

Silock
02-13-2014, 11:40 AM
There's really no such thing as different types of calories. A calorie is a unit of energy. 4.2 kjoules. Specifically, the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius. That never changes.

You can get calories from different things, like carbs, proteins, fat, etc. And each of those have different levels of Calories per gram, and the body uses each differently.

But there aren't different types of calories. The "Calories in, Calories out" is a really simplified expression that is far from accurate because of how the body gets Calories from different things. But it's not an unreasonable guide to follow if your diet is balanced. If you want real accuracy and understanding you'd have to look well beyond simple Calorie in, Calorie out. But it's still a decent starting point to keep a rough idea of your intake.

The thing that people miss in the calories in and out debate is that as long as you aren't over your calorie expenditure in terms of what you take in, a normal person can eat anything they want and not worry about weight or insulin resistance or any of that stuff.

Sannyasi
02-13-2014, 11:52 AM
There is some form of bottled Itoen at Costo. I buy their green tea bags there (branded as Kirkland) and make it hot or iced at work all the time.

I've never tried the Kirkland because we don't have a Costco near me unfortunately. Instead I usually order Yamamotoyama green tea off of Amazon, tastes great and you can get 90 tea bags for $17. Definitely beats Bigelow or the other store brands I can get around here.

ReynardMuldrake
02-13-2014, 12:35 PM
The thing that people miss in the calories in and out debate is that as long as you aren't over your calorie expenditure in terms of what you take in, a normal person can eat anything they want and not worry about weight or insulin resistance or any of that stuff.

In my experience, that's simply not true. I followed that advice my entire life and never had any success. Whenever I tried losing weight by traditional methods, like portion control, calorie counting, eating a low-fat, multigrain, healthy diet, and daily exercise, I've never had any success. I might lose five pounds, but stall every time. And I was miserable. I finally switched to low-carb, no sugar diet in December and have lost about 30 lbs in 2 months so far. And that's with NO calorie counting and NO exercise. I just eat till I'm full. And I feel much happier.

I can't say how your body works, but speaking for myself, the composition of the food I eat makes all the difference in the world. I'm convinced that my sugar intake is the reason I've stayed fat all these years.

Silock
02-13-2014, 12:46 PM
In my experience, that's simply not true. I followed that advice my entire life and never had any success. Whenever I tried losing weight by traditional methods, like portion control, calorie counting, eating a low-fat, multigrain, healthy diet, and daily exercise, I've never had any success. I might lose five pounds, but stall every time. And I was miserable. I finally switched to low-carb, no sugar diet in December and have lost about 30 lbs in 2 months so far. And that's with NO calorie counting and NO exercise. I just eat till I'm full. And I feel much happier.

I can't say how your body works, but speaking for myself, the composition of the food I eat makes all the difference in the world. I'm convinced that my sugar intake is the reason I've stayed fat all these years.

It's because you're eating less calories. Proteins and fats are more difficult to eat in higher quantities. It has nothing to do with sugar. There are lots of studies that show the low carb high protein dieters to simply eat fewer calories even when allowed to ad lib their diets. I guarantee that if you were truly eating fewer calories than you burned, you would have lost weight, even if you only ate pixie sticks. Many people simply don't know how many calories hey really need and end up overestimating. I do think it's easier to lose weight on a low carb diet simply because it's more difficult to eat too much. It's still possible, though.

Rausch
02-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Obviously, nobody should drink copious amounts of sugar, but the thread title is really an obscene generalization. Soda has no redeeming qualities, while fruit juice has many beneficial ingredients.

THis.

While cranberry juice has a number of benefits it almost always comes drenched in sugar to improve the taste...

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
02-13-2014, 12:53 PM
I prefer sweets to juice. Juice got cut long ago.

Sannyasi
02-13-2014, 01:04 PM
I don't disagree with the article in practice, because I cut out fruit juice from my diet a long time ago, but it engages in such obvious hyperbole.

I guess they figured an article titled "Most Fruit Juices have a lot of Calories and you may want to be Careful about how much you Drink" wouldn't generate the number of clicks they were looking for.

Stewie
02-13-2014, 01:27 PM

But so damn expensive.

The Aldi fresh squeezed OJ is $2.39 for a half gallon. I can't tell the difference between it and the national brands. Plus, it lasts much longer than the concentrate stuff which starts to get a bitter funk pretty quickly.

I'm not a sweet tooth but I like my OJ with breakfast. I keep it to about a 1/2 cup serving.

RippedmyFlesh
02-13-2014, 03:43 PM
I was obese at 290 and had health issues. I started my diet with being very strict about liquids just water, coffee and tea.And had to stop drinking liquor which sucked. I didn't cut down that much on food and in a year went from 290 to 220. It was way easier to have will power over what I drank than what I ate.

ChiefRocka
02-13-2014, 03:48 PM
My daily drinkers are POM and Bolthouse carrot juice

RippedmyFlesh
02-13-2014, 03:54 PM

My Dr was all about cal in/out concerning weight but always added that the quality of the calories will determine how you feel. True if you use up all of calories for the day on snickers bars you won't gain more weight than an equal # of calories of healthy food. But you will prob feel like crap.