PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Nate Allen?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-13-2014, 09:14 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/2/13/5388660/nfl-free-agency-2014-nate-allen-kansas-city-chiefs

n case you live under a rock and missed the entire 2013 season and the subsequent chatter about it, the Kansas City Chiefs have an unbelievably pressing need for a free safety.

In this vein, the Chiefs now face an offseason full of potential players to sign, draft or trade for. With the draft holding two marquee safety prospects in Hasean Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor that may, or may not, get to them at No. 23, free agency is a very viable avenue.

Enter Nate Allen, four-year free safety of the Philadelphia Eagles out of South Florida. Allen's rookie contract is now up, and it is unclear whether Philadelphia has him in its long-term plans. At only 26 years old, it figures Allen's best days are rapidly approaching, making this the right time to buy some stock.

Allen has quietly gotten better in each of his seasons with the Eagles. His tackle totals have risen from 48 to 59, then 73 to 82 respectively. While he only has six interceptions in his career, all indications and tape I've seen point to him being a solid tackler with good range, instincts and cover skills.

Over at Bleeding Green Nation, here is what writer Brandon Lee Gowton had to say about Allen's ability:

Allen was hardly a play-maker in his fourth season but he played consistently solid after a real rough start to the year. Allen wasn't shy to note he didn't miss playing behind the Eagles former defensive line front, the Wide-Nine. Allen's role in Bill Davis' defense is much simpler and it made his job a lot easier. The result was a solid performance from Allen. Allen held his own in coverage and tackled really well.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal for Kansas City. Sure, everybody would love a Pro Bowl player at every spot, but the reality is that can't happen under the current salary cap. In a perfect world, the Chiefs could snag either Pryor or Clinton-Dix in the draft and watch them blossom into Ed Reed.

Of course, the NFL is not a perfect world. Allen would likely come at a relatively low cost and be the quiet man of the secondary. In my eyes, that is exactly what the Chiefs need. They don't need another All-Pro (although that would be terrific), they just need a guy who is solid, accountable, aware and on point.

Allen also played behind lousy fronts in Philadelphia most of his career. Surrounded by a boatload of talent, Allen could really develop.

With the Chiefs' cap situation, general manager John Dorsey would be wise to look for some of the hidden gems even more than last year. Allen could be the perfect fit at the perfect price.

htismaqe
02-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Yes.

Throw numbers at it, just like the CB situation last year. You got a potential long-term starter in Cooper, a roster spot in Smith, and cut in Robinson.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-13-2014, 10:21 AM
I do not think I could take a decade of some douche named Ha ha so yeah get him

The Franchise
02-13-2014, 10:24 AM
I have a feeling that any FA safety we sign is going to be meh. Maybe someone like Nate Allen. Then Allen and Commings battle for the starting spot.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
02-13-2014, 11:13 AM
he's been up and down. I wouldn't be upset by it.

O.city
02-13-2014, 11:15 AM
As much as we all would love Byrd at FS, fact is, we just need solid fundamental play back there.

Like we saw this year, when solid fundamental play was inserted at the QB position, what could happen, the same could potentially happen with the defense.

Clemons, Allen etc would do that very nicely.

The Franchise
02-13-2014, 11:17 AM
As much as we all would love Byrd at FS, fact is, we just need solid fundamental play back there.

Like we saw this year, when solid fundamental play was inserted at the QB position, what could happen, the same could potentially happen with the defense.

I'd be happy with Clemons but I'm not sure Miami lets him go. They have been a sieve when it comes to FAs in their defensive backfield. They eventually have to start paying to keep them.

O.city
02-13-2014, 11:18 AM
I'd be happy with Clemons but I'm not sure Miami lets him go. They have been a sieve when it comes to FAs in their defensive backfield. They eventually have to start paying to keep them.

They also have Grimes due for a deal, from what i've read, it's either or there.

saphojunkie
02-13-2014, 11:19 AM

Yeah, I just don't see us committing $18M a year to the two safety positions.

Restructure Berry and bring in Nate Allen, who can be at least solid. I mean, ANY kind of legit safety play and this defense is better.

The Franchise
02-13-2014, 11:20 AM
They also have Grimes due for a deal, from what i've read, it's either or there.

Well it's hard to say what they'll do considering the new GM there. They NEED pass protection for Tannehill and Grimes doesn't want to be slapped with the FT. I don't know how generous with the money their new GM will be.

O.city
02-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Well it's hard to say what they'll do considering the new GM there. They NEED pass protection for Tannehill and Grimes doesn't want to be slapped with the FT. I don't know how generous with the money their new GM will be.

Yep. They're probably paying a LT, and I would hope they'd sign Grimes, but he's a little older.

Clemons would actually be my first choice for a FS over Ward or Byrd anyway.

Rausch
02-13-2014, 11:33 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/2/13/5388660/nfl-free-agency-2014-nate-allen-kansas-city-chiefs

n case you live under a rock and missed the entire 2013 season and the subsequent chatter about it, the Kansas City Chiefs have an unbelievably pressing need for a free safety.

In this vein, the Chiefs now face an offseason full of potential players to sign, draft or trade for. With the draft holding two marquee safety prospects in Hasean Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor that may, or may not, get to them at No. 23, free agency is a very viable avenue.

Enter Nate Allen, four-year free safety of the Philadelphia Eagles out of South Florida.

No...

nbarone007
02-13-2014, 11:45 AM
New poster here.

We don't have the money to sign the top tier free agents but I think he would be an upgrade over Lewis.

You can't have a pro bowler at every position. Allen is an average player who still can improve.

mcaj22
02-13-2014, 12:18 PM
yea lets sign a safety from a pass defense that was just as shitty, if not worse than ours. Worked last year plucking a CB from the swiss cheese Falcons defense, why not the Eagles.

Rausch
02-13-2014, 12:22 PM
Byrd.../conversation

T-post Tom
02-13-2014, 12:58 PM
I'd prefer Clemons/Byrd vs. Allen/draft pick. Not much hope in Allen/Commings for me. Commings is a big ? & Allen is 'just-a-guy'.

Rausch
02-13-2014, 01:01 PM
I'd prefer Clemons/Byrd vs. Allen/draft pick. Not much hope in Allen/Commings for me. Commings is a big ? & Allen is 'just-a-guy'.

Byrd/Retain Abdullah.

Draft OL and a pass rushing OLB...

ct
02-13-2014, 03:25 PM
I cant in any way see KC signing byrd

This seems like an organization that will draft for stars and only sign FA role players. Also feel last year was an 'overspend' just to get us back to respective competitive levels. We were really bad off in so many spots!! CB, TE, WR2, and yea even QB(leading to overspend on trade), drastic measures were taken with Smith, Robinson, Avery, Fasano that I do not see repeating.

Fully expecting small role player FA fills, with WR/FS being top draft targets. I don't see FS being a FA spend, they already brought in Demps/Abdullah last year for S depth, and drafted Commings. Seems to me this FO will draft and groom and spot start the stop gaps if needed.

Jakemall
02-13-2014, 03:29 PM
I would like the Nate Allen signing...I mentioned him a while back and was kinda blown off. With Detroit making the move they just did, Louis Delmas has possiblities as well.

Fat Elvis
02-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Byrd.../conversation

Not happening.

htismaqe
02-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Jarius Byrd is not coming to KC. Definition of pipe dream.

BossChief
02-14-2014, 12:51 AM
If we could come out of free agency with 2 safeties, I'd' be happy.

Something like Abdullah and Bethea/Delmas/Allen would really strengthen the position.

Simply Red
02-14-2014, 05:28 AM
New poster here.

it's 'n00b,' n00b!

Simply Red
02-14-2014, 05:33 AM
Get it done CHunt.

UK_Chief
02-14-2014, 05:36 AM
A crash test dummy would be better than Lewis...

milkman
02-15-2014, 05:08 PM
I'd rather sign Malcolm Jenkins.

Really talented kid that hasn't played to his potential.

Still time to harvest that potential, and even if he doesn't reach it, he's still already a shit ton better than Lewis.

Mav
02-15-2014, 05:11 PM
I'd rather sign Malcolm Jenkins.

Really talented kid that hasn't played to his potential.

Still time to harvest that potential, and even if he doesn't reach it, he's still already a shit ton better than Lewis.

I would prefer this move. Nate Allen had a very productive rookie season. And since then. Injuries, and substandard play, this year culminating with him getting beat out by Earl Wolff.

He is in the Delmas group for me. A guy who just cant stay healthy.

Malcom Jenkins would probably be the best idea honestly.

If not him, a close second to me, would be Donte Whitner.

jonzie04
02-15-2014, 07:33 PM
one of two things HAS to happen.

1. Sutton changes the game plan to a more conventional defense, and we don't need to have a bad ass MF at FS. a guy like nate allen would be fine in this role.

2. they sign, or draft a BAMF at fs, because it is an absolute necessity in a cover 1 defense. would you really trust nate to roam the back of the field alone?

Rain Man
02-15-2014, 07:52 PM
He ran right by him! They needed a touchdown, and he just stood there flatfooted and let the guy run right by him! How does that happen with a professional athlete? How?!?!

Sorry. Just had a flashback.