PDA

View Full Version : Misc vacation thoughts

taterhog
02-13-2014, 05:14 PM
My wife and I are thinking about taking a nice vacation in the next couple of years. We've been looking at places, and have narrowed our focus to Bora Bora at this point.

So my question is for anybody who has been there. Is it worth the additional expense when compared to other locations? If we went, we would go with one of the above water bungalows, Le Meridien, Four Seasons, etc...

What are the hidden costs? How much are meals in general? Excursions? etc?

Any and all ideas/feedback are welcome.

ThaVirus
02-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Take me with you.

TimBone
02-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Bring ThaVirus.

Big Poppa Payne
02-13-2014, 05:21 PM
You'll have to hold his dick the entire trip, it's very tiring.

taterhog
02-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Perhaps he should be asking Michael Sam to take him instead of me?

Donger
02-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Not to hijack, but has anyone here been to St. Thomas (USVI)? We're going for a few weeks coming up, and I've never been there before.

taterhog
02-13-2014, 05:31 PM
Hijack!!! j/k

Wife was there, actually she had less than stellar experiences at a couple of the islands around there. That's why we are looking at south pacific instead for a big trip.

Donger
02-13-2014, 05:34 PM
Hijack!!! j/k

Wife was there, actually she had less than stellar experiences at a couple of the islands around there. That's why we are looking at south pacific instead for a big trip.

Ugh, like what? Not on St. Thomas though, right?

Eureka
02-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Not to hijack, but has anyone here been to St. Thomas (USVI)? We're going for a few weeks coming up, and I've never been there before.

Nice place & people are friendly. Road a scooter around the island and it took 30 min maybe (kinda fun since they drive on the other side of the road). Visted Megan's bay which has clear warm water.

One of the better islands around that area in my opinion.

taterhog
02-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Ugh, like what? Not on St. Thomas though, right?

Her and her ex-husband went down there. She just thought a lot of the staff down there were kind of rude, some of the stuff was dirty...just not what she expected out of a resort. And she's not one to really complain.

I think overall, it wasn't horrible. I just don't think it met her expectations. Scenery-wise, it was beautiful and as far as that stuff goes, she says she really liked it. But she also said she didn't want to go back, and would much rather go somewhere else even if it cost us more.

Donger
02-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Nice place & people are friendly. Road a scooter around the island and it took 30 min maybe (kinda fun since they drive on the other side of the road). Visted Megan's bay which has clear warm water.

One of the better islands around that area in my opinion.

Thanks. We are staying on Peterborg, which overlooks Magen's Bay.

We usually go to Grand Cayman, but the wife wanted to go somewhere new. I hope it works out.

Donger
02-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Her and her ex-husband went down there. She just thought a lot of the staff down there were kind of rude, some of the stuff was dirty...just not what she expected out of a resort. And she's not one to really complain.

I think overall, it wasn't horrible. I just don't think it met her expectations. Scenery-wise, it was beautiful and as far as that stuff goes, she says she really liked it. But she also said she didn't want to go back, and would much rather go somewhere else even if it cost us more.

Thanks. Good luck on your journey.

ChiefGator
02-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Go to St. John from St. Thomas. It is a 20 minute ferry ride (one leaves from the Charlotte Amalie and another from Redhook). St. John is very very cool.

I was just there three weeks ago actually.

Rain Man
02-13-2014, 06:57 PM
I haven't been to Tahiti but would really like to go at some point.

I'll throw in that if you want someplace really exotic, I went to the Ile St. Marie in Madagascar a few years back. It's a former French colony and we stayed at an over-the-water resort that looks just like Tahiti, but it's like Tahiti in the 1950s. We'd walk to town through palm frond villages and would watch the villagers hunting for shrimp at night. We ate really good food and got lobster and stuff really cheap. I suspect that the lodging is a lot cheaper than Tahiti for something similar (but probably more basic in amenities), though the airfare may be high enough that it's a wash in total cost.

bevischief
02-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Who are you?

Boise_Chief
02-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Just got back from Cancun. We stayed at a gourmet inclusive resort and I highly recommend paying more for a better inclusive resort. Stayed for a week and had a great time. The meals were outstanding at almost every place we ate.

We stayed at the Eldorado Royale Spa resort. If anyone has plans for Cancun in the future.

King_Chief_Fan
02-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Just got back from Cancun. We stayed at a gourmet inclusive resort and I highly recommend paying more for a better inclusive resort. Stayed for a week and had a great time. The meals were outstanding at almost every place we ate.

We stayed at the Eldorado Royale Spa resort. If anyone has plans for Cancun in the future.

Heading to Riveria Maya on the 28th...staying at Secrets Meroma Beach...all inclusive
will be there for 7 days

HonestChieffan
02-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Bora Bora was one of our all time favs Do it. You won't find many people who even know where it is. Go for lands sakes go. We would suggest add a week.

Boise_Chief
02-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Heading to Riveria Maya on the 28th...staying at Secrets Meroma Beach...all inclusive
will be there for 7 days

Have a great time, Just know you are going to gain 10 pounds. You are still a little early for fishing but I went out and had a great time. Scuba on the reef was great too.

scho63
02-13-2014, 07:38 PM
My wife and I are thinking about taking a nice vacation in the next couple of years. We've been looking at places, and have narrowed our focus to Bora Bora at this point.

So my question is for anybody who has been there. Is it worth the additional expense when compared to other locations? If we went, we would go with one of the above water bungalows, Le Meridien, Four Seasons, etc...

What are the hidden costs? How much are meals in general? Excursions? etc?

Any and all ideas/feedback are welcome.

I was in Bora Bora for two weeks in January 1986, leaving the day the Challenger Space Shuttle exploded as I sat in the bar having my final drinks during a mild rain storm. I remember it vividly. The hotel I stayed at was the Oa Oa run by a nice couple from California. They sold it years later to a high end developer and I think there is now over-water bungalows there.

What I can tell you:
It's a LONG trip to get there. You first fly from the US to Tahiti, then you wait for a puddle jumper to take you to a landing strip in the ocean next to Bora Bora. The airstrip was built by the US back in the 40's or 50's. Once you land, you then get on a shuttle boat that takes you to the landing dock, where a shuttle van will take you to your hotel.

I think it took me 24 hours door-to-door from the East Coast

The island is well protected with many bays and great diving/snorkeling. You will see octopus, turtles, sharks, and lobsters to name a few.

It it nice to bike around the island.

You want to eat and drink at Bloody Mary's, an institution on Bora Bora and you may run into a celebrity there.

They have land crabs all over that sometimes try to get into your room but you should be safe if you go the overwater route.

It is VERY expensive there.

Hinano Beer is really good and you should drink plenty-it's made in Tahiti

You can take day trips to Moorea or other islands but I think it adds little value.

Go on a shark feeding or dive with the sharks

You will really relax there

It will be very romantic with the two of you in paradise

All the food was great because it draws in many French chefs or french trained.

You will love it :thumb:

Mr. Flopnuts
02-13-2014, 07:40 PM

That place is pristine isn't it? I've never been there, but I work in the resort industry, and that is a place the wife and I plan on traveling too. Was the food that much better? I'm curious, because I have access to all the resorts in the world at no cost, other than the all inclusive costs. I'm curious if the gourmet inclusive is worth the extra bucks.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-13-2014, 07:42 PM
will be there for 7 days

The Secrets resort is pretty bad ass. Do you have the swim out balcony?

Bugeater
02-13-2014, 07:48 PM
If you and the wife are into fucking I'd suggest the Sochi Olympic Village.

WilliamTheIrish
02-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Listen to HonestChief. Go. Book it for 2weeks. I'm in Maui for 7 days and while this a paradise, I know that Bora Bora is THE paradise.

Rain Man
02-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Who are you?

Ooh, ooh. Ooh, ooh.

Joe Seahawk
02-13-2014, 09:50 PM
My Wife and I and 3 other couples are going to charter a Catamaran in The BVI in November, we were able to reserve the moorings 4800 Cat.

This will be a blast!

http://www.moorings.com/charter-fleet/moorings-4800-4-cabin-catamaran

The Poz
02-13-2014, 10:01 PM

We stayed at the El Dorado Royale about 11 years ago and we loved it! Best all-inclusive I've been to. 5 stars and well worth the cost. Had no complaints.
Wasn't too crowded, no kids, and yes, the food was superb.

Simply Red
02-13-2014, 10:04 PM
My Wife and I and 3 other couples are going to charter a Catamaran in The BVI in November, we were able to reserve the moorings 4800 Cat.

This will be a blast!

http://www.moorings.com/charter-fleet/moorings-4800-4-cabin-catamaran

you've had quite the year I am totally jelly.

DaKCMan AP
02-14-2014, 07:04 AM

Several times.

Dayze
02-14-2014, 08:33 AM
my wife and I are hoping to do a 5 day 150+ mile rafting trip down the Colorado river/grand canyon. There are a lot of places along the trip that are only accessbile by river.

It's rather expensive though. I think like $2200/person (not including air fair). but they supply everything. tents, sleeping bags, food etc. they cook all the meals etc.

Simply Red
02-14-2014, 08:43 AM
Several times.

How about Pussy-Heaven?

Why Not?
02-14-2014, 08:51 AM
my wife and I are hoping to do a 5 day 150+ mile rafting trip down the Colorado river/grand canyon. There are a lot of places along the trip that are only accessbile by river.

It's rather expensive though. I think like $2200/person (not including air fair). but they supply everything. tents, sleeping bags, food etc. they cook all the meals etc.

A good friend and his wife and his brother and wife did that trip a few years ago. Said it was one of the best experiences of his life. She loved it to.

Dayze
02-14-2014, 08:56 AM
A good friend and his wife and his brother and wife did that trip a few years ago. Said it was one of the best experiences of his life. She loved it to.

Yeah, I can imagine. We requested information off of the site, and it came with a book, info, and a DVD of it. wow.

I can't believe there are so many places that have only been accessed by the river. I imagine the trip would put a lot of things into perspective.

we either want to do that, or an Alaskan cruise (me, more so than the wife)....but after being at sea for so long, I'm not sure I want to get back on it even if it is a cruise lol

taterhog
02-14-2014, 09:13 AM
I was in Bora Bora for two weeks in January 1986, leaving the day the Challenger Space Shuttle exploded as I sat in the bar having my final drinks during a mild rain storm. I remember it vividly. The hotel I stayed at was the Oa Oa run by a nice couple from California. They sold it years later to a high end developer and I think there is now over-water bungalows there.

What I can tell you:
It's a LONG trip to get there. You first fly from the US to Tahiti, then you wait for a puddle jumper to take you to a landing strip in the ocean next to Bora Bora. The airstrip was built by the US back in the 40's or 50's. Once you land, you then get on a shuttle boat that takes you to the landing dock, where a shuttle van will take you to your hotel.

I think it took me 24 hours door-to-door from the East Coast

The island is well protected with many bays and great diving/snorkeling. You will see octopus, turtles, sharks, and lobsters to name a few.

It it nice to bike around the island.

You want to eat and drink at Bloody Mary's, an institution on Bora Bora and you may run into a celebrity there.

They have land crabs all over that sometimes try to get into your room but you should be safe if you go the overwater route.

It is VERY expensive there.

Hinano Beer is really good and you should drink plenty-it's made in Tahiti

You can take day trips to Moorea or other islands but I think it adds little value.

Go on a shark feeding or dive with the sharks

You will really relax there

It will be very romantic with the two of you in paradise

All the food was great because it draws in many French chefs or french trained.

You will love it :thumb:

Awesome info.

Yeah, I was looking and I think the quickest flight from KC to Papeete was just under 23 hours, but that included layover at LAX. Then another layover in Papeete before the puddle jumper. I didn't look that close as to how long the layovers are.

I've tried to do a little homework on it, and the scuba on the south end of the lagoon with the lemon and blacktips look like one of those things that would probably scare the hell out of me, but I couldn't say no to. My buddy is getting scuba certified in a couple months, the wife and I may do it too so we can do this.

I heard about Bloody Mary's as well. From what I've gathered, all of the main hotels have really good eats too. I looked at a package that was for the Four Seasons, but meals are projected at $100/plate? That seemed kind of high, but I get it being one of the high end destinations. I wonder if all restaurants are in that price range, or if there is a more reasonable, but yet good places.

Is it best to bike to locations, or get a jet ski?

Can you recommend anything about Bora Bora that wouldn't necessarily be in the brochures?

seaofred
02-14-2014, 09:17 AM
The wife and I are really thinking about doing a Sandals St. Lucia trip. Anyone ever been? Or gone on a Sandals vacay?

Simply Red
02-14-2014, 09:29 AM
I'd like to highly recommend Pussy Heaven as a spot to check out.

Why Not?
02-14-2014, 09:43 AM

Love to go but my wife isn't into it for some reason. She would rather go to some beach or something lame.

Dayze
02-14-2014, 09:45 AM

I heard it's hard to find.

King_Chief_Fan
02-14-2014, 11:55 AM
The Secrets resort is pretty bad ass. Do you have the swim out balcony?

we were there about 4-5 years ago...had the swim up then. IT was nice but we preferred to be where the action was most of the time.

We have ocean front this time...can't wait