PDA

View Full Version : Football Suggs, Ravens agree to terms on contract extension

Mr. Laz
02-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Terrell Suggs, Ravens agree to terms on contract

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: Feb. 16, 2014 at 09:05 p.m. Updated: Feb. 16, 2014 at 09:13 p.m.

The famed Baltimore Ravens defense said goodbye to a pair of former Defensive Player of the Year winners after their Super Bowl season. They won't continue the trend in 2014.

2014 free-agent roundup

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday that the Ravens and Terrell Suggs have agreed to terms on a contract extension, according to a source informed of the deal. The team has already announced a news conference for Monday, when the contract will officially be signed.

This quickly resolves one of Baltimore's most pressing offseason questions. Suggs' $12.4 million cap figure was too much for a pass rusher that struggled down the stretch last year, and he was amenable to re-working his deal. NFL Media's Albert Breer reports that "multiple years" will be added to his existing deal and lower his cap figure.

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome sent a message to Suggs after the season, making it clear that Suggs wouldn't be back under the terms of his old deal. The two sides were able to find common ground, which should keep Suggs and Elvis Dumervil as the team's primary pass rushers.

Both Dumervil and Suggs are over 30, so Newsome will still be looking for some young blood to inject into the mix. Suggs was strong against the run in 2013, especially early in the season, but he was missing his normal pass-rush explosiveness in his first full campaign back from a torn Achilles tendon.

This move could open up cap space to re-sign offensive tackle Eugene Monroe and use the franchise tag on tight end Dennis Pitta. Even though the Ravens pass rush was lagging last season, the offense is the team's far bigger concern.

On the latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast," the guys debate Joe Philbin's future in Miami before playing another round of "Win Wess' Toaster."

Sofa King
02-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Baltimore can go fist themselves.

LoneWolf
02-16-2014, 08:54 PM

I want to fist your avatar.

chiefzilla1501
02-16-2014, 08:55 PM
The big winner is Suggs. The Ravens only win because they get more money to spend today, but they are essentially now forced to pay Suggs past his prime rather than just ripping the band aid off in one pull.

Simply Red
02-16-2014, 09:11 PM

http://i.imgur.com/FWaeWXr.gif

O.city
02-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Made him a raven for life I guess

Mav
02-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Semantics really. Extended the deal, front loaded the deal, he will never see the end of the deal. Besides, with having Upshaw, he is probably a year from being gone anyways.

penguinz
02-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Good for them. Why is this even a post here?

Titty Meat
02-17-2014, 01:39 AM

Because its a football board?

loochy
02-17-2014, 06:07 AM

I know, right? This post does not contain any information about someone announcing their gaayness.

Jimmya
02-17-2014, 06:17 AM
Front loaded for sure... But he won't play for any other teams.

Hammock Parties
02-17-2014, 06:18 AM
And that's how real organizations get it done.

Direckshun
02-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Maybe this sets a precedent for Hali.

We'll give you three more years at "twilight years" compensation tacked on at the end of your current deal, if you lower your cap number by about $3m or $4m.

chiefzilla1501
02-17-2014, 06:38 AM
Maybe this sets a precedent for Hali.

We'll give you three more years at "twilight years" compensation tacked on at the end of your current deal, if you lower your cap number by about $3m or $4m.

It can do that. But my guess is that the Ravens are going to be overpaying Suggs in his twilight years with no flexibility to cut him. Maybe that's okay, because the Chiefs' cap situation is a hell of a lot more manageable in 2016. But I'd rather get expensive veterans on a decline off the books rather than credit card their contract where we pay less today but owe more in the future when we don't need him as much.

Berry is a natural fit for an extension because you want him to stick around. I'm not convinced that after this season, we may start to see some things in Hali's play where we question if we even want to keep him next year at that mega base salary.

Direckshun
02-17-2014, 06:58 AM
My guess continues to be that Hali and Flowers are in their last years as Chiefs.

All the more reason to bring in a combo of Dee Ford in the first and Pierre Desir in the 3rd of the draft.

BlackHelicopters
02-17-2014, 07:49 AM
Please use the whole fist.