PDA

View Full Version : News Amber Alert in Springfield

Pages : [1] 2

Mr. Laz
02-18-2014, 10:18 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/3468111563/7e073e038071a9d289ed9de703cac980_bigger.jpeg FOX 4 NewsVerified account ‏<s>@</s>fox4kc (https://twitter.com/fox4kc)
Incident
<small style="font-size: 17.5px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1; color: #999999;">Date: 2/18/2014 16:48</small>

This is an Amber Alert, the Springfield Missouri Police Department has issued an Amber Alert that occured at 3247 west Lombard at 4:48 pm on 02/18/14. Abducted was Hailey Owens a white female 10 years old. The suspect vehicle is a gold 2008 Ford Ranger Missouri registration 1YF454. The vehicle was last seen southbound on Scenic from Grand in Springfield, Missouri. The suspect is a white male, no further description is available. The victim, Hailey M. Owens is a white female 10 years old, 5 foot 2 inches tall, weighing 90 pounds with long brown hair, brown eyes and pierced ears. Owens was last seen wearing blue jean shorts and purple sandals.. . Please Contact Springfield Police Department at 417-864-1810

<table id="location-details" class="table table-hover" style="max-width: 100%; background-color: #f2f2f2; border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px; width: 870px; margin-bottom: 20px; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.247059) 0px -3px 10px; color: #333333; font-family: 'helvetica neue', helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px;"><tbody><tr style="background-color: #ffffff;"><th style="padding: 8px; vertical-align: top; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: #dddddd;">Address 1</th><td style="padding: 8px; vertical-align: top; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: #dddddd;">3247 W. Lombard</td></tr><tr style="background-color: #ffffff;"><th style="padding: 8px; vertical-align: top; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: #dddddd;">City</th><td style="padding: 8px; vertical-align: top; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: #dddddd;">Springfield</td></tr><tr style="background-color: #ffffff;"><th style="padding: 8px; vertical-align: top; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: #dddddd;">State</th><td style="padding: 8px; vertical-align: top; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: #dddddd;">MO</td></tr></tbody></table>

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgzdZNICYAA0iKL.jpg
(https://twitter.com/fox4kc/status/435966689239265280/photo/1/large)

Big Poppa Payne
02-18-2014, 10:23 PM
What the fuck is wrong with people? This makes me sick to my stomach.

Pants
02-18-2014, 10:28 PM
I hope they find her unharmed. :(

-King-
02-18-2014, 10:32 PM
I know this is fucked up to say, but Amber Alert is pretty shitty. It just ends up annoying people more than it helps. Sending 500 text messages an hour does nothing to help the situation IMO. It just makes people talk about getting annoying texts instead of talking about the missing child.

Saulbadguy
02-18-2014, 10:47 PM
I know this is fucked up to say, but Amber Alert is pretty shitty. It just ends up annoying people more than it helps. Sending 500 text messages an hour does nothing to help the situation IMO. It just makes people talk about getting annoying texts instead of talking about the missing child.

Yea, this is the first time I've ever gotten an alert sent to my phone. The alerts took over TV too, changing the channel wasn't an option.

LiL stumppy
02-19-2014, 01:06 AM
got the message on my phone. posted it on fb as well. said he may be headed to ash grove. hope they find her unharmed

Mojo Jojo
02-19-2014, 01:12 AM
They have found the guy and the truck, but the girl is still missing.

LiL stumppy
02-19-2014, 01:26 AM
man i really hope they found him in time

Lex Luthor
02-19-2014, 01:29 AM
I know this is ****ed up to say, but Amber Alert is pretty shitty. It just ends up annoying people more than it helps. Sending 500 text messages an hour does nothing to help the situation IMO. It just makes people talk about getting annoying texts instead of talking about the missing child.

JFC. If it were your daughter, you'd want the authorities to do everything they possibly can to save her life. So you got annoyed? Boo fucking hoo.

Selfish prick.

Lex Luthor
02-19-2014, 01:31 AM

That doesn't bode well for her.

-King-
02-19-2014, 01:39 AM
JFC. If it were your daughter, you'd want the authorities to do everything they possibly can to save her life. So you got annoyed? Boo fucking hoo.

Selfish prick.

How am I being selfish? Annoying people is detrimental to what they're trying to do. When you have more people talking about getting text messages every minute rather than the content of the text message, there's a problem. Add to the fact that the ringtone for it is a siren and you have a recipe not for alertness, but for annoyance.

jonzie04
02-19-2014, 02:04 AM
How am I being selfish? Annoying people is detrimental to what they're trying to do. When you have more people talking about getting text messages every minute rather than the content of the text message, there's a problem. Add to the fact that the ringtone for it is a siren and you have a recipe not for alertness, but for annoyance.

holy shit, you seem very detached from humanity and reality. do you work in a morgue or something? I live in springfield, and the amber alert was very upsetting to my coworkers.

Why Not?
02-19-2014, 02:05 AM

Here's where I hate our laws sometimes. Get this fucker in a cell and start cutting off parts until he talks.

SPchief
02-19-2014, 02:06 AM

Clearly it worked as it got tips on the truck that was in the alert.

-King-
02-19-2014, 02:08 AM
Clearly it worked as it got tips on the truck that was in the alert.

I never said that sending the texts was bad, I'm merely talking about the frequency of them.

kchero
02-19-2014, 02:19 AM
Here's where I hate our laws sometimes. Get this ****er in a cell and start cutting off parts until he talks.

Exactly, the guy has been identified by witnesses start beating on him till he breaks. People, like this have no souls, I pray this girl is okay.

J Diddy
02-19-2014, 02:28 AM
I never said that sending the texts was bad, I'm merely talking about the frequency of them.

Come on man. How inconvenient could it be? Serious stuff.

J Diddy
02-19-2014, 02:29 AM
Exactly, the guy has been identified by witnesses start beating on him till he breaks. People, like this have no souls, I pray this girl is okay.

Me too.

SPchief
02-19-2014, 03:07 AM

Sorry for the inconvenience?

Signed,
Hailey Owens :shrug:

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
02-19-2014, 03:46 AM

Can't you opt out of them?

LoneWolf
02-19-2014, 05:36 AM

If my son is ever abducted, I hope they send text messages to everyone every 30 seconds and run a continuous loop on everyone's television with the loud ass siren. I hope it annoys everyone to the point there are angry mobs in the streets looking for the abductor just to stop the messages.

Lex Luthor
02-19-2014, 05:39 AM
A little girl was snatched by a stranger. She may have been raped and murdered last night. and you're whining because YOU HAD TO TAKE YOUR PHONE OUT AND LOOK AT IT A COUPLE OF TIMES.

You obviously aren't a parent. If you were, you wouldn't be posting such stupid bullshit.

LoneWolf
02-19-2014, 05:43 AM
A little girl was snatched by a stranger. She may have been raped and murdered last night. and you're whining because YOU HAD TO TAKE YOUR PHONE OUT AND LOOK AT IT A COUPLE OF TIMES.

But the ringtone was a siren. A fucking cocksucking siren! It was annoying and really interrupted his game of Flappy Bird.

threebag
02-19-2014, 05:46 AM
I hope she is found and okay.

King...not so much

In58men
02-19-2014, 06:27 AM
I hope she is found and okay.

King...not so much

http://www.kmbz.com/pages/18415878.php?contentType=4&contentId=14733454

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/19/ynaqejug.jpg

Jimmya
02-19-2014, 06:30 AM
If it wasn't for all the liberals in this nation that dude would have already been taken care of.

ChiefRocka
02-19-2014, 06:32 AM
http://www.kmbz.com/pages/18415878.php?contentType=4&contentId=14733454

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/19/ynaqejug.jpg

Ugh. Public executions are warranted.

Lex Luthor
02-19-2014, 06:48 AM
If it wasn't for all the liberals in this nation that dude would have already been taken care of.
Actually, making a statement like that in a thread like this is pretty fucking inappropriate. And I'm a gun owner and a supporter of gun rights.

Saulbadguy
02-19-2014, 06:49 AM

You can disable the alerts, not sure about texts. I never got a text, just an alert.

Lex Luthor
02-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Ugh. Public executions are warranted.

Yes, and in the most painful way possible.

TambaBerry
02-19-2014, 06:56 AM
Sickening

kchero
02-19-2014, 07:30 AM
This is awful news, poor little girl and poor family.

Cephalic Trauma
02-19-2014, 07:37 AM
God fucking damnit. That is fucking sad. Fuck.

phisherman
02-19-2014, 07:38 AM

your and idiot

FRCDFED
02-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Terrible trajedy.

I agree with the sentiment of others. If my daughter were abducted I would hope that the Amber Alert would go continuously until she would be found unharmed. I too would want everyone to be annoyed by the loud siren noise until they chose to take up arms and help to locate the innocent victim.

Odd, when faced with a choice to take "action," some choose that to be "inaction" by turning off the alerts or just ignoring them. If there ever was a social media program that benefited society it is the Amber Alert System.

Prayers to the family of this little girl.

SAUTO
02-19-2014, 07:49 AM
If my son is ever abducted, I hope they send text messages to everyone every 30 seconds and run a continuous loop on everyone's television with the loud ass siren. I hope it annoys everyone to the point there are angry mobs in the streets looking for the abductor just to stop the messages.

this

MOhillbilly
02-19-2014, 08:08 AM
I knew this dude.

BlackHelicopters
02-19-2014, 08:14 AM
Very sad

Lzen
02-19-2014, 08:18 AM
I knew this dude.

And?

DMAC
02-19-2014, 08:24 AM
I knew this dude.

Really? Damn.

Was he a coach/teacher or something? That is the rumor.

tooge
02-19-2014, 08:24 AM
I wish I had ten minutes with that prick alone. Some electircal cables, a battery, some fire. this monster needs torture 5 times a day till he simply dies from it.

Dartgod
02-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Donger will be pleased to know that the witnesses that initially called 911 after the abduction were able to do so because they were sitting in their garage when it happened.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20140219/NEWS01/302190051/Suspect-custody-search-continues-10-year-old-girl

Carlos Edwards told a News-Leader photographer he saw the girl grabbed as he and his wife sat in the garage of their home on West Lombard. He said the girl had been visiting with a friend on the street and lived nearby.

The suspect drove up and down the street several times before pulling up to the girl and asking her the question about Springfield to get her closer to the truck before grabbing her, Edwards said. He said the girl was pulled through the open driver’s side door, over the driver and placed in the passenger seat.

Police later said, “We don’t know where Hailey is. ...We don’t know if she knew this man. We don’t think that she does.” Police also said the girl’s mother “does not know who is in that truck.”

Describing his shock while recounting what he saw, Edwards said he tried to run after the truck as his wife got the license number and called 911.

He spoke with concern about the girl and surprise that the man had grabbed the girl right in front of him.

“I can’t believe he didn’t see us sitting here in the garage,” he said, explaining he heard the man talk to the girl.

Saulbadguy
02-19-2014, 08:35 AM
I think the alert system could use some fine tuning.

Logically, there was very little possibility that the abductor/abductee was in my area. However, we were spammed with alerts.

Perhaps the alerts could have a variable intensity - more frequent in the area surrounding, and then growing intensity after every hour passes, and the diameter of the alert broadcast widens by 80-100 miles.

And yes, there needs to be a way to opt out.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 08:41 AM
I think the alert system could use some fine tuning.

Logically, there was very little possibility that the abductor/abductee was in my area. However, we were spammed with alerts.

Perhaps the alerts could have a variable intensity - more frequent in the area surrounding, and then growing intensity after every hour passes, and the diameter of the alert broadcast widens by 80-100 miles.

And yes, there needs to be a way to opt out.

There is.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57597788-285/how-to-turn-off-emergency-alerts-on-your-phone/

R8RFAN
02-19-2014, 08:42 AM
This is on the National news, I heard it on the radio here in NC this morning... Praying all ends well for this precious baby

MIAdragon
02-19-2014, 08:44 AM
This is on the National news, I heard it on the radio here in NC this morning... Praying all ends well for this precious baby

See post 25

Radar Chief
02-19-2014, 08:45 AM
See post 25

Yea, sickening.

R8RFAN
02-19-2014, 08:47 AM
See post 25
Very sad, didn't read the whole thread
Had not heard that early this morning... Praying the Lord comforts this family in their time of need...

BlackHelicopters
02-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Prayers for this family.

R8RFAN
02-19-2014, 08:50 AM
Now after a long night at work, I get to go to bed with anger...

Saulbadguy
02-19-2014, 08:51 AM
There is.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57597788-285/how-to-turn-off-emergency-alerts-on-your-phone/

Yeah, I turned them off on my phone. You can't avoid them on television, though.

Why Not?
02-19-2014, 08:54 AM
So sad. Many prayers. Also sorry for the people inconvenienced by the Amber Alert. A child killer on the loose is no reason to bother people on a Tuesday afternoon. JFC.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 09:08 AM
Oh hell...the SOB already killed her? Incomprehensible...

Jerm
02-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Story really hits home for me...haven't put my baby girl down since waking up and seeing this. :(

What a sick son of a bitch...

MTG#10
02-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Hailey is my niece. Words cannot describe what I want to do tho this piece of shit right now.

oldandslow
02-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Guy was a teacher at a Middle School according to KY3.com.

This story is just gut wrenching...

wazu
02-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Hailey is my niece. Words cannot describe what I want to do tho this piece of shit right now.

Holy shit. I can't even imagine. Thoughts and prayers for your family.

Jerm
02-19-2014, 09:19 AM

So damn sorry man...my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Chiefshrink
02-19-2014, 09:20 AM
JFC. If it were your daughter, you'd want the authorities to do everything they possibly can to save her life. So you got annoyed? Boo ****ing hoo.

Selfish prick.

:clap:

02-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Guy was a teacher at a Middle School according to KY3.com.

This story is just gut wrenching...

Sick bastard

Lzen
02-19-2014, 09:21 AM
http://www.ky3.com/news/local/springfield-school-district-confirms-suspect-in-girls-disappearance-a-faculty-member-offers-support-to-students/21048998_24557844

Statement from Springfield Public Schools Superintendent Norm Ridder:
Last night we learned the terrible news that one of our students had been abducted near her home. This morning our sadness is compounded by the recent developments in the case of Hailey Owens' abduction.

The suspect in this case, Craig Michael Wood, was arrested by Springfield Police Department. Wood has been employed by SPS since Aug. 18, 1998. He works as a paraprofessional and athletic coach at Pleasant View K-8 School. His employment has been suspended until this matter is resolved.
Hailey is a student at Westport Elementary School and last year she attended Bowerman Elementary School.

I offer my support to Hailey's family and to our SPS community. Students and staff at three of our schools are coping with this situation. To support these school communities directly impacted by this tragedy, I have assigned additional counseling staff and school police officers to be on hand until further notice.

We are fully cooperating with law enforcement officials as their investigation continues. Because this is an ongoing investigation, I will not be making any further comments about the situation at this time.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 09:22 AM
And I have to take the unpopular position and side with King here...repeated alerts to people's cell phones is excessive, one notification of the situation is adequate. The purpose of it is to make people aware, not whip up everyone in every adjoining state into a frenzy. Otherwise you'll have people opting out and/or shutting off their phones which completely defeats the purpose.

I wasn't even aware that they sent alerts to cell phones, I've never gotten one on mine.

kchero
02-19-2014, 09:22 AM

I'm so sorry.

Pablo
02-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Fuck, that's sad.

What a shit situation.

Lzen
02-19-2014, 09:23 AM

Prayers for your family. :(

Lzen
02-19-2014, 09:24 AM
And I have to take the unpopular position and side with King here...repeated alerts to people's cell phones is excessive, one notification of the situation is adequate. The purpose of it is to make people aware, not whip up everyone in every adjoining state into a frenzy. Otherwise you'll have people opting out and/or shutting off their phones which completely defeats the purpose.

I wasn't even aware that they sent alerts to cell phones, I've never gotten one on mine.

I, too, didn't realize that as I've never received amber alerts on my phone.

-King-
02-19-2014, 09:28 AM

You obviously aren't a parent. If you were, you wouldn't be posting such stupid bullshit.

Yeah it sucks but that doesn't mean its okay to spam people's phone with it. Like I said there's nothing wilding with sending an alert a few times. There's just no reason I should have had twelve alerts between 6 and 7am this morning.
Posted via Mobile Device

philfree
02-19-2014, 09:30 AM

So very sorry and there's not a prayer that can help this. This happened pretty much right where I live and I'm pretty sure I've seen her before and I think the murderer too. So sad and so sickening.

gblowfish
02-19-2014, 09:34 AM
I just heard about this on the news driving to work this AM. Very sad, and especially sad if this poor girl was a family member of one of our own here on the CP.

Very sad day.

Bob Dole
02-19-2014, 09:35 AM

Unsubscribe

Lex Luthor
02-19-2014, 09:36 AM

I received either 2 or 3 alerts. Each alert took around 10 seconds out of my busy day.

Now I agree that the sending of alerts could certainly be overdone. I sure as hell wouldn't want to see an alert every time there's a parental dispute and the non-custodial parent runs off with his or her own child.

This was an entirely different situation. Sorry if it interrupted your favorite television show. And it's a real shame that King had to look at his phone a couple of times.

philfree
02-19-2014, 09:37 AM

Yeah the mentality of some people that post on what is Chiefs Planet.

Dave Lane
02-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Probably already been said but probably shot for TPing a house.

Big Poppa Payne

I can't even imagine what you're feeling right now, you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

tooge
who knows how it all went down, but if you are sitting in your garage and some freak grabs a kid in front of your house and takes off, aren't you driving after the SOB while the wife calls 911? If guy runs red lights and shit to get away from you, he's gonna get caught before he kills the girl. I'd feel pretty shitty if all I did was call 911 and found out about this.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 09:39 AM
I received either 2 or 3 alerts. Each alert took around 10 seconds out of my busy day.

Now I agree that the sending of alerts could certainly be overdone. I sure as hell wouldn't want to see an alert every time there's a parental dispute and the non-custodial parent runs off with his or her own child.

This was an entirely different situation. Sorry if it interrupted your favorite television show. And it's a real shame that King had to look at his phone a couple of times.
Fuck off, jackass.

oldandslow
02-19-2014, 09:43 AM
**** off, jackass.

Why...because he is right and you are ...well, whatever you are.

Why Not?
02-19-2014, 09:43 AM
who knows how it all went down, but if you are sitting in your garage and some freak grabs a kid in front of your house and takes off, aren't you driving after the SOB while the wife calls 911? If guy runs red lights and shit to get away from you, he's gonna get caught before he kills the girl. I'd feel pretty shitty if all I did was call 911 and found out about this.

My thoughts exactly

Lex Luthor
02-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Probably already been said but probably shot for TPing a house.

Political commentary and attempts at humor are fine in most threads. I think I'd refrain from both in a thread about the murder of a 10 year old girl who is a family member of a regular poster here.

Fish

Yeah, that struck me as really odd too.

greatgooglymoogly
SIAP: http://www.ky3.com/news/local/breaking-news-man-charged-with-murder-in-case-of-missing-springfield-girl/21048998_24555750

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -
Police worked a crime scene all night at 1538 E. Stanford St. as they investigated the kidnapping and murder of 10-year-old Hailey Owens. She was taken from the 3200 block of West Lombard Street as she walked from a friend's home to her home two blocks away late Tuesday afternoon.

At a news conference at 6:30 a.m., police would not confirm that they found Hailey's body but multiple news agencies report that fact, including that the family was told of her death. Early Wednesday morning, police parked a mobile Crime Scene vehicle at the home on Stanford. FBI agents are also at the scene.

Police arrested Craig Michael Wood on suspicion of first-degree murder. Police located Wood about 8:30 p.m. in his vehicle in his driveway at 1538 E. Stanford, where he lives. A search for Hailey then started in the area around Bennett Street at National Avenue, near Phelps Grove Park, the Springfield Art Museum and Mexican Villa restaurant. About 35 police officers were involved in the search, which resulted in the discovery of evidence of foul play in the case.

Wood is an in-school suspension teacher at Pleasant View Middle School.

Bugeater
Why...because he is right and you are ...well, whatever you are.
Because I live in reality and the rest of you live in some fantasy fucking world? That's fine by me.

TLO
Fuck

-King-
02-19-2014, 09:45 AM
If my son is ever abducted, I hope they send text messages to everyone every 30 seconds for run a continuous loop on everyone's television with the loud ass siren. I hope it annoys everyone to the point there are angry mobs in the streets looking for the abductor just to stop the messages.

What's more likely to happen? People get annoyed to the point they actually take action and go out and look for the abductor, or people get annoyed to the point they opt out of all future amber alerts?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 09:46 AM
What's more likely to happen? People get annoyed to the point they actually take action and go out and look for the abductor, or people get annoyed to the point they opt out of all future amber alerts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Give it up man, it's an exercise in futility around here.

Why Not?
02-19-2014, 09:46 AM
I'm sure there's a time to debate the efficiency and technique of Amber Alerts. I'm also sure that time is not on a thread chock full of parents and even the uncle(so sorry man)of a child that just got killed. Use a smidge of common decency sense.

oldandslow
02-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Because I live in reality and the rest of you live in some fantasy ****ing world? That's fine by me.

and what reality is that....Amber Alerts can save lives...that it takes 30 seconds of your day is really of no consequence to me.

-King-
02-19-2014, 09:50 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UYWqVd1.jpg (http://imgur.com/UYWqVd1)

Now keep in mind I deleted 1 or two of them in that time period.
Posted via Mobile Device

booger
02-19-2014, 09:55 AM
I can't even begin to fathom the feeling MTG...my thoughts are with you and the family

TLO
02-19-2014, 09:56 AM

Prayers sent for Hailey, you, and your family.

Lex Luthor
02-19-2014, 09:57 AM
**** off, jackass.

Posted via Mobile Device

You're obviously both a couple of self-indulgent selfish pricks who don't give a damn about anybody else. You can't be bothered for 10 ****ing seconds to look at your ****ing phones when a 10 year old girl is missing and there's a chance to save to save her life? JFC. It's not like this happens every day. Or every week. Or every month. Or every year.

I have a daughter, and I sympathise with any parent who has his daughter taken away and murdered. I think everybody should do everything possible to save a girl in a situation like that. That Amber Alert could have saved her life. It's sad that it didn't.

You're both really pretty shitty human beings if you can't understand that.

LoneWolf
02-19-2014, 09:58 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Big fucking deal. If they bother you after the first couple, turn the volume of your phone down. Of all the things to complain about you choose the frequency of alerts to create awareness of an abducted child.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 09:58 AM
and what reality is that....Amber Alerts can save lives...that it takes 30 seconds of your day is really of no consequence to me.
You're not even comprehending what is being said. Apparently your username is quite fitting.

Omaha
02-19-2014, 09:59 AM
I know this is ****ed up to say, but Amber Alert is pretty shitty. It just ends up annoying people more than it helps. Sending 500 text messages an hour does nothing to help the situation IMO. It just makes people talk about getting annoying texts instead of talking about the missing child.

I'm sure it made you aware of the situation, though. If everyone who gets the text just looks around a little bit, there's a decent chance someone will see the kid or the vehicle. If it were my kid, I'd expect everyone to help out so I don't mind getting texts in that situation.

kepp
02-19-2014, 09:59 AM

I don't have the words...prayers to your family.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Big fucking deal. If they bother you after the first couple, turn the volume of your phone down. Of all the things to complain about you choose the frequency of alerts to create awareness of an abducted child.
Yes, everyone in Kansas City should just give up use of their personal cell phones over this. That is entirely reasonable.

Saulbadguy
You're obviously both a couple of self-indulgent selfish pricks who don't give a damn about anybody else. You can't be bothered for 10 ****ing seconds to look at your ****ing phones when a 10 year old girl is missing and there's a chance to save to save her life? JFC. It's not like this happens every day. Or every week. Or every month. Or every year.

I have a daughter, and I sympathise with any parent who has his daughter taken away and murdered.

I believe your emotions are dictating your reaction, which is understandable.

However, I believe that the sentiment from the detractors of the system are critical of its effectiveness. I think that is open for debate.

-King-

I have a daughter, and I sympathise with any parent who has his daughter taken away and murdered. I think everybody should do everything possible to save a girl in a situation like that. That Amber Alert could have saved her life. It's sad that it didn't.

Who said I don't sympathize for them?

Its too bad you can't get your feelings out of the way to think rationally.
Posted via Mobile Device

TLO
02-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Yes, everyone in Kansas City should just give up use of their personal cell phones over this. That is entirely reasonable.

Did the alerts break your phone?

-King-
02-19-2014, 10:02 AM

Turning the volume down doesn't do anything. As you can see in my screenshot, my phone is on vibrate like it is 99.99% of the time. Yet the siren still sounds.
Posted via Mobile Device

LoneWolf
02-19-2014, 10:02 AM
You're not even comprehending what is being said. Apparently your username is quite fitting.

I get it. You and King are complaining that there were too many alerts sent out. Do you also complain when your drunken redneck friends send dozens of texts talking about how many Natty Lights ya'll pounded in the garage while talking about the numerous fat women you banged in high school?

Jimmya
02-19-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm OK with the alerts.

kepp
02-19-2014, 10:03 AM

Precisely what I was thinking. "I can't believe he didn't see us sitting in the garage." Well then F'ING CHASE HIM DOWN!! I don't know...maybe they're elderly or disabled or something and I'm jumping to conclusions, but it angered me to read that.

LoneWolf
02-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Turning the volume down doesn't do anything. As you can see in my screenshot, my phone is on vibrate like it is 99.99% of the time. Yet the siren still sounds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Get a better phone. My phone was on silent and the only reason I even noticed the alerts was because I looked at my phone to check my email. I saw tha Amber Alert on television.

LoneWolf
02-19-2014, 10:05 AM

Who said anything about giving up the use of your cell phone? You truly are one stupid bastard.

philfree
02-19-2014, 10:07 AM
They should have sent more alerts and sooner.

-King-
Get a better phone. My phone was on silent and the only reason I even noticed the alerts was because I looked at my phone to check my email. I saw tha Amber Alert on television.

I have the S3. Its good enough. I work with people with all kinds of phones and they all started ringing at once even though most people have them on silent or vibrate.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
I get it. You and King are complaining that there were too many alerts sent out. Do you also complain when your drunken redneck friends send dozens of texts talking about how many Natty Lights ya'll pounded in the garage while talking about the numerous fat women you banged in high school?

Wut?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Did the alerts break your phone?
Again, someone is not reading and comprehending what is being said. If you were actually paying attention, you would've seen where I posted that I have never received an Amber Alert on my phone. I was made aware of the situation via facebook early yesterday evening though.

And if you had actually read and comprehended the post I was responding to, you would have known that the author of said post suggested turning the volume down on the phone, which would have rendered it useless for incoming calls, thereby giving up personal use of his phone.

Does that adequately explain things for you? Or do I need to draw you some pictures too?

allen_kcCard
02-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Take the amber alert spam discussion to another thread.

Brock
02-19-2014, 10:11 AM

Chiefsplanet gonna chiefsplanet.

TLO
02-19-2014, 10:12 AM
Again, someone is not reading and comprehending what is being said. If you were actually paying attention, you would've seen where I posted that I have never received an Amber Alert on my phone. I was made aware of the situation via facebook early yesterday evening though.

And if you had actually read and comprehended the post I was responding to, you would have known that the author of said post suggested turning the volume down on the phone, which would have rendered it useless for incoming calls, thereby giving up personal use of his phone.

Does that adequately explain things for you? Or do I need to draw you some pictures too?

Your and idiot.

(Pictures would be nice.)

TLO
02-19-2014, 10:13 AM

:clap:

J Diddy
02-19-2014, 10:13 AM

Dude, I'm so sorry. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family right now.

There is a special place in hell for people like this and I'm hoping that we expeditiously send this sick bastard there.

Omaha
02-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Is that how the opt out thing works? It would make more sense to opt out of the alert once you're aware of the situation and then only receive new information if necessary. I would hope the next amber alert would go out to everyone again.

Donger
02-19-2014, 10:18 AM
My God. I'm so sorry MTG. My thoughts are with you and your family during this horrible time.

HonestChieffan
02-19-2014, 10:20 AM

Prayers for you and the family. Cannot begin to imagine this. Bad things should not happen to children.

Fairplay
02-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Truly a sad situation, prayers and thoughts to her family and friends of this precious little girl

TLO
02-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Prayers for you and the family. Cannot begin to imagine this. Bad things should not happen to children.

And to think the guy who did it was a teacher... :shake:

BlackHelicopters
02-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Prayers to MTG and the entire family.

MOhillbilly
02-19-2014, 10:28 AM
And?

His brother and I were super tight when I was a kid.

I hope he fries.

TLO
02-19-2014, 10:30 AM
I hope he fries.

Yes. Hopefully they put him in the express lane to get him there.

TLO
02-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Or just throw him in gen pop for a while.

MOhillbilly
02-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Funny thing is his brother works/worked in law enforcement.

Dartgod
02-19-2014, 10:35 AM

There is absolutely no reason to send out 5 alerts in a 15 minute period.

That said, it wouldn't bother me if I did get them. I've never gotten one on my phone. Is this something I have to sign up for?

seaofred
02-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Precisely what I was thinking. "I can't believe he didn't see us sitting in the garage." Well then F'ING CHASE HIM DOWN!! I don't know...maybe they're elderly or disabled or something and I'm jumping to conclusions, but it angered me to read that.

One of the articles I read, said the guy did try to run him down while his wife wrote down the license plate number. Then they called 911.

tooge
02-19-2014, 10:37 AM
the article said he did try to "run him down" on foot. Everyone knows that the only people that can effectively run a car down on foot are CPers

ChiTown
This makes me sad. My thoughts are with MTG and his Family. I don't even want to try and imagine what they are going through right now.:deevee:

TLO
One of the articles I read, said the guy did try to run him down while his wife wrote down the license plate number. Then they called 911.

At least they got that much if true.

I would have followed the truck across the country if neccessary.

Dartgod
02-19-2014, 10:38 AM

I read that too. If not for them, the police may have had no leads and the sick bastard would still be walking around. Too bad they did not get to him in time, but because of this couple they were able to locate the truck and suspect within a 4 hour or so time frame.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Might I suggest further debate about the frequent alerts as it relates to annoying people be continued here?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281574

The Franchise
02-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Maybe the people who got the license plate number are disabled or elderly. Bashing them for not doing more when you don't know the full story is bullshit

Why Not?
02-19-2014, 10:42 AM

I can't knock the guy, he was not negligent in his duty as a good citizen. However I think the feel of some is that, and I'll just speak for me, is as my wife is calling the cops I'm hopping in my car to try and follow so at the very least I can try to keep eyes on him. However I don't know enough about this guy(age, if he could even drive, etc)to know what he "should have done". At least they let the cops know so this sick piece of shit could be caught.

kepp

Ah, OK...I was hoping I missed something.

TLO
I read that too. If not for them, the police may have had no leads and the sick bastard would still be walking around. Too bad they did not get to him in time, but because of this couple they were able to locate the truck and suspect within a 4 hour or so time frame.

Yep.4 hours is a pretty good response time. Too bad it wasn't enough. :(

MTG#10
02-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Hailey just stayed with us two weekends ago. Sweetest girl ever and was more like a sister than a cousin to my children. Thanks for all the prayers, her mom is a wreck right now and definitely needs them.

oldandslow
02-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Hailey just stayed with us two weekends ago. Sweetest girl ever and was more like a sister than a cousin to my children. Thanks for all the prayers, her mom is a wreck right now and definitely needs them.

Prayers to God about your family mtg 10...It doesn't get any worse than this.

Why Not?
02-19-2014, 10:45 AM

My heart hurts for your family. This is fucked.

Omaha
02-19-2014, 10:49 AM

This makes me sick. I can't even imagine how this feels.

TLO
02-19-2014, 10:51 AM

Just wish there was more I could do. Stories like this always hit hard. Stay strong and let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

And may justice and God have no mercy on that man.

Bweb
02-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Live stream of news conference at 11:00 am this morning....

http://www.ktul.com/story/24759086/amber-alert-issued-out-of-missouri

Dante84
02-19-2014, 11:02 AM
You know, I figured out how I'd like to die, if it were up to me.

It would be dying in the process of rescuing an innocent victim like this. Chasing a SOB down, and fighting to the death to save the victims life.

notorious
02-19-2014, 11:11 AM
Fuck this world.

Radar Chief
02-19-2014, 11:24 AM
You know, I figured out how I'd like to die, if it were up to me.

It would be dying in the process of rescuing an innocent victim like this. Chasing a SOB down, and fighting to the death to save the victims life.

Fathers. If this was your daughter would you, could you, let the law handle it?
Maybe it’s just me but I struggle with that question because I don’t know if I could.
I would, of course, then have to pay the price for my actions but at least this POS wouldn’t be around to hurt anyone else’s child.

allen_kcCard
02-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Maybe it’s just me but I struggle with that question because I don’t know if I could.
I would, of course, then have to pay the price for my actions but at least this POS wouldn’t be around to hurt anyone else’s child.

If she was my only child? I wouldn't care anymore and would take the chance if I got it. I have three kids though, and I wouldn't let the fucker take my other two away from me, or me from them.

Radar Chief
02-19-2014, 11:30 AM
If she was my only child? I wouldn't care anymore and would take the chance if I got it. I have three kids though, and I wouldn't let the ****er take my other two away from me, or me from them.

Good point.
I’m a single child parent.

Dartgod
02-19-2014, 11:31 AM
I can't knock the guy, he was not negligent in his duty as a good citizen. However I think the feel of some is that, and I'll just speak for me, is as my wife is calling the cops I'm hopping in my car to try and follow so at the very least I can try to keep eyes on him. However I don't know enough about this guy(age, if he could even drive, etc)to know what he "should have done". At least they let the cops know so this sick piece of shit could be caught.

According to the recent press conference, there were other witnesses that attempted to chase him down, at least one of them was in another vehicle, but they lost him in the chase.

And prayers out to MTG and his family and the parents of the little girl. It's absolutely sickening. I have no children and can't comprehend what they must be going through.

tooge
02-19-2014, 11:32 AM
MTG, prayers to your entire family. I wish I could help you all.

allen_kcCard
02-19-2014, 11:33 AM
According to the recent press conference, there were other witnesses that attempted to chase him down, at least one of them was in another vehicle, but they lost him in the chase.

Not being family or a personal friend....that person that knows they were the last chance to save that girl probably is having a hard night/day.

LoneWolf
02-19-2014, 11:44 AM

My prayers go out to you and Hailey's family. Sorry for turning this thread into a pissing match about the Amber Alert system. I can't imagine how any family gets through something like this.

wazu
02-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Not being family or a personal friend....that person that knows they were the last chance to save that girl probably is having a hard night/day.

I'm sure they all are. Not like people are just sitting around in their cars, waiting for a life or death car chase to begin. Picture a truck speeding away. Best case scenario is a witness with keys already in their pocket and car out of their garage. They have to sprint to their car, get in, turn it on, and speed away after a truck that has what, a 30 second head start with the gas pedal completely floored? Also, this person remembers and has accurately filed away the color and make of the vehicle they are supposed to be following.

Stewie
02-19-2014, 11:58 AM
This is messed up. I hope the guy fries.

Didn't a very similar thing happen last year around Springfield. I think a girl was kidnapped from a playground and killed.

Cephalic Trauma
02-19-2014, 11:59 AM

:(

I'm sorry, man. That is fucking awful.

Sensual Lardass
02-19-2014, 12:08 PM

Prayers going out. I can't begin to imagine how this must feel.

Jimmya
02-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Prayers for all the family sent!

Fat Elvis
02-19-2014, 12:11 PM

No.

Fat Elvis
02-19-2014, 12:26 PM
This is messed up. I hope the guy fries.

Didn't a very similar thing happen last year around Springfield. I think a girl was kidnapped from a playground and killed.

Nope. Disemboweled. Very publicly.

02-19-2014, 12:35 PM
I'm sure they all are. Not like people are just sitting around in their cars, waiting for a life or death car chase to begin. Picture a truck speeding away. Best case scenario is a witness with keys already in their pocket and car out of their garage. They have to sprint to their car, get in, turn it on, and speed away after a truck that has what, a 30 second head start with the gas pedal completely floored? Also, this person remembers and has accurately filed away the color and make of the vehicle they are supposed to be following.

Yup. At least they contributed to getting this sick asshole off the street.

Lex Luthor
02-19-2014, 12:41 PM

I am really sorry that this happened to your family. I can't imagine the rage and sorrow that I'd be feeling if this were my niece.

saphojunkie
02-19-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm liberal as shit, and I say one bullet.

I believe humans have rights, and this fucker isn't human.

Eleazar
02-19-2014, 12:44 PM
A bullet is too good for this piece of debris.

The US should operate a gulag in Alaska for people who hurt children.

Fansy the Famous Bard
02-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Tattoo a big USA flag on the guys back, strip him naked and drop him off in the middle of nowhere, northern Afghanistan. Give him a broken compass and say "good luck" after shooting off a couple of flares for the Taliban night-watch.

Pitt Gorilla
02-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Hailey is my niece. Words cannot describe what I want to do tho this piece of shit right now.So sorry to hear that. Take care of everyone in your family.

Lzen
02-19-2014, 12:59 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe this has already been addressed but I question why they were still sending out amber alerts by that time if her body was discovered hours earlier.

Lzen
02-19-2014, 01:05 PM
His brother and I were super tight when I was a kid.

I hope he fries.

I'm curious if he ever showed any signs of being capable of something like this. I can't even fathom how he managed to get a teaching job.

srvy
02-19-2014, 01:06 PM
I have no words. All I can give is prayers for the family and wish that precious lil girl did not have to suffer long.

As for the scum that took that little girl I hope there is a special hell where this guy ends up and suffers every minute and every second of every hour for eternity.

Dante84
02-19-2014, 01:08 PM
How are we not putting teachers, coaches, and district employees through serious vetting processes prior to hire? Like, psychological evals, etc...

saphojunkie
02-19-2014, 01:10 PM
How are we not putting teachers, coaches, and district employees through serious vetting processes prior to hire? Like, psychological evals, etc...

The inevitable debate between security and privacy.

Why Not?
02-19-2014, 01:14 PM

Fuck no. I would try to get ahold of him before the cops did and get medieval on his ass

MOhillbilly
02-19-2014, 01:15 PM
IMO he was a drunk and a loser but I never saw anything that made me think child murderer. He wasn't violent just a drunk slob.
I haven't had any contact with him in over a decade but when I'd ask his brother about him it was always the same story.

Fish
02-19-2014, 01:17 PM

Very few schools would have the money for it.

Mr. Laz
02-19-2014, 01:24 PM
at some schools the teachers end up buying supplies for their classes

where is the money for vetting coming from?

FRCDFED
02-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Very very sorry MTG for this young lady to have been taken from your family. Thoughts and prayers for all. :(

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 01:25 PM
I'm sure they do, but some will inevitably slip through the cracks anyway. And it's not like he'd be off the streets if he didn't have a teaching job, he'd still be a threat if he was bagging fries at BK.

Lzen
02-19-2014, 01:27 PM
at some schools the teachers end up buying supplies for their classes

where is the money for vetting coming from?

Surely they at least run background checks. Heck, I was basketball coach for a few seasons in a church league and they ran a background check on me (and every other coach) every season.

Big Poppa Payne
02-19-2014, 01:27 PM
This is an absolute tragedy, I have a 9 year old little girl and this whole thing makes me literally sick. I hope this motherfucker gets dealt with in prison, I hope he gets ass raped every day of his miserable remaining life.

KC native
02-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Condolences MTG.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 01:29 PM
The guy had been with the school district for 15 years. What would a background check have accomplished?

KC native
02-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Surely they at least run background checks. Heck, I was basketball coach for a few seasons in a church league and they ran a background check on me (and every other coach) every season.

A background check doesn't predict the future. If the guy had nothing in his past to indicate he would do this then a background check would do nothing.

Mr. Laz
02-19-2014, 01:34 PM

I dunno

Maybe you could have one person that runs checks on the entire district each year. That shouldn't be too costly.

Lzen
02-19-2014, 01:36 PM
A background check doesn't predict the future. If the guy had nothing in his past to indicate he would do this then a background check would do nothing.

Did you even read the post I quoted? I was simply saying that the school should be able to afford something as simple (and important) as a background check.

And in relation to this, I might as well post what I just read on this guy:

Wood, whom Williams described as uncooperative, has a criminal record of drug charges. Williams noted that Wood has no known violent past, saying, "Nothing related to something like this at all." http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/19/search-intensifies-for-missing-missouri-girl-after-kidnapping-suspect-arrested/

I would think drug charges would be a red flag. Surely, that would have come up in a background check. Right?

Lzen
02-19-2014, 01:37 PM
The guy had been with the school district for 15 years. What would a background check have accomplished?

Maybe nothing. Or maybe they would have caught something. Perhaps this should be a requirement every year or every other year.

Buck
02-19-2014, 01:38 PM
This is horrible. I don't even know what to say MTG. RIP Hailey

ChiTown
02-19-2014, 01:41 PM
I would think drug charges would be a red flag. Surely, that would have come up in a background check. Right?

Maybe, maybe not. But, I can guarantee you that the fact that I slow paid a phone bill in College probably still hits my records. Fuck You SWB!

KC native
02-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Did you even read the post I quoted? I was simply saying that the school should be able to afford something as simple (and important) as a background check.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/19/search-intensifies-for-missing-missouri-girl-after-kidnapping-suspect-arrested/

I know that none of the school districts around here will employ you in any fashion if you have drug charges. Perhaps that school district is different.

Aside from that, drug charges are red flag for him being a drug user. Not a murdering pedophile.

MOhillbilly
02-19-2014, 01:42 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/19/search-intensifies-for-missing-missouri-girl-after-kidnapping-suspect-arrested/

Pretty sure it was a small amount of weed before he started with the district. Also pretty sure he was only a part timer.

I think he started out as a sub and part time FB coach and worked as a counselor for at risk kid type camps.

KC native
02-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Pretty sure it was a small amount of weed before he started with the district. Also pretty sure he was only a part timer.

I think he started out as a sub and part time FB coach and worked as a counselor for at risk kid type camps.

Yea, article said he was an in school suspension teacher which means he just baby sat the kids stuck in ISS. He wasn't a real teacher.

seclark
02-19-2014, 01:45 PM

wonderful.
sec

MOhillbilly
02-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Yea, article said he was an in school suspension teacher which means he just baby sat the kids stuck in ISS. He wasn't a real teacher.

I'm not sure he ever finished his degree. He went to school ( msu)FOREVER.

I wanna say he got pinched for weed in 95. He had a loaded pistol on him so we figured he was gonna do time but nothin happened.

srvy
02-19-2014, 01:52 PM
I dont know if there is any test to predict this kind of behavior. What I do question and maybe I herd this wrong. The guy pleads guilty for possession of drugs in the 90's and is hired by the SPS district in the 90's. I am all for 2nd chances but not around school children.

These predator creeps are everywhere maybe in your neighborhood or working right next to you. They are ticking timebombs that can do this sort of a thing in a heartbeat. I have a 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter that I watch like a hawk. The world is differant than when I grew up you just cant let them wald the neighborhood alone anymore. Just so sad.

Jimmya
02-19-2014, 02:05 PM
I strongly agree...... No 2nd chances when working with kids.

DMAC
02-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Set up a room and keep this guy in it. The room consists of monitoring machines and torture equipment.

Keep him alive for whenever the family wants to come torture him. Or anyone else they say can come torture him. For as long as they want.

Fansy the Famous Bard
02-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Set up a room and keep this guy in it. The room consists of monitoring machines and torture equipment.

Keep him alive for whenever the family wants to come torture him. Or anyone else they say can come torture him. For as long as they want.

Pay $20 to spend 5 minutes. All proceeds goes to the victim's family.

GordonGekko
02-19-2014, 02:16 PM

Or, or.. the family gets to put the guy down in the exact same manner the crime was committed. Or, or.. the family can have the choice to export this guy to North Korea or something in exchange for a bowl of rice or something and then the NK's get free range to 'execute' an American.

I really don't much like the commie countries (China, NK) but you have to admire how they deal with their hard criminals. They don't let them rot in jail costing the tax payers $millions, they just terminate their asses.

In58men
02-19-2014, 02:50 PM

Just terrible man, devastating.

Rain Man
02-19-2014, 03:04 PM
I'm really sorry to hear, MTG#10. That's terrible.

alpha_omega
02-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Prayers to MTG and family. RIP Hailey.

Katipan
02-19-2014, 03:17 PM
I don't even have the words or comprehension to convey anything, except that my heart utterly hurts for your family, and I'll be hugging a bunch of nieces and nephews today.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 03:29 PM
I dunno

Maybe you could have one person that runs checks on the entire district each year. That shouldn't be too costly.

Yeah, no. Pre-employment background checks typically cost at least a hundred bucks each. Much more than that if they're anything more in depth than "what's on the person's criminal record."

Fat Elvis
02-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Yeah, no. Pre-employment background checks typically cost at least a hundred bucks each. Much more than that if they're anything more in depth than "what's on the person's criminal record."

I have to supply a background check to be an official for USA Swimming- $29.00

DaFace
02-19-2014, 03:37 PM
I have to supply a background check to be an official for USA Swimming- $29.00

They're not checking much then.

Discuss Thrower
02-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Maybe more mental health screenings are needed...

DaFace
02-19-2014, 03:39 PM

I still want to know what any level of screening has to do with this situation. It's not like he abducted her while in school or anything.

Steron
02-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Dixie Youth, where I coach t-ball, runs a background check on us coaches. No cost. I can't imagine they check much. We have to be certified as well which costs like $20.00 or something.

IMHO, anyone working with kids should be thoroughly vetted. That said, it wouldn't catch all of them.

I hated to read the outcome of this abduction. Prayers to MTG and to the family. As the father of two young boys (8 and 6) this breaks my heart.

Discuss Thrower
02-19-2014, 03:43 PM
I still want to know what any level of screening has to do with this situation. It's not like he abducted her while in school or anything.

Everyone needs screenings. Not just school employees.

threebag
02-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Prayers to MTG and your families.

Lzen
02-19-2014, 03:52 PM

Well I suppose that's true. But one has to wonder if he ever did anything to a kid while there. Even if not I'm sure it is scary for the parents at the school to now realize that there was a monster working at the kids' school. And many parents may now be concerned that if this kind of person can get in then are there others.

Fat Elvis
02-19-2014, 03:57 PM
They're not checking much then.

Basically, "what's on the person's criminal record."

R8RFAN
02-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Prayers to MTG and the entire family.

srvy
02-19-2014, 04:36 PM
I would think a school district would get a pretty fair discount through the county sheriffs department in which the school resides. Like free.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 04:37 PM
I would think a school district would get a pretty fair discount through the county sheriffs department in which the school resides. Like free.

Well, if you think it, it must be true.

Big Poppa Payne
02-19-2014, 04:44 PM
I doubt any type of screening will determine if a person has this type of evil in them.

There has to be a special place in hell for animals like this who hurt children, there is definitely a special place in prison for them. I doubt he will make it very long in jail, they don't like little cowards who hurt children.

Fritz88
02-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Prayers to God about your family mtg 10...It doesn't get any worse than this.

So sorry MTG, so sorry.

Prayers sent to you and your family. That is beyond horrible.

ChiefsOne
02-19-2014, 04:49 PM

Very sorry MTG, my wife and I were both super sick about his last night and worse today. I can't understand or comprehend any of this, just know that tons of people are sick for your family.

Things like this make me want to be a vigilante.

Sure-Oz
02-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Sorry to hear for your family MTG#10.

Prayers and thoughts with you.

Really shitty news, i wish things like this never happend

Mama Hip Rockets
02-19-2014, 07:40 PM
The district does background checks on all teachers and staff who are working with the children in any capacity. Give them some credit.

afchief
02-19-2014, 08:31 PM
WOW. So sorry to hear things like this. Be strong for your family MTG. Praying for you and yours.

Unless its too painful, try and keep us updated as you deal with what will be a long ordeal.

Loneiguana
02-19-2014, 08:38 PM
From the sounds of the rumors I'm hearing (ear in child services (they have a fatality worker on scene)), he may have planned this. Had borrowed the truck.

Since he had no past history, I'm very scared that only means he never got caught.

From what I've learned over the years of having a child abuse and neglect investigator at the dinner table, you usually don't just snap into a child predator.

I hope to god I'm wrong.

Prayers to the family.

/please support your social services. Child abuse and neglect happens daily in MO.
//Those trying to combat these problems need public support.
///Numbers crunch has Children's Division investigators feeling the pressure
The Greene County Children’s Division office is supposed to have 38 workers investigating allegations of child abuse and neglect.
As of Thursday, there were nine.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20140112/NEWS01/301120018/Greene-County-Children-s-Division-abuse-and-neglect-investigators

/////Jackson County Children's Division falls short
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/07/4677566/report-says-jackson-county-childrens.html

J Diddy
02-19-2014, 08:39 PM

The way that mental health is considered abnormal is a deviation from the mean in a score. That doesn't necessarily mean that someone is an evil psychopath. Unfortunately, the only successful and guaranteed way to determine if someone's a sick person or not is the judgment of their actions after the fact.

Buzz
02-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Listening to the news was not easy, way too many details. Prayers MTG, stay strong.

Discuss Thrower
02-19-2014, 08:54 PM
The way that mental health is considered abnormal is a deviation from the mean in a score. That doesn't necessarily mean that someone is an evil psychopath. Unfortunately, the only successful and guaranteed way to determine if someone's a sick person or not is the judgment of their actions after the fact.

I'm just saying unless it's determined the killer has a prior history of abducting and murdering small children (which is of course sick by all accounts) then something fucked up happened with the guy.

Loneiguana
02-19-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm just saying unless it's determined the killer has a prior history of abducting and murdering small children (which is of course sick by all accounts) then something ****ed up happened with the guy.

molesting maybe.

I doubt murdering.

this might have been a oh shit just got caught moment.

Brianfo
02-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Prayers MTG. God will never give us more than we can handle. Be strong!!

Loneiguana
02-19-2014, 09:08 PM
molesting maybe.

I doubt murdering.

To add to this, everyone involved who witnessed and helped, called the police, got the license number, did everything right.

The call went out immediately. Thank you and God bless.

And that is also the scariest part. It still ended this way.

So depressing.

My prayers once again.

Discuss Thrower
02-19-2014, 09:13 PM
molesting maybe.

I doubt murdering.

Same scenario. No one just decides one day after over a decade of working with children ans says to himself "I'm gonna snatch up a kid today."

Chances are this guy has somehow gotten away with heinous stuff for a while but on the slim possibility he has a totally clean record then it's worth examining.

Phobia
02-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Can you imagine how those background checks would be worded in order to satisfy the dreams of some people around here?

Hasn't yet killed any children: yes / no
Predisposed to murder of children: yes / no

How on earth do you determine this stuff in a grown person?

J Diddy
02-19-2014, 09:21 PM
I'm just saying unless it's determined the killer has a prior history of abducting and murdering small children (which is of course sick by all accounts) then something ****ed up happened with the guy.

perhaps, perhaps not

Seems like the best thing would be to require a yearly psych eval but that's still not a guarantee. Might help though.

afchief
02-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Guy could be nuttier than a fruit cake but he still needs to fry.
Insanity plea shouldn't apply in cases involving adults harming children.

Demonpenz
02-19-2014, 09:38 PM
what was the deal with mass texts?

threebag
02-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Guy could be nuttier than a fruit cake but he still needs to fry.
Insanity plea shouldn't apply in cases involving adults harming children.

Amen. Or due process. You should be destroyed instantly if you harm a child.

tooge
02-19-2014, 09:51 PM
Parents, its a shitty world out there. There are freaks all over. Don't let your kids wander alone. Sick fucks like this guy are out there.

Al Czervik
02-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Truly heartbreaking MTG....So sorry for your families loss....
And not one Fuck should be given to the perp....
And not one bullet should be wasted....
I propose he is hung like a chunk of chicken and suspended about
1 foot over the largest gator swamp in Louisiana.....
Complete fucking garbage this guy is.....

Brock
02-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Can you imagine how those background checks would be worded in order to satisfy the dreams of some people around here?

Hasn't yet killed any children: yes / no
Predisposed to murder of children: yes / no

How on earth do you determine this stuff in a grown person?

It's not possible.

Phobia
02-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Parents, its a shitty world out there. There are freaks all over. Don't let your kids wander alone. Sick ****s like this guy are out there.

Wasn't she a block from her house? I let my kid wander around that distance every day of the week. She also knows to beat feet if any stranger comes around or a car comes near her asking questions.

J Diddy
02-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Wasn't she a block from her house? I let my kid wander around that distance every day of the week. She also knows to beat feet if any stranger comes around or a car comes near her asking questions.

It's a tough predicament for sure. I think you have to give them that freedom, though.

ThaVirus
02-19-2014, 10:12 PM
There was one time that I thought my sister had been abducted. I was 17 or so which would have made her about Hailey's age at the time. Luckily, it turned out that she had just gone with her friend to another friend's apartment in our building. It was night time though and scared the shit out of me. Literally the worst feeling I've ever had. Nothing even comes close.

I can't imagine how anyone in this situations feels. I'm sorry.

Jimmya
02-19-2014, 10:13 PM
It's very tough to keep an eye on them 100%, but you go to try to be as vigilant as possible.

BullJunkandIron
02-19-2014, 10:18 PM
MTG our family prayers to you and your family. I'm so sorry for your loss. I cry to think how much this will change lives. I'm so sorry how life will never be the way it was before this. Stay true to your beliefs and know we love you.

Deberg_1990
02-19-2014, 10:24 PM
From what I've learned over the years of having a child abuse and neglect investigator at the dinner table, you usually don't just snap into a child predator.

Yea, that's what's odd. He appears on the surface to just have been a mostly normal dude for most of his life....then just snapped and decided to kidnap a kid one day? Wut?

But it did appear to be planned. He kidnapped her, killed her, bleach cleaned it up, washed his clothes at a local wash, and boxed her up in some totes, then got caught all within a 3 1/2 hour period.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 10:30 PM

Good. One of my biggest pet peeves about modern society is our constant state of fear. While my deepest sympathies are with the girl's family, the fact is that kids aren't any less safe today than they were 50 years ago. In fact, most of the stats say they're more safe than they've ever been. Teaching your kids to be smart, but let them have some semblance of independence. Kids need to learn to be kids.

EDIT: Found this to emphasize the point.

http://i.imgur.com/T9fFasO.png
http://www.freerangekids.com/crime-statistics/

J Diddy
02-19-2014, 10:50 PM
Good. One of my biggest pet peeves about modern society is our constant state of fear. While my deepest sympathies are with the girl's family, the fact is that kids aren't any less safe today than they were 50 years ago. In fact, most of the stats say they're more safe than they've ever been. Teaching your kids to be smart, but let them have some semblance of independence. Kids need to learn to be kids.

http://i.imgur.com/T9fFasO.png
http://www.freerangekids.com/crime-statistics/
I totally agree with this but the reality is that it does happen, no matter the infrequency of it happening.

It is difficult giving my child that freedom out of fear but I reluctantly do for this very reason. He must be given the opportunity to live life and have some independence. I also discussed this with him and went through what he should do and while I have little doubt that in the community I live in he would be safe there are no guarantees.

BullJunkandIron
02-19-2014, 10:54 PM
I heard the Amber Alert didn't get broadcast til over 2 hours after the abduction. If true what took so long?

KC native
02-19-2014, 10:57 PM

Innumeracy is rampant in the US today.

SPchief
02-19-2014, 11:04 PM
I heard the Amber Alert didn't get broadcast til over 2 hours after the abduction. If true what took so long?at

That's when it went out across the state. It was out in Springfield within a half hour IIRC

chuxtrux
02-19-2014, 11:27 PM
I hope they spend some time and study the guy's brain and maybe get more clues as to how people end up like this. Then a bullet and be done with him.

BWillie
02-20-2014, 01:23 AM
Why arent there alerts like this when ANYONE is abducted? Why does it have to be a child. Ill sign up voluntarily to get alerts, but I want it to be for anybody abducted or missing that we can try to save

BWillie
02-20-2014, 01:38 AM
I dont know if there is any test to predict this kind of behavior. What I do question and maybe I herd this wrong. The guy pleads guilty for possession of drugs in the 90's and is hired by the SPS district in the 90's. I am all for 2nd chances but not around school children.

These predator creeps are everywhere maybe in your neighborhood or working right next to you. They are ticking timebombs that can do this sort of a thing in a heartbeat. I have a 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter that I watch like a hawk. The world is differant than when I grew up you just cant let them wald the neighborhood alone anymore. Just so sad.

Its not actually. The world is safer than its been in a long time. Violent crime is down. Children are safer per capita than theyve been in years. I know its hard to see after a tragedy like this but its the facts. As a species we should expect that trend to continue. Had a professor that had a word for it, something about as we become more intertwined socially and less isolated species become more peaceful if certain stimuli are present

Discuss Thrower
02-20-2014, 02:01 AM
Its not actually. The world is safer than its been in a long time. Violent crime is down. Children are safer per capita than theyve been in years. I know its hard to see after a tragedy like this but its the facts. As a species we should expect that trend to continue. Had a professor that had a word for it, something about as we become more intertwined socially and less isolated species become more peaceful if certain stimuli are present

But that doesn't fit the narrative Americans want to hear.

Deberg_1990
02-20-2014, 06:26 AM
But that doesn't fit the narrative Americans want to hear.

I dont know if its what we want to hear, but i do think the media creates a state of paranoia alot of times. But alot of that is just the digital age we live in. We hear instantly now about little incidents all over the world. We take in so much information. Probably too much.

Eleazar
02-20-2014, 07:07 AM
I think a major reason why these crimes occur today when they didn't in previous generations is the hyper-sexualization of our culture that's happened in the last several decades.

However, the press shamelessly turns every one of these tragedies into a media event. Long after the search ends, and the need to alarm the public about an emergency has passed, they - especially the local and regional TV news outlets - will still be feasting on it.

I don't think that the media needs to provide the garish macabre to the public that they seem to go out of their way to do once it's been handed over to the justice system. Reporting goes away, and driving ratings becomes the point of it all, regardless of the impact this has over time on family and society.