PDA

View Full Version : Science Scientists ‘Freeze’ Light For An Entire Minute

listopencil
02-19-2014, 11:34 PM
http://themindunleashed.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/freeze-light.jpg

In what could prove to be a major breakthrough in quantum memory storage and information processing, German researchers have frozen the fastest thing in the universe: light. And they did so for a record-breaking one minute.

It sounds weird and it is. The reason for wanting to hold light in its place (aside from the sheer awesomeness of it) is to ensure that it retains its quantum coherence properties (i.e. its information state), thus making it possible to build light-based quantum memory. And the longer that light can be held, the better as far as computation is concerned. Accordingly, it could allow for more secure quantum communications (http://io9.com/did-government-scientists-really-create-a-secret-quantu-499792112) over longer distances.

Needless to say, halting light is not easy — you can’t just put in the freezer. Light is electromagnetic radiation that moves at 300 million meters per second. Over the course of a one minute span, it can travel about 11 million miles (18 million km), or 20 round trips to the moon. So it’s a rather wily and slippery medium, to say the least.

But light can be slowed down and even halted altogether. And in fact, researchers once kept it still for 16 seconds by using cold atoms (http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v87/i3/e031801).

For this particular experiment, researcher Georg Heinze and his team converted light coherence into atomic coherences. They did so by using a quantum interference effect that makes an opaque medium — in this case a crystal — transparent over a narrow range of light spectra (a process called electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT)). The researchers shot a laser through this crystal (a source of light), which sent its atoms into a quantum superposition of two states. A second beam then switched off the first laser, and as a consequence, the transparency. Thus, the researchers collapsed the superposition — and trapped the second laser beam inside.

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/02/scientists-freeze-light-entire-minute.html

Gadzooks
02-19-2014, 11:36 PM
I've saved this from the hall of shame.:)

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Quantum entanglement communicators. Check.

All we need is some Eezo.

hometeam
02-19-2014, 11:40 PM
obligatory

http://i.imgur.com/EMrknJP.gif

Saulbadguy
02-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Shit.

Cephalic Trauma
02-19-2014, 11:47 PM
Glad they put that line in the about putting it in the freezer.

J Diddy
02-19-2014, 11:49 PM
I once froze a can of Bud Light. Does this mean nobel prize for me?

cosmo20002
02-19-2014, 11:55 PM
For this particular experiment, researcher Georg Heinze and his team converted light coherence into atomic coherences. They did so by using a quantum interference effect that makes an opaque medium — in this case a crystal — transparent over a narrow range of light spectra (a process called electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT)). The researchers shot a laser through this crystal (a source of light), which sent its atoms into a quantum superposition of two states. A second beam then switched off the first laser, and as a consequence, the transparency. Thus, the researchers collapsed the superposition — and trapped the second laser beam inside.

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/02/scientists-freeze-light-entire-minute.html

I don't completely understand this, so I'm going to say that it isn't true.
/you know who you are

J Diddy
02-19-2014, 11:57 PM
/you know who you are

I don't understand it either but my question is that if they can freeze light can I buy a frozen light beam to thaw out in case of emergency?

cosmo20002
02-20-2014, 12:06 AM
I don't understand it either but my question is that if they can freeze light can I buy a frozen light beam to thaw out in case of emergency?

Apparently the shelf life of frozen light is currently a maximum of one minute, so you may want to wait until they work out some of the kinks on the technology.

J Diddy
02-20-2014, 12:08 AM
Apparently the shelf life of frozen light is currently a maximum of one minute, so you may want to wait until they work out some of the kinks on the technology.

Hmmm, minute. I guess I can use it to light my room while I'm having sex, but what am I going to do with that other 30 seconds of illumination?

pr_capone
02-20-2014, 12:09 AM

on some shit like this??? you gotta get in on the ground stages, son.

Easy 6
02-20-2014, 12:12 AM
Meanwhile, the Bronco's still suck.

Cant freeze that.

listopencil
02-20-2014, 12:13 AM
/you know who you are

LMAO

cosmo20002
02-20-2014, 12:16 AM
I wish Austin would come by and explain how these guys completely fucked up and don't understand the first goddam thing about atomic coherences and quantum interference effects.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18uzd07m0rsr3jpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

sd4chiefs
02-20-2014, 12:22 AM
http://themindunleashed.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/freeze-light.jpg

In what could prove to be a major breakthrough in quantum memory storage and information processing, German researchers have frozen the fastest thing in the universe: light. And they did so for a record-breaking one minute.

Scientist are starting to do a lot of crazy shit with quantum physics. Quantum computes, quantum memory storage. I could try to explain but I'm a dume ass. It has something to do with a cat being dead and alive at the same time and then I get lost.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AEIn3T6nDAo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lonewolf Ed
02-20-2014, 12:34 AM

Is it tasty, I wonder?

J Diddy
02-20-2014, 12:35 AM
Is it tasty, I wonder?

It being light I assume not. probably filled up with that nutrasweet.

cosmo20002
02-20-2014, 01:04 AM
Scientist are starting to do a lot of crazy shit with quantum physics. Quantum computes, quantum memory storage. I could try to explain but I'm a dume ass. It has something to do with a cat being dead and alive at the same time and then I get lost.

Did someone post about that on here? I saw some article about that a couple weeks ago. That was some freaky fucked-up mind-bending stuff.

cosmo20002
02-20-2014, 01:14 AM
If light was frozen, would you be able to see it?
When you see, it is because light has traveled to your eyeball. If the light was frozen, the light particles wouldn't reach your eyeball to be able to see it. Right?
I don't know, my head hurts.

-King-
02-20-2014, 01:17 AM
Did someone post about that on here? I saw some article about that a couple weeks ago. That was some freaky fucked-up mind-bending stuff.

schrodinger's cat

BWillie
02-20-2014, 01:41 AM
Scientists learn how to freeze light.

Whatta bunch of fucking nerds. Why dont you learn how to make an affordable cell phone that doesnt die after 4 hrs instead.

Dayze
02-20-2014, 04:02 AM
or get rid of that final 1% on things that claim it's "99%" effective et al

BlackHelicopters
02-20-2014, 07:29 AM
I can rest easy,now.

Gonzo
02-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Ok, we can freeze light now and that's great but I have a few questions...

1. Where's my fucking flying car?
2. Make me a real light saber.
3. Why don't I have a fucking robot servant yet?

Freezing light doesn't help me one bit so wake me up when you invent something useful.

Graystoke
02-20-2014, 07:45 AM

1. Where's my ****ing flying car?
3. Why don't I have a ****ing robot SEX servant yet?

Freezing light doesn't help me one bit so wake me up when you invent something useful.

FYP

J Diddy
02-20-2014, 07:49 AM

1. Where's my ****ing flying car?
3. Why don't I have a ****ing robot servant yet?

These are all good questions and the only answer I have to give is that when Back to the Future 2 was made it was before the internet. They simply couldn't account for the wasted productivity caused by fapping, facebook and cat pictures.

Bill Gates fucked us all.

Jimmya
02-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Waisted money & resources on stuff that doesn't aid with daily life. That sucks.

Sully
02-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Waisted money & resources on stuff that doesn't aid with daily life. That sucks.

You're joking

PLEASE tell me you're joking.

tiptap
02-20-2014, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't have used the word frozen. I might have used the word trapped and trapped with retention of state. In a sense you can only get transfer of energy/information if the quantum states are matched up. The system had a variable condition for the crystal which switched from transparent non interacting to opaque so highly interacting. One beam of light was tuned to influence this switching and the other tuned light was "caught" "frozen" inside when the corresponding quantum states of opaque and transparent which were interactive and than transmitting. The light didn't leak out for over a minute and the original light escapes when the transmittance is changed again.

Rain Man
02-20-2014, 09:50 AM
I wonder how this gets put to practical use.

Sully
02-20-2014, 10:10 AM

The coolest ice cubes you've ever seen.

L.A. Chieffan
02-20-2014, 10:15 AM
why DONT we have light sabers? i bet its a conspiracy

J Diddy
02-20-2014, 10:16 AM
why DONT we have light sabers?

There exists that silly little problem of getting light to stop and to stay compacted rather than diffusing.

L.A. Chieffan
02-20-2014, 10:17 AM
There exists that silly little problem of getting light to stop and to stay compacted rather than diffusing.

pssh i saw it in a movie like 40 years ago

Donger
02-20-2014, 10:17 AM
"This is coherent light!"

"Oh, so it can talk, right?"

"No."

J Diddy
02-20-2014, 10:18 AM

Right up there with the electrical ball with the lightening things of electricity that looks like Nikolai Tesla's cool toy.

Great decorations.

Rain Man
02-20-2014, 10:19 AM
The coolest ice cubes you've ever seen.

That's worth the investment. We haven't really advanced ice cube technology since the 1950s.

J Diddy
02-20-2014, 10:20 AM
pssh i saw it in a movie like 40 years ago

In a galaxy far, far away has different rules for their light.

J Diddy
02-20-2014, 10:20 AM
That's worth the investment. We haven't really advanced ice cube technology since the 1950s.

We then swallow that light and are then able to piss in the dark.

Suddenly this sounds worth it!

L.A. Chieffan
02-20-2014, 10:22 AM
at the blue bayou restaurant inside disneyland they have ice cubes that change colors inside your lemonade. disney is considering suing probably

Sully
02-20-2014, 10:26 AM
We then swallow that light and are then able to piss in the dark.

Suddenly this sounds worth it!

Which seems like the greatest idea ever, till you realize then how much better your wife can see the splatters on the floor in the middle of the night.

Rain Man
02-20-2014, 10:26 AM
at the blue bayou restaurant inside disneyland they have ice cubes that change colors inside your lemonade. disney is considering suing probably

So Disney has not just frozen light, they've frozen rainbows. That's profound.

Sorce
02-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Glad they put that line in the about putting it in the freezer.

Then how come when I open the freezer some light escapes, tell me that smart guy...

HonestChieffan
02-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Frozen like cold? Frozen like freeze mf. Dont move!

Unclear

J Diddy
02-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Which seems like the greatest idea ever, till you realize then how much better your wife can see the splatters on the floor in the middle of the night.

It should improve the aim dramatically.

listopencil
02-20-2014, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't have used the word frozen. I might have used the word trapped and trapped with retention of state. In a sense you can only get transfer of energy/information if the quantum states are matched up. The system had a variable condition for the crystal which switched from transparent non interacting to opaque so highly interacting. One beam of light was tuned to influence this switching and the other tuned light was "caught" "frozen" inside when the corresponding quantum states of opaque and transparent which were interactive and than transmitting. The light didn't leak out for over a minute and the original light escapes when the transmittance is changed again.

Yeah. I think "frozen" was just thrown in there to get attention. This did intrigue me though:

And they proved the accomplishment by storing — and then successfully retrieving — information in the form of a 100-micrometer-long picture with three horizontal stripes on it.

“The result outperforms earlier demonstrations in atomic gases by about six orders of magnitude and offers exciting possibilities of long-storage-time quantum memories that are spatially multiplexed, i.e., can store different quantum bits as different pixels,” notes physicist Hugues de Riedmatten in an associated Physics Review article (http://physics.aps.org/articles/v6/80).

Rooster
02-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Yet still no hover board available for purchase? :harumph:

GloryDayz
02-20-2014, 11:06 AM
So, some Crout science folks went all Andrew Luck-on-KENdick Lewis on a ray of light.

Good information. But Andy can do it to KENdick anytime, for as long as he wants, so what the Gerries have done ain't all that!

GloryDayz
02-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Frozen like cold? Frozen like freeze mf. Dont move!

Unclear

http://media.techeblog.com/images/frozen-light.jpg

Fish
02-20-2014, 11:22 AM
Yet still no hover board available for purchase? :harumph:

The shoes are available at least....

http://upopin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/nike_power_laces_in_action.gif

ThatRaceCardGuy
02-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Well...apparently you can "freeze" light for a whole minute.There are multiple universes bruising each other. ...but the Chiefs can't hold a 28 point lead after the second half?!?!?...FMLAACF! LOL.

Rausch
02-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Well...apparently you can "freeze" light for a whole minute.There are multiple universes bruising each other. ...but the Chiefs can't hold a 28 point lead after the second half?!?!?

We'll be able to safely travel to alternate universes before the Chiefs win a SB in this one...

Mr. Laz
02-20-2014, 12:16 PM
trolling mult or inbred tard?

Rausch
02-20-2014, 12:29 PM

Both...

J Diddy
02-20-2014, 12:48 PM

I think you can take all four words and use them interchangeably.
trolling tard, trolling inbred, inbred mult, or mult tard all work sufficiently for this feller.

Rausch
02-20-2014, 12:49 PM
trolling tard, trolling inbred, inbred mult, or mult tard all work sufficiently for this feller.

Solid science right there...

cosmo20002
02-20-2014, 01:08 PM

"Trolling" implies he is purposefully expressing stupidity that may not be real. The impression I get from him is that the stupidity is real and natural.

Pablo
02-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Jimmya is a houstonwhodat mult.

LMAO

J Diddy
02-20-2014, 01:49 PM
"Trolling" implies he is purposefully expressing stupidity that may not be real. The impression I get from him is that the stupidity is real and natural.

Good point. So he's either a really, really good troll or a really, really stupid individual.

J Diddy
02-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Jimmya is a houstonwhodat mult.

LMAO

Ban em both and lot mods sort em out.

AustinChief
02-20-2014, 05:12 PM
I wish Austin would come by and explain how these guys completely fucked up and don't understand the first goddam thing about atomic coherences and quantum interference effects.

It's almost funny how completely ignorant you are about my views that you somehow think I'm anti-science. Quite the opposite.

The actual science behind this isn't that new. "freezing" light using Bose-Einstein condensates has been done for over 10 years now... but the engineering behind this is truly impressive to stretch it from fractions of a second to a full minute.

HUGE leap forward for quantum computing.

Rain Man
02-20-2014, 05:19 PM
If light can be fossilized, archaeologists could dig it out and then physicists could activate it and we could all see dinosaurs and mammoths and stuff. I would really be into that.

Mr. Laz
02-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Maybe they can make popsicles out of frozen light, then we can eat it and make our stomachs glow like a night light.

just sayin'

WilliamTheIrish
02-20-2014, 05:22 PM
/you know who you are

If they froze it for more than 6,000 years it's fake because SCIENCE!

BIG_DADDY
02-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Wow, that is very cool.

cosmo20002
02-20-2014, 05:33 PM
It's almost funny how completely ignorant you are about my views that you somehow think I'm anti-science. Quite the opposite.

The actual science behind this isn't that new. "freezing" light using Bose-Einstein condensates has been done for over 10 years now... but the engineering behind this is truly impressive to stretch it from fractions of a second to a full minute.

HUGE leap forward for quantum computing.

I don't think you're anti-science.
It just always seems that you know way more than the scientist folk who have actually studied this stuff for their whole lives and do this stuff every day for years and years. The whole Cliff Clavin thing.

stonedstooge
02-20-2014, 05:35 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2ftvh9eWkAc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigRedChief
02-20-2014, 06:38 PM
In what could prove to be a major breakthrough in quantum memory storage and information processing, German researchers have frozen the fastest thing in the universe: light. And they did so for a record-breaking one minuteFrom the Science is cool thread
Everyone know the future of secure communications is using Quantum theories. The problem has been that only scientific labs or huge businesses have enough quantum memory to run the math to encrypt and decrypt.

Now they have figured out a way to not use quantum memory.

http://phys.org/news/2014-02-quantum-scheme-memories.html

http://cdn.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/2014/quantumdigitalsignatures.jpg

GloryDayz
02-20-2014, 07:29 PM
What will this mean for the Fleshlight?

listopencil
02-21-2014, 12:19 AM
From the Science is cool thread

Interesting. Are they saying that the nature of the data eliminates the security problem of using a classic connection or hub?