PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL to adopt 15-yard penalty for use of racial slur?

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-21-2014, 06:11 PM
NFL to adopt 15-yard penalty for use of racial slur?
February 21, 2014 7:06 pm ET

John Wooten, head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance that monitors diversity in the NFL, said he expects the league's competition committee to enact a rule at the owner's meeting next month making it an automatic 15-yard penalty if a player uses the N-word on the field, with a second infraction meriting an ejection.

Wooten spoke about his desire to eradicate the word completely from NFL workplaces at the Fritz Pollard event during the combine, wanting it to be fineable and policed throughout team facilities, and received a standing ovation according to those in attendance. Wooten said he will continue being vigilant about this with the NFL office and Commissioner Roger Goodell.

"I will be totally shocked if the competition committee does not uphold us on what we're trying to do," Wooten said. "We want this word to be policed from the parking lot to the equipment room to the locker room. Secretaries, PR people, whoever, we want it eliminated completely and want it policed everywhere."

The NFL had no comment, but league sources did confirm that the idea of "respect" among teammates is a priority. The league is studying major changes to workplace policies in the wake of the Wells report, and Goodell and Troy Vincent from the league office have already met with 35 players to discuss issues of workplace conduct.

Wooten said the competition committee will formally decide whether or not to support his measure at the meeting in March, and then present it to owners. Wooten is "extremely hopeful" it will pass.

"I think they're going to do what needs to be done here," he said. "There is too much disrespect in the game."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24451604/nfl-to-adopt-15-yard-penalty-for-use-of-racial-slur

In58men
02-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Damn crackers

02-21-2014, 06:18 PM
For the life of me I do not understand why anyone still uses that word.

ModSocks
02-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Lame. There is a big difference from the word Nigger and Nigga.

I doubt many players are calling each other niggers as it is. If they plan on applying this rule to the word Nigga....that's a fucking fail. Nigga is the same thing as "bro".

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-21-2014, 06:19 PM
What about fucktard ?

RealSNR
02-21-2014, 06:20 PM
No Fun League

02-21-2014, 06:21 PM
Lame. There is a big difference from the word ****er and ****a.

I doubt many players are calling each other ****ers as it is. If they plan on applying this rule to the word ****a....that's a ****ing fail. ****a is the same thing as "bro".

Oh come on man. Its the same word with a different ending. It isn't a fucking term of endearment.

Donger
02-21-2014, 06:21 PM
****a is the same thing as "bro".

Then why not just use bro?

Bowser
02-21-2014, 06:22 PM
No Foul Language

Hammock Parties
02-21-2014, 06:22 PM
I bet they won't police use of the derogatory term for gays, though.

Bowser
02-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Oh come on man. Its the same word with a different ending. It isn't a fucking term of endearment.

That might be debatable by those that use the word regularly.

Clyde Frog
02-21-2014, 06:24 PM
What happens if a black player uses it toward another black player as a form of bonding?

Stupid fucking rule

TribalElder
02-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Since we as fans get no field audio feed this seems like another game altering penalty avenue. Can a team challenge a slur?

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-21-2014, 06:25 PM
If I read CP correctly they'll just switch to the word thug.

mikey23545
02-21-2014, 06:25 PM
NFL to adopt 15-yard penalty for use of racial slur?
February 21, 2014 7:06 pm ET

John Wooten, head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance that monitors diversity in the NFL, said he expects the league's competition committee to enact a rule at the owner's meeting next month making it an automatic 15-yard penalty if a player uses the N-word on the field, with a second infraction meriting an ejection.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24451604/nfl-to-adopt-15-yard-penalty-for-use-of-racial-slur

Perhaps for a third infraction players will be sent to a re-education camp.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/560/t0og.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/fkt0ogj)

WhawhaWhat
02-21-2014, 06:28 PM
What about donkey-raping shit eater?

Bowser
02-21-2014, 06:29 PM
What about donkey-raping shit eater?

Delay of game, 5 yards

RealSNR
02-21-2014, 06:29 PM
If Goodell keeps this up, the only foul thing that players will be allowed to say is "horsefeathers"

Bowser
02-21-2014, 06:30 PM
If Goodell keeps this up, the only foul thing that players will be allowed to say is "horsefeathers"

WHAT THE FRENCH, TOAST

HOCKEY PUCK

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR

Clyde Frog
02-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Use of the word "ginger" will from now on result in your team being called the Denver Bronco's from now until the end of time - Roger G.

Sannyasi
02-21-2014, 06:33 PM
I doubt this gets enacted. Its just silly. People try to act like they don't understand context anymore.

RealSNR
02-21-2014, 06:33 PM
WHAT THE FRENCH, TOAST

HOCKEY PUCK

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR

Reported.

Valiant
02-21-2014, 06:36 PM
What about the side lines? That is where it is probably most use.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
Use of the word "ginger" will from now on result in your team being called the Denver Bronco's from now until the end of time - Roger G.

Owned is now 43-8, so why not.

Bowser
Reported.

http://www.mayanrocks.com/blog/philiprivers-worstdayever.gif

Bowser
02-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Interestingly, Rivers may actually be the only one in favor of cutting out slurs and swearing in the NFL, maybe.

http://yougabsports.com/gfile/75r4!-!FFMLML!-!zrzor45!-!SPIFQJRK-QLDI-HHQN-OFJJ-MOKSLLIGNMGI!-!72y1nq/philip-rivers-confused.jpg

Mr. Laz
02-21-2014, 06:37 PM
only an idiot would think that this starts from Goodell

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
02-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Lame. There is a big difference from the word ****er and ****a.

I doubt many players are calling each other ****ers as it is. If they plan on applying this rule to the word ****a....that's a fucking fail. ****a is the same thing as "bro".

Nigga is clearly a filter evasion

Bowser
02-21-2014, 06:38 PM
only an idiot would think that this starts from Goodell

Of course. Everyone knows Michelle Obama is behind this.

OFF TO DC, FUCK-O'S

afchief
02-21-2014, 06:51 PM
This is not good, very stupid, but not good. I don't know the numbers to back it up but I would guess blacks are the majority in the NFL with whites, Latinos and other races following in that order. This addresses only one race, what about the others? Soon you'll need a guide book to know what you can say. Everyone should know what using the N word implies in hostile situations. This proposed rule is trying to do the impossible. You can't fix stupid!!!

OldSchool
02-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Just stupid. Stop adding more rules already.

beach tribe
02-21-2014, 06:58 PM
What happens if a black player uses it toward another black player as a form of bonding?

Stupid ****ing rule

I'm pretty sure that's the only way it is used.

I have a hard time believing that any white players are out there calling black people the N word on the field and getting away with it with their own teammates.
This article acts as if black people are getting victimized by this, which I am almost positive is not happening, or there would be some ass whipping going on.

beach tribe
02-21-2014, 07:03 PM
If I read CP correctly they'll just switch to the word thug.

ninja

Eleazar
02-21-2014, 07:15 PM
How does the ref tell if it ends in -a or -er?

GloryDayz
02-21-2014, 07:15 PM
It'll be funny to see how some angry player taunts the NFL by using a different word.

WhiteWhale
02-21-2014, 07:32 PM
That might be debatable by those that use the word regularly.

Seems to me black dudes use it with wonderful versatility.

It can mean 'homie' or 'shithead' based entirely on context and inflection.

White people need such a word for themselves....

RealSNR
02-21-2014, 07:37 PM
What if a player has an inspiring quote about resilience that he wants to share in the huddle, and the quote comes from ****er Jim from Tom Sawyer?

GloryDayz
02-21-2014, 07:38 PM

White people need such a word for themselves....

At least the officials can LOL when one calls the other the "bloody byproduct of an anal crack-whore John's slipped dick into the baby hole".

TribalElder
02-21-2014, 07:41 PM
fans are getting too smart to fall for the bad calls for game play

Gotta do somethin

J Diddy
02-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Then why not just use bro?

Fewer letters, doesn't impact the same.

srvy
02-21-2014, 08:20 PM
The NFL already has this rule!

Unsportsman like conduct.

GloryDayz
02-21-2014, 08:26 PM
The NFL already has this rule!

Unsportsman like conduct.

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffft!

CoMoChief
02-21-2014, 08:29 PM
For the life of me I do not understand why anyone still uses that word.

Really? You don't know "Why?"

I can tell you why blacks use it. The word is cemented into their pop culture.

The gang and prison-like culture that's infested rap music and TV/Hollywood has completely ruined black youth in the last 30 years.

The youth have completely forgotten the actual meaning of the word and throw it around because hip hop culture has told them it's cool.

Baby Lee
02-21-2014, 08:48 PM
WHAT THE FRENCH, TOAST

HOCKEY PUCK

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sGbQbWLOWKQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bowener
02-21-2014, 08:51 PM
I am some what surprised this hasn't fallen under taunting in some way or another in the past.

GloryDayz
02-21-2014, 09:04 PM
I am some what surprised this hasn't fallen under taunting in some way or another in the past.

Because they want the positive press it's bringing. Remember, the NFL is nothing more than a naked attention whore these days, so any press is good press in their whore minds.

a pp roach
02-21-2014, 09:05 PM
can they use modified versions of the word, such as nicka/neiguh/nukka?

02-21-2014, 09:15 PM
That might be debatable by those that use the word regularly.I find that word offensive no matter who is using it or in what form they call it.

02-21-2014, 09:18 PM

The gang and prison-like culture that's infested rap music and TV/Hollywood has completely ruined black youth in the last 30 years.

The youth have completely forgotten the actual meaning of the word and throw it around because hip hop culture has told them it's cool.so you are saying the people using the word are too stupid to understand its history and meaning?

This still goes back to parenting.

TimBone
02-21-2014, 09:20 PM
can they use modified versions of the word, such as nicka/neiguh/nukka?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/22/ema6u3er.jpg

kcxiv
02-21-2014, 10:41 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/taTgp2O2R9E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NSFW extreme cursing

Eddie is one of the last of the great ones.

Baby Lee
02-21-2014, 10:44 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/22/ema6u3er.jpg

I'd warn you, but the thread, and the newscasters ahead of the cringeworthy parts, should suffice.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VY16_nKORb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ThaVirus
02-21-2014, 10:55 PM

Yep. Pretty much.

The youth have completely forgotten the actual meaning of the word and throw it around because hip hop culture has told them it's cool.

Blacks were using the word "nigga" as a term of endearment long before rap music came along. Actually, a user here, I believe it was Micjones, had evidence of Martin Luther King Jr using the word.

That gat damn MLK ruining the black community! THE HORROR!

Why Not?
02-21-2014, 11:12 PM
What if a player has an inspiring quote about resilience that he wants to share in the huddle, and the quote comes from ****er Jim from Tom Sawyer?

Legitimate laughter for at least 10 sec. Rep to you sir.

Easy 6
02-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Initial reaction upon seeing this thread... "yeah, its probably a good thing".

Secondary reaction to seeing this... "where does it end Goodell you Cowardly Lion".

There seems to be nothing in between these days, control everything at all costs... please just allow for reasonable personality and passion for the game.

kcxiv
02-21-2014, 11:38 PM
On a serious note, it doesnt bother me. I dont find it offensive. People like to use it, black people like to use it. As bad as it sounds as a Latino, it just feels like the white man is trying to ban a word they cant use. I could be totally wrong (yeah, ok im not), but whatever. This will just leave to more and more censorship. Soon they wont be able to even say curse words. We will all start see'ing this 6'5 340 lb's guys saying "gosh darn it, your a jerk" on the field haha

blaise
02-21-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm guessing it's basically to police black players saying it to other black players. I have a hard time believing white players are throwing out the n-word on football fields very often.

Just Passin' By
02-21-2014, 11:46 PM
I doubt this gets enacted. Its just silly.

When has that ever stopped these sorts of idiots?

RealSNR
02-21-2014, 11:47 PM
I'm guessing it's basically to police black players saying it to other black players. I have a hard time believing white players are throwing out the n-word on football fields very often.
I don't know about football fields, but they sometimes use it at Kenny Chesney concerts

blaise
02-21-2014, 11:48 PM
I don't know about football fields, but they sometimes use it at Kenny Chesney concerts

yeah, and that went over pretty well.

Easy 6
02-21-2014, 11:48 PM
On a serious note, it doesnt bother me. I dont find it offensive. People like to use it, black people like to use it. As bad as it sounds as a Latino, it just feels like the white man is trying to ban a word they cant use. I could be totally wrong (yeah, ok im not), but whatever. This will just leave to more and more censorship. Soon they wont be able to even say curse words. We will all start see'ing this 6'5 340 lb's guys saying "gosh darn it, your a jerk" on the field haha

You're last sentence demonstrates why over legality for NFL player language will NEVER be silenced, unless its a last gasp before the league dies.

As soon as they take the "game" aspect away from every aspect of it, the sooner it will stop being a game... as it was intended to be.

blaise
02-21-2014, 11:50 PM
I heard Manning was going to replace Omaha with the N-word next season.

RealSNR
02-21-2014, 11:51 PM
I heard Manning was going to replace Omaha with the N-word next season.

Hurry, nigger!

ThaVirus
02-21-2014, 11:53 PM
That would be hilarious ROFL

ThaVirus
02-21-2014, 11:54 PM
I'd love to see Richard Sherman try and crack that code.

Sorter
02-22-2014, 01:25 AM
Are we going to "mike up" everyone or are we counting on using the honor system?

Additionally, are coaches/players who say "God fucking dammit Brodie" going to be subjected to penalties/fines for being offensive to God-worshiping individuals/groups?

Phobia
02-22-2014, 01:37 AM
This is gonna be fun for them to enforce. Good luck. Lots of crying and gnashing of teeth will ensue.

Sorter
02-22-2014, 01:40 AM
This is gonna be fun for them to enforce. Good luck. Lots of crying and gnashing of teeth will ensue.

Absolutely.

Simply Red
02-22-2014, 02:07 AM
Donnie Avery is a true pro, he'd never use the N word.

DTLB58
02-22-2014, 02:50 AM
I remember everyone getting all upset about that RB lowering his head outside the box downfield 15 yard rule last season and I don't recall it getting called once.

I could kinda see that happening here with this one, just have it on the books, to appease someone.

LoneWolf
02-22-2014, 05:56 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/taTgp2O2R9E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NSFW extreme cursing

Eddie is one of the last of the great ones.

Did he really say "you wouldn't tell Picasso not to cut his ear off"? What a stupid motherfucking nigger.

BullJunkandIron
02-22-2014, 07:00 AM
Before I became an engineer, I use to work as a maintenance tech at Emerson / Copeland in Ava, Missouri. There was a guy there named Bob Severson who went around the plant and told everybody I was gay. Which worked great for me a lot of the woman made it there mission to convert me back. I ended marrying one of them. We've been together over 10 years. I often wonder there is so much made of calling someone the n word but when people want to call you a gay slur it's like it is no big deal. I'm confused. Is there a difference in the words?

mikey23545
02-22-2014, 07:24 AM
I'd love to see Richard Sherman try and crack that code.

LMAO

stonedstooge
02-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Before I became an engineer, I use to work as a maintenance tech at Emerson / Copeland in Ava, Missouri. There was a guy there named Bob Severson who went around the plant and told everybody I was gay. Which worked great for me a lot of the woman made it there mission to convert me back. I ended marrying one of them. We've been together over 10 years. I often wonder there is so much made of calling someone the n word but when people want to call you a gay slur it's like it is no big deal. I'm confused. Is there a difference in the words?

Reeding and Writeng Engineer I presume?

TimBone
02-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Donnie Avery is a true pro, he'd never use the N word.

Meh. I'm sure he drops it a ton.

GloryDayz
02-22-2014, 08:32 AM
Initial reaction upon seeing this thread... "yeah, its probably a good thing".

Secondary reaction to seeing this... "where does it end Goodell you Cowardly Lion".

There seems to be nothing in between these days, control everything at all costs... please just allow for reasonable personality and passion for the game.

Not that Goodell is anything more than a whore and the public-facing puppet shield for the owners, but I suspect this is something the owners are saying they want "press" about. Why????? Well, because they already have a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. It's like having a law for going 47mph in a 35mph zone - it's already covered by the broader law.

So I think the NFL's owners are just asking RG to do something, outlandish if need be, to get a conversation about "the N word" going thus affording the NFL more coverage in the press during the off-season. And this is the best RG could come up with.

I suspect the NFL will do these stupid things on an increasingly regular basis as their insatiable need for press coverage and being in the spotlight grows. They really are a political organization that has a few annual "football" days.

The NFL is quickly becoming one big fat-chick selfie these days.

BlackHelicopters
02-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Impossible to police.

CoMoChief
02-22-2014, 09:55 AM
so you are saying the people using the word are too stupid to understand its history and meaning?

This still goes back to parenting.

Not saying too stupid...I'm saying they've been brainwashed by pop culture the last 30yrs or so.

You don't see any 60 or 70 yr old black person saying that word, you know why? Because they lived during a time where segregation was still around and white people treated them like shit and threw that word around all the time.

And you say it goes back to parenting...which may be true to an extent, but how many of these black athletes come from stable households growing up? Not many. Many of these guys are growing up in the kind of culture that promotes the word, and promotes the gang-like lifestyle. Football is just their ticket out of that kind of lifestyle, though a lot of it still stays with them...just check out the NFL police blotter lol.

BullJunkandIron
02-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Reeding and Writeng Engineer I presume?

Funny you should ask. I engineer the dildo's you and your boyfriend use on each other.

ThaVirus
02-22-2014, 10:08 AM
You don't see any 60 or 70 yr old black person saying that word, you know why? Because they lived during a time where segregation was still around and white people treated them like shit and threw that word around all the time. .

Do you know any black people, breh? Older blacks use it as well.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Not saying too stupid...I'm saying they've been brainwashed by pop culture the last 30yrs or so.

You don't see any 60 or 70 yr old black person saying that word, you know why? Because they lived during a time where segregation was still around and white people treated them like shit and threw that word around all the time.

And you say it goes back to parenting...which may be true to an extent, but how many of these black athletes come from stable households growing up? Not many. Many of these guys are growing up in the kind of culture that promotes the word, and promotes the gang-like lifestyle. Football is just their ticket out of that kind of lifestyle, though a lot of it still stays with them...just check out the NFL police blotter lol.

I think that depends on where you're from. There are still isolated spots where women are keep barefoot, pregnant and used as a punching bag. Black, gays etc. rights are aways off

TimBone
02-22-2014, 10:33 AM

You're way off here. Blacks of all ages use it. And they've been using it for a while.

If I recall correctly, the original reason behind their using it was to take the power of that word away from the white man. They figured if they used it towards each other in an endearing way, then it took the negativity out of it. I could be wrong on that, but I could swear I read that somewhere.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-22-2014, 10:44 AM

Sounds like he wanted to put the moves on ya. He was just up to a little CYA of his secret in cause you rejected him ;)

ping2000
02-22-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm pretty sure that's the only way it is used.

I have a hard time believing that any white players are out there calling black people the N word on the field and getting away with it with their own teammates.
This article acts as if black people are getting victimized by this, which I am almost positive is not happening, or there would be some ass whipping going on.

This times eleventy billion.

kysirsoze
02-22-2014, 12:13 PM
I bet they won't police use of the derogatory term for gays, though.

They would need to expand the rosters first.

gblowfish
02-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Honky if you like white people!

kcxiv
02-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Did he really say "you wouldn't tell Picasso not to cut his ear off"? What a stupid mother****ing ****er.

lol, one thing about Eddie is he's drunk when he does stand up! haha He fucked that bit up, but im sure he's not the only one thats messed up a joke.

gblowfish
02-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Ok, so what happens every time somebody in Washington uses the term "Redskin?"

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Drunken people in the stands in headdresses... oh wait... n/m

J Diddy
02-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Funny you should ask. I engineer the dildo's you and your boyfriend use on each other.

Sounds hard. Real hard. I bet the hours are long. Real long. I bet you're excited when you get off. Really look forward to get getting off.

J Diddy
02-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Calling the running back a ******, 15 yards on everyone but the center.