PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 65

Rain Man
02-21-2014, 10:45 PM
The rules:

In Round 1, I'm going to put up three randomly selected scenes from the nomination thread.

You'll vote for your ONE favorite scene among the three. The key here is FAVORITE. We're not talking about the 'best' or 'most powerful' or 'most meaningful'. We're talking about the scene that you most enjoy watching, however you define that.

The winners will move on. I'll also take the 10 highest-scoring second-place scenes and they'll advance as wild cards.

Some of our nominations did not include clips. This will be noted. If you find a clip, please post it and let me know so I can update it if it moves on.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Tcwz8-EfFYE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/L7SkrYF8lCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LQEpyfH_Xxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser
02-21-2014, 10:46 PM
In before NB4

Bowser
02-21-2014, 10:49 PM
I'm going to go ahead and predict a landslide win for The Jerk in this heat.

Rain Man
This is a tough one. Really tough. My votes:

#1 - Little Shop of Horrors - Levi Stubbs' voice is great in this one, and I like the lyrics. It's a great scene that tackles the moral dilemma of seeking fame and fortune at the cost of others.

#2 - The Jerk - It kills me to not vote for this scene, because I really like it. "He hates cans!"

#3 - Old School - Will Ferrell is overrated, but I like Dust in the Wind.

Easy 6
The Jerk... Ferrell has done much better and the whole LSH fad was before my time, and even then, what little I've bothered with it says "not good enough" for this all time competition.

Rain Man
02-21-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm going to go ahead and predict a landslide win for The Jerk in this heat.

You think so?

I'm wondering if we'll have a generational divide here. Will Ferrell is worshipped by a lot of younger folks who may not know the greatness of The Jerk, while those of us in the older age brackets will feel the opposite.

I do really like the Little Shop of Horrors scene, too. It may be the best scene in the movie.

Easy 6
02-21-2014, 10:52 PM
I've never encountered a person so diametrically opposed to me when it comes to movies as RainMan, we're always the total opposite... you are the Mr. Glass to my Bruce Willis.

Rain Man
02-21-2014, 10:53 PM
I've never encountered a person so diametrically opposed to me when it comes to movies as RainMan, we're always the total opposite... you are the Mr. Glass to my Bruce Willis.

You must like bloodshed.

Bowser
02-21-2014, 10:55 PM
You think so?

I'm wondering if we'll have a generational divide here. Will Ferrell is worshipped by a lot of younger folks who may not know the greatness of The Jerk, while those of us in the older age brackets will feel the opposite.

I do really like the Little Shop of Horrors scene, too. It may be the best scene in the movie.

Eh, upon further review, maybe not.

The Jerk is an iconic movie, but those other scenes are pretty well revered also.

Easy 6
02-21-2014, 11:02 PM
You must like bloodshed.

It cant be gratuitous, all bloodshed must meet my approved standards of either...

a)realism
b)realism
c)realism

If the scene doesn't do justice to the truth, I don't want to watch it.

Rain Man
02-21-2014, 11:04 PM
It cant be gratuitous, all bloodshed must meet my approved standards of either...

a)realism
b)realism
c)realism

If the scene doesn't do justice to the truth, I don't want to watch it.

Apparently we do complement each other.

cosmo20002
02-21-2014, 11:54 PM
How are there so many Little Shop of Horror scenes in this thing? I don't get it.

I haven't seen a single Shawshank Redemption, and as I've mentioned once or twice, nothing with Leslie Nielson. What's going on here?

BlackHelicopters
02-22-2014, 09:05 AM
The Jerk

Rain Man
02-22-2014, 09:20 AM
How are there so many Little Shop of Horror scenes in this thing? I don't get it.

I haven't seen a single Shawshank Redemption, and as I've mentioned once or twice, nothing with Leslie Nielson. What's going on here?

I wonder if this is a proving ground that the random number generator in Excel is not great. I sorted all the movies in alphabetical order and then used a random number generator to seed them. But there is a definite clustering of movies that I am noticing as we go.

Oh, and I guess now is as good a time as any to tell you. There were no Leslie Nielsen scenes nominated. Apparently his scenes are not generally viewed as the best movie scenes ever.

TLO
02-22-2014, 09:29 AM
The Jerk made me laugh, so it gets my vote.

Deberg_1990
02-22-2014, 09:32 AM
I love that early Steve Martin. He had an edge to his comedy.

whoman69
02-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Hated little shop of horrors. Don't get the attraction.

wazu
02-22-2014, 10:01 AM
The Jerk scene is painfully unfunny.

jjchieffan
02-22-2014, 03:59 PM

I. Bet you're a Will Ferrell fan. I find nobody as painfully unfunny as him. Old School for example, was an okay movie. Would've been great without Ferrells stupidity.

Rain Man
02-23-2014, 04:50 PM
The Jerk moves on, which is a great accomplishment for someone who was born a poor black child.

Rain Man
02-23-2014, 04:55 PM

Have you seen the whole movie? This scene is funnier when combined with the scene right before it, shown here:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kOTDn2A7hcY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In fact, I might like this scene better than the nominated one.

cosmo20002
02-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Have you seen the whole movie? This scene is funnier when combined with the scene right before it, shown here:

In fact, I might like this scene better than the nominated one.

I've noticed with several scenes they aren't quite the same out of context, especially if you're not familiar with the whole move, but I guess you're limited to the clips you have available.

Rasputin
02-23-2014, 05:15 PM
I wonder if this is a proving ground that the random number generator in Excel is not great. I sorted all the movies in alphabetical order and then used a random number generator to seed them. But there is a definite clustering of movies that I am noticing as we go.

Oh, and I guess now is as good a time as any to tell you. There were no Leslie Nielsen scenes nominated. Apparently his scenes are not generally viewed as the best movie scenes ever.

Are you sure? I thought I nominated this scene from Dead and Loving it.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z4UdK0lBafM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
02-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Are you sure? I thought I nominated this scene from Dead and Loving it.

In a bizarre twist, it just showed up in Heat 67. I didn't know he was in it.

I guess I'll clarify that there were no nominated scenes from his Naked Gun or Airplane performances.

Rain Man
02-23-2014, 05:42 PM
I've noticed with several scenes they aren't quite the same out of context, especially if you're not familiar with the whole move, but I guess you're limited to the clips you have available.

Yeah, I've noticed that. I suspect it'll help the more widely seen movies, but there's not much that can be done about that.